New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default The Kingdom of Yenid Dnal

I am working on a homebrew campaign setting based upon the different lands and rides at Disneyland for either 3.5 or PFS, and some of them lend themselves perfectly to modules. Indiana Jones is a perfect dungeon crawl with traps, undead, bugs and what not to overcome, while the Haunted Mansion has given a really good horror/mystery adventure especially taking elements from Phantom Manor. However i'm at a loss for some of the other areas, I know i want the final battle to be against the Bard/Dragon Rensei either in a Fantasmic style battle or at the castle, in a traditional "Fireworks Spectacular" finale that you get at the parks.

My ideas for each land and their "iconic" attraction are:

Adventureland: Indiana Jones - Dungeon Crawl, with a jungle cruise trek prior to reaching it.

Frontierland: Big Thunder Railroad is the main attraction there, but i'm trying to figure out how to fit it into an adventure, maybe a fight to the front of a magical train or caravan that is headed for a settlement, and the PCs have to stop it?

New Orleans Square: Since this is considered an offshoot of Frontierland, I'm planning on having whatever adventure that takes place in frontierland brings them to NOS, then they solve the mystery of the Bride and her murder. There is also Pirates of the Caribbean here, which i could use as a transfer to Critter country

Critter Country and Toon Town: Critter country is mainly Splash mountain... so maybe something to do with an evil sect of druids controlling animals to spread plague or something? And toon town could be a portal to another dimension, most likely a plane of chaos, since toons are chaotic

Fantasyland/Tomorrowland crossover: The big one here is Matterhorn, which can be an easy survival through the mountains trek,

Tomorrowland Proper: This is a hard one, maybe the party gets ransported to a future time which is very steampunk like, but set within the confines of Jules Verne Literature (this is basically what Tomorrowland is in Paris)

Fantasyland: This is where the final bout is going to take place, maybe combine stuff like snow white's scary adventure and peter pan's flight.. by this time the party should be at a decently high level, i'm hoping around 18,

Final Battle: the final battle against the BBEG

I've got a basic framework down as to why they are going to all these places, and how they are all connected, but i'm torn between having a free roam OLM style campaign, or one that is more on the rails between getting to these places, and how to fill the gaps so its not a "Dungeon of the Week" adventure.

I plan on having this use the fast leveling system since there isn't alot of fill i can think of, but if i can stretch this out to be a good long adventure, that would be great.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: The Kingdom of Yenid Dnal

Well after reading some other posts i guess i forgot to add PEACH to the title, I'd love to get some feedback as to whether or not this is a good idea or not. I ran a beta of the haunted mansion and indiana jones part a while back, but had a TPK because of players not being smart in the face of a dragon lol. (I'm not one to fudge die rolls, and since it was in 4th... the entire party was behind the rogue when she bloodied him... which he responded to by vomiting fire over the entire party, killing them... somehow i rolled 10 20s, because i used the confirmation roll for all my monsters on crits... and confirmed every one of them)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

You also misspelled "Yensid".
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe Tomorrowland is a utopia that has discovered advanced technology but shunned everything outside it including magic. The group has to pass through, but end up getting embroiled in all sorts of issues including bounty hunting and getting launched into space in an airship.
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Omega that is a good idea, however i want all of the locations to still be within one overarching nation/region because the plot of the story has the adventures trying to free it from a tyrannical ruler. I was thinking that it could be a gnome and dwarf city, especially because they are the most "technologically advanced" of the races, and it could possibly have a gate to the plane of i believe it is mechanicus, the one with all the constructs and robotic ant people? Even though Space Mountain i know is the main attraction in Tomorrowland now, I was thinking more of going with the old Carousel of Progress, and maybe having them have to deal with a short time travel adventure, where they have to prevent one of the BBEGs minions from causing mayhem back in the past of the nation, as well as finding out how the BBEG actually game to power.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I understand. I was more thinking of the modern one in Florida, but you probably know more about the history than I do.
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever