New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart (II)

Ithelus dipped his head to the man. 'Why, yes you can, we seek to speak to the Lady if she is free? And perhaps a little chat with the Doctor.'
    Sigatar by Me

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus & Pieter

"Him down below?" asked the man. "I can't speak for the doctor, but I'll see if I can find the mistress for you." He opened the door wide enough to let them in. "You fellows wait here."

Once they had filed inside, he pushed the door laboriously shut. "Make yourselves at home," he said, glumly. "Nice to see you, master Leopold."

Shuffling away without further pleasantries, the man exited through a door at the back of the hall, leaving the three of them alone. The brown, faded paintings and the snarling beast-skull trophy looked sternly down at them. His eyes straying to the great painting of Mils and his late wife at the top of the stairs, Ithelus realised that the lord of the manor had been the last of the painters' subjects left alive. All the paintings were of dead people now.

After a short while, Esther emerged from somewhere in the back of the house. Pieter caught a glimpse of the servant's face as he let her into the hall, but the man remained behind as she approached them.

"Leopold," she said, a rather less formal greeting than Pieter was accustomed to. "Mr Hagen." The lord's daughter was wearing dusty black, in mourning for her father. The veil was still there, obscuring the detail of her face.

"Has something else happened?" She sounded apprehensive. "Forgive me, Mr Hagen, but I've come to associate you with bad news."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a space of about a minute between Gundred leaving and reappearing with Esther. If you want to speak more to him before he goes or try to sneak off into the house in the interlude, feel free - I'll edit.
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-02 at 08:54 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "Has something else happened?" She sounded apprehensive. "Forgive me, Mr Hagen, but I've come to associate you with bad news."
    Pieter chuckled mirthlessly. "Understandable. This time it's a mixed bag; Mr Fischer came back, severely injured but still in one piece and in possession of some knowledge about our enemy, but we've had no news from Hans Suster yet." He grew grave. "We can also confirm that your father... is deceased. Sorry to break it to you so bluntly, but I'm told it's easier to mourn a dead person than a missing one. You have my condolences." He was sincere, too, despite not liking Esther much.

His tone suggested there was more, but he waited for the first news to sink in.

Spoiler
    Show
    aside from what might have been a gathering of men at the foot of the Manor hill, they were the largest group of people in sight.
    Did we pass near them on the way to the manor? Any chance to hear what it's about?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"I... hadn't thought there was any doubt when you first told me," said Esther. There was a long silence. "I am glad your friend is alive."

The old, slightly moth-eaten mourner's clothes she wore testified to the truth of her words. Beyond that, it was difficult to tell how much she was affected by the mention of her father: her voice was quiet, and the veil hid all subtleties of expression. It seemed the Verloren reserve ran true.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The group at the foot of the hill have dispersed by the time you emerge from the Flychers'.
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-02 at 12:11 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya stared idly into the fire, seated close to Lothar as if losing contact with him would make him disappear again. The few times she did move, it was to get him water or alcohol to kill the pain in his eye. Even then, she seemed genuinely scared to leave his side.

I... I didn't break down. She told him softly, almost as if she were confessing of a guilty heart, When I thought you were... gone. I wanted to. But I knew that you would want me to be strong. What I truly wished to do, I knew you would no-

Illiiya's head perked up, and she glanced off deeper into the inn. Her eyes narrowed, and a weary sigh escaped her as she stood, glancing to Lothar for a moment. She seemed hesitant to leave his side, or release his hand.

I think the illness has finally taken him. She said somberly, Please... please stay right here while I see?
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Ithelus

"I'll get down to immediate business, if you don't mind," said Pieter apologetically. "At the barrow, we found the banner of the company the knight was part of. It's the same company as the late Anhame's." He shrugged. "Do you think this is in any way strange or meaningful, or was this company simply in charge of this particular area?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The group at the foot of the hill have dispersed by the time you emerge from the Flychers'.
    Dang. Hate that feeling that I missed something that'll be important later.

Bear with me while I remember what else I was supposed to talk about with Esther.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"Reinhardt?" asked Esther, taken aback.

"There were... many soldiers here, when the war started," she said, collecting her thoughts. "Reinhardt's company, Ricard's... some, um, footsoldiers too. Father said the Graf was using Hohlesbruck as a staging point against someone called the One-Eye." She paused. "When the spring came, they marched away. I don't know where."

She looked into Pieter's eyes. "Reinhardt carried the company banner. He was their standard bearer." Another pause. "How did you know it was his?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Common Knowledge (The Empire) or Common Knowledge (War) checks can be made to recognise who "The One-Eye" is. I think Ithelus is from the Middenland (?) in which case he can have a +20 bonus.
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-02 at 07:04 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Ithelus

"How did you know it was his?"

"Talberg recognized it." It was a simplified version of the truth, but it would do. "What's more, the banner was inside the barrow, laid out on the wall... and as far as we could gather, the only knight who entered the barrow was the one who took the cursed sword in desperation, the sword Mr Waite was supposed to retrieve." Pieter paused, watching Esther intently, unable to guess how she might react. "I believe the dead knight we fought was... used to be Anhame."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remind me, is it Reinhardt Anhame or Anhame Reinhardt?

Common Knowledge (The Empire) 57: (d100)[1] - Edit: Pity we can't save these results for rolls where degrees of success actually matter.

I do know, OOC, who the One-Eye is. As for Pieter, he appears to have read his unabridged autobiography.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-01-02 at 07:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus & Pieter

Esther looked at Pieter in silence, then turned to Leopold for confirmation. Leopold made no move to contradict his newfound friend.

"How..." she began, then began again. "How could that be true?" The idea clearly distressed her, perhaps more than Pieter would have anticipated. "Reinhardt was an honourable man. He wouldn't do those things."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remind me, is it Reinhardt Anhame or Anhame Reinhardt?
    Reinhardt Anhame.

And I do know, OOC, who the One-Eye is.
    Then I don't need to tell you . But I'll post a picture! Because I can.

Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm sure he was," said Pieter softly. "But that thing was no mortal, only a pawn of the Plague Lord; it merely used Anhame's body as its vessel. Lothar drove his sword straight through its heart and it just kept fighting. This said... if it comes to the village, I wonder if you might be better suited than us at reasoning with it, but I'm reluctant to put you in such danger. The thing we fought knew no mercy."

He scratched his growing stubble thoughtfully. "I'd like to know what it'll do next, but it's hard to anticipate. There appears to be a link between it and the doctor, yet it never directly tried to free him..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Then I don't need to tell you . But I'll post a picture! Because I can.

Sexy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

“No. No, that can't be true.” Esther took a step back. Her voice was fraught. “It was Waite who disturbed the mound. What does that have to do with us? What does that have to do with me?

From somewhere out of sight, there came a low, soft moan. For a moment, Pieter thought it was a human voice – then he realised it was the timbers of the manor, creaking as they settled.

“You have to go,” said Esther, suddenly and firmly. Leopold looked surprised.

“Esther -”

“Now. Please.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

“No. No, that can't be true.” Esther took a step back. Her voice was fraught. “It was Waite who disturbed the mound. What does that have to do with us? What does that have to do with me?
    "That knight was butchering people before we ever went near the mound," Pieter pointed out patiently, growing more and more irritated with Esther's state of denial. "As far as we can tell, the evil was awoken by Anhame months ago, the day he died. But whoever caused it, we're the ones who have to--"

He jumped a bit when the walls creaked.

"--deal with it."

“You have to go,” said Esther, suddenly and firmly.
    A burst of rage flared inside Pieter, swallowing what was left of his sympathy for the newly orphaned noblewoman. Hiding from your problems again, thinking they'll go away? he wanted to spit out. People are dying because of you; because you tried to destroy that letter, as if apathy was the best way to avoid trouble. But he refrained from saying it out loud. Leopold was fond of Esther, and it might devastate him to know that she had been Dr Reifennen's tacit accomplice.

"Go where, may I ask?" he said coolly. "Your people are in danger as we speak. Ranald's teeth, you have responsibilities. I, for one, owe Hohlesbruck nothing, yet here I still am. If only I knew what to do next..."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mostly stalling to let Ithelus and possibly Leopold intervene, because Pieter has been the only one talking. I also suspect, OOC, that something is about to happen.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-01-03 at 07:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"Go where, may I ask?" he said coolly. "Your people are in danger as we speak. Ranald's teeth, you have responsibilities. I, for one, owe Hohlesbruck nothing, yet here I still am. If only I knew what to do next..."
    Pieter could see his words had struck a nerve. Perhaps Esther wasn't accustomed to being lectured by commoners, perhaps it was something else - whatever it was, her response was startlingly fierce.

"Then what do you want from me?"

Leopold looked shocked. It was the first time Esther had really raised her voice.

"People are sick. Do you want me to heal them? The damage is done." For a moment, her voice sounded like it might break. "Do you think Verlorens have royal blood, that we can cure the plague with our touch?"

Reaching up with a sudden motion, she lifted her veil. She looked straight at Pieter, face to ruined face.

"My father listened to Waite, when he said we had to act. Half the men of the village went with him, and now they're dead." She held Pieter's gaze. "Do you want me to send the other half? Do you want me to ride out myself to search for this - this daemon you say can't be killed?" There was a beat. "Or did you only come to torment me?"

"Esther, he's just trying to help," began Leopold. He was hesitant - the sight of Esther's scars seemed to trouble him. "If the knight really is Reinhardt..."

"Reinhardt would not... would not have killed my father," said Esther, having to force the words out of her throat. "If you say the creature... wears... his body, then how is that different from if it wears his armour, or his sword? It gives us nothing." Her voice had returned to its usual volume. "Just one more good man to mourn."

She seemed genuinely affected. Biting her lip, she looked down, then looked at Pieter again.

"I am the last of the Verlorens. My ancestors have held this land since the time of the Three Emperors." From the high walls, those ancestors' cracked and faded faces glowered down their patrician noses at the intruder. "I know my responsibilities. I know what we will do. We will endure, as Hohlesbruck has for a thousand years."

She breathed out.

"You owe us nothing, and I ask nothing from you. The road is open. If the rider follows, perhaps you can impress him with your knowledge. At least you'll draw him away from us."

Illiiya & Lothar

Lothar nodded quietly. Something about the stifled sobs seemed to make him very uncomfortable.

Creeping through the door at the back of the bar, Illiiya pushed open the door to the landlords' den. There, Hanna Hoftstadter was crying softly into her hands, beside her husband's bed. The pale and clammy figure beneath the blankets looked very still.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Calling the two-day rule on Brenton. Chris, it's all you!
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-04 at 01:37 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya entered the room, making enough noise in the process that the woman should know another was here. She looked on awkwardly... comforting the grieving was not something she knew how to do. Loss was something she understood exceptionally well of late, but how to help another cope with it? She drew up empty.

Mrs. Hoftstadter? She said softly, seeking the woman's attention. I am sorry...

She took a soft step towards the woman, stopping as she gave another glance to the still form beneath the sheets. She felt no shame at all in her wariness of THIS departed soul. Chaos had ways of... lingering.

Will you.... come with me? She asked as comfortingly as she was able. Perhaps you should not... be here... right now.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya won't be checking that body, but I'd imagine the wind of death hangs heavy over a recently departed soul... might she be able to guess that he passed with Witch-sight? Even if she can't, she's going to assume based on how the woman is acting, but I'd just like to know if she has further evidence to support the same conclusion.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Mrs Hofstadter didn't rise.

"He was never sickly," she said. Her voice was raw and hoarse. "Always a healthy man. Nothin' more'n a sniffle in winter."

There was a long silence.

"It came on so fast..."

She sobbed again, and the sob turned into a cough. The cough began to breed, and she lowered her head, covering her mouth with a hand as her body shook.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya won't be checking that body, but I'd imagine the wind of death hangs heavy over a recently departed soul... might she be able to guess that he passed with Witch-sight?
    Yes indeed. Sorry, should have thought of that myself, what with Illiiya's growing specialisation.

The Wind of Death is thick over the bed. It is exactly as Illiiya would expect.
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-05 at 08:20 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya recoiled as the woman began to cough.

You... need to leave this room... right now. She said in a wary tone, taking a step back as she spoke, Or it may claim you too.

She refused to go any closer to the pair... instead backing for the door, as if the thick pallor of death in the air would rise and seize her at any moment. Or perhaps merely the corpse itself.

Mrs Hofstadter, please... There is nothing more you can do for him here.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Slowly, the coughing died down. Hanna put one hand out to steady herself against the edge of the bed as she rose to her feet. Illiiya noticed it shook a little.

"Got to tell people," she said, turning towards the door. In the gloom of the poorly-lit room, there was something Illiiya found unpleasant about the sight of the woman's pale face coming towards her. "Get mister Faulebrand to get some men together for a... a proper burial..."

The words broke up. She could say nothing more.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Ithelus

Pieter looked down. "I'm... I'm sorry, I..." He sighed. "I guess I expected you to know something we didn't and have a use for the news I brought. If you need time on your own, which is understandable, we can rely on Talberg to run things; people seem to respect him. But for now I'm not sure what to do next except keep an eye out."

He began to move towards the door. "Sooner or later, you'll have to decide what to do about the doctor. Incidentally, we need to speak with him again, if it poses no problem."

Of course, he intended to speak with him whether or not it posed a problem, but it was more polite to ask.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-01-05 at 06:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Pieter looked down. "I'm... I'm sorry, I..." He sighed. "I guess I expected you to know something we didn't and have a use for the news I brought. If you need time on your own, which is understandable, we can rely on Talberg to run things; people seem to respect him. But for now I'm not sure what to do next except keep an eye out."
    Pieter's words didn't seem to endear him to Esther any further.

"The Verlorens are masters of Hohlesbruck, not the Talbergs." She paused. "I will be fine, thank you."

He began to move towards the door. "Sooner or later, you'll have to decide what to do about the doctor. Incidentally, we need to speak with him again, if it poses no problem."
    She paused for a moment. Was she considering her options?

"I'm afraid it does," she said, suddenly. "I have asked you to leave, Mr Hagen."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #530
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyAngel View Post
    I... I didn't break down. She told him softly, almost as if she were confessing of a guilty heart, When I thought you were... gone. I wanted to. But I knew that you would want me to be strong. What I truly wished to do, I knew you would no-

Illiiya's head perked up, and she glanced off deeper into the inn. Her eyes narrowed, and a weary sigh escaped her as she stood, glancing to Lothar for a moment. She seemed hesitant to leave his side, or release his hand.
    Lothar looked up and her, squeezing her hand gently. "You done good," he said quietly - more of a mutter. He had scarcely stirred since wrapping himself in blankets and setting the fire. About his other arm he had wrapped the shredded cloak of the plague knight and was shredding the cloth nervously with the hand.

I think the illness has finally taken him. She said somberly, Please... please stay right here while I see?
    Lothar nodded silently, but a moment after Illiiya moved away he suddenly, unsteadily, rose. He bit his lower lip and discarded both blanket and cloak in one movement.

"No," he said to the empty room. "No, I should be with you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ha, I didn't realise it'd been two days and Pip moved us forward. MY BAD. Still, this works.
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2013-01-06 at 05:48 AM.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya recoiled from the woman slightly, looking as if she would bolt for the door at any moment. She felt torn between her concern for the woman, and her wariness of the corruption that had resided in her husband spreading to her. How long had she been at his bedside? How easily could illness have slipped into her body.

I will spread the word. Illiiya bargained, still keeping her distance, You should go someplace quiet and rest. You do not look well.

It was not until she heard the sounds of Lothar approaching that panic filled her voice. He was still injured, in no shape to deal with sickness... let alone one so foul. She imagined the horror of having him back from the dead, only to see him wither away under the same sickness that Wulli had.

That could happen still. How long was he within the knight's clutches? He could be the means to corrupt the entire village.

No! She said suddenly, fear audible in her voice. C-come no closer. Please. Just... just go upstairs to rest Mrs. I will... I will handle everything.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2013-01-08 at 12:28 AM.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Ithelus

Esther's refusal to let them speak to Reifennen was of interest to Pieter. Did she still have something to hide about her deal with the doctor? If she was concerned about Hohlesbruck, why deny them access to the one who knew the most about the threat hanging over the village?

I lied for you last night, Esther, but that lie can still be unmade. You think you rule the village, yet you have no gold, no soldiers, no allies in high places. You have only as much power as your people agree to give you. Give me an hour and a reason to do so, and I can take it all away.

Aloud he said, coolly: "As you wish. We'll make the best of what we already know, then." He walked over to the door and turned to Ithelus and Leopold. "Anything else?" he asked them.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-01-06 at 08:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya & Lothar

Mrs Hofstadter stopped at Illiiya's words. She was perhaps a little too beside herself to piece together the cause of Illiiya's alarm, but she acquiesced easily enough. Putting out a hand to steady herself, she sank back into the chair.

"I'll... stay here, then," she said. Her eyes strayed back to the bed. "Someone oughter watch over him."

She gave a single, dry cough and looked back at Illliiya.

"Thank you."
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-06 at 09:53 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #534

Lothar approached quietly. He touched Illiiya on the back of her right arm, leaning in.

"Everything all right?" He paused, looking over the elf at the stillness of the shrouded figure. "Oh."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2013-01-07 at 08:26 AM.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

He's... passed. Illiiya told Lothar in a soft whisper, And I believe she is sick now. You need t... WE need to keep away from her and the body.

She watched the woman as she spoke in hushed tones, seeming far more wary than compassionate over her loss.

Come with me please... and.... bring word to the village folk. She said far more aloud, tugging firmly on Lothar's hand to lead him from the room.

26. - Top - End - #536

There was no need for Illiiya to tug - Lothar had already stepped backwards by instinct. Nodding a little too fast, he left the room far more rapidly than he had entered.
    Games:

=

=

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus had remained silent throughtout the arguement, he knew that anyhting he had to say would only make things worse. However, the refusal to speak to the Doctor touched a nerve.

'You are right, Lady, you do indeed rule this place. However I wonder how difficult it is to stay in power. Such a trusted figure such as the Doctor, such a noble profession... I wonder what he has offered for his freedom? surely he must have tried to make some deal after being so violently and unjustly attacked and imprisoned.'

Ithelus bows his head, 'We merely ask again to speak with him, we will not be in your presence unless you chose to accompany us. However, turn us away if you like and we will leave. Just know that my patience with this little village is growing thin and we will speak to the doctor somehow, with or without your consent.'
    Sigatar by Me

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Esther's face betrayed no change of feeling. It was Leopold's expression, Pieter noticed, that seemed to transform - something about the elf's thinly veiled threat shocked him far more than when they had used the same tactics against Mrs Flycher.

Ithelus' attention was not on the miller's son. Looking up under the brim of his hat, he was watching Esther. She had still said nothing, but Ithelus' keen eyes spotted the nails of her left hand digging into her palm. When you played Five Knives often enough, you learned to spot people's tells.

"Alright," she said, after a long, long silence. "You want to speak to the doctor? You shall." She paused, seeming to consider her words carefully. "We'll put the matter to rest. But you will take no weapons with you."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Careful, Ith. Don't make an enemy out of her.

Still, there was no denying that it had worked.

"Sounds fair to me," said Pieter placatingly, though the noblewoman was in no position to disarm them should they refuse. "We won't need them anyway. Where shall we leave them?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"Here. You can collect them on the way out."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb