New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

Costica seems startled, either by the magic or by August's generosity. "Thank you, young master," he says simply.

"I can't honestly answer you, I'm afraid. I know only what I've heard from the older members of our village and the occasional visitor from the town of Barovia. The last one I heard about was, ah, 23 years ago, I believe. It may be he's found a new object for his affections, but I don't know."

"I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question either, sir," he says turning to Isaac. "I imagine the count might have one in his castle, but I don't imagine he'd let you poke around. Barovia's burgomeister might have some books."

Just as the farmers make a hurried exit—Aswin crushing the table, or the sudden appearance of a wolf in the tavern may have had something to do with it—the barkeepers's son returns leading a tall, lean man. His features resemble nothing so much as a hawk's, with predatory eyes, a hooked nose, and stern mouth. His clothing is far richer than the farmers', and wears pieces of jewelry here and there.

"Ah, speaking of the town of Barovia," Costica says, recovering from the shock Aswin gave him. "This is Liviu, a merchant who is stopped in town for a few days. He has a message, I believe, from the burgomeister of Barovia that you might be interested in."

"Mmm yes," Liviu says. "I came from, mmm, Barovia town. The burgomeister gave me this letter, mmm, and said to give it to anyone who looked like they could, mmm, handle themselves in a fight." He looks the group up and down exaggeratedly. "You should do, I, mmm, imagine. The job may suit you, mmm, particularly well," he says to Aswin.

Liviu digs through his jacket pocket and pulls out a letter sealed with red wax and hands it to Isaac.

The Letter:
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit:
    @Stack
    Spoiler
    Show
    The spell seems to ease the farmer's discomfort, but his skin does not heal, nor do his cataracts lessen. This is quite unlike any disease you have heard of.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

Peering at the letter over Isaac's shoulder, August nods enthusiastically. "A worthy cause. Aswin, it seems the quest, as always, has found the heroes. Shall we ride out to meet it?"

Taking two steps toward the door, August pauses and turns back. "Ah, but then, not all of us may be suited. Isaac, perhaps you should follow us at your own pace? If battle is not your calling, you can arrive once we have freed the town, and seek your books then."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Arya Skye, Catfolk Knight

Arya waited patiently to see the letter, not trusting the hawk faced human who seemed to appear so suspiciously, but upon reading the letter she forgot the other strange occurrences and spoke to the others.

"This must be our duty, we are called here to aid these poor folk in their direst hour. I am no mercenary, but I will go and fight these monsters as my sacred duty." All this is said in a quiet but confident tone, and Arya rests her hand upon the hilt of her largest sword.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Professor Pellivander tilts the letter to allow the others to read it at their own pace, handing it off once he has read it in its entirety.

A grim look sets upon somewhat pallid feature, the white-coated man shaking his head. "This does not make sense. Some mysterious force rips us from our homes, landing us in this hellish landscape. And not half a day after our arrival, we are handed a task."

He pushes himself to his feet, hand shaking as he bears his weight upon his cane. "No, August. Though I may slow you, I fear that there is more at work here than merely a well-timed quest delivered to brave adventurers from the annals of history. I will accompany you until I can unravel these events."

He makes his way towards the door of the tavern, looking outside. "Perhaps you will allow an old man to ride your steed, August? Though I have little experience with the animals, it will allow you to make time without my disabilities holding you back."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

"Then we shall do so. Artax will be happy to bear your weight, as we have not enough mounts for everyone who wishes to go anyway."

August turns to the merchant, returning the letter. "Liviu, can you provide us with directions to the township?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Arthos is puzzled by his powers mild effect. I have never failed before...perhaps this place has weakened my gift. I may not be able to draw on Irian here. But then what use am I? How will I find a way back if my one gift is taken?

He keeps his doubts to himself, brooding quietly until the message is read. Gift or know, I must do what I can. "I will stand with them against this threat. The dead ought not trouble the living and I will see none suffer while I have strength."

Marana, I must help them. Perhaps doing so will bring me home.

He takes up his staff and gathers his gear, ready to set out at once.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

"It is north," says Liviu. "Take the, mmm, Old Svalich Road out of this little town. Be sure you do not, mmm, stray from the path. There are, mmm, wolves and fiercer things in the forest."

Liviu turns to Costica. "Thank you for your, mmm, hospitality. I must be going; my, mmm, business in the south will not wait." He drops a small pouch in front of the barkeep; it makes the dull clink of gold. He then walks out the door with a flourish of his velvet-lined cape.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

8. - Top - End - #68

Griffon

Triss reads over Isaac's shoulder. As the others are quick to express thier willingness to help, she says, "It seems we were brought for a purpose after all."

She glances at August and Arya. "Two Purple Knights. Two..." she shakes her head slightly, "what are the chances?" she says under her breath as she follows the others out the door.

"Two knights, a barbarian from the North, a sage and a Cleric to a stange god and me. Whoever brought us has a strange sense of companions."

As the others gather, she looks to August who it seems has become the leader of the lost souls, "If you wish, I can take point and scout ahead. Thanks to the berries magic, I dont think we'll need to hunt."
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2012-05-04 at 08:39 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, it is but a path in between. Should we face travails upon our way, it would be best to face them together, and oughtn't we make as much haste as we can?" Cheerfully optimistic, August leads the way outside and saddles Artax for Isaac to ride. "It is when we reach our destination that we must be most alert, if you will pardon the suggestion."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #70

Kobold

Isaac clambers onto Artax, seeking no small amount of assistance from the boy. He looks out-of-sorts on the beast. He looks at his floating mechanical companion with a beleaguered look on weathered visage.

"Vesper, how do you ride one of these!" He whispers to the A.I. conspiratorially, though the machine seems to have no grasp of secrecy or tact.

"Consulting Net reference. Error: Net connectivity insufficient. Consulting local memory. Entry for 'Horse riding' not found. Sorry Professor."

The man frowns, and gently shakes the reins of the horse, his tone meek and questionable: "Giddyup?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Artax gives an extended snort that could perhaps best be described as 'long-suffering', and tilts his head back to stare at the professor. Sighing, August reaches up and gives the horse's ear a hard tug, and after a half-hearted attempt to bite August's fingers in return, Artax sets off forward at a pace clearly intended to be a little faster than a comfortable walk.

"Well then, let us follow apace. We have many miles to cover, I'm sure."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

The trip is long. The Old Svalich road is old and in need of repair: here and there steel grey pools of water block much of the path and force you to travel single file. Along the edges, tall and broad oak trees—surely older than any of you have ever seen—cast diffuse and haunting shadows. The cold clinging mist makes the journey miserable, and you have to stop occasionally to rub down Artax's joints.

Shortly before you stop for a midday meal, you encounter a gate. The stone walls flanking it extend some distance into the forest, and the massive rusting iron gates are unmanned. As you approach, however, the gates swing open, and as you pass through they close with a certain finality.

Finally, a few minutes after sundown, the party sees the town. It lies in a small valley, surrounded by hills, and mist blankets it, thicker than any you've yet seen since your arrival. There are no lights in windows like you saw in the village of Svalich, no torches moving through the fog, no sign of life, or, for that matter of unlife.

@Fireheart
    Spoiler
    Show
    Occasionally you hear the sounds of movement from the forest, possibly of creatures following you.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Each square is 40 ft on each side. Fog obscures your vision, so as you move through the town I'll reveal more of the map.

13. - Top - End - #73

Kobold

Isaac slips down from Artax's saddle, coming to set his own two feet on the ground with a stumble. He dusts off the lapel of his pure white laboratory coat, looking silently to his A.I., before directing his gaze into the impenetrable mist that clouds their view further into the town.

"Ominous. At one time, I would have said fear of thick fog might be unfounded...but since the Awakening, we have come to find that...-things- lurk in thick fog such as this. We should proceed with caution, I think." The aging man hobbles closer to the group, seeking to settle himself near the back, letting the more stout of body and heart stride first into the unknown.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Something about the letter rubbed Aswin the wrong way; he had seen many people call for hep, and something here seemed - off... All I have shall be thine... It reminded him more of a defeated villain tempting his better to spare his life, not a community calling out for heroes to save them.

"The legions of hell, the walking dead, this place becomes stranger the more we learn about it", he commented while riding. "I wonder, who would create a place like this? Have the evil and disease last so long that the people regard it as normal? The mists, their strange sickness, they weren't disturbed by these things."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

15. - Top - End - #75

Kobold

"Time inures people to tragedy, Aswin. Where I come from, the cities have slums that are home to the most toxic and vile sorts of behavior and wares...but to those that have grown up with it, it is ordinary."

The old man stands still for a moment, leaning his weight heavily on his cane. The horse ride had helped with the strain on his knee, but its pain was still felt with every step. "I am not averse to helping these people in what ways we can, but we must remember that seeking a path back to our respective homes is of equal, if not greater import."
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2012-05-05 at 06:43 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

The journey had been uneventful, each of her companions seemingly caught up in their own thoughts. If each had truly been torn from their own homes then surely they had a deal to ponder.
    The professor had proved himself an erudite mind, and to Arya's ear he sounded like one of the ancient Circle members, who had presided over the 'Folk. A wise man thought, even if he is a hairless-mole-man. And August, well that one seemed kind, allowing the professor to ride the grumpy mule, showed at least some kindness and humility.
    Perhaps these companions would not be truly wayward and incompetent, as the men of her world had shown themselves to be.
    This city however, this didn't raise her hopes, for these men were as downtrodden as it was possible to be, with no pride or strength, yet she would guard them for her blade was sworn to be the strength of the weak, the shield of the defenceless.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

"Get back?" Aswin asked. "That may be desirable to you, but not for me, especially with people in dire need here. Whether or not this is the afterlife, I died before I arrived here. What I once called home is not my place anymore. The dead should not walk among the living."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

18. - Top - End - #78

Griffon

Triss moves quietly along the path, sometime toward the front and sometimes toward the back. As she walks, she considers the stange world she has found herself in. The townpeople are as downtrodden as any she had heard the ones in Thay were. Perhaps this place was a ruled by Wizards and Slavers as well.

As the mist encroaches upon them she moves to the front of the line, staying close to August's side until they stop at the outskirts of town. As they stop, she tries to peer through the mist to see if anything or anyone is moving...

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Arthros produces a par of shinning rings from his satchel. I hope this works here.

"As we expect battle soon, I might suggest one of our fine warriors put one of these on. While I wear the other, it will serve as a connection, transferring a portion of their wounds to me through the linkage. While not terribly pleasant for me, it has served well in previous adventures." He looks to the large warrior and the cat woman, holding up a ring.

Spoiler
    Show
    platinum rings = focus for shield other, 1/2 damage goes to Arthros. Should be warn by our main tank.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"As for me, I have no need to return until I find a way to bring the moon back with me. And now that this quest has found us, we shall see it through to the end." Reaching down to his belt, August unwraps the glowing glass orb and holds it out to the mist.

"The town shows no lights, so they must fear what the light draws. In this mist, we shall never find what does not wish to be found; thus, let us have them find us." Grasping the hand around his neck once more, August bends the fourth finger inward to join the others, and his skin seems to thicken slightly, acquiring a rough, barklike texture.

Spoiler
    Show
    Barkskin. Lasts 50 minutes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Arya considered Arthros's offer though at first she had been tempted to reject it out of hand. Still she decided against it, viewing the idea with disgust.
    "Though it would be a selfless act on your half, I would not let another suffer in my place. Never fear, I will shield you from these creatures, not the other way around."

Still, she couldn't quite get the notion out of her head, though it was abhorrent, and stank of some dark magic, she also saw the benefits of it. She would be able to fight for longer, and the man seemed to be willing to do it, and had proved himself a capable healer.
    Perhaps things were not quite what they had seemed, this stank of a testAnd I will not be found wanting she promised herself. Yet she found her conviction wavering, What if my ideals aren't the right thing here?

A dark path to tread
    she realised, I must trust to the strength of Honour and Justice.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

"I agree, why should I let someone else suffer for the wounds I sustain?" Aswin asked. "That is not the way of Thor, so neither is it mine. I fight, and whatever blows I fail to avoid will be mine to bear."

23. - Top - End - #83

Kobold

The professor shakes his head. "You two remind me of some of a few of my more hard-headed students, unwilling to trust in the age and experience of another." His gaze settles upon Arthros, "By this man's words, he is a dedicated healer. Though such masochism may seem aberrant, its practical benefits are undeniable. I trust that he would not endure this pain for you, if he did not have a very good reason to."

He pushes his glasses up as they walk forward as a group. "Indeed, which pain do you think is the greater: A few scratches met for an ally, or the despair of a loss that he he could have prevented with this technique, but was not allowed to?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"There is no dishonor. It is easier to heal myself than another. My most effective healing requires a touch, one that would leave me exposed to retaliation. If I can rather stand back form the fray and heal myself, it reduces the risk to us all. If matters are as grave as they appear, we will need to work together, not try to fight individually. I have seen many groups head into danger. The ones that came back out where not the strongest, nor the fastest or most clever, but the ones that could work together."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"You offer sage council, wise one. This man's offer is generous indeed, especially to those he does not know, but I must decline. I am the First Claw of the Knights of the Far Plains, and I am sworn to protect. Your powers do not help me to that attend, they would turn me into something else. When all else is stripped from us, honour is all I have left."

As she said those words, a sudden finality came into her voice. It is true, I am alone in this world, teh 'Folk will think I have abandoned them. It is all gone, all lost. Honour is all I have left.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Taking his weapons from Artax, August dons them once more, although it seems he expects them to see little use, for he does not bother drawing either. "Well, why not shield Isaac or T'rissaste from harm, then? We all face this foe on even ground, and we have all made the choice to walk into danger. We will be caught unprepared only if we are focused too much on preparation."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #87

Griffon

Still don't understand Knights.

I would agree. If Isaac wishes it, it would make sense to ward the sage. Otherwise, I will accept it. You can heal yourself of these wounds, right?
    Triss says.

28. - Top - End - #88

Kobold

"Thought I fret being wounded, that ability would be better suited upon Trissaste. I have no intention of rushing into a brawl." The professor keeps sight keen when it comes to their immediate surroundings. There was nothing here...but the silence was oppressive. He had grown up in a world filled with noise, from the sound of rushing traffic, to loud music blaring over speakers, to the constant advertisements that bombarded augmented reality senses. He had long considered those things annoyances, but with their removal, he felt very out of sorts.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

You walk down the apparently deserted street, alert for danger. The houses seem devoid of life, some boarded up, others merely empty.

Less than a hundred feet from the town's edge, you come to a crossroad. Through the mist you see an overturned cart in the middle of a crossroad.

Approaching closer, you notice humanoid figures behind the cart and others to either side. They move with a shambling walk, clearly not alive.

Spoiler
    Show

There are two zombies and two walking corpses. Knowledge (religion) could reveal more.

Fog gives concealment (20% miss chance) to targets >15 feet away.

Initiative order is:
    1. T'riss
    2. Isaac
    3. Arya
    4. Arthros
    5. August
    6. Baddies
    7. Aswin

Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-05-05 at 07:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Posting now, but assume it happens after Triss and Isaac do whatever.

Arya sees the monstrous corpses reanimated by some foul sorcery, but she does not baulk.
    "Fear not," she states calmly to the others. "I have fought all manner of abominations and I have defeated them. These shall not overcome us."

Suddenly she feels the world shift around, slowing yet allowing her to retain her natural speed, she briefly glanced to the professor who seemed to have done this, and nods quickly before moving.

She moves ahead [to G13] stepping in front of Aswin, simultaneously drawing her greatsword Nehima. Some kind of magical fire wreathes the blade, whilst a crystal embedded in the pommel glints, ready to grant final death to these restless souls.

She then readies a standard action to perform Sapphire Nightmare Blade should a creature come within reach.
    Last edited by al'Lan Mandrag; 2012-05-05 at 08:16 PM.