New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

Q 406
    a.
    If two different PCs both ready actions, and those actions are both triggered by the same event, the readied actions get processed in initiative order (the order they were readied in), right?

What if the results of the first readied action invalidate the trigger -- does the second action go off or not?
    b.
    If a PC has both a readied action and an immediate action, and both get triggered, does the PC get to choose which one fires, or does the readied action always fire?
    c.
    Combining the two -- if a PC has a readied action, and the conditions are met but another PC's readied action or immediate action invalidates the trigger, can that PC use an immediate action or is it already considered spent?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Q407: Lets say I have the feat Bloodied Boon (I can get my Pact Boon when I bloody an enemy, and this removes my curse on the enemy) and I am using a Rod of Corruption (Whenever your pact boon is triggered, instead of taking its normal benefit you can transfer your Warlock’s Curse to each enemy within 5 squares of the original target.). Would this curse the original target that I got my pact boon by?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2012-07-09 at 12:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

A 406

(a) Well, that's what I'd rule, but I don't think it is actually written anywhere.

(b) First, note that taking the readied action is an immediate action. Second, note that you have the choice of not taking your readied action even if it triggers. So basically, the PC has two immediate actions available, and can choose which one, but cannot take both.

(c) Only interrupts can invalidate an action that has started. If both PCs have immediate reactions, then you resolve one of them entirely; then if the other one is not invalid, it can trigger, and is also resolved entirely.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    A 405
    (3) Unlike with Conjurations, Summoned creatures and Companions get to to stuff like make OAs even if their stat block doesn't specifically say so; you just have to spend your OA to let them do it.
    Followup Q 408

It was my understanding that a summon can only take an OA if they have one listed in their stat block - the classic example being druid summons, that don't have OAs but instead get Instinctive effects.

Am I wrong? Can a druid summon perform OAs?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Followup Q 408

It was my understanding that a summon can only take an OA if they have one listed in their stat block - the classic example being druid summons, that don't have OAs but instead get Instinctive effects.

Am I wrong? Can a druid summon perform OAs?

Grey Wolf
    That has always been my understanding - as long as it has an MBA in its stat block, and you haven't used your OA this turn.

If I was wrong about this, then ignore everything I said above.

-O
    Last edited by obryn; 2012-07-09 at 06:57 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Followup Q 408

It was my understanding that a summon can only take an OA if they have one listed in their stat block
    That is correct. Arcane Power page 99 and PHB2 page 221 both state that the only actions you can command of a summoned creature are "crawl, escape, fly, open or close a door or a container, pick up or drop an item, run, stand up, shift, squeeze, or walk". Anything else has to be specified in the summon's statblock.

This is for reasons of balance. Attacks that don't require a standard action are strong; that's why every summon has either an opportunity attack or an intrinsic attack, but not both.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

7. - Top - End - #127

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Q407: Lets say I have the feat Bloodied Boon (I can get my Pact Boon when I bloody an enemy, and this removes my curse on the enemy) and I am using a Rod of Corruption (Whenever your pact boon is triggered, instead of taking its normal benefit you can transfer your Warlock’s Curse to each enemy within 5 squares of the original target.). Would this curse the original target that I got my pact boon by?
    A407: No to your actual question, but this is a bit more complex than it seems.

First off, by my interpretation of RAW, Bloodied Boon does not "trigger" the Pact (which is the requirement for the Rod of Corruption). It simply allows you to gain the benefit when the enemy you have cursed becomes bloodied (for the first time in combat). The trigger for all boons is for "(a)n enemy under your Warlock’s Curse is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer". Bloodied Boon says you "choose" to gain your pact boon, rather than something like "your boon can trigger when an enemy first becomes bloodied..."

But onto the real question you asked, The Rod of Corruption lets you transfer (i.e., remove from one and give to another) your Warlock's Curse. Thus, even if your Curse triggers outside of an enemy dying, the original enemy you cursed would be no longer afflicted (as the curse was transferred from them). "Transfer" is not a glossary keyword, but the way the word is normally used (and given the context of how the Rod of Corruption normally works) would indicate that the curse is removed from the original target, Bloodied Boon or not.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Q408:

Two questions along the same vein.

Who wins in a tie in the two scenarios below?

Insight vs Bluff

and

Perception vs Stealth

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

A 408

Seems to be based on whose activity provokes the check. The active character wins ties. E.g. if you're trying to sneak by someone unaware of you, you're the active one, and you only need to meet their Perception-based DC, not beat it. If you're scanning the shadows to find a stealthy enemy, once again you're the active one and you only need to meet their Stealth-based DC. So attacker wins ties.

10. - Top - End - #130

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    Q408:

Two questions along the same vein.

Who wins in a tie in the two scenarios below?

Insight vs Bluff

and

Perception vs Stealth
    A408: The above are usually considered an opposed check (i.e. my d20 + mod against your d20 +mod). In case of an opposed check, the player/monster/greater diety that has the higher skill bonus wins. Thus, if I have an Insight check of +6 (rolling an 9) versus your Bluff check of +8 (rolling a 7), you win on a tie as your bonus is higher. If the scores are the same (i.e. I instead also have a +8, and we roll the same number on the dice) than the dice are rerolled until a winner is determined (see PHB pg. 178).

However, it should be noted that ideally, passive perception and insight are generally to be used unless circumstances deem that the perception/insight character says they are actively using the skill for a specific purpose. In that case, the Stealth and Bluff checks are actively trying to beat the passive Insight or Perception DC of their target (10 + mod). The same rules on ties would still apply however.

11. - Top - End - #131

Q409

How does the Warden's level 2 ability, Endure Pain, apply resistances based on monsters that deal multiple attacks with the same ability? For example, Warden A has a Con modifier of 3, so according to the ability, he would gain Resist 8 to all damage as a Daily Power. How would the resistance be applied to a monster that deals 1d10+3 damage with Attack A, but attack B allows him to use Attack A twice in the same move.

Monster uses Attack B, allowing him to deal 1d10+3 damage twice. Would the resistance from Warden A's Endure Pain be applied to each use of Attack A or simply once to Attack B?
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

12. - Top - End - #132

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    Q409

How does the Warden's level 2 ability, Endure Pain, apply resistances based on monsters that deal multiple attacks with the same ability? For example, Warden A has a Con modifier of 3, so according to the ability, he would gain Resist 8 to all damage as a Daily Power. How would the resistance be applied to a monster that deals 1d10+3 damage with Attack A, but attack B allows him to use Attack A twice in the same move.

Monster uses Attack B, allowing him to deal 1d10+3 damage twice. Would the resistance from Warden A's Endure Pain be applied to each use of Attack A or simply once to Attack B?
    A409:

Endure Pain grants resistance to all damage he receives, even if it comes from multiple sources. He would reduce the damage by 8 for each attack from "Attack B", regardless about how many times he is hit. Resistance is applied each time the character takes damage, not per power.
    Last edited by Ashdate; 2012-07-11 at 07:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Q 410

If a power has "must be wielding x" as a requirement, is it implied that you must use that weapon for the attack in the power? That would make the most sense to me, but I can't find a specific rule to confirm that.

~EDIT~
    I've also seen some Essentials powers that say "you must use this power with x". Either the answer to my question is yes or they changed it to close up this loophole.
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2012-07-12 at 02:47 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

A 410
    The term "wield" is not officially defined in the rules anywhere, so yes, this strikes me as a loophole.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 411

This may be the stupidest question of all, but I'm new to 4E and have been roped into DMing by a bunch of other newbies.

Skills: Can everyone use all skills, but they just get a +5 bonus to the ones they've trained in? So, can a cleric use Stealth, just adding his Dex mod? OR can he not use Stealth at all because it's not a cleric skill?

Thanks so much!!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

A 411

All skills can be used by all classes. Some applications of some skills do require training, but most don't. If it needs training, it says so next to the name - Detect Magic, for example, of the Arcana Skill (but not monster knowledge, of the same).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-07-12 at 09:40 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

A 411

All skills can be used by all classes. Some applications of some skills do require training, but most don't. If it needs training, it says so next to the name - Detect Magic, for example, of the Arcana Skill (but not monster knowledge, of the same).

Grey Wolf
    Thanks Grey_Wolf, that's exactly what I needed to hear!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q412
    Does Wizards provide a free location to find the listing of all monsters by role and level? I do not have DDI.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

A 412

Yes. The DDI Compendium has some basic uses even if you're not a DDI subscriber. Amongst these functions is listing monsters, including information such as their role and level, as well as what book or magazine to find them in.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Q 413

Can I be directed to the rule that states a magic item with the thrown property becomes a boomerang, if said rule exists?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

A 413

PHB pg 232:
    Thrown Weapons: Any magic light thrown or
    heavy thrown weapon, from the lowly +1 shuriken to
    a +6 perfect hunter’s spear, automatically returns to its
    wielder’s hand after a ranged attack with the weapon
    is resolved.
    Catching a returning thrown weapon is a free
    action; if you do not wish (or are unable) to catch the
    weapon, it falls at your feet in your space.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q 414

Can the ritual Change Self be cast upon a willing person other than the ritual caster? I am aware it's called 'Change Self' but the compendium description does not indicate the caster himself is the only valid subject; it says nothing.

23. - Top - End - #143

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    Q 414

Can the ritual Change Self be cast upon a willing person other than the ritual caster? I am aware it's called 'Change Self' but the compendium description does not indicate the caster himself is the only valid subject; it says nothing.
    By RAW, only the caster can be affected by this spell. Any "targets" are listed in the ritual description. Consider a ritual like "Comrade's Succor" which specifies that "you AND up to five participants..."

Change Self only says "you", so only the caster can benefit from this ritual.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Q 415

To follow up on Q413 about boomerangs -- since the language refers only to ranged attacks,

(a) Does a monk using Starblade Flurry feat throw away his dagger?

(b) Does a weapon blast attack represented as throwing (such as several rogue powers) disarm the user?

(c) If so, and if the weapon blast attack has multiple targets, how many weapons are necessary to use the power, and are all the attacks rolled with a single weapon's stats?

25. - Top - End - #145

ClericGuy

Q 415

To follow up on Q413 about boomerangs -- since the language refers only to ranged attacks,

(b) Does a weapon blast attack represented as throwing (such as several rogue powers) disarm the user?

(c) If so, and if the weapon blast attack has multiple targets, how many weapons are necessary to use the power, and are all the attacks rolled with a single weapon's stats?
    A415: The answer to all of these depends on whether what is being thrown is a magical weapon that has the light thrown (such as a dagger) or heavy thrown (such as a javelin) property or not.

Magical weapons of any sort return to the owner's hand immediately after the attack is resolved (PHB pg 232). If you have a +1 Magic Dagger and a ranged power that requires you to throw daggers at six different targets, then you can use that single magic dagger to make the six different attacks.

Note that throwing any weapon that does not have the light or heavy thrown property is treated as an improvised ranged weapon, magical or not.

If you do not have a magical ranged weapon, you need to have a ranged weapon handy (such as a dagger or bow/arrows, or depending on what the power is asking for) for each target you attack (PHB 270). Non-magical ranged weapons do not return to your hand after being thrown, so you require one thrown weapon or piece of ammunition for each target that you attack.

To be clear:

a) The Starblade Flurry feat is clear that you throw the weapon in question. Hopefully, as a paragon tier feat, you've managed to grab a magical dagger somewhere along the line, so it will simply return to your hand.

b) If it's a magical light or heavy thrown weapon that you attack with, the weapon will return to you after the attack. Otherwise, you'll need to replace it somehow.

c) You could in theory throw different weapons (such as a dagger and a shuriken) with those powers, potentially dealing different damage and with different bonuses to to hit. You would need one non-magical weapon for each target, or alternatively, one (or more) magic weapon(s). You could theoretically attack with both non-magical and magical weapons, but why would you do that to yourself? Get one magical weapon, and never worry about losing it in a lake again.
    Last edited by Ashdate; 2012-07-18 at 06:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

My point is that neither of those things are "a ranged attack". The paragraph about magic weapons returning to your hand applies only to ranged attacks. Flurry of blows is a damaging non-attack power, and rogue blasts may work at a distance but they're not "ranged".
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-07-18 at 07:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

ClericGuy

I apologize, I misunderstood the rule you were confused by, but my answer remains.

Yes, neither answer is RAW, but in the case of a) the intent is clearly to be a ranged attack.

The PHB states that "A ranged attack is a strike against a distant target" (PHB 270); the feat in question says specifically in it that the weapon is thrown. Adding the fact that the feat specifically says it doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, the intent was the attack to be treated as being a "ranged" one.

In the case of b and c), again while not RAW, a single magical weapon can be used in an area attack (assuming the weapon is required). This is answered in the D&D 4e PHB FAQ.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the link. I hadn't thought to look there. And the answer given also addresses part A somewhat; while flurry of blows is still not an attack, the answer is broad enough to base a favorable ruling off of.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the link. I hadn't thought to look there. And the answer given also addresses part A somewhat; while flurry of blows is still not an attack, the answer is broad enough to base a favorable ruling off of.
    By the (new) definition in the 4.4 Rules Compendium, Flurry of Blows is an attack (because it targets an enemy and deals damage).

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 415

Technically not. There is nothing in the feat that says that the dagger actually leaves the monk's hand at any point.
    Similarly, close blast attacks do not involve throwing the weapon, technically. The flavor text implies that the weapon (or, in fact, many weapons) are thrown, but by RAW you can take a single non-magical thumbtack and use it to blind everyone in a 5x5 area in 6 seconds without leaving your square or it leaving your hand at any point.
    By RAW, one. And, by RAW, it never left your hand.

By RAW, only ranged attacks result in thrown weapons leaving your hand! And if the item is magical, it returns at the end of the attack. I've seen claims that this only happens when the power ends, which means a power that has 2 ranged attacks requires two thrown weapons, but I haven't seen definitive text that says that.

However, by RAI, I'd presume that you'd actually throw the weapon if it is mundane, and it would return to your hand between hits if it is magical. And similarly for starfury blade -- it would involve throwing the weapon at the additional target, and it returning to your hand afterwards.