New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

A420
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman View Post
    a) does ongoing damage hurt the PC at the start or end of there turn?
    Start

b) do they make saving throws for effects at the start or end of there turn?
    The general rule is end, although there are exceptions (warden, for example, does both start before ongoing damage happens, and again at turn end).

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Q421
    Hi another question

What sort of action is a knowledge based check during a encounter

such as rolling on arcane to see what type of magic creature you are fighting

i guess its a minor? and if you fail how many rerolls can you attept in that encounter.

Thank you

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 421
    According to PHB pg. 180, "No action required—either you know the answer or you don’t."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

A 421 cont.

Which means no re-roll is available. You can't "start to know" something you don't know (just remember school ). DM can allow a re-roll if conditions changed, such as the creature turning visible, starting turn metal into rust or something similar. Though, to be honest, it's actually a new roll, but meh.

Hope it helped, cheers.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Q422

Today a PC of mine just got hit by a prepared action, in the middle of his turn, which dazed him. He already spent his minor action and provoked the prepared action in the middle of a move.

I resolved this by letting him finish his move before ending his turn but I was wondering, how should I have handled this?

6. - Top - End - #186

A422

RAW doesn't totally cover this, but we can infer some things.

Some results are obvious. If you are killed by an OA, or Immobilized or Stunned in the middle of your move, obviously you stop moving.

The rule for Slowed is:
    If you’re slowed while moving, stop moving if you have already moved 2 or more squares.
    This suggests that conditions are applied as if they'd been in effect since the beginning of the turn. In other words, after you're hit with a status effect, check whether the current action would have been legal if this status had been in effect since the start, and if it's not legal, it gets stopped. The only question is whether "the start" is the start of the whole turn or the start of the current action.

This has been discussed before:
    http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questio...t-the-movement
    http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questio...rtunity-attack

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

A422: Generously, the restriction would occur at the moment the effect landed. So if dazed, you get one action after the daze, then your turn ends. If this provoked in the middle of the move, you'd have the choice to finish your move and then your turn, or end your move immediately and do 1 more action. If slowed, your speed is reduced to 2 after the slow, and you may be out of movement points. If stunned, you don't get to do any actions after being stunned. If immobilized, you don't get to move (without teleporting) after being immobilized.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Colossus in the Playground

Q423: Would the Mage's 'Magic Missle' spell activate feats like White Lotus Enervation?

9. - Top - End - #189

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Q423: Would the Mage's 'Magic Missle' spell activate feats like White Lotus Enervation?
    A 423: No. Magic Missile by RAW doesn't meet the requirements of a power that "hits" (as per the PHB g 276); it is an automatic effect as long as you can target the enemy with the power. Regardless, Magic Missile does not target any defenses, so White Lotus Enervation wouldn't have any effect. Is there a particular reason you're asking?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Colossus in the Playground

Yha, I was wondering if I'd be able to use Magic Missle to just...blow up enemy defenses by 1 point automatically with Wizard's Fury. Minor action -1 to defenses seems cool. But ok, I understand.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Q424
    Hi I know if a PC leaves combat without shifting provokes attack but does a PC not in combat running past a enemy provoke opportune attack?

ta

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Q424
    Hi I know if a PC leaves combat without shifting provokes attack but does a PC not in combat running past a enemy provoke opportune attack?

ta
    A 424

If a PC is running past an armed enemy then they are already in combat.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

So an enemy can hit you if you run stright past them?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Barbarian in the Playground

correct.

If creature-A leaves creature-B's threatened squares without shifting, creature-B can make an opportunity attack vs creature-A.

You normally threaten the squares adjacent to you, but you don't if you are dazed/stunned/surprised.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerish View Post
    correct.

If creature-A leaves creature-B's threatened squares without shifting, creature-B can make an opportunity attack vs creature-A.

You normally threaten the squares adjacent to you, but you don't if you are dazed/stunned/surprised.
    Note that if you consider the enemy "surprised", then they do not get an opportunity attack. So if the enemy had no idea they were there until they were running past, there would be no OA. This can be found in the Surprise Round rules.

And this is why I didn't answer in the first place: the answer is really complicated.

The players are running past an armed enemy. Well, more than a few factors go into this.

1) Would the enemy attack anyway? (If not, the no OA)
    2) Was the enemy aware of their presence beforehand? (If not, then no OA.)
    3) Even if he was aware of them, did he suspect that they intended on getting past him or attack him? (If not, then no OA.)
    4) Was his weapon drawn? (If not, then no OA.)
    5) Otherwise, he probably gets an OA.
    Last edited by tcrudisi; 2012-07-30 at 07:32 AM.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, I have a question for you all. I'm playing a Warlock and I have the at will power "eldritch blast" in 4ed (I normally play 3.5). I was wondering if "Threatening Reach" applied to eldtritch blast, or if there was a way at low levels to make OAs at a distance with Eldritch Blast? (Level 7 specifically)

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xtomjames View Post
    Okay, I have a question for you all. I'm playing a Warlock and I have the at will power "eldritch blast" in 4ed (I normally play 3.5). I was wondering if "Threatening Reach" applied to eldtritch blast, or if there was a way at low levels to make OAs at a distance with Eldritch Blast? (Level 7 specifically)
    No, threatening reach only applies when you have it as a property. PCs don't have it unless one of their powers explicitly mentions it (usually stances, feats and polymorphs, IIRC). Eldritch Blast is a ranged power to which the concept does not apply (threatening reach applies only to OA MBAs).

Your second question is not really a RAW question, but from what I remember, the warlock has no such power at low levels. You may want to check the druid's Fire Hawk At Will for an example of a power that does, and then check for similar ones in the Warlock repertoire.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-07-31 at 07:59 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Ugh, I don't like 4th ed, why I joined I don't know. The changes to the rules for attacks of opportunity are just annoying. Same goes for the changes to undead. That said, would anything else work, are there no feats for rogues or other stealth classes that have ranged OA? (I should clarify I'm playing a rogue warlock hybrid). I was hoping to combine combat reflexes with long and short range OA.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xtomjames View Post
    Ugh, I don't like 4th ed, why I joined I don't know. The changes to the rules for attacks of opportunity are just annoying. Same goes for the changes to undead. That said, would anything else work, are there no feats for rogues or other stealth classes that have ranged OA? (I should clarify I'm playing a rogue warlock hybrid). I was hoping to combine combat reflexes with long and short range OA.
    You should open a thread for this question: it is not a RAW question and cannot really be adequately explored in this thread.

GW

20. - Top - End - #200

Q426 (I think?)

Does the Swordmage Aegis reaction apply to all targets I mark, or only the ones I mark with the Aegis power?

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by shamgar001 View Post
    Q426 (I think?)

Does the Swordmage Aegis reaction apply to all targets I mark, or only the ones I mark with the Aegis power?
    A426 just the Aegis power, though there are other powers that can mark an enemy as if by your Aegis power
    Last edited by Drglenn; 2012-08-02 at 05:46 AM.
    Amazing ponytar by Dirtytabs
    Larger Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202

Q427
    Do you have to be actually wielding a weapon to use its power? I would assume that there's a rule somewhere that states that, but I can't seem to find it.

23. - Top - End - #203

ClericGuy

A427: As far as I can tell, by a strict RAW reading... no. At least, not if the "power" in question is activated (rather than a "property") Per the Rules Compendium (p 280):

Many magic items have a special property that is constantly active, or active in certain circumstances... Unless otherwise noted, a magic item's property remains active for a creature only while it wears the item or wields the item.
    There is no such requirement to "wield" a weapon listed for an AEDU power for a weapon in either the PHB or the Rules Compendium that I can see.

That said, many weapons that have an AEDU power specify that the power is used through "this" weapon. For example, with a Duelist's Weapon:

"Power: Daily, minor action: You have combat advantage against the next creature you attack with this weapon on this turn."

That said, as a DM, if you tried to "activate" an AEDU power on a weapon you had in your backpack or on your belt or something, I would probably laugh at you until you got the hint that that's seriously trying to game the system.

24. - Top - End - #204

Q428

I'm seeking clarification/opinion on "Evard's Dreadful Mist" - lvl 15 Wizard Daily Attack Power.

It starts with an area burst 2 attack that deals no damage and sets up a zone. Simple enough, but the 'effect' that sets up the zone says:

"Effect: The burst creates a zone of thick fog that blocks line of sight until the end of your next turn. You can use the Evard's Dreadful Mist Attack power, using a square within the zone as the origin square."

The zone can be sustained with a minor action.

"Evard's Dreadful Mist Attack power" is, itself a Daily power (black border, marked 'daily') that is triggered when a creature enters/starts it's turn in the zone. It's a burst 1 and deals decent damage.

so... how many times can "Evard's Dreadful Mist Attack power" be triggered?
    A) once, as it's a daily attack power. Sustaining the primary power only sustains the zone
    B) once per turn, as it's a daily attack power, but when you sustain the primary power you gain another (1) use of the attack power
    C) as many times as it is triggered in the 1st round of use, sustaining the primary power only sustains the zone
    D) as many times as it is triggered, sustaining the power keeps up the ability to trigger the attack power

It's a lvl 15 daily, it should be strong. If it only did flat damage or low-dice/no-Int damage then I would accept version D, but it's a full damage AoE each time...
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

25. - Top - End - #205

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerish View Post
    Q428

I'm seeking clarification/opinion on "Evard's Dreadful Mist" - lvl 15 Wizard Daily Attack Power.
    A428: the "secondary" power of Evard's Dreadful Mist Attack is a daily ability, and therefore can be used only once. Note that it is an opportunity action; it would be absurdly powerful if it were an "at-will" ability while Evard's Dreadful Mist was active (you would be able to activate it multiple times per turn!).

26. - Top - End - #206

Q429

In DMG pg. 40:

When a power has an effect that occurs upon hitting a
    target—or reducing a target to 0 hit points—the power
    functions only when the target in question is a meaningful
    threat.
    Is "meaningful threat" ever defined in RAW? Is a PC targeting himself a meaningful threat to himself?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

A429
    Generally speaking, no.

A "meaningful threat" is kind of vaguely defined, so it requires DM judgment. But generally, a PC himself and his allies are not viable threats. Nor are innocuous townspeople, prisoners, or bags of rats.

-O
    Last edited by obryn; 2012-08-07 at 12:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry if the answer to this is available on wizards.com ... I'm not a member, so I can't see details of the posts, just what Google headlines show me.

Q 430

The paragon path Psionic Incarnate, on Psi Power page 126, has as its capstone Daily power the ability to revv up an augmentable at-will power. But there's no requirement that you KNOW an augmentable at-will power to take the paragon path, and it doesn't give such a power to you. So what do you do about a character who doesn't know one?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

A 430

Technically, it doesn't specify that you have to use an augmentable at-will power that you know, so you just pick one (probably one of the L27 ones for maximum strength) and use it.

If your DM (rightfully) doesn't let that fly, you'd simply be unable to use that power.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Sorry if the answer to this is available on wizards.com ... I'm not a member, so I can't see details of the posts, just what Google headlines show me.
    You should be able to read all of the WOTC forums without logging in, just like you can do here. For instance, this link.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2012-08-09 at 06:47 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!