New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart (II)

Pieter's heart leaped in his throat every time the tree crushed a man.

"Stop," he told Gerolf, trying to keep his voice steady, "it's pointless to get nearer if we don't have enough fuel."

Probably a pointless piece of advice. By now, even the bravest were trying to get away from the tree. This was a massacre... The initiate was reminded of the rebels in Delberz.

This tree had better be the cause of the evil.

Just how reliable were Illiiya's dreams? What if she had mistaken meaningless dreams for genuine visions? Then it was all for nothing. But Mr Waite had been the one to tell them to destroy the tree, initially. Let him tell the dead men's families that their beloved son, or husband, or father, would not be coming back. Pieter had never approved of that idea, and he washed his hands of it all. Or so he tried to tell himself.

He just stood by and watched, feeling like a coward, as the roots wrapped around Axel's body. When the man's ribs cracked, the initiate almost dropped his bundle of straw to rescue him. He quickly dismissed the idea.

He's gone. You're not a hero, you're a survivor. The time may come to risk your life, but this isn't it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus looks on in despair at the brutality in front of him. He begins to lower his crossbow. You can't help them by getting killed. No way going near that thing is going to keep you alive. For the first time since he had fled the Cathedral tower in Delbrez Ithelus was reminded of his true nature, of his cowardice.

bringing the stock back up into his shoulder he takes aim once again and squeezes the trigger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another aimed shot
    attack roll (1d100)[72]
    damage (1d10+4)[12]
    Sigatar by Me

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

Chaos is too thick here! Illiiya shouted over the din of the fight, The winds do not respond as they should!

"Welcome to Hohlesbruck," Sigurd mutters. But it's a mask for his concern. No sooner had he sent Indigo in than he regretted it; he admires her fearless bravado, but then, it's easy to face death when you're in a borrowed body.

Sigurd has a clear view of a villager lifted in the air and torn apart. The vision cuts through the fever dream and the searing pain in his hand. For a moment he feels a deep barb of guilt hooking inside him. Was any of this really worth it? Is this my fault? But he keeps his jaw set tight, the picture of a convinced professor.

He spares a second of breath to call to Indigo.

"Lector val Toram, Toram val Ramses, Ramses val Sexton, Sexton aho!"

Sides the wizard with the college, the college with the emperor, the emperor with the strong... Get out of there when it gets bad, and leave the weak to make their own way.

He only hopes she understands. Raising his cane in his good hand, he tries to grab hold of the winds once again....

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Channeling v. 40 (disease) (1d100)[38]

Magic dart v. 6: (1d10)[3] + (1d10)[5]
    Evil die: (1d10)[5]

Damage: (1d10+4)[5]

Confirm if fury: (1d100)[32]
    Extra damage if fury: (1d10)[1] (1d10)[6] (1d10)[6]

Indigo will try to rescue the most opportune villager.

Attack roll on roots v 46: (1d100)[78]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[8] (mighty blow)

Confirm if fury: (1d100)[11]
    Extra damage if fury: (1d10)[1] (1d10)[6] (1d10)[1]

Will Dodge. Will FP a failed attempt to avoid ensnaring.

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2012-06-07 at 11:01 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus’ bolt flew straight and true, but its target was a shifting mass of sinuous branches. The elf watched as the flaming projectile skimmed straight through the flailing boughs, arcing harmlessly across the other side of the clearing.

Nearer the stone gates, Sigurd put all his will into a missile of his own. The spell streaked out across the intervening air, tearing a pale strip across the bark of the heaving trunk – as it left his fingers, however, Sigurd felt the darkness in the air boil hungrily into the wake it had left, pouring poisonously past his defences. Intense pain lanced from the cramped claw of his hand, shooting down his forearm – clutching at the afflicted limb, he saw streaks of gangrenous yellow and green ripple translucently beneath the skin before fading from view. The hairs on his forearm wilted and whitened, falling out in ragged patches – weeping blisters bloomed in their place. His stomach churned in nauseous sympathy.

Illiiya’s spell fared better, slicing through the roots that clawed at Lothar’s feet. More rose up to replace the severed tendrils, but the soldier had already freed himself. His sword ripped and tore at the roots encircling the blacksmith, the others pitching desperately in with hatchets and sickles. Mathias thrust his burning brand into the tightening coils, but they were too thick and hoary to care. As the villagers thrust and hacked, the roots contracted further, twisting slowly as they swelled to smother their victim. They obscured his mouth, then his nose, then his face, until only one terrified, staring eye was visible through the lattice of twisting wood. Then that was covered too.

From within the mass of roots, there came a crunching snap of bone, followed by the sustained, matchstick splintering of ribs. The tightening coils fell still, frozen in the contorted effigy of a man.

“Fall back!” came the terrified shout. Lothar wasn’t sure who said it first, but one of the villagers was already scrambling back, swinging wildly to clear his path out of the tree’s deadly reach. The others looked ready to run – as they turned to back away, a whipping thicket of branches lashed down to ensnare them. Lothar lifted his shield over his head, hearing wood rake against wood with the fury of a hailstorm. On his right, one of the Hohlesbruckers was not so lucky – the clawing twigs wrapped around his arm and throat, ripping red gouges in his skin as they began to drag him thrashing backwards towards the leaning trunk...

~

At the foot of the barrow, Pieter watched the spectacle in horror. The blacksmith’s broken, thorny effigy stood there like a taunt, throwing its obscene mockery in the face of Pieter’s gods – overhead, the tree groaned and thrashed like an angry titan, already dragging yet another victim back into its hungry embrace.

Behind him, he could hear Ricard’s voice as if from the bottom of a well, echoing something about straw. Shaking his head, he turned to see what was happening. The young nobleman was pulling the shying carthorse forwards, keeping his feet braced against the muddy ground. The villagers surrounding Pieter had already run to help, pulling the bales of straw the animal was carrying tumbling from its harness.

Beyond Talberg and the others, another mounted shape was returning out of the trees. Leopold burst into view, pulling the second carthorse by its reins. There was no sign of Mils or the third animal.
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-06-07 at 04:44 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar hesitated, taking half a step back. Watching Axel crushed to death... the soldier flashed to the screams and the blood, and the time that he feigned death among the bodies of his friends.

He blinked, shook his head, and then turned, Nordland steel flashing, cutting into the brambles that had ensared another of the Hohlesbruck villagers.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Why aren't they retreating? thought Pieter, watching Mathias try to rescue a fellow villager. Country people. They were close-knit and relied on each other for survival. In the slums of Nuln, people were... not selfish, but certainly more pragmatic. They counted first and foremost on themselves, and they rose or fell by their own merits.

At least the Hohlesbruckers were not fools. When they saw Axel was beyond saving, they drew back. Only Lothar remained in an attempt to free another trapped villager.

Lothar, by the gods, get away from there, Pieter was tempted to shout. The words never passed his lips. It was not his place to say it. Lothar was more than wise enough to make his own choices. Instead the initiate spoke to Illiiya, who stood right in front of him:

"Illiiya, the sooner this man gets freed, the sooner Lothar will get out of there."

Ranald's teeth. Even Ricard Talberg is being more useful than me, he realized. He turned to help unload the straw, a task that conveniently spared him the sight of the villager being crushed.

He could still hear the screams, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    If it looks like the villagers can finish unloading the straw before Pieter even gets there, he will stay where he is and draw his sword.

Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    the soldier flashed to the screams and the blood, and the time that he feigned death among the bodies of his friends.
    One day, you should tell us the whole story.

I suppose LCP's 100 xp reward still stands. Only Drew and I claimed it.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-06-07 at 11:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

Sigurd ignores the mortality play before him and, doubling over with renewed pain in his bound hand, manages to continue his chanting.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Channeling v. 40 (disease) (1d100)[33]

Magic dart v. 6: (1d10)[1] + (1d10)[6]
    Evil die: (1d10)[1]

Damage: (1d10+4)[5]

Confirm if fury: (1d100)[74]
    Extra damage if fury: (1d10)[4] (1d10)[2] (1d10)[10]

Indigo will try to rescue the most opportune villager.

Attack roll on roots v 46: (1d100)[88]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[6] (mighty blow)

Confirm if fury: (1d100)[33]
    Extra damage if fury: (1d10)[10] (1d10)[1] (1d10)[10]

Will Dodge. Will FP a failed attempt to avoid ensnaring.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    One day, you should tell us the whole story.

I suppose LCP's 100 xp reward still stands. Only Drew and I claimed it.
    Do it!! I want to hear the story :)

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2012-06-07 at 11:23 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

It isn't working. They're all dying, and it isn't working.

If these chaff were not fleeing, it might.

They're dying!

Illiiya looked on desperately, a feeling of helplessness visible for all to see. She knew not how to aid in this endeavor. She could barely even muster the winds properly in this place. Their task seemed doomed to failure. All she could truly do was assist Lothar.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Dart to help the man Lothar is helping, so he can get the heck out of there.

Channel: (1d100)[36]
    Casting: (1d10)[10], (1d10)[7]
    Chaos die: (1d10)[8]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[7]

If for some reason he's freed another way before her turn comes up, she'll aim for the tree itself.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus curses as his bolt misses. Glancing down at his quiver shows that he can't afford to waste shots.

Blotting out the screams and sounds of crunching bone the elf reloads his crossbow.
    Sigatar by Me

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya’s spell cut into the branches entangling the hapless human, sending broken twigs flying from the impact. Not enough, not nearly enough. Neither were the slashing blows of Lothar’s sword, nor Indigo’s snapping jaws, nor the crackle of flame as Mathias thrust his lit torch into the rustling branches. With an awful scream, the struggling man was borne inevitably upwards, crooked spears of wood pushing into his chest from a dozen different angles – at last, his thrashing stopped, blood running in thick, dripping rivulets from the thicket of impaling branches that criss-crossed through his ribcage.

The other villagers were falling back in fear, scrambling out of the reach of the barrow’s deadly guardian. Looking up at the fresh body hanging from its boughs, even Mathias seemed to be thinking the same. Before he could turn to run, however, the great roots burst up like serpents around them. Lothar smashed them aside with his shield, and Indigo leapt and rolled nimbly out of their path, but the torch-wielding villager was not so lucky. A rough tendril whipped around his forearm, tearing the skin as he tried to pull free. Exploding out of the black earth, others wrapped around his shins and thighs, tightening slowly as they began to pull him inexorably down...

~

Running back to where Ricard held the rearing carthorse in check, Pieter helped Gerolf haul another bundle of straw down from the animal’s back. Two teams of villagers were already hauling the fresh fuel towards the scattered pile they were building beside the barrow’s stones; past Talberg, Pieter could see Leopold riding up, pulling the second of the unwilling drays with him. Mils too had re-emerged from the trees – but he returned empty-handed.

The rain was falling more steadily now, no longer coming in intermittent gusts – it permeated Sigurd’s clothes, the rising whistle of the wind making the treetops around the clearing sway in time. Seeking the peaceful quiet behind his own eyes, the wizard, channelled another bolt of magic towards his target. It troubled the tree no more than a gnat-bite, but to Sigurd it was a different matter – he convulsed as his over-stretched defences buckled, his contorted hand trembling as the tainted Winds of the clearing came pouring in. Staggering so as not to fall, he felt his bowels move uncontrollably, soiling both his clothing and his pride.

Over by the horses, Gerolf looked up at the northern horizon. Over the tops of the trees, all that could be seen was an advancing wall of water.

“There’s no more time!” he shouted to Pieter. “We have to get it lit now, ‘fore it gets too wet to burn!”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full force of the squall will hit in 7 rounds, rendering all the straw unusable as fuel. If the fire is already burning, however, it will be too hot to be extinguished.
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-06-10 at 07:33 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

Indigo tilts her head, catching her master's words on the wind. It seems to take her a moment to figure them out; puzzled, she turns and trots away from the tree, jumping over roots as she goes. Soon she's out of its reach and hanging around the hay bale team.

((OOC: Disengaging.))

Sigurd's sure he can hold his bowels together... surely -- no.

He throws a hand to his abdomen in agony as it all comes rushing out. Some uncompromising strand of Marienburg dignity snaps inside of him. He quickly puts his hand back at his side, as if nothing's wrong at all. Before he can even consciously decide what to do, he sits down hard in the wet mud of the clearing. Let it be mud, not excrement, they see on his trousers.

The wizard gasps for breath. He can't feel his hand... the plague is on him like a bedside spirit... and the winds taunt him.

He cringes his eyes shut.

And starts chanting.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Free action: drop to the ground
    Half action: Channel (1d100)[67]
    Half action: Magic dart
    Casting (1d10)[1] (1d10)[4]
    Black magic (1d10)[3]
    Damage (1d10+4)[14]
    Confirm if fury (1d100)[59]
    Additional damage if fury (1d10)[6] (1d10)[7] (1d10)[7] (1d10)[10]

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

This isn't working...

At last, we agree.

Illiiya looked helplessly at the scene before her. Without reliable use of her magic, she felt helpless. She may as well be the half-nude, tattered thing Ithelus pulled out of the ashes of Gavinsburough again.

This thing does NOT best us. One spell... it is all we need.

People! Illiiya cried over the din of the battle. Flee now, and these deaths have been in vain! Press on, for their sake!

And focusing intently, Illiiya took a risk she had taken once before. Hopefully this time, it would not end with the magical cataclysm that had claimed a town.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's only one way we'll take the king at this point... and it's gonna involve sacrificing a lot more pawns. Illiiya is attempting acceptance of fate again.

Channel: (1d100)[78]
    Casting Dice: (1d10)[8], (1d10)[1], (1d10)[6]
    Chaos Dice: (1d10)[8]

Yes... I used dark magic. Yes... this will bite me in the ass. But what are the odds she ends up a gibbering amnesiac AGAIN?

Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus lowers his crossbow, looking to the sky. the coulds make his feel almost clauterphobic mixed with an impending sense of doom. Stowing his weapon he moves over to help with the straw.

You shouldn't risk yourself for these idiot.Yet here I go. If Lothar and Illiiya are doing it then I damn well have to try too.
    Sigatar by Me

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Sickly lights danced around Illiiya as she cried her words, crawling like worms around her calves and through her bristling hair. At any other time, such a display might have terrified the superstitious Hohlesbruckers, but her spell had done its subtle work – the villagers were turning back towards the dreadful tree, a sudden resolve kindled in their hearts.

It was a good thing it had worked. Illiiya felt as if she was choking, the strength of her power fleeing her. There was a hunger in the sick air, yearning to swallow her up into the black soil of this tainted place. She forced the hungry darkness out, but it had cost her – she felt weaker, older, as if the insidious decay that had eaten away the long-rotted bodies of the beastmen was leaching into her bones.

On the crest of the barrow, Lothar fought his way out of the tree’s clinging grip, swinging his sword high as a rallying point. There was a crackling crunch of bone behind him, Mathias’ scream cut short as the torch-wielding villager failed to make the same escape. At some level, Lothar felt he should look away, but the hammering fear in his chest had melted into a serene, icy calm. He could see it in the faces of the villagers around him, too, the shadow of terror lifting from their eyes. There wasn’t going to be another chance.

“Get that stuff up here!” he bellowed, gesturing to the growing stack of straw that had been built at the foot of the mound. “Pieter!” he cried. “Bring fire!”

Hearing Lothar’s command, Pieter looked up at the writhing silhouette of the blasted oak. He felt none of the cool serenity that had washed out from Illiiya – and right now what he saw was the bloody, broken body of Mathias, spine folding through disquietingly acute angles with noises like snapping firewood as it was dragged beneath the twitching root mass of the tree. The man’s fallen torch was still lying on the earth between the writhing roots – as he watched, it guttered and went out.

"This is insane," he muttered, under his breath. Turning to Gerolf, who still held a burning brand aloft, he motioned back in the direction of the pitch barrel. “Come on!”

~

Slithering half-upright in the mud, Sigurd groped for his crossbow. Using his cramped arm as a brace, he fumbled awkwardly to aim at the swaying thing on the barrow, and pulled the trigger. The bolt hissed away into the damp air, vanishing into the rustling branches – whether it had hit or not, he could hardly even tell.

Illiiya cried an incantation again, marshalling her magic against the tree - her traceless, slicing spell did nothing more than score its bark. Around her, the villagers were hauling their bundles of straw into place, forming a line at the outermost limit of the tree’s deadly reach. Ricard was among them, hefting a bale of straw with a young farmer; at the bottom of the line, Ithelus was dragging the fifth bale single-handed, the elf’s marksmanship forgotten. Running up from where the horses reared and whinnied, Leopold caught up the other end, helping Ithelus the last few steps up the slope.

They stood ready. Thickening rain blowing in their faces, Pieter and Gerolf were running back with lit torches held high - looking out over the heads of the men around him, Lothar could see Mils returning to the field, reining in his horse to stare in awe at the torchlit scene...
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-06-15 at 04:48 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    I was waiting for Brenton's post, so that Pieter could mutter something under his breath about the insanity of it all
    Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "This is insane," he muttered, under his breath.
    LOL, that was faithful. Thanks.

When Illiiya called for redoubling their efforts, Pieter was impressed by the villagers' sudden courage and determination in the face of a losing battle. Even Talberg was proving willing to brave the roots. His own spirits lifted a little, even though his common sense kept screaming that they should just call it a day and come back with more bows and crossbows. If only they could be sure that what they did served a purpose... They had lost too many men, it would be unbearable for it to have all been in vain.

What are we going to write on the dead men's graves? Slain in battle against a tree?

If the villagers ran them out of Hohlesbruck tomorrow, he would not utter a word of protest. Perhaps they even deserved it. They seemed to bring only death and sorrow wherever they went.

Unless the gods send us where they know there will be death and sorrow, so we can deal with it for them. He shook his head. Don't flatter yourself.

He raised his torch high and placed himself near Ithelus and Leopold.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-06-15 at 05:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #136

Lothar held his sword aloft. Somewhere behind his eyes a tiny, ancient part of his brain was muttering that this wasn't right, he should be frightened, people were dying, something was deeply unreal about this. The rest of him was relaxed, ready, and his voice did not shake.

"Right, lads. Things 'aven't gone well so far, but we're gonna fix that. We're gonna burn this soddin' thing, and then we're gonna salt the bloody ground." The deserter paused, levelling his sword at the tree. "One heartbeat after me, come in. I'll try an' distract it."

In he went, the cthonic mass writhing up underfoot. Lothar ducked behind his shield, as the branches creaked toward him...
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2012-06-15 at 07:50 PM.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya pitched and nearly fell, her legs seeming barely able to keep her upright as she gasped in heavily for air. She placed a hand to her chest and closed her eyes, as if she were having trouble breathing and somehow, focusing would stop that.

Hurts....

We can't send them into the dark like that if we're not willing to come as well. Lothar, Pieter and Ithelus are in there. Do it for us.

Illiiya was still for a moment, before standing shakily upright with a look of resolve on her face. She was pale as a sheet and having trouble finding air, but she was yet unbroken. She could not trust her magic, but these men had none, and likely less training in a fight than she. If they could brave the roots, she could as well. She pulled her short blade from her belt, and watched carefully for her moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic isn't likely to avail her much, weak as she is now... so Illiiya is arming and getting ready for the fire. If a villager falls, she'll move in to help move straw in his place. If straw is placed, she'll move in to help defend it. If anyone in our group is grabbed, she'll move in to try and cut them free. If for some reason NONE of this comes to pass, she'll attempt to dart the tree again. But I'm expecting one will.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Scratching twigs rasped against the battered surface of Lothar’s shield, whip-like coils of grasping roots bursting up out of the earth to either side of the soldier’s feet – with a united cry, the men of Hohlesbruck came charging in, carrying their flammable cargo high.

Branches tore and roots lashed, scratching scalps and snaring ankles, but the villagers pushed through, hurling their bales of straw down at the base of the bending trunk. There were no wails of pain or terror, only urgent shouting as the tree struck back. One man was pulled thrashing to his knees by woody tendrils that came snaking up behind his shins, another kicking frantically as the reaching branches hoisted him bodily into the air. The trunk of the oak groaned like a ship riding a heavy swell, the shadow of its great boughs falling over them – for a moment, Lothar thought it might crush them all.

Sprinting up the barrow’s slope, Pieter came bursting to the fore, cannoning through the roots that tried to bring him down. Torch in hand, he threw his burning brand down into the mound of straw that had been heaped at the base of the tree.

For a moment, the torch only smouldered, the rain-dampened straw taking its time to catch. Then, slowly but inexorably, crackling flames began to spread. As they touched the drier innards of the bales, they leapt higher and hotter, multiplying into a roaring inferno.

Rotten bark cracked and blackened, the first germs of daughter flames crawling up the surface of the trunk. Over the roar of the blaze, over the rustling of the branches and the whistling of the wind, Pieter heard another sound – a high-pitched, keening wail, like green wood in a campfire. It wasn’t just the straw: the tree itself was catching light.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Serious Fire initiated. It’s getting hot in the squares adjacent to the fire: you’ll need WP tests to remain in them if that’s what you want to do.

Also, Brenton – you don’t need Parrying Stances, the shield in your off-hand gives you a free parry anyhow.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

It's working! It's working!

Illiiya glanced back to the ominous advance of the rainclouds, trying to measure if they had enough time for the tree to be consumed in flame. She had no idea how much damage the unholy thing could take, but she was fairly certain that they had little time left. Moving in as quickly as she could, she did her best to cut one of the men free from the tree's lashing branches.

Spoiler
    Show
    Holding until after our party has gone, but before the tree does... or as close to that as I can get. If one of our more combat-capable members can free the held villagers, bonus. If not, she's gonna risk moving in and trying to cut someone free with her short blade. Unless part of the fire is exposed to being trashed. If that's the case, she'll move in the guard and make a mental note about how much she really hates fire.

If the villagers are free or dead and the fire attended, she'll simply hold action.

Attack roll, if needed: (1d100)[58]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[9]

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

His crossbow bolt lost in the branches, Sigurd sat still. He stared in awe at the thing above them. His scholarly facade was gone, and replaced with the terror of a child on a thundering night.

He had never seen anything like this.

Mud squelching beneath him, he slowly climbs to his feet. The crossbow falls and disappears among the litter of bygone battles. His claw bumps the owl-tipped cane sticking out of the ground.

He regards it as if he had never seen it before.

His good hand reaches for the owl... with an oiled shhck, he draws the dirk concealed inside the cane. Holding it in his left hand he stares at the villagers mounting their charge. Pieter looks heroic leaping over the brambles and the straw starts to catch. Sigurd gulps.

He sees Mils astride his horse, similarly entranced. Something in him gets angry.

There will come a time, Magister Severus had said, When your commission requires you to go to war against the Enemy. This is your only destiny, the entire purpose why you are not burnt to ash.

You will answer this call without hesitation, without question, without a moment's pause. The Emperor requires it.

Sigurd stalks toward the battle scene. The dirk trembles in his hand. He is not a battle mage... he's never seen a battle, even from a distance. Till today.

Stay back and use your spells, Waite.

But they're tainted... they're... it's not safe. We learned that.

Gotta join the fray.

He stops. He can't do it. He can't walk under those branches... shaking, he starts to chant.

Spoiler
    Show

Half action: move
    Half action: cast

Magic Dart. This time, not at the main tree but at the entangling branches. He'll prioritize saving Hans, the only villager who's risked himself to help Sigurd (however reluctantly). If Hans doesn't need saving he'll aim for whoever else does. Pieter and other PCs top the list.

(1d10)[1] and (1d10)[9] vs 6
    evil die (1d10)[5]
    damage (1d10+4)[12]

Fury if needed (1d100)[89]
    (1d10)[1](1d10)[9](1d10)[6](1d10)[8]

Indigo stays some distance behind the burn team. She has no particular death wish, but doesn't mind fighting; she awaits her old friend's command.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter fought the urge to scramble away when the flames went up less than a yard in front of his face... He still had to keep the flailing roots from scattering the straw away from the trunk. His shortsword held low, the Ranaldite remained as close to the tree as he could without getting his clothes on fire and did his best to ignore the screams of the men caught by the roots. They were on their own.

At least the fire's burning well, touch wood. Haha, touch wood. I'm on fire today.

He flashed Ricard a nervous grin: "Tell me frankly, are you just now losing your mortal danger virginity?"

OOC: Defensive stance (-20% to enemy attacks). I will re-roll failed Dodge tests.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus's face is twists into a mask of fear and rage as the fire starts. His resentment at being dragged into this only outweighed by his natural instinct to flee. Taking a couple steps back Ithelus draws his weapons, a small part of him thankful for deciding to leave the huge axe behind, these roots were too fast for that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Half action ready sickle and dagger, which gives him a free parry. Half action to move to wherever he needs to in order to guard a bale, let me know if this requires any rolls (sorry I'm in a rush)

if no movement is required then a standard attack on the tree instead.
    Last edited by Exeson; 2012-06-20 at 05:18 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

"Tell me frankly, are you just now losing your mortal danger virginity?"
    Ricard just stared at Pieter. With a sudden motion, the nobleman drew his sword – Pieter was afraid for a moment that he was going to be challenged to another duel, but the blade was for the tree. A wild swing warded the wriggling roots away.

“Seriously, Hagen?” he called out, his free hand shielding his face from the heat of the fire. “Quips?”

Behind them, Leopold had his shortsword in his hands, chopping frantically at the wriggling, white-haired shoots that scratched at his legs. The fires roared up higher and Ithelus backed away past them, Lothar and the Hohlesbruckers falling back – their blades swung as they retreated, cutting a systematic swathe through the flailing thicket.

A blast of shimmering witch-light from Sigurd tore one of the entangled villagers free of the strangling branches, dropping him on his back like a stunned beetle. The other looked down in amazement as the crushing roots encircling his limbs slithered free, retreating back into the churning earth – their purpose became apparent a moment later, as the great coils came bursting up to hurl one of the flaming bales aside. It came apart in mid-air, puffs of flaming straw dancing and drifting in the gusty rain. In a few seconds, the last of them was extinguished, guttering out like a candle in the mud.

It was too little, too late. The hungry flames were crawling up the bent trunk of the tree from the bonfire heaped at its base, jumping up to catch in its leafless branches. The whining wail grew louder, joined by a dry, crackling, popping sort of sound – stumbling away down the slope, Lothar turned and watched in awe as the tree took light, branch by burning branch.

The squall was not long in coming, its hissing downpour descending across the clearing like a grey curtain wall. It plastered Pieter’s hair to his head, running in rivulets from the end of his nose as it soaked his clothes until they clung to his skin. Through the world of splashing, silver shadows, the tree burned like a beacon, the conflagration too hot to be extinguished – billows of steam rolled through the watery air, glowing with the ruddy light of the fire at their heart.

Over the rolling hiss of the rain, through the smoke and steam, he could hear it screaming. Its blazing branches were just a swaying, fire-limned blur, but he could still hear it, muffled though it was. Perhaps it was just his imagination, but it no longer sounded like the piping of green wood – it sounded like a woman on a pyre, screaming her lungs out. Somewhere not too far away in the mist of falling water, Illiiya heard it too, and shuddered.

By the time the fire had burnt down, the rain had relented a little – enough for them to see each other, and the outline of the swaying treetops around the edge of the clearing. The thing on the mound still stood, the charcoal remains of its branches twisting towards the sky like a frozen claw. The fires that had gutted it still smouldered, wisps of steam rising where the rain caressed its charred trunk.

Dangling from its smoky crown like highwaymen from a gibbet, the sundered, blackened bones of its victims twisted in the wind. There was a rending of dead wood as a jagged fissure spread through one of the ashen boughs that supported them. With an brittle crrrack, the bough fell, bearing Mathias’ calcined corpse to the ground.

The villagers only stared. Face pale as a sheet, Leopold turned discreetly to one side and was quietly sick.
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-06-20 at 06:10 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

For a long time, Sigurd stares in complete wonder.

The wizard has mud and some other stains on his trousers, and if there's rain on his hat-shielded face it has made awfully clear rivulets below his eyes.

When the tree-bough cracks and falls into the mud, he jolts to. His fever-racked and besodden figure dashes splurching through the mud and up the barrow. He takes stock of the mercenaries as he runs - he feels affection for them, somehow.

But that's not his target.

He saw what his Dart did. It broke one of the villagers free from the branches. He runs to the man's side.

Is he alive? Was he alive before the Dart hit home? Did he survive the fall?

Sigurd sees that he has scrambled off with the others, and heaves a heavy sigh of relief.

This is all my fault.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2012-06-21 at 08:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Soaked to the skin, and shivering despite herself... Illiiya watched the tree burn with a sense of disquiet growing within her. The shrieks rippling through the wind were far too familiar to things she had heard in the past. In a time she had forced herself not to remember.

It's done... She said in relief as the last of the fires sputtered out upon the wretched corpse before her.

But was it worth it?

Illiiya moved forward towards her party, checking over the numbers of the wounded and the dead. She stepped alongside Pieter and Lothar, and looked to the barrow the tree was guarding.

I hope what I saw was not tricks of the mind... She said softly, We should see what lies beneath. Don't you think?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter wiped the muddy mixture of ashes and rain from his face with his sleeve.

"Can't deny I'm curious about that barrow, myself. But it would be decent to show some concern for the fallen and the wounded before we do anything else."

He gave Ricard Talberg a nod. "Well done for a noble's son," he said sincerely. "You're not half the coward I thought you were." Part of him was disappointed to lose a reason to dislike the pistolier.

He walked around the scene of the carnage, trying to count the corpses still entangled in the roots. The tree... it had been screaming, hadn't it? Then again, it had been trying to strangle them with its roots, so nothing should surprise him.

Ranald's teeth, what a disaster.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

As the fire goes out Ithelus looks on. With a calm, measured pace he walks over to where he left his kit and packs it up again. The elf then picks up his 'liberated' great axe and regards the wreckage of the tree.

'This is the thing that spawned the demons. This is the thing that has ruined our chances of moving on from Delbrez. Well, if that bloody grinning skull doesn't want us to run away...'

With an animal scream Ithelus charges towards the smouldering tree and begins to hack at it with his axe.
    Sigatar by Me

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

"Well done for a noble's son," he said sincerely. "You're not half the coward I thought you were."
    Those villagers who could tear their eyes away from the smouldering remnants looked at Pieter with a wary silence. Even living under a family like the Verlorens, you didn’t speak like that to the aristocracy. Not if you wanted a peaceful life.

Ricard gave Pieter a hard stare. “You ought to be more careful, Hagen,” he said. “If you were a gentleman, I might call you out for that.”

Leopold looked like he might have something scathing to say, but he was still pale and trembling – words failed him. From nearer the tree, there came a dull thok of metal on wood. Ithelus was hacking furiously at the dead thing’s trunk, ashen bark splintering and oozing grey water where the axe’s head struck.

Ricard looked sideways at Pieter, then back at the elf: Ithelus did not stop chopping. Keeping an awkward silence, the villagers began to walk slowly back up the slope towards the charred thing on the mound. They surveyed its smoking remains as if they still could hardly believe what had happened, the repetitive thok, thok of Ithelus’ axe the only sound in the stillness.

“Told you,” said Suster, glumly. There was no reply – only the croaking of the crows in the surrounding forest, and the rustling of the treetops in the wet wind.

One of the villagers began to mutter something under his breath - an old rhyme, something the village children might have sung. He only spoke it, his eyes still on the blackened tree.
    “Elm he do grieve,
    Oak he do hate,
    But willow goes walkin’
    If you stays out late."

He spoke with the incredulous quiet of someone who had seen their mother's bedside stories come to life. Somewhere in the forest, wood creaked against wood, making head turn – but it was just the wind.
    Last edited by LCP; 2012-06-21 at 05:39 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya jumped at the sudden sound of Ithelus' scream, momentarily letting slip her facade and becoming the woman she was when she first entered Delbrez. It was only a few seconds before she realized what had happened, and she released Lothar's arm... trying to conceal the earnest panic that had overcome her for a moment.

Your Asur is breaking. Slowly but surely.

Ith. Illiiya called out to him, It's done.

She looked back to the flock of village folk who had seen the tree fall. At the very least, no one would doubt that the thing was possessed now. The cost had been very high though... she hoped her visions were right. Soaked and shivering, she stepped towards the stone "door" of the barrow... her witchsight reeling with the foulness of this place.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heading for the slab on full-paranoid mode. Normal sight and witch sight. I figure the ones who are going to follow will if she seems to be leading the way.

30. - Top - End - #150

Lothar had lowered his sword to his side, breathing. He stared at the tree, his entire body tense with Illiiya's witchcraft and the reverberating screams of the willow-woman echoing in his mind.

He absently stroked her shoulders, awkward with his shield arm, and followed in her wake as she approached the tree-turned-pyre.

"First, we collect the dead."
    Games:

=

=