New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default Sneaky Blaster build help

Hey all, I was wondering if I could get some pointers for a sneaky blaster build.

For RP reasons, he must be a changeling, and I'd prefer Sorcerer.

What I was thinking was Rogue2/Sorcer5/Unseen Seer5/Spellwarp Sniper5/ ???

Rogue 2 just for the evasion.
    Unseen Seer to 5 mainly for Guarded Mind.
    Spellwarp Sniper 5 well.. cause sniping folks at 60' with a ray fireball is pretty sweet.

The last few I'm unsure of. Could put more levels into Sorcerer, or something else.. or finish out unseen seer. I'd like to stick with sorcerer for RP reasons, as I want the casting to feel 'innate' rather than practiced. (sure sure, in game ya don't really know the difference, but wizard just doesn't mesh with his back story). Not intended to be a super heavy hitter, but I'd like him to be able to be a real contribution to a fight at high levels. If engaged in melee, he'll always prefer to get away rather than go blow for blow.

The idea is someone who's been forced to live in the shadows his entire life, naturally a roguish fellow. A bit later in life, he finds he has a knack for the arcane, and starts learning to incorporate that into his current abilities. As time progresses, and he begins to fully understand the potency of the spells, he shifts his focus from being the dagger/bow style rogue, to a more spell oriented sneak. Preferring to lurk in the shadow and setup for that ideal shot (as any rogue should), and make that blow with a potent spell blast.

Thanks in advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Sneaky Blaster build help

Sneak Attacking Spellcaster Handbook

You could add some more Unseen Seer at the end. Otherwise Spellthief 1/ Wizard 5/ Unseen Seer 9/ Spellwarp Sniper 5 with the feat Master Spellthief and Practiced Spellcaster is a decent build.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by gorfnab View Post
    Sneak Attacking Spellcaster Handbook

You could add some more Unseen Seer at the end. Otherwise Spellthief 1/ Wizard 5/ Unseen Seer 9/ Spellwarp Sniper 5 with the feat Master Spellthief and Practiced Spellcaster is a decent build.
    Ok I know I'm being stingy here, but again for RP reasons I chose to step away from spell thief. While the class has some really nifty things, I don't feel it fits the character and his need to stay out of harms way (in the shadows). Looking through the linked guide however I see shadowcraft mage. I'm intrigued by this, will have to do some building with this when I get back home.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

I would recommend considering Magelord instead of Unseen Seer. You get the same +3d6 SA, but instead of "magic spy" the flavour is a lot more "ruthless killer" if that's what you're after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting