New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

"Aha! This must be the path forward. Or down, I suppose." August kneels down to pull open the door; that failing, he raps heavily on the wood and calls down below. "Is anyone within? The house is safe, for the moment."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

The trapdoor is old and warped, but not locked, and after a few sharp tugs it opens with an unpleasant squeaking sound. The air below the ground is cold, as one might expect of a root cellar, and there is no light or sound from below.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Tucking the orb back into its twist of cloth - his own night sight would be more than sufficient for exploration - August begins descending the ladder into the darkness, his form slowly fading from view as his ring's magic takes hold. "I shall be but a moment - if there is aught to be found, you will know."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

As you drop down, you realize that the basement is, in fact, a root cellar. It is large, but probably not excessively so for a large family. Not being able to see in color you can't be certain, but there seems to be a healthy mix of winter squash, rutabagas, carrots, potatoes, and various other tubers.

There doesn't seem to be anyone below, though you do see a steep staircase leading up to a trap door on the other side of the cellar. You imagine it likely leads to the one you saw outside the house.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

After a thorough look around, August returns to the surface. "There appears to be naught that would justify the shades' attention below, although there is a goodly amount of food. If we could acquire a cart or some other method of transport, this bounty would be appreciated by the survivors at the inn."

"Was there anything to be found on the second floor? I am yet curious as to why Nicolae saw this house so frequented. If we can find nothing, however, we ought to complete our task and bring him to the others."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #456
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

The professor shakes his head. "Nothing that I could find of import. There was a child's room, a few toys and garments. Look for yourself, but nothing there strikes me as something the undead horde would be after. We did find that bow though. I suspect it'll be useful as, at the rate we're going, we'll be inundated by werewolves soon enough." His voice is edged with sarcasm, but even that does little to break the somewhat droning sound of the professor's words.

7. - Top - End - #457

Griffon

Perhaps it is only that this place was empty enough for the undead to use? Is it possible the curse originated from here? If the curse started here, it would explain the frequency of visitors?

T'riss asks. But if there is nothing more to be found, we should collect Master Nicolae and return him.
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2012-08-13 at 08:37 AM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

"From the knowledge I gathered last night, I am certain the origin of the curse is somehow tied to the church. I think the day's explorations will reveal much in that regard."

Returning outside, August takes a quick look around to ensure no more shades lie in ambush, then knocks on Nicolae's door. "Good day! The streets are clear enough for us to return to the inn; shall we be on our way?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Arya nods at August's suggestion, loathe to stand around chatting.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

From inside you hear a crash and a yelp, then a groan.

"I'm alright, friend August," the old man inside calls. "I was dosing and you startled me. Let me get a couple things." There's a sound of opening doors and cabinets as Nicolae does do. "Were Gyorgy and Diana able to escape or lock themselves in their cellar? I don't suppose so."

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

"Your neighbours?" August replies. "Unless they had hidden themselves very well, I do not think so. We found naught but shades in the place, although the cellar seemed undisturbed."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #462

Kobold

"I found evidence that a child lived there upstairs. We found no creatures that resembled an adolescent, and so I suspect that the child may have escaped via the cellar door leading outside this place. I fret that one's lifespan seems severely limited outdoors in these conditions, however."

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Arya chuckles, an odd noise between a human one and a contented purr. "This sage has the right of it. We should be gone now for they seem almost numberless."

14. - Top - End - #464

Griffon

T'riss follows the others to Nicolae's, her guard still up.

"I agree, we should return to the others. Though the evil seems stronger at night, it is clear they can fight in the day if required."

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

"Come to think of that, none of the zombies had the body of a child, did they? Quite curious... In any case, once we banish this plight we will have to search for survivors. Reunite families, honor the dead... There is much to do."

Spoiler
    Show
    Drifa has Scent; you might've missed it. Did she perhaps pick up a recent trail of something still living?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

16. - Top - End - #466

Kobold

Isaac gestures to the mortal-wounded man. "You bring up a good point, and it is something that I've been considering. This plague reanimates the dead...so why have we seen no children under its influence? Mayhaps the disease affects them differently, merely killing children outright. Or, perhaps their weaker physical nature means that any children infected have already been commited to the grave once more."

The old man breathes a sigh, shaking his head. "Every moment in this place seems to raise more questions, with few answers forthcoming. Regardless, let us not tarry here. We should hurry back to the inn, and then continue our exploration while we can."

Professor Pellivander begins to limp after his comrades.
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2012-08-15 at 02:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

With a clattering of an oak bar and the scraping of deadbolts, the door opens and Nicolae appears. He looks to be middle-aged, though the joints of his hands are prematurely knobbly and rheumatic and his eyes betray his weariness and fear. He carries a small satchel across one shoulder and leans slightly on an old staff.

Nicolae's eyes dart left and right. "I suppose we should be moving, then. Thank you all."

The return to the village square is almost entirely uneventful. A lone shambling corpse tries to attack, but you bring it down almost instantly, and a few of the giant rodents—these particular ones still alive—appear but scurry off upon catching sight of Drifa.

TFO:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing recent, no.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Carefully climbing over the barricade, August hails Ashlyn with a wave. "We have returned, and our task is complete. The Burgomaster's daughter elected to remain at home, but Nicolae has joined us in the sanctuary."

"Shall we go investigate the church? The shades seem quiescent during the day, and we felled another of their leaders while we were out; I think the townsfolk should be safe while we proceed."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-08-16 at 10:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

That sounds most beneficial, Arya agress, and strides forwards ready to get to grips with her foes.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Ashlyn blinks before responding. "'Tis good news, Master August. I will retrieve my equipment and return erelong."

She hustles into the inn and returns, indeed, erelong, with her shield slung over her back and her sword and crossbow on her hip. "I am ready to seek my companions and, Soli volente, end the terrific threat to this land."

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

"Then let us proceed. I will speak to the elder trees when we arrive, and see if the man I encountered last night is yet present, and Aswin, you may make your devotions." Following his own suggestion, August heads for the other side of the square, although it is clear he is ill-suited to climbing as he makes his way back out into the fallen town.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you, wise August. Perhaps the peace and wisdom of an elder tree will give the answers I seek. This place... The only familiar thing I encountered yet was the heat of battle. But an oak is an oak, no matter which realm we are in, and through it my mind and flesh should be able to touch Thor." He elects to walk most of the way to their destination to go easy on Drifa, giving a wide smile to Lady Ashlyn. "It will be a pleasure to once again do battle alongside you. The way you stood unmoving against the tide, it reminded me of..." His smile fades, and his look becomes grim. "My own death", he finishes in a whisper.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Ashlyn nods and mounts the barricade with only minor difficulty. Once over it, she stands alert, gauntlet on sword, while you join her.

The fog has grown even thicker as the day passed. The sun is obscured and more than once you are provoked to draw weapons only to realize that the threatening figures you saw were merely the swirling mists. Despite this, you reach the church grounds uneventfully. The cross-street where August overheard the cannibalistic voices and saw the unfortunate horse being devoured is now abandoned—and the poor beast stripped to bones—and if there are roving packs of undead, they cannot see you any more than you can see them.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

"Come, let us visit the elders," August says to Aswin, indicating the two old and weathered trees beside the church. "We shall be but a short while."

Placing a hand on the bark of the tree he spoke with the previous evening, August first bends the thumb of the oaken hand inward, releasing a wave of life energy that is much more visible outdoors than in the tavern, brushing faint motes of light from every blade of grass and rustling leaf within half a mile. That done, he folds the little finger, once more speaking to the tree in its own language of rustles and sighs.

"<Wise elder, I have returned with the blessing as promised. So that we might seek the truth without fear, tell me, please: has anyone but myself left the church since I departed last night?>"

Spoiler
    Show
    Plant Growth (enrichment), Speak with Plants.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Sallera
    Spoiler
    Show
    You sense flickers of movement, much as the previous night. One figure leaves the church, and some time later, you gather, four return. You aren't able to determine what they are, but they don't shamble like the shades that have predominated in the attacks you've seen thus far.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

"<Thank you for your wisdom.>" Breaking the connection with the elder, August steps back to allow Aswin to complete his devotions. "It seems there are at least four dwelling within who walk not like the shades, and they have commerce with the town or its surroundings. We must be ready to face more than shades below. Indeed, it is possible the shades no longer dwell here after their creation."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Nodding his thanks to August, Aswin kneeled down in front of the oak. Outwardly it looked like a gesture of submission more than it was; kneeling brought him closer to the roots, the silent and hidden keeper of life without all would wither and die.
    "Gods of Asgard, hear my calling", he spoke silently. "Allfather, thunderer and ye all, I ask you to grant me and my companions strength and valor in battle, but above all I ask you to lift the veil from my eyes and mind, let me see the truth of this place and myself. I died, and came to a realm I don't understand. If you have a task of me before I'm to join my friends and ancestors in your hallowed halls... I will cleanse this place from its plague, protect the innocent and help them to live free and well. For no matter where on the nine I am, the way you taught me never leaves."
    He made a small cut on his left palm, letting his life blood weep on the ground. "From my will, my heart to the earth, to join the soil. Accept this offering of crimson and show me the path."
    He scooped up a bit of earth, inhaling the rich smell. Standing up, he drew a brown line down between Drifa's eyes from forehead to nose, then did the same on himself.

"I'm ready", he said, his prayer complete. "Let us end this menace."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-08-19 at 02:50 PM.

28. - Top - End - #478

Griffon

T'riss watches curiously as Aswin and August appear to talk to the trees. As the fog continues to slither around them, she waits patiently; her own thoughts wavering between frustration at the seemingly unending undead, admiration for the battle prowess of the others and the occasional "Where in the abyss did I end up."

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

The church is no less eerie in the palely lit mists than it was in the night. Its sagging structure is even more apparent, and you can tell that its facade and roof need repair. The steps are well worn, however, indicating that its poor state of repair is less likely due to its parishioners' apathy than to poverty. The door is shut and if the man August saw the previous night remains, he is not weeping and moaning as before, for the building is utterly silent.

Arthros bows his head momentarily and a wave of bolstering energy travels through each of your bodies. Your spines straighten and you feel alert and ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arthros casts mass conviction (+3 to all saving throws)

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

"Then we shall begin." Brushing the raven's wing, August surrounds himself with a short-lived mantle of broken possibilities, and pushes open the door, doing so as quietly as possible despite his even, assured manner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Caul of Shadow, just in case.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei