New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

I've been lurking this thread for a little while. However, this

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    I'm sorry for a delay; I am getting new carpeting, and did not anticipate what this would do to my nerves (I guessed it would be bad, since I find any change inherently bad and stressful...But not this bad.) I'll work on the chapter as I can pull myself together, and maybe get some extra stuff done to compensate at some point. I'm done the short "half" of this chapter now.
    makes me feel like I should break my silence.

Deme, I greatly look forward to the next chapter, but I hope that you take as long as you need to still have fun with it.

You've already brought out an enormous story from a game with much quieter drama than I am accustomed to, to the point that I have become rather invested in the story, despite its aforementioned distance from my typical fare. For that, I thank you.

Hope that by the time you're reading this, you're feeling better.

*sinks back under the waves*
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

What the sugar molecule said.

Deme, of course you know that we want you to take as much time as you need to feel better, and that you are an amazing LPer on these forums.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

Heh. I'm thankful for the support, though... I admit, I mainly post messages like those as a sort of professionalism; just trying to be polite about messing up the schedule that I've implicitly promised.

Chapter 25: Moon drop
    Spoiler
    Show

Fall-8-XXX1
    Ugh. I should not dance the night away and have to get up at 6 in the morning. This is why I liked noon. Noon is nice.

My first generation of eggplants are in! Hoorah Hooray!

I do every day...But something about the letter evokes in me the mental image of walking with Maria, pointing out the golden leaves. The two of us, enjoying the air, her tiny hand sneaking its way into my grasp...
    The warmth of it's a little startling. I may have to take her up on it.

..What...What trip?
    ...Last night?

The Wandering Cameraman
    ...YOU.

"Last night was private, you cretin!" I yell at the notion of this man. How does he know these things are happening? Is he stalking me?

...I hate to admit it, but the picture does look nice in my album. Grr.

Anyway, I pick up some supplies from the mountain and then head into town.

"Cakes are the best because she bakes them with fresh ingredients and love."
    I don't take issue with the rest of that (Because it's true, Elli makes a mighty fine cake) but...
    "'Little' Elli?"
    "oh. Did that slip out?"

He glances nervously and apologetically at Elli, and fiddles with his bowtie.

"I knew Elli when she was little...I'm older than her, and knew her parents, so...I just ended up calling her that."
    He uneasily chuckles.
    "I'm pretty sure calling your employees 'little so-and-so' is an HR nightmare." I say, to put him at easy.
    "That may be true; lucky for us we don't have a human resources department to get mad."
    "The advantages of a small, family-and-you-owned business."
    He nods.

Come to that...Jeff manages. Elli bakes. Ellen rocks back and forth. Who actually owns this place? Logic says...Maybe Ellen? Did Elli's parents own it?

"What's the matter? Something on your mind?"
    "Ehhh..." I could ask, but...Hardly seems worth it. "Anyway, I like that salespitch. I guess I'll take a cake."
    "Great! Let's see...I think this one here's the best."
    "Because it has the most love?" I joke.
    "Because it was on the oven's good side." She sticks her tongue out in return.

Anyway, with the cake for a bit of lunch treat, I go and talk to people, help out at the church a bit, eat my lunch...

And go to the ranch. I've got an idea in mind, but I'm also just here to see people.

"Wonder if she's got a guy in mind."
    There is no safe answer to this statement.
    "You think if you knew that, you'd have her figured out?"
    [color=orange]"Well, I'd know what was up with her and my brother! That knucklehead's not gonna move until he gets an invitation, but I can't tell if she's inviting him or not!"
    ...For once, Grey himself saves my bacon.
    "He's right behind you, you know."
    And blushing so hard I think he's going to start burst something.
    "Eeek!"
    "...Leave me out of this."
    "...*sigh*"

Anyway, what I came here for was...

This.
    "adult cows to get calves. Pregnant cows give less milk. You want to buy some? It costs 3000."
    Oohhh...That's a little steeper than I was expecting. Maybe I'll hold off.

But I'll be back. Just you wait and see!

I go out, take care of my animals...And hit the bar. It's another quiet night there, though. No one to talk to be Karen, The Barkeep, Jeff, and Mr. Green.
    The latter of which immediately decides to grab me and start grumbling at me.

"Something if they don't have a mother..."
    "...IIII...Don't think so?"
    I try that one on for size. How would I know if I was 'missing something'? I know he's talking about his kids, since I've never seen a Mrs. Green or anything...
    But yeah. I have a pretty vague memory of my mom, and...That's all I have. Dad didn't keep photos. We didn't tell stories. After I got back from here...We pretended that she hadn't existed.

It seemed better that way. Maybe?

"I don't know...But I like your kids, as a guy your kids' age. They're good people."
    He pats me on the back, which in rural man-speak, may amount to kissing me. I don't know, and will need to check my guide to regional personal bubbles.
    "Thanks, kid. You're not bad yourself, for a city boy."
    "I aim to please."

I chat with everyone else, drink a lot of water...And I head home. Since the night's still pretty young, there's a bit of work left to do in terms of cleaning up the field...

So I take care of the few loose rocks remaining. I haven't decided if I'm going to connect my fenced-off areas, or if I'll eventually de-fence it and just keep growing the grasslands out...

And then I go to bed.

Fall-9-xxx1

Another sunny fall morning, another set of Eggplants to harvest...

Also, I cannot state how annoying it is to have to ride across the farm just to fill my watering can every time. At least I have Agros to help me.

Who knew using magical sprinkler-cans wore you out so much?

Anyway, I go do the mountain stuff, running into Stu (but not Kent? How odd) up there...
    And then I drop by the Vineyard. Everything...I dunno. Feels a bit better. Maybe not totally fixed, on a personal level...But the air's brighter and sweeter, and everyone seems too hard at work to fight.

Well, except Kai. Who's taking a water break (I guess. Maybe someone's still slacking off, huh?)
    "Heya. How goes the harvest?"
    "Actually...Really well. The first batch of grapes was kind of discouraging, but the ones that came off the vines yesterday were practically flawless!"
    I'll accept all praise and checks.
    "This may really be the year this place starts turning around..."
    He smiled wistfully and looked out over the grapes.
    "Is this enough that she'll stay?"
    "I think so." I do not tell him about the other night.
    "She's ready, though. To decide her path." Kai's mouth twisted into a tight line, at once happy and uncertain.

"I really admire her. I was afraid to take..."

"away. But not anymore! I'll do it!"
    Seriously?
    I think about Karen, twirling away by faerie-light...I could stand a real chance of losing my chance.
    But if she said yes...Then it'd mean she wants Kai, so I should be OK with that. But...Ugh.

"I just...Need a while. To think of what to say," He admits sheepishly.
    Well, that at least buys me a little time to decide what I want...

As I approach the grapes, her father's glare strikes me. I walk over, trying very hard to vanish into my clothes.

Hey, buddy, if I knew, I'd...
    OK, I don't know what I'd do.

I think this is his idea of being nice, but I feel like he's about to punch me, grab me by the hat, and drag me to her. Like some sort of matchmaking caveman.

I do the sensible thing and flee for my life.

Anyway, I head to town for a bit, though I don't really find anyone to talk to...So off to the ranch!
    Where Grey has a little word of warning for me.

"I'll do my best every day."
    I mean, if I lose Malice's trust, I am not sure what will happen.

So I give them a little extra love at the end of the day.

With my field cleared of rocks, the only farm work left is tilling everything for grass to grow on. I'll get to that, but before I can...

A warm voice reaches me. I know it without thinking.
    "Hey, Elli."
    I call out before walking back over.

"A wonderful night..."
    She smiles and the autumn chill melts from the air. She's got a little basket in her hands...
    Is she asking me out? This doesn't sound like any date I've been on, but...At the same time...

"...Sure."

We walk along in the moonlight, Elli swinging her basket slightly as she walks, no rougher than rocking a baby. We chat about little things; the weather, the farm, the bakeshop, Granny's health...
    "What's in the basket? Come on, Elli." I say, anytime we hit a lull. And she just giggles, and pulls it away from me.
    "You'll think it's silly, if you see it too soon. Let it wait."
    I don't think I've blushed this much on a "date" with a girl since High School. But I think I've been saying that a lot. I don't even know if this is a date or not; I just can't read this!

All I know is that the light tonight comes soley from the full moon -- a golden moon that seems to take up half the sky. Its light falls softly, rounding off the edges from the world. We walk in that light; from time to time, she grabs my shoulder when the path is slick from rain, and too dark to find footing.

As we're almost there...
    "Why tonight, anyway? This is... A little sudden."

"It's a Harvest Moon. My grandma used to tell me it was magical."
    "Oh yeah, I've heard of those...They're called that because the light lets you harvest longer." Hardly seems magical to me...But then I remember that we live with a goddess who controls the weather. Right. Maybe a few extra hours to work is magic.
    "Sounds about right...But that's not what makes it magic...According to Granny. You take a little water from the fountain," She begins to gesture as she speaks, fluidly laying out 'ingredients' for a sort of 'recipe.'

"And two people stir it up slowy with a spoon together."
    "...And then what happens?"
    "Actually, I'm not entirely clear on that."
    She moves her hand through her short hair, bits of it catching the golden light of the moon and accenting the movement.
    "Granny's story says...Magic occurs, and it becomes 'moon drop essence.' I'm not sure if I believe her exactly..."
    Her gaze sweeps up across me and to the moon. Her eyes grow soft and dreamy.
    "But when I was a kid, I used to think about it late at night, and...I thought it'd be worth trying, at least once."

"Well, now I'm kind of curious, too. Let's do it."
    We enter the goddess' grove in the darkness -- unlike the summer, there are no fireflies tonight. With only the moon's light, we are a series of half-suggested shadows. Elli takes out a glass bottle from her basket, like the one I have, and kneels beside the spring. Her movements seem languid and fluid, her dress draping around her, her hem an inch from the water's edge, her hair a halo around her moon-like face.

Then she sets it down between us.

"It's proof that is has become 'Moon Drop Essence.'"
    "So what exactly is 'moon drop Essence'?"
    She shrugs.
    "It's an old legend, so there's lots of ideas what to do with it... It can even grant wishes. My hope is that it's tasty."
    She muses, her voice jovial.
    "I don't think it's any good to see what can be done with it until we see if such a thing exists."

We look at the bottle -- it seems like an unlikely source of a wish, but...
    Why not? She draws at the spoon and swoops it around the bottle halfway, until it's closest to me own hand. Her eyes flash in the light when she looks up at me, like smoothly-rounded moonstones.

She wraps up my hand in hers, the cool handle of the spoon warming slowly to the combined heat of our fingers. Her hand is very warm, a warmth that spreads up my arm through her fingers, fitting seemlessly into the depressions between my knuckles. She smiles softly at me, her eyes gentle and curving into her smile.

We begin stirring, Elli directing the motion. Half the time, I lean towards her as she pulls my arm across the gap -- half the time she leans towards me, bringing her face near enough that I can't help but wonder...If maybe what I should do is lean across that gap, to that warm, extraordinary girl, and meet her in the middle.

With a playful smile, she changes up the pace -- here stirring slowly, almost folding the water, here moving it quickly and sticking to the edges, making little whirlpools, here whisking in sharp patterns...Each one throwing me a little off-guard, before falling into a more comfortable rhythm...Which, honestly, throws me more off-guard than most.
    I'm kind of ill-at-ease with being at ease. I mean, that sort of warm and fuzzy happiness is the sort of thing where a guy like me looks out of place, right?

And I look across, though, and I wonder if that's something that isn't as true as I think it is.
    In the sparkling light of the bottle of water, shining gold into the air, she shimmers, her hair and eyes both reminding me of one of her muffins, golden brown with a hint of honey gleaming on the edges...

Wait. Sparkling light of the...
    "Elli! Look at this! It actually worked!"
    I jump up and exclaim. The spoon clatters against the glass jar.

I wonder what she's wishing for. I don't make a wish, not exactly...But I want, right then, the universe to support the contents of that wish for me.

The water shines brighter and bubbles more....

And eventually becomes pure Moon Drop Essence. Elli beams.
    "What my grandma told me was right..."
    She blushes and pulls herself up and inward, shielding the tenderness in her voice with her amrs.

"The person...That you... That really..."
    She fumbles with her words, for a moment unable to look at me or at the bottle of moon water.

Then she opens again, like a flower, and looks at me with an honest and soft expression that melts me to my core.

"Aw, well, there's no need... I mean..." I shrug.
    "You're welcome."

She puts away the bottle into her basket, and then... In a moment that happens almost in the blink of an eye...

She comes over and kisses me. A little bit of me wants to laugh -- it's such a chaste, innocent kiss. Like a little girl...
    But at the same time, it's...Such a sincere kiss. Her breath smells like vanilla and cinnamon -- I wonder what she's spent her day on, throwing herself into it with that quiet passion? I feel like, with her face so close to mind, I could taste her day just by breathing. Her lips are warm and soft, and leave an imprint of their warmth radiating off my skin, into the cool night air.

I can't take that sincerity, that very real warmth coming off of her and into me. It's too much, like the taste of something much too sweet.

But at the same time, I can't fight it, or argue with it, or reject it. That sincerity, entering my life like a shooting star, plummeting into the world in an aura of heat strong enough to burn me.

As she pulls away, all this crowds into my head. The moment slows down, and I consider -- I consider pushing her away, because I do have other feelings to worry about, and I think of them as sincere...
    And I consider taking her into my arms and kissing her right then and there. Each of her footsteps, further and further away from me, picking up pace as she begins to realize that she just kissed me, and I didn't say anything...

I have to stop her. I have to say something.
    "...I'll walk you home."
    Is what I say. It's dumb, but it's what I can manage...But I think I need to do better than that, one of these days.

Our talk goes back to normal, light-hearted chatter, as we walk in the dark... But somewhere in there, I lower my hand...And she lowers hers...
    And we hold hands again in the dark, sincere as children, until it's time to say goodnight.

Typo Report
    Spoiler
    Show

So far, these photo events have been 2/3 for typos.

Oh, that "Wit" shown in the chapter for a "with"? That's not a typo. That particular bit of text and the ones around it scroll semi-automatically, with stopping points in bizzare places (it's also another one where a character changes her portrait mid-scroll for the first box, which is just sort of annoying in LPing, but rather charming in the actiual game), so that was my effort to find a good stopping point...Just one that was taken before the final H in With appeared.

With this, we have successfully gotten all the events besides the girl + girl and girl + rival events (which tend to be seasonal and/or affection-based) for three girls. Three girls which are, to my recollection, the front-runners of my initial "so what do you guys think?"

In other words, it's time to start narrowing the field. I'm not asking you to pick who we're marrying yet -- after all, one of the two remaining girls may pull ahead at the last minute, and anyway, it's unfair to make that call regardless.

But...It may be time for Fox to start clearly defining some relationships as "Just friends," and we have enough knowledge to at least compare the three girls we've seen it all for.

He can change his mind later, if need be -- I won't make them irreparable as romances yet, and our timeline is giving us plenty of time to make any adjustments as need-be.

On a related note, there's a festival at the end of the next chapter, and we get to dance with someone! Pick a girl, any girl (Ann doesn't need the affection boost that much, if that's a concern of yours.)!

Ok, to summarize, two things to vote on:
    #1: Your favorite girl for Fox out of Elli, Maria, and Karen. The other two will be moved to being "just friends," with the winning girl still being in the major running for Fox's ladyfriend position from a narrative standpoint (the actual final vote will include all girls). This is Not, I repeat, Not, the vote for Wife, since we still don't have all the information yet.
    #2: Who should we dance with at the Harvest Festival? If you leave this blank, I'll assume it's the same as your first vote.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-12-19 at 06:37 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

4. - Top - End - #334
    Banned

*Sighs*

Alright this is going to be a bit bias.

1. Whenever I played friends of mineral town, I always married Elli, whenever I played 64, I always married Karen. I'd like to see Maria's wedding scene and all that. Plus your development for her has been great so far. She's my favourite. I want to see her scenes, and more of your great writing. So my vote is her.

2. Dance with Maria. I'll probably end up voting her for the wedding too, but so far, that's who I want the most from your writing.

Sorry, if this is a bit bias, but I've grown to like Maria over the LP.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Bias is OK. It is necessary to this voting endeavor. I mean, I am pretty sure the point of this vote is for me to start setting up the pieces so I can give people what they'd like.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

I am fairly certain that bias is the entire point of giving people a vote.

You are supposed to pick the thing you want.

>Srs face

1. Hmm...I suppose in the "vote for girlfriend" vote, I shall pick...Elli, because I feel like she has a lot of girlfriend power going right now.

2. For the dance, I would actually like you to mix it up, and dance with Ann instead, simply because I feel like she could use something cute and girly to do, and I think that would be quite adorable for Fox to consider doing for her.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

I wouldn't call it the "girlfriend" vote, just for clarity's sake, since I don't want Fox cheating on her with Popuri and Ann... But I think I am just being pedantic. You probably all get what I mean, right?
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-12-19 at 09:30 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

8. - Top - End - #338
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, I realize I'm a little late to comment, but I have been following this since the second or third update and I have been really enjoying this Let's Play. Especially the extra parts you throw in.

Anyways, for the vote, I guess I'll go with Maria for the first one and for the dance Popuri.
    Last edited by Dragoon; 2012-12-20 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Poor grammar and missing a couple of words
    Thank you to starwoof for the awesome Astrid avatar.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

As I've said before, I have a strong preference for Maria out of all the girls, so I'd say go to "just friends" with Elli and Karen. You have had Fox comment that he semiregularly goes to the library for lunch, so I think Maria would be the most logical girl to go with anyway. Besides, wasn't Maria the first girl that he got close with?

I don't remember who you've danced with yet. Ann seems a good partner, though, and I think it'll make her get a better relationship, too.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Dwarf in the Playground

Out of all the girls, I like Maria the most, so I'll vote for her for #1. As for the dance, I'll vote for Ann.

Loving this LP, by the way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by Keld Denar
    What can I say? When life gives you lemons, you BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH YOUR LAZER BEAMS!
    Avatar by the wonderful A Rainy Knight.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Firbolg in the Playground

You're really mean making us pick between these three right from the start :(

Honestly, Maria started out as a favorite for me, but she's slowly faded into the background. Right now for me it's really a toss up between Karen or Elli.

Right now I'm leaning towards Elli though, both because the last update really was great for her, and also because I kind of like the rival guy who is after Karen, and clearing the way for them seems better to me than sticking with Karen and leaving Elli to get with... I'm not even sure who the rival for her is. Creepy baker dude? Yeah. Go with Elli.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

It's the baker dude, yeah.

In fact, if I've never said it explicitly, here's the full rival list, with my opinions as a bonus (Don't worry too much about my feelings about the rival pairings, but if you're inclined to think about them, but don't know what to think...My stances may help):
    Maria x Harris (the Mailman. We haven't really scraped his surface yet. I like this pairing a good bit. It's really adorable. Harris is such a sweetie and a total bro.)
    Elli x Jeff (The baker guy. ...I've never cared for it, age differences aside, even.)
    Ann = Cliff (Guy with the bird. He's my childhood Harvest Moon crush, so I like having him around. I have mixed feelings on this pairing, but it's at least very interesting, and in the end, I've got a fondness for it.)
    Karen = Kai (Vineyard guy. I like this pairing a good bit, for reasons that probably have been shown in-LP.)
    Popuri = Grey (Ann's Brother. You know him. I find this pairing very, very cute. And Ann ships it, which adds the cute.)
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-12-20 at 12:11 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

13. - Top - End - #343

You probably have posted it before, I admit to having a horrible memory. Thank you for the full list though!

But yeah, out of that list, leaving creepy baker guy single sounds to me like the best solution to make everyone that matters happy (Sorry creepy baker dude, I don't like you and your vaguely pedophillic overtones). It also helps I like Elli more to begin with though.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Halfling in the Playground

Great update as always!

I usually go for Karen when I'm playing Back to Nature (on PSX), but I think I'll vote for Elli all the way! You've given her great characterization, and I'm pretty curious to see where this will be going...

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

The Elli+Jeff pairing would seem somewhat forced given what we've seen in the LP, but it will become far less so after some of the other scenes involving them appear.

Actually, that's really only not true for Karen+Kai, who seem reasonably matched by the actual game even without any of their shared scenes, and Maria+Harris, who aren't even with them (though their scenes, and personalities, suggest a low-key romance that wouldn't exactly be visible). If there weren't any Ann+Cliff, Popuri+Grey, or Elli+Jeff scenes, you'd probably be completely blindsided by them hooking up.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

As much as I hate abandoning Elli to creepy baker dude, Fox can't go after a girl just to save her from other suitors. She'll have to turn him down on her own.

I like the other girls, but Karen is still my number 1. Karen for both votes. Her dreams and Fox's background mesh well, and with the wine, she's building the same connection with the land he is. She can match him snark for snark, too - that's important.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Can I give half a vote for Maria and Elli each?

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, why not? It may play havoc on my votes in case of a tie, but sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    The Elli+Jeff pairing would seem somewhat forced given what we've seen in the LP, but it will become far less so after some of the other scenes involving them appear.

Actually, that's really only not true for Karen+Kai, who seem reasonably matched by the actual game even without any of their shared scenes, and Maria+Harris, who aren't even with them (though their scenes, and personalities, suggest a low-key romance that wouldn't exactly be visible). If there weren't any Ann+Cliff, Popuri+Grey, or Elli+Jeff scenes, you'd probably be completely blindsided by them hooking up.
    I'm not sure how true that is... For a start, every rival couple shares a location to which one half of the couple goes, if not to work, than on their off-days. For example, Cliff hangs out at the ranch sometimes, and so does Popuri. Harris spends his off-days at the library (Also, I dunno. That scene with Harris and Maria and the salesman is super sweet, so I'll disagree about it being forced even with). We can assume stuff happens off-screen during those times pretty easily; I think that's what the game is indicating, anyway.

Likewise, there is dialogue about other pairings: most of the guys, when you get them to high affection levels, will start sharing their girl troubles, usually at the bar, but sometimes elsewhere. For example, Cliff (who besides which, has a mutual love of animals) mentions that Ann stares at him when he goes there, and I've heard interpretations that Ann's "I'm bird watching, sort of" line refers to her watching for Cain, and therefore Cliff. And I intend to fill narrative gaps, of course.

Actually, now that I think about it, the most obviously-expressed rival couples involve characters that can leave the game forever. How odd.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-12-20 at 08:57 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that Karen seems to make the best match with our protagonist, so that's where my vote is going.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Vote all the way for Karen.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    I'm not sure how true that is... For a start, every rival couple shares a location to which one half of the couple goes, if not to work, than on their off-days. For example, Cliff hangs out at the ranch sometimes, and so does Popuri. Harris spends his off-days at the library (Also, I dunno. That scene with Harris and Maria and the salesman is super sweet, so I'll disagree about it being forced even with). We can assume stuff happens off-screen during those times pretty easily; I think that's what the game is indicating, anyway.
    True enough, but in that case, why not Popuri+Cliff instead of Popuri+Grey and Ann+Cliff, for instance? Popuri also spends quite a bit of time near the carpenter's shop as I recall, and Cliff sort of lives out there, so we could use much of the same evidence to support that pair.

Likewise, there is dialogue about other pairings: most of the guys, when you get them to high affection levels, will start sharing their girl troubles, usually at the bar, but sometimes elsewhere. For example, Cliff (who besides which, has a mutual love of animals) mentions that Ann stares at him when he goes there, and I've heard interpretations that Ann's "I'm bird watching, sort of" line refers to her watching for Cain, and therefore Cliff. And I intend to fill narrative gaps, of course.
    There's dialogue that mentions other characters from most everybody, though, and as I recall nobody except Kai explicitly says who it is they're interested in, so you could fairly easily mistake that for something else, or just being generically troubled.

Actually, now that I think about it, the most obviously-expressed rival couples involve characters that can leave the game forever. How odd.
    My guess is that the intent is to make it more obvious what you have to do to make them not leave during your second playthrough.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

True enough, but in that case, why not Popuri+Cliff instead of Popuri+Grey and Ann+Cliff, for instance? Popuri also spends quite a bit of time near the carpenter's shop as I recall, and Cliff sort of lives out there, so we could use much of the same evidence to support that pair.
    Because of all the other evidence for AnnxCliff. Yes, Location itself isn't a big enough thing to really base anything on -- but it is a thing to bolster the displayed argument the game presents for the rival couple, a clue to the mystery of how these pairings connect.

I'm not arguing that any of these ships are perfect; only that, given the limited resources available (which is to say, very limited), I don't find them all that forced or sudden, particularly in light of other Harvest Moon games, where there's often literally *nothing* except rival scenes. At least these guys give you indications that they are in love with someone, even if the clues for who goes with who are subtle outside of scenes.

There's dialogue that mentions other characters from most everybody, though, and as I recall nobody except Kai explicitly says who it is they're interested in, so you could fairly easily mistake that for something else, or just being generically troubled.
    We'll have to see about this; I don't recall specifics, but I get the impression Harris mentions Maria by name as the source of his woes -- and I might be proven wrong, or we may never know... and Jeff is concerned about how to handle you and Elli. Grey may or may not mention Popsi specifically, but it's not just generic troubles -- I specifically remember him wondering about a blue feather...

Cliff, I do admit, is kind of just a big rolling ball of troubles, with or without Ann. You got me there.

My guess is that the intent is to make it more obvious what you have to do to make them not leave during your second playthrough.
    Mmmmaybe? I mean, Cliff's got a couple of departure conditions, the most likely "first playthrough" one having nothing to do with Ann, so I'm not sure about that.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-12-20 at 03:45 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

23. - Top - End - #353

Wow, tough decision. Well, if Maria x Harris is an actual pairing you can set up, and not just a potential conflict if you pursue her yourself, then that's far too adorable for us to interfere. That leaves Elli and Karen. I so want to vote for Elli after that last update, but I am ultimately forced to concede that Karen is the better match. She and Fox complement each other perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

I'm voting for Maria because there has been a sad lack of librarian girl who is my fav anyways. And yes that's a vote for both dance and the first thing.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

I've not yet started the chapter, so there's still time for a vote or a vote switch. All ashore that's going ashore!

Here's how my last count turned out, if I missed something, let me know:
    Maria: 5.5
    Elli: 4.5
    Karen: 4

...Hey, can I be allowed a vote?
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-12-23 at 08:02 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course, it's your LP after all.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm considering switching my vote from .5 Elli, .5 Maria to all Elli, that way my two favorite girls will be tied for first. *Trows head back and laugh" Muahaha! (but I won't because I'm not that much of a jerk).

28. - Top - End - #358
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can have two!

Especially if they're both for Karen and pull her into the lead.

29. - Top - End - #359

I was considering switching my vote from Elli to Karen, but apparently Karen's in last so that wouldn't affect anything.

Honestly, Maria is just the one of the three I'm least interested in, but looks like I'm going to lose out on that one :(

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll vote for Karen.