New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

Quote Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
    I'll give you rankings instead of just first and last.

1st: Elli. She is, well, wife material. Admittedly somewhat boring, yet a certain strength of character shines through. Lastly, this may be colored by the fact that I played Friends of mineral town, but she seems most likely to be receptive to International Woman's Day Promise X (google it if you're not familiar).

2nd/3rd tie: Maria and Ann. They're both cute, but in completely different ways. One's very bookish and shy, while the other is outgoing and tomboyish. They're both dorks, and dorks are awesome.

4th: Karen. Doesn't interest me too much personally. Storywise, both she and Fox have Daddy issues. Sure, that gives them a topic to bond over and makes for good plot and characterization, but having the same problem is a terrible foundation for a relationship because neither of them are in a position to help the other heal from that issue. Also, in FoMT she's pretty much an alcoholic.

5th: Popuri. I don't even know how to express my dislike of this character. She creeps me out.

I'm mostly in agreement with this ranking, except I'd go:

1) Elli
    2) Maria
    3) Karen
    4) Ann
    5) Popuri

I continue to like Elli. If I had to explain it, I'd say it's because she seems to me to be the most normal of the bunch, and I tend to gravitate towards normal more often than not. I know, I'm weird. I also really liked their whole scene about tasting the same thing. Her being a baker and also having a grandma who is sweet certainly doesn't hurt her either. (as an aside, are the little boys related to her in this game? In FoMT I was surprised to find out she had a little brother, not sure if that's the same here or not)

Maria is the quiet bookish type. I like her, but I haven't really seen a lot that makes her seem to gel with Fox. I'm liking her opening up as time goes on, and my opinion on her may change.

Karen I'm liking more the more I see of her. For a long time she was at the bottom of my list, but she's been clawing her way up.

Ann I honestly don't care for a whole lot, but this might just be underexposure, similar to Karen originally. The only thing I can really remember involving her was the interaction with the other guy (Cliff?)

Popouri is interesting enough to read, but not someone I'm interested in. I liked her right at the start, but once the novelty wore off, I find myself more invested in how things pan out with the other girls.

Of course in all cases, these things may change update to update based on what happens.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Karen is my top pick, for reasons I have already put into detail, I don't need to get into them again. Although, I will say I think they fit beyond daddy issues. They have a mutual love of wine and going out for fun, while at the same time, they are not such extroverts that they need to be around people constantly. She gets his humor and, likely, his flirting style. Personality-wise, I think she comes closest.

Popuri used to be my second choice but, honestly, Ann has recently been becoming a lot of fun to read. I want to place her second... No. I like Ann during the courting stage but I feel if she got married her tsundere and flustered attitude that I currently find so charming will dissapear.

I'll stick with Popuri as my second choice. She's always got something cute to say. I like her offbeat point of view. I can see her being happy as his wife. I don't think she'd be needing to change. Yea, she'd likely be a bit less helpful then the others but Fox isn't a guy that minds putting that effort in for what's important to him.

Ann is third, as I am really enjoying reading about her now and I feel she is the most energetic of the girls, a good attribute for Fox, who is the hardest worker in town. They are not just any sort of workers either, they are both farmers. She is most suitable for his lifestyle, I think. The other girls might have trouble adjusting to the farming livestyle.

Hmm, Maria would have a bit of the same sort of wife transition problem that Ann does. She is shy and innocent, qualities that define her and yet might end up being toned back if she was to marry Fox. The moment you wrote where Fox first realized that she was his friend was beautifully portrayed but I just don't see her as being right for him as a lover. I think she is probably best to remain as his friend for his more quiet moments.

That said, there is that Goddess connection she appears to have. Since being Harvest's follower is an important part of Fox's journey in this game. I have to ask myself, to whom would it be best choice to confide that revelation to? It might just be Maria.

Elli is last because her hair... is short.
    Also, her personality is just missing something. She needs to break beyond her good baking skills. I think we need to see other sides of her. She's probably the most level headed of the group. Maybe that could be played up more? She's the kind of girl that would be good to get advice from, I think.

Hey Deme, have you read this manga series called, "The World God Only Knows"? It's my favorite love/comedy comic I read online. It deals with first love stories where the hero keeps making girls fall in love with him in order to save them. Afterwards their memories are erased to avoid issues with the next love story.

DESCRIPTION: Katsuragi Keima is known on the net as the "Capturing God" because of his ability to capture the hearts of girls in virtual dating sims. But in real life he’s known as 'Otamegane' and hates all '3D' girls, believing them inferior to girls of the game world. After unknowingly signing a contract from hell, Elsee, a devil from Hell who has heard of his legendary girl-capturing skills, comes into Keima's world and tells him about the contract he had made with hell, which is to capture the loose souls who escaped to earth. These spirits only hide in the crevices in women's hearts, and the only way to get them out is to make the host fall in love so that the gap in the heart will be filled. Keima unwillingly accepts the challenge, because if he doesn't, he will lose his head.

I enjoy it a lot, you might too. Nothing wrong with reading from the start of the series but you mentioned liking Maria. This comic has it's own cute, shy, librarian, girl story too. It starts at chapter 13 and goes on for 4 chapters. Her name is Shiori.

She's actually my favorite girl of the bunch. Although my favorite love arc is Minami. Who is, coincidentally, another shy girl. There is one big difference between these shy girls and Maria though.

With these girls, I can hear their thoughts.

Hey, that gives me a new super awesome suggestion for the story. Fox should be given the ability to read the minds of cute girls for awhile!

Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-08-21 at 09:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213

GnomeWizardGuy

Maria and Elli tied for first with Ann a close third, due to the reasons everyone else had said. For Fox right now I'd pick Maria because I think he's got the closest connection with her out of those three.

Fourth is Karen, but mainly because her goals clash with Fox's. I see Fox's story as a city boy learning to love the country, while Karen is a country girl who is desperate to live in the city. She needs to live her own life somewhere else.

Popuri is last because her eyes scream of blood and murder.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-08-22 at 12:17 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Maria for first

I suppose Eli can be second with Popuri third.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Well, this has been enlightening. Thank you all.

...I apologize for the delays. Between getting ready to go back to school on Monday, a small Fire Emblem kick, and general not-feeling-well, I've really not been doing as much work on my creative projects as I'd like. I'll be slowly-but-surely working on it when I can.

Feel free to ask them questions while we wait.

(Also, I totally dig the world only god knows.)
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-25 at 08:52 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

This chapter's a bit small, but between all the delays and the hurricane heading my way, I wanted to get *something* up. Particularly this chapter, which has an odd bit of videogames imitating life...

Chapter 14: Calm Before the Storm?
    Spoiler
    Show

Summer - 7 - xxx1

Goood morning, visitor-person. Kent. That.

"When did you get her? That's so cool! Let me pet her next time!"
    "You know, the Green Ranch has cows..."
    "Yeah, but...You're nicer than Gray..."
    "...I cannot deny this."
    "And you say funny stuff like that sometimes!"
    I guess I probably do sound wierd sometimes....
    "Say, aren't you supposed to let them out in the pasture?"
    "It was raining yesterday, so she hasn't had the chance."
    "Oh, yeah...Well..."

"See ya, Kent."

I do my cursory mailbox check and see...

-Maria
    A little 'post card' from Maria. It's sort of a hand-made postcard done with watercolor paper. It shows a warm, tropical beach lit by a golden sun. It's a nice picture...And I'm glad to have it.
    ...But when did she send this? Before the other day?
    ...And now I'm remembering blushing yesterday. I'm...Trying not to think about it too hard. Because that is way more complication than I want out here, alright?

So Maria showing up in the mountains does not help. Does not help at all. She blushes when she sees me.
    "So, what do you do up here? I can't picture a delicate girl like you climbing trees...Especially when you haven't been well."

"I'm kind of surprised, coming from you."

"...Beetles or cicadas. I-I guess I'm a bit more complicated than you'd think..."

"...Can you check again?"
    Because I feel like you are wrong.
    ...But I'll save, I will.
    Anyway, while I was there, I got him to fix the music box.
    "...I...I will find out how you do that. I will learn your secret!"
    "Man, it's a music box. It's not a big deal."

Anyway, time to deliver the music box...To Popuri.

"What a beautiful melody <3"
    "It's apparently a love song."
    "You don't need to say that; I may not look it, but I can appreciate things!"
    "Alright, Alright... I believe you." I pause, watching her expression settle. "I do."
    I mean....Popuri is a lot of things. But I think she's really, basically honest. By comparison, I don't think I've been that honest in a long time.
    "Well, then you appreciate it more than I do. Why don't you take it?"

The smile that spreads across her face is like a sun coming up. I end up smiling back, which just makes her red eyes brighten like a hibiscus in the sun.

"Hey, you're actually smiling!"
    "What?"
    "You don't smile very often. I mean, you're not scowly or anything... And sometimes you'll smirk...But really smiling like you've got no cares? That's what I always want to see, on everyone's faces..."
    "A sunnier world, huh?" Come to that...I don't really know how much smiling I actually do. I guess not a lot. I'm just not a real extrovert all the time. Besides -- most people like the degree of smooth I provide.
    She nods.
    "Thank you <3 For the present...And the smile."
    ...What an odd girl.

Karen's not at the bar, but other people are...

"You're welcome."
    I just felt like being nice. I dunno.
    "You know anything about..."

Dude. Chill. It's just wine.
    "But, I mean, besides all that."
    "Nothing, really... But everyone at the vineyard talks about it. Missus Eve died long before I came to this town...And the way things are...I think started before I arrived, too."
    "So you willingly went and worked in a hot mess?"
    "Well, at first I needed the money to move on..."
    "And now?"
    He turned his head and toyed with the ends of his bandanna with a chuckle.
    "W-welll....I have my reasons."
    Riiiight. Reasons.

"Hey, Harris. What's up?"
    "I'm sore all over. I had a lot of very high-priority deliveries to make, and I had to go it doubletime all day..."
    "That's rough. But no pain, no gain, huh? And, anyway, I bet you got some good money for it."
    "...You're a little right."

"So I couldn't really do any sports at school, and...I was kind of bullied a lot."
    I hold my tongue. A kind of mild-mannered guy like Harris probably would have been eaten alive at my school.
    I wasn't much better, though, so I nod in sympathy.
    "So in some ways, this job really makes up for that."
    "Remember that next time you get worn out, then -- something that makes up for when life is tough... I envy that. I'd not trade it for anything."[/color]
    "You envy me, Mr. Fox? Really?"
    Harris looks really surprised. I don't think he had ever grasped the notion of being envied by someone.
    "Yeah. You're doing something you like, and you always seem happy about where you are."
    "Gosh. Thank you!"
    Well, that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Summer - 8 - xxx1

Oh, shoot, man! A typhoon! Batten down the hatches!....Do I have a mizzenmast to hoist? Do I even have storm shutters?
    Do I even have shutters? Do I need plywood? This area's near the sea -- what sort of storm surge are we expecting?
    "Reveal your weather secrets, news lady!"
    "Be sure to lock up tight and bring animals indoors!"
    ARRRRGH!
    Do I have a flashlight? How are they gonna get fed?
    I don't even have a place to store water...

"Basil! Hey! Did you hear about the storm?"
    "Oh, don't worry about that. It'll pass us right by."
    He sounds completely unconcerned.
    "Did you know..."

"We put lots of vegetables and foods on display, and we vote on a winner!"

"Well, if you've got anything from Spring saved, I suppose."
    "...So...You ask me to enter something I didn't know existed until the day before?"
    "Well...Right now, you probably wouldn't win."
    "Gee, thanks."
    "You're just starting out. But I do think..."

"But you're still green. Things'll improve."
    "Alright...You really think it won't hit?"
    "Not on a holiday!"
    I am not sure I believe him over a meteorologist.

I go up and ask one of the harvest sprites his opinion.
    "The goddess wouldn't let it storm on a festival."
    "But doesn't that take a lot of, I dunno, hoodoo mumbo-jumbo? It's a big storm!"
    "...Yeah, but...No one would believe if she didn't make a little miracle. It's an...Ummm...That thing your dad does."
    "Wait. What. How do you know what my dad does?"
    "You told me when you were here, remember?"
    ...Oh, yeah. I kind of forgot I was meaning to ask about that.
    "So that was you guys!" Child self: 1. Therapists, Parents, Sanity: 1 million.
    Take that!
    "Of course!"
    "Why didn't you say so?"
    "I thought you knew!...Or...Forgot."
    "Well, you're sort of exactly the same! I thought it was like a generational thing!"
    "We're ageless. Stuff like that doesn't apply."
    "Huh..."
    "Since you asked me, can I ask you? What's that good smell?"
    "What good smell?"
    "It's a fruit alcohaul, right? Did you get wine? Can I have some?"
    "What, this?" I take out my Door to Heaven.
    "Oh, this...This is something I should not have."
    "Why not?"

"...It's a memento. Of back then...Even they'd respect it."
    "What? Assume I know nothing, and you will be assuming the truth. What's going on?"
    "...I...I need to talk about this. With the others....We...Don't know what we should say."
    "Um. Alright....By the way. The word you were looking for's 'investment'"
    He nods.

That was...Bizzare.
    I guess I still look worried when I run by Elli's place, because she stops me.

"You look like you've got a lot on your plate."
    "I guess you could say that. But you don't get anywhere by not trying, right? I bet your granny didn't."
    She nods sagely.

"Awww, Granny..."

"Hey, now...Don't go talking like *that*. There's lots left to do, right?"
    "That's right, Granny. I still have a lot to learn from you..."
    Ellen laughs.
    "Ah, forgive an old woman... But...Looking at you, I just had a feeling...That everything's going to be just fine. When the day comes, I'll have no regrets."
    We look at each-other uneasily as the old lady returns to her silent rocking.

"I do worry. I mean, at that age, so much is about willpower...And I...We're all the family we have left."
    "Don't worry. I think she was just feeling philosophical...Hey, do you think my grandpa had any, at the end?" I mean, his relationship with my dad was...A bit like mine. Especially after Mom died.
    "...I can't say. He was Granny's friend, and he never seemed trouble... But who knows what people really feel when they die? I really don't want to think about it, I just can't help it."
    "Alright. Anyway, I promise I'll try and get some rest."
    She puts on a brave smile and nods, and for a moment, we both look out towards the mountain...

Anyway, I go about my business.

"Now, you've got to try not to eat all this for tommorow, OK?"
    "Mooo."
    "I'm going to pretend that's 'Okee Dokey, Fox'."

"And you guys, too. I don't know if I'll be able to get out here."
    I turned to see Malice glaring at me and then at the door, like 'why did you bring me in here? I was fine.'
    "I'm sorry. I just don't want you to die, OK?"
    "*cluck*"
    "Yeah, well, I have thumbs and the ability to operate a TV! So there!"

"You're bunking with me tonight, Link."
    I give him a warm pat before heading back out...

To put Agro in the stables. It's not much, but at least it's some shelter.
    "You be careful, OK, buddy?"

Everyone says it'll be fine...But do I really trust the Goddess so much? We'll see.

And now it's time for a friendly neighborhood...
    Typo Report!
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing fancy here, just some letter stuff, and yet another little pseudo-scene where I had to write out the text to let the characters have some dignity. Ideally, before the summer's out, we'll get to see the one that's the whole reason I wanted to do these typo reports.
    I'll have some glitches and oddities next time.

Anyway, I have a question. You see, I didn't realize that there is a thing for which the mayor's affection really matters: nothing special, but a series of small scenes that eventually have some cute-but-nonessential (well, good for a few affection points at the end, I guess) Maria stuff. Except...
    We probably won't get to see them while they're relevant, because I didn't know about the mayor's part, and haven't been raising his affection much. So, I have a few methods around this.
    #1: Try it legit as best I can. If it's later than I'd like, or not at all, oh wells.
    #2: Temporarily cheat up his affection via cheats for screenshots of the scenes, then save-state to make it all have never happened. This will require replaying at least three days of gameplay, so I might start twitching. Don't be concerned. It's minor twitching.
    #3: The vegetable festival may have, according to some sources, a small glitch I *might* be able to pull off where you can essentially grind up the affection of the mayor and a few other villagers. This may not be enough, but it will make doing so legitly much easier if it isn't. I promise to just use it on the mayor, and not Basil, the Mayor's wife, or Zack.
    I'll let you guys control the exact extent to which I am allowed to cheat for your entertainment.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-10-28 at 03:34 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

7. - Top - End - #217

Honestly, as long as the cheating is mostly behind the curtains (or justifiable in game a la the music box), I'm not bothered by it if you're not. It's your playthrough, I (along with I would guess most others) am here for your telling of the story. If you think cheating to get access to a scene we might not have otherwise will help the story, and you don't feel doing so invalidates your "best playthrough ever" then go for it. At least as far as I am concerned.

Also, please make me happy and tell me Elli's grandma doesn't go and die somewhere mid-game.

Unrelated: Where are you at? I'm sitting in Florida, and got off light, with just some rain all day today. If you're worried about it hitting you, I'm guessing Louisiana somewhere? (Assuming you don't mind saying since you mentioned it, if you don't feel like sharing feel free to ignore)
    Last edited by Seerow; 2012-08-27 at 08:16 PM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Go ahead and show off some glitches. I'm sure you can have some fun writing for it.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

@ Seerow: If I told you what does or does not happen, in terms of things that could be suspenseful or emotional, it'd ruin the suspense of you wondering what happens. I really do like Ellen, as an aside, and was very surprised to find both Elli there and Ellen's line: I'd never seen that one before. This keeps happening, and I hope it never stops.

And yeah, Louisiana. Currently enjoying the day off of school where I'll still be likely to have power. We're staying, since it doesn't sound that bad, and we're in a relatively safe area.

This would most-likely be 'behind the curtain' glitching, with an accompanying Typo Report to explain the glitch, with a few bits of it shown in-story. This is assuming I can pull it off with my resources and that it exists. But if I'm going to cheat, I'd much rather use an in-game method (which tend to only help, not auto-do) than an out-of-game method.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-27 at 08:57 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

You shouldn't do anything that's likely to make you get bored of the game. Cheating and then making it as if it never happened is fine, but needing to replay a segment isn't. Also, I found using the festival glitch incredibly tedious, so I wouldn't do that, myself.

On the other hand, if you begin more formally semi-dating his daughter, maybe the Mayor's opinion of you would improve off-screen? In-game, that doesn't happen, of course, but it would be a reasonable justification for hacking up his affection level.
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2012-08-27 at 09:23 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Story is the most important thing, closely followed by seeing as many of the scenes as we can. I think you know my opinion of cheating since I added the magic doors in Pallet Town in Moemon Leaf Green. Personally, I'd prefer using a glitch over outright cheating, but either method is fine as long as you give an explanation in your story.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

I'm pretty much going to give you a non-answer here.

Do what you feel is right. This is your LP, and the end result/road to get there is entirely up to you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 15: Dreaming of You
    Spoiler
    Show

Summer - 9 - XXX1
    I wake up and it's...
    Perfectly bright and clear-sounding. No wind. Birds are chirping. No rain.

"...Seriously, Goddess? What the heck?! You actually made it not storm? How? If I put on the news, what'll be on?"
    What was on was static. I'm kind of hoping the storm got destroyed, and not just re-routed. I guess we'll see.

I go out to greet everyone.

"I'm glad I get to feed you today. When we can get some time, maybe I'll bring you outside."
    She moos.

And the chickens are...

Outside?
    As I stand gawking, Malice turns and stares at me.

"Did you...Get out? Somehow? How does that even make sense?"
    She clucks, just once.
    "I will hope that's polite, young chicken....I'm...Going to maybe work on our doors."
    How do you chicken-proof a door?

Anyway, off to the festival with me! The Mayor, His Wife, Zack, and May are all 'guarding' the entrances.
    I say hi to May first.

"Not exactly...I ended up not knowing in time to save things."
    "Oh. Well, maybe you'll do a good one next year, right?"
    "Exactly so!"

Yeah, I guess he's my way in. But first, his wife!

"Hey, ma'am. How's it all looking?"
    "Oh, they all look very nice."

"That's good."

"You should announce it at the end of Spring!"
    "It just sort of slipped my mind. Oops."

"Really?"

It's a big affair, with tables of food laid out everywhere. Let's start by consulting the food expert.

"You know anything about veggies?"
    "A bit...They're not my specialty, but nutritious food is important, too, I guess..."
    I try and wipe the smirk off my face before she sees it. She puts her hands on her hips to launch a fact.

"...Depending on how you cook them, so that's something to keep in mind when preparing vegetables."
    "Hmmm...That's interesting."
    "Come on! Try this baked potato with me."
    We each get a small disposable fork-full.
    "It's undercooked. The texture's off."
    "Yeah, and the potato isn't good quality."
    We look across the space between our areas of interest and chuckle.
    "No matter how you slice it..."
    "It's just not very good. I'll have to change my earlier statement."

"You can do that?"
    "I grew it in my own beds... But I'm emberassed, since no one's taking it seriously. It's a good herb, with lots of love!"
    "I bet. They're just not expecting, so there's no need to get worked up."[/color]
    She nods, a little shyly.

"But I'm not sure if the difficulty of growth shouldn't be a factor...Oh,"

"Maybe bring it up with your dad?"
    "He'd never listen to me. He treats me like a kid all the time!"
    Whenever she says that, she looks her least mature. I guess family really does bring out the 6-year-old in you.

I get waved on my way, though.

"Yeah, that's true enough... The soil on the farm seems pretty good to be, but I'm not sure how to really check..."
    "I'll look it up for you, though...But if your vegetables are good, it should be enough, right? Anyway, this is such a nice festival!"

"Cabbage, right?"
    She nods.
    "Yours were really nice. Having lots of cabbage like that must be so nice."
    "Hey, Karen. You got a favorite?"

"Like tomatoes, cucumbers, and celery."
    "But only tomatoes grow here, so they wouldn't be at a festival..."
    "Yeah, yeah. Rub it in."
    "I didn't mean it like that. I just meant..." I dunno. "How about I bring you some of my tomatoes when they come in?"
    "Sounds delicious! You're an alright guy, you know that, Fox?"
    She beams, but then recovers her composure.
    "You better make them good. How good are your vegetables?"

"They'll be my best," I say with a laugh.

Anyway, on I go to check out the rest.
    "What're you up to, Ann?"

"You like Corn?"
    "Like? Like's way too soft a word!"

"That's..."
    "I know, it's not very dainty, but if you don't eat while the eating's good at my house, Gray and Dad will eat everything."
    I will file this under my stuff to give people, then. I get more gift ideas that way.

"How can you tell?"
    "I was working on a meter, but it didn't work out..."
    "Maybe next year?"
    "Maybe."

Except that potato.
    I feel someone looming behind me, and turn to see...

...Is this...Some sort of Eggplant Eldritch Horror?
    An Eggplant turned into a monster to drive men mad?

...I...I need my mommy.

"Please spare my life, oh terrible demon."
    "What was that?"
    "...N-nothing, mister..."
    Was he making heart-noise at me? Oh goddess, defend me! I need an adult...
    He turns and walks away, passing over my like the angel of death over Egypt.

"I understand that you're unhappy, Brother..."
    Kent said, turning to see my face stricken.

"Oh...No, I like vegetables, I just..." I mutter so low that Stu, of all people, talks over me.

"Shut up, I can eat anything I just! I just don't want to!"
    After a minute he relents.

"I'm discriminating about quality...But I'm not picky about type."

"If I don't eat vegetables?"

"To eat vegetables to grow big."

"It's OK. They're really nice if you know what to do with them."
    "I like carrots! They taste..."

"That's the spirit!" This will be a terrible convincing of a kid. I know this...But an adult has to try, right?

We all gather around.

He can't do that with the normal number of exclanation points, can he?

The monster sort of...Bobs. Up and down. Like a Like-Like. Terrifying.

uuhhhhhhhhhh!

I admit, I sort of tune him out.

I can only assume he's talking about his morning breakfast of human flesh.
    I think I need a gun, if he's going to prowl about.
    "Wonderful!"

...A lot of nightmares.

Summer - 10 - XXX1

I catapult out of bed, screaming, and go outside to see...
    My tomatoes are in!
    But only some of them. It looks like I've been a bit inconsistant with my watering...But it does cut down on Harvest Time.

I spot Maria by the mountain and...Well...I do what I usually do, I guess. Give her a little flower I find, smile, and... Feel my heart pick up the pace when she smiles.

"You're always so nice...I think I'll kind of miss...Seeing you out here every day. It felt like serendipity..."
    She barely even gets to the end of that statement before a blush kicks in, and we just sort of hang there.
    "I...I think I'll miss that, too. But I'll still come see you..."
    Because that's what I want. Not just to pass the time with a book, but to see her. That old question of hers lies answered and bare.
    When did that happen?

I've got some tomatoes I promised, so maybe if I go see Karen, it'll clear my head?

Instead, it looks like I've walked into another private moment.

"...With your Father. Really..."

But Karen's having no peacemaking effort.

"Father doesn't care about anything! He should be doing something to bring back this vineyard, right? Not just sitting around, drinking himself to death!"
    Kai sweats nervously, trying to put a consoling hand on her shoulder, but not quite having the nerve -- his raised hand dangles like an unspoken promise in the air.

She walks away, but turns to fire a parting shot.

I walk up close enough to hear him mumble...

"But what?"
    "Oh, nothing...Please don't worry too much."
    "Too late. Things are pretty tense around here, huh?"
    "They'll all worry each-other to their breaking points... What am I supposed to do...?"
    "It sounded to me like she wants you and me and everyone else to step up."
    He laughs, bitterly.
    "Not you, Mr. Fox. Miss Karen goes on a very long time...About how impressed she is."
    "I see..."
    I don't, but...It feels really good, and really confusing, to hear that she thinks that of me.
    I shake it off.
    "So what are you going to do?"
    "...I guess I'll see."
    He looks really, deeply, worried.

I end up running into the mayor on my circuit.
    "Heya..."
    "How is everything? My Maria says you've got a bit of a handful."
    "A bit. It's kind of a mess."

"To work the farm, so it rather fell apart... But please, keep trying."
    "I'll keep doing my best."
    "I do admit, though -- it's a joy to have a new young man in the village. You seem to have brought a swirl of life in your path...It's shaking up a lot of things," He sounds at once worried and relieved as he says that. Some good and some bad, I take it...

I nod.

Anyway, since it's such a lovely day, I think...

It's time to take Clara outside!
    "Onward, ho, Clara!"

I kind of end up pushing her...But it all works out, and she ends up safe and sound.

Karen sighs when I come into the bar.
    "What's up?"
    "That wine you have... That's wine my Grandma made..."

She looks at my worried face and shakes her head.
    "I'm just talking to myself."
    "I wish I could help."
    "This is my...No, that's not what I actually *mean* to say. What I mean to say...Is thanks."
    I nod.

I do a bit of logging, just to pass the time... Before heading to bed.

Summer - 10/11 - XXX1
    And while I'm asleep...
    I have a very odd dream.
    [i]
    I'm in a room. It's kind of cramped, and it smells very dusty...There's a sudden wave of nostalgia. I feel like...I've been here before.
    Like this whole dream is deja vu.
    A little voice says to me,

An old fairy tale book? The person in the dream looks at it with a sad smile. In that moment, I want to do everything to take that sadness away...But there's nothing I can do. Or is that something I feel now, in this moment, but want...For that moment?

"I'll come visit again next year," I promise. It's not me-now saying that...It's dream-me, and the disconnect seems foggy and blurred.

The girl is about to cry.
    I thrust the book into her hands, and somehow she understands that I want her to have it, even though I don't say anything.

"Come on. Say goodbye to little..."
    My father's voice interrupts the peace of the room, and he pulls me by the hand as I say goodbye.

"I'll still come see you..." I tell that girl, echoing the me in the dream. She fades into mist, and I realize I didn't keep my promise at all. Not that next summer...

The girl was waving for a long time...

That girl...

Summer - 11 - xxx1

I wake up with a muggy feeling. It's wierd, having such a feeling on a bright and sunny morning. What was that? Was that a dream, or...
    Some sort of memory?

Anyway, I have a few crops to bring in, and little time for philosophy...But I'm glad to see the Harvest Sprite out of his cave today. It makes things seem normal.
    "Hey, what's up?"
    Wait, did I just say the version of events with the little elves were normal? That's...
    Nevermind.
    "We came to a decision! It was kind of a fight. Many hats were removed in disagreement."
    "...What?"
    "About the wine."
    "Oh, I see..."
    I guess.
    I will pretend this makes sense.

"You think she'll talk to me? We kind of had a fight..."
    "Apologize! This is important!"
    "...If you say so."
    I'd really like to know what's going on better...

But for now, I go head to the library.

There's an old book on the desk...Something about it looks familiar, too...
    It's...

Suddenly, I get hit with a wave of deja vu. This...Happened in my dream, didn't it?
    "F-fox, I'm sorry, but t-that book...It's not..." She musters her courage, now-or-never style.

"Don't worry...I wouldn't take it from you, Maria." I say, with a faint smile. She suddenly looks at me, and at the book, and at me, and at the book, and gasps a bit.

When she says that, it clicks into place. When I was little... I definately met Maria here, and lent her this book. I say 'lent,' but...I never came back for it.
    "Yeah...Man, that was a long time ago."
    She brings her hands up to her face and blushes very hard.

"I-I wasn't...I couldn't ask you. I never could...And you didn't say anything, so I...I thought maybe... you wouldn't care."
    "Don't be silly, Maria. I..." My mouth is working on its own, leaping in against my wishes. I'm not sure what exactly I'd wish, but I'd like to know what's going on! "I care about you."
    She pretends not to have heard that, for her own sake. Or mine.

"Don't think about it as a kindness. Really," I say, trying to recover my calm. "It was...It was something my mother read to me."
    "Your mother?"
    "She died, not long before I came to visit here. I think...My dad wanted me to forget her, at least a little."
    Maria's eyes go wide.
    "How could you have...given me something so precious...?"
    "Like I said; I think I came here to forget...Or...Maybe," And here I smile, a little nostalgic, "I wanted to share something with someone else that she shared with me."
    She looks slightly puzzled, but eventually she nods.
    "Thank you, then, for sharing that with me."

"You're welcome...I'm amazed you held onto it."
    "It was a loan! I couldn't just throw it away...You might have come back."
    "I did eventually," Is all I can say, with a shrug.
    She nods.

"Hey... What was your favorite story? I think I remember them pretty welll..."

We ended up talking about that for a long time. It was nearly sunset when we both went home.

"I'm glad...That you came back, by the way."

I end up staring after her for a long time.

I walk to the bar in a daze. Gray sees me and, I think, almost...Tries to start up a conversation.
    "How are... your chickens? Are they producing good eggs...?"
    I have one in my pack, so I hand it over for his inspection. This earns me...A mildly different frown. A thoughtful one.
    "...Not bad."
    "You think? Well, I'll trade you the egg for that compliment."
    He takes a surprised second to process that. Then he tries to lower his hat and says,

"They're good."
    He writes down a few instructions.

"Thanks, Gray."
    "Hmph."
    And then he relents and adds...

While I'm at it...
    "Hey, Zack. I've got a spare tomato. Want one?"
    "What?"
    "Well, I felt like being nice."

"Man, for a town full of recipes, no one seems to be confident in their cooking..."
    "It's the bakery! It puts us all to shame!"
    He declared, laughing.

That bit of comradery shown, I fall into a deep and dreamless sleep.

And now a quick... Typo Report! Well, more like Glitch and Stuff Report.
    Spoiler
    Show

About the Typhoon
    My avoiding the typhoon was not a save-state trick (my putting the chickens outside was). Basically, Harvest Moon 64 does not like bad weather on its festival days.

About the Vegetable Festival Glitch
    OK, you know where the Mayor asked if we had a vegetable? Well, I didn't. But besides that, you can say no. If you say no, you can keep wandering around. If you keep wandering around, exit the screen, and come back...
    It resets (or simply doesn't set) the bit of the game that tells the game that you've already gained affection by talking to these people. Allowing you to gain the affection again and again and again.
    Now, of course, you probably don't have much time to gain much from this, but it's there. I'll probably gradually cheat up the mayor's affection values for our purposes. Heck, maybe I can cheat them back down to more normal levels, so we can still gain them naturally for end-game scoring purposes!
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-09-06 at 09:46 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A new chapter. Awesome. About Maria. Even more awesome.

Anyway. Great chapter as always. The festival was a festival, but eh, what can you do. The Maria part was very well written. Don't know how much of that was your writing, and how much of that was you letting the game shine through, but it was very touching.

15. - Top - End - #225

Spoiler
    Show

It's rare to see Karen so excited. That girl really loves her raw veggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Loved the update. I love how you incorporate some of the features (it's not a bug it's a feature) of the game into your writing.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
    Anyway. Great chapter as always. The festival was a festival, but eh, what can you do. The Maria part was very well written. Don't know how much of that was your writing, and how much of that was you letting the game shine through, but it was very touching.
    Well, the in-game scene is a bit shorter than the LP scene...Rule of thumb s any mention of Fox's mom is an invention; she's mentioned all of nowhere in the game. Neither is his grandmother. Really weird. But I think it's a fair mix of my work and the game; I think my task in LPing is to flesh out and deepen from the game. HM64 does a better job than most games at telling me where I need to expand, and how.

@ ObadiahtheSlim:

Indeed. It's my duty to show off all of the game's features, if I can... And anyway, the 'games imitating life' bits of it were too good to waste.

Also, happily, I realized that one of Karen's events includes a small tour of the vineyard's cellar. I still have to do some small bits on my own, but it certainly saves me some effort.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-09-11 at 06:34 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Yay Maria!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Heh.
    I apologize for some delays here -- it's really got nothing to do with my new project, since...Well...

I've been stalling on this one scene since, like, Thursday. It's getting frustrating, so getting the chapter done may take a little while more than I'd like. I'm going to take a break from working on it for right now, and come back every few hours and try and get some momentum going. I've been having this trouble with my other writing projects -- no idea why.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-09-15 at 02:25 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Taketh thine time, Deme. Beautiful stories like this take time to cultivate.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 16: Grape Spirits
    Spoiler
    Show

Summer-12-xxx1

I'm still in a bit of a daze...And I don't end up saying anything important to anyone...

Until I end up in the library. In front of a girl I...
    No, no. I'm not going to say that. Even if I'm starting to worry it might be true.
    A girl I like. How about that. Shutup.

Well, anyway, all those queasy and totally style-wrecking feeling-type-objects aside...
    "During the long summer vacation...But I never end up doing anything out of the ordinary."
    If she's feeling uneasy, she doesn't let it show. I'm impressed.
    "I know what you mean...Time just flies by....But...Is 10 days really that long?"
    "Longer than most people here get, anyway."
    "You have a point. But it's not like what matters is vacation; vacation's for slacking, right?"
    "You may have a point...Well, I-I suppose I got some good sketching done."

I nod. Really, I guess most of my life was a vacation if I say 'Vacation is for slacking'

"Another scorcher. I was hoping that that storm we didn't have would bring in some cool air."
    "It would be nice...It's so hot in summer, it's hard to breathe..."
    "D-Don't faint, OK? Just stay in the shade...Drink lots of water."
    "I know, I know...But someone has to watch out for the plants, too. They need a lot of extra water during the summer."
    "Good point...Just take it easy."
    She nods fiercely.

Anyway, the rest of my day is deeply incident-less, so I go to do chores and find...

That my last little chicken's grown up! Little...I actually have no idea, but the point is, hooray! I put him out with the others.

I log and clear another patch in the animal pen tonight, and go to bed. Today was an easy day, after all the wierdness...

Summer-13-xx1

More tomatoes! Hooray!

Now, I've been thinking about what I want to do...And what I think I want to do, what everyone wants me to do...
    Is to do something about the vineyard. Which is all fine and good...But I really don't know why *I* need to do something. I'm not a wine-maker.
    And I guess that means I should...What? See if there's any help I could give? I don't want to ask the goddess until I know for sure...

So I guess I need to take Karen up on her offer for a tour.

"Hey, Karen...I was wondering about that tour you offered...I'm sort of a fan of drinks."
    "You, really? I couldn't tell."
    I laugh. That's something I kind of like about Karen. Laughing's easy...But I get the feeling letting everything down, holding her when she's upset...That'd be easy, too.
    Shut up, brain. Shut up, alternate brain! I'm here for a tour, alright?
    "Alright, Alright... I've got a few minutes, so we can at least look at the stuff outside. You've seen my house...Next to me's the entrance to the cellar where we age the wine. We do a lot of work there, especially in the winter...I'll show you that another time."
    I look. Something about the building...Looks familiar. It just sort of fits into a...a hole in the back of my head.

Oh, well.

"I know, it's a littly dingy. Life should be...A bit more glamorous, don't you think?"
    "Glamorous?"
    Yeah, like...Things should be sleeker. More elegant. Cooler, you know? Not so old and dead. Like in the city."
    "...Maybe. The city was just kind of a mess sometimes."
    "Spoilsport! Come on!"

She dashes around the field of grapevines, trying to find the perfect one to show. I don't see the deal, but her enthusiasm -- coming through in a bright smile here or there... Is always something I like. It's like washing the world clean.

"So, this is our field. It's not as big as yours, or the Green's, or anything... And our grapes aren't very good right now, but...It's ours, alright?"
    She pulled up, a little defensively. I guess until she really takes the plunge, it's hers...
    "I think it's a nice field...But something's...Missing." I'm not sure how to describe it.

I remember the Harvest Sprite saying that he used to have friends here.
    "Yeah. But no one's going to do anything, so there's no hope in hoping, right? This place is...Sort of a loss."
    "I don't know, Karen."
    I can't shake this feeling...The smell of old sadness... And something...Missing. Like a bit empty patch.
    "I think...That you still care, so you should fight for it."
    "What? What gave you that idea?"

"Well, it's...Your face. You go to show me the grapes, and you smile like you mean it. You hate with all your heart...That everyone else has surrendered it. That's what I see."
    We end up walking towards the edge of the field, around the fence. Karen laughs.
    "That smile, when you're really passionate about it, even if you don't want to be... It's really beautiful, Karen."

"...There you go again. One minute, you're just some wierdo. Then you burst out like you can see inside me. I...I really don't know what to make of you, you know that?"
    She looks at me and grins, and it's a certain warm and laughing feeling again.
    "Anyway, Fox, you've seen what there is to see, and I've got to work, so let's..."

She turns to go to the gate as I notice it.

An old grey tree, at the edge of the fence. It limbs weighted down with time and brittle with death, it stands like a half-hung skeleton.

I'm drawn to it. I can't escape it...It's like a black hole. For a moment, I get a feeling...Like it really is a black hole. It's sucking up everything around it, until it's all as dead and brittle as it is.

"Oh, that thing? Ignore it. It's been dead as long as I can remember, but daddy won't get it chopped down."

...Is this...Why the friends of the sprites left? Is this what's at the root of this place? This dead tree?
    If I find a way to fix this, will that...Help? Will it be what I can do, to help Karen?

I turn at her prompting and begin to head back towards the gate.
    "Hey, you know what? I do know at least one thing to make of you, you know? I... Kinda like you. <3"

It's like having a bomb dropped on my head. I really didn't think that girls out here...Were that bold. Or that they'd like me. I kind of...Gave up, you know?
    ...And 'liking' me. Not thinking me hot, or anything. But like in middle school.

She walks away before I can even answer.
    "What am I supposed to do?" I mutter.

"...But...Watch out for that girl."
    "Is that a warning, or...?"
    "You figure it out, cityboy."

I go to the flowershop in a state of confusion. I think I need to ask the Goddess about that tree, but...I don't really know what to ask.
    "Something on your mind?"
    "Maybe it's a young lady. I bet a man as handsome as Fox is quite popular with the girls... But our Popuri still has a shot <3."
    "W-wha?"
    Lillia laughs.

"...I'll just take some grass seeds."

It's fine.

"Yup."

Most of my day continues as normal... But it's in the back of my head. I do my chores before I go and see...If I can see the Goddess.
    Hopefully, she'll forgive me.

I toss in my egg and begin.

She rises up, sees me, and glares. She puffs out her chest and stares at me in an imperious manner.

She actually sounds properly sarcastic, there. Face could use some work, though.
    "What do you want?"

...Darnit, pride. Well, I need to get rid of it now if I'm going to help.
    "Listen, I'm sorry. You were only trying to...Well, ok, you weren't exactly...Don't worry for me, OK? I'm not giving up so soon."

"I'M SORRRRRRRY!"
    She flings her arms around my shoulders and squeezes me tight. There's no water on her, and she smells faintly of grass blades.
    "I just thought it'd make you happy...And you'd stay here and worship me and we wouldn't be all alone!"
    The words come out in a breathless, almost meaningless rush.

"It's alright, really... I wasn't really even that mad..."
    "Well, OK, then...If you say so..." She brightens up for a radiant smile. "I'm glad we made up. Silly you, fighting with me. <3"
    There she goes again...Well, anyway...

"Actually...I came here for a reason."
    "Oh?"

"That old tree, in the vineyard...Does it have something to do with why it's failing?"[/color]

"My goodness. You came this far... Yes. Long ago, before the Grape Spirit that lived there went to sleep, the vineyard was home both to it, which nurtured the grapes, and the kiefu fairies -- little sprites who lived among the vines... But they left, long ago. When people stop believing, there's nothing to do but leave or die...Just like the Grape Spirit."

"Is there something I can do? The Harvest Sprites said to ask you."
    "Absolutely. You just need to say the word...And as your goddess, I will intercede on the behalf of humans to my fellow spirits. Now...What are you interested in doing?"
    She spreads her arms expectantly, a calm look on her face. I'm reminded of Popuri, when she's lost in her meditations...
    All I need to do is ask? Really?

"Well, Duh. Call back the Grape Spirits."
    If what Karen wants is someone to fight for what she loves...Then for that smile, isn't that the least I can do?

I want to help her smile. I'll worry about stuff like what that means and what I feel later!

I'm starting to smell a catch. There's one coming up.
    So much catch.

She flies alongside me as we head down the mountain. Night settles around the two of us, goddess and man. The carpenters don't see her; is this why she cares about me? Because I can? Or, right now, does she not want to be seen?
    ...I rather hope the latter, but let's be honest. It's not the case.

We go to the old vine-tree in the dark.

"It needs the power that radiates from it...The heart that believes..."
    She whispers it, like a chant.

I'm not the heart it's looking for. But I'll do my best....

I pray, thinking of Karen's laugh. I pray, thinking of the smile her mother came when I said I was there to see her. For Kai, staring helplessly after her.
    ...For watching out for that girl, maybe even.
    Please, wake up.
    After a while, it loses words and it's just a feeling, above and below words.

And the tree begins to pulse golden from the inside. I feel it through my eyelids.

There's the noise of a wine bottle uncorking, and the sound of the wine being poured onto the old vine.
    "And now...A little bit of the wine over the roots...And, for an offering like this..."
    Suddenly, there's a sharp cut across the top of my wrist. Blood wells to the surface, and as I open my eyes, I see her holding my wrist. Her fingertips are bloody.
    "The heck?!"
    "A little blood. Just a bit, to sweeten the wine. The last blood and this man's first blood-offering... That's power to rouse the most forgotten god."
    She cooed gently, letting the blood drop onto the ground.

"But it still hurts."
    "Shhh...Look."

The tree pulses one final time...

And comes to life.

The voice of the vine-tree is gnarled and smoky, hoarse with sleep.
    "...I was having a good dream."

"Things are rather lost without you...And every dreamer must awaken."

"Everyone's miserable. The little fairies that apparently lived here are all gone, and there's no life in this place. It's all vinegar and rot...And...
    There's a girl here. This is her home, and its death is driving her away, and driving her family apart. If you're some sort of god, isn't your job to protect them?"
    I try and ask it calmly, but maybe there's a bit of frustration in it.
    "Maybe they stopped believing because you gave up on them...
    Everyone has to hold on to what they love together, or no one can hold on at all."

It seems to think this over.

"So the Kiefu fairies also went somewhere, huh? I'm sorry..."
    That's not...What I meant.

"What? Really?"

"Things are finally getting interesting here...Don't lose this one like the last one, your ladyship."
    "Hhmph!"

The tree fell silent.

"You did it! Good job! We all knew you could do it..."
    "Surprise to me."
    "Well, nice as it is...It's not exactly true. You've done your part, and it's a good thing...But can the Grape Spirit bring them home? We can't know just yet... Let's hope for the best."

"I guess. But then I'll have gotten hurt for nothing."
    She lays a hand on my wrist, and the wound heals with just a tiny scar remaining.
    "Sorry about that...And... I'll think about what you said."

And then suddenly everything goes dark and fuzzy, and I find myself drifting into an immense darkness, thinking...

That's not true, part of me says. It was a wierd day...

And, ultimately, I have a wierd sleep.

Summer - 13/14 - XXX1
    I hear someone...I'm by an old stone building, and I hear a little voice...

Again, the place and time escape me. Only the little sobs of the girl, her voice like a crow's from shouting for so long, give me any sort of context in this world. I...I want to find her.

I push my hand against the wall seperating her from me...And at once, it gives way. I tumble, like Alice down the rabbit hole, and come out...In a dark room. It smells faintly of something sour -- I know the word now, but the me in the dream doesn't understand it, and the word slips from my head.
    It doesn't belong in this moment. The me who knows it...Is he an intruder, too?
    I just wanted to help the girl. She stops in her sniffling when she sees me. It looks like she's got a halo.

"I was looking around, and I heard...And so...I was just sort of feeling around...And I found this."
    I motion to my entryway. It's a little gap in the wall, half-hidden by the big tubs and supplies. It's more than big enough for the me in the dream to fit in, and the two of us look at it in wonder.

"What happened? Why are you crying?" I ask, from my place in the moment and my place outside it.

"Home..."
    She says.

"You can. We just go through this hole...And I'll deal with your daddy!" I say, my chest puffed out with childhood bravado. The girl laughs through her tears, and gives me a faint nod.

I went to her home with that crying girl...

...And then?
    The dream fades away before I can know.

Summer-14-XXX1

The corn is in! I pick everything I can in one big rush...But since Ann likes it so much, I save her some.

And I get a little note from Karen. It's not an elabote postcard, just a little message.
    "Come watch the water with me again sometime, OK?"
    Will do, I guess...

I go through my day, and at first it's pretty ordinary...At least, it is until I head to the ranch.
    "Hey, Ann! My corn harvest came in, so I thought...It'd be something you'd want a taste of!"
    She gives me a big smile.

I didn't actually...No, no, never allow someone to think you didn't intend a good thing.

"It's not the ideal gift...But I did at least want to show I was thinking about you." That's true enough; I was thinking about her when I picked it.
    "Happy Birthday, Ann!"

She laughs. We just sort of end up chatting there for a while, casually.

"...Yeah, actually. I talk to the animals on the farm all the time...Whatever difference that makes." I can't seem to not roll my eyes when I say that last bit. Earnestness is not a strength.
    "They may not understand words...But they immediately understand..."

"I envy them; human feelings get tangled up in words, and they can be so frustrating!"

"Aint that the truth," I say, thinking about my own web of feelings. "Well, have a good birthday, Ann. Really."

"Oh, I will! Count on it!"

...I go and do my chores really quick...Because something's on my mind.

"Can I really know if you like me, Malice?"
    Malice bawks.
    "...Yeah, didn't think so."

I also figured I'd just stall for time; Karen's usually busy if she's working in the morning, right? So I figured maybe I could see inside that shed if I went in the afternoon...
    Besides, something about it just sparked my interest.

I don't see her heading in, but...It's not like the place is locked. I try the door, and close it shut behind me...

To see Karen. She doesn't look like she was working, so I guess I came at the right time.

"Shall I show you the whole operation? I do sort of keep promising... There's a downstairs, too."

"Absolutely."

"Oh, yeah. So with the way you do things, they'd be ready for drinking, right?"
    "That's right. You can even just fill a bottle up and drink it right now -- the taps are a bit loose, so it's easy to do. Try it!"
    She laughs and motions me to go ahead.

I put my bottle near the tap...
    "Just give it a little whack with the palm of your hand. This place is such a wreck," She says, with a little laugh.
    I tap it, and wine flows into my bottle for a little bit, until it fills naturally.

"Let's have a drink; it's not like I mind, right?"
    She takes out her flask and has a sip of her own...Well...
    Down the hatch.

It's a bit of a rush on an empty stomach....

We grin like a couple of high-school kids sneaking from the liquor cabinet.
    "We've got a couple of older bottles on the rack, too...Not too much older. And we've got stuff from other places in the house. We still get some tourists and stuff..."
    "It's a pretty countryside; I bet lots of people tour."
    She shrugs.
    "Well, let's head out; that's all there is to see."

She fiddles with the door some more.

"We're locked in? Like, actually locked?"
    "Uh-huh!"
    She looks really panicked.
    "It's alright. We'll find a way out, or someone'll realize we're in here..."
    She calmed down.

"I can't stand cramped spaces...My dad used to close me in places when he wanted to punish me..."
    "I'm sorry, Karen...Don't worry. We're not trapped."

Is that...What happened in my...No, not my dream. My memory.
    Which means...There's a way out.

"Karen. Let's just look around and..."

"I think there's a way out here."

She comes over to the back corner with me and looks at the hole in the wall.
    "My god! This thing!"
    The worry lifts from her face.
    "Thank goodness you found it..."

We kind of have some trouble wiggling out -- this was fine when we were kids, but it's a tight fit now...But we eventually get out.

Night's already fallen.

"Had forgetten about it...I only used it a few times after..."
    She turns and evaluates me, a dawning realization on her face.

"A long time ago?"

"Yeah. I heard you crying, back then...And I wanted to protect you. Silly kid white-knighting, I guess..."

When she hears that, she looks surprised and turns away.

"And you saw me so nervous earlier, too...And you were always nice, even when I was being a jerk to you..."

"I had kind of forgotten it to, but I remembered that that happened the other night... But everyone needs someone to be nice to them. I guess you reminded me of me."

She looks...Startled. I can't tell if I just flattered her or insulted her. In the moonlight, the gold of the front of her hair pops out, and seems like the halo of a saint.
    She flubs about for a word and just settles on...

"And...Thank you again."

And then she's gone.

...She's kind of cute when she does that.

When I head home, there's money on the shipping bin, to greet my silent home.

I'm building up quite a lot of money. I could do a lot with this...

A lot of things are on my mind tonight as I drift to sleep.

Ok, so...What are we doing with all this money? I have a few suggestions.
    #1: We get another cow. Name suggestions if chosen.
    #2: We get a Sheep, which when it grows, will produce Wool once a week. Wool is worth some decent money, and is the perfect gift for Ann, but...Once a week dear god why.
    #3: Save it for when we get enough lumber to build a kitchen (we're about 200 away), allowing us to refrigerate things like fruits, wild items, eggs, cakes, etc.
    #4: Spend it on mixed stuff like more grass, a storage thing for non-refrigeratable items from Rick, our milker...Rainy day money...
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-09-16 at 03:35 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd vote for another cow, but you'll probably need more grass growing if you're to feed another grazer. One tile of grass per day per animal, and it takes... I wanna say 7 days for it to grow back once eaten, so you need at least 7 tiles per animal, right?

Hmm... How about "Emmett" for the second cow's name?

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

I do have a second plot of grass that I just planted, but it'll take a while to be established.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have been bad about posting, but <3 Karen. Even if I've missed the chance to support her for the endgame.

How useful is a kitchen? It seems pretty expensive, do you actually have problems with things spoiling? If not, I like #4 unless another cow would be that useful.

Also, during the first tour of the winery, you have the wrong color for Karen when she says
    "Spoilsport! Come on!"

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

You have not! We haven't made any formal votes on who to marry, and won't until we're at full affection with everyone. Fox is, with conflicting feelings for two girls already, inclined to take the Tenchi Muyo approach right now.

The kitchen is, at one point or another, essential for our purposes. It's required to get married. It can also, if done before the end of summer, make wooing Ann easier by a wide margin, by allowing us to store corn to give to her...As well as just storing other food objects and counting towards our 'build all the things' requirement.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-09-16 at 03:34 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

cool chapter. I say get a sheep. The earlier you get it the more profitable it will be.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

I guess I'll say get a kitchen, because having options is always nice.

Very nice update. <3
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I vote for a kitchen. By the way, these dream sequences are very nice.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote sheep as well. That way you have more narrative options. Plus you can start building up it's affection values now so you can get the best quality wool sooner rather than later.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Get a sheep. He's a bachelor, kitchens are unnecessary.