New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Minecraft Thread X: In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the ... SSSSSSSS

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    ITS JUST A MOD FOR A GAME!, how is it wrong that they took them without asking?, It's just a mod for a game, the mod creaters need to relax.
    Quite wrong. If you make something, put a lot of time into it, and are getting some revenue from it (even if it's small), it can be very irritating to see someone else take that work and make money off of it when they didn't contribute anything.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Minecraft Thread X: In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the ... SSSSSSSS

Isn't the legality of them using adly sketchy? You know, making money off making changes to someone elses commercial product?

Also if they have such a big problem they could go closed source instead of essentially having a big "Use this for whatever" sign up.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Calling it "stealing" is inaccurate. Their mods are open-source, and that means they can be used for anything. If they have a problem with their open-source products being used for something, then maybe they shouldn't have made them open-source.
    I agree with tmk on this, the mods are already out there, it's too late to make them private.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Titan in the Playground

You dump over ten thousand work hours into a project, offer it as a gift to the community as a whole, then watch as someone else starts making money off of your work without even asking permission or acknowledging your hard work and see how pissed off you get.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    You dump over ten thousand work hours into a project, offer it as a gift to the community as a whole, then watch as someone else starts making money off of your work without even asking permission or acknowledging your hard work and see how pissed off you get.
    Wait how are they making money off the technic pack? Isn't making money off it illegal for ether of them since it means they are making money from making changes to a commercial product?

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    Wait how are they making money off the technic pack? Isn't making money off it illegal for ether of them since it means they are making money from making changes to a commercial product?
    Adfly links (admittedly, barely enough to maintain the server) and Donations. Of which the mod authors don't get a dime.

As for the legality, it is illegal for them to redistribute mods without the mod author's permission, but they clearly don't care about that.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Adfly links (admittedly, barely enough to maintain the server) and Donations. Of which the mod authors don't get a dime.

As for the legality, it is illegal for them to redistribute mods without the mod author's permission, but they clearly don't care about that.
    I meant the legality of the Adfly links. You know, since its them making money off changes to someone elses product. Like adding something to some pepsi then selling it.

Also I looked, where is the technic pack on an adfly link?
    Last edited by wiimanclassic; 2012-09-07 at 07:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Troll in the Playground

I agree with tmk on this, the mods are already out there, it's too late to make them private.
    Not me, Togath. I'm firmly in the "Let the crooks burn" camp, which is why I haven't downloaded the modpack.

Anyway, the server is down, apparently. An FYI.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Not me, Togath. I'm firmly in the "Let the crooks burn" camp, which is why I haven't downloaded the modpack.

For ****s sake. THIS is the kind thing thats wrong with modding these days. Everyone takes this **** way too seriously. Woohoo, you made changes to a game, oh no someone changed your changes, oh wait. They just did what you did to the original game. They need to get over themselves.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post

My point is that with modern tech, people should expect to have things like that copied.
    It's like a book or movie or television show, if it's a media, it can be copied, and can be put online, therefore I don't understand why people are so against doing so.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ettin in the Playground

Intellectual property should certainly be protected and respected, but that doesn't apply to open-source mods for a game that have no costs associated with them. Again, if they were really worried about making money or keeping their stuff to themselves, then they shouldn't have made it open-source. It's part of the definition of open-source.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Titan in the Playground

It is a matter of rudeness. It's rather rude to steal someone else's work and make money off of it. Screw the legality issue, or anything else. It shows blatant disrespect to the people who spent tens of thousands of work hours making mods so people could have a different way of enjoying the game. Then get ridiculed for it.

Yea... 'cause that's a real good way to encourage them to continue making mods...
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

It is a matter of rudeness. It's rather rude to steal someone else's work and make money off of it. Screw the legality issue, or anything else. It shows blatant disrespect to the people who spent tens of thousands of work hours making mods so people could have a different way of enjoying the game. Then get ridiculed for it.

Yea... 'cause that's a real good way to encourage them to continue making mods...
    Ok other then donations WHERE is Technic making any money? Also if they stop making the open source mod, congrats someone else can continue. Its how **** heads who had good ideas for mods get weeded out. Can't deal with someone modding your mod? Don't make it open source.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll keep using Technic till it stops work working - No matter what assorted opinions on here decry.
    Haven't had it crash since they took the extra Dungeons and Millinare mods out of it (which is a shame as both added a lot of cool stuff but i did notice the performance drop from them greatly)
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

A quick question about something rptown related(not related to the tekkit thing though): would a runecraft flying machine be to destructive to use in rptown?, if it burrows it can sometimes leave large ring of soil and stone jutting up from where it exited from a tunnel.
    If it stays airborn it doesn't damage anything though.
    Meow(Steam page)

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok other then donations WHERE is Technic making any money?
    You said it yourself, adfly links. Not much money, but still some.

And I agree with pretty much all of that completely.
    LGBTA+itP

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Troll in the Playground

ITS JUST A MOD FOR A GAME!, how is it wrong that they took them without asking?, It's just a mod for a game, the mod creaters need to relax.
    "It's just a stick figure comic strip! How is it wrong for somebody to take it and hundred others without asking? And then sell an app that copies the comic strips and sends them directly to people without them going to each individual website? It's just a free, geeky, sticky figure comic strip. Online comic creators need to relax."This is an example of satire.

Oh, sorry. Wrong conversation. Seemed Applicable.

We really need to move on before things get bad. This is borderline moral/legal issues.
    Some of us think piracy, I.E. copying someone's creative work without permission, is a problem, while, it seems, some of us don't.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-09-08 at 02:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    You said it yourself, adfly links. Not much money, but still some.

And I agree with pretty much all of that completely.
    Point to me WHERE they use Adfly links. You know, the thing I asked a few times already?

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ettin in the Playground

Point to me WHERE they use Adfly links. You know, the thing I asked a few times already?
    You are correct, I only see Google's ads. My bad.
    LGBTA+itP

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    "It's just a stick figure comic strip! How is it wrong for somebody to take it and hundred others without asking? And then sell an app that copies the comic strips and sends them directly to people without them going to each individual website? It's just a free, geeky, sticky figure comic strip. Online comic creators need to relax."This is an example of satire.

No, it's completely inapplicable. Look at any strip of OotS. You will see, at the bottom of the page, "(c) 20XX Rich Burlew www.GiantITP.com" This means that the comic is copyrighted, and therefore protected under law. In a moral sense, it's a stamp that says "Don't use this without my say."

The mods used in Technic Pack, on the other hand, are open-source. This means that they don't copyright their work, and furthermore, that they are stamping a big "Use this however you want!" logo onto it.

So, the guys who made Technic said, "Ok, I'll use this however I want!" They took a bunch of these open-source mods, bundled them together, and added value to all of them by integrating them together and making a patcher that improves the user experience by removing all the fiddling around with files and .jars and modloaders and versions and updates and all that crap that makes using a mod a pain in the arse.

We really need to move on before things get bad. This is borderline moral/legal issues.
    Some of us think piracy, I.E. copying someone's creative work without permission, is a problem, while, it seems, some of us don't.
    I wish you had, because now you've just made a broad, insulting statement that everyone who disagrees with you is pro-piracy and anti-IP protection. You're making us into strawmen, when our actual argument is something completely different. So, congratulations. If you have arguments to bring up against our actual statements, rather than what you imagine us to be saying, then I'd love to continue the discussion. Otherwise, yes it's best we stop here, before either of us says anything we regret.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Barbarian in the Playground

No, no, no. Open source does not mean what you think it does. It means that the source code of the mod may freely be examined by others. It does not mean that it may be freely redistributed without permission. That would require either a copyleft licence (common, but not mandatory, practice for open source) or being public domain, and US copyright laws are ridiculous so the second thing is never going to happen until Minecraft is no longer a thing.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    No, no, no. Open source does not mean what you think it does. It means that the source code of the mod may freely be examined by others. It does not mean that it may be freely redistributed without permission. That would require either a copyleft licence (common, but not mandatory, practice for open source) or being public domain, and US copyright laws are ridiculous so the second thing is never going to happen until Minecraft is no longer a thing.
    Ah, see, now that's an argument against what we're saying.

Anyways, could we get a link to the actual creators of the mods, and where they've done all this complaining? I'd especially like to see where the forestry guy said that he changed things so it wouldn't work in technic, specifically to not work with technic.

Also, please look at the donation page for technic. Rather than accepting donations and screwing the mod-makers, the opposite is true. They accept no donations themselves, and instead provide links for you to donate to every single person who's mods are in the pack.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I had to come out just because of that last sentence. Is Tekkit really performing piracy, or is it just making several mods work together in one package. They make no claim that the mods in the package are their own work. Actually, do we know what the relationship is between Tekkit and the mod-makers they copy from?
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Um, I don't even think Technic is a mod, more a launcher UI and modgroup? Idklol. And when is the the Pyramid event being held EST?
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ogre in the Playground

That's what I mean. Did they just run off with the mods in question or did they get permission from the individual modders?
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ettin in the Playground

server is malfunctioning, the error message actually overlays itself enough times to be unreadable.
    Meow(Steam page)

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't see any errors on my end but server restarted anyway.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    Don't see any errors on my end but server restarted anyway.
    It didn't take.

:/
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ettin in the Playground

also, a messge for heav; I managed to fix your minecart wave generator thingy on the pyramid event map.
    Meow(Steam page)

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Titan in the Playground

Minecraft.net is having some issues, namely with the part that confirms logon attempts. Basically, minecraft servers try to check that the person logging on is actually who they say they are (after the incident where people were able to log on as Notch on various servers). This means logging onto a multiplayer Minecraft server is going to be difficult until this is fixed.
    Spoiler
    Show