New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Return of the Scarlet Empress IC

Ragara Besi

Searching through her things for a moment, Besi came up with a rope and lowered it down to her companion. It wasn't like she herself was going to be any use in putting out a fire...
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Maren

Maren ascends the rope with only a little difficulty. Good news: the people inside the fort aren't all dead. Bad news: the fort is on fire. She bites her lip, glancing sideways at Besi before dismissing her. Shame they don't have one of the Children of Danaa'd here instead...

Oh well. "Should we go in and help?" Maren asks hesitantly. Someone, she noticed, was calling for a bucket chain. Not the Lookshy commander. Odd. "We could open the gates if they need to evacuate, at least."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Child

Spares a moment to glance after his maybe-ally as she runs away. Well, at least she can hopefully get the other civilians out.

He won't be so lucky, though. This doesn't make sense; the Mask's been extremely non-confrontational, at least publicly. So why this? The Zombies were shocking, but without leadership they wouldn't have succeeded. The fact that someone was able to interrupt the other act was luck, but if the aim was really to make a massacre there would be more effective ways to do it. Maidens, if the Mask really wanted to strike at Lookshy, he could do so much more effectively, and with a larger return. All this would do it warn Lookshy without really weakening them. There's something else going on here.

So Child tries to approach the burning room, arm up to ward the smoke from his mouth. No sense in dying quite yet, but the fire didn't look quite that dangerous. Plus, something like this couldn't really be done on a moment's notice(well, okay, a Fire aspect could, but that doesn't seem likely, given thee zombies). So either this was planned and prepared, or there's a device causing it. Either way could tell him something.
    Spoiler
    Show

Int+Lore regarding the material: (5d10)[9][7][3][6][9](34)
    I'd like to know roughly how bad the fire is. Is it at an inferno level, or simply heading in that direction.

The Awareness roll is to see if I can figure out if there are any clues. I'd use Investigation(I even have a specialty), but I don't think I have the time. If I do, add the dice of the second roll.
    (5d10)[10][9][4][9][5](37)
    Possibly + (3d10)[6][3][3](12)

Stunt Dice(3d10)[8][7][4](19)
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

If you're in the building and near the officer's quarters, give me Stamina+Resistance rolls for smoke.

Smoke = 2B/1 minute, 2M, 2/5min, -1

Tavar: (8d10)[9][10][8][7][1][4][7][4](50)

Child

The fire's largely in the officer's room at this point; with that in mind, though, the smoke is obscuring any indication of how rapidly it would spread across the building.

As for how the Fire occurred...Child's eyes spot a scorched mark on the officer's desk, of the sort caused by burning firedust atop wood; the charred remnants of a leather pouch at the side of the desk confirm this. But Child's eyes don't notice the pouch nearly as much as far too recognizable mark, even as flames cackle and crackle and begin to consume it.

It's the Sign of Mars.

Fort Waypoint

Sierra's outcries reach the civilians and soldiers of the fort; they quickly drop their weapons and begin heading to grab buckets of sand and water from the walls.

Skandi's outcry reinforces their actions; running becomes sprinting, urgency becomes extremity. A bucket chain is formed, and they begin passing the buckets.

Skandi also realizes one thing: that jerkass who tried to usurp his story is still in there.

Penumbra

Her keen eyes fail to notice anyone moving away from the fire, aside from those who initially went in. However, she does notice a small, thin trail of brick-red dust in an odd pattern (a circle around the barracks with an arrow) leading from the barracks into one of the walls...

Aya

The building is on fire. The homes of multiple families and individuals.

Lie low and stay hidden. But at what cost?

Spoiler
    Show

To not help (to the best of Aya's ability) will you to fail a Compassion check.

To help (to the best of Aya's ability) will require to fail a Conviction check due to NPC Rose's order.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Child

Child feels as though he just ran head first into a wall. This....

"Oh. Balls."

Moving quickly, he tries to quell the flames on the pouch: might give more information, even if it's a bit of a long shot. Granted, he doesn't waste much time trying, mindful of the flames spreading throughout the room. After that's done, he leaves through the safest path: though the door if it's not blocked yet, or through whatever manner the one they were chasing used if it is.

Spoiler
    Show
    With that resistance roll, I should be fine, yes? If this takes more than one minute...
    (8d10)[1][4][1][2][5][7][9][2](31)
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Child

The pouch is little more than ashes held together by the memory of its former form at this point; touching it does little more than scatter them to the roar of smoke and flame.

The only way out Child can see is through the door; the "window" of the quarters is little more than an arrow slit. He sprints through the door and outside, some smoldering embers on his clothes and a whirlwind of his own making at his back.

Outside, men and women are continuing to form a bucket brigade. Thankfully, for now, the area outside the barracks is safe.
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-05-15 at 01:31 PM.
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Child

Looking for the commander of the fort, he focuses on the loud one. He took command easily enough, and seems to be part of the military. He'll do.

Walking over, Child gives his report in measured tones. The man may be a bit annoying, but now is not the time. "There was someone in the Barracks: killed 2 before I got there, though a girl held him off. Ran to Officer's quarters, and set the fire with some firedust. Didn't see how he left, probably some sort of Anathema trick."

He doesn't mention the sign, or what the man said. He's technically still just a civilian: giving his real thoughts on the matter would be out of character, and he doesn't really want to draw attention to himself. Especially if the Bureau is involved.
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Skandi's passing buckets along as he talks to Child in a voice not a shout pitched to a crowd, but certainly loud enough to be heard by those near him.

"Thank you for the report. You say a girl held him off; not Dragon- or God- blooded? Then it doesn't sound like he's Anathema; just a ghoul of some sort. Now, then. If you're local, could you go look for more buckets? We could use more."
    R.I.P. Skandi the Wolf of Return of the Scarlet Empress

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

Friendplug: Arpista Editing!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Penumbra

Lets see what this is first and try the building later. If the Abyssal is still inside, they'll be flushed out by the fire eventually, if not, this might be their trail. Penumbra reasons as she moves towards the trail of dust. Staying in the air, she uses her vantage to look over the wall, to see if the trail continued past it. If it didn't, she was prepared to examine the line of dust where it met with the wall, looking for more clues as to what this was.

Spoiler
    Show

Another awareness roll for this.
    (9d10)[10][4][6][5][1][2][9][3][5](45)
    10 Successes
    Last edited by Incendius; 2012-05-15 at 03:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Ragara Besi

Besi contemplated the situation a moment. "No water in your bloodline?" she asked as though she already knew the answer. And she did.

The sudden fire... intrigued her, though, perhaps the person they were there to meet was nearby. "Gates, yes. Do that. I trust you," she said to her cousin as she hopped down from the walls and headed toward the barracks, heedless of the cries of the Lookshyans around her.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Getting into the bucket line, he helps, but doesn't go searching for more buckets.

"Only saw that she was female: didn't see the fight so I can't say anything else. Well, she did have an odd weapon, not made of steel or anything like that. And, sorry, not local. Can help move the buckets, though."
    Last edited by Tavar; 2012-05-15 at 04:20 PM.
    Satomi by Elagune

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Sierra is torn-she wants to hide (as well as she can with her dress), but she has to help.

She tries to hide amongst those trying to help.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wits+Stealth, I guess? Or Larceny, but both are 0.
    (3d10)[6][10][8](24)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aya stands to the side, unhappy as she leans against a wall. She watches the bucket brigade and the fires. She winces as inefficient use of throwing water is employed, she shudders as some cough from the smoke, she covers her eyes and peeks through fingers as the building creaks and people continue on their way.

"No, no, a little more control, less fear.... Step away from that before it falls... gosh darn it at least cover your face with cloth!"

Infuriated she takes a step away from the wall but thinks about this a moment. She had no skill to actually help put out the fire... but she could tend to the wounded. And that alone would draw the eyes of Cleansing upon her. It was a well known fact that helping people when your potential enemy was nearby benefited those that need help but not you in the slightest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Compassion Roll to avoid helping (4d10)[2][6][5][10](23)
    Should that not fail then Conviction roll to avoid helping extraordinarily, (3d10)[9][2][7](18)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

As Skandi starts ordering people around to douse the fire, Rose sticks by him, carrying buckets herself. She feels the need to butt in. "That said, appearances can be deceiving. On the other hand... maybe this was an attempt to manipulate Lookshy in some way?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Child breathes a sigh of relief as someone else voices his concern. Getting too involved could be dangerous, especially if this is a bureau operation.

"It probably is. Everyone in the Scavenger Lands wants to manipulate them in some way."

Passing the buckets along though, Child notices something. "Wait. You ask if I was local. You aren't the commander of the base then? Where is he?"
    Satomi by Elagune

16. - Top - End - #76

Skandi smiles at Rose and Child, still speaking in a comfortable audible voice. "It's obviously some attempt to manipulate Lookshy. An independent ghoul necromancer disguised as a Thorns deathknight might be able to divide the Confederation of Rivers into a Thorns-Lookshy civil war."

The smile turns into a fanged grin at Child's question, his voice dropping to a private, confidential whisper that includes both Child and Rose. "I haven't the faintest notion where the commander is. I'm just a mercenary - I'm not in charge. People just agree with what I have to say."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spotting his tell is still the usual difficulty, of course.

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Fort Waypoint

Through the efforts of the bucket brigade, the fire is doused without further incident. The officer's quarters are beyond salvage, but it's better than the whole barracks being destroyed.

At Child's query, a woman moves towards their group, the formerly organized brigade now dissipating into a series of small cliques, as people discuss what just happened. Everyone gives her a wide berth.

"My husband is dead."

Her voice is tightly controlled, harshly so. She isn't particularly tall or muscular, and one of her legs is twisted, but her gaze is firm and her hands tighly grasp the staff that's kept her upright since the fall of Thorns.

Grass Lightning stares levelly at the group. Her eyes flicker over to Child, and her gaze becomes less stern.

"Child, it's good to see you again. It is unfortunate that you come on this day."

She continues to limp briskly towards them.

"I was one of the first ones to the barracks, but not the first. The necromancer was held off by some girl; he called her Exalt. Wore some sort of strange blue metal."

We should find and question her is strongly implied. And Grass Lightning's words carry far. Everyone living in Waypoint knows and respects her.

Penumbra

Examining the dust by the wall closer, she easily recognizes it. It's a trail of firedust, in the form of a circle (the barracks at the top of the circle), and a trail leading roughly northeast from the top towards the walls, where it stops...

Everybody

Another fire blazes briefly around them, a circle with a trail at another point. heading to the wall. It dies down quickly, though; stone and dirt don't burn like wood. More a mocking reminder than an attempt to cause harm.

Child, at least, recognizes it.

lower of Int or Wits + Occult, difficulty 2
    Spoiler
    Show

It's the Sign of Mars again. Who'd have thunk it?

And after the flames die down, another individual is present among them.
    Spoiler
    Show

That person is Ragara Besi.

Isa

Alone on the branches above, a scroll in a small wooden box appears floating before her. There is no pomp or effect; between one moment and the other it merely is. A message from the Bureau.

Contents:
    Spoiler
    Show

To: Isa

Over the past three days, there have been three attacks on the mortal acquaintances and families of Sidereal Exalts. In all cases, the caste signs of the agent targeted were left at the scene. These attacks were caused by beings outside of fate. You are hereby instructed to meet with Child of Steel and Ruby, Head of the Convention on The Hundred Kingdoms, witness to the most recent attack, and investigate. His current location is...

The scroll is signed not with a name but with a symbol indicating either the letter O or the number 0; the normally precise lettering of a Loom-sent message is always ambiguous with this signature.

The missive came from the Convention on Oversight.
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-05-17 at 05:22 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Meep.
    Sierra attempts to find somewhere quiet, rearranging her dress to hide the armor under it, and then will attempt to return to her room and change clothes.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Penumbra

Patience. Penumbra cautions herself as she rises back into the air, heading towards a perch on one of the guard towers, allowing her an unobstructed view of the town. She again pulls herself into shadow, making it nigh impossible to notice her presence. She would wait till her quarry was flushed out, and if he still managed to escape her sight, well, she would be able to lock right back onto his trail.

Spoiler
    Show

Another stealth check. +1 Success from her hearthstone. She's waiting to see if the guy tries to flee. If he has that Abyssal invisibility charm, she can see right through it.
    (13d10)[6][3][7][8][2][4][6][1][6][6][6][8][5](68)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

While still in the Bucket Brigade

"A nice theory, but whoever cast that spell was some kind of Exalt. That narrows the list quite considerably. But it also makes the motive all the more important."

After Grass Lightning

Some of the tension seems to drain out of Child when he see's Grass. He was worried: she might have been one of the bodies in the barracks, he didn't have time to check. Her words don't make this as effective as it might be, though. He quickly embraces her. He pitches his voice low: those close can still here, but this isn't something the whole fort needs to hear.

"I'm not sorry I came, just that I couldn't do more. I-"
    The fire stops him mid sentence, and he whirls, putting his body between Grass and any perceived danger, stiffening when he sees the sign. The mysterious new figure doesn't help matters, and with his voice obviously tense, he addresses her, eyes roving over the crowd as he does so to pick out the girl with the Adamant.

What does it say that a girl using an artifact made of the rarest magical material is probably the least important mystery at the moment?

"Who are you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception +Awareness:(5d10)[1][6][5][5][7](24)

Stunt:(3d10)[2][7][4](13)
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

After all is said and done, fire out, the injured being lightly tended to, Aya found her curiosity piqued by the sudden flaring fire and the symbol it had crafted. She moved quickly around, tracing the lines in her mind, her eyes twinkling with curiosity. Finally at the end she pounced the last section and looked to the sky, her tongue slightly sticking out. Quite interesting indeed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Int + Occult (6d10)[9][1][3][6][7][5](31)

22. - Top - End - #82

Skandi surveyed his options as rapidly as he could as the storm of events unfoldeded, Child hurrying off to see his friend. "The symbol of Mars? Why would someone be scribbling it in the dust? Either way, that's low priority. This mystery girl is probably another Exalt or spirit incognito; I shouldn't blow her cover."

Decision made with hardly a pause, he turned to look at the assembly of soldiers, cupping his hands to be heard clearly. "All right, the fire may be over but that doesn't mean we're resting yet! Come on, men. Form into fangs; we've got to find this necromancer. We can't just let him try again."

Skandi hurried off with the troops to search. No need to let this Jade-attired lady get a good look at his face...

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for Wits+Occult, or in his case Wits, to recognize the Sign of Mars. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3522830/

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Sierra

Sierra easily slips back into the crowd, moving from clique to clique, hopping her way back into the inn.

*Clang*

...Crap.

Child

"...are you?"

*Clang*

Someone had, unintentionally, he was sure, banged into him.

Especially, turning around, considering that it was the Adamant-clad woman who had done it.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aya glanced around her, should the symbol be the sign of the Chosen of Heaven, then that would bode even less good for her. She was hardly the paranoid type however and it appeared someone else had grabbed the attention of most people. A young woman all alone, much like she herself, had found herself slamming into Child. She debated who was the most poorest of the set, the one with a thousand eyes on her or the one who had become the obstacle. Ah well maybe neither and a simply misunderstanding was in progress?

Aya stepped away from the symbol's remains and approached crowd near the Inn. If nothing else, she could help the young lady if things looked bad for her, it never was good for a young woman to have no one to support her.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Judging by her actions, she was trying to sneak away. Not really a bad idea, given the situation. But she could be much more helpful working with Child: together with the Loud One it might just give some stability to the situation. And so many saw what she did, well, everyone needs heroes. Though, where did the Loud One get off to, anyways? He's actually part of Lookshy's force. Why would he leave when strangers appear in the fort?

Pushing the thoughts aside, Child reaches out to stead her with his arm, and speaks with the most calming voice he can. He's conscious of the fact that this leaves his back wide open, but the newcomer doesn't really seem hostile.

"Ah, there you are. I wanted to thank you for stopping whatever was going on in the Barracks, and to talk to you about anything you saw. "
    Satomi by Elagune

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Freeze.
    ...he doesn't seem to be trying to stab her.

Well, that's good.
    "Um. You're welcome." she says slowly.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

"Names aren't important. The black anima," Besi turned suddenly to Child and Sierra, "did you see who it belonged to?"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Did the idea of respect fall out of fashion recently? Child narrows his eyes as he addresses the demanding stranger.

"Names are very important, if one is a stranger standing in the middle of a fort that was just attacked. Identify yourself. Then perhaps information can be shared."
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah," Besi gives a small smile. The man recognizes her as not having been present for the altercation, despite the chaos and number of people. Interesting, although she is at least somewhat distinctive. "You're being thorough. Besi, then. Or Bess, whichever you prefer."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Offering his hand for a shake, Child's eyes wander over her, taking in the details. Looks like a Dragonblooded, especially with the Jade weaponry. One from Lookshy would be taking control of things, so that means a Lost Egg or the Realm. Normally, he'd rule the latter right out, but with the recent announcement, it could be either one.

"Besi, then. You can call me Child, and yes, I know it's an odd name for a grown man. So, what brings a non-Lookshy Dragonblooded to this area? From the Realm, or somewhere else? As for what happened, I believe I heard the one who did this, and this girl right here, " saying this, Child indicates Sierra, "Saw a bit more. Whoever he was, he ran into a room, and by the time we opened the door, he was gone and the room was on fire."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that since she's Breeding 5, it's pretty obvious that she's a DB.

Also, from the description, I'm assuming that her Banner isn't flaring.
    Satomi by Elagune