New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Very Simple, Possible Soulknife Fix

The soulknife is among the crappiest base classes in the game.

Despite this, I'm wondering if a few very simple things couldn't easily bring it up to Tier 4. Basically, I'm just giving it ACFs without penalties here, and honestly this was very spur of the moment and not super developed.

Full BAB.

Grant it the bonus feats (as the soulknife bonus feat ACF from Mind's Eye) at 3rd, 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th level, but do not remove the sudden strike ability.

Grant it hidden talent instead of wild talent (ACF from Mind's Eye)

Grant it a shadow bow and improved shadow bow class features, as the shadow soulknife Racial Substitution levels from Dragon Magazine #330. If you don't have access to that, you definitely shouldn't look it up on 4shared. That would be very unethical.

That's about it. Getting 5 bonus feats and a bow probably isn't enough though, so here's some further expansion that doesn't just give it ACFs without trading anything in return.

Give him an adapted version of soulbound weapon (the Psychic Warrior ACF from Mind's Eye) that effects his mind blade whenever he summons it. This brings the total bonus he gets on his mind blade up to +9. You might have to switch the levels around though.

Possibly manifesting powers as a Lurk (from Complete Psionic) or as a Psychic Rogue.

Maybe...spamming astral constructs as the Divine Mind ACF (from Mind's Eye...you've got enough links by now ) and flavor it as a sort of creature made out of your mind blade?

If you give him powers as a Lurk, mantles might also be good to have.

Feedback on this is appreciated, although I wrote it up in less then twenty minutes
    Last edited by Empedocles; 2012-05-01 at 10:17 PM.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Very Simple, Possible Soulknife Fix

3. - Top - End - #3

Post Re: Very Simple, Possible Soulknife Fix

I know that there're much better fixes. This one was mostly an attempt to use official material for homebrew-skeptical players to make the soulknife playable.

But thanks for the link. This is awesome
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Bonus feats certainly help. He should definitely be bumped up to a full BAB, though, at a bare minimum. Maybe add lurk/psionic rogue-progression manifesting, but from the psionic warrior list. The first two might or might not push it up a tier, but the latter certainly would.

If you want an "official" fix, the Pathfinder version is pretty good. Better enhancement progression, recharge psychic strike as a swift+psionic focus action, and a whole bunch of snazzy "blade skills." Should be easy enough to back-convert.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5

Bonus feats certainly help. He should definitely be bumped up to a full BAB, though, at a bare minimum. Maybe add lurk/psionic rogue-progression manifesting, but from the psionic warrior list. The first two might or might not push it up a tier, but the latter certainly would.

If you want an "official" fix, the Pathfinder version is pretty good. Better enhancement progression, recharge psychic strike as a swift+psionic focus action, and a whole bunch of snazzy "blade skills." Should be easy enough to back-convert.
    I'll second this one, too. Really don't have to devamp anything save for skills.

6. - Top - End - #6

I forgot full BAB. My bad, good catch!

As for the PF soulknife, I guess that's an easily available option for anyone who wants
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

7. - Top - End - #7

I agree with the Pathfinder fix.

Your fix draws heavily from the Mind's Eye alternate class features, which I do approve of. Giving the soulknife the ability to use its knife as a bow isn't a bad idea, but ranged options aren't exactly the best fix for the soulknife. The soulknife's biggest problem is its lack of versatility, and that's more or less already fixed by the Hidden Talent feat.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    I agree with the Pathfinder fix.

Your fix draws heavily from the Mind's Eye alternate class features, which I do approve of. Giving the soulknife the ability to use its knife as a bow isn't a bad idea, but ranged options aren't exactly the best fix for the soulknife. The soulknife's biggest problem is its lack of versatility, and that's more or less already fixed by the Hidden Talent feat.
    *Sighs* PF has made my own ideas so much less inspiring

The bow isn't meant to make it a ranged combatant, but more to give it an option against flying character, even if it isn't a good one.
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post
    Sorry, man.

The bow isn't meant to make it a ranged combatant, but more to give it an option against flying character, even if it isn't a good one.
    A better choice might be to increase the range increment of the Throw Mind Blade ability-- maybe extend it to 60 feet.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

10. - Top - End - #10

Maybe grant them the ability to spend PP as a swift action for various movement speed effects?
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Can I suggest a simple fix?

Make it a prestige class again as it was in 3E. For the psychic warrior, with almost full power progression (say, 8/10) and most of the features condensed down to 10 levels.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Even simpler . . .
    1. Mesh the Psychic Warrior and the Soulknife together (as in gestalt).
    2. Play around with feature positions a bit, for a more or less even spread.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Can I suggest a simple fix?

Make it a prestige class again as it was in 3E. For the psychic warrior, with almost full power progression (say, 8/10) and most of the features condensed down to 10 levels.
    To simplify things, it should let you manifest call weaponry at will and let you tweak the summoned weapon instead of the normal soulknife class features. One issue I have with the Soulknife is its complexity.

Yeah, I think that's actually a cool idea. If it has full BAB then it could be worth the reduced manifester progression.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-05-02 at 09:46 AM.
    I make games.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    Even simpler . . .
    2. Play around with feature positions a bit, for a more or less even spread.
    That seems like it could be a little OP (maybe Tier 2...?)
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Even simpler . . .
    I would do monk and soulknife (and then let the monk use his soulknife as a ki strike weapon or imbue his fists with psychic strike/soulknife enhancements); they're more thematically similar.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

That seems like it could be a little OP (maybe Tier 2...?)
    As far as my understanding of the tier analysis goes, there's nothing in the Soulknife's features that I notice that can bring the Psychic Warrior from tier 3 to tier 2. They don't even synergize all that well. The most that'll happen is some wealth saving thanks to mind blade enhancement & Psychic Strike, the never-unarmed bit and all good saves.
    Nothing special to write home about, but it does make a character feel more round and complete, and without the need to multiclass or PrC - which would be a nice change.

@Yitzi: I suggested the Psychic Warrior mesh because it seems to me like the more versatile and interesting class of the trio. For me, the core Monk is beyong redemption without some serious overhaul. Except for Knife to the Soul, I don't see any of the Soulknife's abilities bringing new options to the gaming table as far as the Monk goes. A bit more offensive kick, but nothing to make it more fun (unless higher numbers are all that one's after). Correct me if I'm missing anything.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

@Yitzi: I suggested the Psychic Warrior mesh because it seems to me like the more versatile and interesting class of the trio. For me, the core Monk is beyong redemption without some serious overhaul.
    I don't really see it that way. It definitely needs boosting, but the monk has some interesting options.

Except for Knife to the Soul, I don't see any of the Soulknife's abilities bringing new options to the gaming table as far as the Monk goes. A bit more offensive kick, but nothing to make it more fun (unless higher numbers are all that one's after). Correct me if I'm missing anything.
    Once you add in offensive kick (more than just a bit more, by the way, as soulknife enhancement bonuses are quite significant) and a few extra options such as Bladewind and throwing mindblades, I'm not sure what's missing (well, assuming we're not judging by full-caster standards.)

The ranged option in particular is interesting, as it means that a solo soulknife would be extremely good at kiting.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I recently had someone show me something that I think is a pretty damn good fix.
    Feats.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance