New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default "The spell is called "Prismatic Spray", not "Taste The Rainbow"." (3.5 Domain, PEACH)

Prismatic Domain
    Granted Power: For any Prismatic spell (a spell with the word "prismatic" in its title) you may roll twice and take the value you prefer. If you get an 8 and choose to keep it, you do not get to reroll the two rolls to determine effects; only the initial roll may be done twice. You may use this ability up to three times a day.

Level 1: Prismatic Grasp (new; see below)
    Level 2: Prismatic Missile (new; see below)
    Level 3: Prismatic Mist (PHBII)
    Level 4: Prismatic Blade (new; see below)
    Level 5: Prismatic Ray (SpC)
    Level 6: Prismatic Eye (SpC)
    Level 7: Prismatic Spray (PHB)
    Level 8: Prismatic Wall (PHB)
    Level 9: Prismatic Deluge (SpC)

Prismatic Grasp
    Evocation
    Level: Prismatic 1, Sor/Wiz 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Area: One creature touched
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: See text
    Spell Resistance: Yes

You hand glows with light in a myriad of rainbow colors, which pulse into one creature you touch. Roll 1d8 on the table below to randomly determine the effect on the creature touched. Any status effect given does not stack with any other effect of similar kind, not even other Prismatic spells.

{table=head]Roll|Color|Effect
    1|Red|1d4 fire damage
    2|Orange|1d6 acid damage
    3|Yellow|1d8 electricity damage
    4|Green|poison; 1d4 Constitution penalty (penalty lasts 1 round/level; Fort save negates)
    5|Blue|slowed for 1 round (Will save negates)
    6|Indigo|lesser confusion for one round (mind-effecting; Will save negates)
    7|Violet|dazed for one round (Will save negates)
    8|{colsp=2}Struck by two colors; roll twice more, ignoring any “8” results[/table]

Prismatic Missile
    Evocation
    Level: Prismatic 2, Sor/Wiz 2
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Area: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
    Duration: Instantaneous

You fire a bolt of light in a myriad of rainbow colors, which strikes one creature unerringly. Treat this as a Magic Missile spell in all ways, except as listed here. You get one missile per three levels you have (max 5 bolts). For each missile, roll 1d8 on the table below to randomly determine the effect on the creature touched. You may focus multiple bolts on a single target, rolling for effects and saves of each strike individually.

1|Red|1d4 fire damage
    2|Orange|1d6 acid damage
    3|Yellow|1d8 electricity damage
    4|Green|poison; 1d4 Constitution damage (Fort save negates)
    5|Blue|slowed for 1 round (Will save negates)
    6|Indigo|lesser confusion for one round (mind-effecting; Will save negates)
    7|Violet|dazed for one round (Will save negates)
    8|{colsp=2}Struck by two colors; roll twice more, ignoring any “8” results[/table]

Prismatic Blade
    Evocation
    Level: Prismatic 4, Sor/Wiz 4
    Range: Personal
    Area: One blade, created in your hand
    Duration: 1/min per level

You create a blade of light in a myriad of rainbow colors in your hand, which you use to attack. Treat attacks made with this blade as touch attacks. For each successful hit with the blade, roll on the table below to randomly determine the effect on the creature struck. You may focus multiple attacks on a single target in a round, rolling for effects and saves of each strike individually.

1|Red|1d8+1/level (max +15) fire damage
    2|Orange|1d10+1/level (max +15) acid damage
    3|Yellow|1d12+1/level (max +15) electricity damage
    4|Green|poison; 1d6 Con damage (Fort save half)
    5|Blue|paralyzed for 2d6 minutes (Will save negates)
    6|Indigo|confusion for 2d6 minutes (mind-effecting; Will save negates)
    7|Violet|Teleport to a random location (Will save negates)
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2013-08-05 at 10:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: "The spell is called "Prismatic Spray", not "Taste The Rainbow"." (3.5 Domain, PE

The spells prismatic grasp and prismatic missile should do less damage than prismatic mist.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: "The spell is called "Prismatic Spray", not "Taste The Rainbow"." (3.5 Domain, PE

They do. Prismatic Grasp does its effect once, Prismatic Missile does it once for every missile. Prismatic Mist is an area effect that does its damage to every creature inside it every round for 1 minute per level, which means if you trap a foe in it it will be taking a lot of nasty effects over time. Overall, Prismatic Mist is far more powerful; you just need to keep things in it for it to work.
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2012-06-03 at 01:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

That's not what I meant. A spell which does 1d4 points of damage at third level should do 1d2 points of damage as a 2nd level spell and 1 point at 1st level. Having a shorter duration and affecting fewer creatures affected are not the same thing.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

This is cool, powerful stuff. I love Prismatic Blade.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    That's not what I meant. A spell which does 1d4 points of damage at third level should do 1d2 points of damage as a 2nd level spell and 1 point at 1st level. Having a shorter duration and affecting fewer creatures affected are not the same thing.

Debby
    At that point it becomes very not worth taking, which kind of defeats the purpose of the spells. I can see where you're coming from, certainly, but a first level spell that only does one damage? Also, spells do not always drop a die size in damage when they go up or down in level (see: Fireball, Delayed Blast Fireball).

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    This is cool, powerful stuff. I love Prismatic Blade.
    I'm glad you like it, that one was one of the ones I was worried about balance-wise. I basically made a Prismatic version of Flame Blade for it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

But the Somatic component for Prismatic spray is "Taste the Rainbow"

more seriously, a very nice light based domain, and some good spells.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

If I did a Greek campaign, I'd do a cleric of Iris and take this. It's really cool!
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    If I did a Greek campaign, I'd do a cleric of Iris and take this. It's really cool!
    Her other domains would be Travel, Celerity, Good and Communication. Favored Weapon would be the quarterstaff. Portfolio would be communication, travel, good and bards.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I started trying to math out how Prismatic Missile is broken, but then found out it isn't. It counts as magic missile, so you will hit with it. Instead of dealing (1d4+1)/2 levels past first, however (with a range of 2-5, average 3, for a total of 15 at level 9) you launch 1missile/3 levels which deal 1d4/1d6/1d8 (average 3; average of 15 at...level 15) or possibly a status effect instead. So, because the stat effects are there and the chance for rolling extra, it's balanced, but otherwise it would actually be mechanically weaker than MM.

Prismatic Grasp is also fine because there are spells at level 1 which deal scaling damage at all so again, mechanically sound, possibly even underpowered.

Well done.
    Last edited by Pennance; 2012-06-03 at 05:08 PM.
    Friends don't let friends calcify. Share a pennant today!