New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart (II)

Ithelus regarded the procedure with a grim look on his face. The surgery did make him wince once or twice but the elf's stomach had gotten harder since those first days in Delbrez.

'It's ok, we managed to find his way back.'
    The elf said, 'apparently it takes a lot to kill some people.'

After the grisly act is finished Ithelus sits down by one of the tables. 'Do you think we can trust the soup? Lothar looks like he really needs some food.' He couldn't help but catch Pieter's eye, the initiate seeming intent on staring the elf down.

'We'll need to hear the whole story too,' Ithelus continues, 'Starting with the part about how you died but then didn't.'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2012-11-20 at 02:27 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar lay on the table, bleeding and trembling. He was certainly not in a state to say anything at the immediate moment.
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2012-11-24 at 01:21 AM.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

"Good morning. Lothar just came back from the woods. Sorry about the mess on the table, we'll clean it up."
    Mrs Hofstadter blinked, dumbfounded by Pieter's matter-of-fact attitude. She seemed at a loss for anything to say.

'It's ok, we managed to find his way back.' The elf said, 'apparently it takes a lot to kill some people.'
    Staring at Lothar lying on the table, she still seemed to make a moment to take it in.

"Good gods, the poor man," she said. Coming forwards, she leaned against the staircase and covered a cough. "But, if... if he's back, what about the others?" There was a sad little edge of hope to her voice. "His lordship?"
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter shook his head slowly. "Lord Verloren's dead. So's Mr Waite. No news from Hans Suster, but..." His voice trailed off, and he left unsaid the grim truth: if Suster had gotten away, he would be back by now.

"For the details, we'll have to wait until Lothar's in a better state. I'm eager to hear his story, too."

He regretted not asking for the story before his fumbling attempt at surgery. Were there any painkillers in Mother Yilese's hovel? It would be worth a look. If nothing else, the initiate could replenish his dwindling supply of bandages and poultices.

"Hm... If it's not too much to ask, Mrs Hofstadter, could you please get us a bowl and a ladle?" he asked, more to send her away for a moment than anything else. "Lothar must be starving."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

The offering... at the shrine. Illiiya said quietly, I did not think that the human goddess would listen... or even if she had any power to aid us... but she did. She kept the knight at bay, and she brought Lothar back. She is probably the only reason for this town's salvation with that tree nearby.

She looked between Pieter and Ithelus, still refusing to leave Lothar's side or release his hand. There was no doubt in her voice or gaze at all. If nothing else, she firmly believed all that she said.

Just... let him rest, please? Illiiya asked, her voice quietly pleading as her eyes settled on Ithelus. We can only imagine the hell he has been through.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter shook his head slowly. "Lord Verloren's dead. So's Mr Waite. No news from Hans Suster, but..." His voice trailed off, and he left unsaid the grim truth: if Suster had gotten away, he would be back by now.

"For the details, we'll have to wait until Lothar's in a better state. I'm eager to hear his story, too."
    Hanna seemed to deflate. Seeming very small, the innkeeper's wife nodded.

"Hm... If it's not too much to ask, Mrs Hofstadter, could you please get us a bowl and a ladle?" he asked, more to send her away for a moment than anything else. "Lothar must be starving."
    "Ladle. Yes." Moving slowly, she shuffled away.

~

They were not to be left in peace for long. Soon enough, the door-latch rattled, and a figure entered in a narrow crack of pale daylight.

"Hello? Anyone here?" It was Leo's voice. "They're saying..."

He stopped in mid-sentence as he saw Lothar. The soldier lay motionless on his side, one hand still pressed over what had been done to his face. His other eye was closed; if not for the slow movement of his chest as he breathed, he might have been taken for dead.

"...well," said Leopold, recovering a little. "They're right."

He paused.

"Just him, then," he said, his voice flat and hollow. "I thought... I mean, we left him for dead." He looked down at the man on the table. "Talberg's been telling everyone. It's got a way of getting your hopes up, you know? Hearing someone else made it back." He paused again. "There are going to be questions."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The break in the middle represents the passage of some flexible time. If you want to have a bit more conversation before Leo appears, feel free to split your posts; Brenton, if you're waiting for a suitable time to pass before Lothar starts doin' stuff again, feel free to consider that tilde the better part of it.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #457

Lothar stirred, mutting. It was mostly variants on 'ow', with imprecations to a host of gods - some of which seemed to be made up on the spot. Still clutching at his ruined face, he half-curled towards Leo's voice.

"Right, yes. Bloody questions." He grimaced - clearly speaking was unpleasant. "If you wan' answers, you might try bringin' me some kind o' whiskey. Or. Anythin' really. Grog."
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Leo gave a tremendous jump as Lothar moved. He evidently hadn't realised the soldier was conscious.

"If you wan' answers, you might try bringin' me some kind o' whiskey. Or. Anythin' really. Grog."
    "Right. Um. Yes," said Leo, doing his level best to look only at Lothar's good eye - with mixed success. Forcing an embarassed grin across his horrified face, he began to sidle awkwardly sideways. "I will get some. Of that."

Managing to slide out of the way of the soldier's stare, he scuttled over to where the Hofstadters kept their liquor. There was a lot of clumsy clinking and rattling, but the miller's son did at last manage to return with something strong.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyAngel View Post
    The offering... at the shrine. Illiiya said quietly, I did not think that the human goddess would listen... or even if she had any power to aid us... but she did. She kept the knight at bay, and she brought Lothar back. She is probably the only reason for this town's salvation with that tree nearby.
    "Oh, Shallya protects, alright... but She doesn't fight back. Must be why She protected us at the shrine; She needs us to do what She won't."

Illiiya's newfound faith in a peaceful deity could only be good news in the long run, but right now the last thing they needed was for their best asset to swear off the thing she was best at - violence.

Pieter looked up when the door opened. "Morning, Leo. I'm afraid Lord Verloren is definitely dead," he said somberly. He held up the shabby green cloak Lothar had been wearing. "You recognize this?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

"Um," said Leopold, taken slightly aback. "Some... rags? Muddy rags."

Squinting, he looked closer. "Hang on. Wasn't that his?" He looked back at Pieter. "The knight's."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #461

Grimacing, the former soldier curled himself partly into a sitting position. One hand pressed against his face, he used the other to drain the grog with a single swallow.

"Agh." He paused, squinting at Leopold and Pieter. "Aye, tha'ss 'scloak."

Lothar shifted in his place, grinding his teeth. "He gave it me. I was cold. I tole you, he said he didn' promise no-one t' kill a soljer o' the 11th."
    Games:

=

=

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus reaches into his pack and retrieves his pipe. 'Here Lothar,' he said as he packed it, crumbling a powder on top of it. 'They used to use this in Nuln for nerves, and for pain, smoke some.'

Ithelus pulls up a chair, 'So he was from the 11th? Before... before you know...'
    Sigatar by Me

13. - Top - End - #463

Lothar shifted, pain-wracked, and accepted Ithelus's pipe. "Cheers, Ith."

Rather than grinding his teeth, the soldier was now clamping his lips around another man's pipe as the strange scent of the elf's drug billowed into the air.

"Nah, he wasn' from the 11th - I am. He asked where I learned t' fight, I tole him." He winced, shifting again, and gasped in pain. There was cursing.

"We talked for a bit about, I dunno, the war, an' soldierin', an' stuff. He made it clear that he was 'ere for some specific reason, an' that he was goin' t' see it through. But he also said he'd promised no-one to kill a soldier o' the 11th, that's why he let me go. Gave me th' cloak 'cause I was shiverin'."

Lothar rolled his shoulders, puffed on the pipe for a few moments. He seemed to be recovering, sitting straighter, his face less pale and drawn. He squeezed Illiiya's hand.

"I asked if I could bring back Lord Verloren's, uh, body," he coughed, awkward, "and he made it clear that if we came back there then no-one was comin' back. I wasn' really in a place to argue with 'im, an' then he left anyhow."

Lothar stared into the middle distance for some seconds, continuing to puff on the borrowed pipe. He fiddled with the copper ring he wore, shook his head, and continued.

"Seemed a decent sort, really, aside from the - uh, y'know - the whole creature of darkness, dedicated to the North bit. Said he was in th' war, but he couldn't remember what it was he was fightin' for. Said somethin' about them Panthers bein' men of honour and virtue and dyin' like all men do."

He shrugged, staring down at his lap.

"Anyway. I left. Got lost. Got chased by a big ol' tusked boar. Scared it off with m' gun. Made it back here." He squeezed Illiiya's hand again, and gave a ghost of his usual grin.

"Guess some o' the gods were lookin' out for me, eh?"
    Games:

=

=

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Someone was... Illiiya said, gratefully. Oddly civil for someone sworn to chaos. Perhaps it isn't the foul one that he serves...

She looked to Pieter, then Leopold... having the sudden realization that she knew little of the human lands and their gods. She had simply assumed that the elven gods held sway here as well. More than that, she had taken for granted that they were superior and worthy more of worship than the deities of a race so much younger and so less advanced in so many ways. But her kind were few and growing fewer.

Pieter... Lothar and Leopold, even... Tell me of your gods. Human gods. Is there perhaps a force you can think of that the green knight serves? She asked suddenly, looking to Pieter as she did, Perhaps he swore an oath to one of yours to FACE the foul one, and he cannot rest until it is done... He may be no enemy of ours at all, but I... well, I know very little of these lands and the beings here who could do such a thing.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

15. - Top - End - #465

Lothar rubbed his jaw, shook his head,.

"No, Ill, he serves the Three-Eyed God, a'right. No doubt about it."
    Games:

=

=

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter listened raptly to Lothar's tale. When Illiiya spoke, he replied: "Need I remind you that it fought on the same side as the daemons? And it couldn't enter Shallya's shrine... Shallya is the Fly Lord's sworn enemy."

He was tempted to educate the sorceress about the gods of the Empire; how often was it that someone asked him about them? But if he got started, he might go on for hours and now was hardly the time to discuss the finer points of theology. Only three gods interested him right now; two of them were on his side.

"I do believe the knight was a pleasant fellow. So was Morsleek when I first met him, all smiles and good manners. Changes nothing to whose side we're on." He frowned. "The knight said it 'promised no one to kill a soldier of the 11th', you say? Strange wording, if you ask me. Seems to imply it promised to kill someone else. Could just be Lord Verloren; it went straight for him at the barrow. As for its 'unfinished business'... Someone else to kill? For whom - the doctor?"

He rubbed his face and realized he badly needed a shave; his stylishly neglected look was now turning into a scruffy look. "I think we should bring Esther up to speed."

Spoiler
    Show
    Note that I meant to send Mrs Hofstadter away just long enough to discuss the cloak. I guess she should be back soon.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-11-27 at 11:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #467

Lothar was touching at his face, wincing and hissing with every movement. His fingers came away red.

"He didn' strike me as the type to work for someone." He paused, wiping fluids on his tattered shirt. "I don' think he's the doctor's patsy. More likely they're both workin' for the Fly Lord, each in their own way. Or the doctor's got his own master."

Lothar coughed, and then swallowed a curse, curling on himself. "Ah, buggery, that hurts. Ah. Um, I dunno if he was after Lord Verloren. Didn' seem to care either way, but it didn' seem that he was done, either."

The wounded man slid to the edge of his table, slowly swinging his legs down. "If you wanna talk to th' lady, feel free. I think I need t' drink a lot of whiskey and lie down."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2012-11-28 at 04:59 PM.
    Games:

=

=

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

But why spare a man then? Illiiya asked, If the foul one commands him, why would he care for mortal allegiances?

Unless it is a cruel mercy. Let him return and linger, only to waste and die of sickness or infection once hope is restored.

No....

The lord of flies would probably drink shattered hope like fine wine. Or worse, place a curse upon him to bring his sickness into a place his vassals cannot step.

No. She said firmly, before seeming to realize she had spoken aloud and that she was gripping Lothar's hand a bit too fiercely, Perhaps he is cursed, yet not controlled? You are right, that makes the most sense. We need to understand his curse, somehow. I... with the lord and Mr. Waite gone, I know not who we can turn to though.... save maybe the doctor. Perhaps we could drag HIM out to the knight's sanctum?
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2012-11-28 at 06:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus shakes his head, 'No. You're not going anywhere near that place again Illiiya. You're not.'

'So Lothar, if you think he has a particular task, do you think the roads are safe?' The hopeful edge to his voice was unmistakeable.
    Sigatar by Me

20. - Top - End - #470

Lothar - slowly, so as not to tear his new stitches - slid from the table to stand unsteadily on his feet. He passed Ithelus the latter's pipe.

"I'd reckon so, what with him tellin' us to get leave off." He hooked the battered remains of his clothing with one hand. "Good advice, I say."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2012-11-29 at 04:46 AM.
    Games:

=

=

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

A look of surprise crossed Leopold's face.

"Wait, what - you're going to leave?"

He didn't sound indignant - just shocked.

"No, no no! If you go, who'll be left?" He addressed his appeal to Lothar. "You said, you said he's not done. He's going to be back."

Swallowing, he tried to gather his arguments.

"If you run, Talberg'll run too. Mils is dead. The villagers, they don't have anywhere to go. The ones who are sick, how can they move them?" He looked to Pieter in hope of support. "They need someone to defend them."

"There's something more to this. You're the only ones who've seen that, right from the start. He has to be here for a reason." He looked round at the whole group. "We can get to the bottom of it. Please. Stay one more day."
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-11-29 at 07:27 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar's offhand comment about leaving came as a shock to Pieter. The thief choosing the easy way out was one thing... but the soldier? He was, in Pieter's mind, the rock on which their group rested.

Can't blame him. He almost died back there.

He was reminded of the high-stakes Dead Queen tournament in Marienburg, some time ago [link]. Just before the final hand was dealt, he had been given the opportunity to walk away with what he had. He refused to take it, lost, and walked away empty-handed. Except that today, if he lost, he might not even walk away at all. This time though, what kept him at the gambling table was not pride, the thrill of the game, some hope to gain more, or even bravery. It was duty. Perhaps with a side of guilt.

"The rest of you do what you like," he sighed. "We've already done a lot, and no one can call us selfish cowards at this point. But for now, I'm staying. Believe me, I'm a survivor at heart; if I didn't sincerely believe we could still make a difference, I'd have run for the hills already."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Run? We can just... run?

Illiiya looked torn for a moment. Fleeing felt wrong somehow. Cowardly. But how could she expect them to stay. Lothar and Ithelus seemed eager to leave, and she was loathe to even CONSIDER being separated from them. Perhaps there was nothing more they could do here. It was hard to admit.

Pieter... Illiiya said, looking to him sadly, then to Ithelus and Lothar I... please do not make me choose whom to abandon. I... I can't do that.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2012-11-30 at 03:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

"Illiiya, listen. I'm staying by my own free will; that's what I'd do whether or not I'd ever crossed paths with you. I wasn't planning to follow the rest of you forever anyway. I can take care of myself, trust me. Do what you think is right."

While he tried not to put pressure on her, Pieter hung on her words - and Lothar's. Whoever made his choice first would likely be choosing for the two of them. And Ithelus would follow.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-11-30 at 11:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #475

Lothar rubbed the back of neck, looking decidedly awkward. He wouldn't meet Leopold's eye, and his gaze shifted between Pieter and Illiiya.

"I need t' lie down."
    Games:

=

=

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus shoots a glare at Pieter. This is a dangerous game you're playing Pieter. The elf takes a drag on the pipe.

'So does anyone have an idea what to do apart from save our lives?' He looks around, 'I mean it seems up till now every plan we have involves someone getting killed.'

Sitting down the elf looks Illiiya right in the eyes. 'Didn't we do our bit in Delbrez. We fought for those guys. Raffy died for Delbrez, and Herr Waite and the Lord died here, and we haven't even stopped anything.'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2012-12-01 at 09:10 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Leopold shifted on his feet. He was evidently trying to come up with something on the spot.

"The doctor," he blurted out, all of a sudden. "We've still got him, right? He must know how this fits together. We just need to make him tell us why he's really here."

He hesitated for a moment in silence, waiting to see if anyone would bite. It was an awkward silence.

"And - and the Flychers, right? They were putting him up. They gave you those pies." He looked over his shoulder, though the door was closed. "Everyone's always known Bernhardt Flycher's stranger than a Stirland fish." He paused again, a lone point of energy in the listless room.

"...alright, look, maybe we don't have much to go on... but the point is, it can't just be him. It can't just be the knight." He paused again. "If it was just him, then what's he waiting for? What's he been waiting for, all this time? There has to be something he needs, some... weakness or something." He pointed to the door. "As long as he's still hiding out in the trees, he can't have won yet."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Leopold's insistence almost made Pieter smile. The hardened Delberz Four were weary and disheartened, and it was up to the miller's son to whip them into action. And he would follow them into the thick of things, too, even though he barely knew how to hold a sword. Pieter promised himself to make sure Leopold made it out alive; he was too good to die.

"Questioning the doctor was on my list... let's hope he'll prove more cooperative than yesterday. I hadn't thought about visiting the Flychers, but it's a good idea, too. Illiiya, I know how much you want to watch over Lothar, but I think we'll need you. You have... a way with people." He grinned crookedly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeson View Post
    Ithelus shoots a glare at Pieter. This is a dangerous game you're playing Pieter.
    What is?
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-12-01 at 12:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

We don't know what. That's the problem. Illiiya said, shoulders slumped, The doctor... the poisoned pies... Ester... the tomb underneath the tree... We don't know how they all tie together, if even they all do.

Illiiya looked to Pieter, and gave a firm shake of her head.

No. Daemons have appeared in town once before, and I will NOT take that chance. She insisted, NONE of us should be alone. Least of all someone badly hurt who cannot well defend himself.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2012-12-01 at 12:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480

"Hey," Lothar protested. "I can defend myself just fine."
    Games:

=

=