Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 85
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    OOC Thread

    A motley group of travelers stands on the deck of Lucy Lightfoot’s Maiden of the Plains, a massive land barge propelled by the fierce winds of the Aureate Expanse. They survey the city before them, Southwind, contemplating what it holds for them. This particular group, now of six, seems to have more disparate goals than it does members.

    Dask O’The Blacktree, a Druid of the New Assembly; Lorelai Larouge, newly appointed Seeker of the Alabaster Spire, Felix Amnethon, a simple guide and part-time bounty hunter from the city of Frontier’s End; and Aukan Lonehunter, a mighty Goliath barbarian from the Golkata Plateau. The group is followed by Father Ferris, a handsome young traveling priest of Elishar and by Tavus Dunwick, Lorelai’s nervous assistant and intern of the Alabaster Spire.


    22nd of Pyron, 217 A.E. (After Exodus)

    After traveling for ten days on foot (while tracking the Goliath Seer’s kidnappers) and another four with the Halfling caravan led by Lucy Lightfoot your party arrives at the first true city you’ve seen since Frontier’s End, where one month ago yesterday the Elves of Vola-Kesh began their siege of Talus’ northernmost city.

    The city of Southwind lies before you. It is about one mile wide extending from its center to form a rough circle. The architecture here stands in sharp contrast to the imposing towers of Talus’ volcanic region or even the more modest buildings of the Ashfall. Each building is a squat, tan colored dome. As the barge draws closer you can see chimneys and the occasional porthole in the ceiling. Even the tallest of the domes doesn’t appear to rise more than 20 feet above the ground. The slopes are so gradual that children run up and down them playing games of tag as their elders shout at them to cut it out. Interspersed throughout the city are a dozen or so windmills decorated with great banners that billow in the wind. The banners bear the image of a golden dome flanked by two black windmills, the symbol of the city.

    The people of Southwind have very dark skin, darker than you have ever seen on a human. They are tall and lean, the average adult male appearing to be roughly six feet tall. Most glisten with sweat but don’t appear to be affected by the heat in any other way. Among the children and adults of the city you can make out smaller figures, about two feet shorter on average than the local humans. Their skin is a light tan mixed with a dull gray. Most are very thin but have well defined muscles. During your trip Lucy had made passing references to the Whisper Gnomes of the three cities and their vicious reputation as violent gangsters.

    The place is alive with the playful shrieks of children, the braying of the goat-like brixashulty's in wooden pens, and the creaking gears of the city's windmills.

    “Welcome to Southwind” Lucy says to you “You’ve got friends on the plains now, it’s been an honor to travel with you. There are four or five Inns here in town but the Rusty Cutlass is probably the most welcoming to outsiders. Or at least it has the smallest Mob involvement. Probably not a bad place to ask some of your questions either.”
    Last edited by veven; 2012-04-30 at 01:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Blacktree's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Dask gives a quick sharp whistle and Tarruk comes trotting to him. "Stay close girl, not likely they've seen many wolves around here." He squints and surveys the city while loosening his cloak a bit in the oppressive sun. The rancid stench of the city was intensified by the heat; the puke of civilization was everywhere. Yet there was something hardy in these folk that Dask could respect, carving out their existence in a land very alien to his home.

    "May the winds be in your favor, Lucy." Dask gives the halfling as courteous a nod as the dour man can muster and turns to his companions.

    "I think all of our missions are urgent, shall we make for the Rusty Cutless straight way?"
    Last edited by Blacktree; 2012-04-29 at 11:04 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Orison's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Endor

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Lorelai, lifting her journal to shield her eyes from the fierce sun; she turns to Tavus and snaps:
    "Tavus! Take notes on the area and what you see! Sketch structures and describe the people. I'll want a full report tonight!"
    Lorelai's tone returns to her regular monotone softness.
    "Lucy, the journey has been an experience. I'm glad to have traveled with you. I'm sorry for your loss during the storm, but your people have taught me many new things through it all. You keep them in very good hands, and I can only hope our paths will cross again."
    She smiles awkwardly and reaches out for a brief handshake.
    Then, moving past Dask, she mutters,
    "I'm sure they aren't alien to the idea of a scruffy, wild, dog; however" hinting at Tarruk.
    Piping up so everyone can hear, she states: "The Rusty Cutlass it is!"
    She pulls her hood up, shading her face and hiding her horns, and buries her head in her journal.
    Last edited by Orison; 2012-04-30 at 07:37 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    "And you, Dask" she says warmly. "Oh, I nearly forgot. The caravan I told you about, the one with the Druids, I don't know what name they go by but their sails are green. Deep green sails with a baobab tree in the middle."

    She turns to face Lorelai, gladly accepting her handshake. "Things would've been much worse without you here and for that I thank you. I'm certain this won't be the last time we meet. A word of advice," she says, glancing at Tavus,"don't let having people under you go to your head. That's how I lost my eye and you and I both only have one left to spare." smiling she adds, "That doesn't mean you should be soft though".

    She faces the entire party, “If your investigations lead you to travel to Mid Port the quickest way is roughly West North-west. You’ll run into The Maw which is really just a glorified crevice but it’s pretty big. If you can find a way to cross it you can probably shave three or four days off of your travels. Everyone else goes around it though, there’s no shame in that, but since you’re in a hurry I thought I’d throw it out there.”

    The Maiden glides to a halt just outside the city. Lucy pivots swiftly around two halflings clumsily hauling a large crate and begins shouting orders at her men.

    The halflings on the ground pry open the back end of the barge and begin unloading your gear and horses.
    Last edited by veven; 2012-05-01 at 12:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Orison's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Endor

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    After a short time of writing and scribbling away in her journal; Lorelai gets up and walks toward the ladder at the aft end of the barge. On her way she stops near Lucy. Nodding in acknowledgement of what Lucy had said earlier, she speaks in a hushed tone;
    "I am no leader, Lucy; and I will not pretend to be. I will, however take your words to heart, as they are the only guidance I have been given on the subject. Until I reach some of my...goals; both Tavus and myself are risking life and limb almost every moment of our journey. I was worried enough about keeping myself alive, let alone this new student. I assure you, his well being is in my best interest. You have helped us greatly, maybe I'll get the chance to repay the favor sometime."
    Smiling meekly; Lorelai turns away swiftly and starts heading down the ladder to assist with the unloading of the party's gear. She finds her horse and feeds it whatever delicious horse treat she can find. She brushes it and gets it ready for travel, whispering prayers to Wee-Jas as she works.
    "Wee-Jas, give me strength and guide me on my journey. I beg for my life and beauty to be eternal as yours is."
    Last edited by Orison; 2012-04-30 at 11:37 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Emerging from the cooler innards of the caravan, Felix looks out into the city and smiles into the distance at the sound of children playing. Taking off his cloak, he stashes it into his pack and pulls out his large brimmed hat, dating back to his more proactive days as a farm hand.

    Fitting his hat into a comfortable position, he walks over to Lucy as she says her goodbyes to Lorelai. Looking down at her, he bends his brim and says, "Thanks for the ride Lucy, I'm sure that in the days to come we will only hope to meet another fine woman such as yourself. I'll be sure to speak of the excellent service you provided, and hope you safer travels than you had with us."

    Chuckling at his last remark, he looks around to each end of the town as far as he can see, and exclaims,"After we head to the 'Rusty Cutlas', I'm going to want to head to the nearest legal office. Don't know about all of you, but I would like to see if there's a way to turn some coin without having to pull it out of the belly of a beast first."
    Last edited by Jedora; 2012-05-01 at 02:47 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Blacktree's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Dask shrugs, mounts his horse, gives the beast a light kick and heads towards the Rusty Cutless, "I'm off"
    Last edited by Blacktree; 2012-05-02 at 01:28 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Orison's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Endor

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Lorelai, pausing for a moment; sees Dask mount his horse and head off toward the city. She swiftly bits and bridles her horse and leaves, just behind Dask.

    "Hey, Dask! Wait up! I'm coming with you!" She hollers as her horse trots briskly behind him. Looking back up at the barge, and using all the volume she can muster; Lorelai calls out:

    "TAVUS! LET'S GO!"

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Tavus clumsily mounts his horse, nearly slipping off of it twice, and trots to catch up with the party. "I can hear, you know" he says meekly.

    As you enter Southwind you get the idea that folks of your kind are a rare sight here. You don't feel any sense of hostility but no one is rushing to your aid either. After walking a short way past the first domes you realize how such tall people can inhabit such small buildings. The buildings are actually buried in the ground, the dome being only the ceiling. Small ramps cut into the earth lead to doors just below ground level.

    The circular city appears to be organized in three concentric rings separated by open spaces nearly fifty yards wide. After some asking around you learn that the Rusty Cutlass lies within the outer ring, known as the third ring, but on the opposite side of the city center.

    The third ring is by far the widest, and most modest of three. Some small paintings might ornament the domes here and there but they are, for the most part, plain and small. The domes of the second ring, roughly one quarter the size of the first, are larger, frequently decorated with extravagant murals and surrounded by beautiful plants. The first ring is quite narrow, just wide enough for a bombastic dome manor on either side of a delicately laid mosaic path depicting the winds of the Aureate Expanse. The domes here are the largest the city has to offer, and the dwellings are often made up of two or three of them linked by tunnels. The adornments in the first ring are breathtaking. Murals of exotic colors are made all the more precious by small bits of gold, silver, and gems embedded in the outer walls. Some hang expertly crafted tapestries around their homes while others decorate with plants twice, no, three times as exotic and beautiful as the second ring. Lorelai swears she recognizes a flower she thought to only be found in the volcanic region of Talus.

    Once you pass the first ring the city erupts. A huge open air market lies at the center of Southwind, and in its center, a marvelous array of statues watches the crowded intersection of the four great streets that each bisect the city at a different angle. Troupes of dancers twirling and breathing flames captivate audiences, a band of bards sings popular songs to a growing crowd that accompanies them raucously. On the far end of the market a group of actors perform The Secret Lives of the Pearl Lords by the famous playwright, Zarrick Theobald. It is a deliciously scandalous depiction of Noble life in Midport, The Pearl of the Plains, the largest of the three cities. Men at stalls shout the names of all manner of exotic fruits and spices and Tavus writes furiously, trying to catalog each one. The smells of cooked meat, sour yogurts, and strong wines of fermented plains grass dance through the air.

    After finally breaking free of the many merchants who accost you with their wears, you find yourself again traveling through the first, and second rings. The Rusty Cutlass lies on the near side of the third ring.

    Upon entering the tavern the temperature drops by what seems nearly 20 degrees and a thick smoke stings your eyes. Two dozen men and gnomes sing and drink and smoke pipes. They appear to be having a party of some sort. Some of them study your group unevenly but don’t seem worried enough to stop partying.
    “Glad you’re back in business Merrin!” one of the men shouts, thrusting his mug in the air as the others bellow in agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Blacktree's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Dask reigns up to the domed building and ties his horse to a post he presumes is used for such purposes... if it is not it matters little. He can not mask his relief as he enters the tavern and the cool, albiet smokey, greets him. Terruk is follows right on his heel.

    “Glad you’re back in business Merrin!”

    Dask looks in the direction of the patron who shouted, then traces the man's line of vision to who he presumes to be Merrin.

    Eager to not lose any more ground than he already has in tracking the botanists, Dask approaches the barkeep and musters as best he can a demeanor that is friendly yet conveys his haste. I am told outsiders often stop here when traveling through the Aureate Expanse. I am looking for some strange men, tall and lean with arcane sigils encircling their brow. Have you seen or heard of such folk?

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Orison's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Endor

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Moving through the city streets, Lorelai works quickly. She records as many of the new sights, smells, people, and cultures present; as fast she can. New foods, arts, and architecture: each one as striking as they are abundant. Nose pinched between the pages of her journal; The Rusty Cutlass seems to sneak up on her.

    Finishing up a passage on a familiar flower she had spotted; Lorelai dismounts her horse and ties it off. She waits for Tavus to do the same before entering the building.

    As the door opens; cool, acrid air engulfs Lorelai. She stifles and tiny cough and motions for Tavus to follow as she wanders over to an empty table. She turns to Tavus and before sitting down, speaks:

    "Tavus.. I know I've not been the most personable since you've begun your apprenticeship, but I want you to know I mean well. I want you to be prepared for the worst. You came into my hands in a complicated time and needless to say, I wasn't exactly prepared. I'll lighten up a bit, but you have to as well. I'm not out to get you. I'm trying to keep you alive."

    Sitting down with a heavy exhale; she looks back to Tavus,

    "I have one more order! Take these two gold pieces and get yourself a drink. Speak up if there's anything you want to do or see while we're here."

    With a smile, she turns back to her journal and begins writing..
    Last edited by Orison; 2012-05-03 at 01:36 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Merrin gives Dask a sideways look while cleaning out a mug.
    "Arcane sigils huh? Nope, can't say that I have." He nods toward a slender, long-haired man sitting at a table nursing a drink.
    "The cogs might know though, talk to Zeriah over there if you've got questions and you're willing to pay."



    Tavus smiles sheepishly.
    "I do appreciate it. After giving it some thought though, I'd rather have you be horrible to me and pass me than be my friend and give me failing marks. I'll do what you ask."
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Blacktree's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Dask starts to turn, but looks at Merrin and says, "I'll take some chilled mead if you have any, something to take the edge off this heat."

    ......................

    "So, who are these cogs you speak of? What manner folk are they?"
    Last edited by Blacktree; 2012-05-06 at 12:30 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Orison's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Endor

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Looking at Tavus sharply; Lorelai replies,

    "Tavus Dunwick! Your grades should be the least of you worries at this current point in time. I've been making you work hard and now I'm telling you to relax a bit. I can assure you- friend or not; you're doing just fine. "

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ****wood
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Aukan enters the tavern and sees Dask talking to the tender and Loreali writing in her journal. Aukan keeps a stern expression in his face and ignores all the stares. "I'll have what he's having if you don't mind"

    Aukan turns to Dask and says We should regroup and continue to follow the tracks as soon as we can. I just can't stand the thought of the seer of my people being taken care of by kidnappers!"

    Aukan then takes a sip of his mead takes a few moments to observe the room.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot --> (1d20+3)[19]

    Listen -->(1d20+3)[8]

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    "That'll be one silver all together."
    Merrin takes hammer and chisel to a brick of ice behind the bar and drops the shattered pieces into two mugs of mead. After handing Dask and Aukan their mugs he turns and says,
    "The Cogs," *ahem* "The Cognoscenti are an information trading guild here in The Three Cities. One of the more powerful guilds too. Zeriah over there works for 'em. I wouldn't call 'em friendly by any stretch but if you've got questions and you've got the clink they're the folks you wanna talk to."

    The diameter of the room in which you stand appears to be roughly forty feet. Two long tables full of dark-skinned men and gnomes celebrating the Rusty Cutlass' reopening sit parallel to each other in the center of the room . These are surrounded by about half a dozen smaller, circular tables.

    Aukan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aside from the general drunken yelling and the heavy pipe smoke you spot the man Merrin mentioned sitting chatting with a rough looking gnome at one of the smaller tables. He is a slim man but with well defined muscles and thick dreadlocks. You notice he has a pair of scimitars strapped to his back.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I dunno if you saw the conversation in the OOC thread but we are condensing the skills a little bit to make your characters a bit more skillful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Riding his horse to the building known as the "Rusty Cutlass", he dismounts and ties him up.

    Walking into the building, he gives a quick look around and walks up to the barkeep, sitting a stool/chair away from Dask.

    Taking off his hat, he places a gold piece on the bar and nods toward the barkeep. He takes this time to listen to what people are talking about currently.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+8)[20]

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    The barkeep bows humbly and slides two mugs of iced mead toward Felix along with a clay bowl of brixashulty stew.

    Felix
    Spoiler
    Show
    Through the sounds of drunken revelry you are able to discern some choice nuggets of gossip, some inane, some seemingly important.
    "...heard the low merchant Greenville is in the Undercaste's pocket, they's plotting to..."
    "...he said the cogs were only caterin' to first ringers. That is why he's dead now..."
    "...Lord's hall in Midport is bein' haunted by some sort of raven that can shatter glass with it's cawing. The say the Merchant Lords've been huntin' 'im for..."
    "...mercahant lords are scramblin' for Theobald's head since this new play o' his..."
    "...Undercaste is gettin' ready to move against the merchants in a big way..."
    "...thing weighed almost seven hundred pounds!"
    "...couple weeks past the dregs and some of the commons started gettin' into some new drug..."
    "...Zeneeya's daughter ran off with some third-ringer. He's got bounty hunters tearin' the third ring apart lookin' for her."
    "...You try that new brew over at The Drunken Demon? Don't tell Merrin but..."
    "...cops still ain't been able to find them that murdered those stonemen here bout two weeks back..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by veven View Post
    The barkeep bows humbly and slides two mugs of iced mead toward Felix along with a clay bowl of brixashulty stew.

    Felix
    Spoiler
    Show
    Through the sounds of drunken revelry you are able to discern some choice nuggets of gossip, some inane, some seemingly important.
    "...heard the low merchant Greenville is in the Undercaste's pocket, they's plotting to..."
    "...he said the cogs were only caterin' to first ringers. That is why he's dead now..."
    "...Lord's hall in Midport is bein' haunted by some sort of raven that can shatter glass with it's cawing. The say the Merchant Lords've been huntin' 'im for..."
    "...mercahant lords are scramblin' for Theobald's head since this new play o' his..."
    "...Undercaste is gettin' ready to move against the merchants in a big way..."
    "...thing weighed almost seven hundred pounds!"
    "...couple weeks past the dregs and some of the commons started gettin' into some new drug..."
    "...Zeneeya's daughter ran off with some third-ringer. He's got bounty hunters tearin' the third ring apart lookin' for her."
    "...You try that new brew over at The Drunken Demon? Don't tell Merrin but..."
    "...cops still ain't been able to find them that murdered those stonemen here bout two weeks back..."
    After taking a swig of some of the cool mead and some spoonfuls of stew, Felix looks up at the barkeep and waves him over.

    Taking some time to talk to him if able (Diplomacy), he then asks him some hushed questions (Gather Information).

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+4)[12]
    Gather Information (1d20+2)[9]
    Asks about these rumors of stone men that were found dead 2 weeks ago, and also about this "daughter of Zeneeya". He will also inquire about this ring system and these "ringers" and how they are related to bounty hunters.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Blacktree's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Dask nods to Felix and Lonehunter, drains his mug, drags the back of his hand across his mouth and gets up from his stool. Terruk gets up from her resting at the base of the stool and looks up at Dask, tilts her head.

    Dask scans the room

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+6)[13]

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Blacktree's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Dask approaches Zeriah as Terruk pads along side,

    "Greetings, I'm told your name is Zeriah and that information is something of a... trade for a man like yourself. I am Dask of the Blacktree, I was sought after in Frontier's End by a small party of tall, lean folk with sigils encircling their brow. They identified themselves as botanists. Are you familiar with an order or race of people who may fit this description?"

    Dask absent mindedly scratches Terruk's head.

    Haven't been in kind of press of humanity since taking shelter in the fastness of Frontier's End. Enclosed, surrounded... I feel your apprehension girl. We just haven't been cooped up with this many bodies in a while... hopefully that is all it is

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Felix
    Merrin lets out an indignant huff.
    "I won't be talkin' about those stonemen. That's all been bad enough business for me as it is, no use in digging it all up again. Wouldn't want to bring it up around your friend anyways" he whispers, nodding at Lonehunter.
    He shakes his head as if trying to loose the thought of the murders from his mind.
    "Zeneeya, on the other hand, I will talk about. He ain't much more than a gas-bag high merchant who's daughter ran off with some gambler from the third ring. You might've noticed the city is laid out, quite literally, in a set of three rings, the third belonging to the commons and low commons, the second to the low and high merchants, and the first for the merchant lords."

    Dask
    The man before you wears an open vest that reveals impressive chest muscles for a man as thin as he. He has thick dreaded hair tied in a bundle that stops just below his shoulder blades, between which lies two finely crafted scimitars. The jagged scar dancing across his dark lips draws nearly as much attention as his voice.
    "The name is Zeriah" he says in a tone as deep and dark as a well. "you seem a deft detective yourself if you already know my name, perhaps you don't need my help?" He smiles amiably but his craggy scar makes him appear more devious than friendly.
    "One moment" he says as his eyes shift to Felix and Merrin.

    Felix
    Merrin leans in a bit closer "Zeneeya's got men trying to root his daughter and this gambler out but they haven't had any luck yet. I'd stay away from the whole thing if I was you, Grayson's Ghouls and the other bounty hunting gui-"
    Before he can finish Merrin is cut off by Zeriah's cavernous voice.

    "You're stealing my business right out from under me Merrin." Zeriah says with an intonation both powerful yet exceedingly calm.
    "Perhaps I should start charging you if you're going to continue letting such juicy rumors just fall out of your face like that."
    His finger dances playfully along the pommel of his dagger as he contemplates the idea.
    "Perhaps." He repeats.

    Merrin manages to stop gaping for a moment and turns to Felix.
    "The Cogs have a monopoly on information in the cities. I guess this is more sensitive than I thought. If you want to know more you'll have to go through them." Under his breath he mutters, "Can't even make small talk without someone trying to make some damn clink off of it."

    Zeriah assumes a more friendly posture and returns to the previous conversation.
    "I'm afraid I don't have the information you seek at hand. Perhaps an evening in the Red Library might yield some answers. Will you still be in town tomorrow morning?"

    Aukan
    An obviously drunk man holding two mugs stumbles into you spilling some of his drink on you.
    "Ah! Stoneman! You lookin' fur your friendsh?" He says, every world galloping sloppily from his drunken mouth.
    "Good luck!" He shouts.
    The man lets out a single, loud laugh and turns to bask in the other's appreciation of his fine joke.
    The men and gnomes at the table stare sourly back at him.
    "Pay no mind to Zach." A gnome with a dark, bristling beard says mournfully.
    "Get back over here!" he shouts at the drunk.
    "Many apologies traveler. If he were sober he would be begging for forgiveness, he really is quite soft."
    Last edited by veven; 2012-05-08 at 02:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Orison's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Endor

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Surveying the room with her good eye; Lorelai listens to the conversations unfold around her...

    Spoiler
    Show
    (Perception) (1d20+2)[6]


    As Lorelai listens nonchalantly; she continues to write notes in her journal.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Turning in his seat to face Zeriah, ”Well I may be staying in this city tonight and I may be here in the morning too, but if and where might cost you.” Smiling now as he reaches back to grab his mug and take a quick drink from his mead. ”And perhaps you need'nt charge this bartender here if that is that I happen to pay you. But I do appreciate the bit about the Red Library.” He says as he raises his mug to him.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Zeriah nearly chokes on his drink.
    "I was addressing Dask here and I assure you I won't be paying you a thing. I offer a service, it is your choice to utilize it or not."
    He turns to face Dask once more but then stops.
    "Also, stranger, the Red Library only allows members of the Cognoscenti to enter. If you could find it, and that is a massively improbable if, you would be slain before you made it through the door."

    He looks at Dask and the same unsettling yet sincere-seeming smile returns to his face. "I can meet you here around breakfast tomorrow morning. If my search is fruitful I will give you all the information I find at an agreeable price.

    Zeriah once more returns his gaze to Felix,
    "Oh, and as a token of good faith here is a bit of knowledge given freely: reign in your heroic urges during your stay in the cities, I can see them written plainly on your face. In the Three Cities heroes are devoured."

    Lorelai
    You are too wrapped up in your journal to catch much of the earlier gossip but by the time Felix and Zeriah have their exchange the tension in the room has become a pressing weight on all those present, including yourself and Tavus who appears to be sweating profusely.
    Last edited by veven; 2012-05-08 at 02:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Blacktree's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    hey Ben, I rolled a perception check earlier too by the way, wanting to listen to the crowd


    Dask looks at Felix with a half-cocked grin, then looks back to Zeriah, "You seem to be a practical man. I can appreciate that. All things, even information, require resources and energy to obtain, and all flow of energy must be replenished. This world is give and take, death and life. I may be curious to discover what your red library contains, but before I waste either of our time I would need to know what that information could cost me... let's say you find something... interesting."

    Without averting his attention from Zeriah, Dask runs his hand along the grained patterns of the wooden bartop, feeling the story of life and death in its now polished veins.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    "Prices tend to vary widely based on how difficult the information is to find and how sensitive we deem it." He takes of a sip of his drink, now a great deal more relaxed than he was a minute ago.
    "We try to keep our services accessible to even those in the third ring and it doesn't seem as though this information you want will be damning to any of the powers that be so I'd guess that it won't cost you more than....one hundred gold."
    He glances over to Felix and Lonehunter, not seeming to have connected Lorelai to your party.
    "Perhaps you gentlemen have questions of your own. If so, you'd better ask them now, I'll be leaving to help your friend shortly."
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Blacktree's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Dask snorts, "Your third ring must be filled with princes and your first ring with emperors. I am a simple druid, though I'm not without resource, but I can smell theft when it wafts by my nose. Who's to say I pay you and the information you give me is barely better than trivial, what recourse have I?"

    Dask looks around the tavern full of foreign faces

    "Not much I imagine. If you can assure me this will cost me no more than 50 gold then I'll have your service."

    Spoiler
    Show
    whatever relevant skill... diplomacy? (1d20-1)[0]

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    "I can assure nothing other than that the information will be sold at a price that reflects its worth" Zeriah says with a hint of contempt in his voice.
    "I do not yet know the value of that which you seek. Perhaps you recall the price given was an estimate and the information could potentially be worth next to nothing. Although considering the direction you are steering this conversation I can see its value inflating already."

    He stands up and begins readying his things.
    "You will agree to my price or you be left in the dark. There is no bargaining."
    With that Zeriah tosses his payment on the bar and ascends the stairs leading into the city.
    Last edited by veven; 2012-05-08 at 02:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Blacktree's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: [E6] Frontier's End (IC)

    Dask shrugs and says to no one in particular, "They must grow them sensitive around here.

    .... Dask turns back to Merrin

    I know he left with a bit of a stick up his backside, but if you see Zeriah, let him know I'd be interested in whatever information he digs up, I will have his coin.

    Spoiler
    Show
    anyone going to ask Merrin about the shutdown...?
    Last edited by Blacktree; 2012-05-08 at 03:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •