New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart (II)

Ithelus kept his silence for a while. 'I guess there are ways of making the Doctor talk...' He smiles at Leopald, 'If that's truly what you want to do.'
    Sigatar by Me

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

"Suit yourself, Illiiya," said Pieter, disappointed. "Lothar, you get all the rest you can. Healer's orders."

Quote Originally Posted by Exeson View Post
    'I guess there are ways of making the Doctor talk...' He smiles at Leopald, 'If that's truly what you want to do.'
    "We... uh... should start with intimidation," said Pieter, shifting uncomfortably. The Elf's eager smile was very disturbing. "And maybe let him think we'll free him if he cooperates."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "We... uh... should start with intimidation," said Pieter, shifting uncomfortably. The Elf's eager smile was very disturbing. "And maybe let him think we'll free him if he cooperates."
    'I know a very good story about a certain Sergeant from Delbrez. Perhaps we should tell him that story?'

Ithelus sits down as he takes another drag from the pipe. 'Whatever we do we should get this done, and soon. '
    Sigatar by Me

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Ithelus can make him talk. Illiiya said with no irony in her voice, If the doctor is smart, and wishes to live, he'll be more afraid of the man who shot him than me.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

"...Yeah," said Leopold, dubiously. He seemed more than a little disconcerted by the look Ithelus had given him. "I think the villagers might remember that too, though. Are you sure they'd let you in there on your own?"

He paused. Was he trying to back out?

"Maybe it'd be best if I went up the manor first. I - I could tell Esther what's happened, talk to her about the doctor. You could check out the Flychers."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd like to talk to Esther, too," said Pieter. "I've got a question or two of my own."

And she knows she'd better be honest with me.

He glanced sideways at Ithelus and realized he did not trust the Elf to interrogate the Flychers alone; he had shot the doctor, and who could guess what he might do this time? "We can do one after the other, really. The Flychers, then Esther. Ith - after the Flychers, you could take a look at Mother Yilese's shack. I need some new medical supplies. And who knows if Yilese knew something we didn't about the barrow..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus glances suspiciously at Pieter. 'Didn't the wizard already take a look there? I doubt I'd find anything he didn't. And I don't even know what I'm looking for.'

The elf tilts his head to one side, his ignorance of the situation obviously feigned, 'You could always go look in her shack whilst the rest of us go to the manor.'
    Sigatar by Me

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Suppressing a frustrated sigh, Pieter wearily ran his hand through his tousled hair. It seemed to him that they had had to drag the Elf along every step of the way since leaving Delberz.

"Alright, I'll search it myself afterwards. Didn't mean to add to your already heavy burden of responsibility." He gave the thief a cool, steady look. "As for the doctor, I'd rather have one last shot at trickery before we get down to intimidation or... worse. If you're around, it might just send mixed messages; you'd work better as a last resort. I hope you understand that."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Ithelus' answer was a moody silence. Waiting for a moment or two to see if the contest of wills would go any further, Pieter seemed satisfied that it was settled.

"Alright then," said Leopold, injecting a brittle, up-beat note into the tone of the conversation. "The Flychers, then?" He paused. "I'm coming too."

Outside, the sky was turning a bright, cold grey, the warm colours of morning dissipating with the rising of the sun. The earth of the village's main road squelched slightly underfoot, still damp from yesterday's rain. The wind was rich with the loamy smell of the woods - for the first time, that somehow seemed sinister.

Up on the hill, Pieter could see the tower of Verloren Manor poking its roof above its screen of trees: there was a light in the window, its yellow glow just visible in this wan daylight. The village below hardly seemed alive: the odd soul shuffled quietly between the silent cottages. A trio of children were playing unsupervised in the mud of Faulebrand's yard - aside from what might have been a gathering of men at the foot of the Manor hill, they were the largest group of people in sight.

In the quiet of the morning, the Flychers' house seemed to stick out from its neighbours less than Pieter remembered. When he had first seen the leaning old place, with its split beams and peeling sign, it had seemed to him that it would have been more at home on the streets of Helstrum's Ward than out among these rural fields. Now, the atmosphere of the village had sunk to match its gloom.

The windows were dark. Giving the place a sideways, suspicious kind of look, Leopold advanced to the front door and knocked. It was a full minute before anyone replied.

Very slowly, the door opened, just a crack. Mrs Flycher's face appeared in the gap.

"You ain't Bernhardt," she said, in a small voice. She paused. "We got nothing t'sell. Come back later."

Moving slowly, she began to close the door again...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter put his boot in the doorstep to keep the door from closing on him. The movement was quick, almost aggressive, but the initiate's expression was as soft and nonthreatening as possible. He remembered the rumors about Mr Flycher; Ellie said he was a tyrant to his wife. His absence may work to their advantage, but only if they played their hand well.

"Ma'am," he said quietly, bowing his head. "We have a couple questions about the doctor's stay that need answering now. Your husband will never hear of our visit, you have my word."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

"No," she said, her voice a squeak as she recoiled like a mouse from the sudden intrusion of Pieter's boot. "No questions."

Drawing the door back a little, she gave it a couple of sharp slams. It hurt quite a lot.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Toughness test (at +10) for Pieter to keep his foot in the door.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter winced in pain, but Mrs Flycher's determination to keep the door closed only convinced him that she had something important to hide.

"Please," he pleaded, "you know full well - ow! - that the village's in danger, and--"

Spoiler
    Show
    Target 51: (d100)[69]

Cursing, he took his boot out of the doorstep before the crazy woman broke his foot. The door slammed shut.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-12-07 at 07:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus actually chuckled a bit. 'See Pieter, these stupid humans don't want our help. I'd say we just let them die but I know that is not going to happen.'

Stalking around the house he began to scan the building for points of entry. 'Looks like we do this my way now, unless you'd like your other foot broken?'

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus will look for any other windows or doors that would be easily reachable. Even if he has to pick the lock. If he does need to pick the lock he will ask Pieter to go knock on the door again to distract her whilst he does it.

Oh, and crossbow loaded.
    Sigatar by Me

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Leopold looked a little disconcerted by Ithelus' words.

"Maybe if she sees a familiar face," he said, by way of an alternative. Stepping up to the door again, he knocked hard - no answer, however, came from within.

Pacing around the outside of the house, Ithelus sized up the ports of entry. There was the upstairs window through which he had broken into Doctor Reifennen's room before, although to repeat that little trick in broad daylight seemed like an invitation for awkward questions from onlookers. There was no hanging to distract people this time.

Round the back of the house, there was a ramshackle fence enclosing a small, muddy yard. It held nothing but a dull old axe and a chipped chopping-block, made out of a cylindrical piece of tree-stump. By the look of the old stains that had seeped into the wood, the block had seen a great many animals depart this world. On the wall facing the yard, there was a low-lintelled back door.

Some way to the left, a mossy old pile of unshaped stones and crumbling mortar supported a weathered cellar door, slanted so it was almost level with the ground. A length of rusted old chain had been wound through its handles, and secured with a lock that was almost as rusty. A couple of sharp axe-blows would probably break the lock with ease.
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-12-08 at 05:14 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus stalked over to the cellar lock to inspect it more closely. Breaking it with the axe was definitely an option, but if the lock was in a condition where it was not pickable then there was most likely nothing of interest. 'Leopold, you keep a look out right, let me know if someone is coming.'
    Sigatar by Me

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus actually chuckled a bit. 'See Pieter, these stupid humans don't want our help. I'd say we just let them die but I know that is not going to happen.'
    Damn right it isn't. But by all means, do whatever you want.

Pieter did not reply out loud, but made a mental note to have a serious discussion with Lothar and Illiiya later. By this point, he did not put it past Ithelus to deliberately sabotage their welcome in Hohlesbruck.

'Leopold, you keep a look out right, let me know if someone is coming.'
    Pieter shook his head at Leopold and pointed at the door; they had to keep distracting Mrs Flycher, or she might suspect they were up to something.

"I'm begging you, Mrs Flycher," he pleaded, knocking more urgently than last time to keep her attention focused on him. "Whatever you can tell us is worth more than you think. I can pay... I have plenty of gold."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

There was no reply from inside. Mrs Flycher had retreated back behind the door like a hermit crab into its shell.

Around the back, Ithelus inspected the padlock on the cellar door. It was heavy and rusty, which probably meant the working parts would be stiff. Still, it was a crude enough piece of work - nothing like the stuff you saw the city locksmiths turning out these days. Hardly a challenge for a professional.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rules translation: Pick Lock tests to open the padlock are at +20
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Cursing, Ithelus moves away from the lock to have a look at the back door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, things have been... interesting for me lately. Same thing with the back door, have a look at the lock and then pick it.
    Sigatar by Me

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

The back door too was locked, this time with an old iron keyhole that was built into the door. The Flychers' house was locked up tight, for country folk. Then again, after the debacle with Ribault, perhaps that just proved the butcher was wiser than this neighbours.

This lock was more frequently used, and Ithelus' picks could find purchase where the parts of the old padlock had been too stiff on the cellar door. With a few deft movements, he had slipped silently inside.

He found himself in a part of the house separated from the main room out in front by a wooden wall. There were a pair of muddy old boots sitting by the door, and a wooden peg without a coat to hold. In the far corner sat a bucket and a collection of rusty tools; round to his right, an opening without a door led into the main space.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently check if you want to move silently, please. Perception if you want to try to locate Mrs Flycher by sound alone from where you stand now.

Instantly alert, Ithelus thought he heard the sound of movement from the main room around the corner - perhaps a woman's breathing. Taking a few silent steps forward, he screwed his eyes shut and stifled a curse as the door slipped off its latch behind him, closing the last couple of inches with a noticeable clunk.

"Hello?" called Mrs Flycher's voice. She sounded frightened. "Is someone there?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-12-17 at 07:44 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus brings the crossbow up to his shoulder but remains where he is.

'Mrs Flycher? Very silly of you to leave the door open like that, you don't know what manner of criminal could get in.' He pauses for a second, 'So you have a choice, you can have a polite conversation with my friends or you can have one with me... I know which one the Doctor would have preferred.'

He slowly walked backwards and re-opened the door, glancing out to make sure that Pieter and Leopold could still see him.
    Sigatar by Me

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Pieter and Leopold were still round the front. Somewhere in the main room, Ithelus heard a scuttling, stumbling noise. It sounded like Mrs Flycher jumping out of her skin.

"Pl - please, master elf, I don't want trouble," she squeaked. Her voice was still coming from somewhere behind the dirty wooden wall to which Ithelus had his back, but it was so quiet as to be barely audible. "Please, jus' leave us be."
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-12-27 at 06:32 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter had his ear pressed against the door when it opened inwards, making him jump in surprise. Ranald's teeth, that Elf was more silent - even when it was not necessary - than anyone had any right to be. Was he doing it out of habit, or showing off?

The initiate nodded gratefully to Ithelus, closed the door behind him and Leopold, and gave Mrs Flycher a hard look. "I'm not sure you fully understand the situation, Mrs Flycher. We fear the very survival of Hohlesbruck is at stake. But we're not here to make accusations; we only need a few answers, and we won't leave until we have them."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Mrs Flycher was backed against the wall, looking up in terror at the figure of the elf who had broken into her home. Pieter immediately noticed the rack of butcher's tools - hooks and cleavers and other fearsome implements - a little way to the woman's left. By her terrified body language, however, the thought of reaching for them had not even crossed her mind.

"I can't tell you anything," she mumbled. "Don't know nothing. Bernhardt said he weren't gone long. He'll come back. He'll see."

Standing behind Pieter, Leopold glanced back over his shoulder at the door. There was no sign of the butcher, yet.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

'Mrs Flycher,' Ithelus begins as he advances into the room, 'You're husband is a frightening man. I know he does things to you, puts the fear of the Gods into you. But Mrs Flycher, I promise you the Devil you do know is better than the one you don't. Now my associate Pieter here, he's a good lad, he won't lay a finger on you. I, however, have no real worries about that, so please talk to him in a calm manner.'

Ithelus leans against the wall, his crossbow still trained vaguely in the poor woman's direction and an evil smile creeps over his face. 'There was a man in Delbrez once, who made me pay an ear tax. Well, I tied him up, stabbed him with a sword and left it there so that the blood attracted a swarm of rats who then ate him alive.' Mrs Flycher did not need to know that he was embellishing the facts slightly.
    Sigatar by Me

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter pursed his lips. He hated to frighten an already terrified woman; it made him feel like a bully, persecuting the weak. But too much was at stake. Mrs Flycher did not seem to understand it, but she had far bigger problems than a violent husband. Had she not heard of the massacre at the barrow? Did she really believe, at this point, that she could them to shrug, leave and go ask someone else? The initiate had no more patience for ignorant people and their small, prosaic fears.

Is this how Jagrun felt all the time?

He did not join the Elf in threatening Mrs Flycher, but neither did he seek to placate him. This reminded him of the interrogation method used by the Nuln city guards who had caught him stealing, when he was thirteen. Except that this time, the criminals had become the guards. Let Ithelus be the bad guard; Pieter would be the good guard.

"Enough." His voice was soft, but firm. "Clearly you know something worth hiding, and the more you deny, the more curious we get. If you keep your mouth shut, we'll just wait for your husband and ask him. So if you want us to leave before he's back, please be cooperative. Was your husband in on Dr Reifennen's plot?"

Maybe not the good guard after all... Just the better one.

Spoiler
    Show
    But Mrs Flycher, I promise you the Devil you do know is better than the one you don't.
    The daemon, you mean.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Eyes fixed on the elf, Mrs Flycher scuttled out from under his stare like a crab, her back still to the wall. Her gaze flicked to one side just long enough to check her path before she fled a few steps more, putting the bulk of the butchers' work table between herself and the intruders.

Ithelus' words seemed to have had the opposite effect from what he desired - she seemed barely able to speak. The look of high-strung terror on the little woman's face seemed to relax just a fraction as Pieter spoke, but no more than that. She was still tense as a rat, ready to run.

"Bernhardt won't tell," she said, her voice still constricted. "Bernhardt won't tell you noth... nothing." She swallowed. "You don't... know him."

"I've heard some things," contributed Leopold, levelly.

The woman's eyes flicked to the open door behind them, the pale tip of her tongue nervously touching her lips.

"Not here," she said, at last. "Not now. Later, where he can't see." The thought seemed to grow behind her eyes. "When it's dark. At..."

She paused, thinking hard.

"At the mill."

She straightened up a little, stepping back from the table.

"I promise." Once again, her eyes darted to the door. "Please, you have to go."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter let out a slow breath. He felt pity for the poor woman; perhaps he just did not have the stomach for this. But if even the Elf who had publicly shot a murderous doctor in the leg did not frighten Mrs Flycher as much as her own husband, there was more to this than they suspected. They had no right to make her talk and then abandon her to her husband's mercy; she seemed to think he might kill her, and she might even be right.

He turned to Leopold and Ithelus. "I trust her to come," he said shortly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Leopold looked a little disappointed that there would be no immediate payoff from the lead he had suggested. Still, he seemed no more comfortable than Pieter with terrorising the poor woman further, and between Ithelus' menacing words and the promise of the butcher's return, the potential for the situation to get out of hand was rising.

"Alright," said Leopold, addressing Mrs Flycher. "Alright. We'll be there. As soon as it gets dark." He hesitated, wavering between sympathy and suspicion. The latter won out. "There are lives at stake, Mrs Flycher. If more die - if you could have saved them - I hope you're ready to answer for this delay."

Closing the front door softly behind the two humans, Ithelus gestured that they should leave by the back door. The elf kept quiet, but as they left his dark eyes lingered on the butcher's wife. They seemed much more menacing than Leopold's words.

Outside, Leopold brushed some dust from his sleeve.

"So," he said, keeping his voice quiet. "What next?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter began to stride away from the Flychers' house as soon as he was out, not wanting the butcher to see them nearby if he came back within the minute. "Next, the manor. I need a talk with Lady Verloren, and possibly the doctor too."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-01-01 at 11:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Hurrying on, the three of them put some distance between themselves and the ramshackle Flycher house. The sun had heaved itself higher in the sky, but still Hohlesbruck showed no sign of coming to life – the place was like a ghost town. Up on the roof of the mill, the black head of a sentry was just visible, the windmill's sails still locked and motionless.

It was not the mill they were headed for. Up on the hill behind its veil of trees, the manor waited.

Lothar & Illiiya

In the common room of the Heartless Man, Lothar had stirred his weary limbs enough to find kindling for a fire. Sitting before the hearth with a blanket around his shoulders, he could feel the warmth creeping back into his bones. It was a slow process.

Apart from Lothar and Illiiya, the place was deserted. Stools and benches that had been polished smooth by the arses of generations stood empty. Tables were left unoccupied, the only sign of their use the odd unwashed tankard left to stand. That wasn't like the Hofstadters, from what the soldier had seen of them – but then, they were hardly themselves at the moment.

Slowly, a sound beside the crackle of the fire began to make itself heard. For a moment, Lothar thought the wind was rising again, remembering the rainy gusts that had swept the clearing around the barrow – but Illiiya's hearing was keener. Somewhere deeper in the inn, someone was crying.

Pieter & Ithelus

The light in the tower of the manor had gone out, its windows dark and foreboding as the party of three approached. Looking at its stark stone walls, Pieter found himself wondering how well the old place might keep out the knight. It had protected the village from raiders in the past, but its best days were long behind it. Those high walls and narrow windows had been little defence against Ribault.

Leopold knocked, and silence answered. After a minute or more, one of the great doors creaked open a little way.

The servant who had answered them was not Mrs Lauf, but a man on the declining slope of middle age. He wore a rather tatty-looking apron, and seemed not to have shaved in a couple of days. Seeing Leopold, he ducked his head in a sloppy kind of bow.

“Can I help you gents?”

Behind him, the cavernous space of the great hall looked dark and empty.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb