New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A:TLAITP: Avatar: The Last Airbender Planning Thread 1

Yeah, as far as we know at the time Legend of Korra begins the only airbenders are Tenzin and his children. The children of the Air Acolytes are likely to become airbenders, though.
    Still, in freeform we can indeed fugde canon. Maybe the next generation of the inhabitants of the Northern Air Temple became airbenders?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

You know, about the airbender problem..
    It's possible a few airbenders slipped the Fire Nation's net and survived the war. Those could have children and so on...
    (Just an idea)
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    In Korra's time, canonically speaking, there are exactly four airbenders. Tenzin and his three children. Five if you count Korra. In the time period that Morty's suggesting, there are exactly two. Aang and Tenzin (who may not have even been born yet). The Air Acolytes who live on Air Temple Island follow the way of the airbenders, and preserve their culture, but they are not airbenders themselves, and won't be for several generations, assuming that bending can be passed on that way (let's not have this debate here, it took up enough of the thread in the Media section).

Now, of course, given that this is Free Form, if we do choose a Republic City period, we can fudge canon a bit. Like say that there was a secret colony of airbenders who hid out in the mountains during the hundred years of war, and are only now starting to reveal themselves now that the war's over.

Personally, I don't really care what time period we choose, as long as there's some sort of plot or the setting is limited to a single city/area, so everyone isn't scattered to the four winds.
    I didn't follow the media section, so I will drop it.

After this:
    IF you watched A:tLoK, then you know Tenzin has brothers and sisters. Katara says so herself. Those children could've children or disciples.
    Furthermore: There's never been said how you get to bend any element (is it born, or learned? Toph suggests learned, but they're both real options).

Look, I don't want to take down your ideas, I really don't. I love airbenders and all, but I just don't see the point in bending the cannon. I like the story and setting how it is designed, not-bended (love the wordplay)
    Kid Kris' idea sounds fine. This won't be bending, but adding something to it (yes, that's VERY different), even though it would make less sense for aang to be the last airbender.
    So either this idea, or being a disciple :D

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: A:TLAITP: Avatar: The Last Airbender Planning Thread 1

From what I have seen on the subject, Air Nomads tend to work like an order rather than a people. Kids in the surrounding area are taken in by the Temples, but very few of them seem to be relatives of anyone there. Which might explain why we never see any parents or siblings of Aang in the series, Aang never knew them.

That is purely speculation, though. But if it is accurate, then at least airbending seems to be something you must be taught, even if there are genetical or personality-based requirements too.

One thing I am wondering about, though, is the state of Air Bisons. Do they still exist in Korra times? I am pretty sure Appa was the last surviving specimen after the Hundred Year War, but I am not sure. ^_^'
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

According to some material released by the creators apparently, (though I seem to have misplaced the source) Aang's first child was a waterbender, and their second child is a non-bender. Only Tenzin airbends.

But I'm glad you like my idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whoa, you guys sure took off without me! Anyway, here's my character, as promised. She should fit in most eras.

~

Name: Yoshida Sosumi.

Nation: Fire Nation.

Description: Sosumi is a girl in her late teens of above-average height, with the Fire Nation's typical skintone, black hair often worn tied back, and dark golden eyes that appear brown. She wears fine red robes with gold trim.

Personality: Sosumi is practical, straightforward and dedicated. She has a strong belief in honour and duty, so while she can be stubborn at times, she's highly trustworthy. Despite her straightforward nature, she's not stupid, and will prove it to any who underestimate her.

Abilities: Not being a firebender, Sosumi has trained hard in other areas to compensate. She's an excellent archer, rivalling the skill of the Yu Yan archers, and is also skilled with acrobatics, stealth and tracking.

Backstory: The Yoshida clan was a powerful noble family, renowned for their mighty firebenders. For several generations, every Yoshida had been a firebender of great skill, and the head of the household, Yoshida Maru, was no exception. Yoshida Maru prided himself on his bloodline's purity, and his exceptional power even by his family's standards.

Then his daughter Sosumi was born, and this changed everything.

Sosumi never had any talent for firebending, and was seen as a disgrace to the Yoshida bloodline. Even her father was ashamed of her. However, she didn't let this get to her, and instead waited for her chance to prove her worth.

Then one day, Yoshida Maru fell ill and died unexpectedly. Some of his relatives, including Sosumi, suspected that he had been murdered. Sosumi decided that her chance to prove herself had come, and set out to find the killer and bring them to justice.

Relationships: Aside from her family, who care little for her, Sosumi has no relations of note.
    Last edited by PurityIcekiller; 2012-05-17 at 07:06 PM.
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

I think I'm going to make my character, too.
    I'm going to make a crazy waterbender who specializes in ice (freezing stuff, throwing ice shards, etc)
    Characters:
    Hoffy T. Oast
    Peggles the One-Legged Pirate Giraffe
    Lenny R. Oast

Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies!
    Spoiler
    Show

This lovely creation made Dirtytabs

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

So... we're agreed on a period between the end of The Last Airbender and beginning of The Legend of Korra?
    And yes, only one of Aang and Katara's kids, Tenzin, is an airbender. We really have no idea just how, exactly, it's decided which element a person gets to bend if they're born a bender.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Here's my character. Yes I used PurityIceKiller's format. Hopefully, I won't get sued.

Name: Quato

Nation: Water

Description: Quato is slender, tall, and pale. He has wild hair that goes in every direction and wears an eskimo coat no matter how hot it is. No one knows his exact age, but he looks 52.

Personality: Quato is crazy and wild, but also very wise (think Boomy except crazier). You never know what Quato will say or do next, always keeping his friends and enemies on their toes.

Abilities: He is a waterbender who specializes in ice (freezing things, throwing ice shards, etc)

Backstory: Quato is a man of much mystery. No one knows where Quato came from. He just showed up in Ba Sing Se one day and started a turnip shop. One day, he got up and left for no reason, leaving nothing behind but a bed full of fish. He is now traveling the countryside searching for something. If you were to ask him what, he would laugh and say "Trees never grow in two places at once". One day, he saved Kamuno from a bunch of earthbenders and is meeting back up with him in the republic city and is currently meeting back up with him in...that city we're starting in. You know...the place...

Relationships: Not in one, although he claims to have loved a badgermole at one point. "Like a hairy and blind brother" he says.
    Last edited by captainspazam; 2012-06-07 at 05:01 PM.
    Characters:
    Hoffy T. Oast
    Lenny R. Oast

Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies!
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Hopefully, I won't get sued either.

Name: Zeph

Nation: Earth Kingdom

Description: Zeph is well-build, broad shoulders, with a slight tan. He is average height for someone of the Earth Kingdom. Zeph has green eyes and brown hair. He wear's clothes of the Earth kingdom, although sometimes he swaps his clothes for an alternate 'night' version, meaning the colors yellow become black.

Personality: Zeph is quite calm. Like a real earthbender he tends to look at his opponents and analyze their movements, before choosing a way to fight them. He prefers to discuss things with everyone before having to fight things out. Of course, like a real earthbender, he never chooses to submit, to give ground. He instead fights like no other.

Abilities: An earthbender who already learned sandbending.

Backstory: Zeph was quite a good earthbender. He started very young, placing himself as one of the most promising earthbenders. Even so, he slacked off. He stopped perfecting his own earthbending, but instead wanted to learn every possible way of earthbending. After having learned to sandbend, and having discovered tremorsense by himself, he now searches for the ultimate earthbending, something only one person had achieved untill then: Metalbending

Relationships: His parents and siblings are all earthbenders (except for his mother), and support Zeph in every way they can. Zeph had a girlfriend when little, but seeming how she moved away, he is currently single.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Before I make a charater, I need to be sure if we're agreed on any period or area.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Before I make a charater, I need to be sure if we're agreed on any period or area.
    I thought we agreed on after the war, before republic city

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree with the agree that yes the period is between post-Aang-kicks-everyone's-butt and pre-Korra-kicks-everyone's-butt (post-war pre-rebublic)
    Characters:
    Hoffy T. Oast
    Lenny R. Oast

Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Alright then. Here goes:

Name: Minoru

Nation: Mixed Fire Nation/Earth Kingdom parentage, born and raised in former Fire Nation colonies.

Description: Fairly tall and wiry, with tanned skin, black hair and a short goatee. He tends to wear covering brown, grey and dark red clothing. Most of the time, he also wears a thick, stiff leather vest.

Personality: Inquisitive, mercurial, but also quick to anger and easily offended as well as stubborn. Pretty competitive and tends to get frustrated when outdone.

Abilities: A bit of a jack of all trades. Capable with a pair of khukri and quite a sharpshooter with a crossbow, his real talent lies in his flair for tinkering and invention. He tends to approach all his problems from a mechanist's point of view, which works well for him.

Backstory: The son of a rich Fire Nation girl whose parents travelled to the colonies during the War and a local Earth Kingdom lad, who was much less wealthy than her which resulted in a falling-out with her parents. Both were benders of their respective elements. They remained in the colonies during the aftermath of the War, the controversy over the colonies and creation of the United Republic of Nations.
    The couple had three children, with Minoru being the middle one. His big brother and little sister are both firebenders, making Minoru the only non-bender in the family. This is where his competitive streak comes from, as he constantly tried to outdo his sibligs as they gleefully tossed fire around.
    As he grew older, Minoru felt increasingly restless, as though the family household was too small for him. He listened to the stories of the war, particularily the exploits of a boy called Sokka and a brave soldier called Wang Fire. He also heard about a man called Mechanist, who apparently lived far away in what used to be a temple of the extinct Air Nomads. Eventually, he decided that he will never become like them - and he had quite idealized all three - if he stays put in his house with his bending family and struck out on his own, travelling the land to learn everything he could.

Relationships: Despite leaving his family, Minoru parted with them on amicable terms - his rivalry with his bending siblings was of the friendly sort - and often sends them letters to assure them he's doing well. He's single and never had a serious romantic relationship.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Here is my bender as well.

Name: Spero

Nation: Water/Fire

Description: Spero is rather tall at a height of 6'2, unusually tall actually considering he is only 17 years old. He has dusty blonds hair that is unusual to water benders but it works since he inherited his fathers much lighter but tanned skin. He has a lean body frame from lots of swimming and warrior training. He wears cream colored light leather armor that offers his some protection and keeps his maneuverability. He wears a regular pair of blue pants with it. He keeps his trusty longsword Kagura, as well a his gladius Dignus at all times.

Personality: Spero is a pretty nice guy. His mother used to say that he was sweet to the point of a toothache. However while this was true it was known that Spero loved to fight. However he did not let it change who he was. So while he would gladly fight any challenger or, if he found someone strong, challenge them instead he did not let it dissuade him from helping others when he could.

Abilities:As mentioned before Spero loved to fight. When he saw his father practicing with the family longsword at the age of 6 Spero was immediately interested and begged his father to teach him swordplay. His father acquiesced his desires and taught him swordplay. of course Spero wasn't satisfied with just that and asked his mother to teach him water bending as well. His mother obliged but literally drove it into his head that he was not to hurt or bully others with his strength just because he had it. That combined with Spero's already existent beliefs caused Spero to constantly seek challenge but not throw his power around on others retaining his compassion and empathy. By the time he was 17 Spero had become scarily good at both arts. He was even able to incorporate the flowing movements of water bending into his sword style, allowing for both to be used simultaneously.

Backstory: Spero lived with his parents and sister his whole life. His father was actually a fire bender, as was his sister. His mother had been a little nervous around his father when they first met, but eventually learned that he was a softie, a trait he passed on to Spero. Spero had a loving relationship with his sister despite being the older of the two. However her penchant for pranks could be grating. Spero eventually felt that he could learn no more under his mother and father's mentorship. So with their blessing he headed out on his own to learn more about himself and to perfect his fighting skill. While he was at it maybe he would do the world some good. After all, if he had the power why not use it to help?

Relationships: Spero loves his family very much and is willing to go to any lengths to protect them from harm. Besides that and a few friends that he had in his old home Spero has no other relationships.

How's this?
    Last edited by AnimeKid; 2012-05-05 at 03:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

May I join?

Name: Basan

Nation: Water/Earth

Description: Basan is a tall and bald 27 years old monk.

Personality: Basan is a pretty disciplined fellow.

Abilities:Basan specialized himself in meditation and many forms of martial arts and healing techniques. Through those he mastered the chi-block art.

Backstory: His mother was a water bender from the northern tribe and his father a former Dai Li agent. Being born a non-bender his parents decided to train him in many principles anyway. At age of 10 he was sent to finish his teachings in an ancient monastery. Now he roams the kingdoms to spread teachings of good will.
    It's BACK!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm. I've noticed a lot of mixed-heritage people, although each of them has a different mixture.

I've also noticed a large number of nonbenders born among benders. Sosumi's lost a fair amount of her uniqueness. Oh well, at least she's still got her subplot and a punny name.
    Last edited by PurityIcekiller; 2012-05-05 at 05:15 PM.
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

So where is this going to take place? City/area and the like.

We'd like to claim a spot as an orphan waterbending thief following in his mothers footsteps (law enforcement never caught his mother, and having been taught by her he has the same 'calling card' (something to do with leaving water behind don't quite know at the moment) so her name passed to him).

Probably would need like a handler or a corrupt orphanage owner that found out about his mother and him and is trying to make him not so much of a gentleman thief.

Would need help with names. . .
    We love plural first person personal pronouns.
    Rejoice in the bosom of white text our child.
    Avatar by Gnomish Wanderer! (::) invisible cookies (::)

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    Hmm. I've noticed a lot of mixed-heritage people, although each of them has a different mixture.

I've also noticed a large number of nonbenders born among benders. Sosumi's lost a fair amount of her uniqueness. Oh well, at least she's still got her subplot and a punny name.
    It sound to me that we are going to stumble upon some baby Amon at some point. That would be interesting for the non-bender characters
    It's BACK!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the time period, I'd say Republic City, though it's a much smaller and still developing Republic City than the one presented in Legend of Korra.

Mah Character Draft:

Name: Kazuko Shirada

Nationality: Fire Nation

Description: A young Fire Nation noble woman of average height and slender build. Her appearance is typical to that of the Fire Nation, with straight black hair, shockingly pale skin, and bright amber eyes. With her traditionalist upbringing, Kazuko eschews more modern styles of dress, favoring old style dresses and robes, though upon arriving in Republic City she has reluctantly switched from the bright red and golds of her home nation to more muted colors suitable for her surroundings. Her hair is always tied at the top into the traditional top knot, and adorned with a small, two pronged golden ornament, with the rest of it alternately loose or pinned up, depending on the occasion. Her nails are long, pointed, and well-manicured.

Personality: Kazuko tends to be quiet and soft-spoken, though with a strong drive and obssession with knowledge, especially that of bending, especially that of firebending. She seems to enjoy knowledge for its own sake, however. While fiercely competetive when it comes to showing off her own skill, and rather disliking it when someone else knows more about a given thing than she does, she deeply frowns on violence, preferring to solve conflict using words, or even better, avoiding conflict entirely and going somewhere else to read a book or something, because words are not her strong suit either.
    The only child of a noble family, Kazuko has never truly wanted for anything, and would probably come across as spoiled or overprivileged when it comes to talking to people of a different background, and patronizing in her efforts to seem kind.

Abilities: Kazuko is a firebending prodigy. Under the best tutors money can buy, and influence can persuade, Kazuko has been steadily mastering the art from a young age, and has pressed herself to seeking out and studying even the most obscure firebending techniques and forms known to the knowledgeable sages and historians of the Fire Nation (the Sun Warriors, and their ancient forms, regrettably, remain hidden, though Kazuko has been able to glean some scant details and techniques from historical accounts).

Her movements are precise and tightly controlled, her stances perfectly balanced, her strikes and sweeps moving as far and as forcefully as necessary and no further. She is capable of creating lightning, and her fire, should she wish it, carries surprising heat, burning bright blue, though she typically restrains herself from this level of firebending, as it is dangerous and unnecessary.

Despite her talent, however, she is by no means an able combatant. She sees firebending as more of an art to be studied for its own sake, and perhaps shown off in flashy demonstrations of skill, rather than a martial form. Combined with her privileged upbringing in a peaceful household, she's pretty much useless in a fight, which is fine by her because she doesn't seek them out anyway.

Backstory: From a young age, Kazuko showed a talent and a passion for firebending. Despite not being benders themselves, her parents and grandparents, powerful nobles with positions in the Fire Nation navy, fostered this talent, though with a slight unease. Having survived through the tail end and aftermath of a century long and brutal war, they were careful to raise her in an environment of peace and kindness, hoping that she would not echo the mistakes of previous generations. They need not have worried, as Kazuko quickly proved to prefer books and libraries to Agni Kais and arenas, demonstrating her skill only in strictly regulated tests and flashy demonstrations.

Having gone through firebending teachers at an alarming rate, and approaching the frontier of what is left to be learned of firebending, as well as having been educated in all of the other skills considered appropriate for a young woman of her upbringing, Kazuko has decided to go out into the world to study the other styles of bending 'in their natural surroundings', partly out of curiosity and also in the hope to further her own knowledge of firebending.

Relationships: Kazuko was never much of a socialite, spending most of her life behind closed doors, and generally preferring books to the company of others.
    The only people she's ever really felt close to are her family and her tutors, bending and otherwise.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2012-06-09 at 12:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post

I guess the "non-bender among benders, driven to excel" concept is just too tempting to pass up when RPing in the Avatarverse. Hopefully our characters won't get repetitive.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I was going to do the exact same thing, until I saw that there were 3 of those already, so I decided to make an Arrogant Kung Fu Guy Blood Knight Firebender when I saw there was already one of those as well (well, a swordsman waterbender who likes fighting and an earthbender who doesn't like fighting but is good at it anyway - close enough) so I decided to make a non-combatant.

Curse you for making me think of actually original character archetypes! *shakes fist*

I may make a overcompensating badass normbal non-bender anyway. >.>
    Maybe of Water Tribe descent. Or maybe from the Foggy Swamp!

Also I love how after all our discussion about airbending and how to fit it in to the setting no one made one anyway.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Also I love how after all our discussion about airbending and how to fit it in to the setting no one made one anyway.
    I guess we've pretty much had our fill of airbenders from Aang.
    Characters:
    Hoffy T. Oast
    Lenny R. Oast

Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies!
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

If I were to play a bender, an Airbender would probably be my first choice. So maybe in the future. Depends on where this FFRP goes.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Airbender? Not an unusually short, dark-skinned, pick-axe wielding earthbender with large ears and a knack for tunneling, spying, wolfbat training and a bad attitude?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Amazingly enough, no. I'm not that bad about recycling character concepts.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, I'm torn between a chi-blocker acrobat trained by Ty Lee herself, or, since there are so many non-benders and earthbenders are awesome, an earthbender with the sensibility to carry a bit of rock (your earthbender could waste valuable time taking a chunk of rock out of the ground to defend himself, or he could try... ROCK BRACELETS! That's right, you can pay me to use this normally free service because I thought of it first. Just perform a normal block while morphing the rock that's already up at arm level).
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Alright, I'm torn between a chi-blocker acrobat trained by Ty Lee herself, or, since there are so many non-benders and earthbenders are awesome, an earthbender with the sensibility to carry a bit of rock (your earthbender could waste valuable time taking a chunk of rock out of the ground to defend himself, or he could try... ROCK BRACELETS! That's right, you can pay me to use this normally free service because I thought of it first. Just perform a normal block while morphing the rock that's already up at arm level).
    Hmmm...that is a tough choice. We don't have a chi-blocker yet, so you could be the first (plus chi-blockers are pretty schweet). Although we do have quite a few non-benders and being an earthbender would totally rock.

This looks like a job for a coin flip!
    Last edited by captainspazam; 2012-05-08 at 10:01 AM.
    Characters:
    Hoffy T. Oast
    Lenny R. Oast

Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by captainspazam View Post
    Hmmm...that is a tough choice. We don't have a chi-blocker yet, so you could be the first (plus chi-blockers are pretty schweet). Although we do have quite a few non-benders and being an earthbender would totally rock.

This looks like a job for a coin flip!
    Err... My character is a chi-blocker :|

Also... The rock bracelets sounds like the Dai Li rock gloves from the series. And I do believe I saw a few earth benders with rock bracelets : )

I was between a chi-blocker and a earth-bender with rock-cloth-stuff myself lol
    It's BACK!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MethosH View Post
    Err... My character is a chi-blocker :|

Also... The rock bracelets sounds like the Dai Li rock gloves from the series. And I do believe I saw a few earth benders with rock bracelets : )

I was between a chi-blocker and a earth-bender with rock-cloth-stuff myself lol
    *facepalms* Oh that's right. My bad. Well another wouldn't hurt I guess. Except for the benders getting their chi-blocked. They will hurt.
    Characters:
    Hoffy T. Oast
    Lenny R. Oast

Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies!
    Spoiler
    Show