New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

Harris' art makes him look weirdly out of place. He's Postman Pat dropped in with a bunch of chibis.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

This is probably why this is the only game in which Harris is considered marriagable by somebody, since they never really redesign him to look slightly more in-step with others.

Being a 64!Harris fan, this personally makes me sad, and can be added to the list of reasons I dislike the changes made for the Mineral Town/BTN/Ect versions. I've never fully listed them out, one by one, but I am thinking it is pretty long.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 28: Rainy Days are Here Again
    Spoiler
    Show

Fall-16-xxx1

You know, it's a week from my birthday. If anyone who reads my diary is thinking of getting me something.

And it'll be a rainy day tommorow, but that's way less important.

OK, so a moment of schedule notes, since it's been a while.
    Step 1: Water Crops. Today, there's nothing to harvest, but with the golden can, it goes by quickly.

Step 2 (Midmorning to Noon-ish):
    Go to the mountain, talk to the people there.
    Today, that means Kent.

"I feel like I lost something."
    "Yeah, there's something a little gloomy to fall. The dying light, the chill..."
    He looks a little dejected when I say that. Wrong form of sympathy, I guess.
    "Well, don't worry. Summer'll be around again before you know it."
    "Yeah, I hope so. The rain's taking my other day off tommorrow! At least summer's dry!"
    Except for typhoons. But yeah.

And I collect some herbs for the Potion Master, while I'm in the area.

And I find Popuri in her favorite spot to break my neck with.

"...Yeah, I could see that. I mean, winter, you just start chanting 'it'll be spring soon,' but you can't say that in fall."
    She nods.
    "Yeah. My mom's loneliest in fall, too, so I can't even go home for a good feeling. In the winter, we've settled back down, and the snowflakes look like little white petals..."
    A wistful sigh escapes her.
    "Everything ties together in fall, because everything goes away at once."
    That's...Not something I know how to relate to, exactly. My father's always the exact same level of overbearing and detached. Once something's gone for me, it's gone forever. But Popuri...She lives on a tide of green, the way a sailor's daughter lives with the oceans.
    Still, when she looks wistful and sad like this...I'm reminded that while she's young, she's not a girl. She looks like a pretty woman, a poppy with a bowed head, full of the rattling of seeds like ideas.
    It makes her, and her cheerfulness the rest of the time, heart-thumpingly beautiful.

"Well...I guess if things get lonely around you, it's up to you to hold together?" I offered. "I'm sure you can do it."
    She beamed.
    "That's right! I'm going to have to try harder for a while...But, you know, since you came...It's not as much work to be cheerful as it was last year <3."

I return to my schedule, and to today's formatting!

Step 3 (Noon-Ish): Go to Town!
    Elli wouldn't be at the bakery today, so...Lunch at the library...

And meeting with Rick, why not? It's been a while.
    "Is any season not a good season for thinking?"
    "Well, now that you mention it...No, but!"
    He raised a finger.
    "The crisp air, the crisp leaves...The smell of smoke from somewhere other than the workshop... I just get inspired!"
    "Then I'll have to stop by, see what you're working on."
    He nods cheerfully.
    "I think it's closed today, but you should also check out the shop next door; it's an odd little place, but I kind of admire Saibara."
    "Why?"
    "He only sells what he feels like making; I sell whatever I can, to make up for gaps between inventions...Ah, but I guess you should go see."
    I nod; I guess I'll do that.

Step 4 (Early Afternoon): Visit the Ranch.
    Nothing to report there today.

Step 5 (Mid-to-Late Afternoon): Take Care of Animals, Finish Chores.
    Today, that last step is just a matter of tending to the animals. Oh, wait...
    I also need to bring them in.

Clara's right by the entrance, so I get her in quickly, while I can

I forget when the animals eat, so I feed her, too.

Ditto the chickens. I may want to start thinking about how I'll manage winter feed.

I need to ring the bell for Lambo about 50 times, maybe. It drives me mad.

Zack comes to pick up the shipments midway, so that also means it's time to check funds.

Not bad! I've got enough to impregnate Clara if I wanted to, or to buy a chest of drawers or a rug or something from Rick...
    On top of greenhouse money, of course.

Step 6 (Night): Decide a way to spend the evenings.

Since I can't work tommorow due to rain, I decide to till the soil a bit.
    And that's my day in less than 7 steps!

Fall-17-xx1

Nothing like picking eggplants in the freezing rain...Well, you know, except for living tied to the belly of a wet yak.

On a day like today, I'm surprised I even bother getting out of bed. It's cold, it's wet, no one's wandering the mountain... It's just miserable.

To escape, I check out that shop Rick reccomended.
    It's warm, anyway. I guess that's a kiln or something back there... Still, the atmosphere's kind of cramped and opressive. No one comes in here, I guess.

The old man gives me the eyeball. Or, to be more accurate, the eyebrow. They're pretty huge.
    "Hello, Sir. I'm Fox."

"...Souvenirs?"
    "I guess you could call them 'knicknacks.' Little sculptures, musical instruments... Little things."
    "...Is there much market for souvenirs out here?"
    He gives me another look. A sort of 'shut your mouth, fool boy' look.
    "What does it matter? I don't make it for a market."
    "...I see." I guess he's a starving-artist type...

Well, let's look at his stock.

"Then why is it...?"
    "So I can figure it out!"
    I guess I don't get artists.

"What do you think?"
    "...I'll think about it. I don't like to rush when I shop."
    He nods, because I guess that's an acceptable answer.
    "Some of the festivals here involve music; you may want an ocarina then."

I nod and head off to the library.
    May and Harris are there; May's got that grave look common to kids her age when they're thinking.
    "What is it, May?"
    "...I was thinking...About the kitties."

"I know I get cold when it rains. Why don't you go bring them in and snuggle up with them; that'll keep you both warm."
    She gives me a big smile and nods.

Anyway, on with my day, ducking into the Green Ranch's store to get some water out of my boots... (How much water can they store? The answer is 'a lot.')

"Ann is sick in bed. And it's not because of overeating or anything."
    Why would I think it was?
    "She has a bad cold."

"Sure, I guess."
    This seems to happen a lot out here.

Ann in something other than over-alls. What is this, I don't even.
    "Why are you staring at my chest?"
    No sense lying, with Ann.
    "...I just don't think I've seen you in just a shirt before."

Her room has a warm look, but it's also kind of...You know, it's almost what I would have expected. Something about the color and atmosphere feels very cozy and a little beat-up. It's not an overtly girly room...
    But there's a touch of something feminine. It's exactly Ann's room.
    "So, why'd you come all the way out here in this weather?"

If I said yes, I think...Just from the way she's bracing herself up on her pillow... She'd go running out there in a heartbeat.
    I laugh off the sudden rush of tender feelings that inspires in my head.

"No, nothing like that; don't worry. I came by because I wanted to see you...And when your dad said you were sick, I got a little worried. I mean, I couldn't even imagine you getting sick before now!"
    She laughs, too; it gets interrupted by a cough midway, though. We wait for it to subside. Ann's face looks shy and apologetic, but I just give her a relaxed smile. It's dumb to apolgize for getting sick.

"It must be the work of my parents. Dad said Mom was healthy as a horse, too!"
    "...Then how...?"
    She looks aside.
    "...An accident. Hey, though, don't go making sad faces! You're no better off!"
    That's true I guess... I don't think of Ann as pitiful or unhappy. That's just...Antithetical to Ann.
    "Whose face is sad, huh?"
    If it's lonely sometimes, after something like that, well... Ann's the sort of person who'd yell at loneliness until it cowered in a corner. In that way...We're not very much alike.
    It's admirable; I just sort of shoved it all back somewhere where I don't have to see it. Like putting a picture of your ex girlfriend in the back of your closet, instead of throwing it out or keeping it...
    That sort of thinking makes me want to move around.

"You mind if I have a look around?"
    "Well... I guess so. Just as long as you don't mess around too much."
    She looks almost immediately like she regrets that choice.
    Still, no take-backs! It's not like I'd really poke around her things.

she collected them from our beach, I guess. I look at it; it's just a little collection of shells, but some of these are very nice.

"I won't, I won't!"
    "Good. H-hey...What's in here...You won't tell anyone, right? I mean, if there's something that seems private and..." She blushes and trails off.
    "I won't tell, I promise."
    She looks both ways, nervously.
    "Don't you trust me?"

There's a moment of silence. A long moment, with Ann's warm, flustered face watching me. Her eyes are big and glowing in the firelight.
    In that time, she doesn't say anything, and I pace the room a bit.

"...I trust you."
    I turn my head.
    "What?"
    "I said I trust you, ok? You're..." She fumbles about for words. "You're a special person. I mean, special like...Not special like 'special,' but special like...Like irreplacable, or something."
    She flusters about.
    "...You, too, Ann." Wasn't I just thinking that? Still, this only makes it harder for me to hold back. "You're..." What crazy words are about to spill out of my mouth? My nuetrality is threatened! How does Switzerland do this? "You're someone I only found here, and...Could never replace."
    Nice save, mouth.

"Aww, that's cute. Where'd he get it?"
    "The races. They're a prize for medals, and our family's got an eye for racehorses. It was a breeze earning enough!"

And on the table.

So I took up knitting as a hobby. On days like this...I knit."
    I turn and look up at the thing hanging on the wall -- a throw blanket? What do you call a knit tapestry?
    I point at it.
    "Did you... Make that?"
    "Yup. It was a lot of winter nights. I'm not completely undomestic."
    I whistle.
    "Clearly not. I don't think I could ever make anything like this. It's really cool, Ann."
    She smiles and fidgets with the outer edge of her blanket.
    "I could make you something, if you like... Like socks or...Something. A scarf..."

I nearly jump back, I'm so caught off-guard.
    I get the impression that, even if she makes an offer like this a lot...This one means something. Unless I'm just projecting; it means something to me. I mean, something like that would be a lot of trouble... I don't think anyone's gone through that much effort for me before. Or even offered.

Still, if Ann's offering, then I'm sure she means it. It's easy for her to pull back without meaning it, but to press forward? That's that 100% sincerity she's good at.

"I'd really like that, Ann."
    She smiles with a sudden new energy.
    "Get moving then! I've got work to do!"
    As I head out, she calls out,

After that, I do my chores and head out to the beach to fish. I don't have any luck, though; sometimes, I just can't manage the dang exact timing.

Well, my failure and I can go by another day.

Fall-18-xxx1

The best part of waking up is eggplants in your cup on your plants. Gee, thank you, commercial life.
    Anyway, harvesting makes it hard to water and still have time, so I'll have to come back for that this evening. This handily erases the part where I make decisions.

On the mountain, I find Elli and Maria, taking their days off from their respective closed places of business. They were having good days off, it seems.

In town, I go visit Rick, since it's been a while.
    "How's the inventing business?"
    He shakes his head.

"Well, it's all about perspiration, right?"
    He nods.
    "Still...I'd like my work to be the big draw of the shop. But it never turns out that way. And I have to sell just odds and ends."
    "Like that wierd feather?"
    "Wierd?"
    I approach it and point it out.
    "Oh, that blue feather...That's for if you have a girl you want to propose to; that's what a blue feather means around here."
    "It's an engagement feather?"
    Who proposes with a feather?
    Still, he nods.
    "A feather like that...Is said to have come from the blue bird of happiness. That's why it's a proposal custom. Rings are flashier, huh?"
    I nod. That sort of commitment...Is way beyond me. I can't even pick a girl to date!
    Besides, what good is settling down? My life's going to be every-which way, sooner or later...
    Bah.

I also stop by the potion shop, because why not?
    "Did you actually put any of that stuff I gave you to use?"
    He pauses for a moment and nods. He's giving me an odd look.
    "...What?"

"When I saw you come in, I kind of thought I was dreaming of a bygone time."
    "...We really look that much alike?"
    He nods.
    "The spitting image...More like him than your father, I think...Or maybe that's something that happened recently; I don't recall thinking it when we first met."
    He admitted. It seemed like an odd thing to say...So I didn't really know how to reply.

I went home...

And went through all the bother of pushing the animals outside. One of these days, I'll just leave the chickens indoors or something...
    But that does remind me...About feed.

I water my crops, and to pick a task...

"I guess I'll make some fodder."
    I mean, the cows and sheep eat stuff that just looks like cut and dried grass.... Mine should do, right?
    I get out my sickle...

And get to work. It's hard going; I didn't expect it to be this hard to organize all the grass as it falls... And then there's the matter of the animals moving about. But it's easier to save if they're eating, so...
    A lot of the pasture will have to be outside the enclosure, one of these days. In the spring or summer, I'll re-plant...
    But in the meanwhile, I'll just cut two, and Lambo and Clara can have the rest.

Yeah, this is...A lot of work. I'm feeling bad, so I'll head to bed, I think.

So, a vote! I meant to do this last time, but forgot. We've got enough money for the greenhouse, and can now buy more stuff!
    #1: A New cow! It comes in as a calf.
    #2: Impregnating our cow. This is cheaper, but results in a much longer period before we get an adult cow, since the calf has to be born, to become a calf, and then become an adult cow.
    #3: A New Sheep (I don't really reccomend, but whatever)
    #4: Furniture like the rug and/or the cabinet from Rick to store things other than what the fridge can store.

We have a sort of event coming up in the near future: we can do work on a project for a certain number of days, but it will take us most of the day, lasting until 5:00 PM. While we definitely want to work on the last day, the number of days changes what we get. Each day gives us a good bit of funds... And for 4 of the 5 days (it's a little glitchy) we get a boost with all of the villagers. For 5 of 5 days, we get a higher affection boost with the carpenters. At least, that's what I've read exactly. How many days should we work?

Oh, and any suggestions for an evening activity?
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-01-27 at 03:37 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

There are 2 events that you work, right? The second one is the one that permanently destroys some of the stumps IIRC, so on the days you work you should chop wood during the evenings. It's harder to get wood after that. I'd say work all 5 days, though you might need to make yourself have fewer morning chores.

You have the money for another cow and another sheep! Buy one of each! It'll cut into your funds for a while, but you should have enough cash for the greenhouse again by the time you gather enough wood.

The cabinet is kind of useless unless you marry Popuri and need to store flowers for gifts... Get it later, and only for completion's sake.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    There are 2 events that you work, right? The second one is the one that permanently destroys some of the stumps IIRC, so on the days you work you should chop wood during the evenings. It's harder to get wood after that. I'd say work all 5 days, though you might need to make yourself have fewer morning chores.
    You forget the magic of The Dog Race, where you can exchange medals (of which we have a lot) for 500 lumber. We can, even before the fall horse and dog race's winnings, afford 1000 lumber. It's why I'm not in any rush to get lumber; we can get a lot of it for very little work, enough to pretty much last us the rest of the game.

...However, if you guys are interested in us getting the Greenhouse faster than mid/late Winter, we can work on lumber more in the evenings.

But yeah, there are two events.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-01-27 at 03:40 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Question: How long does it take for a calf to be born? And how long does it take for a calf to grow into a cow?

Now, how much does a full bucket of milk from a cow make in a day?

I am doing MATH for you. I shall find out what is most efficient!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

To be born, it takes about 21 days, according to my sources. From there, it's a newborn for about 14 days (all these numbers are a range, so it's sort of 13-14), and a calf for an additional 20-21 days.
    A calf we buy from the store becomes an adult after 20-21 days.
    Small milk is woth 100, medium milk 150, Large 300. Exactly how long it takes to reach that point depends on how much time the cow spends outside as an adult, pretty much, since I'd be feeding it, brushing it, and talking to it every day all the same, so that's not the deciding factor in the pace. A fall/winter raised cow will change milk sizes much slower, is what I am saying.

However, having a second cow grow up during winter would be handy, since until we get the greenhouse going, and depending on how much time we spend in the mines that open during winter, we may not have much in terms of income.

Of course, there's nothing stopping us from doing both, since I think animal births give Fox a nice boost to his happiness score, though... I highly doubt we'll have any trouble with that.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-01-27 at 04:18 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm...what if we divide our resources? I sorta like the idea of getting Clara pregnant, and also buying a second sheep. That way, we'll have more wool for the winter, and more cow milk at a reduced cost afterwards.

Though, if we can afford it, buying a calf is the clear winner in terms of fastest return on investment. Assuming the cost difference between impregnating Clara and buying a calf is no greater than 1,000g, it'd make back the cost in less than ten days, though the happiness factor is also something to consider that I hadn't yet thought of. And I doubt the difference is that low.

Assuming happiness value isn't as important, and no milk production growth at all, your store-bought calf would have about a 35 day head start on the born cow, which means 3,500g you wouldn't have otherwise. That, assuming all other values are equal, is the base difference in cost-value for your cow purchasing concerns.

Now, more immediately, if you DO buy a calf, you'd have to worry about being able to afford your Greenhouse on time if you make any purchases beyond that. Not to mention the aforementioned happiness value loss. And there's another happiness value loss you need to take into account.

That being we'd find a newborn cow very adorable.

Soooo, there's my figures at least. Do with them as you will. My vote shall be...

Get Clara preggers, and buy a greenhouse.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, the work we'll be doing later in the month will cover the cost of a calf, pretty much; when I was a kid, this was the source of my first cow every game (spoiler alert: young Deme was bad at this game. Actually, the first time she played, young Deme failed the evaluation.) And we've got additional funds saved up beyond our 30k for a Greenhouse. Calf, Impregnation, Sheep, and Greenhouse feel like they'd all be pretty viable by the end of the month, money-wise. It's just a matter of which priority.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-01-27 at 09:16 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

10. - Top - End - #400

Well you mention that winter-born cows grow slower, or something along those lines, what if you got a new cow now, and impregnated one towards the end of winter timed to be born early spring? Would that be worth it at all?
    Last edited by Seerow; 2013-01-27 at 09:20 PM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

It's not that they grow slower; its that, because they're inside all the time in winter, they don't gain as much affection, so their milk quality goes up more slowly. Basically, being outside makes them "happy," like Clara is currently. When they're happy, they basically gain double affection, and gain bonuses just for becoming happy. This makes their milk level up more quickly, which would change the value of the days of adulthood a store-bought calf has over a home-grown calf. That's mainly what I was trying to say.

The time it takes them to start producing milk is the same, and the timing differences applies only to adult cows. Anyway, as far as timing goes, now's a good enough time to impregnate a cow as any, I suppose. When they're a calf, whether the animal is inside or outside doesn't matter that much.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

12. - Top - End - #402

You're writing an LP about a city boy who moves to the country and learns all about integrity and hard work, and you're honestly considering having him buy a calf from the store, when there's perfectly fertile heifer right there?!

So, yeah, my vote is "Screw efficiency; I wanna see Fox's reaction to a live birth!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

buy a rug. Those floors look cold in winter.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

Bonus Chapter #2: Sick Days

Spoiler
    Show

???-???-xxx1

Ughhh....
    Unnn...

I feel terrible. No, I feel beyond terrible. I try to focus on the ceiling, and the lines of the roof spiral in and out of focus.
    I am pretty sure the dog isn't supposed to talk, either. But I am pretty sure he's mumbling. What's he mumbling about?

I try and sit up...
    But the fact of the matter is, I'm out like a light. I can't even lift myself up onto my elbows, and instead fall back into a deep and fever-dreamed sleep.

I hear a lot of sounds, but the next one that I think could reasonably be happening in the real worldis the sound of the door opening. Footsteps. It fades into dreams again...

There's something cool on my forehead. When I open my eyes to see what's happening, a hand pulls away from my face.

Elli's shape emerges at the side of my bed. She's carrying something in her other hand...a thermos, maybe? She smiles when she sees that I'm up, and I smile back as best I can manage. Smiling hurts my head.

"As soon as you feel sick."

"It's very good for colds."

She hands me a cup of the soup, and helps me sit up. She's not really shy about it, like you might expect.
    I take a few sips and nod. It's a warm, hearty soup. Exactly what you'd expect from a girl like Elli, seemlessly combinining caretaking and cooking. Then again, her cooking...always makes you feel cared for.

I finish the soup.

Goodnight, Elli...

???-???-XXX1, Take Two

Still sick. I sleep poorly through the night. Except for the few hours after Elli's soup, I can't even see straight half the time. I really just kind of give up moving and huddle into my blankets.
    There's several minutes that felt like hours where the wood in the walls was winking at me. Wood does not wink, Fox.

And at some point...

Ann comes barging in.

...When did she see me earlier? Did Elli tell her? Was I asleep?
    Wait, what is she about to feed me? Help.

When I caught a cold."

This is pretty good, actually. It's more of a stew-type thing...I'm really surprised she managed this. Like, in a good way.

???-???-xxx1, Take Three

Space is warped and time is bendable. Where is self? El. Psy. Congroo. It's an infinity loop!
    That's the sort of stuff I find myself thinking about as I huddle in a ball. In other words, no real change. I think I maybe got to the kitchen and had some water and something from the fridge...maybe.

Like before, after a certain while, someone appears. Kind of confidently at first, but more and more hesitant as she approaches.

"...Yeah...It kinda was..."

I sit up to drink her wine. The warmth of it fills me up; it reminds me of a warm tea, but it's got the sort of sleepy effect of just a bit of alcohal.
    After that, I try curling up again.

Glad you think so, Karen.
    I do feel like I can sleep soundly for a while, anyway...

???-???-xxx1, Take Four

I think I might die. That's it. End of LP....Wait, what? What am I talking about?
    Friends don't let friends monologue sick.

Hesitant footsteps, light as a breeze.
    "Fox?"
    She whispers. I make a noise that I was sort of hoping would come out like speech. It doesn't.

"And this is medicine from the Potion Shop."
    Oh, thank goodness. I mean, I don't know how much good medicine will do me... But it can't hurt, right?

It's a tasty soup, with some seafood in it. The medicine's bitter, but... Medicine's supposed to be bitter. I'm glad Maria had the foresight to get me some.

As I settle back in, she smiles gently.

???-???-xxx1, Take Five!

Harvest Goddess, why have you forsaken me? I thought we were good! I thought we were bros! And now you plague me?
    This is the last time I worship random women in ponds, I will tell you what. You didn't even give me a sword, and you expect me to be king... If watery tarts chucking swords at you is no basis for government, then what about watery tarts *not* throwing swords at you?

Today, someone comes peeking in, but I fall back asleep before I can hear who... And somewhere the in the depths of my fever, I think...I hear humming...
    I open my eyes and see Popuri playing with Agros. She comes up to stand by the bed when I move.

"You musn't overwork."

"...This?" I croak. My throat sounds like I've been guzzling sandpaper and maple syrup.

"I've also got some herbs with the tea, too. Eat them, if you can."
    Bitter as the medicine from before... But like I said, I guess that's natural.

...You know...
    It just sort of hit me...

I'm not alone.
    When I'm sick or tired or sad...There's someone there, now...
    Such a warm and comforting thought rocks me into a comfy sleep. I think I'll feel better soon.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

15. - Top - End - #405

Popouri: Your body is your most valuable asset

I almost died laughing.

Also I like how all the girls just let themselves in when there's no answer at the door. Consider how little time you actually spend in your house, and you have to wonder just how often they let themselves in and poke around your house.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

And keep in mind that Fox keeps a diary. We know this, because he has to in order to save his game.

At least when you barge in and look around at all the stuff in their house, they're there for it and able to supervise your snooping!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Also I like how all the girls just let themselves in when there's no answer at the door. Consider how little time you actually spend in your house, and you have to wonder just how often they let themselves in and poke around your house.
    Video game protagonists do that all the time. Why wouldn't the NPCs do it too?

18. - Top - End - #408
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, definitely liked the update and the bonus, have to agree about Popuri's line being the best part. Though I wonder if any of them found the diary while letting themselves in.

Anyways, vote impregnate the cow and buy the greenhouse.
    Thank you to starwoof for the awesome Astrid avatar.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for a short chapter; I was going to add a fourth day, but then got kinda sick.

Chapter 29: Happy Easter?
    Spoiler
    Show

Fall-19-xxx1

It's a lovely autumn morning. The air is crisp, the few birds that haven't gone South yet are chirping...

The mayor is crying out to me on my lawn...Is it time for another festival?

Why don't you ever come see me socially, Mayor Thomas? You only come visit when you want me to participate in...things.
    "In the village tommorow. Please join us."

Like...a sports meet? What, are we going to balance eggs on a spoon as we run? Is that even a sport?

"It's a nice break from just running around all the time, so I'll go."
    "Excellent! I'm glad you attend...It seems to drive up the participation of the other young people."
    "Really?"
    "Well, maybe it's just because having more people their own age is more energizing."

I go into the mountain, which is painfully empty today. No one's there but the carpenters...
    The town's at least a little livelier. I run into Harris.
    "I heard the Festival's...."

"I don't normally attend them, but it's been fun this year."
    Is that what the mayor means?

Memories? More like dreams...Still, there's a nostalgic value here.
    It's not like this place is my hometown, exactly...

"Why's that?"
    "...It's a long story. I may need to tell you about it some other time."
    I shrug.
    "Sure, OK."
    Most of the time, I don't even have to ask...It's rare, seeing someone not volunteer that stuff.

Anyway, I buy a cake to go....But...My backpack's full. So I guess I'll carry it until I have other room. Maybe I'll go see that old artisan next...
    That's what I think, but it's hard to open a door with your hands full of cake. As I stumble with the door...It slips out, ramming against the unforgiving wood.

Within seconds, the cake is beyond repair, before I can even think of it.
    There it goes. Goodbye, tasty cake. Goodnight, sweet prince, and may a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest.

As I weep for my loss, I figure...Maybe I'll soften up the old man with a present.

"Glad to be of service. That's from my farm...But I always carry a couple of spares." I take a bit of pride in saying that.

...Everyone says that. I'm doing fine, right?

Speaking of old men, I also go to the potion shop. It'd be nice to have medicine, right?
    And, to clear out my rucksack a bit, I'll pass him an herb. Maybe it'll be useful.

And get me a recipe? Excellent!
    "They're good for the body, too."

Hmmm....I do like some miso soup, but that's a little hard to get ingredients for out here.

Now, since I've got all that money saved up... I thought I might do some better investments with it.

"It's Miracle Potion. Use it on adult cows to get calves. Pregnant cows give less milk."

...I'm... A little dubious about this, to be honest. I mean...Do I want to know what's in this stuff?...Can I handle this?
    No, no doubts. Push ahead!

When I return home, still apprehensive about the prospect of knocking up Clara...

Something else seems to have happened. The boys are on my lawn.
    "What is it, you guys?"

"Really?"
    Puppies!
    "I'm sure Link is the father! Come take a look!"
    Wait, Link lives indoors most of the time. How...
    Oh, screw it. Puppies!

I'm sorry, I'm being a broken record. However...
    Just to be clear about this...
    I get to see puppies, and this is short-circuiting all higher brain functions.
    "That's great! And she's holding up OK?"
    "She's a good momma."

They rush me back to the shop, where they've brought the dog inside to have her puppies.

We all speak in hushed voices.
    The puppies are nuzzled tight against their mother, nursing eagerly. They seem like strong little bundles of sandy-colored fur. They look so frail and yet so cuddly, like little living puff-pillows. I can see what they mean; they look a lot like Link.

"Otherwise, Taro will get upset."
    The kids are beaming, and I'm feeling not much older than a kid myself.
    "I can't wait to play with 'em!"

Stu looks like he's about ready to jump between them to shield it. He's taking worrying over Taro really seriously...

I watch them for a little while, and head home to tend to my little animals.
    ...Where my full backpack strikes again.

"Malice! Get out of the way, Malice! You jeeeerk!"
    Malice the chicken turns and glares at me. Trapped in a chicken cage -- by which I mean a cage made of chickens. Was this my destiny?

I look around desperately. I call Agros, hoping he'll save me. I stare at Malice, who stares at me.
    DARNIT!

I eat an herb to make room in my hands, so I can just move a chicken and escape.
    "Suck it, Malice!"

And that's the story of my duel with the chickens.

Then I go inside to get the 'Miracle Potion'...And notice Link looking full of himself.

"Link, you ol' dog...Do I need to get a puppy a cigar?" Note to the ASPCA and members of PETA: I do not really mean to give my dog a cigar, this is called humor. I am aware PETA may not be sane enough to tell the difference, so I thought I'd cut you off at the pass.
    "I guess where there's love, or at least lady dogs in heat, there's a way."

I give him an affectionate pat on the head, grab the Miracle Potion, and head outside.

...Here goes.

Clara doesn't seem to mind, and it doesn't look or seem like...What you'd expect. I really have no idea about how this worked. I took a few horticultural classes in college... But it's not like I was a 4H kid or anything...
    She seems happy enough, so maybe it worked?

Since I've got the money for the greenhouse, I should work on getting the lumber, too.

I go out late and log. Not a bad way to spend the evening.

And when I got home, I gave Link a little extra treat, to celebrate the birth of his puppies.

Fall-20-xxx1

A festival day has a different feeling in the morning: I've got to do everything at once, so it can be kind of overwhelming. Especially on a day like today, when I've got 4 freaking plots of eggplants, too...
    Why did my brillaint plans fail? Why?

Speaking of brillaint plans...

That's the feeling that I get when I see Clara. I'm not sure I can describe it...I just get a feeling. You know how people talk about pregnant women 'glowing'? I guess you can sort of see it in her standard happy cow-face... But more than that, when I touch her side...I just sort of feel like my hand's glowing. Like touching a lightbulb, without the burn. Well, she seems happy enough.

Maybe cows are just wierd.

But I can see what Mr. Green meant about a pregnant cow giving less milk...Good thing I'm not very anxious about money right now.
    I worry about winter coming, I guess; hopefully, I'll be able to manage the greenhouse before the money gets too tight.

Anyway, animals tended, crops picked and watered....
    Let's head to that there festival!

It actually looks like a decent crowd today.
    "Let me explain the rules. Quickly find and bring back..."

"To win!"
    So it's not like a sport's meet at all; it's an egg hunt. Isn't that normally a spring holiday?

People I expected to see at the egg hunt, part 1: Not-Grey.

"Sorry to hear it."
    "...In the water, it's fine...But racing around on land is..."
    He muttered to himself, heedless of things like sympathy.

Part 2:

Totally Kent and Stu. This sort of thing's for kids, after all.

I don't know how to ask it, but Harris treats it as unusual he's here:

"I haven't attended in other years this town's been on my route... But it's nice to be asked."
    He asks everyone, Harris.

"Yeah, kind of does."
    It's a little annoying sometimes... But it's also really nice.

"Is it really that hard?"
    "It wears me out."

"It?"
    "My egg detector."
    "...You invented a device to help you win a child's egg hunt."
    "Around here, that's serious business."
    I demand a manga based off of it. Maybe it can eventually involve children's egg hunts on motorcycles.

Part 3: Not-Karen.

"I only came because...Everyone else was coming."
    "Best of luck."

And Maria, I expected: her dad runs it all, after all.
    "I'm going to try my best this year...I-I'll try to be a more assertive hunter, too."

...That's kinda sad. But I guess it doesn't matter if you win, right?

"You, too."

part 4: Elli.
    But it seems like she's not here...

"Let's rock."

Ok, yellow egg, yellow egg... Everyone splits up and starts checking. The eggs are hidden in those big brick boxes, maybe? Or are there additional places?

Maybe those are just red herrings?
    In spite of myself, I fling myself into running around. My father wouldn't even accept a poor showing in gym...And I've been running a lot the past few months.

The trick isn't finding where the eggs are hidden, I guess, but finding the right egg.
    I go and check nearly every box in town before...

Found it! I guess no one would think to go all the way back here...

I race back with it, intent on not dropping it.

Round 1 goes to Fox!

Alright, if I remember right, the blue was...By Saibarah's place?

Except it's not.
    "What the heck?! They shuffle!?"
    I think I hear someone laughing. I guess they were all expecting it.

I run around about the same route as before....
    I find this one in front of the flower shop.

Victory, round 2!

...I'm a little ashamed how into it I'm getting.

Ok, let's try...The same pattern again! Start at the top, keep going to the bottom, loop up the other side!

Everywhere I look, though...Nothing. Nothing. Is this the end of my winning streak?

But right where I'd turn around, though, I find it!

The white egg!
    ...Hey, I have an egg like that in my bag. Could I just have dyed eggs and brought them, and walked along to victory?

I rush it back. I'm actually impressed with my stamina here; I think...Last year, I'd have been totally out of breath.

Victory, Round 3!

Is this... the same pattern? It feels exactly like the last time...

The white egg...

It totally is! Which means...I just wasted my time with the last couple of searches.

I panic more and more, but I find it at the penultimate place to check, pretty much.

Man, will this hunt just stop already?

Ok, so I find this one by the bakery again...And bring it back. Everyone else looks totally exhausted, and even I feel my heart racing.

...A different response? Is...Is it over?

Wooh. That was kind of intense.

Is this warm feeling satisfaction, or just endorphins?

....Awesomesauce.

Victory is sweet, and maybe a little bit sour. Kind of tart. Maybe Victory should have been left to ripen longer.

Maria looks a little out of it:

"Are you alright? Do you need a drink?"
    I fret maybe a little more than I should...
    "I-I'll...I'll be OK, Fox."

I decide to check up on everyone.

"...Yeah, I guess it was."

That's it. Just "Darn."

Nah, Power Berries beat money...Probably.

I am a terrible person who should feel terrible. Why are we even letting adults compete? Well, I guess then we'd only have 3 participants...Uhhh...

These guys have about the same thought:

...Was it really that bad? I mean, Maria's out of it, but Maria's a skinny librarian girl...

Anyway, I guess Karen's a convert now.

"Rick, how did your invention work?"
    "It didn't go well. The problem..."

"It can detect the egg, but it takes around..."

An hour?!
    "I need to stop testing it on stationary eggs..."
    Ya think?

Anyway, I better head home...

Fall-21-xxx1

Would you believe nothing happened today until I reached town? It's true. No one said anything interesting, nothing unusual happened... It was just sort of a blah fall day.

I ran into the boys at the church, though, and realized something hadn't come up on the subject of puppies:
    "What are you calling them? Are you keeping them?"
    "We're probably gonna keep at least one...But we might give the other away."
    "We haven't thought of names yet! Can you think of some, Bro? They're a boy and a girl puppy!"
    "Yeah, I can give it some thought."

Puppy names, puppy names...Actually, come to that, I've been thinking about names for other animals I might get, too.

D'awwww, puppy... The other one's shadowing its momma too closely for me to get a good petting in. But isn't this puppy just a sweetheart?
    Now, I should go, before my IQ just hits the floor. Darnit, cuteness proximity!

On the other animals front, Lambo's wooly today, so there's that.
    It's just such a quiet day...I feel like I'm going a little bit crazy, after all the hustle and bustle of the last few months...
    But hey, it's almost my birthday. Maybe I should have a vacation.

But not tonight. Tonight, I chop logs. Current lumber supply: 179.

We need names, people! Why don't we just come up with one name for all available animals (that is, puppies, cow, and sheep)?

Also, fun fact: Grey only shows up at the festival if your affection is high enough... But his name is always on the game's list of people who can win if you can't. Grey Wins By Not Attending.

And while I'm at it...Anyone have anything with the girls they'd like to see adressedb before the choice? In addition to the scenes remaining, I'd like to try padding things out and levelling the playing field by giving each girl a written-by-me scene. So I'd like to hear some ideas, because sometimes my brain just stalls. I've definately got one in-mind for Popuri.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-02-04 at 12:14 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Animals? :o Umm...

Cow: Malon
    Chicken: Talon
    Puppy: Ruto
    Sheep: Naboru-....darn you HM64 limits! Um...Shawn?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

If we had bought another cow, I'd suggest Emmett, but since it's Clara's children, I'm gonna say Verne or Jules.

The puppy should be Navi.

A sheep... Chewy?

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    If we had bought another cow, I'd suggest Emmett, but since it's Clara's children, I'm gonna say Verne or Jules.

The puppy should be Navi.

A sheep... Chewy?
    Conveniently, we may be getting another cow soon. I'm back up to 37k, so shopping spree's the limit.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Female Puppy: Midna
    Male Puppy: King
    Chicken: NPC
    Pig (Can we get pigs?): Ganon
    Cow (if we can't get pigs): Ganon
    Cow (if we can get pigs): Brook
    Sheep: Fisher
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Female Puppy: Midna
    Male Puppy: King
    Chicken: NPC
    Pig (Can we get pigs?): Ganon
    Cow (if we can't get pigs): Ganon
    Cow (if we can get pigs): Brook
    Sheep: Fisher
    We can get no more chickens (unless one dies, in which case I reset) and, additionally, no pigs in this one.
    Also, no yaks, alpacas, llamas, emus, or silkworms.
    Or ducks, I forgot ducks.
    HM64 is a simple creature, which will not even let you ride your horse outside the farm. There are times I like that simplicity (I don't have to do arbitrary things of collect 5-10 random piles of junk to unlock a villager/complete the plot? Sign me up!), and times I don't (I like Alpacas.)
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Puppies: Malon and Talon.
    Next Cow: Ribeye
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

Have a thing that is pretty much the most nostalgic non-Zelda, non-Lunar videogame music in my awareness. Hearing it melts all the bitter, congealed gunk crowding around my soul out. I get to have it all the time, but I don't know how many of you guys have heard it:
    http://heckyeahhm64.tumblr.com/post/...e-harvest-moon

You're welcome (this plays over the bits basically covered in the prologue, and all other pre-start screen stuff).
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

*Gives 'er a listen*

Ooooh, not bad. Sorta like an epic Animal Crossing song.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

Heh. Oh, by the way. There won't be an HM64 Chapter this week. See, I kind of forgot I'm going out of town tommorow, going to the beach because I dunno, it's a holiday coming up.

On the other hand, since most of the chapter will be taken up by work-type events, it will probably be much longer than normal, in terms of days.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-02-08 at 07:19 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

Yeaaah beach party!

Make sure you swim under the waves to win the girl's heart, Deme!

...Wait...
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

I am such a huge derp I forgot you were referencing my own stuff. Yup.

Anyway, I thought I'd open up the Q&A box again, in case there were any questions!
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-02-09 at 10:51 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)