Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    stack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    Arthros studies the wound. "The venom is persistent and foul. Still, I ought be able to right it. Hold still, this will tingle." A blue light issues from his finger as he draws a circle around the wound. Black venom is drawn out into the lingering nimbus.

    Spoiler
    Show
    remove poison SLA
    Check out these DSP projects:
    Akashic Mysteries (Incarnum-esque)
    Channeling Unleashed
    (I am not affiliated with either, just trying to get them more exposure.)

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    T'riss nods when August volunteers to take over leading.

    "My eyes see well enough in the dark, but I myself would still be visible." She glances up at the sky. "Darkness is both friend and enemy. Would we be wise to travel in the dark or should we seek a place of shelter?"

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    At August's words Aswin looks genuinely but pleasantly surprised. "Took the eyes of a giant? An impressive feat, and useful; some of the giantkind hold knowledge and wisdom unknown to man. Odin himself didn't claim Mimir's head for naught.
    Anyway, let's press on to either find the survivors or slay more of these abominations so they won't prey on those weaker than us."


    Spoiler
    Show
    at 48 of 65 HP
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    stack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    "Delay may cost the lives of any survivors left. I say press on. I have sufficient strength to keep us intact for some time yet." He nods down the road, toward where he hopes the center of town is. A tap of his staff on the ground marks his resolution.
    Last edited by stack; 2012-05-17 at 07:09 AM.
    Check out these DSP projects:
    Akashic Mysteries (Incarnum-esque)
    Channeling Unleashed
    (I am not affiliated with either, just trying to get them more exposure.)

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    Very well.

    T'riss nods and steps behind August reading her weapons for more attacks and watching through the darkness for signs of movement.


    Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: rolls for spot/listen in OOC thread)

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    August nods, indicating the liquid gold of his irises. "Indeed, I inherited his power. Lacking a giant's strength, I can draw on the eyes for but a few seconds each day, but when I do, I see all things as they truly are, as he once did."

    "I know not whence these shades arose," he replies to Isaac, "but the few times I have seen similar haunts, they were either the result of a witch's curse, or returned on their own out of regrets or fury."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-05-17 at 09:57 AM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    Arya Skye, Catfolk Knight

    "It is a dark magic for certain. Oft used by those who see the only way to power through desecrating the dead. They are wrong, and we will have to show them their error." Arya speaks with a sombre finality, wearily guarding their rear.

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    @Fireheart
    Spoiler
    Show
    Through the fog you hear a woman shout. A moment later you hear it again, and this time it is clear that it's not the scream of a victim, but the sort of shout one might hear from a warrior, or perhaps of someone in a tavern brawl. You don't, however, hear any of the other sounds one might expect of a battle: the clanging of metal on metal or the dull thunk of a sword hitting a wooden shield.


    @Mahrke
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man is wearing pendant in the shape of a maple leaf, made of beautifully wrought silver; other than that he does not appear to have anything of valuable. In his pants pocket you find a sort of leather billfold, which contains notes and bills of order. From these you are able to glean that he is a carpenter named Viktor Litmunova, who lived in the town.


    @All
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since you all don't have an easy means of casting Identify and having to pay to identify loot is irritating (and there aren't many casters in Boravia to pay, unless you want to visit the Count) I'm going to handwave it: Vesper's scanners allow it to determine the magical properties of most magic items. The pendant Viktor wore is a pendant of good health, and once per day removes a disease from the wearer. It does this automatically and instantaneously, so if you fail a save against a disease it effectively prevents you from contracting it.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-05-17 at 10:56 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    The aging professor kneels beside the corpse of the man that the maggots had been gnawing at, examing the humanoid form closely, and comparing it mentally to the zombies that had attacked them. He prods at it with the tip of his cane, pushing his coat to the side, and then leaning forward to pull out his wallet. He goes through it with a frown.

    "Rest in peace, Viktor." The old man goes quiet, taking a moment of silence that is quickly broken by the floating device nearby.

    "Supernatural Anomaly Detection!" Spouts the A.I., metallic voice making the professor flinch. He looks at Vesper, scowling. "You don't say! And here I thought being whisked off to another world and attacked by zombies was just a normal day in the lab." A blueish beam projects from one ofr the points on the device, in the shape of a two-dimensional cone. It passes over the body before them, from toe to head, and then back the other direction, shutting off as soon as it has passed over the curious amulet the corpse wears.

    "Searching known anomalies. Found: Pendant of Good Health." At this, Vesper's tone changes completely, now sounding like a young male radio host spouting off a rehearsed commercial "This pendant is imbued with spirit magic that offers protection from illness. Its magic works only once every twenty-four hours, so don't go too crazy with those cherry girls at the neon bar."Isaac seems wholly irritated by the little display, but gingerly pulls the item off the man, holding it aloft, the charm rotating to and fro in the breeze, sparkling in the faint light.

    "Well, chaps. It seems Mr. Litmunova had taken precautions against disease...and this is evidence that supports the theory I've been building silently. I believe these 'zombies' are caused by some sort of disease. Notice that Viktor here..." He gestures to the corpse with his cane. "Is still human, and has not risen. I believe this pendant protected him from the pathogens that pass on this disease. It also raises a chilling conclusion, if my assumptions are true. We have all been exposed. Indeed, even if it is only passed through blood, I believe a few of our number have been...bitten..." He looks around gravely.
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2012-05-17 at 11:29 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    @Mahrke
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, you posted before I could put in the Knowledge results.

    You're familiar with the corps cadavre of Haiti, though the fluid, if plodding movements of these corpses rule that possibility out. Shedim are spirits that can possess the bodies of the dead, but you can find no reference to such a large congregation of them, and they do not attack the living in such a manner. They match--to some degree--the zombies of popular culture, but you can't find reference to any known pathogen that causes this particular constellation of symptoms.

    That said, there is no shortage of diseases that can have similar symptoms. Rabies, most notably, can cause drastic behavioral changes, but others exist, including toxoplasmosis. Other diseases, such as necrotizing fasciitis can cause tissue to die while the organism yet lives, and numerous neuropathies (among them Hansen's disease, i.e. leprosy) can cause an organism to be unaware of injuries that lead to tissue death.

    Most disturbingly similar are certain parasites that feed on their hosts' bodies, except for the organs required for short term survival and mobility, while controlling their nervous systems to further their own propagation. These can include fungi, viruses, bacteria, protozoa, and animals. They are mostly known to affect arthropods, which have simpler nervous systems, but cases affecting vertebrates exist and it is not at all inconceivable that one might become zoonotic.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Can ya' tell I love parasitology?

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    Arya Skye, Catfolk Knight

    Arya listens in horror. What malign devilry is this?

    "I have at least passed unscathed, but Arthros you must examine the others to see if you can detect anything. Further, that amulet cannot be particularly potent if it could not protect this poor man from this disease, perhaps it is cursed...
    An ironic and cruel trick if true. We must put an end to this."

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    stack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    "Protection from disease does not mean protection from zombies. Most diseases are purged readily enough, though I cannot say for certain in this place. Let me look you all over for any signs." Arthros stands from kneeling next to the body. I can at least look, though for truth it has hardly been necessary to diagnose when I could cure with a touch.

    Spoiler
    Show
    heal (1d20+3)[23] Triss
    (1d20+3)[8] Aswin
    (1d20+3)[5] August
    (1d20+3)[21] Professor
    (1d20+3)[23] Self
    (1d20+3)[4] properties of disease
    Last edited by stack; 2012-05-18 at 07:10 AM.
    Check out these DSP projects:
    Akashic Mysteries (Incarnum-esque)
    Channeling Unleashed
    (I am not affiliated with either, just trying to get them more exposure.)

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    "Surely such a minor wound could not suffice to turn one into a shade..." August appears disbelieving, and the energy of dissolution around his hand vanishes as he waves away Arthros's attentions. "At any rate, they have not touched me. We must hurry on and bring this chapter to a close; there will be time enough to seek out the one responsible afterward."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    "There are creatures that can afflict you with deadly disease, even when delivering only the lightest scratch", Aswin said.
    "Though disease isn't the best way to describe these things, it's more akin to a curse, intoning the vilest of magics. But while these things here", he continued, pointing at the crushed zombies "may or may not deliver disease, it is not disease that made them what they are. For they were truly dead even before we crushed them, and sickness kills the body, but doesn't animate a perished one. And neither are they vengeful spirits returned to correct past slights or regrets, dear August, for they had no mind of their own. Whenever I struck them down, they stood up time and again, heedless of the danger. These things were created, and they don't act like a conscious person, but like a thing. As an arrow bends the same way whenever you apply force the same way, so do they act mechanically without conscious decision. All their actions have been dictaded by he who created them, and it is him we must find and strike down."
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    "Then we have all the more reason to seek out those who still live," August says, returning to the vanguard. "If some witch bore a grudge strong enough to compel the laying of a curse upon this whole town, no doubt someone will remain who knows why, and perhaps even where this creator may be found."

    "Be they people or things, we were called upon to halt their depredations. If we cannot cut off the head and lay them all to rest in a single blow, we shall turn them to dust one by one."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    "Regardless of whether my hypothesis proves correct, I think we would do well to at least remain cognizant of the possibility. Here..." He offers the amulet for the taking. "One of you brave warriors that has waded into melee with these monstrosities should don this as a precaution." His gaze shifts to Trissaste. "Perhaps you, good elf? You've had a dangerous trek thus far."

    With the amulet given, the professor looks further into the fog, frowning, lost in his own thoughts. His companions seemed to suspect some sort of magic at play...indeed, the nordic warrior spoke of the creature not maintaining any semblence of sentience or thought...but the professor had seen first hand how easily the brain could be hijacked...how easily a man could be turned into a monster with the right changes to a handful of neural pathways.
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2012-05-18 at 10:46 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    She glances at Arya and August. "You as well have fought yet been less wounded than I. If neither of you object, I will take the amulet."

    If neither Arya or August object, T'riss will take the amulet with a nod and place it on. "Perhaps it will bring me more luck than its former owner."

    Suddenly, she gestures them to be silent a moment.

    "I heard a shout. Like that of battle. We should go."

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    Arya Skye, Catfolk Knight

    Arya nodded to Triss, acceding to her right to wear the talisman, "Bear it, and bear it well, I hope it keeps you safe from harm." She only just finished speaking when Triss suddenly focussed on something else, drawn by sounds ahead.

    "Let us investigate this then", Arya suggested, but stayed near the back, partially frustrated by her role as rear guard, but knowing she ought to put aside personal feelings to do her duty.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    The professor hobbles onward, following Trissaste towards the sound of conflict, stumbling over the occassional ill-set cobblestone; the fog was truly dense here.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    "Of course. I would not dream of denying it to you; that aside, I bear my own talisman already." August offers a slight bow, then returns to watching the road.

    "If battle it is, then that is where we wish to be. Lead on."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    As you head toward the shout, you finally get a glimpse of the town square. Blocking access to the square from the four streets that lead to it are barricades of crates, furniture, and what appear to be the remains of a few houses. One of them has been torn down, and the square is as full as one might expect it to be on market day, though not with the living.

    As near as you can tell, only one living person remains: a tall woman in plate armor. As you grow closer you can tell that her armor is decorated with a brilliant brazen sun which shines even through the gloaming fog. She carries a shield in one hand, and with the other she is striking with some desperation at the creatures who are near to surrounding you.

    She dares a glance toward the street and notices you, with some relief. "Hail, friends!" she calls. "Thou wouldst not be so unkind as to deny a knight your assistance, surely."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Alright; this is the correct map.


    Zs are zombies; D1 is a Deathlock (same as in the first battle); Pa is the knight.

    Everyone but Isaac and Aswin act before the undead and the knight.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-05-18 at 01:43 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    Arya Skye. Catfolk Knight

    She assessed the battlefield quickly, and saw their advantages: We must protect the weaker ones against their larger numbers here, so bottlenecking our foes is our best gambit.

    She yells out orders and she strides forewards, before burrying her balde in the face of the first foe she meets: "Aswin, forwards smite our foes and hold the barricades, Trissaste, August, support us, Isaac and Arthros stay back. We will hold them here!"

    "Warrior, get here whilst you can and we will fight them together."


    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to O9.
    Attack Z9
    Attack roll: (1d20+10)[14]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[11]
    Fire: (1d6)[1]
    Truedeath: (1d6)[6]

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    A few battles have done much to give confidence to the old man. It wasn't so different from the lab...not -really-. As they come upon the scene, his reaction is immediate, unleashing his power to grant their brave viking and himself the upperhand against the multitudes of foes.

    Trissaste, Aswin, Arya, and Drifa again feel the now-familiar rush of the professor's magic, quickening their movements.
    "Haste!"


    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Swiftness during Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cost: 3pp
    Target: Isaac
    Effect: Isaac moves up by 6 in the intiative count.

    Swift Action: Swiftness
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cost: 3pp
    Target: Aswin
    Effect: Aswin moves up by 6 in the initiative count.

    Standard Action: Haste
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cost: 6pp
    Augment: Mass x3
    Target: Aswin, Drifa, Trissaste, and Arya

    Last edited by Mahrke; 2012-05-18 at 02:18 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    stack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    Arthros holds back, waiting for his talents to be needed. More zombies...and the casters too. Dangerous.

    He calls to the woman, "Are you injured? Fall back to our position and I can mend you. Everyone else, remember to stay close to Aswin." There's enough of him, it shouldn't be difficult.

    Spoiler
    Show
    delay to after the baddies
    Check out these DSP projects:
    Akashic Mysteries (Incarnum-esque)
    Channeling Unleashed
    (I am not affiliated with either, just trying to get them more exposure.)

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    "We would deny our assistance to none who need it, in this dark place." August steps forward to the barricade, raising the orb of light high. "Stand this evening in the light..." With a smile, he waves his other hand in a gathering motion, and flings it outward to the corner of the square, and suddenly the darkness - or is it the mist itself? - seems to congeal, as though it has grown hands and a desire to suffocate.

    "...and walk not in the Shadow."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to P8, and channel a Clinging Darkness, centred at J11/K12, 20ft radius. Every creature within must save (not at my books, but I think it's Reflex) at DC17 or be immobilized. They can attempt another save as a full-round action, and it attempts to grab them again each round on August's turn.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    "She can't get to us, first we need to clear the path!" Without hesitation striding past the easily defensibly barricade, Aswin rode into the midst of the undead horde, Drifa trying to rip off the legs of one of the zombies blocking the woman's retreat. "Don't fear, I'll fall back to the barricade after the warrior maiden is safe." Summoning the cleansing power of Asgard, he collected it for a moment in his center, then with a booming word of power violently pushed it outward, commanding the vile creatures around him to flee.

    Spoiler
    Show
    ride to M7/N8

    Drifa bites Z5
    (1d20+15)[28] (1d8+12)[18] trip - (1d20+12)[26]

    Turn Undead
    Turning Check - (1d20+5)[15] up to 7 HD/creature
    Turning Damage - (2d6+9)[15]
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-05-18 at 02:58 PM.
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  27. - Top - End - #207
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    When Arya shouts instructions, T'riss looks around. Knowing that Aswin and Drifa would block most of the intersection, she moved to the side so Arya can move past her. She slides up behind the barricade and waves her hand in the air a trail of violet light appears behind her hand.

    Let's see if we can make finding these creatures a bit easier.


    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:

    Moves to Q10

    SLA: Fairie Fire:

    Centered on N10
    Should catch Z7,8,9

    Not damaging but should make them easier to see in the fog.

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex Saves vs clinging darkness (DC 17 or immobilized):
    Z2: (1d20+2)[13]
    Z3: (1d20+2)[21]
    Z4: (1d20+2)[3]
    Z7: (1d20+2)[20]
    Z8: (1d20+2)[16]
    D1: (1d20+3)[8]
    Pa: (1d20+5)[19]

    AoO on Aswin from Z9:
    Attack: (1d20+8)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[9]
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-05-18 at 10:31 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    Aswin's burst of divine energy makes some of the undead flinch, but only just. Drifa's more straightforward approach is more successful, and she trips one of the zombies as she bites off a chunk of its flesh. Despite her recent practice, she still recoils from the taste of the suppurating, maggoty flesh.

    Arya's attack is roughly deflected by the creature's supernaturally strong arms, but T'riss's and August's magical attacks provide some much needed aid to the hard-pressed knight, illuminating two zombies' outlines and trapping three others in place.

    The undead caster, almost identical to the ones you fought earlier, howls in rage as he is entangled by August's spell, but glances once at a point behind Aswin and Drifa. A large wolf appears there, reeking of sulfur and rotting flesh. It lunges at Aswin, trying to pull him out of the saddle.

    Suddenly, you hear a dull thud and the cracking of timbers: one of the zombies on the other side of the square is swinging its arms like a battering ram against the door there. The knight glances at it and, fear showing in her eyes, calls out: "Oh, Immortal Light! There are people in there!" She yanks a pendant off her neck and raises it high. It gleams with brilliant white light, and for an instant the square seems to be bathed in daylight, without a hint of fog. The two zombies closest to her recoil from her, and, their egress blocked by Drifa and Aswin, cower in fear. The knight then dashes to the door, ready to strike down the zombie at the door.

    The zombies crash against the wall of Aswin, Drifa, and Arya, flailing with a sort of mindless inexorability.

    Two, however, are a bit more... clever. One circles the throng, and brings its heavy arms down on Drifa's head. The other, displaying a disconcerting speed and agility that you had not yet seen in these walking corpses, charges at the Knight. His attack catches her off guard and slams into her lower back. Then, lifting her up in the air like a child, it slams her into the ground with such force that she is buried, utterly, in the wagon-churned ground.

    Spoiler
    Show


    D1: SLA Summon Monster II (Fiendish Wolf, M6)
    W: Attack Aswin
    Attack: (1d20+3)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]
    Trip: (1d20+1)[9]
    Pa: Turn undead; move to G4
    Turn check: (1d20+3)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+9)[20] <= Z5 and Z4 are turned, and cower.
    Z1: Smash door (Full round action; automatic hit) (1d6+6)[7] Door now has 8/10 HP.
    Z2: Full round action to save against clinging darkness (DC 17 Reflex): (1d20+2)[7]
    Z3: Move to M9; attack Aswin (flanking)
    Attack: (1d20+10)[23]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[7]
    Z4: Attack Aswin Turned by Pa. Cowers.
    Attack: (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[9]

    Z5: Stand (Provoking AoOs from Drifa, Aswin, and the knight); attack Aswin. Turned by Pa. Cowers
    Attack: (1d20+8)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[9]

    Z6: Move to L6; attack Aswin
    Attack: (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[9]
    Z7: Move to N10; attack Arya
    Attack: (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[9]
    Z8: Full round action to save against clinging darkness (DC 17 Reflex): (1d20+2)[4]
    Z9: Atack Arya
    Attack: (1d20+8)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[9]
    Za: Charge Pa (end movement at G5)
    Attack: (1d20+12)[29]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[11]
    Pa's Reflex save: (1d20+5)[15]
    Zb: Move to N6; attack Drifa
    Attack: (1d20+12)[25]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[11]
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-05-19 at 12:29 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

    Isaac isn't a hero. Even in his own time, he rarely took up the banner of protest, never really put himself at risk to seek justice for the oppressed; but at the sight of the zombie bashing on the door, the call from this well-meaning strange knight...his blood boils. When he sees her dragged into the ground...his mind races.

    But there is nothing he can do. Nothing.

    The old man looks to Arya. "We must protect those within. Do your duty!" He gestures to her, and then to the zombie pounding on the door, circling a single index finger.

    "Transposition." The familiar echo of a power manifested from a foggy future is heard, a whisper drowned out by the din of battle; "Opportunity..."


    "Vesper, shield others."

    "Confirmed."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Transposition, linked Opportunity (DC 21 Will)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cost: 2pp, Psionic Focus, Vesper's Psionic Focus
    Augment: Linked Power, Psionic Endowment
    Target: Z1, Arya
    Effect: Arya and Z1 switch places. Arya gains a single basic attack at the start of Isaac's next turn.

    Move Action: Gain Psionic Focus.


    Vesper's Full-Round Action: Gain Psionic Focus.
    Vesper Sets Immediate Action Trigger:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If an attack would hit an ally within 30' by two or less, then activate Protection Devotion (grants +3 sacred AC to all allies within 30' for one minute).

    Last edited by Mahrke; 2012-05-19 at 02:04 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •