New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: It's Morphin' Time! (3.P Base Class/Archetypes) (WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... I'm disappointed that you lack a picture. That needs to be fixed immediately. Because pictures make everything better.
    That... Shall be corrected. Immediately.

There are lots of tier 3-4 classes that could do what they do best without being threatned too much, but I still wonder if the Sentai is too good at some times... mainly because of all of the options. You could have 5 people in a party all Sentai and each be different from eacho-oh...
    Kinda the point.

Though I do think the Sentai is getting kinda bloated with abilities...

All and all, I like it. Though I wonder what other options for Prestige Classes could be taken for the Sentai, beside the obvious need for a prestige class that enables a giant robot or some kind to be controlled by the Sentai... A lot of potential ideas are somewhat covered in the various abilities...
    Heh.

I'm considering one that gives a super mode/extends time a Sentai can stay in henshin normally, as well as the robot one.

EDIT: Also, added Loner Archetype, Heroic Indomitability, Fists of Justice, and Foe Clearing Strike, as well as tweaking the wording on some abilities, adding Solo Effects to a few, and numerous other things.
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2012-05-15 at 11:59 AM.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

So I notice that there is a music based feat which I like since I myself have just finished watching Kamen Rider Hibiki and I was curious whether there were plans to add any more music related abilities. Also is there any particular reason why perform is limited to oratory?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    So I notice that there is a music based feat which I like since I myself have just finished watching Kamen Rider Hibiki and I was curious whether there were plans to add any more music related abilities. Also is there any particular reason why perform is limited to oratory?
    For the first... Not really.

For the second, legacy thing that still makes sense. Name a costumed hero who uses interpretive dance to denounce his foes and inspire his allies, how 'bout.
    Extended Signature.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    For the first... Not really.

For the second, legacy thing that still makes sense. Name a costumed hero who uses interpretive dance to denounce his foes and inspire his allies, how 'bout.
    Well all the ones in Kamen Rider Hibiki use various instruments and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a costumed hero that used a form of breakdancing to fight.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    Well all the ones in Kamen Rider Hibiki use various instruments and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a costumed hero that used a form of breakdancing to fight.

Duely noted. (Also, Battle Fever J)

Perform skill changed to (Any).

Any comments on the balance of the class?
    Extended Signature.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xChtr49TnaI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMMIFeyCP8

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Name a costumed hero who uses interpretive dance to denounce his foes and inspire his allies, how 'bout.
    I actually remember more than one occasion where rangers would pose in various actiony-martial-arts positions(maybe more akin to a weapons-drill) and announce who they were and how they would take down the bad guy. Often either on season openers or season enders. (it's been a while since I've seen it, but I recall Wild Force doing such in civilian mode during the final episode, while their powers were gone, whereas they frequently used it normally in-costume.) It's generally meant to be them rallying their courage and such.

Awesome class idea, for the sheer nostalgia factor if nothing else. (it helps that right before I found this thread, I'd just watched the latest of Linkara's History of the Power Rangers.) Not to say the mechanics aren't good, I just haven't had time to examine in detail to be able to determine.
    Last edited by RedWarlock; 2012-05-15 at 10:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedWarlock View Post
    I actually remember more than one occasion where rangers would pose in various actiony-martial-arts positions(maybe more akin to a weapons-drill) and announce who they were and how they would take down the bad guy. Often either on season openers or season enders. (it's been a while since I've seen it, but I recall Wild Force doing such in civilian mode during the final episode, while their powers were gone, whereas they frequently used it normally in-costume.) It's generally meant to be them rallying their courage and such.
    Sounds like DM fiat to me!

I'm going to add an ability to let them use their weapon out of Henshin, though. Probably around level 7 or so.

Awesome class idea, for the sheer nostalgia factor if nothing else. (it helps that right before I found this thread, I'd just watched the latest of Linkara's History of the Power Rangers.) Not to say the mechanics aren't good, I just haven't had time to examine in detail to be able to determine.

Heh. Timing is everything.

I had just watched 199 Hero Battle when I restarted this project, so...

Anyway, I need ideas. I need a few higher level abilities to use. Most abilities for this class start off being at lower levels, and then wind up being more powerful with time...
    Extended Signature.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Tossed up two more abilities (Improved Suit and Greater Imp. Suit) and a trio of multiclassing feats (Iron, Holy, and Shinobi Senshi).

I'm planning a few abilities for fighting multiple opponents, too. Ideas are needed.

Anyway, comments, critiques, and criticism on what's been added?
    Extended Signature.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Henshin a go go baby!

Wrong Senshi?

*ahem* Looks cool man. When are the stats for Zords and baddies going to be done?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Henshin a go go baby!

Wrong Senshi?
    Nah. Loner archetype with Fire Strike of Justice, and maybe Riven Hourglass as his free discipline.

*ahem* Looks cool man. When are the stats for Zords and baddies going to be done?
    When the mechanics are done.

In all honesty, if you need mooks, take an exotic LA +0 race, apply Warrior levels, and leave off the HD for all but the first level, though applying Con for each. Boss monsters, just steal something like Bleach D20's NPC Hollow stuff and something to up their actions each round. I know I'm considering it.
    Extended Signature.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

feedback on your sentai class

The Greater improved suit ability seems far to potent in comparison to every other ability, in particular the strength/speed ones - the next best give you effectivly +10 hp/dr3, and most of them give effectivly +1 bonuses
    Greater Improved suit however gives:
    Power: eventually +20d6 damage if all attacks hit, and +5d from one. which translates to a minimum of +5. when another ability gives +1 damage
    Speed: +1 attacks at all times and +5 ac. when the ability that apparently gives only defence boosts (Sentai Knight) gives +1 ac (going from a chain shirts +4 to a breastplates + 5) and a lower amount of max dex bonus. and thats in addittion to getting a onks only redeeming feature...

Toughness isn't as bad, though the next best survival ability gives effectivly an extra 10 HP (not disabled or taking damabe at 0 and below), whilst this one a potential +40, but it's not restored, so more passable. same for size. though the power/speed ones suffer the problems outlined above

also, as an idea suggestion, hows about letting them pick up an animal/monster theme for the suit, which would grant a related ability: eg wolf would get improved trip etc. just because most of them end up with some form of animal theme somewhere

13. - Top - End - #43

Themed Sentai already allows one to pick a theme and get a mechanical bonus from it.

On an unrelated note, when do your allies take the action for the various 'your friends can join in' stuff? They can't exactly take a full-round action during your turn, unless I have misunderstood the rules.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackestOfMages View Post
    feedback on your sentai class

The Greater improved suit ability seems far to potent in comparison to every other ability, in particular the strength/speed ones - the next best give you effectivly +10 hp/dr3, and most of them give effectivly +1 bonuses
    Greater Improved suit however gives:
    Power: eventually +20d6 damage if all attacks hit, and +5d from one. which translates to a minimum of +5. when another ability gives +1 damage
    Yeah, those two choices were what I was worried about. Most of the other abilities are intended to give scaling bonuses, too.

Was considering reducing Power to something like +2 competence to damage or so, increasing at the same rate...

Speed: +1 attacks at all times and +5 ac. when the ability that apparently gives only defence boosts (Sentai Knight) gives +1 ac (going from a chain shirts +4 to a breastplates + 5) and a lower amount of max dex bonus. and thats in addittion to getting a onks only redeeming feature...
    Knight gives +8 AC, thank you very much. (Shield gets its own enhancement bonus)

But yeah. Think I should remove the AC bonus, and just leave the extra attack?

Toughness isn't as bad, though the next best survival ability gives effectivly an extra 10 HP (not disabled or taking damabe at 0 and below), whilst this one a potential +40, but it's not restored, so more passable. same for size. though the power/speed ones suffer the problems outlined above
    Well, that one and the one after it should give him an extra 20-26 HP... (Dies at -[10+Con score], not -10)

But anyway, yeah, I figured those two were good enough.

also, as an idea suggestion, hows about letting them pick up an animal/monster theme for the suit, which would grant a related ability: eg wolf would get improved trip etc. just because most of them end up with some form of animal theme somewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    Themed Sentai already allows one to pick a theme and get a mechanical bonus from it.
    Yeah, but the bonus is only a pair of class skills and a bonus on them... Nothing like a totem should give. I'm considering it, now, though.

Though, honestly, you could just pick up the feats with your regular feats, and not make sentai have EVERYTHING...

On an unrelated note, when do your allies take the action for the various 'your friends can join in' stuff? They can't exactly take a full-round action during your turn, unless I have misunderstood the rules.
    That... Was fixed. It's supposed to be an immediate action.

At any rate, adding two more abilities soon- Favored Technique and Suitless Weaponry. They do what you might expect.
    Extended Signature.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I just saw the pic you put up for the class.

What.

I've watched every single movie from the 25th anniversary one up until the Samurai Ranger one (the Japanese ones, obviously, dubbed, double obviously), but never seen that pic. Is there a new movie out with even more characters coming back? Or is it something else?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

It's for the newest one currently in Japan. They team up with all of the past rangers.

All of them.

@TMK- Someone needs to run a power rangers game.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

I just noticed something:

Favored Technique [Suit]
    Prerequisites: Sentai level 7, at least one maneuver or formula of 3rd level or higher
    Benefit: A skilled sentai can use the same technique more often than others. He chooses a maneuver or forumla of 3rd level or lower that he knows. While in his hero suit, he treats that as always readied or prepared, regardless of if he used it or readied it. At 9th level and two levels thereafter, he may change the chosen maneuver, and increases the maximum level of the chosen maneuver by 1, to a maximum of 8th level.
    Completely ignoring the fact that formula is misspelled, I think you meant "At ninth level and at every two levels thereafter".

As you already referred to Heroic Endurance and Heroic Indomitability, I'm unsure if they really are worth two suit abilities. Maybe combine the two and have Heroic Indomitability come on-line at Sentai level 11? At the very least, Heroic Endurance should count as Diehard for the purpose of prerequisites.

Edit: Query: Would Battlizers fall under Greater Improved Suit, a short prestige class to make the suit even better, or just magic items?
    Last edited by Vauron; 2012-05-22 at 07:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post

What.

I've watched every single movie from the 25th anniversary one up until the Samurai Ranger one (the Japanese ones, obviously, dubbed, double obviously), but never seen that pic. Is there a new movie out with even more characters coming back? Or is it something else?
    Oh
    Wow.
    That's a lot of rangers xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

What.

That, good sir, is Gokaiger. AKA: Pirate Sentai, pirating sentai.

Literally. Their gimmick is that they can take the form of any of the 34 previous Sentai teams. And they aren't restricted to only one team at a time. All Red and all Green morphs occur, with an all Pink and an all White in a movie. (Note: Gokaiger has 4 movies. One is the standard previous team team up, the next is "Hey, lets bring back old villians, take two!", and the third a crossover with Metal Heroes. Oh, and the fourth is "Super Sentai vs. Kamen Rider". I'll let you guess what happens.)

So, yeah. Kinda what invgorated this rewrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    It's for the newest one currently in Japan. They team up with all of the past rangers.

All of them.
    Nah. Newest is Go-Buster. Gokaiger was the '11/12 one.

And they only team up with past sentai three times, and one is in a movie!

@TMK- Someone needs to run a power rangers game.
    Working on that. I want Rider archetype and a PrC or two up, and enough abilities to make it more varied. I was thinking Eberron might work...

I just noticed something:

Completely ignoring the fact that formula is misspelled, I think you meant "At ninth level and at every two levels thereafter".
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

As you already referred to Heroic Endurance and Heroic Indomitability, I'm unsure if they really are worth two suit abilities. Maybe combine the two and have Heroic Indomitability come on-line at Sentai level 11? At the very least, Heroic Endurance should count as Diehard for the purpose of prerequisites.
    Hm... Might be in order, actually. Considering it, now.

Edit: Query: Would Battlizers fall under Greater Improved Suit, a short prestige class to make the suit even better, or just magic items?
    Probably a five level PrC. As mentioned, a "Super Mode" PrC is in the making. Lights of Orion/Beast Light mode, SWAT mode, Legend mode, ect. Those are what it'll be akin to.

That's why only the Red Ranger gets them- they're the only ones who think to level in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Oh
    Wow.
    That's a lot of rangers xD
    Yes, but can you name all the teams?
    Extended Signature.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

That, good sir, is Gokaiger. AKA: Pirate Sentai, pirating sentai.

Literally. Their gimmick is that they can take the form of any of the 34 previous Sentai teams. And they aren't restricted to only one team at a time. All Red and all Green morphs occur, with an all Pink and an all White in a movie. (Note: Gokaiger has 4 movies. One is the standard previous team team up, the next is "Hey, lets bring back old villians, take two!", and the third a crossover with Metal Heroes. Oh, and the fourth is "Super Sentai vs. Kamen Rider". I'll let you guess what happens.)

So, yeah. Kinda what invgorated this rewrite.
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

OKAY.

SCREW EXAMS, I'VE GOT PIRATE MOVIES TO WATCH.

Name them? No. Name their general themes? A lot of them, at least the past 13 or so. Also, that ending is awesome.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

21. - Top - End - #51

I have no idea what you're talking about.
    I'm unsure where I was unclear, but I will elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King
    "At 9th level and two levels thereafter, he may change the chosen maneuver, and increases the maximum level of the chosen maneuver by 1, to a maximum of 8th level."
    The way you have it written now means that you can change the maneuver at level 9, and then again a second time at level 11. Not at levels 13, 15, or 17.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, and the fourth is "Super Sentai vs. Kamen Rider". I'll let you guess what happens.)
    Or you could link.
    (Yes that's a Kamen Rider co-piloting a Megazord and making it manifest his powers)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

OKAY.

SCREW EXAMS, I'VE GOT PIRATE MOVIES TO WATCH.

YES. GIVE IN TO THE SUPER SENTAI WATCHING.

Name them? No. Name their general themes? A lot of them, at least the past 13 or so. Also, that ending is awesome.
    That's from the first of the movies, the standard team up one.

I'm unsure where I was unclear, but I will elaborate.

The way you have it written now means that you can change the maneuver at level 9, and then again a second time at level 11. Not at levels 13, 15, or 17.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. ", means "Fixed, but trolling.".

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Or you could link.
    (Yes that's a Kamen Rider co-piloting a Megazord and making it manifest his powers)
    I could. But that wouldn't be fair.
    Extended Signature.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

I have to admit I love when they do the crossovers like that. Decade is what got me into watching Kamen Rider just because of that.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

as for crossovers, the strangest i've seen was the "forever red" episode of one of the power rangers series. they had the beetleborgs as the villains! granted it wasn't actually the beetleborgs, just robots that looked like them, but still.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Are you going to make any mechanics based on Akibaranger?

Quote Originally Posted by lunar2 View Post
    as for crossovers, the strangest i've seen was the "forever red" episode of one of the power rangers series. they had the beetleborgs as the villains! granted it wasn't actually the beetleborgs, just robots that looked like them, but still.
    ...monster suits are expensive.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-05-23 at 03:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Working on that. I want Rider archetype and a PrC or two up, and enough abilities to make it more varied. I was thinking Eberron might work...
    Dibs on a space :P

Hahano. My mum didn't let me watch it when I was little. I got in a few episodes at grandparents houses and when I was old enough that she shrugged, and it seemed like something I would have liked?
    I remember thinking the animal team was awesome. Were they the one with an initially evil sixth ranger with a dragon zord?

...oh hey I DO have enough nostalgia for this that I'd prolly enjoy watching them.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Are you going to make any mechanics based on Akibaranger?
    Nah. It's stealing from all series. I'm stealing from all series. We're cool.

Figured that people would say that...

Hahano. My mum didn't let me watch it when I was little. I got in a few episodes at grandparents houses and when I was old enough that she shrugged, and it seemed like something I would have liked?
    I remember thinking the animal team was awesome. Were they the one with an initially evil sixth ranger with a dragon zord?

...oh hey I DO have enough nostalgia for this that I'd prolly enjoy watching them.
    Well... That video is the Super Sentai teams. HUGE difference from Power Rangers teams, though they share the same suits.

Mighty Morphin' was based on Zyuranger (the first dinosaur team), and in PR, Green WAS initially evil, yes.

Also, which animal team?
    Extended Signature.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Dibs on Green Ranger.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Figured that people would say that...
    :P
    Well, you'll be getting an invite to my game when I make it.

Well... That video is the Super Sentai teams. HUGE difference from Power Rangers teams, though they share the same suits.

Mighty Morphin' was based on Zyuranger (the first dinosaur team), and in PR, Green WAS initially evil, yes.
    Ooh, I was assuming rangers were dubs of them. Are they separate?

Also, which animal team?
    Wild Force. I think. It's been a long time.