New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Speech Bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I suggest "High Priest of Hel", as that is what is given in the comic (and is being used by the other stat tracking threads).
    Oh great, thanks! I should have checked on that thread...

2. - Top - End - #62

I felt like doing a count on the first 15 strips of the new book, and here are the numbers:

Update for 947-962:
    High Priest of Hel+70, Roy+39, Belkar+38, Bandana+37, Vaarsuvius+36, Durkon+32, Elan+24, Sigdi+24 (new on list), Haley+23, Andromeda+22 (new on list), Blackwing+14, Felix+10 (new on list)

HPoH is doing a lot of talking inside his head, and Belkar and Durkon get more dialogue. Bandana and Andi talk frequently, too.
    I counted Andi (formerly Sally) on 935, then 952, 956, 961.
    I counted Sergeant Sigdi (Durkon's Mom) on 947 and 962.

Also, the older numbers from the finish of last book:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Update for 926-946:
    Roy+94, Elan+74, Tarquin+67, Haley+46, Julio+42, Vaarsuvius+37, Ian:+33, Laurin+30, Belkar+25, Blackwing+21, Bandana+16 (new on list) Geoff+13, Miron+11, Hel+7 (new on list), Gannji+7, Amun-Zora+5, Bozzok+2, Enor+1, Jiminy+1
    Recategorization of Durkon:
    Durkon-36, High Priest of Hel +59

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

As usual, Roy does the most talking in the Order. HPoH is working his way up pretty quickly, though.

4. - Top - End - #64

Update for 963:
    Durkon+25, Sigdi+11, High Priest of Hel+9, Roy+7

Go, Durkon!

5. - Top - End - #65

Update from 965 to 981:

Haley: +108, Crystal: +89, Bandana: +36, Bozzok: +27, Roy: +24, Belkar: 21, Elan: +16, Hieronymus: +14, Vaarsuvius: +7, High Priest of Hel: +7, Blackwing: 6. Recurring characters new on list: Female Gnomeland Officer (9), Sir Francois (1)

6. - Top - End - #66

HPoH is losing their momentum, it would appear. Not surprising, as they was the focus of the book's opening, and they'll probably get some of it back when more of their purpose is revealed.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Favorite speech balloon tournament when?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #68

Oh, I'd like to mention that I'm now also counting the bubbles in the bonus material. I put these numbers in the OP in red.

More precisely, I counted them the last week, when I was ill and had nothing else to do. I made a table with all the characters and all the pages, so if someone wants to check whether the numbers are correctly counted, I can just send you that file. Not that I'm betting on many requests anyway.
    For the regular speech bubbles in the webcomic itself, I still use the german transcript/translation. That file can also be sent around to people interested.

Also, I should reveal which bonus material was counted, right?
    So, it's:
    - Every additional (not-in-the-web-comic) speech bubble that appears in Print. I have all the books, i.e. from -1 to 5, +D.
    - Every speech bubble of the following bonus comics: Uncivil Servant, Haleo and Julelan, Spoiler Alert, ...
    - NOT the speech bubbles in the merchandising articles. So, not the calendars, not the coloring book, not the magnets or stickers, and not the reprint drive "story". The reason here is, that I don't own all of those and don't think it's particularly important to give additional +50 counts to the main cast - they're leading the count, anyway.
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2015-05-02 at 06:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    I have all the books, i.e. from -2 to 5, +D.
    Call me intrigued, but what is Book -2?

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #70

Oh yeah, -2... That's this supercool book before -1. What you, don't have it? It's all about
    Spoiler
    Show
    those cool adventures of the Scribbles, and how Tarquin met the travelling Serini when he was a young boy. It fixes many little plotholes, too, like how Fyron's son resurrected Eugene those many times, before Xykon killed Fyron junior, too. Which explains why Eugene was reminded of the importance of his oath. And probably more stuff, like, about the sapphire guard before Lord Shojo. It will be great! (And probably totally different than we all imagine.)

(no, really, I wasn't paying attention to the actual numbers on the books when writing this. I still knew, however, there are two prequels, and since one of them is -1...) Error corrected; I have -1,0,1,2,3,4,5,D, just like yourself.

11. - Top - End - #71

Update from 981 to 999:
    Roy: +165, Hippo: +78, Wrecan (new): 71, Veldrina (new) +47, Thirden (new:) +40, Durkon: +37, Belkar: +31, Gontor (new): +24, High Priestess of Odin (new): +18, Vaarsuvius: +16, Sigdi +14, Bandana: +10, Elan +9, Loki +8, Haley: +7, Heimdall (new) +6, Felix:+5, Blackwing: +4, Andromeda: +4, High Priest of Balder (new): +4, High Priest of Sif (new): +3

I only counted those High Priests who had speech in more than one comic so far, which would be only Odin's, Sif's, Hel's and Balder's. Having 16 more twofers at the bottom of the list wouldn't add a lot to it. The same with Hoskin, by the way, he has only 3 so far.

12. - Top - End - #72

Does the "+218 as Vampiric High Priest of Hel" next to Durkon include the times HPoH is speaking as an energy spirit inside Durkon's mind, or just the times he is speaking through Durkon's physical mouth?

13. - Top - End - #73

Both what "Durkula" says to the world and what he says in internal conversations.

This even includes the few bubbles "Durkula" said when he was still a thrall to Malack, since I don't think that there is a difference between thrall-Durkula and Hippo - only that the thrall didn't have free will yet.

PS, I will also include the count of him as Hel's mouthpiece during the voting, unless the goddess speaks directly through the summon proxy spell.
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2015-08-22 at 02:26 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

Update from 1000 to 1007:
    Hippo: +70, Roy: +62, Durkon: +23, HP of Sunna: +6, Wrecan: +4, HP of Balder: +4, HP of Freya: +4, HP of Freyr: +3, Hurak: +3, HP of Odin: +2, HP of Vafthrudnir: +1, HP of Frigg: +1, HP of Njord: +1, HP of Mani: +1, HP of Hoder: +1, HP of Tyr: +1, HP of Thor: +1, HP of Heimdall: +1

(The hour of the vampire!)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't see Shoulder Pad Guy from the Vector Legion up there, Lord Tyrinar, or the Weeping King. Given, they're only in flashbacks (And each only speaks once), but that doesn't seem to be a factor for disqualification.

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Haar View Post
    I don't see Shoulder Pad Guy from the Vector Legion up there, Lord Tyrinar, or the Weeping King. Given, they're only in flashbacks (And each only speaks once), but that doesn't seem to be a factor for disqualification.
    added these characters to the list, as requested (the list with 10 or less only includes characters that are of interest. One-panel cameos like Firestorm and Batmanaren't "disqualified", either, they're just of too little interest, so far.

17. - Top - End - #77

I found an error!
    Specifically in regards to the formatting in the FAQ of the question "I found an error!"
    Your brackets aren't exactly in the right place, so the question is part in and part out of the spoiler box.

18. - Top - End - #78

I found an error!
    Thanks, fixed!

Update from 1007 to 1012:
    Hippo: +36, Roy: +27, Hel:+5, High Priestess of Hermod: +5, Veldrina: 3, Wrecan: +3, Highpriest of Balder: +3, Blackwing: +3, Vaarsuvius: +2, High Priest of Surtur: +2, High Priestess of Sigrun: +2, High Priest of Bragi: +2, High Priestess of Iounn: +2, High Priest of Thrym: #2, Haley: +1, Elan: +1, Highpriestess of Sif: +1, Highpriestess of Odin: +1, High Priest of Mani: +1,

19. - Top - End - #79

Who's Hippo? Do you mean High Priest of Hel?

20. - Top - End - #80

Who's Hippo? Do you mean High Priest of Hel?
    Yep. HPoH, or Hippo for short, someone else suggested it somewhere else. In other threads, I also like to call him Undurkon. I don't care for the Durkula nickname.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    I don't care for the Durkula nickname.
    On that, we agree (I called him "vampire Durkon" prior to strip 946). I like Hippo, though, so I might start using it myself
    Also, the color of V's bonus speech bubbles in the OP is missing a bracket.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2015-11-19 at 10:53 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Update from 1013 to 1025:
    Roy +64; Blackwing +54; Belkar +23; Vampire Gontor: +20; Wrecan +17; Vaarsuvius +16; Vampire-Durkon/FHPoH/Hippo/Phyrnglsnyx/Undurkon/Greg +14; Veldrina +12; Mr. Scruffy +7; Bandana +3; High Priest[ess] of... [Thor +19; Odin +6; Dvalin, Freyr, Hel +4; Balder, Frigg, Hoder, Sif +3; Freya, Hermod, Iounn, Mani, Sunna +2; Fenrir, Loki, Sigrun, Thrym, Tyr +1]; Hel +2; Loki +3; Miko +1; Felix +1

Darn, that took some time rechecking all the names.
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2016-10-16 at 07:11 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You list Important Supporting Cast as having 200-2000 speech bubbles. Shouldn't that be 100-1000? (if so, the Side Characters range would also need to change)

Also "Right Eyes Daughter" should probably have an apostrophe.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2016-03-03 at 02:50 AM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    That's truly impressive. Bravo!!!

And, it's interesting, since it shows that Roy, Haley, and Elan are by far the main characters of the comic -- it's their thoughts, ideas, and feelings that are expressed verbally most often, which means that the events are seen most through the lens of their personalities.

Intriguing.

And kind of sad for Durkon ...
    I find this blatant Anthrocentrism disgusting!

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I find this blatant Anthrocentrism disgusting!
    It's because humans are overpowered, and the Giant always decides his characters' species based on which is most optimal in D&D 3.5.

26. - Top - End - #86

Half a year and 30 comics later: new update.

Update from 1025 to 1055:
    Roy +132, Lien +62, Belkar +63, Haley +51, O-Chul +43, Oona +43, Eugene +42, Elan +38, Redcloak +37, Bandana +32, Xykon +27, MidD +26, Andromeda +13, Demon Roaches +11, Greyview +10, Vaarsuvius +9, Blackwing +8, Felix +3, Kwesi +2, Mateo +1

Update from Paladin/Scar Kickstarter story:
    O-Chul +536, Hinjo +218, Saha Kapoor +211, Zhou Bo +204, Gin-Jun +167, Pangtok +73, Tinktox +70, Shojo +50, Hobgoblin General +47, Sato +45, Clerical Supreme Leader +44, Nhek +34, Fat Supreme Leader +28, Ettin +27, Gated Planetar +25, Miko +25, Ngujen +6, Mrs. O +6, Mr. Kapoor +3, Redcloak +2, Zayan Kapoor +1. (Various hobgoblins +36. Various paladins: +20, among them Duong +5, Xo +2)
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2017-05-20 at 05:40 PM.