New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default A very specific template

Long story short, for campaign reasons, I need a template that approximately duplicates the power-level of 20th level WBL. I've never really operated on that level, though, so I'm not sure exactly how much to give.

Here are my thoughts so far:

Elemental Champion
    • A +10 bonus to two abilities, a +6 to two, and a +4 to the last two.
    • The ability to create masterwork armor with up to a +10 enhancement bonus
    • The ability to create masterwork weapons with up to a +10 enhancement bonus
    • 120ft fly speed (perfect)
    • DR 10/--
    • SR 25
    • +10 resistance bonus to saves
    • Fast Healing 5
    • Continual true seeing effect
    • Immunity to one elemental type, resistance 10 to the others
    • The abilities of a Ring of Elemental Command, of the same energy type you're immune to, but with all abilities usable at will
    • The ability to teleport between areas of your chosen element as a move action (Dimension Door range)
    • All of your attacks deal an extra 10 points of energy damage of your chosen elemental type
    • Spells with the same elemental subtype as your chosen element are automatically empowered.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A very specific template

shouldnt the spell resistance be 32?

I assume the LA is +20? or is it LA Automatic 20?
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm not sure about what you should be going for, but may I suggest just seeing how much it would cost to buy items that did these? I think that's the most obvious way to figure out what you want.

Edit > I think, Taopat, that this is meant to replace the normal wbl (of course I could be misinterpreting as he never actually said that), though that has issues of its own (such as still being able to equip magic items). So LA is probably unnecessary.
    Last edited by eftexar; 2012-05-01 at 11:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry if there's some confusion. Here's what's up:

The party is currently around 14th level, and we've got about one session left in the campaign. After that, the school year ends, one or two guys will graduate, and so on. But either way, we're retiring these characters, so I want to go out in epic fashion.

The party is about ten minutes of game-time away from obtaining the Elemental Spheres, a set of incalculably powerful McGruffin artifacts, in order to prevent the primordial dragon-gods from awakening. I don't want it to be just an "I wish" thing, so I was thinking that one of said dragon-gods is already awake, and is coming after them. I want to end things with a truly epic fight, so I hit upon the idea that the power of the spheres enables the characters to instantly hit "their peak potential" (read: level 20). The surge of power will consume their (non-artifact) weapons, they go ah-ha!, and the battle commences, complete with "normal" dragons everywhere using minion rules.

So yes, eftexar, the template is meant to replace WBL, and it'll only be used for one game.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Knowing that this is an 11th hour superpower template, I would like to see more then just a WBL replacement, and outright have this do things unique to each character, if there is a paladin, have the template grant great smiting, let the rogue force flatfooted. Burrow and swim speeds at 30 feet/round. Trans-planar combat. make it badass
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I deffinently agree with making this really stand out. It will make the final fight all that more memorable if the characters are ramped up to immense power. Obviously you'll have to make sure that the final boss can challenge them still but that will only hieghten the fight if your players have the thought process of "oh dang we're more powerful then we have ever dreamed but this guy is still wooping our rears"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... do you have suggestions beyond the usual class capstones? The group consists of a modified crusader (traded in steely resolve and smite for a paladin mount), a favored soul of Saint Cuthburt, a beastman, a sorcerer/sand shaper/war wizard (I think), and a swashbuckler fix based on Ziegander's "action hero" fighter fix.

(Vridish, I totally agree, and I feel like a multi-stage fight against an army of dragons after being insta-leveled six levels probably qualifies)
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... do you have suggestions beyond the usual class capstones? The group consists of a modified crusader (traded in steely resolve and smite for a paladin mount), a favored soul of Saint Cuthburt, a beastman, a sorcerer/sand shaper/war wizard (I think), and a swashbuckler fix based on Ziegander's "action hero" fighter fix.

(Vridish, I totally agree, and I feel like a multi-stage fight against an army of dragons after being insta-leveled six levels probably qualifies)
    well, obviously the Crusader's mount becomes a Celestial Phoenix.
    FVS of St. Cuthburt: Smite Evil+Measure of Conviction? I dunno, i stopped liking Cuthburt when i read up on that god, not enough ply for my taste
    Beastman: Obviously give him Elemental Beast forms.
    Sorcy: also no idea
    Swashbuckler: again, maybe can force flat footed?

asto something with the template: you forgot Fortification

Drow avatar @ myself

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Do any of the PC's lean towards elements or want to be X element?

If so deffently aim to wards each, it's 11th hour superpowers so let them have some fun "picking" them out.

Air screams best fly speed, Fire should be flashy as hell, earth should get a burow and such, Water a swim speed that still leaves a 5th element needed for the 5th player though.

But I'd defiantly give each player a template that feels "right" for them, not only would it add to the fun but also add a layer of destiny to final fight.