New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Of those Darker things in the shadow (IC)

The Road less Traveled
    It was the end of the 3rd week and things had started to get a little old.

The beer was starting to taste sour, the revelry off key and the days started to drag on and on.

Those of you who were inside keeping to yourself, sparring to hone your martial skills or to study that last tome in hopes of gleaning some more powerful words of a spell felt it also, the moves where getting tiresome, or perhaps the monotonous actions. The lamplight no longer hurt your eyes, which meant only one thing. You had spent to much time in the dark library of solitude.

It was all getting a little to old.

Fighting Charalax in the desert was hard, no doubt. The wounds still itched a little, but the cleric had said that was normal. You still found sand in places reminding you of the intense heat and scorching heat of the place. But you had survived and helped the Sheikh of the Cho'Danath people, no small task.

At least that was what the bards in the taverns had told you.

But you had at least enjoyed the danger, thrilled at the possibility of it all, the chance to do something and feel the pulse in your veins. The unknown of what would happen was not there anymore to keep your attention. It was time to move on. And as luck would have it a stranger had come into town that very day upon your epiphany. He was a strange looking man, with pointy ears and slender as a rod. Queer if you had asked the Halflings, they told you even if you hadn't asked. He had stopped only to affix a note to the job board and then he was off again, in a trail of dust leaving no other sign of his passage.

Upon reading the note you all look at each other and realize the hand of fate wasn't quite as subtle sometimes. This was it, your chance to get going on another adventure, a chance to get back into the saddle of danger and intrigue.

The Elven city of Juri'Erendith sends it's greetings to you!

We are searching far and wide for those bold and brave enough to come to the southern continent, for we are in need of a few good men and women who can rid our fair city of some pesky animals.

Those interested will be paid 20,000gp after the animals have been slain. Meet Captain Deran in the Port city of Greanlaele on the tenth day of Ouptole. He will have room and board for any who come.

Juri'Erendith High Council
    You know that the local calender has no Ouptole in it, a knowledge (History) would help with this issue.

A Knowledge (Geography) would help to understand how far away Greanlaele is from your current location.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2012-02-03 at 06:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Of those Darker things in the shadow (IC)

Cognette was gaping at the poster. To her the Cho'Danath people had been a secondary concern probably not worth risking their lives over (though the treasure had certainly helped).
    She'd been listening to the little, furry people talk about this thing and had suddenly got up to reading it instead. As she finished one of her new compatriots approached...

"Did you see him pass by? I think he was en elf... wouldn't even stop to talk to anyone. He is probably either a scout or was worried he would get lynched." Cognette turned to look at her new friends, openly curious about the new job. "What would you bet this is a trap?" ~We could show up icognito and scope it out first...~*

"It might not be too late to flag him down if we scry and 'port on top of him... or, or ride out and knock him over."

*private thoughts with ~~ in italic, non-private telepathic communication (if we took telepathic bond) in regular ~~
    Last edited by Mellhurst; 2012-02-04 at 01:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gillivane shakes her head while looking over the parchment. How interesting, extermination of a few woodland pests for twentythousand gold pieces? That sounded like a lot of gold for such a simple task. "I doubt that this is a trap. Anyone who is bound to answer this is going to be a dangerous opponent. I wonder why they pay so much... And I won't be able to scry this elf. Without any sort of description, the chances are far to slim. We will need to just move to this place and see what we can see. Does anyone of you know how far away this place is? I'm certain that if that elf travvels by foot, we will be there long before he is." Gillivane sits back on her tavern bench and starts to leave trough a small, bound book. Although it doesn't look like much, this tome had information to nearly everything in the world, if you knew how to search for it. Luckily, she did.

[Knowledge History: 21 (what is a 10th of Outpole?)]
    Thanks for Zefir for the custom avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh, I'm sorry for being presumptive Miss Silverstaff. Let me go upstairs and tell the guys and I'll have a think about it..."

Leaving the senior mage the young brunette hurried up the stairs to knock. Usually she wore a bulky blue coat over a grey-black jacket and split skirt, but inside it was rented slippers and a long, fine grey surcoat over a long tunic.

Geography: (1d20+6)[10] rerolled (OOC thread): 16
    History: (1d20+6)[11]
    ~... can't really think of anything.
    should've brought those heavy books with me from the office...
    didn't need the space. oh at least I had a glance at the map

Reaching the first room she started banging on it.
    "Hey! Fighters! You in there?"
    (conditional on reply) "Did you see the job posting?"
    Last edited by Mellhurst; 2012-02-05 at 01:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

T'win N'fen (everyone calls him Twin) looks up groggily having drunk too much alcohol the night before.

What job request? I haven't made any job requests! I've been sleeping, a lot, perhaps too much.

He then yawns heavily.
    Last edited by Hazzardevil; 2012-02-04 at 11:33 AM.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

"There's a job notice down at the bulletin board... a suspicious rider left it there. It doesn't specify what we have to kill, but it pays four hundred pounds of gold per taker.
    We can finally leave this dustbowl for a cleaner environment... and it's more target rich too!"
    she said, suspecting he probably felt similar about a few things.
    Last edited by Mellhurst; 2012-02-04 at 11:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

400 pounds of gold?
    Thats...

N'fen quickly attempts to do the maths in his head
    A lot of gold.
    Let me fetch my axe, I have a reason to stop drinking and start doing something productive!
    My extended signature.
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

8. - Top - End - #8

'Well, that'll be a first', Gillivane thinks as she steps up to Cognette and coughs a bit into her hand before raising her voice. "There is no need to hurry. After all, I didn't exactly prepare spells for travelling, so we will not get that far, anyway. But tomorrow, we will be well on our way.. that is, if you really decide to take the job request after reading it."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Jessiah

A young man sits on the windowsill on the second floor of the tavern, his gray eyes trained on each passerby. He looks at each one and observes them, their physical looks, each one's peculiarities. He does so for a while, as if trying to find something out of all he is seeing, like find a pattern among all the randomness.

But it has been days since he has done this, and by now he has seen some sort of pattern indeed. For instance, he always noticed a couple pass by at a particular time of the day every day. He always sees a halfling roam that particular part of town, bumping into anybody and apologizing afterwards, which as days passed he noticed to be bumping particularly wealthy-looking people, and upon observing closely, he noticed to be picking their pockets. And he always observed a little young human woman setting up a small stall opposite the tavern, selling flowers, and always counting her sales after each one she sells. With the threat thwarted and the town startling to settle back to its routine, he begins to memorize almost every single one that passes by that particular street, such that he can pick out those who are new to town.

This particular day, there have been a few travelers that passed by the tavern. Most looked like wandering merchants, travelling in groups and laid with packs of goods. One particular visitor of the tavern catches his attention. An elf. He had not seen an elf in the few days that he had spent here. And the particular elf left as soon as he had come.

"Hey! Fighters! You in there? Did you see the job posting?" A familiar voice is heard.

The young man cuts off his observation and goes off the windowsill, then makes his way downstairs. He listens on the conversation of his comrades about a certain job posting posted by an elf. So that was him. He goes on to read the details and a quizzical look appears on his face. Tenth day of Ouptole? Juri'Erendith? Pesky Animals? 20,000 gold pieces? He listens in as his comrades makes up their mind on taking the job.

He considers the matter for a bit. Indeed they have been waiting for nothing in this town for days, and this promised a trip somewhere far, which is a good thing for him. He did not like to stay too long in one place. Else...Anyway, the pay looks good. Probably a difficult job than it seems. But a job nonetheless.

"I am up for leaving any time you all decide to," he finally chimes in.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Gillivane -
    You leaf through your book with ease and remember a section regarding the intricacies of the internal realms in the Halfling kingdoms. Finding the section in the book you skim through each section looking for anything regarding a calender or 'Ouptole'.

Huzzah! A few moments later you find exactly what you where looking for, a Town called Greanlaele in the sub halfling kingdom of Alleeshus uses it for it's local calender. A quick cross reference and you figure out the date is in 5 days.

Cognette -
    Thinking back you fail to remember anything about the town of Greanlaele, but with a sudden rush of recollection you trigger a thought pattern and the town's name causes a train of thoughts until you are thinking of the location. In your memory you see the ocean, the southern ocean if you recall correctly and a small burrow village common to the backlandish halflings. You know it's far away, but alas, you cannot put your finger on the exact distance.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

"... so anyway, I think it's a set of burrows somewhere along the southern ocean. Lots of halflings there so we can expect a gentle but hilly landscape and good service I think and..."

"Oh, hi Jessiah. You want to leave too?"
    "So... Miss Silverstaff says we're not 'porting, or journeying out before tomorrow. If you've no other plans do you think you could help me go shopping?"
    Last edited by Mellhurst; 2012-02-04 at 03:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Jessiah

He looks at Cognette, then to Gillivane browsing through her book. "...If we are not leaving soon then..." his sentence is left unfinished, but after being with him for a while, Cognette knows he is going with her.

13. - Top - End - #13

Gillivane closes the tome with a soft thump before pushing it back into her magical backpack, before she raises her eyes to the others. "No, we won't, at least I suggest we don't. We still need a map to the place we are going to, find out if any difficulties could be on that road, get provisions and settle our debts with the innkeeper. There are also some short visits I have to pay to the local mages, pleasentries to exchange, all that, very tedious...

Nevermind. The day we are requested to be there is in five days. Tomorrow, I will teleport us to the nearest feasible place, then, we will travel by magical steeds. Their speed far outpaces any living horse, so we might very well reach our destination the same day. At least, that is my suggestion to how we arrange our travels."
    At least, they would get away from the halflings for some time.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cognette nods, looking at the others to see if they feel the same.

(conditional) Afterwards she heads to her room to change and equip her armour, gear and various possessions to go shopping in town.
    Last edited by Mellhurst; 2012-02-06 at 08:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Jessiah

Jessiah nods at Gillivane's proposal. It seemed sound enough. He makes his way outside the tavern and leans on the wall, waiting for Cognette. He stares blankly on his feet, and his mind wanders on the prospect of visiting the last elven city. Well, the last that he knows of. He also considers the possible task they have to do. With so vague a description and a large sum of gold as reward, it smells nothing short of danger.

Danger. Huh. Since when did I care about danger? There is no greater danger than going back to that place.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hey." Fifteen minutes later Cog had finally reappeared with a slightly strained wave, heavy coat over full combat gear.

"Do you know any good places to go?" she asked Jessiah.
    "I can't think of that many places... but basically I was hoping to buy some items to better deal with close quarters combat, and maybe aquire some items for general adventuring in the south."
    Plus I dunno, maybe something to drink to forget when we're in a burrow..."
    Vilac added with a mild grin.

Search (for cqb weapons & sundry items and adventuring gear) (1d20+5)[18]
    Gather Information (on bargains!) (1d20+2)[19]
    Last edited by Mellhurst; 2012-02-05 at 09:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Gillivane sighs a bit, then nods to herself. "I shall leave the organising of food and other equipment to you and visit some scolars which might provide us with a definite goal. I will be back before nightfall." Then, she leaves the others to their devices and takes a stroll trough the halfling city. She liked civilisation, and she especially liked that this empire was built to a scale comfortable to her, but she would not gain much more insight at this place. It was evident, she was at least one of the most powerfull mages of this country, and people of her power seldomly shared it. The only way she would glean new knowledge and insight was by, as they say, adventuring, delving into forgotten ruins and tombs, all that. There was little she could learn from the mages she prepared to visit, but you never knew when they might be usefull, didn't you? In her mind, she goes trough a list of spells she should prepare. Magical Steeds were a given, of course, and two teleportations. She would need some magical protections and fighting spells, too, you never knew what you would encounter. And if a mountain range was between their entrance point and the goal, she would have to prepare spell enhancers too, so that the magical steeds could fly... Oh, how she loved this planning.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Peacekeeper

The hulking warforged sat in a corner of his room during all the clamor, busily crafting toys for the local youths. Most of these toys were unfunctional: simply nails, rivets, and other pieces of metal contorted into impossible shapes. However, Peacekeeper had once heard that children were quite imaginative, so there was no doubt in the construct that they would find a way to have fun with them. Peacekeeper had grown partial to all softies since its vision, but to children in particular.

The gigantic machine stows away its toys and joins the group, remaining largely silent while they discuss shopping and the best way to travel. It needed to acquire some gear, but the question of travel seemed odd. "Why must magic always be used, little softies?" the machine grumbles. "Teleportation leaves Peacekeeper disoriented."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Jessiah -
    You recall quite easily an honest merchant, or what passes as one in a halfling city. Jorges Consortium is not far from your inn and you have heard of him through listening to clients of the bar downstairs.

Finding a good halflling merchant will still require you haggle, a halfling is a halfling.

Gillivane -
    Fortunately for you, mages are more common in the halfling empire and you easily find the cities mage, from what you have seen she is the only person who would be able to help you with the information you seek.

Upon entering the Mage's build you see a small desk facing the entrance and a pretty female hin sitting behind it. Approaching the desk, the young hin looks up and smiles at you.

"Can I help you dear?" she says.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Jessiah

He turns his head as Cognette comes out and asks her question. He thinks for a bit and looks down the street. "...here. Follow me..." and proceeds to walk without looking back at her. He arranges his cloak as he does so, completely concealing his entire body, and walks in silence, his footsteps swift but calculated. His eyes are trained towards his destination, but darts left and right from time to time, a habit he has developed over the years in his practice.

After a few minutes, he stops at a rather modest establishment. It is wooden, with a huge circular glass window in front, and doors on both side of it. A rickety signboard above the window says "Jorges Consortium" painted in dull red and is already flaky and chipped in some parts. Inside the window, an array of miscellaneous items can be seen, from ordinary ones, to shiny, curious-looking ones. Jessiah opens the door to the left and enters.

21. - Top - End - #21

Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper follows Jessiah and Cognette, his gigantic metal feet creating echoes as he stomps through the streets.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Twin stands up and starts wandering around the town attempting to find out if there are any beers worth trying in Juri'Erendith. Or anything else that might be going on.
    My extended signature.

23. - Top - End - #23

Gillivane:

Gillivane takes a long look at the halfling woman while straightening her back. A simple clerk calling her 'dear'? What did these mages teach their servants in these parts? She decides that this shall not stand, not in the least. Turning her arrogance up to eleven, she raises herself a bit to look down on the hin, thumping her staff onto the ground, once.

"I am Magistrix Gillivane Silverstaff, Carrier of the Robe of Calling, woven by Ivengard of the Fey, Mistress of Angels and Infernals alike, traveller trough the fabric of space, loremistress of things both arcane and planar, Confounder of the Urk Army of Warchief Thundertusk and Slayer of the Dragon Charalax. For short, Magistrix Silverstaff will surfice. Dear... will not.

Now, I require of you to tell the head of the school of conjuration that I ask for a bit of his time in the later afternoon, if it is feasible, for exchange of knowledge arcane, and I require the usage of your library mundanus, to be more specific, the geographic knowledge you have collected."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Gillivane -

The young pretty halfling almost drops her chin to the floor as you retort back with a barrage of titles and insults. Her eyes mist up and you can tell she is willing herself not to cry in front of you.

"I...I..I'm sorry Miss, I meant no offense." she stammered out, standing quickly she pushed her chair back, which ended up tipping over and landing with a clank on the floor. As she did an elderly female halfling came walking around the corner of the building, spectacles in hand held up to her eyes and a book in the other. she stops short and without moving the book or her spectacles looks at you sternly much like a mother would to her young.

"You are looking for me? There is no need to frighten my assistant here, she is plain enough, a cousin actually, from my sisters side. Come with me" she turns back the way she came and closes her book with a quick slam and shuffles the large book under her arm. "What is it that you need?"

Others -

Upon entering the building you seem to be transported to another place, not literally as you see the windows are showing the same items as from outside and you can even look out the windows, but the inside is something far from the outside of the shop.

A desk floats in a cavernous like room before you, you too are floating, not out of control, you easily and quickly realize you can manipulate the direction of travel and the speed with little to no thought. Much like the ethereal plane if you had ever traveled there.

The desk is several feet before you with a halfling sitting behind wearing black rimmed glasses reading a newspaper as if the floating was as normal as the green grass out in the fields.

Further down the interior of the shop you can see similarly floating shelves and chests lined against the wall, but floating in irregular patterns, never straying to far from their designated spot. You see the room defies logic as it spreads out much farther than is actually possible, and if they are all full of items you realize you have come to the right spot.

You see several signs inside.

-Break it you buy it-
    -Need help? Call Freddy!-
    -NO RETURNS-
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Jessiah

The sudden effect of floating surprises Jesse a little, and he becomes more apprehensive of his surroundings. A few moments, he relaxes as he comes to understand the workings of magic that is affecting the whole interior of the establishment. It does not take him long to work his way with moving using his own mind; he is not a user of magic, but he had enough experience with it.

Pretty fancy for a mere shop. He floats toward a few curious-looking items and looks at them carefully.

26. - Top - End - #26

Gillivane:

A cousin? Nevermind that, these Halflings all seemed to be related. Following her, she gives a curt nod to the halfling girl, polite, but without apology. A bit of fear didn't hurt, did it. The stern look of the halfling woman doesn't elict from her much of a response, either. It was not like she had thrown her trough the room with telekinesis, right?

"I hope that my words will change her demeanour, or she might anger someone who doesn't retort only with words.

Greetings, Maga. I am sure you overheard my introduction, though I am not sure how I should address you. But if you did not, Magistrix Gillivane Silverstaff. I am asking for your knowledge, or a quick look into one of your volumes, to obtain the location of a city. Additionally, I have obtained a few books from that dragon, mostly about enchantment, not my forte. I could lend you to them, for safe keeping, although you are free to peruse them at your leisure. If wish, you could see this as a payment for your knowledge, although I like to think that wizards tend to cooperate in most things."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Magic must be used because otherwise we'd live short, unfulfilling lives walking from one place to another, Peacekeeper! What did you make this evening?" she'd looked at his handful of toys for anything that caught her interest.

(relative present) Saying nothing, but looking pleased with the floating effects. It wasn't something she'd appreciate on a regular basis, but as something out of the usual it was a good experience, and it probably helped a load with their filing too.
    "Are you Freddy?"
    "Because if you are we need a wrench, four safety goggles, folding table, thermostat and pressure meter, bug deflector, tea pot, tea leaves, picnic gear, mega-tent and mini-hammer, fifty nails, a flotation device, two hundred feet of silk rope, ten pounds of caltrops, ten candles, crowbar, flint and steel, a torch, two grappling hooks, five bottles of ink, two locks, two masterwork manacles, ten pints of oil, a spyglass, five acid flasks, five alchemist's fire flasks, an anti-toxin vial, an everburning torch, ten holy water flasks, five smokesticks, two sunrods, a tanglefoot bag, a thunderstone, two tindertwigs, an alchemist's lab, a masterwork artisan's tools, a climber's kit, a disguise kit, a healer's kit, a bit of holly and mistletoe, a wooden symbol of St Cuthbert, a silver symbol of St Cuthbert, two hourglasses, a water clock, a magnifying glass, five small masterwork musical instruments, a merchant's scale, two spell component pouches, a small sled, masterwork thieves' tools, an unholy symbol, summer and winter clothing for four, four bottles of dwarven wine, four loaves of bread, four apples, a mango, a small sled and four hunks of cheese, please.

And I'd like to have a look at your close quarter combat weapons to select one."
    Last edited by Mellhurst; 2012-02-07 at 07:55 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Peacekeeper

The large construct seems to smile at Cognette, if such a feat was possible. In the least, the outside plates of its facemask slid slightly upwards. "Toys," the machine boomed, its curt response the same every day. It could not tell you what made the twisted metal creations count as "toys" or how a normal child was supposed to view them as fun in any way, but it seemed to give the creature a way to pass the time while the others slept.

"Walking is quite fulfilling," Peacekeeper intones on the way to the shop. "Right now, it is fulfilling the purpose of transport to Jorges Consortium, for example. There is no need to use..." As they set foot in the shop, Peacekeeper looks visibly dismayed as it is gently lifted off its feet. It moves in small, uncertain motions, making sure not to knock into any of the shelves. Defeated, the warforged sighs "...magic."
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-02-07 at 07:39 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I think they need it for their filing system." Cognette glides around a bit before looking embaressed. "It... it'd be annoying in the long run though!" she edges closer.
    "Say, would you trade me one of your toys for the water clock? Just as a souvenir, I can't promise I'd play with it, so it'd probably be lonely."
    Last edited by Mellhurst; 2012-02-07 at 07:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Peacekeeper

The construct raises an eyebrow--or at least does its best, as it has no eyebrows to speak of. "Toys are for the little softies, Cognette, not adults. Toys--much like warforged--cannot get lonely since they lack souls. And what use does Peacekeeper have for a water clock? It is simple to extrapolate the time of day by protacting the sun's angle."
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-02-07 at 07:54 AM.