New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: It's Morphin' Time! (3.P Base Class/Archetypes) (WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    TMs according to what they look like now?
    (is playing Fire Red)
    Nope. Not that.

Record, in this case, means "memory of".

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    Oh man when the sentai game finally gets going its gonna be nuts...
    No kidding...

So anyway the following might not be actual suggestions for additional content but they are my thoughts on certain bits as I've gone through the class.
    Shoot.

Sentai's Weapon/Fists of Justice: I kinda think that the later's effects should be rolled into the former as an option and add the later's special material bonus to the regular weapons as well since once you chose the weapon (presumably without special materials as an option) its stuck that way. I'd still have something like Fists of Justice but instead gives you another set of weapons to use, thus if you chose a weapon initially you could then get the bonus with unarmed strikes, vise versa, or have a melee set and ranged set. Essentially as it is now Fists of Justice is better more or less at later levels than Sentai's Weapons except where dual wielding/ranged is concerned possibly.
    Hm... Might be best.

Strike of Justice: Due to certain suggestions on the pad and that the move action requirement was removed I might suggest specifying that this is a free action. That or when you implement certain suggestions that Strike of Justice stacks with it.
    Yeah, probably a good idea.

Finisher: Related to the above but shouldn't this add Strike of Justice's damage as well?
    Yep. Doesn't say it doesn't, and Strike says it works on all attacks, so...

Several Suit/Self Abilities: I note that there's several that give moral bonus's but don't specifically mention stacking with Team Player or Bardic Music. Come to think of it there are a ton of moral bonus's implemented or being suggested... I fear what the bonus's will look like with a full team.
    Yeah, those need to be fixed. It's gonna be a nightmare.

Magician Archtype: In the table there is a 0 in the level 10 entry for Formulae known.
    Fixed. Thanks for that.

Added an Archetype by BlackestofMages.

Well, mostly, since he forgot something to replace Double Team...
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Nope. Not that.

Actually after I made my last post I was wondering whether an Archtype or a PrC would best represent the figurines/cards. In the end I figured an Archtype that focused on the martial maneuver side of things might work best for the cards, possibly provoking aoos for needing to pull a card and insert it, and for the figurines a PrC might fit better, which would trade overall progression for versatility.

That said I think I like yours better though I'm a little hesitant at the artifact label if only for the potential price tag. However that's only from a standpoint assuming that only Setai users can utilize it, if its something that allows anyone to use it then it makes a lot more sense.

Yep. Doesn't say it doesn't, and Strike says it works on all attacks, so...
    Mmm... Well since its assumed that with the finisher you're using either unarmed attack or a Setai weapon I suppose so.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    Actually after I made my last post I was wondering whether an Archtype or a PrC would best represent the figurines/cards. In the end I figured an Archtype that focused on the martial maneuver side of things might work best for the cards, possibly provoking aoos for needing to pull a card and insert it, and for the figurines a PrC might fit better, which would trade overall progression for versatility.

That said I think I like yours better though I'm a little hesitant at the artifact label if only for the potential price tag. However that's only from a standpoint assuming that only Setai users can utilize it, if its something that allows anyone to use it then it makes a lot more sense.
    The idea with it being an artifact is that it's not just something that you pick up at a store- it's the coalesced POWER of a Sentai, his very will to fight! You can't just BUY that at some store!

Now, cheap(ish) boosters for Sentai abilities, produced by old sentai that want to make money, while helping younger ones? Those are available in stores.

Mmm... Well since its assumed that with the finisher you're using either unarmed attack or a Setai weapon I suppose so.
    Yeah, that's the assumption.
    Extended Signature.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    TMs according to what they look like now?
    (is playing Fire Red)
    Well, there are Pokémon Rangers...

And I do have a Pokémon Trainer class lying around...
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

@ TMK: No I didn't forget to replace team player. I didn't mean to replace team player. The Pyscho's still a team character, just one focused on destruction and damage

EDIT: also, cruel persistance was added to make up for the hit dice going down a stage, not to replace an ability
    Last edited by BlackestOfMages; 2012-05-29 at 05:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Nope. Not that.

Oh. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Well, there are Pokémon Rangers...

And I do have a Pokémon Trainer class lying around...
    oh god that pun
    xDD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

The idea with it being an artifact is that it's not just something that you pick up at a store- it's the coalesced POWER of a Sentai, his very will to fight! You can't just BUY that at some store!

Now, cheap(ish) boosters for Sentai abilities, produced by old sentai that want to make money, while helping younger ones? Those are available in stores.
    Not saying that I'd buy it in a store, I wouldn't mind writing out how I acquired it in my backstory, but if I wanted to start a game with one in hand it might be easier to convince a DM if there was a basic guideline in an estimated cost.

Anyway how are you thinking its going to work? Replace all your abilities with a specific set? At a certain level? Scaling? Scaling but a slower rate than the normal progression?

8. - Top - End - #128

BlueKnightGuy

there's a prtoype he worked on on the PiratePad he linked last page

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackestOfMages View Post
    @ TMK: No I didn't forget to replace team player. I didn't mean to replace team player. The Pyscho's still a team character, just one focused on destruction and damage
    You have to admit, though, it fits better than Double Team does...

EDIT: also, cruel persistance was added to make up for the hit dice going down a stage, not to replace an ability
    That's just silly- then you're getting something for nothing!

If you want, I'll change it back, but... Well, they fit where I put them/replaced.

@Userpays: Basically, copy the sentai who created it's powers, up to your Sentai level. Costs 200xp/level and sentai powers to create.

In short, perfect as a mentor's dying gift to his students, or something.
    Extended Signature.

10. - Top - End - #130

BlueKnightGuy

You have to admit, though, it fits better than Double Team does...
    the people who don't care about honour or a fair fight don't get a bonus for ganging up on someone to unfairly beat them up, but the people who do, do? that seems a bit contradictory

That's just silly- then you're getting something for nothing!
    lower hit dice though thinking about it I'd say it'd replace the level 15 sentai ability rather than power of teamwork. Though I suppose it does make sense.

Aso, on harbinger of dread, dropping it down to always be a -1 is a bit unfair compared to the thing it's replacing getting up to +4. it means the overall effect of the sentai's vrsion is much more noticable, especially since the Harbing bards inspire dread (what this was based off) increases with level, just like the bard's inspire courage (what team player seems to be based off) does.
    Last edited by BlackestOfMages; 2012-05-29 at 12:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=BlackestOfMages;13307163]the people who don't care about honour or a fair fight don't get a bonus for ganging up on someone to unfairly beat them up, but the people who do, do? that seems a bit contradictory [//QUOTE]

Think of it more as cooperation than honor. They'll likely be fighting overwhelming odds, so...

lower hit dice though thinking about it I'd say it'd replace the level 15 sentai ability rather than power of teamwork. Though I suppose it does make sense.
    Heh. But that would prevent Psychi Riders, which are... well, expected at some point.

Aso, on harbinger of dread, dropping it down to always be a -1 is a bit unfair compared to the thing it's replacing getting up to +4. it means the overall effect of the sentai's vrsion is much more noticable, especially since the Harbing bards inspire dread (what this was based off) increases with level, just like the bard's inspire courage (what team player seems to be based off) does.

...there was supposed to be a "At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, this penalty increases by 1" on there...

I'll fix this stuff when I'm back on my comp, and not my phone.
    Extended Signature.

12. - Top - End - #132

BlueKnightGuy

...there was supposed to be a "At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, this penalty increases by 1" on there...

I'll fix this stuff when I'm back on my comp, and not my phone.
    fairy snuff. thought you'd done it on purpose

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Super Sentai vs Magical Girls vs Tentacle Monsters
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Heh, reminds me of my current pathfinder game. We had an Ozodrin player (who had to drop, sadly, because RL issues ate up his free time) and a Magical Girl player in the same group. We had several OoC debates of what the Magical Girl's Power of Friendship ability would do to both of them in that case (seeing as an entity from the farplanes- which this character was flavored as being- is not someone whose point of view you want to get a better understanding of, and we generally go by the assumption that our line of thought and logic is at least partially as hazardous to them as theirs is to us). Shame it never had the chance to happen- it would have been interesting to watch.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

15. - Top - End - #135

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    thats going a little far

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

It would probably end up with the Sentai trying to save the Magical Girls anyway.

17. - Top - End - #137

BlueKnightGuy

and because I'm far to impationt to wait for TMK, one recruitment thread for a different sentai game: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...4#post13310984

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Not my fault I want to clear up the poorly worded stuff before I test this.

Added: Combat Theme, Changeling and Warforged Sentai ACFs, Pathfinder Favored class bonuses.

Changed: Sentai's weapon specifying unlimited, mundane, ammo for ranged weapons, Fearless Bravado from immunity to fear to bonuses based on it, and minor things.
    Extended Signature.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

So are there plans to add flight, burrow, and swim as suit options? Granted I don't think I've seen a Sentai actually based around swimming but there's definitely several that fly and I recall seeing one or two that burrowed as well (ninjas I think). Could be something to add to Greater/Improved Suit since you already have a speed based option there. Adding them into Combat Theme or maybe as part of an improved version of Combat Theme would also be a thought.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Sorta. Blackest has an environmental adaptation suit power up, which I'm going to go, edit to the level I think looks right, and add. But not now, because I almost spelt "now" "biq".

Now I shall sleep. Just tell me your thoughts on the two racial abilities, m'kay?
    Extended Signature.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm he must have put it up after I mentioned it because I coulda sworn I checked the pad prior to posting. Though then again I was looking for fly which I see it doesn't have. Anyway I assume there would also be an improved version of Environmental Adaptation if it goes up? Would be fitting to grant fly speed for Aerial and possibly immunity to the need to breath while in Henshin for Aquatic ect.

Also the pad needs to get linked on the front page somewhere.

Anyway moving onto the Warforged AFC.
    Henshin: Obvious and I like, reminds me of a similar allowance in Magitech Templar which would probably be devastating when combined with this class come to think of it.
    Alter Ego: Overall I think I like this ability. While I don't recall any off the top of my head that did this in the shows I would not be surprised if there were one or two. I'm a little hesitant that it gives you more than one form, considering normal users can't, however considering that the warforged have a penalty to cha its not quite as much of a problem as it could be. Not sure if I'm going to actually use it with the character I'm using in the other game but then that's just me (though I do have a human turned warforged concept that I could possibly adapt to Sentai who would take advantage of this).

Speaking of that I can't help but wonder if perhaps there should be something to make up for warforged's penalty to wis and cha. Swapping it to another stat probably wouldn't work... Maybe make it so that you calculate any abilities that uses wis/cha as without that penalty and fluffing it as the warforged's sense of justice bursting forth despite their difficulty expressing it? Not sure what to replace/change in that event however.

Changeling AFC
    Modular Suit: Very thematic for changelings. While at first I didn't like that you had to change an existing suit option to utilize it upon thinking about it it does make for a decent balancing mechanic. That you can't take stuff like Combat Theme and whatnot with it is also a good idea since those are relatively significant changes and not 'subtle' which seems to be the intent of this ability.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

What's your opinion on taking multiple archetypes? I was thinking on taking Rider and either Loner or Mystic Guardian to make a Makai Knight type character possibly also swapping Alter Ego for an Item familiar to be the Madōgu. Though not 100% if this would be too powerful or not.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Do the Archetypes replace the same features?

If no, they can be combined. If yes, they cannot.
    Extended Signature.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Just now noticed that the class gets full bab. Considering how many bonus's to attack it can get wouldn't it be better as medium bab?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

I had a long, relevant, and well thought out reply to your two most recent posts, Userpay.

Then the forum ate it.

In short: Shiver at Ironman Sentai, Warforged ACF is based on Cutie Honey's disguise abilties/being a robot, good to know about Changeling thing, maybe about BAB.

Also, feat.

Burning Soul [General]
    Prerequisites: Race with a Charisma penalty, Henshin class feature
    Benefits: The blazing soul of an ally of justice burns within you, dispite your difficulty with people. You may treat your Charisma modifier as though it were one greater than normalfor the purposes of Sentai abilities and class features.
    Extended Signature.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

So I made the poster pic for this class into a (De)motivator to post in the DnDemotivator thread.

Nobody got it.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

I wanted to suggest a sentai ability. I haven't quite figured out prerequisites, but it's a maneuver often seen:

Morph on the run
    When activating the Henshin ability, the Sentai can choose to forgo the blinding effect to activate it as a combined move action instead of a 1-round action. During this combined move action the Sentai must move at least 10 feet using any movement move that leaves at least two limbs free for other actions (This includes walk, run and fly, or swim at half speed, but not climb or burrow).

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mage-King, you said you would add a note that Sentai Knight and Combat Theme could be taken together in the recruitment thread. Did you not get around to that yet or are you considering having Combat Theme as a class feature before you write anything down?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    Mage-King, you said you would add a note that Sentai Knight and Combat Theme could be taken together in the recruitment thread. Did you not get around to that yet or are you considering having Combat Theme as a class feature before you write anything down?

Honestly? I added it, but the forum derp'd. Added again, merged Flashy and Impressive Acrobatics (because that was just a tax), and then tossed on three (Serene Sentai, Extra Sentai Ability, Burning Soul) feats.

@weckar: I had been considering something like that as a feat- it would more reduce the time by an action, remove the flash, and halve duration of henshin. Intended to make it an option, but not a "Must have", you know?
    Extended Signature.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Btw, I just noticed that the recovery mechanic does not note if it is a maneuver of your choice or a random maneuver that you recover every turn that you are wearing your suit.