New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Dark (Closed due to player disinterest)

New York ... New York.

Always awake. Always moving. From space, alien travelers can see the city from thousands of miles distant. They can feel the city's pulse over the hum of extraterrestrial electro-mechanics. The defiant spires of the city stand as monument to human achievement. Skyscrapers designed and constructed by a past generation of visionaries sired from street-level aspirations. If you could fly over New York City, streets eclipsed in half-shadow shout a protesting sort of welcome that's never been for the casual tourist.

Light. Sound. Action. New York speaks to the world with the full force of its 400+ years of history - each of the five Burroughs communicating in its own distinct fashion.

Sidewalks boast a constant company of footfall from civilian occupation. The streets bark the loud cries of every automotive concern, with taxicabs, trucks, bikers and privately-owned-vehicles grappling for the way to right. The Way of the City. Never take to this city with apprehension or concern for safety. Anything happens here. Just stay prepared.

Rooftops sport their own traffic, citizens watching the towers and helicopters rise and fall amidst the sound of the endless stream of mecha. There's a real song to the city - the resonant ballad of Metropolis that forces you to reflect on the greater purpose of activity.

Overwhelmed by the scent of exhaust, fine restaurants, trash and technology, New York City has its own unique fragrance. Not like Paris, or England, or Moscow, or Hong Kong. New York was an invitation to engaging imagination - American-style.

Downtown, 9:54 p.m.

City Hall's wide, rounded steel-reinforced shoulders sagged at the end of a long day. Sunlight cut across the stone eagle atop the building's zenith, maybe to signal something. The rest of the structure below the shine was mild shadow, downtown preparing for night. Lights illuminated windows inside the building at the highest level, someone busy. A plan. Always a plan. At street-level, Gen. Nicholas Fury watched the foot traffic. Habit. Two blocks down the guy in the green hoodie was selling drugs to a prostitute. A cabbie across from him was discussing how the U.S. overspends on defense, sacrificing the school systems. Two very attractive women pass debating the veracity of man one of them met on the internet.

Fury drew a cigar infused with Louis XIII cognac to his lips and fired his Zippo at it. While he leaned against the nearby doorway, the man he was waiting for stepped out. Eldain Owlheart. When the President and Congress came to the rebuilding S.H.I.E.L.D. for a plan to revamp NYC's emergency-management protocols, Fury dropped 1,000 names in a hat. The computer spit out the very-best of the best.

Owlheart was Number One.

In terms of statistical logistics, no one had come close to what the young tactician had produced. Uncanny. Revised the Army's Pacific readiness program. Restructured the UN's Middle East response from "hack & slash" to something 21 Century. And, advised Fury's reboot of S.H.I.E.L.D. All very quiet. "Under the radar". That was Owlheart's trick: he never showed his face or stood in conference rooms. He told you how to do it, from across the world. But now, "under the radar" was over.

Fury found, cajoled, coerced and brought him in. This project, AEGIS, needed a face. A face that demanded respect. That was Eldain Owlheart. What a name. Fury turned his head to gaze at the man exiting City Hall alone,

"Doctor Owlheart, I presume. Have you eaten today? Or are we just having coffee?"

Astrid had met the X-men by pure accident, on a city street. Now, they were all gathered for an outing at Central Park. Wolverine insisted. The blaze from the (illegal) BBQ grill illuminated the area for yards as Nightcrawler, Rogue, Colossus, Storm, Shadowcat and Logan talked about their travels. They laughed and comforted Astrid with soft contact to make her feel wanted. They all knew what it was to be a mutant. To be alone and unwanted and feared. They knew what it was to be ALONE. And they meant to make sure Astrid didn't have to experience it.

Kurt (Nightcrawler) splashed ice-cold water from a cooler at Astrid, smiled and teleported away. Teleporters. Everyone smiled and chatted wildly, except Logan, who took a cold beer from a cooler and cracked it open with a wet splash. He eyed Astrid and winked before downing his brew. It was wonderful. Finding her lost family across dimensions. Finding a home.

Better still, Astrid had found Franklin Richards. Her erstwhile savior from across the realm, Franklin, a young teen, had become her good friend. He shared his experiences as the child of Earth's greatest adventurers and in exchange, Astrid shared herself. He was so unbelievably powerful - a power that ignored dimensional barriers. And yet. Franklin was so approachable. Almost ..... human. He always had a smile for Astrid and there was a strong connection between them. She just wasn't sure of the exact point.

Then, the grill fire whipped out, attacked by an unusual breeze. The area went dark and the wind picked-up around the group. Viciously. Storm fell to the ground, trying to gather herself, along with the others. Quickly, all the mutants were overwhelmed by the sudden, wretched typhoon that left them defenseless as babes. Astrid blinked at the forceful wind as it lashed into her face. The entire park had become nothing but darkness. Vile, unholy dark.

From the center of Central Park, a hundred feet in front of Astrid, a light flashed. Flashed and grew. The light became flame that lashed and crawled at lightning-speed across the area. In an eyeblink, everything was on fire. Even the darkness burned. Astrid was hot. Her skin - no - her psyche sweat against this wild heat. It wasn't ----

--- from the center of the blazing light source, "he" walked. Both slo-motion and at the speed of thought. Beyond movement. Beyond action. Beyond reality, a humanoid form composed of pure mental energy paced towards Astrid. She couldn't move. Couldn't speak.

The incandescent form walked up to her and stopped, two yards distant. Astrid could feel him watching her. She could now feel his mind running over her soul - tracing her consciousness. And she couldn't stop him. Whoever he was, his power nearly rivaled Franklin's. It was ....... mind-bending.

Then, a soft hand touched her shoulder. Franklin leaned in and whispered,

"Don't be afraid of him. He can't hurt you. Just remember, to remember."

The energy-being was suddenly upon Astrid, in her face, the force of his psyche melting away her own essence with its intensity! He reached for her face and spoke, directly into her mind,

" ..... Ariel .... Astrid ....... sister ....."

Brooklyn, St. Jude's Womens and Childrens Shelter:

Astrid awoke with a snap, her heart pounding loud against her skin. Her room at the shelter was cold. 10'x10'x10', the plain, cracked-white paint room offered the young mutant a warm bed in replace of luxury. It was night and Astrid was still struggling with sleeping. She could hear the city outside her small window, relentless.

Astrid had many gifts. And they showered her with long nights of terrifying images. She had never met the X-men of this dimension. She hadn't met any of the mutants she knew, to include Franklin. What was this new dream? The future? Just a dream?

Astrid felt the worried thoughts of Emelie Hansford. Emelie was the shelter matron and served as defacto mother for the the 20+ females living there. Caucasian, 60+, gray-haired and possessing a gentle charisma, Hansford had left a promising psychiatric practice to help troubled women get their lives back. Astrid was her "special project". Emelie felt she was, well ... special.

So, the matron stood over Astrid, pensive,

"I heard your voice - it sounded ..... are you okay?"

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, so. went heavy on the intros. Post any notes or roll request in a spoiler text.
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-07-12 at 02:33 PM. Reason: closing thread

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark

As Eldain walked out of the City Hall, he headed over to Fury. "General," he greeted with a handshake, polite but informal. He'd never paid too much attention to military protocols. As extensively as he worked with them, he was a civilian and independent contractor. In his experience, it helped to make sure the officers he worked with remained aware of that.

He was out of costume at the moment - or more to the point, wearing civilian clothes over his costume. Just a casual business suit, his visor up over his head. He was also carrying a briefcase that held his laptop.

"Not since breakfast," he responded to Fury's question. "You?" Discussing matters over a meal or not suited him either way; he'd let Fury make that call, and basically take the lead on setting the parameters of the meeting. Far as he figured, he had a simple role to play - answer whatever questions the general had for him.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

She huddled herself under the bed. It was a trick she had learned being in the resistance. While uncomfortable it made it feel more like home. It was day three in this world. She had been living on the kindness of strangers here and she still had no plan. Her armored suit was still malfunctioning. If she had Forge here he'd know how to fix this... he'd know how to deal with being alone... and in a place so strange but dangerously familiar.

"I'm okay Mrs Hansford," she called out, trying to sound normal.

Normal... what a thought. She had a hard time grasping the idea of what normal was here in this world. She could look normal but she didn't know anything of what normal here meant.

She removed her top and it shimmered. The image inducer was not completely working but it was enough. She grabbed the magazine she had saved from the trash and began to flip though the pages, that top... that skirt... those shoes... She had to re program the outfit again. It was buggy that way, but it worked. She could look normal.

Once the illusion stabilized she headed out the door and greet the other women with a smile.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    "Not since breakfast," he responded to Fury's question. "You?" Discussing matters over a meal or not suited him either way; he'd let Fury make that call, and basically take the lead on setting the parameters of the meeting. Far as he figured, he had a simple role to play - answer whatever questions the general had for him.
    "Starving, and I know this place that makes the best Reubens." Fury turns and walks down the street, looking around while addressing Owlheart,

"We meet with officials in the morning. Gyrich, all the D.C. bigwigs and the mayor's people. What I've seen from your team thus far exceeds expectations. But, I know where these kinds of things can go. The wrong question at the wrong time .... So, can New York City be protected? Do we need to replace the Avengers with a new team?"

Fury and Owlheart walk a few blocks as night falls on Manhattan. There's crowds of people everywhere. Taxicabs and limos line the streets. and it's getting colder - no wind, but the temperature is dropping around 20°.

Around them and almost-perfectly blended into the environment are several S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, shadowing Fury's position. A security detail no doubt. Most people wouldn't have spotted them, since they were spies after all.

Spoiler
    Show

DC22 Perception check
    (1d20+5)[22]
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-03-28 at 04:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by shugyosha View Post
    Astrid
    Once the illusion stabilized she headed out the door and greet the other women with a smile.
    Astrid was met at the doorway by Hansford and Marisol, the three-year-old daughter of one of the other women, Rosie. Marisol liked Astrid. The little girl thought she was an angel.

"Hola, San Astrid. How are you doing?" Marisol reached for Astrid's hand, as usual, so they could walk together.

Hansford stood next to Marisol, watching Astrid. More like analyzing. She could be smothering at times, but never intentionally.

Spoiler
    Show

This is just Astrid's launch pad. You can create/RP anything you want here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds good. Where's it at? I can-" he began, reaching out as he said so, though halting as he noticed the suits, giving just a twitch of a smile and murmuring, "Suppose they wouldn't like that."

When Fury mentioned Gyrich, Eldain let out an annoyed breath. He would be the big problem tomorrow, he was sure. Eldain was happy with the work he and his team had been doing so far. The logistics were solid. The tech, though some of the better pieces were still in development, was even better.

But at the end of the day, replacing the Avengers properly was going to require an equivalent level of rapidly-deployable, precisely-targeted, and strategically versatile raw power, and you didn't get that from soldiers or police, however well-armed and well-trained. "Can it be done? Yes. But like I said when you first came to me, if you want it done properly, you need to have the metahuman community on your side. The mutants, the aliens, and above all, the heroes. The systems we've developed and the assets at our immediate disposal can handle the vast majority of problems, yes. But if you want Avengers-level protection where it counts...another team would be good, but even that's a small step. Our big challenge isn't going to be logistical. It's going to be political."

His voice brightened some with excited confidence as he continued, "But if we get over that hurdle? Get everyone on the same page, and then get them using the systems and tech we're working on? Game. Changed. Have you seen the app yet?" He finished with a big grin.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

She forced a smile and walked with the child, "I'm okay. How are you this morning."

They made small talk as the three made their way to the kitchen for breakfast. She swallowed her last bit of oatmeal and said, "I think I'm going to head to the library today. You said that I needed to figure out what I should do with my life and I think that's a good place to start."

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    "But if we get over that hurdle? Get everyone on the same page, and then get them using the systems and tech we're working on? Game. Changed. Have you seen the app yet?" He finished with a big grin.
    Fury stopped at a food stand on a street corner & dug in his pocket. The small metallic stand was attended by an older man with long salt & pepper hair, shades, and a "Fu-Manchu"-style goatee that curled down to his chest. He was heavy-set and the long white apron he wore bulged with his belly.

"Two of your bests, Sal."

Fury produced a $20 bill and tucked it in Sal's apron chest pocket, then looked at his "watch",

"Yeah. You know, I get 20 calls a day from Wall Street asking if your services are available? Everything looks clean. Too clean even for my 'first blush'. I'll trust your noggin on it."

The General drops his watch-arm and looks at Eldain quizzically with his good eye,

"I don't get it, Owlheart. Yeah, you have the background for the work. The 'know-how'. What I can never figure is exactly why: Why support non-profit government projects when you can easily get enough dough to buy your own planet from working for corporations? What's your real angle? You building a resume?"

Fury gazes at Eldain intently .............

St. Jude's Shelter:

Standing nearby Astrid with the determined little Hispanic girl, Dr. Emelie Hansford connected dots,

"Right ..... your rare form of Amnesia would only be helped with that kind of discovery. Revisiting the past can jar awareness, but I wish you would check-out a book or two and read them here, so I can help with any sudden recollection. Finding yourself can be traumatic, Astrid, especially in a strange place. I want to help - just remember that, okay? Goodness, the oatmeal must be good today. I'll check it out."

Hansford walks away, leaving the little Marisol staring at Astrid. The little girl smiles warmly and watches Astrid's every movement, as if the mutant woman is a goddess. Astrid thinks to respond, but is distracted --- the dining room slows, ever so perfectly, until it stops! All the room's 15+ women & childen stop moving completely, except for one scene:

Astrid Rosie, Marisol's mother, standing in line for food, suddenly engaged in a very angry debate with Devanita, a black crack-fiend prostitute, over a supposed stolen item! They point fingers and swing their heads and shout and get in each others faces, which causes nearby women to move away.
    Dr. Hansford moves towards the engaged women telling them to keep their distance, but before she reaches them, Devanita throws a blow, striking Rosie square on the cheek! Rosie stumbles back and nearly falls, while her young daughter, Marisol, rushes to hug Astrid's leg, her face a frantic bawl,

"...... I wish you were my mommy!"

The room returns to normal motion, from stop to slow-motion to actual pace. Astrid sees Rosie standing in line, looking at her daughter and Astrid with a soft smile. Behind Rosie, Devanita holds a very hard gaze on Rosie ......

Spoiler
    Show

Both women seem sincere: Rosie looks innocent & Devanita is truly angered
    Astrid can let it go down, or, try to prevent the fight ......
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-03-28 at 07:05 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

Her head throbbed in a way it never has. It was similar to the time she started hearing voices in her head, the voice of other people's thoughts, but this was something else. She felt like she was swimming in slow motion backwards.

She got up and left in a hurry. If asked all she could say was she needed air. Her breathing was quick and heavy as she paused outside the door to collect her thoughts...

Spoiler
    Show

I'm playing her as if she doesn't know what'd going on yet.
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2013-03-28 at 10:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Eldain chuckled at the question, "Money's never been a primary concern, been that way all my life. I mean, there aren't many superpowers in general that you can't use to earn a comfortable living. But augmented intelligence and teleportation? My hobbies bring in more money than I need," he said with a shrug.

"No, it's not about that. It's the projects themselves. What happened to the Avengers was a joke, but even if they were released today, I'd still be going home to work on AEGIS, because it's a system worth having. And once we get it perfect, we can roll it out further. Protect more people. That's a goal I can get behind. Boosting up some giant corporation's bottom line? Just doesn't hold my interest."

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

11. - Top - End - #11

Phase Knight:

The normally unpleasant odors of the streets is replaced with the delicious fragrance of roasting corn beef. Even the sound of the sizzling meat made passing pedestrians pause. Quick and as easy as pie, the cook prepared the sandwiches, smoking in the cold night air, then reached them over to Fury,

"Dere ya go, Nick, and good seein' ya still in one piece. Come back anytime."

"Thanks, Sal, and who else makes real Reubens but you?"

Fury hands Eldain a hot sandwich wrapped in light foil,

"Fair enough, Owlheart. You know I'm in your corner, whether AEGIS sinks or sails. One word of advice though ..... save the 'We need the heroes on-board' for your grand finale. Amazingly, I've almost got Gyrich ready to sign-off on the project. But that last part - the part that I agree is paramount - will have him seeing red. I worked with Captain America and the Avengers for what seemed like forever, and in that time, Gyrich has always expressed his reservations about those he considers 'vigilantes'.

We get him, we get our green-light. I say 'we', but I may have to miss the morning conference. S.H.I.E.L.D. has reached the point in the re-building effort where several investigations that were shelved are back on the table. A strange 'missing persons' case, in particular. I'm flying back to D.C. tonight for intel analysis and agent briefings. So, I'm not sure I make it back in time."

A sleek, black limo pulls up to the corner, blocking traffic in three directions and the rear suicide-doors open, revealing a plush leather interior that resembles something only the super-rich could afford. While his team of "invisible agents" hold a small perimeter and horns honk around the intersection, Fury ducks into the rear seat,

"If something comes up - End of the world, zombie apocalypse, Gyrich walks out - you know how to reach me."

The S.H.I.E.L.D. spymaster sits back as the automated doors slam shut, then the limo raises from the ground as crowds of bystanders look-on, and Fury's flying car zips around the corner, out of sight. The intersection returns to normal, for New York at night. The disguised agents fade into the darkening streets and Eldain Owlheart is left with to his thoughts. And sandwich.

Astrid:

Searching for fresh air, Astrid finds herself outside St. Jude's on a chilling evening. Steam rises from the two manhole covers on Massey Boulevard, which the shelter faces. The 81-year-old stone structure was once a proud cathedral serving North Brooklyn. But over the last twenty years, it fell into disrepair and was sold by the local diocese. Brooklyn purchased the 50' building and converted it into a home for women and children in trouble.

St.Jude. The patron saint of desperate causes and crisis. According to the Bible, at the Last Supper, Jude asked Jesus why he wouldn't reveal himself to the whole world after his resurrection. Obviously, Jude was an advocate for sending a message. Even in its withered state, the former cathedral-turned-shelter sent a strong message to those with nowhere to go. Pitted and graffiti-scarred, its stone walls were gray from age. The domed-gold roof had long since faded to yellowish, but still held its cross high over Brooklyn.

As Astrid took frozen breaths trying to clear her mind, the sound of argument escaped from inside the building - Rosie and Devanita. The vision was happening. The shouting echoed across the dark city block and a stray cat the color of copper padded past Astrid, leaving paw-prints in the leftover patches of snow. A few people were out, walking the sidewalks in a hurry to get out of the cold, warm breaths fogging from their mouths with each step. Brooklyn's street-lights illuminated the gray clouds overhead and painted the area faint orange.

And Astrid suddenly felt as if she was being watched ......

Spoiler
    Show

Players can post whatever & I'll keep moving forward.
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-03-29 at 03:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"I have a few ideas for dealing with Gyrich," Eldain said. Granted, most of them involve teleporting him to increasingly improbable locations, he thought, the corner of his lip twitching up.

When Fury said he might not be able to make it to the meeting, Eldain gave him a canny look. "Noted," he said with a hint of amusement. DC to NYC was a quick hop to the teleporter, and Fury knew that. The message, by Eldain's mind, was clear; Fury wanted to make sure he could handle this himself.

Very well.

"Understood. Have a good trip, General," Eldain replied as the limo drove off, before taking a bite of his sandwich. "Hm." he said, before walking back to the sandwich stand, and spending about ten minutes studying the place while he ate, fixing the location in his mind for future reference.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

13. - Top - End - #13

Sal eyes Owlheart while stirring a fresh batch of corn beef that smells like the sweetest song,

"You here to help with our problems? Seems like we can't keep heroes in New York anymore. They keep vanishing. Almost as if ...... well, as if there was an agenda."

Sal's left hand reaches for his collar and pulls it down, revealing a S.H.I.E.L.D. emblem tattoo,

"Rank-6. Took a HYDRA round to my calf and had to call it quits. But, my blood still runs red, white and blue. Fury got my unit out of there ....... I'll always owe the man that I idolized as a young agent ....

.... so you looking for the missing superhumans?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

She was confused. Even more that before. She couldn't help think that most of what she was feeling was an after effect of the reality shift. The vivid day dreams... the nightmares... and now this feeling of being watched... She felt she could trust her own feelings.

Taking a deep breath she goes back into the shelter. She watched the two women argue. Astrid was frozen and their actions are slow motion...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Eldain frowned slightly at Sal's words. He knew there was some...tension in the metahuman circles since the Avengers had been arrested, but he hadn't heard about the disappearances. "I wasn't aware," he replied, somewhat absently. That bore looking into.

But not tonight. Finishing his sandwich, he simply vanished, teleporting back home.

About four seconds later, he realized that was rude, and teleported back. "I'm uh, heading home. Thanks for the info...Sal, right? And the sandwich!" he said with a grin, and then vanished again.

Which...was just silly, he then thought. Eh, better silly than rude, he supposed. Right? Maybe he should go back and explain to Sal that-

Stop. Focus. Better? Okay.

He made his way to his desk, taking out his laptop and going over his planned presentation. The information was good, but it needed some bells and whistles, he figured, if he wasn't going to have Fury there to handle the talky bits.

Pulling up his design software, he rapidly sketched out the basics, and set to work. Images, animations, sound, music. He wasn't really a big fan of the spotlight, but he could put a solid presentation together when called upon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Mind at Rest and then using Inventor Advantage to invent a really cool and effective presentation for a one-scene Enhanced Trait (Persuasion) 10. DC 15, takes -10 on the check to lower time required by two ranks; 75 minutes to develop, five hours to build, assuming no interruptions. Routine Check with +15 Technology auto-succeeds.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2013-03-30 at 12:06 AM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

Her mind cleared a little. Enough for her to focus her thoughts on that other mind... It was different... there and not there. It was almost like looking through someone... like that mind was not anchored completely in his world... Could it be?... Someone else that Frankie sent here.

Astrid's heart raced. It was the first news in her time here that made her happy. She focused her mind to hold on to that presence, maybe she can get a location or a direction.

17. - Top - End - #17

Phase Knight:

In his home workshop/lab, Eldain constructed his "fail-safe" device, to hopefully prevent the ship from sinking (as Fury had so eloquently put it). Just as Owlheart was getting into a rhythm around 10:45 p.m., the sound of his doorbell echoed through the home's warm interior. A second ring followed the first after only two heartbeats.

Just as the brilliant technician moved for the door, Eldain's cellphone's "text message" tone chimed ....

Astrid:

Who, or what, the presence was evaded Astrid's psionic awareness, like a half-remembered dream. It seemed to drift just beyond her superhuman perceptions. As she was trying to focus deeper, a figure walked from across the street, pacing casually for St. Jude's.

It was an Asian woman in her 20's, her long black hair flowed from a white knit hat. She was about 5'7", slender, somewhat attractive, with heavy make-up, wearing a heavy white winter-coat lined with tan fur, sporting dark blue jeans and brown boots. She reached the sidewalk and stopped, looking at the tall structure, then turned to address Astrid with a smile,

"What's the name of this building?" the woman asked curiously while looking around the area ....

... Astrid was now more uneasy than moments before: not only was this woman different from the presence the psychic mutant had sensed, but Astrid received zero thought impressions from the stranger!

Spoiler
    Show

I can make Perception or Insight checks for either hero, if players want.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-03-30 at 06:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Eldain raised an eyebrow, about to blink to the door, when his phone chimed. Instead, he walked over while he checked the text message. Assuming the text wasn't something like "They're at your house GET OUT NOW!" or the like, he'd toss the door casually open when he reached it.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

19. - Top - End - #19

Phase Knight:

The text was from dad. "HELLO". A simple code they had worked out, since you never know when HYDRA is monitoring. It meant something was wrong and the elder Owlheart needed to speak with Eldain as soon as possible ....

Spoiler
    Show

I'll hold to see if Quellian wants to edit the previous and post for contacting his father. Please don't assume outcomes. When faced with multiple choices, & I'll throw them at you often, choice one so I can maintain an even flow. Thanks & players can still post - I just need to see if Eldain keeps the same choice.
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-03-30 at 06:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"Give me a minute!" Eldain called to whoever was at his door, then grabbing his laptop and teleporting to his parents' house, appearing in the living room and looking around to see if anyone was present.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

21. - Top - End - #21

Phase Knight:

The living room was empty. No signs of disturbance and everything looked as it would normally be. If Eldain walks the home, he finds his father in his study, seated at his desk and looking at his cellphone. He turns when his son enters and stands,

"Thanks, for coming. I know you're busy right now, but .... have you heard from Sophia? She was supposed to meet me for lunch today and didn't show. I called and have yet to reach her. I called her friend, Zoe, and she said she hasn't been able to reach her all day either. It's not like her. I don't know, maybe I'm just a paranoid old man. But, it doesn't feel right."

Sophia was one of Eldain's talented sisters. The telekinetic. She taught at the famed-Los Angeles school for the blind, The Hightower Institute. While something of a prankster, Sophia's never been known for sudden disappearances. Like her siblings, she's responsible and would let others know where she was.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"Not today, no," he said, quickly texting his younger sister, Lily. Me/Dad -> Sophie. Thanks.

It was another of their codes - the family had a fair few of them; going back through his texts, for example, one could find several score pairs of GPS coordinates, referencing a pickup and dropoff point. The one he sent was a request for Lily for a telepathic connection.

"Got Lily on it. Hey, I'll be back in a minute, someone was at my door when you texted." Not waiting for a reply, he vanished, reappearing back in his house.

Spoiler
    Show
    And pausing just in case whoever it was was rude/stupid enough to break in.

Regarding the telepathy, not sure if M&M telepathy allows a telepath to link people together to talk to each other, so if not, it'd just be asking Lily to link everyone and then play "operator" for them.

Seriously, Lily and Eldain get so many of these messages each day...

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid:

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    It was an Asian woman in her 20's, her long black hair flowed from a white knit hat. She was about 5'7", slender, somewhat attractive, with heavy make-up, wearing a heavy white winter-coat lined with tan fur, sporting dark blue jeans and brown boots. She reached the sidewalk and stopped, looking at the tall structure, then turned to address Astrid with a smile,

"What's the name of this building?" the woman asked curiously while looking around the area ....

... Astrid was now more uneasy than moments before: not only was this woman different from the presence the psychic mutant had sensed, but Astrid received zero thought impressions from the stranger!
    Caught somewhat off guard she answers, "Ahh... St. Judes... Ummm Who are you?"
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2013-03-30 at 07:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Phase Knight:

Arriving at home, Eldain receives Lily's text. "HELLO". Meaning, she couldn't reach Sophia. Problem. Lily could "reach" family as easy as turning her head, so to not find her sister was troubling. The text message required response .......

Astrid:

The Asian woman took a step back from Astrid (they were roughly 20' apart),

"I'm just looking for my cat, um ..... have you seen one around here? Man it's cold, right?"

The woman continued to look around and walked towards the stairs to the shelter .....
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-03-30 at 07:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

That was worrying. Eldain quickly began devising a plan. Step 1: Get rid of whoever was here. He teleported his laptop to his desk and opened the door, texting back with one hand, On it.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

26. - Top - End - #26

Phase Knight:

Eldain hears a loud explosion as his front door is rendered to timber! He can see someone walking through his home, a woman - dust & soot clouds the air! The figure is getting closer to his position, by the sound of footsteps ......

Spoiler
    Show

wont roll Initiative here - rolling on the "Dice Roll" thread
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-03-30 at 09:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Eldain leaped back in surprise as the door exploded. "Oh skippy...did you ever pick the wrong night," he growled, vanishing...and returning instants later, holding in his hands a dire weapon, a technological device as versatile and powerful as it was ancient. He had always believed - indeed, dared hope - that he would never have the need to unleash the overwhelming power of this marvelous invention. But it was the bane of invisibles, and this fool had decided to attack him in his own home. There was nothing left to do, but unleash its fury, and may God have mercy on both their souls.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Teleport into kitchen cabinet.
    Standard action: Retrieve bag of flour.
    Free action: Turnabout back to previous position.

Phase Dodge is on, and as a reminder, I have Uncanny Dodge. Current Psionic Focus: Mind at Rest.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

28. - Top - End - #28

Spoiler
    Show

14 Initiative for the "female figure". She's dressed in a beige skirt-suit. Short blonde hair & blue eyes. Attractive. White shirt & she's definitely more powerful than she looks ...........

29. - Top - End - #29

The "woman's" eyes glow radiant red & unleash beams of violent force that send a loud "ZZZHHHAAANNNT!" across the house!

[roll]1d20+6[/roll]
    vs. DC25

wont roll here for some reason. Hold.
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-03-30 at 09:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler
    Show

Eldain needs to make a Fort check vs. DC20. The Forum roller is broken. I'll use Invisible Caste from here on & post the results.
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-03-30 at 10:05 PM.