New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

A 546 cont.

While a Ki Focus allows you to add its Enhancement bonuses to attacks made through weapons, it does not in itself enchant the weapons, meaning they would not return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 547

In wich book can I find the "Dwarven Thrower" weapon enchantment ? Even Mighty google couldn't help me on this one :(

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Troll in the Playground

A 547

Look here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

Q548 Anyone remembers the calculation for DPR when it comes to rolling twice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 549

With a critical hit, is the extra damage of a sneak attack also maxed? That means you could deal 40 points of sneak attack damage at lvl 21 (+ strength modifier if it's a brutal scoundrel)

If so, a critical hit on level 21 with the daily power attack Arterial Slice (Lvl 15) (Martial Power Book 2) could deal 50 ongoing damage if you have Bleeding backstab and Brutal wound (feats in Martial Power Book 1).

It seemed too overpowered to be true.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

A 549 Yes.

Also, that's not at all overpowered by level-21 standards, bearing in mind that you can only do this once per day, and you cannot guarantee when you'll be critting on it.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 550
    Can penalties to a save cumulate? If so, when you impose a total of -17 to a solo monsters save, how does it save? Can the DM consider a natural 20 on a save as an automatic save in that case?

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

A 550 Yes, they stack; although note that a lot of them have been errata'ed. Yes, if the penalty is big enough then the monster won't be able to do anything. No, a natural 20 is not an automatic save; but note that many high-level solos have abilities that let them remove conditions automatically.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 551

People say that some rules have been Errata'ed. Does it mean they have been modified? Where can I find those new rules?

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

A551

Yep. That's what it means. 4e is notorious for making changes. Here's a link to a list of those changes. If you just grab the top pdf it will have all of them, or you can grab each individual book you own further down the list.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

A551: Of course, it should be noted that "errata'ed" is not standard English, which may be what was tripping Naebryn up. Errata (singular: erratum) is a plural Latinate noun, referring to corrections made to a document. It's also come to mean, specific to the pen-and-paper RPG world, "a document detailing corrections and clarifications that should have been in the rulebook". But there's no good verb for "changed via a list of errata", so we have to cobble together verb forms from what we have. =)

Powers &8^]

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Q551

Hello again! :)

Amulet of life:
    Power:
    Encounter(Free Action)
    Trigger: Use this power when you spend a healing surge.
    Effect: You can spend an additional healing surge.

If Paladin with this amulet Lays hands on someone, he uses his healing surge. When using amulets power, does this extra healing surge heals Paladin or his ally?
    Last edited by ice4cow; 2015-11-22 at 12:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ice4cow View Post

Amulet of life:
    Power:
    Encounter(Free Action)

If Paladin with this amulet Lays hands on someone, he uses his healing surge. When using amulets power, does this extra healing surge heals Paladin or his ally?
    A552

The ally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ice4cow View Post

Amulet of life:
    Power:
    Encounter(Free Action)

A 552 The paladin. This is because the LOH power gives precisely one surge's worth of healing to the ally, and this triggered action from the AOL is a separate power that doesn't interact with that.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Question Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

Q 553

i'm also curious how Secret Language correlates from this background? if i select it as my option

Occupation - Thug

Type: Occupation
    Campaign Setting: General
    You were a thug, such as an enforcer, a tough, or a bodyguard. Did you work for anyone? If so, who? What sorts of missions did you undertake? Were you feared in your community? Or did you stand up for those who were too weak to protect themselves? Why did you leave? Did you leave behind any enemies?
    Associated Skills: Athletics, Intimidate
    Associated Languages: Secret Language

is this Secret Language different from this Unseelie Agent character theme?

Unseelie Agent Level 5 Feature (5th level): You can speak, read, and write the secret language of the Unseelie fey. This language can be used to communicate securely with others of your ilk.

are these two different?

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Q 554

i am having a problem with the character builder and what the compendium states, what is correct?

i went to hybrid with Druid (Sentinel) and on my character sheet it states i only have it once per encounter?

the compendium has this which seems to conflict, the hybrid part says one per encounter, but the bottom text says it is special and able to use it more when you get to the right level per encounter?

HEALING WORD (HYBRID)
    You gain the power healing word. The power functions as normal, except that you can use it only once per encounter.

Cleric Utility Healing Word

You utter a soothing word that mends wounds of the body and spirit.

Encounter (Special) Healing
    Minor Action Close burst 5 (10 at 11th level, 15 at 21st level)
    Target: You or one ally in the burst

Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain 1d6 additional hit points.
    Level 6: 2d6 additional hit points.
    Level 11: 3d6 additional hit points.
    Level 16: 4d6 additional hit points.
    Level 21: 5d6 additional hit points.
    Level 26: 6d6 additional hit points.

Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 16th level, you can use this power three times per encounter.

it just seems odd when i can use my "inspiring word" heal for my hybrid warlord 3 times and it shows on the builder sheet?

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Troll in the Playground

A 554

When you are a hybrid leader, you only ever get one use of that encounter power. The text at the bottom doesn't matter, because you only have one use of it. Doesn't matter what Leader you pick, you only get one "- Word" per encounter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    A 554

When you are a hybrid leader, you only ever get one use of that encounter power. The text at the bottom doesn't matter, because you only have one use of it. Doesn't matter what Leader you pick, you only get one "- Word" per encounter.
    i wanted to double check because on the character builder for the hybrid warlord it says i can use it up to three times at level 16 and the text on the hybrid for bard/sentinel says the exact same phrase but it doesn't show on the character sheet as the hybrid warlord does

it looks like they need to fix that problem in the online builder, i just wanted to see what was incorrect, something wasn't right. thank you :)
    Last edited by Tussin; 2015-11-30 at 01:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ettin in the Playground

The power text says "you can use it 3 times", which overrides the general rule of encounter powers.

The way you gain that power says "no, you can only use it one time", which overrides the power text.

Strangely, the power text doesn't lose its "more general case" text, it is just overridden.

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Titan in the Playground

A 553

No RAW answer for this. I would only think it likely if the Unseelie fey are hidden masters of organized crime in your gameworld. And now I want to see that in a game, because it sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussin View Post
    Q 553

i'm also curious how Secret Language correlates from this background? if i select it as my option

Occupation - Thug

Type: Occupation
    Campaign Setting: General
    You were a thug, such as an enforcer, a tough, or a bodyguard. Did you work for anyone? If so, who? What sorts of missions did you undertake? Were you feared in your community? Or did you stand up for those who were too weak to protect themselves? Why did you leave? Did you leave behind any enemies?
    Associated Skills: Athletics, Intimidate
    Associated Languages: Secret Language

is this Secret Language different from this Unseelie Agent character theme?

Unseelie Agent Level 5 Feature (5th level): You can speak, read, and write the secret language of the Unseelie fey. This language can be used to communicate securely with others of your ilk.

are these two different?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 555

I was looking at the Godkiller Epic Destiny, it's utility allows a player to make an enemy have vulnerability to damage you cause to it. Does ongoing damage you deliver to that enemy count towards the vulnerability?

Also, does the damage made by the Paragon path's Stormwarden (Ranger, PH 1) Blade Storm (lvl 11) and Twin Blade Storm (lvl 16) also count to trigger the vulnerability damage?

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Bugbear in the Playground

A555

You mean Godhunter? Ongoing damage applied by attacks would apply, ongoing damage from other sources would not.

And therefore no, Stormwarden's auto damage would not apply.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 556

I have a player who wants to multi-class his Monk with an Avenger. The avenger power allows the player to throw 2 dice on an attack role with weapon attacks. The monk can use weapons, but his power attacks don't have the weapon keyword. Can I consider it as a weapon attack for my player?

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Titan in the Playground

A 556 Oath of Enmity works on melee attacks, not weapon attacks per se. So yes, that works with the monk's melee attacks as well. Note that close attacks are not melee attacks, though.

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q557

How do reach weapons work with the Avenger Overwhelming strike power ? It allows the character to shift one square then slide the target 1 square into the square the character leaves. If you use the reach quality, the target cannot get into the place the character leaves. Does it means the target is not slid or does the target may be slid 1 square in direction of the square leaved?
    Last edited by Pilo; 2015-12-09 at 08:32 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Titan in the Playground

A557: If sliding one square is not enough to slide the victim into the square you occupied, then you can't slide it. You don't slide it in the general direction and hope for the best, either. However, if you have a slide-boosting item it can become "slide the victim two squares into the square you occupied.

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Barbarian in the Playground

A557:Just to point out, Oath of Enmity only works when you're attacking from an adjacent square, so it ought to be a mostly corner-case situation.
    Last edited by MwaO; 2015-12-09 at 07:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Pixie in the Playground

Q558

A Knight (Heroes of the Fallen Lands) is a subclass of Fighter, so can a Knight choose Knight Protector (Martial Power) as their Paragon Path (req: Fighter)? If so (real question time): Devoted Protector (KP Class Feature) requires a marked opponent (via Combat Challenge) to function, but knights replace marking with an aura (Defender Aura) that functions the same without explicitly marking anyone (They also, explicitly, don't ever stack), so does Devoted Protector then trigger off any enemy under the effects of the Defender Aura?

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Titan in the Playground

A558 Yes, he can take Fighter PPs since he' s a fighter. No, he does not get to substitute class features, and "defender aura" is not a "mark". So if his PP requires a marked target, well, he's out of luck. Perhaps he can take some utility powers that mark people.

30. - Top - End - #1500
    Pixie in the Playground

Q559

(Thanks for previous answer to 558; even if it's not what I wanted to hear, lol)

The Knight's "Hammer Hands" stance ability states "Until the stance ends, whenever you hit an enemy with a melee basic attack using a weapon (spear for questions sake) you can use a free action to push that enemy 1 square and then shift the same distance to a square adjacent to the enemy"

With a feat like "Spear Push" that states "Add 1 square to distance pushed with spear or polearm"

My question is how many squares can you shift using the "Hammer Hands" ability. Since you are now pushing 2 squares, does the "shift the same distance" get modified by the spear push feat? Or can you push 2 but only shift 1? Or, alternative to that, since shifting 1 no longer leaves you adjacent to the enemy you just pushed, are you left with the choice between pushing 1 & shifting 1 OR pushing 2 & shifting 0?