New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

Awkward Zombie on one of the later Harvest Moons
    Spoiler
    Show

I highly recommend going to the actual website so you can see the author's comments
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

There is a reason I don't play, and do not like, HM:AWL (the game in the comic). Now, I know a lot of people I've heard say they like it, in part because it fills a simmilar spot in their lives that HM64 fills in mine... And I will not say they are wrong for doing so. But I have my reason for dislike.

And that reason is everything about it, with a few exceptions. The things I like about it are things the series never really did try again (Save the Homeland is simmilar, in this regard, though my heart says there's more in there worth saving)...Then again, they did a lot of things wrong there they didn't try again, too, so yay. Harvest Moon, as a series, actually tries to mix up the gameplay a decent amount, for a series of games all basically abou the same thing.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-02-11 at 02:41 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Is the Q&A open for everyone? As in, for the characters?

If that is the case...

Questions for all the competing Bachelors in the town!

Q1: What do you think of the competition you have in Fox? (If they are even aware of this)

Q2: Do you feel that your prospective wife-to-be and you will have a happy life together?

Q3: How do you feel about Fox as a whole from your experience with him in town?

Q4: Boxers, or briefs?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trobby View Post
    Is the Q&A open for everyone? As in, for the characters?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trobby View Post
    If that is the case...

Questions for all the competing Bachelors in the town!

Q1: What do you think of the competition you have in Fox? (If they are even aware of this)

Q2: Do you feel that your prospective wife-to-be and you will have a happy life together?

Q3: How do you feel about Fox as a whole from your experience with him in town?

Q4: Boxers, or briefs?
    Q1:
    "...Competition? You mean, like, for the egg contest? Well, I don't think I have good chances next time, either. He's pretty tough; I'm surprised, ha ha." (Translation: Harris has no idea.)
    "...With that girl, I can't say."
    "W-well, he said he didn't like her, right? But...The fact that she likes him...Makes things complicated."
    "He can have her... I didn't ask for things to be this way. I don't want it to be this way."
    "He's pretty serious competition, alright. I think he'd make Miss Karen happy, but... I don't know if that's enough for me, anymore. I think I've got a shot, though. Maybe."

Q2:
    "W-w-wife? Well, that's... That's kind of sudden, don't you think? I mean... I haven't...Even really...I can't seem to...*sigh* I don't know what to do."
    "...Maybe. She might not accept, anyway." This came after a good bit of pressuring it out of him, I think.
    "W-well, we've been a good team this time...So I think it could work. But I may be a little old for her..."
    "It wouldn't work. So...It's better if I don't think about it, and you shouldn't, either...That's not a hurt I want to risk."
    "I think Miss Karen and I could be happy together. I hope so, anyway, even if it means I have to make myself a tougher person."

Q3:
    "I like Fox. He can be a little odd, but I think he's a very good person. You know. Inside. I think he's had it rough."
    "...He's alright. I guess. Not as bad as I expected."
    "He seems to be a very responsible young man."
    "He's a pal. I try not to complicate life much, but I think he can hear me out without it causing a lot of trouble. And anyway, Cain likes him, too."
    "I like Mr. Fox very much. He's an admirable person... I think he's very brave."

Q4:
    "It's been getting kind of chilly, so I'm wearing my long johns recently. I have to keep myself warm when it's winter, too."
    *glares suspiciously* "...You're wierd."
    "....Briefs?"
    "I...I don't own seperate underwear and swimwear. That sort of thing just slows you down. So... You've seen it." *blush*
    "Boxers...Why?"
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-02-11 at 10:15 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

I see, very, very interesting....

And yes Grey, I am weird.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Firbolg in the Playground

A simple question for the Harvest Goddess:

Are you jealous of the prospective romantic interests?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

"Me, jealous of them? No. Two humans together can only sometimes move a goddess to pity, much less jealousy. It's too big a gap in scale. A forest can't be jealous of two trees inside it, even if one of those trees is very special to the forest.

...Besides, if one of them gets him to stay, he'll always be mine. It's win-win. The ones I'm jealous of are the gods of that far-off city, if it had any. They didn't even try to see his potential; they squandered it for years...And all the same, got to guide and direct his growth all his life.
    And they might still take him from me yet."
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

8. - Top - End - #428
    Barbarian in the Playground

Let's see here, questions for Fox:

Q1: What, now that been here for a while, do you miss most about the city?
    Q2: Do you worry that the ladies may let themselves while you are out and about and read something you don't want them to find?
    Q3: When you were a child, what did you dream that you would be doing now? What do you think child you would think about running the farm? (okay that is technically this is two but they fit together. )

For all 5 the competing bachelors:

Q4: Who do you Fox likes the most of the available ladies?

For the romantic interests:

Q5: How often do you go snooping around Fox's house while he's not around?
    Q6: Also, what do they think about the eligible bachelor that not Fox that may be after them?
    Thank you to starwoof for the awesome Astrid avatar.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
    Let's see here, questions for Fox:

Q1: What, now that been here for a while, do you miss most about the city?
    Q2: Do you worry that the ladies may let themselves while you are out and about and read something you don't want them to find?
    Q3: When you were a child, what did you dream that you would be doing now? What do you think child you would think about running the farm? (okay that is technically this is two but they fit together. )
    Q1: "It's still reliable indoor plumbing, man. That answer...Isn't going to change anytime soon."
    Q2:"I didn't before, but now I do! Thanks."
    Q3: "...What did I dream I'd be doing... I don't remember. Maybe I didn't dream anything.
    ...But I think Kid-Me would be excited. He liked it here."

For all 5 the competing bachelors:

Q4: Who do you Fox likes the most of the available ladies?
    "...I...never asked. That's a little impolite, don't you think?"
    "Well, let's see...I know Popuri hangs by the bakery sometimes, and they seem to get along well. I don't monitor his life or anything."
    "Ann."
    "Well, he does seem to like Ann, too...So I guess Ann?"
    "Oh, well it's pretty obviously Miss Karen, seeing as I've not heard him to like anyone else."

For the romantic interests:

Q5: How often do you go snooping around Fox's house while he's not around?
    Q6: Also, what do they think about the eligible bachelor that not Fox that may be after them?
    Q5:
    "Never!...Well, maybe once or twice. I wanted to talk to him and he just wasn't around...So I....Just sort of checked inside the house. There wasn't really anything in there."
    "Never; that's very ill-mannered, you know that?"
    "N-not even once....Why would I do something wrong like that?"
    "Oh, I've not really snooped. Just wandered a bit, teehee."
    "Why would I look in his house? All the interesting stuff is in his pastures."
    This is why you shouldn't ask things that are better left imagined.

Q6:
    ...Actually, this is one I want to spend some time in the main chapters developing over the winter, so the answers are, at this point in time, unconfirmed, since they'd change depending on who we're going to marry.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

This question is for...Fox's farm animals and pets! What do you think of your master?
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

By and large, they like him. He's a good master, though Link would like more treats for his doggy bowl. We'll see exactly how Agros feels in the upcoming horse race!
    Malice has a complicated love-hate sort of feeling for its master. Its life is a life of relative freedom. Its freedom is but a laxer form of slavery. It has everything that it could need, and is well-tended and cared for. It will never achieve its majestic destiny as a chicken, terrorizing Link (the character), or taking its place as the true heir to the dinosaurs. Fox is a nice guy. If he could be brought to heel, then the world would -- wait, is this feed made from real corn? Nice.

And so on.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-02-13 at 07:30 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a question for the Mayor:

"What problems did you inherit from the previous mayor?
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

"I've been mayor for 15 years; most of the problems I inherited are long-dead... But, in all seriousness, the town's slowing down. It's not growing well, and business dried up a bit during our times. It's a challenge, and it's been happening for a long time."

Anyway, chapter!
    It's not as long as I was hoping, but oh well. I'll try and work quickly on the next one.

Chapter 30: Birthday Fox
    Spoiler
    Show

Fall - 22 - XXX1

There's someone on my lawn. As usual. Is this just where people like to hang out? Waking me up?

I'd guess the mayor...
    But it's not, for a change. And it's his usual greeting, too.

"We're short of hands building the bridge in the mountain."
    "You're building a bridge in the mountain?"
    "Re-building. Oh, that's right. You weren't around when the old bridge collapsed."
    You know, that sounds almost like my not having lived here for years and years is a problem.

Well, I do like things that start and end in 'money.'
    "Sounds good."

"Come if you have time."

Mountain time, mountain time, having mountain adventures. This is the song I wrote to myself to fill the fairly repetitive time spent gathering stuff in the mountains.
    I'm not sure what else to think about during the mountain time. So I think the mountain song, because what sort of loser would actually be caught singing something like that?

Oh, I did run into Popuri while I was there!

And something she said caught my attention the other day...
    "Hey, Popuri?"
    Because....I'll be honest...I don't know how she feels about me. I don't know if I should know; I kind of think knowledge may make it worse, somehow.
    "When you said it was easier to be cheerful since I came here...What did you...?"
    "I meant that everything's much more lively and fun. You're a special person...So you bring a sort of special air to things."
    I lean against a tree.
    "A special air?"
    She giggles and nods.
    "That's right. You play it cool, but the grass is a bit greener and the moondrop flowers more gold... I can't describe it. But...I feel like this world is in love with you <3"
    Whut.
    "Whut."
    "What? oh, don't worry. I'm not pressuring you. I bet lots of places are in love with you. And that's OK." She looks at me, and those playful, laughing pink eyes sparkle mischeviously... But I also think there's something in her voice that's a little tender, too. "The land will be happy even if you go home, because it still loves you. You can't decide what love does. That's what makes it wonderful and scary, like a haunted house!"
    "...Like a haunted house?" This is the weirdest analogy.
    "Yep! Your heart goes pound-pound, and you don't know which road to take, and sometimes things leap out at you!"
    "So where are the peeled grapes in a bowl they say are eyes in this deal?"
    "It's...Not a perfect metaphor. Maybe that's kisses."
    She giggles again, brushing my arm with fingers as light as her laugh. It pushes it over somehow, and it makes me laugh.
    She nods with satisfaction.
    "...Of course, it's the same for me, too. I haven't totally decided where to go in terms of love... But I think I'll be happy, no matter what. As long as I follow my feelings, whatever love I give will work out."
    "...The same for you?" Is...Is she saying she's in love with me? I've never really been clear...
    "A lady's heart is a complicated secret...Or that's what Momma says. I don't mind if my heart isn't 100% settled yet. <3"
    ...Aaaaghh! I can't figure out what she's trying to tell me exactly!
    I guess she sees that look of abject despair and confusion on my face.
    "Don't worry. Let's just have fun, tee-hee."
    No pressure, huh? Thanks.
    That forgiveness...Even if it means there's something she's not certain about that I can't help her with...
    Still, it feels like a blessing.

"The plants root firmly in the harsh enviroment and bear lots of fruit... I want to be like that!"
    "You want to bear lots of fruit?"
    "I want to do well where it's tough, smart alec!"
    Eh, I'm just teasin'.

Anyway, I go and run around, help out at the church...

We decide to name the puppy they're giving away Talon, and the one they're keeping Malon. It seems a little premature to talk like that...But I guess things grow up faster than you think. Even puppies.

Go make sure Rick's eaten today.

"I was just thinking about something."
    "What sort of something?"
    "Well, I'm having trouble with the circuitry connectors for my teleporter, but we just can't find the mineral suitable for the sort of conductivity with the..."
    And then it becomes an endless torrent of science I do not understand. What has science wrought?
    "...I...I hope you find it?"
    I think he said something that indicates this is the direct response.
    "I may need to try and call some guys."
    Hopefully, some of them will understand a word of that.

Anyway, towards the end of my day, there's just one thing left to do:

I've got money for some purchases...So I intend to make them.

So here comes a new little moo-cow. I really hope it doesn't rain while I'm doing this bridgework business.

"No cancellations, And no refunds...I get it, I get it."
    "I don't want getting sued by your city-type lawyers."
    ...Where would I even get a lawyer out here? *sigh*

He patted me on the back when he saw that sigh.

"...I'll take that as a compliment, I suppose."
    "It's meant as one, kid. Don't think about it too much."
    I'll try. I'm just really good at thinking about things too much. It's a talent.

To the farm! *Fox-symbol!*

But he won't stop insulting my barn.
    Now, for a name...I've got Clara, so I could work a good Back to the Future III reference with Emmet, but this is a female cow. I propose as an alternative...

Brown! We can call her Doc.

For double pun powers. How now, Doc Brown cow?

And out into the nice warm pasture she goes. I've run some math about the re-growth of grass relative to the rate of consumption...
    And Clara's little baby will need her own plot of grass in the spring.

I go out and chop logs for the evening, pulling things into the night.
    Current lumber: 221. 300 more to go, therabouts...We'll see how it happens.

And now it's time to head to bed. I can't imagine what sort of work I'll have to do tommorow...

Fall-23-xxx1

The moment I finish breakfast, Kent comes in.

He's got a worried expression...
    "Everything alright, Kent?"

...A favor? It's dawn, Kent.
    "...What is it?"

"What happened?"

His grandpa seems like a nice kind of guy...I wonder what sort of fight it was?
    Still, if I had a friend who I could have stayed with when I fought with my dad.... That would have been really nice. I'd have done it, even if he would have gotten more mad at me for it. And hey, if it's not too bad, maybe I can smooth things over.

"Yeah, you can stay. At least until it calms down. What was it about?"
    "You know I'm saving money to run a farm with one day."
    I nod. Kent sort of talks about it a lot.
    "He said children..."

"He scolded me so hard I had to run away!"
    I'd say he's the opposite of my dad, trying to keep the kid in his charge from working too hard...

"Isn't it better to prepare ahead of time?"
    But looking at Kent's face right now, it doesn't *feel* that way.

...I feel like I'm on the edge of an abyss or something. A little voice I think of as my father's is telling me to tell him that study and preparation are important; no, I know it's mt father's. In the end, I've never studied or prepared for anything I ever wanted.
    I will not agree with that voice.
    I will not.
    I refuse!

"...Not always."

I feel like I just did something wrong. That's the thing.

He sighs and paces around the edge of my bed, looking small and lost.

Before I can say anything, Stu comes running in, leaving the door open behind him. Agros pokes his head in the door.

We rush over as quickly as I can. I know I'm a little superfluous in both health and family matters, but...
    Kent came to see me when he had troubles, and Stu knew that was where he'd go. It...sort of made me feel like I've got to support them when I can. Or something.

Kent grabs his grandfather's hand. He's flat out on the bed, and I can't see how he is...
    "Grandpa! Grandpa, don't go! Don't leave us..."
    But for a kid with no one else, it must be pretty scary.

The midwife comes over to shush them.

Didn't this talk start their fight?

The midwife laughs warmly.

Kent shakes his head sadly; I guess that's a thing he just can't get yet.

Childhood is sort of full of things like that.

After a little while, Kent comes out to talk.

"Try not to worry too much, OK?"
    He nods.

I...I don't know if I know the right things to say to this kid...
    But I'll do my best.
    "Of course, Kent. We're bros, right?"
    He nods enthusiastically.

"Yeah, but I'll make time when I can. Come get me if you need me."

Shoot, shoot, shoot!
    I'm gonna be sooooooo late!

Of all the time for eggplants!

Since I don't know if I'll be off work before the shipment goes out, I try and get all my animal products in before heading out.

"Sorry. I had chores."
    And kids.
    Not that I had kids, but...
    Nevermind!
    Shut up and let me build a bridge!

Wooh. I'll have time tommorow.
    "Ok."
    We head up to the top of the mountain -- or, at least, the end of the trail we can get without climbing the tree.

I wonder if I could embezzle some lumber off the top...

And it's that, over and over again, for hours...Something about the repetition makes it worse than running around just chopping logs.

"If you came tommorrow, too. Well, let's rest for now."

Anyway, that hard work done, I head out to the bar. Kai's there.
    "The Master at the vineyard's on to me, I think."
    "On to you?"
    "...About Miss Karen, the vineyard's daughter and heir."
    He sighed a bit dreamily.

...Yeah. I know what you mean. That's the hard part, I suppose.

Next up...
    "Hey, Grey."
    He turns away.
    "Is something on your mind?"
    He harumphs a bit.
    "You can tell me, you know. We're...Kinda friendly-like, right?"

"I am. What is it?"
    "...Thinkin' about the future."
    "...The future?" Like...with jetpacks?
    "I'm sure I can get a blue feather..."
    "Woah."
    That's...If I get this custom right...
    That's some serious future.
    "For who?"
    "You'l just think it's weird...Or I got no chance. Not with someone like her."
    "...You know I won't."
    He shuffles his feet uneasily under the table, like he's trying to get away.
    "Well, you don't have to tell me; I guess I'll find out. Don't worry. Good luck."
    He looks more uneasy, since I said that.
    "..."

Oh, well...But...At the same time...Given the options...It's someone I care for. Unless he has a secret penpal.

Anyway, after a long day of chopping logs and a short time of sitting around, want to know what I do?

If you didn't guess 'chop more magically replenishing logs (I've got my eye on you, Harvest Goddess)," well, you are apparently more sensible than I am.

Current lumber count: 263. Progress feels slow sometimes.
    I collapse into my bed, and realize tommorow's the day before my birthday.

Fall-24-XXX1

The day before my birthday contains within it eggplants. Since I still have morning left after harvesting the eggplants, I decide to just collect the eggs and stuff; just because what else should I do? I don't need to shop or anything...

Which means it's time for more menial labor!

It's basically the same speech as yesterday...

But at least it's different labor. Today, I'm pounding in the supports that will hold up and anchor our little bridge.

My grandpa's hammer is, like, 6 times the size of their hammers.
    Grandpa, it's OK. You don't have to overcompensate like this.
    Then again, your hammer is literally magic.

But there's money at the end of the day, so it's all alright.

I go home, brush and tend to Doc Brown, and then...Contemplate what to do. The bar's closed; I guess I'll log and fish, or something.
    Man, I forgot how dull a 9-to-5 could be. I thought I would never forget, but construction work is actually about on-level with my last job, sans that I don't have a computer for playing spider solitare on.

I also check my funds.

Look at my money, my money's amazing. I guess that'll have to count as a birthday present...
    Happy birthday to me, right?

Fall-25-xxx1

I'm sorry if I sounded bitter yesterday, I just...
    I'm pretty sure no one cares. I don't expect them to, especially since I didn't tell anyone in town. Except the mayor, since it was on his forms. But I also don't expect anyone from the city to care, since they've not cared thusfar. I don't expect anything.
    But there's a bitterness to not expecting, you know?

Maybe I'll buy myself a beer tonight; that'll cheer me up. That's what I'm thinking as I walk out the door...

And am greeted by Elli, holding a small wrapped package in her hands.

"...Good morning?" Not that I'm unhappy to see her, but... I am surprised and confused.

"What. How did you...How did you even know it was my birthday?"
    "I asked the mayor. I figure you had to have filled out paperwork to inherit a whole farm...And maybe that was on there...It was kind of an out of the way method, but..." She smiles, a certain resoluteness to her expression. "I wanted to be sure you had something."

I accept the gift with hands that suddenly feel very stiff and clumsy; totally caught off-guard.
    The wrapping is very neat and tidy, but the contents feel light and soft. I open it slowly, revealing a white piece of fabric.

It has little fall leaves and acorns around the edges. In one corner, there's a little embroidered fox (It's too small to be really detailed, but I can smell a pun)...And as I unfold it, there's an F on the other corner.

"It's a handkerchief,"

"Yeah, but if I did that, it'd get dirty...It's really way too nice for that."
    She laughs.
    "I suppose I may have gone overboard, but I wanted to make something useful...And then I just started adding stuff. Still, it'd make me happy if you could use it <3."
    "I can't refuse that, now, can I? Thank you. Thank you very much." It's not much, but... In some ways, it's one of the nicest presents I've ever gotten. Like, I have generally thought 'it's the thought that counts' was a weak sort of idea, but...
    Now that I have a present that's basically entirely thought...I think they were right after all. Darn you, children's story morals.

"I considered making a cake, but for a present I wanted to be sure you got, it felt...A little mundane."

She smiles cheerfully, but then...I have to ask. The bit of me that spent a lot of energy to be bitter and prepared for sadness it turns out wasn't coming had to ask...
    "Elli, can I ask...Why you went through all this bother?"

She looks surprised, and as she speaks, her surprise becomes increasingly bashful.
    "Well...You're alone out here, with your father in the city...And no one else here. And even if you didn't want a fuss...I thought..." She turns her head, smiling faintly. "No one should be alone. You shouldn't be alone."

Her smile then is so sweet and tender; she doesn't even realize it's there. As natural to her as her ideas are to her... And it's a smile that feels like a little bit of exposed soul, warm as the color of autumn leaves.
    That smile...Having a smile like that for me... May be my real present.

It's infectious, though, and so I see her off with my own smile.
    "Thanks, Elli. I'm glad you did this."
    She nods, and turns to go.

I finger the handkerchief, stored already in a handy pocket.

Well, my birthday's better than expected.

Anyway, there's just some quick chores to do, since there's no eggplants to harvest.
    Which means it's time for work!

Indeed. It's more hammering of supports in again.

"...Hey, guys. Wait a second. Who's on the other side installing the other supports?"
    Everyone stops and stares at me, like they've just now thought of it. The apprentice twins look at eachother like they're about to burst into tears.
    "...I'm sure we'll work something out."

Mmm. Tasty money. Maybe I'll go by and get me a birthday cake.

Nope, guess not....Darnit.

Well, I can at least buy myself that beer.

It's mostly just random chatter at the bar, but I learned something interesting:

"That he's my grandma's grandson."

"That is how a family tree works, but...Cliff? Where did you even hear this?"
    "The bartender told me. Said he'd heard Cliff talking about his family tree, and Grandma had a kid who went to live up north, and it all sort of fits together."
    "Huh. You and Cliff, related. Small world."
    "It's sort of odd thinking about it. I get along better with family that's not family. But Cliff's a quiet drunk, so he's not bad to be around at work!"
    ...That's a cheerful way of looking at it... Or one focused entirely on drink, but either way, it sounds like a good laugh.

...I wonder if Cliff knows. Well, he's over there, so I could ask, but the look on his face makes me feel like family stuff...Isn't what he wants to talk about, really.
    "Something wrong?"
    He shakes his head, he shrugs, and then he sort of nods. That's always a sign that things are just....Sort of screwy.

"Thinking...So I can't help feeling uneasy."

Oh, man. That's a tough one...
    "I don't think anyone knows what anyone else is thinking, unless they ask and get told."
    "But then the answers might be lies. Or they just might not be true tommorow. That's...Not something I can take."
    "Sometimes, you've just got to not think about it too hard...I'll tell you when I get that right." On the other hand, I bet I'd have a lot less interesting days if I didn't really overthink lots of things.

Anyway, I didn't come here to play therapist or discover family trees. I came here for one thing and one thing only...

Booze.

"Oh, don't I know it."
    I...I've missed you, alcoholic beverage. You made my evenings much more merry, and probably made me a lot more fun to be around at a night club.

Aaaah....Happy birthday to me. I spend an evening like in the days before I came here, just drinking and talking with my friends. I've earned this. This odd contentment? Earned it!
    I even get bought a few rounds, courtesy of Karen.

I walk home in the dark without a worry in the world...When I notice that there's something in my mailbox.
    Harris must have come during the day today... I pick up the envelope. It's got some long-distance stamps on it, so it may have been a special delivery...
    And that's when I notice the return address, stamped in the corner. It's my father's.

Maybe he just wanted to wish me a happy birthday. Maybe it's a card. With maybe some money, because that is a thing you do at birthdays. Maybe it will not be some self-righteous scolding.
    A man can dream, right?

"Happy Birthday, Son,

It's been a while, hasn't it? I'm doing well; despite this economy, the business is still growing this quarter.
    What about you? Are you eating enough? Promise me you've not gotten in trouble with any girls, OK? I worry about what happen to you if that happens, out in the country like that. I hope you're doing well, and working hard.

You know, I'm really surprised you've been out there this long. I honestly would have never believed you could have stuck with hard going so long, even if you've not accomplished anything.
    If you had managed that in college, just think of where your life could be now!

You've proved your point; you're a grown man, and I should treat you like one more often. You can come back to your home and your job now.

I'm sure your m"

It is at this point I can't stand to read another goddess-forsaken word of the thing. I throw the crumpled ball at my feet.
    How dare he? I try and make one choice, one choice my whole stinkin' life -- my life, I should remind him, it's not like I'm spending his life doing it! -- and he can't act like it doesn't revolve around what he wants me to be, not even once.

Well fine! If he wants to not care what I think or feel...Then he can just keep doing it. He doesn't need my input.
    I really shouldn't have expected better.

Last edited by Deme; 2013-02-17 at 10:46 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

14. - Top - End - #434
    Halfling in the Playground

Great update! I'm liking Elli more and more.

Will we get to see birthday gifts from the other girls, or do you get only one (from the girl with whom you have the highest relationship, I would assume)?
    Last edited by SharpWolf; 2013-02-22 at 01:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

We only get one; I may do a bonus chapter, if I've still got a save-state for the 25th. I may not.

Chapter 31: And We're Off to the Races!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fall-26-xxx1

I'm not going to think about last night.
    I refuse.
    Not gonna happen.

I refuse to acknowledge the old man, with his stupid insistance that he knows how to live my life.
    Watch me!
    Harvesting my eggplants, not thinking about my father.

I don't have time to take care of the animals before work, because I had a lot of eggplants that I harvest without a certain person in my thoughts.

How early does he expect me to get here, exactly? He's never said.

It occurs to me that this is the first thought I've had today that wasn't a deflection of other thoughts. It's kind of a happy relief.

"Did you guys ever work out the other side?"
    "Yeah, we just decided to use the tree to get to the other side."
    ...Does anyone even need a bridge?

My mountain song doesn't really work for this, sadly.
    I work for the day, trying to silence my...I dunno, me.

Actually, I'm tired and sweaty, but I'm feeling pretty rested. Pounding things into the ground really works well to de-stress...
    When you picture a certain face on the stakes.

Anyway, I head home to tend my animals.

Half a month left. I...I think she's doing OK? Maybe?
    What do I know of pregnant cows? She's eating OK and stuff.

I spend the rest of the evening logging...

The results show themselves, at least a little bit.

It's been kind of a boring day...But I've sort of cooled out, or at least shoved it all to the back of my head where I don't have to look at it for a while.
    In reflection, I think I kind of do that a lot.

Fall-27-XXX1

The mornings are getting colder. Winter's almost here.
    ...I could use one of Rick's rugs, maybe. The floor borders on freezing.

You know, I don't even know why my TV has a news channel, if everyone's going to tell me their news at my lawn.
    Though I suppose the advance planning wouldn't be a bad idea to check out.

Anyway, behind door number 1 is...
    Mr. Green!

Oh, yeah...Agro is actually grown up this time.
    "Wait, wasn't there already a horse race?"
    "We do two a year; it's a big source of income for the town. The next one's..."

"Well, I'll give it a whirl, but I've never raced before...Besides, wasn't that the terms of letting me have Agros?"
    So don't even try to pretend I have a choice.
    "Got me there; but I'll bet you'll do fine!"
    "Like I said, I'll do it."

"In the morning!"

Man, I don't even know what it takes to get a horse ready to race...

Well, I guess if this is what's happening...

I give Agro a big, thorough brushing.
    "You're my friend, aren't you, buddy? You're a good, fast horse..." I pat his side. "Listen, it's OK if we don't win, alright? I'd have payed my debt to Mr. Green, whatever sort of debt it is..."
    Agro looks at me and snorts. He tosses his head. I guess, in the end, he's a race-horse, not a farm horse. Not winning's not in his blood...
    That's the impression that I get.

I also take care of animals this morning, since I ran late the other day.

To work today!
    I wonder how this will mesh with the races...

It sounds like we're starting to work with the planks for the bridge, which I guess is a late step?

The cool air made the work feel a bit more wieldy; I can't imagine this happening in the summer. I'd just keel over, improved stamina or not.

And when the day's almost over...

I guess that solves it; I'm done here!

I still wonder if anyone really needs it...

"The mountain...You know, without having to test tree branches."
    The man has a point.

They stroll off, leaving me excited to see what we've done, and excited to see what I've earned.

Given that I only need 30k for a greenhouse...
    I'm thinking I'm pretty good, financially.

As I head up to gather things from the mountain, I hear... A certain familiar voice.

It's a voice that sends me running instantly...Yeah, that little rosebud and daisy sort of voice, sweet as spring.
    And I know pretty much where to find its owner, too, though whether that's knowledge or some sort of memory...Or some sort of intuition...I can't really say. I just know, and start running at the cliff.

And wouldn't you know it, there she hangs.
    "Are you alright?"
    "I-I can't get up!"

While I admit, I jump that height pretty often... On the other hand, I choose to make that jump. In other world, I control it...Sort of.

"Hang on! I'll help!"

I shimmy up the tree as quick as I can manage. I feel a little proud, having managed this skill. Because unlike trigonometry, tree climbing is actually a skill that's useful. Right now...It's something I can use to help someone precious to me.

A girl on the rock ledge... Didn't that happen in a dream I had? Or sometime in the past?

I leap across the gap and reach over to her. Her hands, scrabbled tight against the rock... But they're just a little...
    Just a little out of reach. I try creeping my knees to the edge of the cliff, getting more and more tenuous as I reach.

If either of us say anything, I really can't remember it. I wonder if I shouldn't have just tried to catch her like a sane person...Or would that be more crazy?
    Her face right then looks like a scared child, and when I pull her up...The instinct to protect her sort of takes over, and I wrap her up in my arms. She's more panicked from lack of control of the situation than real fear of danger...
    In that hug, I smell her hair; you'd expect a floral scent, but it's strawberries. The oddly exact...matchiness...of it is kind of silly. Maybe that's why she likes it. I try not to think about that, but send warm thoughts in my arms.

She calms down a bit and I let go.

"And I reached out and slipped. Thanks, you saved me."
    "I don't think it would have been that bad."
    She giggles, returning to her bright and cheery self.
    "Maybe not. But all the same... You risked as bad a fall as I'd have gotten, so I wouldn't have to fall...Or, if I did, not alone. That's saving, no matter how small."

We look at the flower of her desire, growing down the cliff-face... It's just a little white flower, with a heavy bell-shaped blossom. It sat on a little ledge, only big enough for it...

And she gets a nostalgic look on her face.

"But hasn't something like this happened before?"
    "You know...I was just thinking that, too." Yeah...I remember.

When we were kids, I found her like this...And tried to get to her, but...
    My arms weren't very long, then, and we ended up on a ledge together...
    And her dad had to help us.

I dreamed it, too, so that's a double deja vu.
    "That didn't work out so well last time." I was crying; I remember that.

"When you came back to town, I barely even recognized you as the same little kid...
    You pulled me up so easily..."

I'm glad. I'm glad I got to help her...Heck, I'm glad I was strong enough, even though I've known for a while I can lift her. There's something bright and shining to her happiness about being saved, to her admiration...I want to save it, somehow.
    But...With the way things are right now...
    That's not a gladness I can really do much about, so I look back down at the flower.

"Maybe one day that flower will grow, too; it'll grow where I can reach it for myself. Well, until then... I guess I'll have to count on you <3."

And with that cheerfully enigmatic comment, she's off.

With my heart trying to decide if it's frustrated or happy, I climb down...

And chop some lumber. Current count: 431, so maybe I'll get enough by winter's start!

I go back home late in the night, water my crops, make sure I've done everything...

And give Agro a good brushing at the stable, checking out his hooves and so on. Everything looks good to go -- we'll see how he does.

"I guess we'll see how I've grown as a rider and horse-owner, too."
    Agro snorts into my hair.

Fall-28-xxx1

Mr. Green came by and took Agros off to the races very early; even I was still half-asleep. I'm coming by later...

There's not much on the farm today, thank goodness; having to trapse around to tend all the animals on foot is a bit of bother.

But I got wool out of it, so there's a good paycheck in store.

I arrive at the races just fine, but...I kind of don't know which race I'm in. I guess I can lounge around, maybe gamble, ask about a bit...

For one thing, I see the girls from the last horse race, and the fireworks.

They're apparently talking about food. Or gambling. They wave when they see me.
    "Heeey, Mr. Farmer! Having a good time?"
    One of them follows up with a good giggle. I think if I respond...It'd probably be a fun time. One or a bunch of us -- I'm guessing the beret girl -- would have a pretty nice evening. And then we'd go our ways with a decent little experience behind us. Nothing more, nothing less.
    ...But you know?...That's not something I really want anymore. I'd probably end up thinking of somebody else, and that's no good. It'd just leave the girl I'm with unhappy. I'd probably end up hurting someone...
    Ugh, this has totally crimped my style. Heart wants what the heart wants.

"Yeah. Even some out-of-towners, huh?"
    She nods happily.
    "I don't like a crowd...But when everyone's having fun...It's not so bad. Besides...Y-you've been busy, so...I'm happy to see you."
    She beamed at me.
    "Well, why don't we have some fun! Let's gamble a little."
    She nods, and we go look over the books.

"I think it's better to go with a safe bet...Passho doesn't have a big reward, but you're sure to win."
    "I disagree. It's too small a reward. Taraba's a better safe-bet... But I'd rather see Umeshu win."
    "But there's not way he'd win!"
    "That's why I'd like to do it. Support the underdog!"
    I laugh, caught up in the infectious cheer of the day. Even Maria's into it.
    "I wonder how you make odds for things...I wonder if you can get a book on it."
    "You want a book on being a bookie?"
    "Not when you put it like that!...I just thought the math would be neat."

It occurs to me that I could bet 99 metals on everything. But that would kill my bank account.

"Why don't we make some bets together? My treat."
    "Alright, how about...Eh, let's do what you want, and pick Passio."
    "Alright."
    She seems like she's having a lot of fun.

"All participants should come to the gate."

Agros wasn't on the books, so I just need to get to where I can watch.

Darnit, Passio. Quit being a loser who wins. What sort of story do you think this is? Why should the clear favorite win?
    Well, Maria will be happy, right?

We're splitting the profits, too. Nice.

Anyway, in the back area... It's much busier than the Spring one, really.

Of course, maybe I say that because Cliff's the first person I see, and he wasn't there in the Spring.

"I see. You doing any betting?"
    "No, I won't be here long."

In other words, Ann asked him to. Then again, Cliff and Cliff get along pretty well, from what I saw.

Someone catches my eye, though...

She does; I nod. It's such an odd expression, particularly since she loves horses so much...
    "No, I'm OK, really! I'm always..."

Her face falls a bit.
    "...Haaa."
    "...You sure you're OK?"
    "Don't worry, don't worry! If I weren't fine, I'd just shout around until I felt better!"
    She laughs... I kind of get the impression she's flashing a big 'don't ask me anymore' sign, so...I go talk to someone else.
    I'll check up on her tommorow. Or maybe poke her brother about it.

"Yeah, it's pretty nice."
    And it's more crowded than before, so I have more people to run around talking to.
    ....I have strange social needs, I know.

"I'm going to need it."
    He doesn't say anything, not even a 'yeah, you are.' That's...Kind of surprising.

And then I remember that, once upon a time... Ann said something about her brother not being able to ride... I look back at Grey, who's looking down at the track with a stare that's intense...
    He's a subtle guy, but... I think he looks a little heart-broken.

I pat him on the shoulder and quietly make myself scarce-ish. Making myself scarce means talking to Rick right now.
    "Man, Gray seems...Pretty down. Even for him."
    Rick nods, his expression far-away and thoughtful.
    "I guess I can tell you, at least a little. You're his friend..."

"Cliffgard?"
    He nods.

"And he can't ride anymore..."
    "I think Ann said something like that, too...But she never mentioned the accident."
    "It was rough stuff; he was in the hospital for a long time... I think he still feels it in his leg sometimes."
    I had noticed he has a slightly weird walk...

"He used to laugh more."
    ...I can't even picture Gray laughing.
    What does that even sound like? In response to my incredulity, Rick can only say:
    "He grew silent after he couldn't ride Cliffgard anymore. But he's always been unsociable."
    "...Yeah, that makes it fit together a bit more..."

I feel bad for the guy. I've never really had a dream before...Something to make me really happy...
    So I can't imagine having that taken away. Still, there's a girl he likes, so...
    I guess he's got something that can still make him smile. Even if it shoots me in the foot, I want to wish him the best.

And finally, Harris is here.
    "Why are you here?" He does not seem like the racing type.

"I'm sure it's fine. Try to have fun."
    He nods.

I go forth and place my bets!

"The second race is about to start."

I am basically rooting for any horse but the pure brown one or maybe the grey-and-purple-y guy. One of them had a perfect 1:1 thing, and that's pretty lousy.

Shoot, I did not watch close enough!

Also did not remember horse names enough.

Times two...Better than nothing, I suppose.

You know, for an operation so clearly full of cheating, I'm surprised they even thought of this.
    Oh, wait! I guess this means my race is next. I should get ready...How do you even get ready to race?

Well, first...

I consider buying something, but then change my mind. Maybe next time.

I run down to the place where they're getting Agro ready.
    "We can do this...We can do this..." How do I do this?

That's...A little fourth-wall breaky for me, thanks.

The gunshot rings. Ok, Agro, let's go!

Ok, starting off strong...Or is it better to pace myself? How
    No, I shouldn't watch other people...

But if I do that, I worry I won't be able to keep up. Agro's definitely losing speed now...
    I can't blame him if I didn't raise him well; I mean, who expected me to raise a horse for racing?
    Still...
    Agro is born to race; I can't hold him back! Alright, let's just rely on his instinct!
    "You can do it, boy."

We began to pick up speed. Even with a little fatigue wearing him down, we've got enough strength to get ahead...
    Even by just a hair, we can do this!

I...I won!
    I won!
    We won!
    "Heck yeah, Agro or Agros I never remember which it is! You're a winner, boy!"
    He whinnies as if to say that is obvious.

I dismount in the back lot of the track...It's a very out of the way place. I give him a little scratch under the chin the way he likes.

"I am so down with that!"

"To be honest, I feel like I sort of whited out for a minute there. No clue what happened...But it was fun."
    Wait. That man with the dark hair...
    Is he...

WANDERING CAMERAMAAAAAAAAN!
    "You stalking jerk!"

Well, if it's for Agro...
    "...Cheeeese."
    But next time, camera man!

Not so fast!

Gosh-darnit.

Ann walks up to me, a triumphant grin all over her face... Until it slowly gets replaced by more and more hesitation.

She eventually can't even look me in the eye. Still...The happiness in her bashfulness borders on electric. Her step is bouncy, she fidgets with energy... I bet the face I can't see has a big smile on it.

"I'm not sure I did anything to be thanked for."
    "You worked hard...And you made our little colt a winner. That's a lot...For all of us, and..."

In that moment...I feel her warm admiration, the stuff she's trying to say but can't quite get past her own head to reach to. I want to tell her 'it's alright, I understand' even if maybe I don't...Something like that. Like animals, I guess I can tell how she feels right then instinctively...

I reach out and...

Realize I'm being a total moron.

15 TO 1?!! WHO THE HECK SET THOSE ODDS?!

"Please exchange your medals for gifts."
    Nah, I'm good, intercom-person.

And now it's time for...VICTORY LAP!

Darn right! (I still kind of wish I got that hug...)

...Spunky?
    K.

He also hit the bottle, clearly.

You would be rolling in medals, with the odds I had. I guess I was the longshot...

He laughs, just once, and hits me on the back like a friend. I can't add anything to that but to laugh, too.

"That's the end of events."

"Goodnight, mayor."

Well, I say that, but I still have some chores to do. Mainly it's just a matter of watering the crops and heading to bed...
    And giving Agro one last pat, with love.
    "Good boy, Agro. Good boy."

Also, man. I lost a lot of screenshots of talking to people at the races. *sigh*.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-02-23 at 04:41 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

2 things.

1: Fox's moment with his dad...I feel for the poor boy.

2: YAY AGRO.

Two very good updates.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

I want to know if anyone bet on us to win.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

18. - Top - End - #438
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So many updates that I haven't commented on, but enjoyed.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Bonus #3: Birthday Party
    Spoiler
    Show

This one isn't like other bonus chapters; it's completely and totally non-canon, to the point where I'm just going to talk over it myself!

So, first up, Ann's birthday gift!

I do like that each girl has her own greeting. Good on you, whoever made that decision.

Ann's so cute, with her bashful face.

Continuity! Ann knits.

...I embellished things a bit for the LP. But you guys knew that already, right?

The text for Ann's gift isn't as cute as Elli's gift's text.

Anyway, next update...Karen!

I like that when Karen gets emberassed, she looks like she's kind of mad about it.

I wonder about the origin of this charm bracelet.

Also, wine! Man, Elli should have brought us a cake...Actually, she does, but only if her affection is lower than 160. I think I lampshaded it.

While there are a lot of rumors about things, a guide I trust for my information says the bracelet increases the chance that the forecast for the next day will be sunny by 10%. So it's a useful thing.
    Neither the socks nor the hankerchief do anything.

Sorry, Karen. The cookies just didn't crumble that way!

Anyway, this is the only birthday gift that I'm sure has a use in-game.

Next up, Maria! She's not gotten a lot of spotlight recently, but I've got a scene or two planned; I feel that the race for wife should be as fair as possible. I dunno.

"It's emberassing, but..."

This text-box auto-scrolls. Man, that's annoying. A lot of text boxes in HM64 do, so sometimes my screencapping is a bit odd.

Let me hug you, Maria. Because that is adorable!
    Anyway, I rather like that Maria has interests other than reading. She writes, she draws...I think she may also play the organ, but I may be mis-remembering. That may be just a thing her near-identical grandmother from the original Harvest Moon does.
    My point is, it gives her some diversity of character, which helps her out in competition with other library girls.

The item doesn't end up in our inventory. Also, why is this one text-box in first person? And...
    Harvest Moon 64, stop having periods outside of quotes.

Anyway, to see this one, we have to go inside!

...I have no idea what that's a picture of, but I think it's rather nice to have the decoration. I kind of like this one the best, as far as presents go.

And finally, Popuri!

I really like Popuri's greeting. It's just so...Popuri.

Puns! Everyone likes puns!
    I've heard someone refer to that tendency to decorate speech with hearts and things as "Lucky Charms Speech." They were talking about Julius from Tree or Tranquility (who had loads of it in his japanese text, apparently, and less in English), but it's a good descriptor for Popuri, too.

Just so we're clear, I am pretty sure Popuri's Potpourri does absolutely nothing.
    Besides be a little joke.

Why is this text-box placed here, instead of when you get the item, like in the others? Man, HM64, you are so odd sometimes.

I like that it gets a heart even in the item description. It's just that Popuri.

Anyway, those are all the birthday gifts, assuming anyone cares.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

How did 3 updates happen without me noticing any of them?

...And the new cow used something related to the name I suggested, too! Yay!

Does your father actually send you letters, or was that entirely original? I don't remember ever getting one from him in the game... Maybe I just never triggered them, though.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Arrrgh why did we have to get Elli's gift? I like literally everyone else's better.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    Does your father actually send you letters, or was that entirely original? I don't remember ever getting one from him in the game... Maybe I just never triggered them, though.
    He does not...At least not that I can recall, either. Like, on the one hand, I feel like he does, on the other hand, I don't recall it. Maybe he sends you, like, one, at some specific point late in the game, and it's not very interesting. The original father is not really an interesting guy, and is probably not meant to be a huge jerk...But when you think about the set-up for the game ("Hi, Son! I'm going to let you work for 3 years and then decide the value of your life! If you're not up to my arbitrary and completely unanounced standards, I'm dragging you back home with me, regardless of your feelings!"), I think you'll find my judgement is the right one.

As for why Elli's gift? *shrug* just happened that way. I thought we were going to get Karen's, until the day itself.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

23. - Top - End - #443
    Orc in the Playground

I think your dad sends you letters when you get married and again when you have a kid. They're pretty brief though, the written equivilent of a pat on the back.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

Sounds about right.

Also, sorry for the delays. I'm...completely stumped on the writing of this one. Like, totally lost. There's an event, and besides it just sort of being awkwardly-placed (writers/programmers/whoever made this call, what were you thinking?), and of relatively high importance... It's not giving me a lot to go off of, and it's driving me batty.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Of course, the moment I say that, I manage to start cobbling something together. This is just how I roll.

Chapter 32: The Last Autumn Leaf
    Spoiler
    Show

Fall-29-xxx1

Today may well be the last eggplant harvest of the year...At least until I get my greenhouse, and have infinite eggplants.

I get those in and check my mail.

Oh, right. I need to find a way to get vengence on the cameraman. Where's the return adress...
    Well. There isn't one. Aint that peachy.

Let's see this picture...

Of course he picked the one where I'm getting hit so hard I spill my drink. This cameraman is kind of a jerk...

Anyway, onto the church... I dunno why, but it's a fun thing to do, seeing the kids study... Besides, that feels like a big job for the pastor by himself.

"No, not what I was in school for, anyway."
    Maybe if I'd studied anything worthwhile... If I read something with interest, it was a book for my own use, not school.

"I guess you could say that... Just try and find ways to bring what you like into it, I guess."
    Handling kids, rule #1: say good advice you never personally followed.

I guess we can call that rule #2.

"Hey, Maria." She does not look up right away. She looks worried about something. I repeat myself.
    "Oh! Fox...I-I'm sorry. I was just...Sort of lost in thought."
    "Is something wrong?"
    "Well...It's the ending of my story. I'm...Not sure what ending I believe."
    "I...have no idea what you mean."
    "W-well...With the help of her friend, the ladybug decides to put on a dance for all the animals in the forest... But I don't know what happens then."
    She explains.
    "Well, I mean, she does well and people like her, or whatever, right? That's how stories go." Well, kid's stories.
    Well, kids stories that aren't depressing.
    "I'm not sure I believe that'd happen, though. The ladybug has no reason why she should succeed. But if she fails...Does that mean the whole story is purposeless? Is her effort only meaningful...If it has results?"
    She looks down into her hands with a lonely expression. Maria's story... It's the secret thing she's toiled for, for so long...And only had the nerve to show me...
    "Does it matter if it succeeds or fails? The story is about the courage of showing the dance to others. Everything after that...
    Is worthless in the face of courage."

A smile flutters uneasily onto her face.
    "So, maybe I should just cliffhang it...Let it end at the most important part."
    "That sounds good. But, you know...
    I'll alway be on the side that believes that the forest loves the ladybug's dance."
    Call me a sap like that.

I went home after that, and started on my chores, when...

I wonder what that's about?
    Well, I head over anyway. See what he wants.

He wants to praise me! I'm...Kind of surprised.

You. You are best person.
    "I am down with that!"
    Just no back-slapping that spills my drink this time.

"Afterwards, everybody will come."

We went to the bar; all the guys were there. I think I maybe almost got both Grey and Karen's dad to crack a smile.
    The beer was good, I had a good bit of it, and everyone seemed happy for me. It was...
    To be honest, it was a little scary, in a way I can't quite describe well yet. Nothing is scarier than stuff that's foreign.

But man...I am not looking forward to all the work I have to do tommorow.

Fall-30-xxx1

Today, I suspect is just going to be working in; bringing in hay, putting in the animals...Prep for winter, basically.

...What? Is there another festival? I feel like I haven't gotten a break.

A favor...I wonder if this was all part of his evil plot to get me to do work because he bought me some drinks.
    "Would you keep some cows on your farm for a few days. The reason's..."

We don't have room in our barn. Do me this favor and I'll give you something after I sell them for a good price."
    Well...I do like stuff. And I am just using space...
    "Yeah, OK. I can manage it."

"I won't, I won't..."
    None of my animals have ever been sick, after all... I mean, what could possibly stop me from taking care of them?
    Now that I've said that, something's going to happen, isn't it?

Anyway, I've got a lot of work ahead.

First task...Saying goodbye to the eggplants. Since I got interrupted in the middle of watering last night, I don't get the full last harvest.

Second task, bringing the animals insi....

I don't have my bell. I don't...Aaaaaggghhhh.
    Second task: needs more cow bell.

And say goodbye to the watering can for now.

Next up...

Pushing in the cows. I need to hurry; it's already past noon just between managing little Brown, who runs all over the place, and Clara, who's pregnant and moves very slowly...
    Bringing in Lambo isn't quick, either; he tends to roam to the furthest corner of the enclosure.

Fourth (I guess) task is bringing in the chickens...

But when I look at that, I realize I don't have the feed for tommorow or so on; I need to drop what I can to run and get some.
    Free-ranging: now with complicated consequences.
    I bring in the eggs and milk the cows, too.

Clara can't fit into her usual stall anymore... So I guess I'm lucky Grandpa thought of this sort of thing...
    She's got her own little space, with a lot of room for her to move and some hay for padding.

It's also handily labeled.

Anyway, now to dash to the ranch!

And check my mail. I guess Maria will be out and about next month for a while.
    ...I....I'm not good at dashing.

Take my money.

...Yeah, this'll last me a while.
    I love having money.

And *then* I bring in the chickens, as the sun begins to set...

And run into Harris on the mountain; I guess he just expects me to ask about his job now... But...I'm happy he volunteers that sort of information. People appreciating stuff that sounds incredibly dull...That's kind of interesting.

I want to save some ingredients for winter...And I also want to get some more lumber.

And I try and get a little of the fodder in, too.

But man, am I wiped. I just want to sleep forver...

But the results speak for themselves, I suppose.
    I'm getting a greenhouse.

Winter - 1 - xxx1

The first day of winter... The floor's so cold I kind of don't want to walk on it. I will have to add central heating to things about living in the civilized world I miss.

But maybe tommorow will be warmer?

When I walk outside....I find the whole farm coated in snow and frost. The door, the doghouse... It's a whitened wonderland.

Also, Mr. Green has a kid and a woman with him, for some reason.
    "Hello there?"

"Right, right...I won't." I look at the woman and child again.
    "And who are they?"

Wait, why did you suddenly go from talking about "cow" to "cows," plural? How many animals have you jammed into my barn?
    "And her son."

"Well, it's nice to meet you."

"You're welcome. Hey there, little guy."
    I crouch down by the kid, since, well, why not be nice...

But that's not happening.
    "He's a very shy boy. Don't worry," Mrs. Mana said.

Anyway, they walk off, and I want to go see the situation in my barn...
    But fate has other plans.

And by "fate," I mean a certain pretty girl.

"Special? What exactly do you mean by special?"
    "Special is special! Rare; unique! In the age of your children, such a thing might not be possible!"
    But...But... Cows.
    She leans forward and looks at me with her eyes gone as big and blue as they could possibly go...
    And it occurs to me that my life-plan of never saying no to a pretty face is going to cause some trouble for me.

"...Well, I guess I've got a little while."

"What's so special on the mountain?"
    "Is a surprise any good if you know what it is?"
    "Yes."
    "Well, not to me it isn't!"

She ran ahead of me along the mountain path, past the clearing with the Carpenter's house... The morning's still early, so people aren't running around yet. I...wasn't exactly prepared for the cold; I'm shaking like a leaf as we go.

"It should be just a little further now."

She pulled me into the bushes by the Goddess Spring, half out of sight. She looks excited, like a kid presented with the world's finest birthday cake. It's a vibrant, wild excitement that I tend to think of myself as incapable of...So it's something I envy.
    "Ok, now. What's --"

It?
    "...It's an animal, huh?" I whisper, with a knowing smirk.
    She nods.

We watch for a while, there in the bushes. Ann fidgets a bit next to me...

And a little figure hops slowly into the clearing; I barely notice the motion at first.
    But there it is, some sort of...Mouse? Rabbit? Thing. Kind of Chinchilla-ish, maybe?

It paces around. Beside me, Ann leans forward, enraptured. She shivers in the cold without realizing.

I guess she means she's cold. I reach out and drape an arm around her...Though will that really do much good? Her skin is goosepimpled from sitting in the snow.

I sigh and withdraw my arm.
    "Sorry, you just..." I think hard about what I want to say here, exactly. Because let's be honest... I reach out my arms and she backs away. I think I see something, she turns away. I mostly know what she feels, but at the same time...
    "You're just always kind of dancing away from me. I never really know what you want...Or what's really going on."

A silence stretches between us.
    "...Yeah, you've got a point there. I want to be honest; I mean, you deserve some honesty, right? I just... Ugh. When you get serious like this...It's kind of scary. I...I don't know what I want to say, and then I get angry I can't say it. It's all so dumb!"

The little animal perks up its ears, maybe hearing us.
    She falls silent and hopes it'll go back to normal.

She purses her lips and turns to hide the blush.
    "I-If you thought I liked you, or whatever... And I were totally barking up the wrong tree... You'd say something, right? You wouldn't laugh, or talk about it behind my back, or laugh and talk about it behind my back, right?"
    I nod. "I...Since we're being honest... I don't know what sort of tree you're barking up."
    Her honesty is rarer and more precious than any little wild thing. Her smile brighter and more common than the sunrise. If I knew what being honest meant... I could return that.
    But this is the best I can do.

"...Then...Maybe...You can put your arm around me. T-to be warm."
    I put my arm over her shoulder, as glad for the trust as much as the heat. She leans into my chest, and watches the little animal scurry about.
    We whisper about just little, conversational things; the cows her dad brought over, her brother, the horse races, Cliff and Cliffgard, if I've had pets before now (no.)
    Neither of us think about moving for a long time...

Until I realize it's sunset and the bunny hops away.

"...What even was that, anyway?"
    It was cute, though.

"I hope they live here forever."
    She blushes and smiles, trying not to turn away out of pride.
    "...Because it'll always be a memory of the day I spent with you."

We say goodbye after that... I feel like maybe I owe her that honesty, now.

Wait, what? I didn't want to...But somehow...I just ended up asleep...

Well, well, well....
    The time has come. While there's one event left to view per girl, I feel strongly that my narrative is better if I only show that event for the winning girl, at least in canon or semi-canon. (There's also an Ann-based event, but...That requires some set-up I haven't done, and basically cannot do until I resolve this, for reasons I'll explain...eh, maybe later. Maybe in a bonus or something. There's also all of Elli's year two stuff, but...That's year two. If she loses, we'll still scratch that surface, just not as much.)...
    "But what about Popuri's photo?" you ask? Well, you can see it regardless of her -- and your -- marital status, and anyway, it's pressed firmly against our deadline for marriage.

So in other words, it's WIFE VOTE!
    She will understandably be our choice for the winter festivals, and all remaining scenes relating to the girls I can get. And we will marry her, and all that jazz. This vote is final, no take-backsies...Though you can change your votes as often as you want between now and the deadline, I guess.

To maybe help you guys out, I will allow for two forms of "blind vote," in case you have no strong preference. If it doesn't help you out, don't even think about it. Pretend I'm not about to say words.

The first is Fox's Vote, which is both its own vote (that is, it adds +1 to the girl), and an option you can pile behind if you like. Fox's Vote is basically whatever girl has the highest affection value as of Winter 2nd. I've been talking to the girls a lot off-camera, especially after our birthday to keep things interesting, and we've seen two additional scenes worth a good many points. ...I have no idea which girl has the highest affection, since it's a very tight race, and I haven't been keeping good track of who I've spoken to since our birthday. When the voting closes, I load up the game and work Fox until he gets sick the next day, talking to no one along the way. Then, we see who comes to tend him, and that girl would be Fox's Vote.

You can also, if you're just interested in my feelings, Give Your Vote to Me, where I pick which girl I like best and/or most want to work with. You don't have to; I won't be upset. I just see this in some Something Awful LPs, and thought it may be a neat idea. You can also stack conditions (Like, I dunno, "Take my vote, as long as you don't use it for Karen." If my favorite was Karen, I'd give it to my second-favorite, or whatever), unless those conditions make it indistinguishable from a real vote.

Let's call the voting over this Friday evening, 5:00 PM Central US timezone. That'll be when I start writing the next chapter, with this objective in mind. When this choice makes itself clear in the narrative will vary a bit from girl to girl.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-03-05 at 12:56 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

26. - Top - End - #446
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

That's normal. Complaining about not knowing what to do forces you to think about what you're doing and it can sometimes jump start your creativity. Other times it just collapses into an endless spiral of self-pity. I'm glad you lucked out this time.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I've said it several times... My preferred bachelorette is Maria. Even more so with your writing. While the book you've got her writing would be somewhat too normal for what I like to see in childrens' books (there's so many books just like that already), the parallels between the story and her relationship with Fox would just make it too sad if it didn't have a happy ending.

I actually started a new runthrough of HM64, trying for more like a 100% run like you've been. I had a somewhat hard time getting Ann's affection high enough by the end of the first winter, since I went straight for chickens and then cows ASAP and so planted hardly any corn over the summer. I didn't realize she ate your whole day like that... When I got that scene, I had raised her to 200 affection at, like, 4:00, so I was able to get all of my chores for that day done.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote Karen.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

I vote for Maria. She's the best. As for rivals well I like Ann's, Grey's, and Karen's choice so I don't mind them losing. Could you hack the game so Elli just ends up alone?
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

30. - Top - End - #450
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I vote for Maria. She's the best. As for rivals well I like Ann's, Grey's, and Karen's choice so I don't mind them losing. Could you hack the game so Elli just ends up alone?
    We've already been told Elli being alone isn't an option :(

Do the right thing, vote for Elli to keep mr creepy pedo guy away, and let Harris be happy at the same time.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?