New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart (II)

Ithelus shrugs and puts down his crossbow, followed by his sickle. He makes to move on before pausing, and with an almost apologetic smile he kneels to pull his dagger from it's place in his boot and adds it to the pile of weapons.

'Thank you very much for your permission, Lady. I trust the men on the door will believe us?' he says.
    Sigatar by Me

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Esther said nothing, but watched as the elf disarmed himself. Lowering her veil back over her face, she walked over to the wall and tugged on a frayed bell-pull. From somewhere deeper in the house, there was a faint clong, and soon enough the servant who had opened the door reappeared.

"Gundred," said Esther, "watch over these." She motioned to the weapons. "These gentlemen are going to speak to the doctor."

Unbuckling his sword-belt somewhat reluctantly, Leopold added his own blade to Ithelus' small pile. The miller's son seemed more concerned about being left unarmed with Ithelus than the man they were going to see.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume Pieter is fine with leaving his weapons behind. If he isn't, just let me know and we'll resolve it retroactively.

~

At the foot of the tower stair, the spiral staircase continued one turn further down. The steps were old and worn, their stone surface pitted in the centre where generations of feet had worn them smooth.

Esther had accompanied them this far. She paused, looking for something on a blunt iron hook that protruded from the wall, but whatever it was was missing. Throwing a quick glance back over her shoulder at Ithelus, she led the way down.

At the very bottom of the winding stair, the door of the crypt waited. A lighted lantern had been set down on the floor nearby, casting long shadows over the stonework: over the lintel, the carved hourglass motif of the Verloren family jumped and flickered in the lamplight.

The men who had stood watch before were gone - Mathias, of course, was dead. Instead, dozing on a stool beside the lantern, the small figure of Rodrik the boot-boy leaned with his back against the wall. His head was titled sideways at an angle that looked like it was saving up a painful crick in the neck for when he woke.

Coming to a stop in front of the old door, Esther coughed discreetly. Rodrik's head snapped back upright, his eyes opening wide in startled, blinking confusion. Seeing the lady and her guests standing before him, he jumped clumsily to his feet, fumbling a salute with the old spear he had been given from the manor's armoury. A large, painful-looking bruise still discoloured half the youth's forehead where Ribault had knocked him out.

"These men are here to see the doctor, Rodrik," said Esther, turning away for a moment so her voice was muffled. When she turned back, she had produced a large iron key. "They will not be long."

The last sentence seemed to be delivered in a particularly pointed fashion. Nodding mutely, Rodrik passed the lantern up to whichever of the newcomers would take it. The key turned in the lock, and the door opened with a heavy groan.

Inside the crypt, the doctor was waiting. He had been made a little more comfortable than he had seemed during their last visit: a tatty, moth-eaten chair had been brought down for him to sit on, along with an old walking stick and a wooden footstool for his leg. He had arranged this tiny selection of furniture in one corner of the damp vault, facing the side of one of the stone sarcophagi like an artist taking brass-rubbings in an Altdorf catacomb. Still wearing his coat, he had a hunk of tough, half-eaten bread in one hand.

He had evidently been sitting in darkness: the light of the lamp made him blink hard, his eyes adjusting only slowly. When they had done so, a look of recognition dawned across his long face.

"Mr Hagen," he said, laconically. "And friends."

Adjusting the spectacles that still sat on his nose - now rather grimy from his recent treatment - he made no effort to rise.

"No crossbow, I see," he said, looking Ithelus up and down. "I can't say that's not an improvement from our last encounter."
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-09 at 08:53 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Ithelus

Pieter unbuckled his shortsword and scabbard without hesitation. Then, almost as an afterthought, he added his beautifully crafted dagger to the pile of weapons. A childhood in the worst streets of Nuln made one reluctant to willingly surrender one's last dagger, but Esther, having been around Anhame and Talberg, was undoubtedly aware that men who lived a dangerous life were never without a small, concealable blade.

He remembered how his old mentor Berthold Browncloak, whenever he was asked to disarm, produced at least half a dozen knives of varying shapes and sizes seemingly out of nowhere. It was mostly for show, of course; it kept people wondering if he still had another somewhere, even if they searched him thoroughly just to be on the safe side.

What would he say if he knew I left all my weapons in the care of someone called Gundred?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For those without Tome of Salvation: Gunndred, a minor Old World deity, is essentially the god of thuggery and intimidation. Needless to say, his cult and the cult of Ranald view each other with considerable contempt.

Pieter was not overjoyed when Esther accompanied them downstairs. Perhaps they should just have pretended to leave and then gone to see the doctor anyway.

"I trust Reifennen has been kept ignorant of what's been going on?" he asked Esther while they were still outside the crypt, in a low voice but well within Rodrik's earshot.

The less Reifennen knew, the easier it would be to catch him in a lie or get him to say too much.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-01-09 at 04:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus chuckled, 'Don't worry Doctor. Next time I'll do you the courtesy of not missing.'

The elf then stood back, letting Pieter do the talking. Placing the lantern on the floor the elf leans lazily against the wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Who else is in the room with the Doctor apart from the Doctor and Peter? Also is the door closed.
    Sigatar by Me

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Once they were safely out of the room, Illiiya looked to Lothar with a nervous expression, her hand still clamped firmly to his.

I know I should be.... compassionate. She told him, But I know the daemons and his sickness are connected. Now she seems to be sick. I... I don't know what to do. My craft is focused around swift passings. I cannot fix this!

Send along all the souls of this town. Then leave. It is your only hope.

Illiiya blanched at nothing, her hand squeezing Lothar's tight.

What do we do? I... I don't know how to stop this. She said, voice growing strained in desperation, Maybe all we can do is run.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"I trust Reifennen has been kept ignorant of what's been going on?"
    Esther didn't answer. Her silence seemed like a "no".

She didn't accompany them inside. It was just the three of them, the doctor, and Rodrik waiting outside the door.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #547
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar squeezed Illiiya's hand, silent for a long moment. When he spoke, it was in a whisper. "I don't know if we can run faster than a plague. 'Specially not one spread by daemons and dead men."

He looked at the walls around him, pale and exhausted, and squeezed the elf's hand again. "Maybe we should stay. Fight it. Die like men."

An awkward pause.

"Um, and elves."
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Esther didn't answer. Her silence seemed like a "no".
    Pieter ground his teeth in frustration and annoyance. He could not fathom what good reason Esther might have had to bring the prisoner up to speed about such things as her father's death.

Once he, Leopold and Ithelus were alone with Reifennen, he put on a calm face, sat down and spoke in a soft, businesslike tone, going straight to the point:

"It appears we were partly wrong, doctor; the knight has clearly been acting with a measure of free will. It would help your case if there existed another answer as to how that thing knew about the letter and why it was so keen on seeing it destroyed." He paused. "Something you could tell us to help shed some light?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-01-10 at 12:02 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"The knight," repeated Reifennen, slowly. "That would be the man you... accused me, ah... of being rescued by on the road?" He paused. "I hear you had quite a nasty run-in with him. No doubt the reason my hearing has been delayed." He took a small bite from his bread and chewed thoughtfully.

"Perhaps you could raise the matter with Mr Faulebrand when you go? It seems tasteless to bother Miss Verloren about it so soon after her father's death, but I really would rather not be shut up down here any longer." Swallowing his mouthful, he brushed a crumb from his sleeve. "I was promised a trial."
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-10 at 12:34 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter suppressed a sigh. If the doctor was still playing the innocent, this was going to be longer than expected.

"So given that Esther kept you informed for... some reason," he said patiently, ignoring the prisoner's little games, "you're aware that your fate is now in the hands of the one who just lost her father to the knight. It would be wise to be cooperative. Who else, save Esther, the bandits and yourself, might have known about your letter before the knight destroyed it?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus continued to lean against the wall. 'It would also be nice to know why you wrote that letter in the first place.' the elf remarks. Then he very nonchalantly pulls a throwing knife from the brace on his arm and begins to clean his nails.
    Sigatar by Me

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Die....

She paused a moment, before stepping forward and hugging him tightly. Her face seemed ready to tear up any moment, but she did not. Instead her expression became a mask of bitter resolve.

I will accept that. So long as we are together. She said in an oddly calm voice. Pieter and Ithelus went to speak to the doctor... Perhaps we should find them?
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

13. - Top - End - #553

Lothar twisted his face, looking down at his hands. He released Illiiya's and began fiddling with his copper ring. "Up at the manor? Uh. I don't know if I could see th'lady, after gettin' her father killed like that."

He frowned. "I think I oughta go leave an offerin' to Shallya at her shrine. Seems the thing to do, bein' alive and all that."
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Ithelus continued to lean against the wall. 'It would also be nice to know why you wrote that letter in the first place.' the elf remarks. Then he very nonchalantly pulls a throwing knife from the brace on his arm and begins to clean his nails.
    “I already told you,” said Reifennen, with equanimity. “I heard of the lady's illness and wrote to offer my services. As for your story of what happened to my letter,” he added, looking across at Pieter, “I didn't even know the robbers had heard of it. I don't know how you expect me to be able to help.”

He didn't seem capable of maintaining his attention on Pieter for too long. His eyes kept drifting greedily back to Ithelus.

“Would you mind lifting the lamp a little?” he asked, politely.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter took a slow breath. Gods, was Reifennen irritating. Who was he still hoping to fool by this point? And what made him so confident?

"Alright then," the initiate said through his teeth, "for the sake of argument, let's assume you're innocent. How about you tell us your version of the whole story, from the moment two bandits tried to mug you?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-01-11 at 12:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"I was set upon on the road. The roadwardens intervened." He waved a hand vaguely. "I arrived in Hohlesbruck. The Faulebrand girl fell ill, I offered my services. I had heard about Verloren's daughter too, so I wrote to her to do the same." He kept his eyes on Ithelus. "Then someone shot me in the leg."

"Alexa didn't fall sick," said Leopold with some rancour. "You poisoned her."

"So the wizard claimed," said Reifennen. "But I hear Mr Waite is dead." Reaching down to his side, he caught up the stick and stood. "I can't honestly say I grieve for him."

Leaning on his stick, the doctor turned towards Leopold.

"These men," he said, gesturing with his free hand to Pieter and Ithelus, "came here in your father's pay. Understandable enough. Waite?" He waited for a moment. "He lied about who he was. He lied about why he was here. And as soon as he could devise a suitable pretext, he set about turning the whole village to his true purpose."

The flippant tone with which he had addressed Pieter seemed to have subsided.

"Everything I say, you doubt - because of the accusations of a man you know lied to you. He knew what lay inside that barrow. It must have lain there for centuries, undisturbed. Did he ever give you a reason why it so desperately needed to be unearthed now?"

"I find myself a scapegoat for crimes which no-one will explain to me," he said, turning back to Pieter and leaning a little more heavily on his stick. "Crimes for which I have no possible motive, crimes that most people I think would more probably lay at the feet of a wizard than a doctor. So tell me now what I have done, why I should not be allowed to help the sick, why Mr Hagen the 'healer' has deemed my persecution more important than their care - or leave me in peace."
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-11 at 03:00 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus nods his head during the Doctor's speech. Turning to the other two he says, 'The man does have a point. I mean it's not like we actually read the letter he sent. Oh, wait. You know, I say we just kill him now.'
    Sigatar by Me

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter ignored Ithelus. It might be useful to let the doctor think the Elf was beyond their control.

"Waite did lie to us. But he told the truth about at least one thing - there's an evil at the barrow. We never even needed to unearth it; the evil was already out when we came to Hohlesbruck."

"When the bandits got a hold of your letter, they tried to blackmail Lady Verloren with it for a thousand crowns. I was there when Ribault made his threat, holding her at knifepoint. And you insist on claiming it was an innocent offer of services? Oh, we know the service you offered her. And you did deliver... before even knowing if she'd accept. The letter never even reached her, you idiot. Her maid stole it and gave it to Ribault, which probably saved your neck from the noose until now."

He studied Reifennen, trying to read his reaction to the lie. This might tell him a lot about how much he and Esther had communicated since the letter.

"But perhaps I waste my words, because I can tell you're not trying to convince us; we already know you're connected with the Plague Lord's minions that have been attacking us lately, and that if we retraced your steps, we'd find fourteen new graves in Basdahl, four in Nupstedt; but none in Arenhausen, where the Shallyans thwarted you. I can tell you're just rehearsing your lies for the more malleable villagers. If you want to make this a war of words, against me of all people, so be it; you'll lose. Because you see, words... I happen to be skilled with them. The only words that can save you are ones that'll help us fix this gods-damned mess. First by stopping that knight."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This got longer than I expected... The doctor can interrupt at any time. Our respective time zones make it hard to post a lot, and none of us wants this conversation to go on forever.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

The doctor watched Pieter in silence. His face was immobile, blinking occasionally. For a moment though, when Pieter said the letter had never reached Esther, he thought he saw a flicker of a smirk.

There was a long pause before the doctor replied. You could tell he was taking time to think out his reply - like a chess-player, thinking out the consequences of his move.

"You're very confident, Mr Hagen," he said. He seemed to be biting back some smart-alec remark, constraining himself to as few words as possible. "For myself... I have faith."

The walking stick tip-tap-ing on the stone floor, he turned back to the chair. Sitting down again, he looked back at Ithelus.

"You seem pale, master Elf. Feeling a little, ah, under the weather?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-11 at 11:59 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus nods, 'Aye, one of your friends decided to vomit on me.'. Playing the knife between his fingers the elf turns to Pieter, 'My turn yet?'
    Sigatar by Me

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Not alone. Illiiya said protectively, I will go with you. I owe her offering myself.

Her tone suggested there would be no debate. She was not willing to leave his side.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"Mm. And I imagine you're not the only one? I did warn you."

Doing his best to ignore the elf's impatient question, the doctor looked back to Pieter.

"Have you ever been in a plague ward, Mr Hagen?"

Lothar & Illiiya

Over the bridge, the shrine of Shallya still stood, the same as it had been the very first day they had arrived. Somewhere in the forest, birds were setting up a raucous, croaking racket.

Looking around, Illiiya could see the crude spear the knight had whittled, still lying amidst the leaf litter. From inside the little drystone shrine, the peasants' wooden triptych looked peacefully down.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do remember that Mrs Hofstadter is waiting in the dark for you guys to fetch someone/tell the rest of the village.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Playing the knife between his fingers the elf turns to Pieter, 'My turn yet?'
    Pieter shook his head absent-mindedly. "Esther might disapprove, and now's hardly the time to be run out of town."

His eyes remained on the doctor, who had revealed more than he knew. So Esther talked to you about the letter, meaning she wasn't as passive as we thought... Well, now we know just how little we can trust her.

"Have you ever been in a plague ward, Mr Hagen?" asked Reifennen.

"I have," said Pieter in a guarded tone.

Averheim, just before the Storm.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-01-11 at 11:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"Then you'll know," said Reifennen. "It's the fear that gets to people."

He rested against the back of the chair and picked up the bread again.

"That's why I'll be out of here before sunset, Mr Hagen," he said. "Because they will need a doctor."
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-11 at 11:42 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter almost chuckled.

I'm a professional rabble rouser, doctor. I play crowds like a fiddle, and fear and anger are my strings.

"I'm pretty sure even the dimmest people, by now, realize the pies were poisoned. Even if they still trust you, you're working under the assumption that we'll let you. When lives are at stake, the law becomes but a vague guideline, especially when there's no one around to enforce it."

He arched an eyebrow. "How'd you leave Basdahl when they figured out what you were doing? Did you make an ally there, too?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"I'm pretty sure even the dimmest people, by now, realize the pies were poisoned. Even if they still trust you, you're working under the assumption that we'll let you. When lives are at stake, the law becomes but a vague guideline, especially when there's no one around to enforce it."
    "Really? That must be very convenient for you." The doctor turned the half-eaten hunk of bread over in his hand. "How fortunate the people of Hohlesbruck are to have a self-appointed witch hunter like yourself to champion their cause."

He paused.

"Mm - do I have to keep answering these questions? I don't think I do." He looked up at Pieter, his face bland. "I am tired, and my leg hurts. I would like you to leave now."
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-12 at 12:24 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus leans forward and taps Pieter on the shoulder with his knife, although his gaze remains fixed on the Doctor. 'Let me show him fear, Pieter. He talks like he's immune but we know that everyone is scared at the end. We saw that in Delbrez. Even the cultists screamed before they died.'
    Sigatar by Me

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

"How fortunate the people of Hohlesbruck are to have a self-appointed witch hunter like yourself to champion their cause."
    "But a short time ago, I'd have been insulted," said Pieter thoughtfully. "But now I understand that, sometimes, you have to be the lesser of two evils."

He smiled at Ithelus. "Tempting, but not while I'm here, please. If you have to resort to this eventually, and it looks like you will, I'd rather you do it in a way and at a time that allow the rest of us to deny letting it happen."

Pieter was not sure how much of Ithelus's eagerness was playacting and how much was genuine, but he could not let Reifennen grow confident knowing that the Elf was under his more reasonable comrades' control.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #569

"Right." Lothar licked his lips, looking up at the little triptych as he lowered himself to his knees. There was a rasping clink of his mail and his face twisted in pain. "Unh."

"Uh. I've never been real good at prayers, Lady. Bet you hear that a lot from, um, soldiers and the like. But I'm really grateful that I only lost an, uh, an eye out there. And that Pieter didn't take out anything 'cept the eye when he cut it out." He rubbed at the raw flesh just below his ruined eye.

"I've seen sawbones do a lot more damage when they're tryin' to do good and I figure it was your hand that helped there. Or maybe the Crow an' his luck, but this isn't really his patch, I think. Anyway, um, thanks."

Lothar chewed on his lower lip, fiddling with his Sigmarite ring. He glanced sideways at Illiiya and back up to the crude shrine. "Um. I know a lot of us send a lot of folk to meet your Da an' that probably makes you weep a bit. But we're, uh, tryin'." He lowered his gaze, tapping his ring against the ground. "An' we're up against the Three-Eyed Grandfather, here. We're doin' your work."

He looked up again. "You already kept Him from takin' more than my eye and I'm pretty grateful for that an' that's why I'm here. But... But we're in it deep, m'lady. If you don't help us, the Fly is going to drown us and everyone left in his village. Already half the men are dead, an' the women'll be next."

Lothar coughed and wiped his forehead.

"So, um, I guess I'm asking for more of your help? At the same time as sayin' thanks, so I guess I seem pretty ungrateful. But you are the White Dove, helper o' the weak, daughter o' Justice - and I don't think you want the despair o' the Slime Lord to drown this village. I don't think your Da wants all Hohlesbruck to come to his gates in a big crowd, stained with pox. I don' think this is right, an' your Ma stands for Rightness."

"I think you'll help us, if we ask you right. An' I'm not askin' you right, I know. But I mean it. Help us."

Lothar gnawed on his lower lip, worrying at his beard. He looked up again.

"Please."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2013-01-22 at 06:56 AM.
    Games:

=

=

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

The doctor raised one eyebrow at Ithelus, like a theatre-goer unimpressed by the performance.

"What very fine lines you draw, Mr Hagen. Life must be so much easier, knowing you are infallibly in the right. I suppose from that point of view, casual threats of torture are just, ah... a means to an end."

He thumped his stick three times on the stone floor. "Boy!" he called out, although his voice was a little too thin and reedy to make it a carrying shout.

There was a rattling of locks, and Rodrik looked sheepishly around the corner of the door.

"These men were just leaving."

Lothar & Illiiya

The shrine was silent, except for the squabbling of crows in the far-off trees. At one level, it felt very silly, talking to wood-carving. This little wayside shrine was a far cry from the temples and priests of Delberz. Then again, maybe that was for the better.
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-01-13 at 08:23 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb