New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

'Struth. In fact, I can think of one time I could've made my character shift but did a move instead, just to provoke an OA for the benefit of our defender.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Echobeats View Post
    If M is only moving 1 square, wouldn't that be a shift and thus not provoke?
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    While using a Move Action to Shift one square is something that all creatures and PC's have access to, not all movements of one square are Shifts.

In this particular case the move was multiple squares, of which the last two were shown for the question
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Barbarian in the Playground

While using a Move Action to Shift one square is something that all creatures and PC's have access to, not all movements of one square are Shifts.
    Well sure, but my thinking was, why would a monster ever provoke unnecessarily?

However, Nightgaun7 has cleared this up.
    Spoiler: Games I am in
    Show
    The Search for the Sky (D&D 4E) • Dvergula IC OOC
    Zeison Sha avatar by linklele

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 495

Do Unstoppable Advance and Sweeping Blow work together?

Unstoppable Advance: "Whenever you hit any creature with a melee weapon attack..."

Sweeping Blow: Has the Weapon keyword and is a Close burst 1
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    Q 495

Do Unstoppable Advance and Sweeping Blow work together?

Unstoppable Advance: "Whenever you hit any creature with a melee weapon attack..."

Sweeping Blow: Has the Weapon keyword and is a Close burst 1
    No. A close attack is not a melee attack.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Bugbear in the Playground

A495

To clarify- "a melee weapon attack" is an attack with the melee and weapon keywords. An "attack with a melee weapon" is an attack where you are using a melee weapon, which could be a burst, or a blast, or an Implement power where you have a way to use a melee weapon as an implement. In this case, it's the first language and so it doesn't work, but you may run into situations with the second wording at times.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q 496

I am a fighter using a polearm for my at-will I am using 'Weapon master's strike' which when used with a Polearm lets me,
    "Until the end of your next turn, the target provokes opportunity attacks from you when it shifts."

My question is if my enemy is 2 squares away within my weapons reach and I have marked the target using 'Weapon master's strike' do I only hit him only if he shifts or if he moves. What if he walks away instead of shifting away do I still get my OA.

Legend: P is me. E is Enemy. 123 are movement locations.

00E000
    00P000

So if I mark him with WMS if he shifts to location 1 or 2 I get an OA
    But if he walks to location 3 do I still get OA?
    So if it is triggered by shift is it triggered by all movement?

I would assume as a shift means a 1 square moment any walk or run would count as a shift, but that is where I am not sure.

Legend: P is me.

321P123

So any marked enemy using WMS or Combat challenge would get an OA when shifting within 1 or from 1 to 2 and just an OA with WMS if shifting from 2 to 1 but an enemy marked with WMS shifting from 2 to 3 would also get and OA, but he wouldn't need to use the shift movement he could just walk, but does that walk count as a shift?

Sorry long question someone else answered in another thread saying that on my first daigram I would get no OA because none of them are adjacent to me, but if that is the case what is the point of Weapon Masters Strike?

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

A 496

In the first diagram, you're not getting any OAs because you don't have "threatening reach". By default, no matter what size weapon you're wielding or how big you are, you only make opportunity attacks from something happening adjacent to you. WMS changes what actions can provoke an OA, but the power doesn't seem to change the default of only targeting adjacent squares.

Quote Originally Posted by M0stlyHarmless View Post
    Legend: P is me.

321P123

So any marked enemy using WMS or Combat challenge would get an OA when shifting within 1 or from 1 to 2 ...
    No -- Combat Challenge lets you use an immediate interrupt, not an OA. If you've used the WMS power and you have the Combat Challenge class feature, then when someone shifts within 1 or from 1 to 2, you get to make both an OA and an interrupt attack.

Interrupt is limited to once per round; you don't get another one until you've taken your next turn. OA can happen once per turn, meaning you get one for each combatant. Furthermore, OAs can be improved in several ways, such as the PHB1 fighter class feature Combat Superiority -- you get a higher bonus to hit if you have good Wisdom, and a hit also stops the movement that provoked the OA, in this case the shift.

Quote Originally Posted by M0stlyHarmless View Post
    what is the point of Weapon Masters Strike?
    Setting aside the bit about switching weapons and assuming you mean only for polearms/spears, letting you OA on a shift is pretty important. An enemy would be screwed trying to get away from you or even maneuver to a better position.

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Troll in the Playground

Q 497

Do the Essential classes have MC feats? I'm specifically looking for Slayer, Scout, and Elementalist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

A 497

There are no multiclass feats in the Character Builder for those classes.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Q 497

Do the Essential classes have MC feats? I'm specifically looking for Slayer, Scout, and Elementalist.
    Yes and no. You cannot multiclass 'slayer" but then again slayer is just a type of fighter and you can multiclass fighter. Most of the time you don't actually multiclass into a specific build/subclass of a class (with a few exceptions perhaps) most of the time you multiclass into the parent class and you may get a feature in that feat that is similar to what a kind of class build gets normally. You can multiclass fighter, ranger, and sorcerer easily enough though.

12. - Top - End - #1332

A497

MeeposFire's explanation is more complete. It is, rules-as-written, possible to acquire the Scout's Dual Weapon Attack, or in theory I guess the Elementalist's Elemental Bolt, by Paragon Multiclassing in Ranger/Sorcerer (DWA is a Ranger At Will Attack, and the rules never specify that said power needs to have a level, ditto the same with Sorcerer). There are some very powerful builds that do just that with DWA, but the Online Character Builder won't support it without house-ruling and you may run into some DM resistance. Note that this is not possible with a Half-Elf's Dilettante, which requires powers to have a level.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Troll in the Playground

Continued,

Actually, it's wrong. The Cavalier and Blackguard each have one, the Sentinel and Mage, as well as the Executioner and Seeker, and the Skald and Berzerker each have their own. As far as I can tell through compendium searches, it's just the Elementalist and the Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms that are missing them. But anyway...

Q 498

What issue of Dragon can you find the rules for Level 0 characters?
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

A 498

Issue 403, in an article with the title "A hero's first steps".
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-10-29 at 12:45 PM.

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Troll in the Playground

Q 499

As a hybrid Warlock with the features required but not the Hybrid Talent in order to get the regular Pact Boon, would using Bloodied Boon allow you to gain a Boon? It does not include any exclusive language, nor mention a normal boon in the feat.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

A 499 No: bloodied boon allows you to use "your" boon, not "your pact's" boon; and a hybrid warlock doesn't have a boon.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

17. - Top - End - #1337

A499 continued

(Kurald Galain is right)

Additionally, the feat Twofold Pact (Paragon level feat) does give you the full boon of your second Pact, based on the wording of the feat. Bloodied Boon could apply to that Pact, but it still would not apply to the first one.

18. - Top - End - #1338

RedWizardGuy

Q500: (woo!)

Is there any way to get any sort of heavy armor proficiency for a class that does not start with that proficiency, without taking the various armor proficiency feats, and excluding the Divine Healer/Battle Cleric's Lore trick?
    Last edited by Telwar; 2014-11-02 at 09:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q501

An assault swordmage has an enemy marked, and the enemy violates that mark. Can the swordmage choose to teleport to a square adjacent to the enemy and NOT take the mba? (In the instance that brought this up, the swordmage was marked by another enemy and didn't want to violate that other enemy's mark.)

Q502

A monk hits with blistering flourish. Does he get the +Cha to damage on his flurry of blows?

Justification supporting your answers would be appreciated.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

A501 By strict RAW, no, since the immediate action is "teleport and MBA". However it would be rather silly for the DM to disallow this.

A502 Yes, since FOB is an attack power according to the definition of attack powers in RulCom.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

21. - Top - End - #1341

A500

There is not (well, there's being a hybrid, but that effectively makes you another class, so no).

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    A500

There is not (well, there's being a hybrid, but that effectively makes you another class, so no).
    Strictly speaking, Hybrids gain the worse of the classes' proficiencies, so that only works if you use Hybrid Talent for the armor proficiencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

23. - Top - End - #1343

Strictly speaking, Hybrids gain the worse of the classes' proficiencies, so that only works if you use Hybrid Talent for the armor proficiencies.
    Or hybrid Cleric and take BCL, which is not quite as cheesy as MCing Cleric for BCL (and is unquestionably legal RAW). There's a reason that Melee Rangers like to hybrid Cleric- you get an Immediate action encounter, self healing, and don't have to pay too much attention to Dex. Same thing applies to Barbarians, for that matter.

24. - Top - End - #1344

RedWizardGuy

Q503:

Is there any actual penalty to using an armor you're not proficient in if the armor has no Armor Check Penalty, like Leather or Scale?

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Troll in the Playground

A 503: PHB page 212 "If you wear armor you’re not proficient with, it makes you clumsy and uncoordinated: You take a –2 penalty to attack rolls and to your Reflex defense."
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2014-11-04 at 12:46 AM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ogre in the Playground

A 503

Yes; you take a -2 penalty to attack and reflex if you wear armor you're not proficient in. See Rules Compendium p.265.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

Q 504

Sorry, the answer is probably pretty obvious, but I don't own the RC ... If a character is nonproficient in a type of armor but wears it anyway, can they benefit from:
    504 part 1: masterwork properties of armor?
    504 part 2: other properties of enchanted armor?
    504 part 3: powers of enchanted armor?

The PHB says you get the enhancement bonus, and the DDI Compendium says you don't get to use the properties and powers of nonproficient weapons, but neither source addresses masterwork at all or tells the whole story for armor enchants.

Current games list

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

A 500 Yes. Some Paragon Paths, such as the Bahamut-warlord one (can't remember the name, maybe Platinum something?) give you free armor proficiencies.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

Q505
    I fly directly over a target who is on the ground, and cast a spell which includes a Push effect. For a Push, each square of movement must move the target farther away from me; however, the target's origin square is adjacent to me and the first square it moves to would also be adjacent. I would rule that as "that counts as a push anyway", but I'm curious as to whether there is another solution. (I've seen a player claim "I'm in flight over a Huge monster, I can't be pushed away"--although he seemed to be forgetting that he could be pushed vertically as well).

While flying at Altitude One, I provoke an OA which has the effect "prone".
    Q506A Does this knock me prone, or just bring me to ground and end my flight? That is, would Team Monster need two Prone effects to make me actually prone?
    Q506B Once I'm actually prone, I assume I need to use a move action to Stand before I can resume flying?
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    Q505
    I fly directly over a target who is on the ground, and cast a spell which includes a Push effect.
    A505
    You cannot push it. Same effect as if you try to push someone who has their back to a wall. No movement option available increases the distance between you and the target, so you can't push them. Note that if you had performed the attack from any square other than directly overhead, you could have pushed. But not while overhead, unless there is a ditch/ramp/etc. in any of the surrounding squares.

While flying at Altitude One, I provoke an OA which has the effect "prone".
    Q506A Does this knock me prone, or just bring me to ground and end my flight? That is, would Team Monster need two Prone effects to make me actually prone?
    A506A
    Will depend on the flight rules applicable, but if there are no specific ones, as per DMG pgs 47-48:
    • knocked Prone: a flying creature that is knocked prone crashes.
    • Crashing: most of the time, a creature that falls from the air slams into the ground and takes falling damage as normal (see page 284 of the Player’s Handbook). However, sometimes a creature is high enough in the air or is a skilled enough flier that it can avoid a crash landing.
      ✦ safe Distance: a flying creature that crashes immediately drops a distance equal to its fly speed. if it reaches the ground, it lands safely.
      ✦ Falling: if the flier has not yet reached the ground, it crashes.
      ✦ Crashes: a creature that crashes falls all the way to the ground and takes falling damage.

Q506B Once I'm actually prone, I assume I need to use a move action to Stand before I can resume flying?
    A506B
    Yes. You cannot move while prone other than crawling, which rules out flight.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est