New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart (II)

Master Sigurd Waite

“I believe we’re going to see the same chap, then,” Ricard calls to Pieter. “Care to walk with us?”

Following behind him, Sigurd accidentally steps on the back of the baronet's shoe as he slows down.

"Oops, sorry." He keeps walking.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

“Care to walk with us?”

"It'd be a pleasure," said Pieter without any trace of sarcasm. He decided to behave more or less amiably after all. He disliked Talberg, but in the grand scheme of things, they were on the same side. Never forget who the real enemy is.

He moved close to Lothar as they walked. "Bad?" he whispered to the soldier, arching an eyebrow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Yes. Let's go back. Illiiya said with a slight nod, Are you feeling any better, at least?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm fine with skipping back to town. The shrine thing was mostly just for flavor.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar nodded to Leopold, his voice somewhat gruff. "Yeah. Ith got covered in daemon... gunk, but we got through alrigh." He shook his head, staring at his battered boots. "Not seen anythin' like that in... not long enough."

He looked up as Pieter fell into the group, giving the priest a silent nod.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah. Ith got covered in daemon... gunk, but we got through alrigh." He shook his head, staring at his battered boots. "Not seen anythin' like that in... not long enough."
    “You’re serious?” Leopold was trying hard not to sound disbelieving, but he didn’t seem to know how else to sound. “...What did they look like?”

~

As they headed towards the manor, they spotted Ithelus and Illiiya returning from the river. The group gathered them up like a snowball gathering mass, rolling onwards and upwards to the ancient house on the hill.

By the look of the muddy path that led up to the great front doors, there had been people here more recently than their midnight dash through the mist. Opening the door to Aloysius’ thundering knocking, Hilda Lauf ushered them inside.

The miller’s richly-coloured clothes stood out like a sore amidst the faded, antique grandeur of the great hall, cracked and faded portraits gazing disapprovingly down at this member of the noveaux riches who came barging into their sanctum. While Aloysius kept his eyes resolutely grounded, Leopold gazed up at the pictures and the arches of the high roof like a gawping peasant. The last time the young Faulebrand had set foot within these walls, he must have been a young child.

Ricard, by contrast, seemed almost familiar with the place. His presence seemed to put Mrs Lauf at ease, the fussy housekeeper clearly less than happy about the return of the bloodied and wild-eyed strangers she had been warned to bar the door against in the night. Sitting on the bottom step of the ancient staircase like a faithful hound, Mathias watched them with suspicious eyes, an old, dull boar-spear resting across his knees.

“Where is Mils?” demanded Aloysius. “Where’s your master? Is he sleeping?” The questions came quicker than Mrs Lauf could answer. “You must wake him at once. I need to speak with him now!”

“He’s a’ready woken, Mister F,” said Mathias, in a slow, firm voice that cut short the miller’s demands. “He’s waitin’ in the west hall.”

The west hall was indeed where Mils was waiting. A fire burned in the grate of the ancient, soot-black hearth, casting his stretched shadow against the far wall, where the stones of the old chapel still nosed through the masonry. Dust lingered and swam in the air, stirred by convection from the fire: the old walls and windows of the manor admitted an army of draughts, the heat of the hearth staking out an island of warmth amidst the cold that the fog had brought creeping in.

There were others with him. The second of the villagers who had gone to guard the doctor stood to one side, remaining out of the way. An older villager sat at the age-darkened table, looking up at the newcomers with eyes set in a grizzled, grey-bearded face – and a little to his left, standing to receive their guests, was Esther. She was dressed and veiled in the same fashion as she had been when they had first met her – Sigurd wondered absently to himself whether she had other dresses. Probably not many.

“Aloysius,” said Mils, without much pretence at welcome. “I was not expecting to see you.”

“You’ve got the doctor here,” said Aloysius, blunt as ever. “In this house. I want to see him.” He glanced around at the others. “There’s something going on that I don’t understand, and I want some answers – proper answers, not some... children's story, about daemons in the mist.” He glanced cursorily back at Lothar. “I wasn’t born yesterday.”

“I’m afraid I can’t agree with you in treating Mr Fischer’s story so lightly,” said Mils, distantly. “I’ve seen the evidence with my own eyes.”

Daemons in Hohlesbruck,” said Aloysius with exasperation. “Now listen here –“

“If you wish to see it for yourself, I would advise you to take a walk to the Heartless Man. That is, if their wounds are not enough.” For the first time, Mils looked away from the fire, addressing Aloysius face-to-face. “We have been discussing ways in which we can take action. Mustering the militia... one of the few powers I still have.”

There seemed to be more than one hidden meaning buried in his words. Stopping in his tracks, Aloysius dropped his blustering line of attack.

“My daughter is sick,” he said. “Maybe dying, I don’t know. I want to talk to the man who told me he was taking care of her.” He looked Mils straight in the eye. “Is he here?”

Mils seemed to relent. “Yes,” he said. “We locked him in the crypt.” He turned to the villager who waited by the wall. “Jorn, please show Mr Faulebrand the way.”

“Yes, m’lord,” said the man, stepping sheepishly forward. “Right this way, Mr Faulebrand.”

Mr Faulebrand followed the volunteer militiaman, and Leopold followed his father. Mils’ gaze turned back to the fire.

“Mr Waite,” he said, by way of a greeting. There was a frosty politeness to his voice that marked out exactly what he was prepared to talk about – and what he was not. “I trust you are well. This is Gerolf. He has been my bailiff for seventeen years.”

The old villager touched his forehead to the wizard. Sigurd did not recognise his face as one that had been part of the crowd last night... that was probably a good thing.

“Morning, y’honour,” said Gerolf in acknowledgement, amiably enough. “We’ve been talkin' about tacklin' this tree of yours...”
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-07-27 at 04:27 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

Sigurd bows upon entering the hall, and again when Mils addresses him. He's about to insist on going with Faulebrand when Verloren decides to get right down to business.

"My lord," he says as humbly as he can manage. "May I request you send someone... armed... with Aloysius?"

((after the answer))

He nods to Gerolf. "With Suster's help we can find it easily enough. It used its branches like arms. It didn't seem able to move from where it was rooted, so if that's true it'll be easy to burn. If that's true.

"It's at the entrance to the old lair. Once it's destroyed I'll need to enter the lair and see if there's anything else going on. I'm willing to go alone if need be, and happy to accept company if it's offered."

His eyes flicker to the mercenary group.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

7. - Top - End - #67

“You’re serious?” Leopold was trying hard not to sound disbelieving, but he didn’t seem to know how else to sound. “...What did they look like?”
    "Little sacks o' sh-- in the shape o' men, most of 'em. And one big one, more'n my height, one eye, horned..." Lothar gave Leopold a significant look. "That one was was countin'. Had a sword."

~

When the elves rejoined the group, Lothar gave them a nod, a concerned glancing-over, but otherwise continued his conversation with Leopold, such as it was. By the time the group reached the manor, the two had fallen silent, with the soldier content to stay so as they tromped through its antique halls.

He'd been here before, and was no longer quite so impressed with the ancient portraiture, the legacy of crumbling years of rulership. Instead, Lothar found his eyes going to Illiya, and thinking about sitting next to a river and fishing. A nice clean river, big fat fish, and not having to wear a shirt advertising the local smithy every damn day.

He ignored Aloysious' disregard for his story. Lothar expected as much. But when the fat, useless miller turned to leave with his son, Lothar touched Leo on the shoulder, whispering. "Be careful."

He turned back and nodded to Pieter, an unspoken 'maybe you should go with them'.

~

"It's at the entrance to the old lair. Once it's destroyed I'll need to enter the lair and see if there's anything else going on. I'm willing to go alone if need be, and happy to accept company if it's offered," Sigurd said, his eyes flickering to the mercenary group.
    Lothar raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. He looked to Lord Verloren.

Good luck finding volunteers for that, mate.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Lothar turned back and nodded to Pieter, an unspoken 'maybe you should go with them'.
    Pieter nodded back, almost imperceptibly - he had a lie to uphold. And somebody may need to restrain the old miller.

"I'll see to Dr Reifennen's injury," he told no one in particular, following Mr Faulebrand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

"Ernst is guarding the doctor," said Verloren. "He has his crossbow. But if you're concerned, I'm sure Master Talberg can put his pistolier training to good use."

"Right. Um, yes," said Ricard. He seemed very conscious of the deliberate manner in which Mils had singled him out - after a moment of hesitation, he took the opportunity to excuse himself from Verloren's presence. "Can't say I don't want to hear what he has to say for himself."

Following the Faulebrands, he left the hall. Looking between his departing back and the discussion surrounding her father for a moment, Esther seemed to decide she had no place in the latter, and followed him out of the room.

Gerolf listened to Sigurd's analysis attentively and impassively. Looking back to Mils, he made a pensive face, probing the side of his closed mouth with his tongue.

"Woods'll be wet after this weather we've been having. Easy to burn ain't words I'd use, even for a dead tree." He sucked his teeth. "I s'pose we could bring up some straw... or firewood and the like. That's been kept dry. Ought to be able to gather up the horses to shift a fair amount."

"Then I think we ought to carry as much as possible," said Mils. The bailiff nodded, sitting back in his chair with a creak of old wood.

"I hear Suster's been watching his shadow ever since this gentleman brought him out there the first time, but he ought to do it if you ask him, sir," he said, addressing Mils. "He'll feel safer with the lot of us with him."

"As to what it's growing over, Mr Waite," said Mils, "we'll see what's to be done when we come to it."
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-05-16 at 05:19 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

When Esther follows Ricard out of the room, Sigurd's hair stands up. Seems like an odd choice of company.

First he glances sidelong at Mils to see if it bothers the old lord. Then, perhaps for the first time, he decides to peer through the witchsight at Esther - catching her back as she departs the room, and nearly missing the rest of the conversation.

"...we'll see what's to be done when we come to it."

Oh. Mils was on again.

"As you wish, Lord."
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2012-05-16 at 11:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

'And how long will it take to muster the Militia my Lord?' Ithelus says through heavy breaths, it was not an esay walk for a sick man. 'Some men should be left here to make sure nothing.... bad happens to the rest of 'em.'

He inhales sharply, 'Also My Lord, will the blotting paper stand in a trail?.'
    Sigatar by Me

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

It won't burn easily. Illiiya said, watching Ester as she left, It is wet and putrid and full of foul humors... and it will be defending itself. It may even call more demons to aid it. I believe it is birthing them.

Illiiya held up one of her hands, her fingertips still blackened and nailless.

And you cannot touch them, without risking disfigurement... or worse. She said, with a slight shudder, I would suggest long-hafted weapons for your men, to keep them at as far a distance as you can.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also using witchsight on Ester. Along with everyone here, really. Illiiya only rarely turns it off.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Mils’ attention was on the newcomers. He had been carefully ignoring Ricard, and hardly looked in his direction when the young man excused himself. Perhaps he didn’t notice Esther follow after at all – she moved quietly, with the light steps of someone accustomed to staying in the background. Neither Sigurd nor Illiiya could sense anything different about her.

'And how long will it take to muster the Militia my Lord?' Ithelus says through heavy breaths, it was not an esay walk for a sick man. 'Some men should be left here to make sure nothing.... bad happens to the rest of 'em.'
    Mils gave a fraction of a nod. “I’ll take that under consideration.”

Gerolf nodded his assent. “It won’t take long to get together the men we need,” he said.

'Also My Lord, will the blotting paper stand in a trail?.'
    “The trial will have to wait,” said Mils, looking back to the fire. “If what you say is true, this is a matter far worse than roadside robbers. The authorities outside Hohlesbruck need to be told.”

Illiiya’s more ominous words seemed to strike the two men seriously. They fell to a discussion of what genuine weapons were available to arm the villagers... by the sounds of things, the list was worryingly short. Satisfied that they had at least listened to her, Illiiya slipped off after Pieter and the others.

The Crypt

The crypt of Verloren Manor was at the very bottom of the spiral tower stair, where it descended down past the ground floor and into the earth. The stone walls were cold and damp. Carved into the keystone of the old arch that held the door was a relief of the Verloren family crest, its lines softened and blurred by the passing of centuries – beneath the outline of the central hourglass, Pieter saw the remains of what looked like a family motto in Classical. Age had rendered it illegible.

Ernst was dozing lightly in a bare wooden chair in front of the door, the crossbow he had carried during the night lying loaded across his lap. He woke with a start as he heard them approach, picking up the weapon again before recognition dawned.

“We’re here to see the doctor,” said Aloysius. “He’s in here?”

Jorn, the other villager, nodded discreetly at Ernst. Getting to his feet, the armed volunteer reached under his tunic, producing a heavy iron key that he had strung around his neck on a length of twine. It turned in the lock with a loud clunk, allowing the old oaken door to swing open.

Pieter didn’t know what he had been expecting, but the crypt was... disappointing. There were no masses of spiderwebs, no shelves of yellowing old bones. Rows of stone coffins stood in alcoves beneath a low, vaulted ceiling, the remains of painted heraldry long since effaced by the years. The flagstoned floor was swept clean, but grey dust accumulated in the corners and on the upper surfaces, hanging motionlessly in the cold, stale air.

At the far end of the long, cellar-like chamber, Reifennen was sitting on the floor, his back propped against one of the tombs. Polishing his spectacles, he put them back on his face, squinting at the new arrivals and the sudden light they brought with them.

“Mr Hagen,” he said. “Your friend from the Colleges couldn’t come? I have been composing a letter to my friends in Altdorf. I think he’d like to hear it.”

Aloysius didn’t give Pieter time to reply, pushing forwards. Coming to a halt a few feet away from the doctor, he looked down at the sitting captive.

“What have you done to Alexa?”
    “Your daughter is... very ill, Mr Faulebrand. I was treating her as best I knew, until these...”
    “Don’t give me that!” For the first time, Faulebrand’s voice had nearly risen back to its trademark shout. He cut himself short, reining in. “We opened her room.”
    “Ah.” An expression of regret crossed the doctor’s long face. “That is... unfortunate.”
    Unfortunate?” Faulebrand’s face began to suffuse with red. “That’s all you have to say?”
    “Were you there when the room was opened?” asked the doctor, with deferential calm. “And young Master Faulebrand?”

Aloysius stumbled verbally. “Yes,” he said. The doctor shook his head.

“Very unfortunate.”
    He pulled himself laboriously to his feet.
    “Mr Faulebrand, I’m sorry for what I may have kept from you. The truth is that I’ve seen your daughter’s condition before.” He brushed some of the crypt’s dust off his clothes. “I thought that perhaps if I could halt its progress without telling you its name, then I might save you some distress... but more importantly, it is virulently contagious. I thought that if I could keep Alexa shut away from the rest of the village, I could contain its spread.”

He looked around the room.

“Has anyone else been taken ill since my imprisonment, Mr Hagen?”

~

Illiiya had been some way behind the others in setting off. Bringing up the rear, she saw Esther approach Ricard.

“Hullo, Esther,” she heard him say. “What is it?” His words were friendly, but you could have cut the awkwardness with a knife.

“Hello, Ricard,” she said, rather less at ease than him. “I... I just wanted to say, I’m sorry for father. I know he must seem... terribly rude, but it’s just everything that’s been happening lately...”

“Can’t blame him,” said Ricard. The young man stopped in the corridor to talk, letting the others go on ahead. “Ettie, you have to stop worrying about things like that. The old man’s always been frosty when I’m around, and half these new fellows seem to have caught it off him. It’s water off a duck’s back, you know.”
    “...I know,” said Esther. There was a long awkward pause. It seemed to Illiiya that the apology had been merely a pretext to talk – about something, about anything. “How have you been keeping?”
    “Same old,” said Ricard. “Yourself?”
    “The same,” she said, her voice still quiet. “Is Alexa very ill?”
    “Dreadfully,” said Ricard, and now it was his turn to sound serious. “I’ve seen some things, you know, but when they opened the old girl’s bedroom door...” He trailed off. “You can see it in old Faulebrand’s face, what he thinks is on the way, and I daren’t say he’s wrong. Enough to make me wonder whether it’s me, you know? Bringing down some awful curse.”
    “No - it's not your fault,” said Esther. She was going to say more, but she stopped – Illiiya had caught up with them, and they both fell silent.

“Coming to see the prisoner?” asked Ricard, keeping his affable tone without faltering. “I think it’s just along this way.”
    “Just under the stairs,” confirmed Esther. She did not go with them – rather, she broke away without another word, heading off around a corner of the old house.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Consider this last section a half-step back in time, so Illiiya can interact with this and then rejoin the scene in the crypt freely. Just start the post by saying that Illiiya and Ricard come into the crypt.
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-05-20 at 06:44 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter's gaze swept the crypt. It looked better than the cell where he had spent his last two nights in Delberz, just before and after saving the city. Was there no justice in this world?

Dr Reifennen spoke: "Has anyone else been taken ill since my imprisonment, Mr Hagen?"

You'd make a good card player, I'll give you that, thought Pieter, keeping his face neutral too. He was sure the doctor was smirking inwardly. What mattered now was to keep him from planting doubt in the mind of Mr Faulebrand, a man as influenceable as he was influential. The initiate was tempted to answer that everyone was fine, but an outright lie would make him come across as the manipulator to the old miller.

"Mr Hofstadter did come down with something after eating one of Mr Flycher's... your ex-host's meat pies. I saw nothing related to what Alexa caught, fortunately," he assured, though he himself knew nothing of her condition. "If Alexa's contagious, I'm more worried about who she got that disease from. The rest of us can... take whatever measures you took to avoid catching it while taking care of her." He shrugged. "Diseases are more your field than mine. I deal with injuries."

He paused, his hand going to the medical supplies in his slingbag.

"Speaking of injuries, how's your leg? No infection, I hope?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-05-19 at 12:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya paused dead upon seeing the two, and narrowed her eyes at Ester in a steady, unflinching glare.

I know. She said firmly, as if a stern voice and a glare full of ice-cold hate could make her break down and confess, I know everything. If he suffers of your deeds girl... Khaine vesh tal'shaan il soon.

And without another word, she strode past the two, straight for the crypts, leaving a probably confused Ricard to follow along behind.

---------------------

The Crypts

Illiiya strode into view, her face a familiar cold expression. Ricard followed behind her, attempting to keep pace with the elven woman as she strode up to Pieter's side and glared daggers at the doctor. She looks ready to speak to him... but the hateful words do not come. Instead she stands almost frozen in place, her glare following is every move and action, as Pieter speaks. He was better with people than she... she could hold her threats until he had done his work.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take it from the lack of mention that Ester didn't flag under witch sight. I'm sure the doc won't either, but she'll still check. Just in case there's lingering evidence of some ritual or another here.

Oh, and I doubt anyone here understands elven, but the jist of what she said is "Khaine's mercy I will grant upon you.". The statement is entirely a death threat. Khaine HAS no mercy. She'd need to know elven speech and druchii slang (or at least who Khaine is) to pick up on it. Course, considering Illiiya's words here was the verbal equivalent of vomiting black bile into her hands and hurling it full-force into the girl's face.... I'm sure she'll take that it had hostile meaning.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2012-05-19 at 08:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Stopped in her tracks by Illiiya’s words, Esther shrank in fear from the elf’s tirade. Taking a couple of stumbling steps backwards, she turned and ran. The house creaked as a door slammed behind her, a thin drizzle of dust falling from the ceiling.

Ricard was still staring in astonishment as Illiiya strode on ahead. Catching up with her on the threshold of the crypt, he put a hand on her shoulder to bring her up short.

“What in blazes was that?” he demanded, his voice low but emphatic. He looked back over his shoulder, but Esther was not coming back. “What can you possibly have against her?

Pieter

"Speaking of injuries, how's your leg? No infection, I hope?"
    “None as yet,” said the doctor; an icy rejoinder.

”The rest of us can... take whatever measures you took to avoid catching it while taking care of her." He shrugged. "Diseases are more your field than mine. I deal with injuries."
    “I have lived my working life among the plagued and the sick. The gods have blessed me with good health, even in the most noxious of surroundings – and my studies have taught me the most effective wards against contagion.” The doctor lifted himself with a slight wince of pain to sit on the edge of the tomb, taking the weight off his wounded leg. “If you were to share out the contents of the bag you stole from me, Mr Hagen, I’m sure you could find enough to dose yourself for a few days, before you exhausted the supply.”

He looked back to Aloysius.

“Mr Faulebrand, Mr Hagen here knows how to bandage a wound... some herb-lore, nothing more. He is not, ah, qualified to understand the source of the innkeeper’s illness. If Hofstadter is sick, more will be soon. I must be allowed to treat them...”

“You’ll stay here where we can see you,” said Leopold, firmly. “You were treating Alexa, and how much good has that done her?”

Aloysius’ expression hardened in agreement with his son. Reifennen looked between them, searching for a chink in their armour.

“I have done what I can. I believe I have... slowed its course. That is all that can be done, to give her a chance to fight.” He took a significant pause. “Only the strongest souls survive the Rot.”

The colour went from the elder Faulebrand’s face. Leopold too was shaken, staring wordlessly at the doctor’s solemn mask of a face through a long, long silence.

The younger Faulebrand exploded. “LIAR!” he screamed, seizing the doctor by the lapels of his coat and hauling him off his stone seat. The doctor scarcely resisted, taken entirely by surprise - pulling him up onto his feet, Leopold thrust him against one of the thick arches that supported the ceiling. “Liar! You brought this! You did this!

Reifennen wasn’t fighting back. Leopold was slamming him furiously against the wall, his glasses falling to the flagstoned floor as he tried to yelp a strangled protest. It looked like Leopold was going to dash out the old physician’s brains against the crumbling stonework if left much longer.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

“Only the strongest souls survive the Rot,” said Reifennen.

A chill ran down Pieter's spine. He had never seen the Rot with his own eyes, but it was spoken of in hushed tones by the Shallyans; even they feared to go anywhere near the afflicted. It was, they said, an unnatural disease - a gift of the Fly Lord himself.

Leopold was slamming him furiously against the wall, his glasses falling to the flagstoned floor as he tried to yelp a strangled protest. It looked like Leopold was going to dash out the old physician’s brains against the crumbling stonework if left much longer.
    The initiate threw himself at the young man, trying to break his grip on the doctor.

"Gods dammit, Leo, killing him won't prove his guilt... or save Alexa! We still need answers from him!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Away from my books at the moment... I may be mistaken, but I think a grapple can only be a basic attack, correct? If not, make it an all-out attack. No idea if I get any additional bonuses from Leo not looking at me or already grappling the doctor.

Grapple 36: (d100)[83] - Meh.
    Leopold's Agility: (d100)[38]

If it helps, some sort of Fel test: (d100)[73]

Edit: More like a Fail test.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-05-20 at 10:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

PRE-Doctor-assault

Illiiya turned with a cold, unamused look to catch Ricard's eye, her demeanor more off-setting than a woman of her meager size should be.

Her jealousy may have caused this. All of this. She said, brutally honest, You jilt a woman over illness and set to marry another... then your new woman takes ill? Are you too much a fool to see the connection? Did you not face chaos in the invasion? Do you not know how easily it festers in a resentful mind?

She seemed ready to continue the tirade, when the noise from the crypt cut through the air. She turned to watch the assault on the doctor with a look of initial shock. For a second, she seemed confused... uncertain if she should move to help or not. The moment was over quickly though and she stayed her hand, watching to see how this unfolded.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya believes he's guilty... and that's reason enough for a brutal beating and possible homicide to her. She doesn't expect the doc to talk anyway... so may as well break his head over a rock.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Illiiya

Quote Originally Posted by Illiiya
    Her jealousy may have caused this. All of this. She said, brutally honest, You jilt a woman over illness and set to marry another... then your new woman takes ill? Are you too much a fool to see the connection? Did you not face chaos in the invasion? Do you not know how easily it festers in a resentful mind?
    The reaction on Ricard’s face to Illiiya’s penultimate demand was stronger than she would have expected. She did not have time to probe the wound, however, as Leopold went berserk. Pieter threw himself into the fray, trying his best to prise the young man’s fingers from the doctor’s throat.

"Gods dammit, Leo, killing him won't prove his guilt... or save Alexa! We still need answers from him!"
    There was a moment of thrashing struggle, Pieter pulling ineffectively at Leopold’s forearms. His face still burning red, the younger Faulebrand let the doctor drop, Reifennen collapsing to the floor with a gasping wheeze as Aloysius helped drag Leopold aside.

“Rhya’s blood, boy, won’t you listen to him?” He let go of his son, breathing heavily from the exertion. “Whether he’s guilty or not, he’s the only one who knows what’s wrong with her! He’s the only one who can give us a cure.”

He turned to the doctor, who was massaging his bruising windpipe.

“If it’s money you want, you can have it all,” he said. “Just... just tell us what to do.”

Leopold pushed past again.

“It was you that did this,” he said, repeating his accusation with equal force. “Did you do the rest as well? Was it you who called the daemons in the mist?”

Still rubbing his neck, Reifennen coughed to clear his throat. Looking up at Leopold, his face assumed such an expression of sheepish innocence that Pieter could have sworn he was sitting across a card table, trying to play down a killer hand.

“...Daemons?” he asked, in tones of pitch-perfect confusion. Leopold looked as if he was about to hit him again.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For future reference: yes, it you can only grapple with a charge or a standard attack. You do get a +20 for attacking an opponent who is already grappling, but it's academic.

Regarding Lothar, Sigurd and Ithelus: are you guys waiting on me?
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-05-20 at 04:31 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

The doctor looked too innocent to be honest. Pieter's jaw tightened in annoyance... He, too, wanted to hit Reifennen, but he put a placating hand on Leopold's arm.

"Daemons," he confirmed. "Some of my friends have the wounds to show for it. Whether or not you're directly involved, we're fairly positive the daemons serve the same master as the knight... you know, the one who saved you from the outlaws. Or are you still claiming that thing was a roadwarden?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Reifennen gazed coolly back at Pieter.

"Mr Hagen" he said, his backside still firmly planted on the floor, "I have no idea what you're talking about."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

He won't talk... and he's a cultist... No fear of death. Not once has he seemed fearful or desperate at his situation... merely indignant and angry. Illiiya said with a soft sigh, Perhaps it IS best we kill him, to make sure he works no more blights upon this town from his cell. I doubt we'll get anything from him.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

The Crypt

"Should I be fearful now?" asked Reifennen in reply, as mildly as if he were asking whether Illiiya wanted him to pass the salt. "Somehow, I think you would see that as, ah, proving me guilty too. Tell me, of the two of us, whom do we know to be a witch?"

"Enough," said Leopold. The doctor complied.

Leopold looked across to Pieter and Illiiya.

"She's right," he said. "What leverage do we have? He confesses to any of this, he dies for sure. He keeps up the lie, it's only a maybe." He looked back at Reifennen. "He's had all night to get his story straight."

"She doesn't decide anything, Leopold," said Aloysius, authoritatively. "This isn't for outsiders to judge. It ought to be done proper."

"Thank you," began Reifennen, but Aloysius cut him off with a scowl.

"I've always prided myself on being a good judge of character," said the miller. "Take one look at a man and shake his hand, I say, and you'll know where he stands. Well," he said, and he had to pause, "I'm thinking I was wrong. Because I'm looking at you now, and all I'm seeing is a snake. A lying snake that... slithered its way into my house."

The metaphor seemed to have run dry. He found another.

"Us Faulebrands grind slow," he said, "but we grind fine. We'll see who you really are, Doctor Reifennen, one way or the other." He broke off, looking back to Ricard and Leopold. "'Til then, he can't do no more harm from in here. Come on."

The West Hall

Mils' plans did not take long to finalise: he and Gerolf had already been discussing them before the others' arrival. With the lord of the manor's blessing, the bailiff left to raise the men and materials they would need.

"We'll leave from the village square on the hour," he said to Lothar and the others. "I suggest you make whatever preparations you need."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This gives you 30-40 mins.
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-05-23 at 05:09 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

While Faulebrand thankfully did not appear to be swayed by Reifennen's words, new doubts gnawed at Pieter now. If the doctor could call daemons, then why, instead of using them to free himself, would he send them against the ones who got him imprisoned? Putting revenge above one's own life or freedom was irrational.

Then again... so was spreading disease. If the doctor truly was guilty of everything they suspected him of, he was without a doubt quite a few cards short of a full deck underneath his respectable exterior.

Maybe he thought Esther's help was a sure thing... But why would he be so certain? She never agreed to anything. The doctor poisoned Alexa before he even gave Esther the letter.

"Alright," sighed Pieter, "I believe we're done. Lord Verloren will have the final word when he gets around to reading the blotting paper."

Strange. I could have sworn I saw Esther a minute earlier.

Spoiler
    Show
    If any more words are being traded between the people who went downstairs, I may have to go back in time in posts to come. I hope I'm not getting too far ahead.

When he got upstairs, he nodded respectfully to Lord Verloren and said: "Oh, sir, I almost forgot. When we met your daughter, a few days ago, she insisted to contribute some payment to stop the bandits." He reached into his pocket for the silver pendant shaped like a Shallyan dove and showed it to the lord. [link] "I felt guilty to accept it from her, so I said we'd keep it only if we managed to deal with the problem without bloodshed, as Shallya would wish. Obviously it didn't work out that way. With your permission, I'll go give it back to her with my apologies while I'm here."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-05-23 at 05:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

The West Hall

Mils looked askance at Pieter, but the request could hardly be construed as anything but innocent.

"...Of course," he said, looking over his shoulder. His daughter's absence seemed to strike him. "Where has she got to?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter shared with the nobleman a look of bafflement that was not at all feigned. "No idea. She was with us a moment ago..." He shrugged and went upstairs to Esther's room.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

She spoke to Ricard and I and ran off, upset. Illiiya said deadpan, So... we'll be waiting for more daemons to claim us then? Wonderful.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

Sigurd has been standing as close to the fire as he could edge without blocking it for others. Why, oh why couldn't Verloren just offer him a seat? But he wasn't about to break etiquette and take one uninvited. Setting his teeth and swaying slightly with weariness, he lost himself in his own inner thoughts while people talked and planned.

Finally he heard that it was time to go. That was good enough news, but then the elf started to blurt out...

"So... we'll be waiting for more daemons t--"

"Thank you my Lord," he says quickly on top of her. "We'll be ready within the hour."

He turns and waits as the others usher out. Moving slowly is easy thanks to the sickness, and he makes sure he's last out.

Turning back to Verloren, he says softly and without lying: "Lord, please forgive me for what I said. I only want to see things get better."
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2012-05-23 at 10:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Lothar scratched at his beard."I've been rackin' my mind, tryin' to think of somethin'- but all I can think of is sword-work an' fire. I'll be ready to go when you call, m'lord."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm fully armoured, right?
    Games:

=

=

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

"Thank you my Lord," he says quickly on top of her. "We'll be ready within the hour."

Illiiya turned to Sigurd slowly, with a an odd look somewhere between confusion and irritation. It took her a moment to realize the magus seemed odd to her... His movements were slower and he was quieter. She had... rarely seen Mr. Waite quiet, lest something was wrong. She decided not to press him, and held her tongue.

She feared to see how bad things might become if they waited... but perhaps Sigurd had some sort of plan.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry... I HAD to throw in that link.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2012-05-24 at 01:52 PM.