New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

Not my... Realm? Clouds transporting people? What sort of madness is this?

Komori's sheaths her blade, however, as the warriors speaking seem to wish an end to combat. As each of the three speak, he waits for their words. When they're done, she pauses for a few moments, before speaking again.

She takes an appraising look at Arya, and nods. Her words pay homage to Bushido... But a true samurai serves a master. Who does this one serve?

She turns to August, and when she speaks, she is somewhat less guarded. "In my lands, only two groups have ever controlled what you speak of. The Phoenix clan is the first to harness the magic of the void, and they don't share much of it with others. Servants of the Lying Darkness are the second. I am not terribly learned in it, save that it is a cowardly, fearful, lustful being that seeks to unmake all of creation. I truly hope that you do not call upon the latter.

Of this Strahd... Have you been tasked by this Lord to protect the village? Are you his vassals, that you should be shielding villagers that serve, protect, and strengthen him?
    "

She then turns to Aswin, as he knits the wounds of his comrade, and observes for a moment. This one doesn't twist the Kami, at least. Corrupted spirits would not be able to accomplish this. And, if there is to be no fight this moment, then I should learn what I can, so that when I return, I may give an accounting to the Crab.

"I will accompany you to your outpost. From there, we may discuss this further. In the meanwhile, the least I may offer for your assistance with that oni is to mend what has been torn. We may talk as we continue, unless our voices would draw unwanted attention."

With that, any who seem injured, Komori will head over to August, and assess his injuries, moving to Aswin next, then Isaac, then Arya, and finally T'riss.

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Komori will attempt heal checks on each member she looks at. The heal checks are to assess the taint within each, the injury of each as well, and inspect for any signs of blood magic (scars that look to be from self-inflicted wounds).

Provided she detects no blood magic use, she will heal that member of the group, based on the injury level of the person.

Heal check on August (taint): (1d20+13)[31]
    Heal check on August (injury): (1d20+13)[20]
    Heal check on August (blood magic): (1d20+13)[27]
    Cure Serious Wounds on August (provided he's at 17/41): (3d8+6)[25]

Heal check on Aswin (taint): (1d20+13)[28]
    Heal check on Aswin (injury): (1d20+13)[30]
    Heal check on Aswin (blood magic): (1d20+13)[33]
    Cure Serious Wounds on Aswin (provided he's at 12/65): (3d8+6)[18]
    Cure Serious Wounds on Aswin (provided he's at 12/65): (3d8+6)[21]
    Cure Light Wounds on Aswin (provided he's at 12/65): (1d8+5)[6]

Heal check on Isaac (taint): (1d20+13)[14]
    Heal check on Isaac (injury): (1d20+13)[28]
    Heal check on Isaac (blood magic): (1d20+13)[14]
    Cure Minor Wounds on Isaac (provided he's at 24/25): heal 1 hp.

Heal check on Arya (taint): (1d20+13)[20]
    Heal check on Arya (injury): (1d20+13)[19]
    Heal check on Arya (blood magic): (1d20+13)[23]
    Cure Light Wounds on Arya (provided she's at 55/79): (1d8+5)[12]
    Cure Light Wounds on Arya (provided she's at 55/79): (1d8+5)[11]
    Cure Minor Wounds on Arya (provided she's at 55/79): heal 1 hp.

Heal check on Triss (taint): (1d20+13)[19]
    Heal check on Triss (injury): (1d20+13)[14]
    Heal check on Triss (blood magic): (1d20+13)[32]
    Provided Triss is at 42/42, no healing performed.

Note: All healing is based on the Current/Maximum listed on your individual character sheets. By averages, it should fully recover all party members, however, some may be just a bit low due to rolls. If it's 1 hp low, assume a cure minor. If it's more than 5 low, use another Cure Light Wounds.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-11-07 at 12:57 PM.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

"Ah, my thanks, Komori; you are a skilled healer." Rather more cheerful now that he no longer feels half-missing, August returns to answering questions. "I suspect my path is closer to the Phoenix you speak of. I was taught the art only to ease my quest."

"'Twas the town's elder who asked us for help, although he had died before we arrived. We have not yet met Strahd; I, at least, am vassal to none. My mentor in the balance is the one whose commands I obey."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #633
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Isaac is still looking in rather poor shape, even as he gets a hand up, and some attention from Aswin and this newcomers. His bony fingers grasp at Triss' forearm, using the drow for support. The old man shakes, the corners of his eyes flush with teardrops, hammering home once again that he is out of sorts in this place; the old man was no adventurer.

"Thank you." He whispers hoarsely, clearing his throat, and wiping his face on his sleeve quickly, trying to regain some composure as he looks from Triss, to Aswin, then, finally, to this Komori. He wasn't well versed in history...but this woman looked like she was right out of an eastern movie.

"Come, we should make our way back to the inn. I can elucidate on the way." He clambers onto Drifa back with some neccessary aid, and begins to offer as much explanation as he can muster.

"From what I can deduce, we have all been brought here from different times, and, indeed, different -existences-. Proof enough of the multiverse theory, I suppose. The force that has done so seems to have an intellect behind it, and thus I suspect it is not merely random happenstance. This place on which we lay now is a dark one; undead have risen from the ground, and from the evidence we've gathered, it appears to be a disease, transmitted via bite. Whether magical or mundane, I cannot yet say. Lord Strahd is the ruler of this place, and as far as we can measure, a despot. He seems to garner some ill feelings from those around town, and I surmise that the frightful conditions here are at least somewhat his responsibility."

He takes a steadying breath, as Vesper, the floating crystal-spired sphere, begins to prattle on about their newest find, going on in that radio announcer voice how this appears to be an "Eastern alteration of the famed Belt of Growth." and how it allows you to "Walk among the giants.", if only for a limited time, of course.

Of course, at this point Vesper's announcements might be more relevant than Isaac's, as the professor descends into a pedantic lecture about multiverse theory, temporal dissonance, and how to contain infectious disease outbreaks.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Komori keeps her expression neutral at August's compliment, responding with only a demure nod and a shallow bow.

This one is incredibly forward! To assume we are trusted comrades so soon after meeting!

Then Isaac speaks, and Komori scolds herself. Their ways are not mine. I am not in civilized lands any longer. I cannot expect savages to behave as men. But they are effective brutes... They will serve my cause well, even if they are ignorant of the nature of their foe.

After Isaac speaks his peace, Komori's jaw sets. " Normally, I would never interfere with a ruler's authority to govern his people. However, if this Strahd is responsible for the dead rising, then we must kill him."

5. - Top - End - #635

Griffon

T'riss looked over the giant wolf as she keeps a protective hand near Isaac.

"I think that's the first thing you've said that I can agree with. Though I do thank you for the healing." She gives a slight bow towards her.

Elistrae's Light, another one who's more worried about honor and law than what is right. How in the Realms did I end up surrounded by an entire cohort of Purple Dragon Knights and not one of them actually from Cormyr!

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Komori couldn't quite suppress a frown at T'riss's backhanded comment... But makes no further notice of it... Or T'rissaste, for that matter.

When she speaks again, it is to August. "Forgive my oversight. You asked about enlisting the Kami's aid but the kami have already lent us their assistance. If you wish to give thanks for your recovery, thank the kami. I was not the one who mended your wounds. I merely spoke to the kami, and requested they guide your body to find balance. They chose to do so, and I thanked them for showing you their favor." Komori shrugged, downplaying her role in the matter.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, so they are spirits! I see. But then, if you speak to the spirits, perhaps you would know something of these?" Taking a pair of silver bells from a pocket, August hands them to Komori.

"I found them near what we think the source of this curse; they are a spirit-beckoning charm, this much I recognize from my homeland, but I do not know such magic. I merely saw them used once. Are you familiar with their tradition?"
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-11-08 at 11:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

8. - Top - End - #638

Kobold

The professor smiles warmly down at Triss from his perch atop the wolf, glad to be off his feet. One hand moves and gestures very slightly in the air before him, as if putting chalk to unseen board, though his attention is given to the drow.

"Your aid is much appreciated dear; this day has been hellish indeed. I'm afraid I'm not quite as seasoned as yourself in these affairs. How do you remain so brave in the face of such terribleness?"

In truth, the elf evoked feelings of nostalgia in the old man, for one he knew long ago. The small hint of the familiar was enough to instill him with calm.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Komori looks more than a little hesitant at the sight of the bells. "The kami come and go as they please. There is no need to beckon them; they are always here. I... do not understand the purpose of beckoning something that is already here, so I do not think that this is to summon the kami. There are spirits other than the kami in my land, but if you are truly fortunate, such things are merely mischievous. For those foolish enough to call what they do not understand, most die to the very thing they called." At that, Komori shakes her head. "No. I could not counsel you wisely in this, so the wisest council I can offer is to leave them be."

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

A world once more unlike our own. Always different.

Arya watched both the rest of the group as they discussed spirits and magecraft whilst keeping a wary eye on their surroundings. She would make her own hypotheses concerning these spirits, and who had brought them together.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #641

Griffon

T'riss shrugs away the professor's thanks.

Then she frowns as his words penetrate her thoughts like a lance.

"I don't think I am brave, she said quietly, "merely practical. Lloth is a harsh goddess and she challenges all of us to excel, nay...exceed in adversity. Until I found Elistrae's Light, I didn't know there was such a thing as doing something for someone because it was right. In my land, if one does something for another it is with the expectation of something...some payment in return."

She pauses and her eyes dim for a moment. "I had...had a..a friend who showed me that there was more to life..." her voice drops off for a moment.

Then she shrugs again, "But I suppose having been raised in such an environment...this is simply a test. More hellish than ones I've faced before. This land is filled with Darkness; Elistrae commands us to bring the light to all. So while things are unfamiliar and strange, the moon still shines and magic still works. As long as that continues, I will trust Elistrae's commands."

She brightened and patted Drifa, with smile, she said "Besides, in my land, if you manage to live to the age you are, old one, than you have gained much in wisdom and knowledge. It is could to have you with us."

12. - Top - End - #642

Kobold

The professor lets out a very British chuckle. "Respect for your elders; a most endearing quality." He lets out a happy sigh.

"I must say I feel somewhat out of sorts, surrounded by those dedicated to championing the cause of the divine. Such belief has largely left my own world; the closest thing we have to gods are the dragons, and even they have been bested by the most cunning."

He looks around, his eyes slipping over each companion, and lingering for a moment on their newest, before returning to Triss.

"When we return to the inn, and regain our strength, I think it is even more imperative we seek out a library. This place is strange to us all, and we have continued to hasten into battles blindly. Knowledge is a sharper blade than any other we have, and it would do us well to wield it."

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Komori raises an eyebrow at Isaac's suggestion. Perhaps this one is more akin to the shugenja of the Phoenix. If so, then it ezplains his presence in battle... And his cloistered mentality.

"A wise sentiment, to be sure... Though books are only useful where lore is gathered. Perhaps seeking council from the survivors in this place would serve us better. This place has not the look of a storehouse of wisdom. It reminds me more of a gathering of peasants."

14. - Top - End - #644

Griffon

"Mmmmm." T'riss notes. "Both options have merit. Though Lady Ashlyn has given us much knowledge of this area perhaps there are others who advice may offer value as well.

Perhaps this is another time to divide and conquer, some of us can search out written lore, while others speak to the townsfolks and see if more information can be garnered."

Glancing down at her gore stained gear, she grimaces, "Though I don't know about the rest of you but I already feel the need for a bath and a decent meal. Whatever this place is, it wears on you."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time check, please?
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2012-11-09 at 02:10 PM.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

As you approach the town's square you realize that the northernmost barricade has suffered considerable damage in the time you've been gone, enough that undead could easily enter to attack the villagers within. You hear, though, no sounds of battle; the square is silent and apparently deserted.

As the silence's implications dawn on her, Ashlyn's face takes on an unhealthy pallor of fright and righteous anger and she draws her sword.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

August's hand twitches, and as he breathes out, the flickering, half-seen field of broken potential surrounds him once more. "Ill fortune follows these people even now, it seems. But there is no value to be found in hesitance at such a time." Striding across the square, he heads straight for the inn door, seeking knowledge of those within.

Spoiler
    Show
    Extended Caul of Shadows. Oh, and renew Steel Shadows as well, if it expired at some point.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-11-10 at 08:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

17. - Top - End - #647

Kobold

Isaac seems preoccupied with his mental blackboard...until Ashlyn draws her sword. The professor looks around, deep lines creasing his face in a frown. He hikes his leg over the side of Drifa, falling to his feet with an awkward stumble as he dismounts the wolf, picking his cane up, and hobbling forward.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Komori looks at the barricades, sighing and shaking her head. She's about to open her mouth, to scoff at the pathetic nature of the defenses, when she notices Ashlyn draw her blade. The look on Ashlyn's face is all she needs to know that something is amiss here. The palatine's worried expression tells Komori that this place is the aftermath of a battle, and her purposeful stride suggests that perhaps the assailants remain.

Komori speaks, just loud enough that she's sure she's heard... "Be wary! Whoever did this may be laying in wait!"

With that, she falls in, just ahead of Isaac, murmuring to the kami, in case destiny required that she call upon them again.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

"Odin's eye!" Aswin cursed. "I should have left Drifa behind to guard this place." He belatedly realized what effect his words might have on Ashlyn, who assured the barricade would hold when he voiced his wish of leaving a guard behind, but there were more pressing matters. He quickly strode through the breach, hammer at the ready and Drifa on his heels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

20. - Top - End - #650

Griffon

T'riss growled low under her breath.

She drew her hand crossbow and loaded one of Ashlyn's special arrows in it. In her other hand, she drew the sickle.

She looked carefully around the area as they approached.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot
    (1d20+11)[24]

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Arya darted forwards too, parting from the others so they could spread out and cover the square. She had her blade in hand, ready for any creature that might yet lurk.

"Be wary," she warned, unnecessarily perhaps, but sometimes it was worth reminding humans.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

As you near the inn you see several bodies—mercifully all inanimate—strewn outside the inn door, some clearly long-dead and others more recently departed, though none you recognize from the villagers staying in the inn. Through the dissipating mist you can tell that some lay outside of Bildrath's door as well. The door to the inn is battered but not terribly damaged.

From one of the windows on the second floor you hear a shout: "Lady Ashlyn! Are you alive?" The voice is tinged with fear, but its owner seems more bewildered than anything else. When you look up you can see a loaded crossbow pointed at August, but the man holding it isn't visible.

"Yea, Master Konrad, we yet live. What wanion befell thee and the others whilst we attended to the chapel?" replies the paladin.

Konrad hesitates for a moment; you can almost imagine him biting his lower lip as he thinks of how to answer. "Ismark can tell you once you come in. But we're not opening the door until we know that you are truly alive."
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

23. - Top - End - #653

Kobold

"Blithering idiot..." The professor grumbles softly, hobbling forward with characteristic crotchety demeanor. ""Do you need to borrow my spectacles? Of course we're alive. Do we sound like the groaning infected? We have lost a friend this day, not to mention spirit and strength. Let us in this instant!"

His impatience for the ignorance of the townsfolk is palpable, and he once more advertises a simple fact: Isaac was an academic elitist; not an ambassador.

Spoiler
    Show
    Set Trigger: Delay
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isaac will respond to a fired weapon with an unaugmented Delay as an immediate action.
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2012-11-12 at 02:31 AM.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

"Alive, you say?" Aswin made a small cut on his palm, letting the blood drip to the ground. "That good enough for you? You can come down and feel my heartbeat too if you want."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Komori nods slightly with approval of Konrad's diligence, difficult as it may be. "A sensible precaution. What may we do to demonstrate this to you? We are willing to satisfy your vigilance, but please, do not tarry. As long as we are out here, we serve as bait to lure more of these things to your walls."

26. - Top - End - #656

Griffon

T'riss nods toward the bleeding Aswin, "And how do you propose to determine that? We bleed, we hunger...for real food that is,, and we are, as you can see, a bit irritable. So...."

As she speaks, she sheaths her rapier but still keeps the crossbow loaded and ready.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Arya doesn't bother to appease the fool. She can clearly see they live: why should it not be obvious to him? She continues to look around to discern the cause of this unease.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, 'tis true through mist in times of trial that shade and quick may look alike, but the dead cannot bloom." With a flourish, August clasps hands with the one of oak hanging from his neck, and with a creak of wood and the fragrance of wet leaves, he stretches upward, his form blurring and seeming to... sprout, until only a tree stands where he had been.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tree Shape.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

Konrad is again silent for a moment, though whether it is in consideration or shock at August's transformation is not clear. "The rest of you," he says eventually, "bleed for me, like the giant did."

30. - Top - End - #660

Griffon

"Oh Blessed Eilistraee." T'riss grumbles as she puts away her crossbow and draws a dagger. Slices her palm, she holds it up so the man can see the barest trickle of red.