New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default A Divine Oracle, a Spellstorm Mage, and a Battle Mage walk into a bar...

... and see you sitting there. You are a 10th level Eladrin Orb Wizard (23INT/20WIS). They say to you, "one of us will teach you the secrets to our power but you can only choose one." Who do you pick?
    Last edited by INDYSTAR188; 2012-05-05 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Grammar's difficult!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Divine Oracle, a Spellstorm Mage, and a Battle Mage walk into a bar...

Quote Originally Posted by INDYSTAR188 View Post
    ... and see you sitting there. You are a 10th level Eladrin Orb Wizard (23INT/20WIS). They say to you, "one of us will teach you the secrets to our power but you can only choose one." Who do you pick?
    That depends on what you want.

Spellstorm Mage is one of the best PPs in the book. Storm Cage is an excellent power that you'll likely use every combat, you'll deal lots more damage with an action point, and you get a recharge ability that people normally pay an epic feat for. You get all of this straight at level 11; admittedly you don't get much afterwards.

Divine Oracle is rather less flashy and is taken mainly for its L16 ability. This means that you should only consider this path if the campaign is likely to get that high, and if you use predominantly spells that target will. Its L12 utility is excellent and an initiative bonus never hurts, but overal this isn't as impressive at levels 1-15.

Battle Mage is actually rather lacklustre. Creatures are unlikely to provoke OAs from you ever, and getting you back up when you're down is the leader's job, and its L11 power is basically Thunderwave. A big to-hit bonus on an action point is very good, but most of this path's options don't help unless you get bloodied and dropped a lot (in which case, your party should reconsider its tactics).

Note that the Reserve Maneuver feat can be used to swap out a L11 paragon path power if it's not very good; this is recommended for both Oracle and Battle mage.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Divine Oracle, a Spellstorm Mage, and a Battle Mage walk into a bar...

I think this is the funniest build advice request I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.