New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: Mordae's New Keep on the Borderlands 3.5 (IC)

Disappointed to not get more information, Valdamian takes up the offer of extra bunk space to go meditate. The news of nearby lizardmen and troglodytes was at least some lead to be getting on with, and he'd be sure to pass along the information to the others in the morning.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Daniel rests in the shade of the alley eyes and ears open to all noises until it grows dark.
    This is horrifying beyond anything Lovecraft ever wrote or Giger ever drew.

MCulpa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVopG...el_video_title
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192558

(Screw the point)-Doomboy911

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Renard settles into the bed and is snoring softly almost immediately. Years of travel have allowed him to fall asleep just about anywhere.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The private rooms are small and utilitarian, with narrow slit windows that could double as archer positions in the event of a fight within the walls. A small table and three chairs are set up against one interior wall, while under the window there are three low cots topped with straw-filled mattresses. Once the tallow candles are extinguished, the place is nearly pitch-black; only a trace of torchlight from the high walls filters through.

Daniel finds the streets of the citadel unusually empty. While in most towns and even small cities people might store common goods up against their homes and workshops, everything here is locked down tight. Each building does have a rain barrel, though, and with the relatively dry season so far several barrels have run dry. So the rogue tucks himself inside and quietly observes the late evening happenings--changings of the guard, roving patrols, and the like. There does not seem to be much, if any, civilian traffic after the sun goes down.

Dawn breaks early and cold over the northern outpost of the duchy. Gradually, the noises of the castle's livestock start to build into a low din, coupled with the babble of farmers and merchants beginning their daily routine. In the Crow's Foot common room, the staff are beginning their preparation of breakfast, the smells and noises of which are much more compelling.
    Last edited by Mordae; 2012-05-08 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Added morning
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

5. - Top - End - #35

*snore*

Renard will wake just before dawn, and find a quiet place out in the open to pray for the day's spells (same list as on the sheet).

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    *snore*

Renard will wake just before dawn, and find a quiet place out in the open to pray for the day's spells (same list as on the sheet).
    Same for Adomourne

7. - Top - End - #37

While the "stuffy" spellcasters are off preparing their spells, Valdamian wanders down to the inn's common room for some breakfast, entertaining the locals with a riveting (but completely made up) story of how he managed to escape from an entire tribe of orcs that had tried to chase him down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff - (1d20+14)[22] to see how good of a yarn Valdamian spins...

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Well that was uneventful night." Daniel says climbing down from the ceiling.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Breakfast consists of ham slices, fresh eggs, and a barley porridge that is definitely on the watery side. There are no complaints from the hungry folk in the common room, though--the proprietor's one-eyed glare sees to that.

The other adventurers that Valdamian had overheard the previous morning are gathered at their customary table, and there are a few assorted off-duty guards and a trio of teamsters besides. All seem somewhat impressed by the warlock's boasts. The leader of the adventuring band, however, offers a smile that barely manages to mask a sneer. "So, if you ran from orcs, what brings you all the way up here, where there are real dangers? Iron Falls isn't for the faint-hearted."
    Suspiciously normal.

10. - Top - End - #40

Renard enters the room as Valdamian is in mid-boast. He gathers a bit of food and hears the other adventurer basically accuse Valdamian of cowardice. He sits down next to his travelling companion, making a show of adjusting the morningstar hanging at his side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Renard is trying to position himself between the other adventurers and Val, in case his boastful nature ticks them off further. He's letting Valdamian do the talking though.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"My friend ran from the orcs because he had to care for me. You see I am much to frail for the likes of an orc. In order to save my life he carried me away from trouble. It just so happen that this lovely spot was the closest place." Daniel says adding to the lie.

12. - Top - End - #42

Stern

When Stern wakes up the sun is already high, he overslept. He cleans himself and prepare for a new day. He leaves the room and meet his companions on the common room.

Stern orders breakfast and sees his storyteller getting a crowd arround, and slowly making them angry... again.
    "Who is that guy?" he asks the proprietor refering to the leader of the adventuring band.

After getting some information he joins Daniel's table as if he were another spectator.
    Last edited by AsDeR; 2012-05-08 at 03:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Steny wakes grogily and, as he goes about cleaning himself and his clothes, wonders vaguely how he got to a room. Hopefully in the arms of some lucky young lady.

His eyes still a bit bleary, he settles on the highest chair at the table around which some of his fellows are breaking their fast.

"Oh, yes. Ham and ... porridge. This will be better with a thick beer."

As he carefully tests which has the better consistancy - thre porridge or the beer - he notes Stern becoming grumpy about the storytelling.

"Daniel," he pipes loudly but distractedly, "the orcs may not have taken such a dislike to you if you hadn't broken your marriage vow to the chieftain's daughter."

"Perhaps if I pour some beer into the porridge?" A study of concentration, he begins to do so.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

" I said I would marry his beautiful daughter and he showed me swine with an adorable nose with the cutest laugh. Oh god I`ve made a terrible mistake Kran take me back beautiful this lone wolf will tie himself down for you."Daniel than sobs a little at love that may be lost.
    Last edited by Doomboy911; 2012-05-08 at 05:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

"Aye, if it were only a handful of orcs, it would be easy to stand fast and slay them. But an entire tribe at once? Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, after all." No need to lie here, as Valdamian is simply stating the facts of life. "Now, as for the dangers of Iron Falls, what's this I heard about lizardmen? That sounds like just the type of job we were looking for."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

16. - Top - End - #46

"And the Troglodytes. A Troglodyte war band here could be a big problem."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Indeed monsters a plenty are about but I fancy a certain beast. Has anyone seen any traces of a Gray Render? You know big footprints, trees that look like they've been torn up by the root."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doomboy911 View Post
    " I said I would marry his beautiful daughter and he showed me swine with an adorable nose with the cutest laugh. Oh god I`ve made a terrible mistake Kran take me back beautiful this lone wolf will tie himself down for you."Daniel than sobs a little at love that may be lost.
    At this comment the guffaws from the assembled crowd drowns out any further snarky remarks from the leader of the rival adventurers. The proprietor leans over to Stern and answers, "It's Grogan Helmsplitter. Bit of a lout, not much of a tactician, but holds his own in battle." The one-eyed man pauses before adding, "Or so I hear."

The others in the common room have the following to say about the various monsters of the area: before Norgar and his companions came to this remote spot and built the citadel, there were various tribes of lizardmen occupying this valley. Most of them have been driven out, though there are still some holding out in the vicinity of Iron Falls. There are other humanoids in the vicinity as well, a number of which were driven from the Caves of Chaos by Norgar and a mighty war party some years ago. The troglodytes appear to be relative newcomers; no one is sure where they arrived from, or why they are trying to stake out a claim on this valley.
    Suspiciously normal.

19. - Top - End - #49

Renard leans in to his companions and says "This group of troglodytes could be a real problem, especially if it riles up what's left of the lizardman population. Could be lucrative to investigate..."

To Grogan and the others: "Where were these troglodytes seen?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Daniel looks to the others. "So what have you gents done? We told you our story what''s yours?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Gorgan seems loathe to humor further discussion, especially since it would probably involve a retelling of his latest defeat, but one of his mates perks up to Renard's query. "Well, we met them on the west side of the Castellan River; you know, the big one that drops down Iron Falls and flows past the citadel here. To me, they looked like raiders--equipped for moving fast, you know, with short bows and spears--so I'd guess if anything they're looking to expand territory now that the lizzies have fallen on hard times. That or they're after the supposed lizardman temple and it's fabled treasure."

The one-eyed bartender scoffs at the last bit of the tale. "I tell you, Dane, t'ain't no such thing. Norgar's men-at-arms scoured the countryside and found nothing at all. No ziggurats, no stone columns, nothing. It's all a myth."
    Suspiciously normal.

22. - Top - End - #52

Renard looks at his companions. "Sounds like something we can take a look at, eh? A trog/lizardman conflict would be bad for the area."

23. - Top - End - #53

"Oh, I'm a big fan of myths and legends," Valdamian says casually. "We should go to check it out on that basis alone. And stopping one of the various reptile groups from consolidating their strength is probably wise, too. Do we need to get some from of official permission to go 'hunting' in these parts?"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Indeed just tell us it's impossible and there's a chance we might just do it for our own amusement. In fact we don't need information we'll find it ourselves. I'm sick of city life already let's head out and find some information." Daniel readies his grappling hook and sets out. "Join with me now or I'm keeping all the gold for myself."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Suddenly showing interest in the conversation, Stenly looks at Daniel in annoyance and astonishment. "Must you be so bloody chipper? I haven't finished my breakfast!"

His bowl is, in fact, empty, but you probably saw he'd fallen asleep for a minute there.

"Somebody said something about permission, I think. Let's do find out the local laws and customs before we get ourselves hanged for poaching the lord's lizardmen, or some such, eh?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Daniel heads to the opposite side of the city (opposite of where he came in) and approaches a guard. "If I pay the fee to leave the city can I try to leave with my grappling hook. You see I recently bought it and the moment I entered this beautiful place I wanted to try and scale your magnificent walls."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

OOC: I'm going to assume that by "opposite" Daniel means "west", since the main gate is in the northeast corner on the east wall.

The corporal of the northwest tower guard gives Daniel a queer look. "Now that might be the craziest request I've ever heard. You do realize it's a hundred foot sheer drop down into briars, don't you?" He points down over the wall of the tower, where beyond the forty feet of the tower height there are rugged stone cliffs descending further toward the river valley below and to the west. It would take a mighty amount of rope to reach the bottom, and from there it's a hefty hike along shrub-studded rocky slopes to get back to the road.

Back at the tavern, the cyclops of a bartender nods sagely to Stenly's question. "See the quartermaster; his office is on the west end of the green. He can provide you with a letter of marque and a map of the surrounding wilderness."
    Suspiciously normal.

28. - Top - End - #58

"Gents, I suggest a visit to the quartermaster is in order." Renard glances over at Stenly. "After breakfast, of course."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Stenly thanks the barkeep and raises his tankard to Renard, realizes it's empty and passes it over to the cyclops for a refill.

"I'll wait for you to catch up." He throws a wink to the nearest lady and guzzles his hair-of-the-dog. He sighs contentedly and leaves with the others, a happy spring in his step.

30. - Top - End - #60

Valdamian heads with Renard to see the quartermaster.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota