New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Return of the Scarlet Empress IC

"Perhaps we should meet down on the street, then."

With that, Child enters the house, shucking the destiny to return to hims own nature. No sense getting involved with two new Exalts up on the roof, not with an ally down below, in addition to where ever Skandi was.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Orchid reaches out to touch the Fire Aspect's hand, briefly. Her eyes are sympathetic. "Something to look into, certainly. I've never been to Lookshy, but it... sounds like a good place. With good people, if you're an indication." She gives a slight one-shouldered shrug. "I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help, but I'd be glad to lend my skills to figuring out what precipitated it. If that's agreeable to you."

She nods at his last words and pushes herself to her feet, turning to the guardsman - in time to see him retreat into the house with the suggestion of meeting below. Hmm. She glances to Zhou. "We follow him, I suppose." She drops her voice again as she moves toward the stairway down. "I don't suppose the word Sidereal means anything to you? Beyond the obvious link to the stars?"
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Firbolg in the Playground

Zhou frowns as he follows. "Vaguely. The word turns up occasionally in rumors from the Realm, and the odd bit of ancient literature or divine vision. Usually in connection to conspiracies and elaborate secrets. I don't think anybody takes it too seriously."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"The Realm?" Orchid hesitates for a moment, before continuing very quietly, "Lunars take it seriously, apparently. And not in a friendly way. Did Symphony say anything to you, in private? He was using a Charm to talk to me silently. And his mention of the red light as being an anima was intended to implicate 'Sidereals'. Sun, Moon and Stars, perhaps..." She pauses for a moment, thinking, adding Zhou's information to the puzzle. "Conspiracies and secrets - all right. Thank you, Zhou."

She continues down toward the street, keeping pace with the Fire Aspect, looking for the rather-evasive guardsman.

Part of her wonders why she's sharing information so freely with the Lookshyan - and revealing her own ignorance, in the process. Appearing enigmatic, rather than confused, has been her stock in trade. But -
    He hasn't lied. That in itself is so very rare, among her social circles.
    He believes that Anathema should be judged on their individual merits. And so perhaps he wouldn't attack her, even if he knew the truth. She's almost certain he wouldn't call the Cleansing on her.
    He'd make a worthy ally. He handled himself equally well in the dueling circle and at the embassy earlier, and he reached the same conclusion that she did regarding Symphony, with less information.
    And you miss your sister, still. Miss having a friend you can trust - not simply a friendly acquaintance, who you trust to act in their own rational self-interest.

Be safe, Firi. Wherever you hunt.

But she turns her mind away from those thoughts, the momentary sadness in her eyes shifting back to determination. For now, there's a tangle to unravel, and they might just have found a loose end.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-10-27 at 02:13 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #755
    Bugbear in the Playground

Skandi the Raiton quietly follows the two newcomers. "Chimes might actually be serious. Even if he's willing to sell slaves to the Raksha, working for Deathknights might actually be a moral limit for him...
    R.I.P. Skandi the Wolf of Return of the Scarlet Empress

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

Friendplug: Arpista Editing!

6. - Top - End - #756
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aya toys with a rock near by. Her slender foot moves the rock around and her hands are folded behind her. The day's air felt okay and after a while she bent down to pick the rock up. Moving from finger to finger as she crouched there, her green eyes followed the rock carefully. With a sigh she leaned back on her heels and looked up at the sky, the rock slipping from her hands back to the ground.

"Darn this dark mood. He said he'd give me chance. And since I have no intention of doing anything wrong then I have nothing to worry about. So there. Let's smile, giggle a tad, and look at the bright side of things!" Instilled with a little self-confidence the young Infernal stands up with a smile her eyes going to the door of this Emerald person's place.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Reaching the street, Orchid frowns a little as a flash of motion catches her eye. A young woman, just now standing up - she'd been so still before that Orchid hadn't noticed her. Curse it, the presence of a bystander is going to make a frank conversation with the guard more challenging.

... which is perhaps what he intended, come to think of it.

Although there's something a little odd here. The guards in Bastion are usually quite rigorous about keeping loiterers off the streets - their over-enthusiasm has caused a number of complaints in the past. And the woman doesn't seem to be heading anywhere, she's just waiting.

... and watching the door. Of the house the guard appeared to be protecting. Hmm.

She's certainly wearing enough jewelry, and fine enough clothing, to fit into this neighborhood - albeit more likely as an ornament than a home-owner, given her dress, her beauty, and her age - but Orchid doesn't remember seeing her at any parties or gatherings. And she doesn't think she could possibly have forgotten someone who looked like that.

The little 'Wood Aspect' walks over to the other woman, stopping a few feet away, and gives her a warm smile. "Waiting for someone, my lady? If it's not inexcusably rude of me to ask?" She nods toward the house. Her voice is friendly, courteous, and a little curious, but not accusing or demanding; as if she's just making small talk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Firing Mastery of Small Manners to grab Aya's motivations in this scene, to enhance my social graces, and to make her more inclined to do me small favors that don't cost her anything, like chatting. I'm working off the description of her dress and appearance from her character sheet, i.e. tight-fitting silks that show off her figure, a lot of elaborate jewelry, and App 5.

Essence tracking:
    9/16 + 3 committed Judge's Ear Technique + whatever I regenerated while talking with Chimes (at 10m/hour regen rate)
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-10-27 at 07:48 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #758
    Dwarf in the Playground

There was only a moment of alarm in her shortly confused look, a moment that passed quickly. Smiling gently with a nod, Aya responded with her lilting friendly tone. "Uhm, yes, I am waiting here for a friend. I don't suppose you live around here?"

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Orchid laughs softly. "I wish. But no, I could never afford to rent up here, much less own one of these places. I live down in Cinnabar." She nods to Zhou. "We were asked to come take a look around, see if we could learn what happened here. This is your friend's house?" She notes the flicker of alarm in the stranger's eyes... but it might just be for Zhou's arms and armor. Or perhaps not.

She pauses for a moment. "Sorry! I should introduce myself. I'm Untimely Orchid." She holds out her hand to the other young woman, smiling.

Spoiler
    Show
    Illyceria, please note if Aya's statements are lies, half-truths, or full truths, unless she is using abilities that counter Judge's Ear Technique. I gather that first bit was truth, though.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-10-27 at 10:34 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Listening for a moment before opening the door, Child gives a slight smile. Seems things are going well so far.

Child exits, and while there are certainly similarities between him and the Guard, there are clear differences as well, slight differences in armor styling, less weathered face, and more grey in his hair.

"Hello, again. Names Child of Steel and Ruby. Sorry about the confusion, but it's something of a safety measure. Now, why were you with Chimes?"
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Orchid's gaze flicks around to Child, and she blinks in momentary confusion. "... again?" For a moment her face wavers between expressions, before settling again into composure, skewed by a wry smile. "... I admire your quick-change abilities, sir. Pleased to meet you, Child of Steel and Ruby. Again." She nods to Aya. "And your friend, as well, I presume?"

She looks back at Child, and answers straightforwardly, "When we volunteered to investigate the scene, Chimes asked to come along. Nominally to represent the Guild, actually to gather material for blackmail against Skandi the Wolf. Refusing his request didn't seem like it would dissuade him from his goals, and I'd rather have Chimes where I can see him, frankly."

She nods toward the roof. "But now that he's gone - would you be able to tell us more of what happened?" Her question's addressed equally to Child and Aya, and there's open curiosity in her eyes as she regards the pair.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-10-28 at 04:29 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #762

Zhou introduces himself politely with a small bow to the strange woman, but otherwise says nothing much, content to merely watch while waiting for the guard to reappear. When Child emerges instead, the look of surprise on his face is almost comical, for the brief moment that it lasts.

"That's quite a bit more than a quick change routine. And to consider it a safety measure while around Chimes..." his eyes focus on Child's own, taking their red hue into account alongside the name. "Hmm. I take it yours was the red anima, then. So... a Sidereal, whatever that is."

He glances back at the woman. "And since Child seems willing to discuss things like this around you, my lady, perhaps you'd honour me with a similar introduction?"
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Huh. She'd been planning to leave the S-word for a little later in the conversation, but introducing it so casually has its merits. And Zhou does have a good point, there.

A safety measure around Chimes, that can be dropped when dealing with two Dragon-Bloods - and when in the company of his 'friend', who is very clearly more than she seems. Add that to a warning against the stars, from a Lunar to a Solar - and rumors out of the Realm, pertaining to conspiracies and secrets. That's... interesting.

Orchid keeps smiling, her expression friendly and open, as she waits for a response to hers or Zhou's questions. Keeps watching. Keeps listening.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #764
    Troll in the Playground

Burning Waters

His grin grows wider...and then vanishes, slowly, as if it took conscious effort for him to do so.

"Well, Isa," he drawls, handing a final bag of grain to the guard on duty. "I've unfortunately got rounds all day today, and I don't doubt you've got better things to do than talk with someone as...young as I am. But I don't suppose we could meet say...tonight? For a drink?"
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure," Isa answers, her own smile shrinking a little as he stops. She just looks at him that way for a few moments, head tilted a few degrees to the side as she wonders what's going through his head.

"Meet me at sundown here?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Child nods as the Wood Aspect speaks.
    "Knowing where Chimes is would be a laudable goal, though I would be careful, if I were you. He's a powerful moonchild, with goals all his own."

Straightening, he crosses his arms as he look at Zhou.
    "As for that face, no, it was not at all for Chimes benefit, but yours. Skandi, for better or worse, involved him with this already, and thus Chimes knows who I am, the repercussions of which I will have to deal with some other time. No, that face was because I wasn't sure who was on that roof, and then because I didn't trust you."

"And, well, I still don't. You're poking around in very dangerous matters, and while you say your company is accidental I can't know if that's true. Worse yet, though, I don't have the luxury to simply let you follow your own devices. So I'll tell you what happened on the Roof last night, and why we were there. Several Deathknights were hunting someone in our party, and they found us here. We fought, with Skandi and Chimes arriving midway through. The Abyssals were driven off.

And, yes, the Red light was me. I am a Sidereal, chosen of the Maiden Mars. I would not spread that around too much for you. Those who try find it difficult, and those who get more than a moderate amount of success tend to find it bad for their health.
    "
    His voice hardens somewhat for this last part. Not quite a threat, and more of a statement of fact, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You should be able to pick up that he's not telling you why they were here, or how he knows the master of the house.
    Satomi by Elagune

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Oh, that was very evident," Orchid mutters, when Child mentions that Chimes has goals of his own. She's not quite sure if she just went through a job interview - and if so, how she performed - or whether she needs to keep a watchful eye out for assassins. "Thank you for confirming the Lunar hypothesis, though."

And Chosen of Mars, all right, that confirms another hypothesis. Maiden of Battles. Great. But if his anima's a red light, he'll probably be as eager to avoid armed conflict in the streets as she is.

(And a part of her mind is running in gibbering circles and tracing out branching possibility-trees at the knowledge of a new kind of Anath- Exalted, people who Three fears, the Chosen of the Maidens of Fate... but he doesn't have any reason to satisfy her curiosity on that front, yet. And if he'd share the information for free, well, Zhou's very likely to ask.)

"As for trusting us - well, if you have Charms to read the truth, go ahead and use them. I don't think either of us will take offense." She'll have to be careful, but if he does have such Charms, better to know. And if he doesn't, and says so, she can read the truth of it and gauge better how careful she needs to be with her words.

She listens quietly to the rest of the Sidereal's words. When he finishes, she smiles slightly. "I do know how to be discreet, Child of Steel and Ruby. It's a skill you learn, in Nexus. But thank you for the warning; I'll take it in the spirit it was given. And I'm grateful that you're being forthcoming: it makes things much simpler. I'll try to reciprocate..."

"So. The deathknights were hunting a member of your party - do you know why? And are they safe?" There's a note of what seems to be genuine concern in her voice, and she glances momentarily at Aya.

The 'Wood Aspect' continues, after that brief pause, "Are you working with Skandi, or was last night simply an alliance of convenience against the Abyssals? And... where does this house fit in? Were you just coming back here to clean up the evidence, or was there a reason your group was here when the Abyssals caught up with you?" She pauses again. "'Dangerous matters', you said?"
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-11-03 at 01:48 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #768

Zhou listens politely to the Sidereal's explanation. "It would hardly be my first time getting involved in dangerous matters... indeed, doing so is to a certain extent my job." he says evenly. "If I abandoned an investigation simply because of the potential danger, all I'd be doing is allowing someone else to take the risk in my place."

His whole manner is exceptionally calm now, and his voice soft and level. "And you say you don't have the luxury of simply allowing us to follow our own devices. I'm sure you realise there are... quite a few ways that could be interpreted."

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ah. Yes. Fire Aspect. And the stillness of smoldering coals can erupt into wildfire with very little warning, given the right conditions...

"I will only add to that - if not for the obvious nature of your battle last night, we would likely not be involved. But whatever your dangerous matters are, they've already touched this city, and people less able to defend themselves than the two of us." She nods at the shattered houses, the ruins of the garden.

Orchid's voice too is calm. Relaxed, not weighted with any great import. But beneath the gentleness there is determination. "For my own part, I've generally found knowledge to be less dangerous than ignorance."

She stops, watching the two strangers and her Fire Aspect... friend? Ally-for-the-moment, anyway. Waiting to hear Child's reply, to her questions and Zhou's implied one.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #770
    Troll in the Playground

"Sure," Isa answers, her own smile shrinking a little as he stops. She just looks at him that way for a few moments, head tilted a few degrees to the side as she wonders what's going through his head.

"Meet me at sundown here?"
    Burning Waters

"I would be honored."

He breaks out that smile that seems too natural to belong to such a young individual, and grasps both handles on his hand-cart.

"Sorry, ma'am," he says. "But deliveries won't make themselves."
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

Child hops off the stoop, walking in a bit of a circle around the two strangers, careful to go slow and to be non-threatening.
    "So many, many questions. Yes, I know why they were hunting a member of our party, and the one in question is safe. And Skandi is, for better or worse, a member of this party, seemingly for the long haul. We were conducting business at this house, and the abyssals came upon us as we were leaving. The only serious casualties were among the Hunters. In fact, as far as I know, no one was directly harmed besides the hunters. And while the city has undoubtedly been effected, it's hardly more than, say, the killing of the Mercenary Dace.

And, you're right, there are many ways to interpret what I said. That's the point!

And knowledge is only less dangerous if it is of no import: the knowledge of something also contains the knowledge to destroy that thing, after all. And the more people that know something, the even more that will know it.

Frankly, I don't trust, you, not fully, and not yet. There might be something you can do for me, though, to get this trust. I'd like to deliver a message, one I can't deliver for a variety of reasons, but one that two Dragonblooded should have no issues doing.
    "
    He's smiling at this last part. Using a potential problem to solve another problem, and possibly getting more allies out of it. It's a good day.
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #772

"At what point did I suggest that I had any particular interest in gaining your trust?" Zhou asks, a small flicker of what seems to be amusement in his eyes.

"If Deathknights are involved, the two of us have our own reasons to consider assisting those who might oppose them. People like you, it seems. Likewise, if you are attempting to accomplish something that the Deathknights wish to thwart, that in itself is reasonably compelling reason to aid you."

"However, you appear to be under the unfortunate impression that we are little more than useful puppets falling over ourselves in our attempts to ingratiate ourselves with you. That we would drop everything and consent to be a pair of messengers in exchange for nothing more than the vague promise of trust." the amusement is gone from his eyes and voice now. "I'm going to assume that you do not, in fact, wish to insult us in quite that manner. So why don't you explain exactly why we should help you out here, as opposed to... taking offense."

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

"The point where you started asking about dangerous matters, as well as what personal details. One could do quite a bit of damage, especially if they worked for various parties before this 'chance meeting'. Thus, if you don't want my trust, you don't want my information, nor can I afford to have you with weapons at my back. I won't move against you, not as long as you refrain from moving against me. However, I won't include you in any plans, and I will take steps to keep you far away from these matters, until I can begin to make certain on my own that you aren't a threat."
    Satomi by Elagune

24. - Top - End - #774

The Fire Aspect considers this. "Hmm. Sensible enough, I suppose." he says after a moment.

"Very well. In the interests of cooperation... who does this message need to get to? And why do I have a sinking feeling regarding why only Dragon-Blooded can easily deliver it?"

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

"The Cleansing Headquarters. There's a Patrician there, Ragara Soras Maren. The Message is pretty simply, just that an old family friend from back home wants to meet with her at this address as soon as possible. As I said, it should be pretty easy, especially for a Dragonblooded."

He gives a genuine, smile at this, holding his hands out in front of him, as if showing he has nothing to hide.
    Satomi by Elagune

26. - Top - End - #776

Zhou blinks, then raises one hand to pinch the bridge of his nose, as though staving off a headache. "The cleansing headquarters. Which will no doubt be swarming with Immaculates, and thus guaranteed to give me a headache as I try to avoid being driven insane by their fanatical prattling. Wonderful."

He sighs. "Fine. Hopefully won't take long, and ideally Orchid can stop me from saying anything to them that I'll greatly regret." he says, directing a faint smile at his companion, before turning and starting to head off.

Immaculates. Why did it have to be them...

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Orchid, listening quietly to all this, smiles faintly at Zhou in return, but there are small creases of worry around her eyes. "I'll come along, Zhou, for now at least. Child..." She eyes the Sidereal, and then sighs. "I suppose it's a simple enough request. And while we could just deal with Chimes for information, I'd prefer not to be tripping over each other, should our paths in this investigation continue to intersect."

Not many people from Nexus would show up to a meeting requested by a nameless "friend" with no further identification. So... hmm. Is the address significant, a shared safe-house? And Child can't deal with the Cleansing for a variety of reasons - well, more data points.

"For what it's worth, Child, I'm glad your friend is safe. And accept my congratulations, and pass them on to Skandi, for driving off the deathknights. A mutual acquaintance told me that the Wolf tends to bring chaos with him, but that seems to be something of a slander, at least this time around." She nods slightly to Child and Aya, and turns to join Zhou.

Once they get down the street a little, she says quietly to the Fire Aspect, "Well, worst case scenario we can just call her with the Wind-Carried Words Technique, seeing as we have her name and approximate location."
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #778

"That is hardly what I'd call the worst case scenario." Zhou mutters back, smiling. "Not sure if it would work, though. The name is probably a cover, or it's use might even be a code. Too many damn variables."

He sighs. "And Immaculates as well. You might have to do any talking, seeing as you at least grew up in the faith. I'll probably just say something ridiculously offensive if I try holding a conversation, and it won't even be deliberate."

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

"And a good thing too, or you'd be out of a job," Isa tosses back playfully, and having gotten the last word in turns to go. She walks away just a little slower than she otherwise would, glancing briefly back over her shoulder once; a girl who thinks a boy she likes might be watching her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Isa is going to use her hearthstone to skim through Burning Waters' thoughts as she walks away.

Perception + Awareness: (10d10)[3][7][8][6][4][8][7][2][5][2](52)
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

Burning Waters

For some reason, it's difficult to get a bead on the young man's thoughts.

Spoiler
    Show

(8d10)[9][6][8][8][4][4][7][5](51)
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-11-06 at 02:01 AM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2