Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Grod_The_Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Nasty New Evocations-- because blasters deserve nice things

    All spells appear on the sorcerer/wizard and warmage class lists.

    Elemental Fury
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Upon casting this spell, select one form of energy (fire, cold, electricity, or acid). For one round per caster level, spells you cast using the chosen form of energy bypass 5 points of energy resistance or immunity per three caster levels. For example, fire damage from a 12th level caster would ignore 20 points of fire resistance or immunity.

    Elemental Rebuttal
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 3
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Upon casting this spell, select one form of energy (fire, cold, electricity, or acid). For one round per caster level, you may attempt to counterspell any spell cast with that description without readying an action. You may not use dispel magic with these counterspell attempts.

    Lightning Jump
    Evocation/Transmutation [Electricity]
    Level: 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Duration: 1 round/4 levels
    Saving Throw: Reflex 1/2
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    You transform into a powerful stroke of electrical energy and rocket across the battlefield. While transformed, you are immune to all physical damage and do not provoke attacks of opportunity. You gain a fly speed of 120ft with clumsy maneuverability. You may only make single move actions each turn, and you cannot cast any spells or use spell-like or supernatural abilities. You may move through creature’s squares, dealing 1d6 electricity damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) to the creature. A successful Reflex save halves this damage.

    At the conclusion of this spell, you are dazed for 1 round.

    Elemental Control
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 5
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 minute/level
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Upon casting this spell, select one form of energy (fire, cold, electricity, or acid). For one minute per caster level, you have total control over non-magical forms of this energy. You cannot create or destroy the element, but you can, for example, prevent a building from burning, or keep arctic cold from affecting the rest of your party. You must have line of sight to affect a specific source of the element.

    In addition, anyone casting a spell or using a spell-like, supernatural, or extraordinary ability with the descriptor you chose at the casting of the spell must make an opposed caster level check (or a Will save, for supernatural or extraordinary abilities without a caster level). If they fail, you may either prevent them from using the ability altogether, or chose a new, valid target.

    Inferno Touch
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: 5
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature Touched
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude Half
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    The target is filled with pure elemental flame, dealing 10 points of fire damage per caster level (max 150). If the creature successfully saves, it takes half the amount.

    Cityrazer
    Evocation/Transmutation
    Level: 6
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 100ft
    Area: 100ft radius centered on you
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude ½ or Fortitude Negates, see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    You unleash a burst of tremendously powerful energy, annihilating structures around you. Deal 10 damage per caster level to all buildings and structures within the area of the spell. Structures may make a Fortitude save for half damage.

    Alternately, you may target a single structure or construct within 100 feet and instantly destroy it, regardless of size or current health. On a successful Fortitude save, the target instead takes 10 damage per caster level (maximum 200).

    Meteor Strike
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: 6
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long
    Area: 20ft radius burst
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    A lesser version of the legendary meteor swarm, when you cast this spell, a 2-foot diameter sphere springs from your outstretched hand and streaks in a straight lines to the spot you select. The meteor spheres leave a fiery trail of sparks.

    If you aim a sphere at a specific creature, you may make a ranged touch attack to strike the target with the meteor. Any creature struck by one of these spheres takes 10d6 points of bludgeoning damage (no save), is dazed, and receives no saving throw against the sphere’s fire damage (see below). If a targeted sphere misses its target, it simply explodes at the nearest corner of the target’s space. Alternately, you may simply cause the sphere to fall from the sky. In doing so, you cannot directly strike a target.
    Once the sphere reaches its destination, it explodes in a 20-foot-radius spread, dealing 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) and 1d6 points of slashing damage per level (maximum 20d6) to each creature in the area.

    Acid Rain
    Evocation/Conjuration [acid]
    Level: 7
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long
    Area: 100ft radius burst
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Reflex 1/2
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    The sky opens up and weeps acid. Upon casting the spell, all creatures within the area take 1d6 points of acid damage per caster level (maximum 20d6). In addition, for one round per caster level, any creature or object beginning its turn in the area takes the same amount of damage. A successful Reflex save halves the damage.

    Inferno Ray
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: 8
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium
    Effect: Ray
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    You summon energy from the very heart of the Elemental Plane of Fire to smite you foes. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to deal damage to a target. The ray deals 10 points of fire damage per caster level (max 200). If the target fails a Reflex save, they are lit on fire, taking 5d6 points of fire damage per round for one round per caster level. While burning, they must make a Concentration check (DC equal to the damage dealt) to take any standard or full-round action. A creature can attempt to extinguish the flames as a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, with a 50% chance of success.

    The flames created by this spell are incredibly hot. They ignore all forms of fire resistance, and deal half damage to creatures normally immune to fire.

    Lightning Storm
    Evocation [Electricity, Air]
    Level: 8
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long
    Area: 10ft radius per caster level
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates or Reflex ½; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Howling winds and flashing lightning fill the area, striking down any who are foolish enough to enter. The area is filled with hurricane-strength winds, with all the usual disadvantages. In addition, multiple bolts of lightning strike every round. Every creature in the area has a 20% chance of being struck by lightning, dealing 1d10 per caster level damage (max 25d10). (Flying creatures instead have a 40% chance of being struck by lightning). A successful Reflex save halves the damage.

    The caster may choose to concentrate on this spell after it is cast. If he does so, he may prevent the lightning from striking his allies (or foes, if he so desires). In addition, he may specifically target one bolt of lightning per round.

    Elemental Mastery
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 9
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action

    This spell functions as Elemental Control, but you may control all four forms of energy at once.

    Mountainrazer
    Evocation/Transmutation
    Level: 9
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium
    Area: 1 mile radius, centered on you.

    This spell functions as cityrazer, but it instead deals 20 damage per caster level to all structures within the area, or 20 points of damage per caster level to a single structure on a failed Fortitude save.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2012-05-05 at 04:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Major Works:
    • STaRS: The Simple Tabletop Roleplaying System; my attempt at a generic rules-light system.
    • Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 revisions-- houserules, class fixes, ban lists and more.
    • Chopping Down the Christmas Tree: Rules for low- or no-magic item games of 3.5.
    • D&D in M&M-- Balancing 3.5 by porting it lock, stock, and barrel into a more balanced system.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TuggyNE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Recovering from RSI
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nasty New Evocations-- because blasters deserve nice things

    Some preliminary editing suggestions; I'm not sure if any spell levels need changing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Elemental Fury

    [...]

    Upon casting this spell, select one form of energy (fire, cold, electricity, or acid). For one round per caster level, spells you cast using the chosen form of energy bypass 5 points of energy resistance or immunity per three caster levels. For example, fire damage from a 12th level caster would ignore 20 points of fire resistance or immunity.
    What does it mean to ignore 20 points of immunity?

    Also, is there any CL cap for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Cityrazer

    [...]

    You unleash a burst of tremendously powerful energy, annihilating structures around you. Deal 10 damage per caster level to all buildings and structures within the area of the spell. Structures may make a Fortitude save for half damage.
    I believe this should have a damage cap, if only for completeness.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Acid Rain
    I have the feeling this exists somewhere, but I'm not sure of the source.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Inferno Ray

    [...]

    The flames created by this spell are incredibly hot. They ignore all forms of fire resistance, and deal half damage to creatures normally immune to fire.
    Minor point: how does this interact with Searing Spell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Mountainrazer

    [...]

    This spell functions as cityrazer, but it instead deals 20 damage per caster level to all structures within the area, or 20 points of damage per caster level to a single structure on a failed Fortitude save.
    This also needs a cap.


    Overall, a nice, intriguing list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

    Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    al'raith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nasty New Evocations-- because blasters deserve nice things

    I can't really comment on them balance-wise as I have no idea how to do so but I can say that they look in all right to me. Mountainrazer is devastating enough that I love it.
    I don't have birthdays. I level up
    Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 96
    When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1

    Avatar made by Zefir.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doorhandle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nasty New Evocations-- because blasters deserve nice things

    And fair engouth too, comparing it to the power level of other 9th level spells!
    Have a deviantart!
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Nasty New Evocations-- because blasters deserve nice things

    -Elemental Fury isn't too broken, but it's still absurd for fire to damage fire elementals. Perhaps say that it doesn't work against the racial immunities of monsters of the elemental type.
    -Counterspelling is normally a standard action (which therefore needs to be readied), so Elemental Rebuttal should probably specify what type of action it is (free? Immediate? Loses you your next action?)
    -Just so you know, Cityrazer is extremely unusual in allowing nonmagical unattended objects to make saves, so you may want to rethink that. It should also say (object) in the save description, as most save-allowing spells cannot target objects.
    -Meteor Strike shouldn't mention "spheres". It's also probably too powerful, as it does an average of 3.5 damage even on a successful save.
    -Acid Rain is also pretty much die-no-save against anything without evasion or acid immunity. Way too powerful, and the friendly fire doesn't balance it but does make it not worth using. But if you reduce the damage to something like 2d6/round and make it last only one round for every 3 levels, then it could be a very nice army killer for when allies are in the area of effect; just make sure they have acid resistance.)
    -Inferno Ray also shouldn't hurt fire elementals.
    -Lightning Storm says "Fortitude negates, Reflex 1/2; see text", but with no explanation for the Fort save. (It's a great idea, though; that's what high-level evocation should look like.) Consider making it a druid spell as well. (Also, it doesn't only hit those foolish enough to enter, it also hits those in the area when it was cast...)
    -Elemental Mastery isn't [varied], it's all four descriptors.
    My general 3.5 balance fix.
    My psionics remix.
    My common-sense houserules.
    More minor homebrew (weapons, races).

    Complete system remake (under construction, barely started)

    Ever want to try your hand at optimizing, but dislike heavy emphasis on splatbooks and/or the rocket tag phenomenon?
    Come visit the Core Coliseum today, for a totally different style of optimization.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: Nasty New Evocations-- because blasters deserve nice things

    Meteor Strike is not a lesser version of Meteor Swarm. Swarm does 8d6 bludgeoning and 24d6 fire damage, total 32d6. Strike (at CL 17) does 10d6 bludgeoning, 17d6 fire, and 17d6 slashing, total 44d6. I'm aware that Swarm is not that great, especially for a 9th level spell, but your 6th level spell blows it out of the water. The only advantages the original has over yours is the AoE, and the fact that you can hit more than one person with your meteor.

    Either site an improved Meteor Swarm, or nerf Meteor Strike. As is, I would much rather spend a 9th level slot on a Widened Meteor Strike than a Swarm.

    Edit: You also daze the target, which Swarm does not, and, because you only fire 1 meteor, Fire Resist only applies once, not 4 times. You do get DR twice though, but its not enough given the rest, and Swarm gets DR 4 times anyway.
    Last edited by Sypher667; 2012-05-06 at 12:50 AM.
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    ...magical trumps mundane so often that mundane really needs to be able to give magic a good kick in the junk now and then.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Nasty New Evocations-- because blasters deserve nice things

    All of these spells are very strong for the level you get them. This is not always a bad thing... as non-Contingency Evocations tend to suck major ass.

    Meteor Strike, though, is quite stupid for the level you get it.
    1) 10d6 bludgeoning with no save, and the target is technically dazed for eternity (there's no duration for the daze effect and the spell duration is instantaneous).
    2) 2d6/caster level slashing and fire, reflex for 1/2 in a 20 ft burst- original target gets no save on 1/2 the damage.

    Let's look at a comparable evocation spell:
    Delayed Blast Fireball, a level higher, is an evocation that doesn't totally blow chunks: deals 1d6/caster level fire damage, reflex for 1/2.

    So Meteor Strike, at a level lower, does more than double the damage, part of which has no save, inflicts a devastating status condition (I'm assuming you meant it to daze for a round and not for eternity) with no save, and has the same AoE. Also you should change the area to "20 ft burst, see text" to account for the single target part. If you don't completely rework this borked spell.

    Lightning storm should have its % chances to strike reversed- lighting is far more likely to strike stuff on the ground, as flying things are not electrically grounded... that's why birds can sit on power lines without being electrocuted. That's right... I just called for realism in D&D.

    @Yitzi- Actually, counterspelling is a "ready" action, not just a standard action. This means that when you counterspell, your initiative changes- with this spell, counterspelling is basically a non-action. Although I'm perplexed by the SR: Yes... it's a harmless spell. This spell is basically Battlemagic Perception (HoB) on crack... except that you can't use Dispel Magic (but you made no mention of its lesser and greater versions... you probably should) and it's elemental-only spells.

    TL;DR
    You need to rework Meteor Swarm- it's just too damn strong... it alone makes me want to not drop Evocation on every single specialist wizard.

    You should switch the % hit chances on lighting storm b/c that's how lighting works.

    Elemental Rebuttal should have the line: "SR: Yes (harmless)"
    Edit: and should mention not being able to use the rest of the Dispel Magic chain of spells
    Last edited by strider24seven; 2012-05-06 at 01:24 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Nasty New Evocations-- because blasters deserve nice things

    Quote Originally Posted by strider24seven View Post
    @Yitzi- Actually, counterspelling is a "ready" action, not just a standard action. This means that when you counterspell, your initiative changes- with this spell, counterspelling is basically a non-action.
    I suppose so, but the reason for the need to ready is that the spell is an action type not normally castable when it's not your turn, so it's still better to specify.
    My general 3.5 balance fix.
    My psionics remix.
    My common-sense houserules.
    More minor homebrew (weapons, races).

    Complete system remake (under construction, barely started)

    Ever want to try your hand at optimizing, but dislike heavy emphasis on splatbooks and/or the rocket tag phenomenon?
    Come visit the Core Coliseum today, for a totally different style of optimization.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Calanon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Anauroch (-696 DR)

    Default Re: Nasty New Evocations-- because blasters deserve nice things

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Elemental Fury
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Upon casting this spell, select one form of energy (fire, cold, electricity, or acid). For one round per caster level, spells you cast using the chosen form of energy bypass 5 points of energy resistance or immunity per three caster levels. For example, fire damage from a 12th level caster would ignore 20 points of fire resistance or immunity.


    ...So... you bypass 30 points of say, fire immunity... which would make it 0 damage... what?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Elemental Rebuttal
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 3
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Upon casting this spell, select one form of energy (fire, cold, electricity, or acid). For one round per caster level, you may attempt to counterspell any spell cast with that description without readying an action. You may not use dispel magic with these counterspell attempts.


    Alright this is cool... Add the abjuration type

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Lightning Jump
    Evocation/Transmutation [Electricity]
    Level: 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Duration: 1 round/4 levels
    Saving Throw: Reflex 1/2
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    You transform into a powerful stroke of electrical energy and rocket across the battlefield. While transformed, you are immune to all physical damage and do not provoke attacks of opportunity. You gain a fly speed of 120ft with clumsy maneuverability. You may only make single move actions each turn, and you cannot cast any spells or use spell-like or supernatural abilities. You may move through creature’s squares, dealing 1d6 electricity damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) to the creature. A successful Reflex save halves this damage.

    At the conclusion of this spell, you are dazed for 1 round.


    I like this spell... very lethal... but personally I prefer Chain Lightning...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Elemental Control
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 5
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 minute/level
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Upon casting this spell, select one form of energy (fire, cold, electricity, or acid). For one minute per caster level, you have total control over non-magical forms of this energy. You cannot create or destroy the element, but you can, for example, prevent a building from burning, or keep arctic cold from affecting the rest of your party. You must have line of sight to affect a specific source of the element.

    In addition, anyone casting a spell or using a spell-like, supernatural, or extraordinary ability with the descriptor you chose at the casting of the spell must make an opposed caster level check (or a Will save, for supernatural or extraordinary abilities without a caster level). If they fail, you may either prevent them from using the ability altogether, or chose a new, valid target.


    I like that spell... a lot... The Avatar would be proud

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Inferno Touch
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: 5
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature Touched
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude Half
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    The target is filled with pure elemental flame, dealing 10 points of fire damage per caster level (max 150). If the creature successfully saves, it takes half the amount.


    Its harm as a lower level spell...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Cityrazer
    Evocation/Transmutation
    Level: 6
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 100ft
    Area: 100ft radius centered on you
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude ½ or Fortitude Negates, see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    You unleash a burst of tremendously powerful energy, annihilating structures around you. Deal 10 damage per caster level to all buildings and structures within the area of the spell. Structures may make a Fortitude save for half damage.

    Alternately, you may target a single structure or construct within 100 feet and instantly destroy it, regardless of size or current health. On a successful Fortitude save, the target instead takes 10 damage per caster level (maximum 200).


    This only affects buildings correct?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Meteor Strike
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: 6
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long
    Area: 20ft radius burst
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    A lesser version of the legendary meteor swarm, when you cast this spell, a 2-foot diameter sphere springs from your outstretched hand and streaks in a straight lines to the spot you select. The meteor spheres leave a fiery trail of sparks.

    If you aim a sphere at a specific creature, you may make a ranged touch attack to strike the target with the meteor. Any creature struck by one of these spheres takes 10d6 points of bludgeoning damage (no save), is dazed, and receives no saving throw against the sphere’s fire damage (see below). If a targeted sphere misses its target, it simply explodes at the nearest corner of the target’s space. Alternately, you may simply cause the sphere to fall from the sky. In doing so, you cannot directly strike a target.
    Once the sphere reaches its destination, it explodes in a 20-foot-radius spread, dealing 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) and 1d6 points of slashing damage per level (maximum 20d6) to each creature in the area.


    ...Hmm... its slightly stronger the Meteor Swarm

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Acid Rain
    Evocation/Conjuration [acid]
    Level: 7
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long
    Area: 100ft radius burst
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Reflex 1/2
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    The sky opens up and weeps acid. Upon casting the spell, all creatures within the area take 1d6 points of acid damage per caster level (maximum 20d6). In addition, for one round per caster level, any creature or object beginning its turn in the area takes the same amount of damage. A successful Reflex save halves the damage.


    I see this spell and cried out "Tolodine's Killing Wind!" definitely love this spell

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Inferno Ray
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: 8
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium
    Effect: Ray
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    You summon energy from the very heart of the Elemental Plane of Fire to smite you foes. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to deal damage to a target. The ray deals 10 points of fire damage per caster level (max 200). If the target fails a Reflex save, they are lit on fire, taking 5d6 points of fire damage per round for one round per caster level. While burning, they must make a Concentration check (DC equal to the damage dealt) to take any standard or full-round action. A creature can attempt to extinguish the flames as a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, with a 50% chance of success.

    The flames created by this spell are incredibly hot. They ignore all forms of fire resistance, and deal half damage to creatures normally immune to fire.


    I like this spell...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Lightning Storm
    Evocation [Electricity, Air]
    Level: 8
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long
    Area: 10ft radius per caster level
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates or Reflex ½; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Howling winds and flashing lightning fill the area, striking down any who are foolish enough to enter. The area is filled with hurricane-strength winds, with all the usual disadvantages. In addition, multiple bolts of lightning strike every round. Every creature in the area has a 20% chance of being struck by lightning, dealing 1d10 per caster level damage (max 25d10). (Flying creatures instead have a 40% chance of being struck by lightning). A successful Reflex save halves the damage.

    The caster may choose to concentrate on this spell after it is cast. If he does so, he may prevent the lightning from striking his allies (or foes, if he so desires). In addition, he may specifically target one bolt of lightning per round.


    Rename it "Storm of the Century" and its perfect

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Elemental Mastery
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 9
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action

    This spell functions as Elemental Control, but you may control all four forms of energy at once.


    ...Hmm... make it 8th level, its not powerful enough to be a 9th level spell (but neither is Astral Projection and its been a 9th level spell in every edition... why? I DON'T KNOW!)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Mountainrazer
    Evocation/Transmutation
    Level: 9
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium
    Area: 1 mile radius, centered on you.

    This spell functions as cityrazer, but it instead deals 20 damage per caster level to all structures within the area, or 20 points of damage per caster level to a single structure on a failed Fortitude save.


    400 damage to all mountains within a mile radius... You... you can destroy a Netherese Enclave with this spell... and its only 9th level?
    What. In. The. Hell...



    Overall, I like these spells, very good improvement to the Evocation school... but the largest problem with Evocations is that they allow saves and Spell Resistance... I suppose thats always been peoples problems with them... but for some reason whenever I actually play a Wizard that uses Evocations I'm still able to pop people with Chain Lightning, Fireball, Meteor Swarm, and all sorts of other spells... Evocations is only bad in Theoretical Optimization but in an actual game its one of the most powerful schools of magic (if not the strongest) ... Next to, ya know Necromancy
    Last edited by Calanon; 2012-05-06 at 03:06 PM.
    Cult of the Playground est. 2011

    Proud owner of 1 internet

    Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.
    to join simply copy this.

    Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

    Killing a God, By Tippy
    Has your party been checked for DWS

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DeAnno's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nasty New Evocations-- because blasters deserve nice things

    I'll go through spell by spell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    All spells appear on the sorcerer/wizard and warmage class lists.

    Elemental Fury
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Upon casting this spell, select one form of energy (fire, cold, electricity, or acid). For one round per caster level, spells you cast using the chosen form of energy bypass 5 points of energy resistance or immunity per three caster levels. For example, fire damage from a 12th level caster would ignore 20 points of fire resistance or immunity.
    Similar to Assay Spell Resistance (though it honestly has a weaker effect, except possibly for Scorching Ray or similar). I would start by making the casting time a swift action; paying a full turn to get 5 points of damage per three levels through, MAYBE, on subsequent turns is a very bad use of a full turn.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Elemental Rebuttal
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 3
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Upon casting this spell, select one form of energy (fire, cold, electricity, or acid). For one round per caster level, you may attempt to counterspell any spell cast with that description without readying an action. You may not use dispel magic with these counterspell attempts.
    This is very interesting. It's situational which makes it a good wizard spell, but since you have to hard counter the spells it sort of favors sorcerers which have an easier time with that. I think it's fine as is, though it will see limited use.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Lightning Jump
    Evocation/Transmutation [Electricity]
    Level: 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Duration: 1 round/4 levels
    Saving Throw: Reflex 1/2
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    You transform into a powerful stroke of electrical energy and rocket across the battlefield. While transformed, you are immune to all physical damage and do not provoke attacks of opportunity. You gain a fly speed of 120ft with clumsy maneuverability. You may only make single move actions each turn, and you cannot cast any spells or use spell-like or supernatural abilities. You may move through creature’s squares, dealing 1d6 electricity damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) to the creature. A successful Reflex save halves this damage.

    At the conclusion of this spell, you are dazed for 1 round.
    Wording is a bit strange; do you still get your standard action and just can't use it to move, cast, or use Su? Are you not allowed to hit a creature twice in one move? Do you get to use it the first turn you cast? If the answers are no and no and yes, this is a fine balanced spell. If you can still attack with your standard it might be too good for gishes, if you can hit creatures multiple times in a move you can make it silly, and if you can't use it the first turn it is probably too slow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Elemental Control
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 5
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 minute/level
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Upon casting this spell, select one form of energy (fire, cold, electricity, or acid). For one minute per caster level, you have total control over non-magical forms of this energy. You cannot create or destroy the element, but you can, for example, prevent a building from burning, or keep arctic cold from affecting the rest of your party. You must have line of sight to affect a specific source of the element.

    In addition, anyone casting a spell or using a spell-like, supernatural, or extraordinary ability with the descriptor you chose at the casting of the spell must make an opposed caster level check (or a Will save, for supernatural or extraordinary abilities without a caster level). If they fail, you may either prevent them from using the ability altogether, or chose a new, valid target.
    This spell needs a range for its effects written in the description (I suggest not too far), or else you can stop dragons on the other side of the earth from breathing. Otherwise I think it's ok.

    [QUOTE=Grod_The_Giant;13180579]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Inferno Touch
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: 5
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature Touched
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude Half
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    The target is filled with pure elemental flame, dealing 10 points of fire damage per caster level (max 150). If the creature successfully saves, it takes half the amount.
    Big daddy Combust. Tough but fair, fills a niche in the DPR ecosystem that is empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Cityrazer
    Evocation/Transmutation
    Level: 6
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 100ft
    Area: 100ft radius centered on you
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude ½ or Fortitude Negates, see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    You unleash a burst of tremendously powerful energy, annihilating structures around you. Deal 10 damage per caster level to all buildings and structures within the area of the spell. Structures may make a Fortitude save for half damage.

    Alternately, you may target a single structure or construct within 100 feet and instantly destroy it, regardless of size or current health. On a successful Fortitude save, the target instead takes 10 damage per caster level (maximum 200).
    Structures have quite a lot of hit points, when you add up all the pieces of walls and doors and things. Also, not specifying the size limit on instant destruction in the second part might be a bad idea. I think this probably needs to be rethought.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Meteor Strike
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: 6
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long
    Area: 20ft radius burst
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    A lesser version of the legendary meteor swarm, when you cast this spell, a 2-foot diameter sphere springs from your outstretched hand and streaks in a straight lines to the spot you select. The meteor spheres leave a fiery trail of sparks.

    If you aim a sphere at a specific creature, you may make a ranged touch attack to strike the target with the meteor. Any creature struck by one of these spheres takes 10d6 points of bludgeoning damage (no save), is dazed, and receives no saving throw against the sphere’s fire damage (see below). If a targeted sphere misses its target, it simply explodes at the nearest corner of the target’s space. Alternately, you may simply cause the sphere to fall from the sky. In doing so, you cannot directly strike a target.
    Once the sphere reaches its destination, it explodes in a 20-foot-radius spread, dealing 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) and 1d6 points of slashing damage per level (maximum 20d6) to each creature in the area.
    The Daze certainly needs a save to negate it, and the 50d6 damage with no save at level 20 is a bit much for an unaugmented touch attack as a 6th level spell. I think I would cut the daze and no save effects entirely and leave it otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Acid Rain
    Evocation/Conjuration [acid]
    Level: 7
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long
    Area: 100ft radius burst
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Reflex 1/2
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    The sky opens up and weeps acid. Upon casting the spell, all creatures within the area take 1d6 points of acid damage per caster level (maximum 20d6). In addition, for one round per caster level, any creature or object beginning its turn in the area takes the same amount of damage. A successful Reflex save halves the damage.
    Tough but fair. Damage is rather low compared to your other stuff but the excessive area and duration make up for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Inferno Ray
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: 8
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium
    Effect: Ray
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    You summon energy from the very heart of the Elemental Plane of Fire to smite you foes. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to deal damage to a target. The ray deals 10 points of fire damage per caster level (max 200). If the target fails a Reflex save, they are lit on fire, taking 5d6 points of fire damage per round for one round per caster level. While burning, they must make a Concentration check (DC equal to the damage dealt) to take any standard or full-round action. A creature can attempt to extinguish the flames as a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, with a 50% chance of success.

    The flames created by this spell are incredibly hot. They ignore all forms of fire resistance, and deal half damage to creatures normally immune to fire.
    At 8th level I think this is ok. Damage is high, but you need to break SR and Touch AC, and the effect is fine but not great.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Lightning Storm
    Evocation [Electricity, Air]
    Level: 8
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long
    Area: 10ft radius per caster level
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates or Reflex ½; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

    Howling winds and flashing lightning fill the area, striking down any who are foolish enough to enter. The area is filled with hurricane-strength winds, with all the usual disadvantages. In addition, multiple bolts of lightning strike every round. Every creature in the area has a 20% chance of being struck by lightning, dealing 1d10 per caster level damage (max 25d10). (Flying creatures instead have a 40% chance of being struck by lightning). A successful Reflex save halves the damage.

    The caster may choose to concentrate on this spell after it is cast. If he does so, he may prevent the lightning from striking his allies (or foes, if he so desires). In addition, he may specifically target one bolt of lightning per round.
    Thematically cool, though I think Acid Rain is usually better. Still a fine spell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Elemental Mastery
    Evocation [Varies]
    Level: 9
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action

    This spell functions as Elemental Control, but you may control all four forms of energy at once.
    Probably a little underpowered if Elemental Control has a range, but that again depends on circumstances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Mountainrazer
    Evocation/Transmutation
    Level: 9
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium
    Area: 1 mile radius, centered on you.

    This spell functions as cityrazer, but it instead deals 20 damage per caster level to all structures within the area, or 20 points of damage per caster level to a single structure on a failed Fortitude save.
    Again, structures have lots of hit points, may need to be rethought.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •