New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Shackled City: Life's Bazaar - Down These Streets

Private conversations, frivolities, and ventures, all right here.

Your first prompt, me lovelies; what are you doing on the streets of Cauldron at the middle of the night? Why are you there? Where are you coming from? Where were you going?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Shackled City: Life's Bazaar - Down These Streets

Dyn is outside after a nasty argument with his godfather, wondering why he's become so nasty in the last few months, not liking the rain, wishing he had paid attention when his godmother tried teaching him the endure elements spell, and promising himself he will manage to learn it soon.

*hears call for help*

What the?

*runs to investigate*

Dyn's thoughts:

Spoiler
    Show
    maybe I can scare the assailant off... no, probably not, but I should be able to hypnotize him, or knock him our with a color spray.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2011-10-19 at 03:28 PM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since his father's death, Boddynock has been unable to find much of any kind of employment, and so has run through all but a few copper pieces of the 20 gold pieces that he had when his father died. During the first month after his dad died the bank that had commissioned him payed for a room at an upscale hotel in the city, but since then, he has lived from inn to inn, and for the past week, on the streets.
    He had been going from business to business, looking for employment, and aside from a couple of places that paid him to sweep up for the day, no body wanted some strange, young gnome that had few skills and even less experience. A month ago, a member of a small, ten member thieves guild allowed him to join, in the hopes of finding who killed his father, but so far has been passed over for most assignments due to his lack of experience and, most importantly of all, his lack of his own set of tools.
    Tonight, he had been passed over once again, and he stormed out of the basement where they meet, angry, disappointed, and most of all, hopeless. I'll never find the S.O.B. that killed dad at this rate, I should just leave; Oh yeah, I can't, I don't have enough money to pay the road tolls."Frack" He thinks to himself, cursing out loud at the end, as he curled up under an awning in yet another mysterious part of this cursed city.
    Last edited by Hbgplayer; 2011-10-19 at 04:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusMFD View Post
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    One of the most interesting Derailments I've ever seen!
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Inside Dyn's head:

"Urbanus? Urbanus... Have I heard that name before? Does he have a temple in town?"

'Let's see... this... priest(?) seems to be trying to redeem these thugs? Well, if that could work, that would probably be the best outcome of this mess. Still, the Last Laugh probably wont let them go very easily. They'll need someplace safe to go, but if we give them to the guards, they'll likely either be executed or released after the Last Laugh bribes them out of jail...
    Where in this city could we take them... I wonder?'
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2011-10-26 at 06:09 PM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Morgan the Exile

You step out of the side-study where the others sit listening to Sister Urikas. You take a moment to breathe in the temple to St. Cuthbert. Up the hall is the sanctuary proper of the chapel. The walls are a beautiful veined, white marble. An altar of rosewood rests at the far side of the sanctuary, with oak seats facing it. Stained glass windows line either side, depicting St. Cuthbert in his tribulations and victories. The central window behind the altar is overlain with the iron cross of St. Cuthbert. You hear muttering coming from the general direction of the antechamber, Parsifal hurriedly rushes in, seemingly unaware of you, and starts rooting around underneath the pews. He picks himself back up with a sigh of relief, holding a worn brown book. He starts to head back to the antechamber when he notices you (with a slight jump) and inquires shyly, "... Yes? Do you need help?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Morgan the Exile

"Aye, lad. Lady Jenya has given me right to view the Private Collection of books. Already browsed the public stock. What might that be, lad?" Morgan says, pointing to the book in the man's hands.
    Just finding my roots again.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The young novice looks down, "Oh? This? This is my prayer book. I... forgot it after this evening's service... Please don't tell anyone." Parsifal pleads. He regains his composure and says, "So you need to see our private library? And Sister Urikas has given you permission? Alright then, let me see..." The scrawny half-elf fidgets through his robes until he pulls out a set of keys on a ring. He motions with his hand, "Follow me."

Parsifal guides you through the back halls of the church. The floors here are made from cobblestone, and the air grows a little more chill than back in the study or sanctuary. Parsifal unlocks a heavy-looking wooden door, takes you a few feet down the hall, and then almost immediately unlocks another door.

The chapel library has evidently not been used much. A single, rectangular wooden table sits in the center of the room, with six padded chairs. There are no windows, all the walls being covered with books. Interrupting some of the shelves are cases with glass panels, each one containing specimens of plants, insects, or animal bones from the surrounding mountains and jungles, as well as chunks of rock or pieces of paraphernalia that no doubt have some greater significance to the church.

Parsifal holds the door open for you, asking, "Is there anything else you need?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Morgan the Exile
    "Aye, lad. It'll stay 'tween you and me. But ye owe me." Morgan says, as the youth leads her to the private collection. She shakes her head, as she begins looking through the books and reading what looks interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    So... here is what Morgan is going to do.
    Morgan is going to start reading through books, finding out what she can about 'him'. She's going to keep doing this until she is tired, and then go sleep for eight hours, aiming to wake up around 8am. She'll sleep at the Inn.
    Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+4)[13]
    Knowledge (Arcane): (1d20+4)[24]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Morgan begins to pull anything that might catch her eye from the shelves. There are a number of interesting books, and her arms are soon weighed down by the stack of tomes. Out of her selections, only a few hold any clue to the nature of her 'companion'. The Eight Marks of Judgement is the biography of a famous priest within the Church of St. Cuthbert, a Father Zethymyth. With a brown velvet cover emblazoned with the symbol of St. Cuthbert and nearly one hundred pages long, the hefty volume appears to have been written by a disciple of the Father. In its writings, The Eight Marks reveals the Father's frequent interactions with the 'Nobles of the Outer Spheres'. These extra-planar beings appear to be of varying nature, though; some good, some bad. Morgan comprehends that 'Noble' is a title often used by extraplanar beings of importance.

Her suspicion is confirmed in the next book. Titled simply Magical Incantations, the smaller volume is beautiful, with a rosewood inlaid cover. Inscripted into the cover is the image of an all-seeing eye within a pentagon, the symbol of the church of Boccob. There is nothing particularly spectacular about the book, other than its use as an arcane compendium. However, many of the incantations are put forward to the binding and communication of planar creatures, from elementals to fey to demons and angels. Each major power is addressed as a 'Duke', a 'Knight', a 'Baron', and so forth and so forth. Morgan's suspicion is confirmed; extra-planar creatures mimic their mortal subjects, or perhaps even vice-versa. However, there is no specific mention of her own planar parasite.

It isn't until a somewhat unconventional source that Morgan finds even a hint of a being like 'The Noble'. Even longer than The Eight Marks and covered in cured drake-hide, the book is a fictitious canticle titled The Shining Sword of Heironeous details the trials and travails of a noble paladin. Before his entry into Hell around the middle of the third act, the paladin comes into contact with a variety of entities and celebrities, offering him gifts and blessings for his crusade. Among these is one simply titled 'The Noble':

THE NOBLE: Now hark, young paladin. Accept my gift, and renounce your code, if only for the hour, and I can grant you sights unseen.
    THE PALADIN: Nay, Noble. For err you have dogged me. Many's the man I have cast down on the field of battle, and many's the time you arose with their dying breath, offering the same. I deny you now as then.
    THE NOBLE: Then you are a fool. Fare thee well, paladin. For you will not find my like in that stagnant place.

In his acknowledgements, the author of The Sword of Heironeus says that he drew inspiration for some of his characters from a certain memoir.

Morgan is in luck; apparently, whoever gathered The Sword of Heironeus for the library grabbed its sources as well, including the memoir. It is short, not even a full twenty five pages long, but it is sufficient. Blood in My Hair by Essica of the Three-Wolves Clan. A woman barbarian, not too different from Morgan herself, the memoir is a short reflection by Essica on her life. Essica mentions that in her travels, she met many different kinds of warriors. One of them sounded remarkably like Morgan, a tribal barbarian that wielded magic. When Essica asked how he attained this power, the warrior said that he gained it through a pact with 'The Noble'. He was bound to the entity, but it was worth the exchange for his newfound powers. Later in her life, Essica met the same man, though she did not realize at first. He was deformed and mutated, all but a puppet to The Noble. Essica slew the magos-barbarian, and in his dying gasp The Noble emerged into her mind, offering Essica the man's power. She refused, and so The Noble returned to the corpse, waiting for a new host.

With this knowledge that her case is not unique, and the all but proven fact that The Noble is an extra-planar entity, Morgan turns to the mightiest of her selected volumes. The Theories on Planar Beings by Sister Zelkis is nearly two hundred and fifty pages long. The cover is made from cattle bone, and half-pearls bead the spine. Two feet by two feet, it is a stupendous manuscript, beautifully illustrated and copied not by modern print or magic, but evidently by hand.

Spoiler
    Show

Morgan pours over the information from Sister Zelkis. She learns of the residents of the Outer Spheres, of their nature tied to human beliefs, of how they form a beautiful pattern of interaction with lesser mortals. Unable to read the whole book, Morgan focuses on pacts and dealings with extraplanar creatures. It is here she learns of the nature of magic that can be derived from these bargains. Devils can offer wealth and power, the archons of Celestia may grant aid in return for service, and even the Inevitables and Modrons of Mechanus may make contracts with willing and able mortals. However, what is evident is that these are beings of Order, the forces of Law. As such, their contracts are unabashedly clear, detailing the exact minutiae of those communications. The Noble, however, was not. It was brief, and seemed to be working on some more internal logic that its host could not understand. For what creature passes from the dead to the living, like a parasite? Not any being of order; such actions are more to the liking of the tempestuous fey or the hordes of chaos.

Morgan is tired for the night. She closes the books and puts them back where she found them, resolving to continue her research at a later time. For now, it would be wise to get some sleep, and she must decide between taking refuge at the Chapel or walking through the rain to the Drunken Morkoth.
    Last edited by The Tygre; 2011-12-15 at 06:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Morgan, Kelkin, and Boddynock all head West from City Hall. Past the imposing guard barracks, the trio begin their descent down the twisting and winding road to Crater Lake. The air grows wilder, more full of energy, but also fouler; the smell of tanners and livestock strike from one direction, while the stench of fish comes from the lake. The atmosphere even now is loud, workers shouting at each other from across the street, women between buildings, and children between alleys.

In the Southwest corner of the city, firmly between Lava avenue and Ash avenue, the trio find the Slippery Eel Tavern. The building is made entirely from wood, as many of the newer buildings in Cauldron. But the yellow-brown timber looks as if it has endured a thousand tavern brawls, a veritable tornado of smoke, and a deluge of liquor. Two stories tall with a dark-brown tile roof and windows that haven't cleaned in a dog's age, the Slippery Eel looks much simpler than the Drunken Morkoth. Above the wooden door, a sign with the inn's name hangs, a freshwater eel wriggling between its letters and borders.

Inside, the Slippery Eel is much like its predecessor. A set of stairs lead to the balcony and rooms for rest. The ground floor is layered with worn wooden tables and stray chairs. The bar in front of the kitchen has a surface so smooth as to almost be glass, accompanied by a set of bar stools that look like they were repaired out of stubbornness instead of any kind of practicality.

Behind the bar, a balding man with crow's feet around his eyes but a trusting smile on his face looks at you as you enter. There are already a number of other patrons here as well; two half-elves sitting in the corner, five humans, a table with two gnomes and a dwarf, and a half-orc at the bar.
    Last edited by The Tygre; 2012-02-27 at 02:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

"Wonderful."
    Even though Kelkin is more snarling than talking, there is a smile on his face that is only half-cynical. He wipes his feet, left, then right, knocks on the doorframe with his left fist and looks up for a second, muttering "Blessings on this house, guest rights are claimed", to himself, barely audible even for his colleagues a mere step away.
    Then he enters, his right casually lying on the mace in his belt, the other, as if by accident, pushing his cloak back a bit to show the glinting of old, faded scales.
    He walks up to the bar, ignoring the two stools and knocks lightly on the tabletop.
    "It's still early", he says, nodding to the bartender. "Three pints of dark, I think?"
    There is a questioning glance back over his shoulder at the others.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The barkeeper smiles, "Sure thing, friend. Name's Fallo. Fallo Grymkin. You just let me know if you need anything else, okay? And hey, since you're a new face here, how about this round on the house? By the way, what's your name, stranger?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

13. - Top - End - #13

Boddynock shrugs and nods, as if to say "sure, why not?"
    He looks around to study the room that they are now in. He answers the bar-keep's question without turning, The name's Boddynock, and we have a couple of questions for ya, if you don't mind."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check, looking for anything suspicous, and judging the age of the gnomes and dwarves : (1d20+5)[22]
    Last edited by Hbgplayer; 2012-02-26 at 07:56 PM.
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Oh, no! Not at all! Ask anything you like! Real pleasure to meet you, real pleasure."

Spoiler
    Show
    Boddynock's look around the room doesn't pick up anything suspicious, save for one detail. The two half-elves in the corner are unusually quiet, and the gnome could swear he saw them glancing over in his and his companions' general direction at least once.

At the other table, it appears the dwarf is middle-aged, roughly 150, while the two gnomes look a little younger (comparatively), both being around 60 to 65.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

15. - Top - End - #15

"Thank you kindly, good sir. Actually, I'm going to leave my companions here to ask you about the events we're investigating while I mosey on over and have a chat with my brethren over there," he says motioning towards the table with the gnomes and dwarf, "to talk with them."
    Boddynock begins walking towards the table he indicated a moment ago, still keeping an eye out for anything strange.
    Once at the table, he speaks in a respectful tone, first to the Gnomes in Gnome:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Good morning, sirs,"

Then turning to the dwarf, and speaks in Dwarven to him:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "and a very good morning to you, sir,"

he then switches back to common to address the three of them.
    "My companions and I are investigating a rash of crime that has occured recently, and I would like to ask a few questions, if you don't mind. Continuing in this language is O.K. if we must, but I would prefer to continue in either one of our native tounges, as to improve security; do we all know the other's languages?" he asks.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The three companions look between each other. One of the gnomes speaks up, "You're well met. And I thank you for the respectful greeting. However, out companion here (nodding to the dwarf) is not familiar with gnomish, what with being a stubborn ass and all."

"Got you to learn dwarven, didn't I?" The dwarf belches contentedly. The other gnome interjects, explaining, "So it looks like we'll be speaking dwarven."

Spoiler
    Show
    "As you all should!" The dwarf cheerily bellows. "Now, 'bout these crimes. Folk been disappearing? I've seen this before. I used to be a stone-cutter's apprentice at Greyhawk. Same thing happened one Summer. Same deal as here. People just disappeared all over the city. Rich, poor, man, woman. Whole droves of em'. Never did find out what it was. But I've got my sources, an old thieves' guild buddy. He says that one night, he busts into a warehouse to filch some snake weed and spiced wine. He accidentally bursts into a room crawling with fellas in black cloaks. There's blood and runes all over the walls. And at the other end of the room? One of the disappeared folks, her throat slit wide open. He ran like Hell after that, but he was able to remember one thing real clear; a statue, something like a snake with two heads and squid arms. Reason he remembers? He says the statue had gems the size of my fist for eyes. You ask me, it's the same deal. Who's to say there's no fishy cult here, huh?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Morgan the Exile

Morgan follows behind Kelkin, standing beside the man. "Aye. That'll be fine." She says. She turns to the Bartender. "Morgan be my own name. This here be Kelkin. As Boddynock, we're looking to ask some questions and find some answers in turn. We're looking into the disappearances in the city, under the Church of St. Cuthbert's blessin'. Don't suppose you'd have heard anythin' in regards to them?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Fallo awkwardly looks down, having taken a sudden intense interest in cleaning the counter. The barkeepr mutters, "Oh, I- I wouldn't know anything about that. I mean, anything important. Sometimes my customers talk, but they're just rambling, y'know? It's the ale. Makes people say stuff they don't know nothing about. It's not any of my business. I mean, I don't want to intrude on anyone. Definitely don't want to wind up like Tolstev, that's for sure. Not that anyone would ever do that to me! But, just in case. Say, can I get you folks some more to drink?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Morgan the Exile

Morgan lowers her voice, making it barely audible above the noise of the tavern, but loud enough for herself, Kelkin and the Bartender to hear. "Where I am from, we stop theft by breaking one of the man's arms. We stop murderers by hunting them. We stop those who would seek to dominate us by breaking them, seeing them run from us. But liars are the worst kind of poison to us. Lies create a weakness in a man. The only way to remove weakness from someone, is to make them feel pain. Pain is weakness leaving the body.

"I had taken you for a man of strength, but I might be wrong on that. So let me ask again, what do you know of these kidnappings, and who is this Tolstev you mentioned?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+6)[21]
    COME ON BABY.

20. - Top - End - #20

Spoiler
    Show
    @^: Heck, I'm intimidated by that!

Boddynock listens to the dwarf with rapt attention, and visibly pales on hearing his account.

"Oh. Oh dear. That's very disturbing! I hope that's not what's happening here, but it sure sounds similar. You said that it only lasted a single summer? How long after that did you live in Greyhawk? And do you recall any instances of young children disapearing? Quite a few have disapeared from a local orphanage, and one child that disapeared was a 12 year old dwarf!" Boddynock explained, emphasizing the age of the dwarf.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Kelkin sighs.
    "Really? Are you really doing this?"
    He takes a sip of his ale and smacks his lips.
    "For a man who has a pretty good dark, that's a pretty obvious one, isn't it? If you really wouldn't want to talk, why would you mention that you do know anything, and that something is wrong?"
    He leans a bit closer.
    "So. You are going to tell us, that much is obvious. This is really only about the details, isn't it? For example, one detail is that I could now leave the bar and leave my friend here alone with you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy:
    [roll]1d20+4[/roll]
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-03-10 at 10:28 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Fallo cowers down and is visibly shaking. Tears well in his eyes as he squeaks out, "I'll tell! I'll tell everything! Just don't hurt me! Tolstev was a hire-on for the guards! He investigated the case and found some kind of clue! Something with the locks and who made them! He came in here to get drunk and spilled the beans in front of the whole tavern! Not even a few hours later, he was face down in the lake stuck like a pin-cushion! I told him not to talk so loud, not to say anything! I know the Last Laugh comes here to drink! They heard him and *schlikt* down he goes! Oh gods below, I don't want to die!"

_____

The dwarf and the gnomes both pale at the revelation. The dwarf admits, "Ye gods, that's low... But I can't be much help. I stayed in the city for another decade after that before moving on. I didn't hear much about the kidnappings or any kind of cult after that Summer. Not anymore so than usual. Greyhawk's a big city. People go missing every day. All sorts of weirdos coming and going. And far as I know, my friend was the only person to ever actually -see- the cult. The rest was just gossip. Wish I could be more help, but you know as much as I do now."
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Morgan the Exile

"Locks? Locks?" Morgan says, chuckling. She turns to Kelkin. "What did I say, right off the bat? Those things!" She turns back to Fallo. "Stop your whimpering. Who in this city makes locks?"

24. - Top - End - #24

"Thank you very much, sirs, for both your time and information. I will not bother you any further," Boddynock says with a bow in Dwarven. He moves back to his compatriots and tells them what he's learned. He also checks to see if the group of half-elves are still checking on his group.

Spoiler
    Show
    I will roll the spot check in OOC when I get a real computer, not my phone, so I can check my spot modifier.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Whimpering, Fallo sputters, "There're at least three locksmiths around town; but the one he kept talking about, the way Tolstev was going on, I think he meant Keygan Ghelve! He didn't get much beyond that, but it had to have been Ghelve! Now please let me go!"

_____

Boddynock checks on the two half-elves one more time. They seem to have lost interest in the group and have returned to conversing with each other.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

26. - Top - End - #26

Boddynock rendezvous with the rest of his group just in time to hear the end of Fallo's whimpering. "It sounds like you've made more progress on the current events than I have; the group I just talked to don't know anything about whats happening now, but the dwarf said that one summer when he lived in Greyhawk a rash of kidnappings occurred, similar to what's happening now, and one of his friends ran into a group sacrificing a girl to, and I quote, 'a statue, something like a snake with two heads and squid arms,'" he whispers, using air quotes, "I have a really bad feeling that that's happening here. What'd you learn?" He asks.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The three companions leave Fallo whimpering behind the counter and exit the Slippery Eel tavern. The noonday sun is shining brightly now, and the air clears as the trio ascend to Ghelve's Locks. Kelkin, Boddynock, and Morgan don't have to travel far. Still within the south-west district of Cauldron, just a little north from the Slippery Eel on Lava Avenue, stands the lock shop.

Carved from black stone, Ghelve's Locks is a suitably impressive shop. Two stories tall with barred windows, the facade of the building is dominated by a small turret. To the left of the turret, hanging above the oak door, is a sign with the shop's name. In the windows, the party can see locks of every kind displayed, from large to small, simple and complex.

The three companions enter abruptly. Inside, the storefont smells of wood and pipe smoke. Two padded chairs flank a hearth containing a small yet lively fire. The fireplace's carved mantle bears a tinderbox, a small vase of dried smoking leaves, and a finely wrought collection of pipes. A burgundy strip of carpet leads from the entrace to the wall across from it, where dozens - perhaps hundreds - of keys in all shapes and sizes hang from tiny hooks. Behind it hangs a red curtain that neatly hides the rest of the store.

Behind the counter, a pepper-haired man with a jeweler's lens on is busy at work adjusting an engraved lock. His salt-and-pepper hair, combined with a furrowed brow, neatly trimmed moustache and goatee, and grave frown make the man look frumpy and dour. His features suggest that he is a gnome, but that simply can't be when he stands over six feet tall! Without looking up, the man tiredly says, "Welcome to Ghelve's Locks, the finest locksmith in all of Cauldron. I'm Keygan Ghelve. How may I service you today?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Morgan

Morgan walks into the store smiling, which fades into a scowl the closer she gets to Ghelve. She looks down at him as she lumbers over him, her face still that of anger and cruelty. "Man was murdered a few nights ago at a bar. Silently, quickly and without much hassle or a fight. Was investigating disappearances in the city, mentioned locks. Mentioned your place, then his throat was slit.

"We're on a short schedule here, and here to get to the bottom of these crimes, since you're so hot you get men killed by the mere mention. So answer me, Keygan Ghelves, what do you know of the recent kidnappins' of the city?"

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+6[/roll]
    Assuming I'm taller than him.
    Last edited by Cardea; 2012-04-02 at 08:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Boddynock follows Morgan into the shop, but as she gets straight to the point, he has nothing to say, so he just stands there, looking as imposing as possible. He does look curiously at the man's features, though; he is puzzled as to why the man looks like a fellow gnome, but is almost twice his height.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kelkin sighs. "It's been a long day, friend. You'd be wise to come out with the truth while you still have the chance. Whatever happens if you don't... well that's on you."

Still, Ghelve doesn't look up from his work. If anything, the fervor in his job increases. Sweat starts to bead on his brow as he says, "I'm... I'm going to have to ask you to leave. I've had enough of people asking me questions. So, kindly exit. I'll call the guards if you don't." For the first time during the whole conversation, Keygan makes eye contact with each of you, making sure not to move his head. He loudly whispers, "Get out. Get out of here now. You have to hurry and get out."
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters