New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Alright I challenge you

either way to kick another hornets nest into the air their are the two crazy Lock builds

Warlock 8/Binder 1/Hellfire Warlock 3/ Legacy Champion 8
    for 18th level warlock invocations, and a bonus of 18D6 on your normal 18th lvl warlock eldritch blast with no con penalty
    &
    Warlock 9/ Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 9
    w/Illumian w/White Dragonspawn template (bought off) with the improved Krau sigil
    for 18th level invocations, 9th level divine spells, and a few netted sorc utility spells

both are funny and lethal

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Pippin View Post
    Warlock 8/Binder 1/Hellfire Warlock 3/ Legacy Champion 8
    for 18th level warlock invocations, and a bonus of 18D6 on your normal 18th lvl warlock eldritch blast with no con penalty
    Doesn't Hellfire Warlock require 13 ranks in Knowledge (the planes)?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    Guilty.

Namely because I sometimes miss possibilities of what works well and what doesn't sometimes. Mayeb this thread should be deleted.
    Please don't. You're looking for someone to help you achieve something awesome which is sadly beyond your own abilities; there is no shame in that. I wish I understood the subject well enough to offer advice; instead I will simply proferr a bit of encouragement and hope that others can give you the assistance you need.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    I am quite aware of that. The problem is, Heighten Spell specifically says that you cannot use it to raise a spell above 9th level, and Earth Spell, while letting Heighten Spell raise a spell's level by one above the spell slot used, does not say it removes the cap. So, you can't cast Miracle using Silent Image, which means you can't use it to cast Greater Teleport.

Slight correction: It's a Conjuration (teleportation) spell, and you're only allowed to replication Evocation, Conjuration (creation), and Conjuration (summoning) spells.
    Your argument is very true but enter in that you can gain either the white dragon spawn template, dragonborn, or draconic template with buy off and use practical metamagic to get an imaginary 10th level and thus you have a Miracle

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    Doesn't Hellfire Warlock require 13 ranks in Knowledge (the planes)?
    yes thats why its warlock 8 binder 1 they both have knowledge planes

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well I shall present you one of the builds that I had more fun with, I don't have my books in front of me atm so I might check everything later.

My dear princess who wanted all the spells (or become a goddess) and has had some variations over different campaigns.

Bamboo spirit folk (from OA)

-Transmutation domain wizard, with animal companion and improved initiative (traded for scribe scroll).
    -Archivist
    -Druid/Cloistered Cleric/Human paragon/Archivist (third level is quite open depending on your needs, druid is the only way to end being able to wildshape, cleric opens divine metamagic, if you want to be able to disguise human paragon is great and archivist might be worthwile if no BAB tricks are allowed)

During your first three levels you need the following 3 feats, earth sense, heighten spell and earth spell, you will need a flaw.

From there on take levels in mysthic theurge, progressing archivist and wizard untill you have a BAB of +4 either by actually getting it, or by tricking your ways: can afford a +3 weapon (there is a +2 weapon enhancement in A&EG that makes your BAB equal to that of a cleric of your level) or are able to persist (DMM) a divine power spell.

Then you will qualify for arcane hierophant.

My personal favourite for the build is the following:

1 -Transmutation domain wizard with animal companion, improved initiative, heighten spell, earth sense, earth spell
    2 -Archivist
    3 -Druid with urban companion, Invisible spell
    4- Mysthic theurge
    5- Mysthic theurge
    6- Mysthic theurge Leadership (to get an artificer cohort with crafting feats to craft me the weapon, depending on your interpretation you can make the companion familiar the artificer )
    7- Arcane Hierophant
    8- Arcane Hierophant
    9- Arcane Hierophant Companion spellbound
    10- Arcane Hierophant
    11- Arcane Hierophant
    12- Arcane Hierophant Natural Spell
    13- Arcane Hierophant
    14- Arcane Hierophant
    15- Arcane Hierophant Spell-Linked familiar
    16- Arcane Hierophant
    17- Mysthic Theurge
    18- Mysthic Theurge Deceptive Spell
    19- Mysthic Theurge
    20- Mysthic Theurge

You lose two caster levels but you get.. 9th level spells in wizard and archivist. A 10th level familiar-11th level animal companion, personally I normally go with a baboon that is disguised (or at later level polymorhped) into an exact copy of my character. Most of the time you can get the character to appear whatever you want him to be, be it the familiar of your familiar, a skill monkey or a crazy barbarian.

Specializing on mostly buffs can make you good at almost every area, and depending on the power level of the party, or its composition you can adjust pretty easily. It has access to a lot of spells so you can get as cheesy as needed.

Once you get access to 5th level spells it is pretty damn hard to kill you, via clever use of spell phylactery. Be it through the channel spell of the arcane hierophant, the deceptive spell feat or the spell-linked familiar you can make it appear that your familiar is the one casting the spells (if you need it) or you can just make your spells invisible.

It is a really fun build to play, specially if you don't tell the players what exactly is your character. First time I introduced her she had used a permanencied reduce person and disguise to appear to be a little girl, possing as the familiar of her large ape companion familiar. OOC I kept saying that the big guy kept her due to the familiar ability to speak with others of its kind, since he was completely unable to speak.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

yes thats why its warlock 8 binder 1 they both have knowledge planes
    The skill cap is level +3; a level 9 character can only get to 12.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's not 13 ranks required. It's 12.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    Guilty.

Namely because I sometimes miss possibilities of what works well and what doesn't sometimes. Mayeb this thread should be deleted.
    I recommend instead thinking about what you think would be fun to play, then asking about that.

Do you like sneaking? Talking your way out of problems? Smacking things? Throwing magic around? Turning into other things? How do you like to fight? Do you want to fight with finesse? Beat things with a big sword/axe/mace? Multiple weapons at once? Your fists? Hit things with flashy energy beams? Scare your enemies into submission? Awe them with your saintlike magnificence or negotiator skill?

I've seen builds based around things like smacking enemies with flurries of 30+ tentacles, summoning an army of bears, beating people to death with spontaneously-generated flaming chickens, and even talking them down.

There are whole worlds of possibilities, and just about any concept can be good. You have access to the guys who can make it work/make it balanced, so you don't need to worry so much about the power side of it. In the end, what really makes a character effective is being memorable and fun, and being played in an amusing/cute/awesome/epic way that you and your friends will remember and talk about for years to come, long after the game is done and the character retired.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Your argument is very true but enter in that you can gain either the white dragon spawn template, dragonborn, or draconic template with buy off and use practical metamagic to get an imaginary 10th level and thus you have a Miracle
    Practical Metamagic only reduces the modifier cost. It still does not remove the 9th level cap of Heighten Spell. With Earth Spell and Practical Metamagic, you can burn a 7th level slot to power a 9th level spell. However, if you burn an 8th or a 9th level slot, you can still only Heighten up to 9, not 10 or 11.