New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    ...Anyway, I mainly went with Clucky because Camilla, as it was, didn't fit.
    It's my attempts to administratively title everything in EU3 all over again - but instead of 17th Century German armies it's a chicken!
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Everything rests on this chicken.

Chapter 7: My Little Pony Horse: Gambling is Magic
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring - 15 - xxx1
    A rainy day. It falls pretty heavily, so the omnipresent sound of rain blocks out all else.

Hey you...uuhhhh...middle-aged man, get off my lawn!

"Nah, man, I'm just here for the night." In case he misses the sarcasm, "Yeah. I'm Fox."

"That's probably a lot of hard work. Let me introduce myself... I'm a botanist..."

"But I travel around a lot."
    Oh, so he's that guy, huh?...Though he does look like he's actually been travelling, and not just shacking up with wife #2: clothes are rumpled, there's dirt here and there...
    Am I seriously checking for evidence for or against cheating?

Dangit, now there's family stuff. On my lawn. But his face lights up like he's just been shown a big cake.

Wait a second.

He laughs warmly...He looks more like a real dad than my dad, actually.

...She totally looks like a kid when she makes that face. She's a pouty 6-year old...
    But he sets her down gently.
    "You've grown prettier, Popuri."
    This does not soothe her spirit.

"Wait, you didn't go see your wife right away?"
    Way to lose my trust-points, man.
    "Well...This was on the way. Anyway, I'm coming right now, Popuri!"
    He leaves the farm, and Popuri brightens right up.

"About plants, so ask him if you've got anything special you're working on!"

"Have a nice day!"
    ...This is just...so weird. Everyone seems really happy about him coming back. Don't they wonder where he goes?
    Am I just such a suspicious bastard that I don't trust a family to be happy if it's not totally normal?

Anyway, enough of that! I've got work to do. The turnips are in, so I go ahead and take care of those. I use the shipping bin in the coop, since I want to go and feed Clucky anyway. And ship the egg; the feed:egg ratio on her is really impressive.

And I've got mail!

"We'll accept applications on the 16th!
    - Green Farm News"

I glance over at my little horse, who's still got some growing to do.
    Yeah, that's not going to happen.

In the rain, the mountain seems so dark and quiet. But money and presents won't collect themselves, right?
    Anyway, I need new seeds, so that's my first stop in town.

"The flowers look like they're having so much fun!"
    "Fun?"
    "Yeah! To plants, who need moisture to live, getting some just out of the sky like that... It must be something really happy! Think of all the growing they'll do after today!"
    "That makes sense...Is it as fun for you?"
    "Not at all."

"No matter how much you trample them."
    This is not exactly true, but carry on.
    "I can't help loving them."
    "Did your wife put you in the dog house for not going to see her right away?"
    "I smoothed things over. I found some very nice flowers to give her... I have some seeds, so we may try selling them later. A man's got to be resilient."
    Like a plant, huh?

I try striking up a conversation with Lillia, but she's off in a blushy, giggly dreamland. I guess in the end, she's happy he's home.
    So I buy my seeds, put the money on the counter, and off I go.

With the rain, Maria won't be outside. With the library being closed, she won't be there...So...Her place?

"I'm not really off, but I wanted to thank you for the other day."
    "Oh, well... You don't have to, I mean, it was just a chocolate bar..." She looks at me and sees I'm being, well, not serious, but I'm not kidding, either. She smiles. "Y-you're welcome."

"Be careful! Don't go making that sort of mistake!"
    "My dog and horse don't seem to mind."
    "They're outdoor animals; they don't really mind anything. But your livestock is delicate of spirit!"
    "Alright, alright...I'll be careful, honest."

Anyway, nothing to do now but chores.

Every night like clockwork.

And not bad money, either.

Anyway, I finished most of a little chicken pen. I may make it a bit smaller later. Or expand it.
    I gathered up some more herbs, but there's not much to do when it's raining. So I guess it's time to sleep...

Spring - 16 - xxx1

It's sunny today, without a cloud in the sky...As the weather lady would put it.

Hay is for horses and for GET OFF MY LAWN!
    ...Oh, it's just the mayor.

"Sounds good."
    I do like to bet on some ponies on occaison.

I run into Karen in the mountains, surprisingly enough.

"The farm...That's really curious."
    "Why?"
    "It's just such a dumb thing to do; you don't seem the type."
    "Well, you know. The overalls look is just so me."
    She laughs.

I think she's warming up to me, actually.

"But growing them on your farm will make everyone very happy, I'm sure. It adds color and serenity."
    "I'm not sure I have money to spare on flower seeds right now..."
    "You poor thing..."
    There's no need for all of that...
    "There's no need for pity. I'm doing OK."

"Yeah, basically."

"It's a small building, isn't it?"
    Actually, it's about as big as my house...
    "Well, I think it's a great library."
    "You're just saying that..."
    "Maybe a bit. Maybe circulate the books with other libraries? You don't get more books, but the people reading the books will get more to read?"
    "That's a very good idea! I-I'll see what I can...ask other libraries..." She seems to have slowed down at that thought. I give her a thumb's up, flip through a book I'm working on, and go on my way.

Anyway, I finish my walking about town and head home. First up is caring for the chickens, so...

Que? There's... A baby chicken!

If that's the case, I'll put another egg in the incubator. Welcome to the world, little Camila.

..Stupid farm registry having such a small space for names.

Rather than waste money on feed, I elect to put the chickens outside in the pen.

Doing a bit more work on the farmland...And making navigation easier, too.

Now that, that right there... That's pretty good cash.

Spring - 17 - xxx1

My life is now an endless stream of guys on my lawn, isn't it?

"Yeah, she kinda does."
    The two of us stare awkwardly at each other for a minute.

Well, that was a thing.

Anyway, I'm off to the races!
    "I'll tell you how the course looks when I get home, Agros!"

I kind of expected more people... But it looks like there's gambling. A couple of girls I don't know -- out-of-towners, maybe? -- are holding a bag of chips and looking thoughtful.

"Well, you girls could always bet on me." I give them a nice smile. Opening with a cheesball line like that means you don't do an up-and-down look, or she'll think you're a totaly creep.
    They sort of grab me by the arms. I guess they're in the mood for a good time.
    "Alrighty, then! You help us do the shopping!"

"Alright, alright..."
    How am I gonna pay for 3 girls? I bet they're in the mood for a lot of bad,expensive food...

...And then I notice Maria watching me by her parents manning the desk. Ugh. This feeling... Is it... shame? Guilt?
    SAY IT AINT SO!!!!!

"Why don't you girls go on ahead, and I'll see you later? I...I gotta go talk to someone."
    I just... Don't want an innocent girl like Maria getting the wrong idea about me. Well, the right idea, the wrong moral framework for it. You know.
    I'll catch up later.

There's really no point in betting for the bottom two, but the others are such long shots I doubt they'll win...
    But I guess I'll buy some medals for now. My money'd be on Taraba, anyway.

In the rush of things, I kind of end up spending all my money. Or, I would have...
    If she actually took my money. Instead, she just gave me a gentle wink.
    "Maria talks a lot about you, you know. I'm glad my daughter's made a new friend."
    She says, casually.
    Corruption inherent in the system, huh? Well, as long as it works for me.

Once that sounds, I get pulled by the strange girls into a fenced in area to watch the races. I didn't even know it existed, but it looks like everyone's here...

"And the winners are... First Place Taraba, Seccond Place Brocco!"

Called it.

Now that I'm back here, I may as well see what people are up to. I see a couple of other out-of-towners, and some more familliar faces.

"What they were doing at the horse races. But they had cakes and drinks, so I figured it was a festival."
    "It's like one enough."
    "For us, maybe, but it's serious business for everyone else."

"Oh, yeah... I remember him."
    "Please cheer him on! I hope to see his brother do well when it's his turn, too."

I spot Gray sulking in a corner. He looks...At once more intense than I've ever seen him look, like he's completely drawn into watching them set up the horses before the race...
    And also, I dunno. Kind of sad. I'm not sure I've seen him look like that before.

"Agros is too young, remember?"
    He looks up.
    "Oh, you're...Yeah, yeah... I just got...A little distracted, is all."

I realize only after I walk away... That until I answered, he didn't even notice I was there.

They are like the most adorable old couple, I think.

"It makes watching all the more exciting, don't you think?"
    "Yeah, you're right."

Well, not if you've got a good sense of how the bookies stack things.

"Yup."

"Maybe next time, Kent."

"Man, what's with that face? You don't like your cousins' horse?"

"Unfortunately, the rider is..."
    "Who, Gray?"
    "Ha. I wish..."
    "Why isn't he racing, then?"
    "...I'm not sure it's my story to tell. Sorry, Fox."
    My mystery-loving nose is a-twitching. I guess I need to take the medicine for that.

The race looks much more interesting this time. Let's see...

Betting on the long shot.
    Maria's mother would be better at the spy game if she didn't wink every time.

And it's race time again.

Yes, yes! Stay ahead, you young gray mare!

YESSSSS! Medals in the....uhhh...medal-sack, I guess.

Awesomesauce.

Can you detect the obvious winner before the kids at home do?

But I don't have the heart to just accept the overdog like that.

Go pony! Blow them all a-freaking way!

Boo and yah, my friends! Like a pony boss!

"Please exchange your medals for prizes at the booths!"

"At the Horse Race and the Dog Race, so you can always save."
    "I'll keep that in mind..." Hm. I have a fair amount of medals...

"What's this carrot thing about?"
    "It keeps a horses's stamina up."
    "Yeah, OK. I'll take it." It'll be a present for Agros.

I've still got chores to do once I get home and...

Woah! The turnips came in and I didn't even see it! Good thing it's a festival day, so Zack's not picking up...

Well, I've had a long day, so I'm going to sleep like a rock.

Names for our next chicken, by the way? Nugget is still on the ballot, of course. And I take it I can start putting our money towards for things for a cow like brushes and grass and a cow?

Oh, and it's time for another... TYPO REPORT!

Spoiler
    Show

No typos here, but a glitch to explain how I did what I did this chapter. Specifically, the fact that gambling in this game has a wonderful and easily taken-advantage of glitch. If you make your bets, back out of the screen with B, and then not talk to anyone involved with medals or gambling... The game will still think you placed your bet, even you didn't pay for it, so you'll still get the rewards if you win. In this story, it has a reason, but in general, it's just an odd thing from the Harvest Moon 64 Twilight Zone.

Also, apparently I got myself a Sutaining Carrot. I'm hoping they had a character limit, but "Rushed for Christmas" is more likely.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-07-10 at 08:34 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nice update.

My vote is still on Nugget, I love it.

Also, some questions. Is it even possible to have your horse ready to race for the first race? Are the races annual, or by season? When does the dog race happen? Are the three prizes listed the only prizes you can get from betting on races, or can you also sell the tokens back for money? Is the sustaining carrot consumable, or a permanent upgrade for the horse? What are the benefits of the other prizes? Am I asking too many questions?

Sorry for being a pain.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Oh yes, start saving up for a brush and a cow.

And when you get the cow, name it...Whitny.

Nugget is a good chicken name...

But my vote for the one AFTER that goes to...Pidgey.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post

Also, some questions. Is it even possible to have your horse ready to race for the first race? Are the races annual, or by season? When does the dog race happen? Are the three prizes listed the only prizes you can get from betting on races, or can you also sell the tokens back for money? Is the sustaining carrot consumable, or a permanent upgrade for the horse? What are the benefits of the other prizes? Am I asking too many questions?

Sorry for being a pain.
    Oh, not at all! Questions are good. This LP needs to be enjoyable for e'rybody!

Ok, let's see...
    No. Your horse will not grow up until after your first race.
    There are two hoese races -- one in Spring, and one in fall, every year. The dog race is in Winter, and it has different prizes: including 500 Lumber! However, all horse races have the same prizes. Except the lumber from the dog race and the Sustaining carrot. It is a permanent effect, though I'm not entirely clear on what the effect is (I've heard, and it sounds plausible, that it means your horse runs out of stamina during the races less). The other prizes are just eye candy, except the 500 lumber.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-07-10 at 08:50 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Oh, not at all! Questions are good. This LP needs to be enjoyable for e'rybody!

Ok, let's see...
    No. Your horse will not grow up until after your first race.
    There are two hoese races -- one in Spring, and one in fall, every year. The dog race is in Winter, and it has different prizes: including 500 Lumber! However, all horse races have the same prizes. Except the lumber from the dog race and the Sustaining carrot. It is a permanent effect, though I'm not entirely clear on what the effect is (I've heard, and it sounds plausible, that it means your horse runs out of stamina during the races less). The other prizes are just eye candy, except the 500 lumber.
    Thanks for the answers! I was wondering why you didn't bet it all and get the barn, because that sounded like something useful, but I guess it's just for show.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I had done all the betting I could, and couldn't afford it...And it is just for show. It's exactly like the stable we have attached to our barn, but the roof is a different color. The stuffed horse sits in our house.
    We'll probably end up spending a lot of medals at the dog race for all that lumber. Because, dude. 500 lumber is pretty nice, and puts us within close distance of the lumber requirements for the greenhouse, AKA Best. Thing. Ever.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to just pop in and say that Ann's mouth in this picture:

Spoiler
    Show

It looks like she's got a hot dog bun in her mouth. And now I can't unsee it.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

I saw this thread a week or so ago, and it inspired me to get out HM64 myself. I had forgotten how addicting that game is... I just got into the second summer.

Chicken - Nugget sounds good to me.

Did you use save states to determine who the winner of the horse races would be, or did you just get outrageously lucky? I'm guessing the former. I usually just bet on every horse equally, though that's obviously less efficient if you're going for maximum medals.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    I saw this thread a week or so ago, and it inspired me to get out HM64 myself. I had forgotten how addicting that game is... I just got into the second summer.

Chicken - Nugget sounds good to me.

Did you use save states to determine who the winner of the horse races would be, or did you just get outrageously lucky? I'm guessing the former. I usually just bet on every horse equally, though that's obviously less efficient if you're going for maximum medals.
    There is an exploit that lets you bet on horses without actually paying for them. That way you can bet the max on all the horses and always win.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    There is an exploit that lets you bet on horses without actually paying for them. That way you can bet the max on all the horses and always win.
    I'm aware. The thing is, though, Deme bet only on the winning horse each time, and I'm wondering if she managed to pick the lucky one "legitimately" or not. Whether she actually paid for the bets she made is irrelevant to my question.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm guessing she bet on all the horses separately and only showed us the screenshots of the winning ones.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Basically. I save-stated a lot.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 8: Darnit, Fox. You used the title I wanted!
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring-18-xxx1

More rain, huh?
    Well, that's just how the cookie...crumbles? Is the rain good or bad?
    It means I'll have to bring in my chickens today, anyway.

Yet. Another. Guy. On. My. Lawn.
    ...I'd say that, but...He looks beat, sitting there with his head down like that.
    "You OK there?"

Hungry?....The guy looks, on closer inspection, like he hasn't eaten in a few days; he's probably just this side of starving.
    "Well, let's see if I've got something to help with that."

"It's just a mountain herb, so it probably won't do you much good...But here. Take it, at least."
    I think I'd feel too much like a heel to keep living if I didn't at least scrounge up this much for the poor guy, and...

Is that a bird? Sitting there, on the dog house, watching my every movement with its hungry eyes?
    Yes. Yes, this is what science would call... a giant freaking falcon!
    I think it's judging me.

I hand him the herb and he gobbles it down, tearing the plant to bits as he chews. I have never seen a man eat a plant like that.
    When he finishes, he stands back up.

"It really wasn't anything special..."
    "Don't undersell yourself."

"What were you doing half-dead on my lawn, Cliff?...And why is this bird glaring a hole into my skull?"
    Is it some sort of vulture, waiting for one of us to die?

Ack! It takes flight!

I'm hoping that's in the Australian sense there. Unless the bird is intelligent and communicative enough to give consent...In which case I need to hide from him.

"Wait a second! What were you doing on my..."

"...My lawn..."
    Nope, he's gone.

Anyway, the cabbages came in (yes!)...

But rather than tend to them right away, I need to bring the chickens in. I figure I'll keep the egg today; maybe give it to Elli, since she says she'd like some.

I spot Ann in the mountains, with a worried look on her face.
    "What'sa matter?...Hey, come to that...You said Cliffgard was racing, right? But he didn't actually race."
    "That's what I'm thinking about. We had to pull him at the last minute, since the jockey we hired didn't work out."
    She sighs.

I think...That this is what Rick was talking about. Do I press it? Do I present evidence (what, is my life an Ace Attorney game now?)
    ...Or...Seeing that sad and forlorn look when she thinks about her brother, the horse, and the races...
    Do I just leave it be?
    "I think...I'd given up hope."
    "I-I'm sorry, Ann."
    She laughs then, awkwardly.
    "Oops? I can't believe I said all that stuff out loud! Don't you worry, OK? Everything's fine, fine, fine!"
    She gives me a thumbs-up.
    "...Alright. But... If you have troubles, I don't mind listening."
    "Dummy! I just said everything's fine!"

And then there's this guy.

"Yeah; that's where you collapsed this morning."
    "Yeah, I thought it looked a little crop-filled for a forest. Anyway, that's great."
    "What, you a farm enthusiast?"
    "Nothing like that... It's more like..." He looks at me for a while and says, a little coldly, "Nevermind. Forget about it."

Anyway, it's town time!
    First up, more seeds.

"Really?" That unreliable guy?
    "She was born the day before the Flower Festival," How...oddly perfect.

"Long before she was even born <3."
    I guess whatever's up with him, he at least really loves his daughter.

The normal purchases, of course... Soon, I'll maybe think about another purchase from here, that's not so...Normal.

Anyway, next up, to the bakery.
    "Hey, Elli! I got a chicken recently, so I thought I'd...Give you an egg."
    That sounds so lame. SOOO LAAAAAME! All my mojo, taken out by a girl in an apron!\

But that cute and girlish smile...
    "...way to make pudding."
    She flies into a list of ingredients and steps, that business-like persona falling away as she admonishes me about being careful with the melted sugar for the sauce, as she mimes the crumbling motion for the pecans...

"That should be a simple enough explanation for an inexperienced baker, I think."
    She beams at me to make sure I've got all that.
    "...I...Guess?"
    Then she pulls back slightly, looking embaressed

"Yeah?"
    "Could you maybe...Let me have a taste when you're done? The flavor of something cooked for individual reasons... Is really special. I'd like to taste something you make like that."
    "But...I don't even have an oven."
    She blinks.
    "Alright! Then you'll have to use mine! Come on, Fox!"
    "But..."
    It's no use. She's tugging at me with such enthusiasm that I don't have a chance of resistance.
    "Elli, Mr. Fox has a busy day; he can't spend all day here."
    "Oh, alright... But come back one day and cook with me, alright?"
    "Sounds fine."

Anyway, after saying hello to Popuri, I head on out... And stop by Rick's store. All this talk of horses...
    Gave me a feeling like I wanted something for Agros.

"Like when you brush them."
    Thank you, Mr. Astute.

"Sounds fine."
    Fine like highway robbery!... But I'll pay.

"Old books deteriorate so rapidly."
    "So you can restore them? That's a really surprising skill, Maria."
    I don't even know how you'd do that...
    Maria blushes.
    "W-well...Books have a lot to give people. Happiness that can't be achieved in the real world, or knowledge, or laughter...M-maybe even a chance to make a new friend. I think it's important to know how to give back to books."
    Huh. That's kind of a sweet way of looking at it.

I head back home to handle the crops when I hear a bright little bell of a voice rings out over the farm.

Is that...Popuri? What does she want?

"Your energy!"
    "Huh? What's this about?"
    "I decided it wasn't any good for me to stand around waiting for you to think of ways to help...So I decided to help you myself."
    You know, other than Maria... I think she might be the first and only person to actually follow through on helping me out.

I really don't get it. Am I pathetic? What is it...That all these people try and help me? I don't need help. I don't need to go running to somebody else.
    "And...To thank you. When other people hear about the flowers I water in the road... They think I'm weird. 'Oh, Popuri's so weird.' 'Her eyes are like a rabbit's.' 'I think she wants to tear out my jugular....' They say things like that."
    ...Do...Do they really? Even that last one?
    "When you didn't, it made me really happy. You understand how pretty a flower can be, and you always come and say Hi, even if I'm not paying attention because there's a pretty butterfly over there."
    I had a feeling she wasn't always listening.

"I don't really do anything special."
    "Maybe not to normal people, but I'm not like that...So you're a special person to special people, Fox! That makes you...I dunno, like a king."
    "A king of specialness?"
    "Exactly! <3...And the king gets served tea, so drink up!"

It actually is a very sweet and fragrant tea... Knowing her family, it's probably a special herbal blend or something.

"Have a good day, your highness!"

...What a really odd...And kind of neat...girl.

"I don't think you have to worry about Popuri. She's a cute girl, after all."
    "...No, no, really, forget about it..."
    He waves me off, staring into his cup. I guess I thought the wrong thing was difficult...
    But it's true; I bet Popuri'll have no trouble hooking a guy. She'd have me if she wanted to.

"Hey, isn't everyone saying I look tired?"
    "You do, but it's a good sort of tired. Like you've put up a strong fight, and you're flying under your own power. It's...different from the sort of tired you see around here."
    She makes a point of turning and glaring at her dad.
    "Go tell him it's time to pay his tab, wouldja?"

"Sir, it's time to pay your tab...Karen says."
    Deflecting blame! Nice!

"You're on that farm...Zat right?"
    "Y-yessir!"

Like daughter, like father, I guess.

Anyway, I go home, finish my chores...

And give Agros a nice brushing before I go to bed. He seems to really like it, as predicted by the sage of obvious wisdom that is Rick.

Spring-19-xxx1

More rain. This is formally...Less than ideal.

More guys on my lawn!

"Not really...Is it coming up?"

"To the harvest. You can vote for the Goddess up until..."

Voting for the Goddess? What?

"Wait a second! What's all...this about...the goddess?"
    And he's gone. These people move fast.

Anyway, the potatoes are in...

And another little chick joins the family.
    She's a chicken, so I'll call her...

Yay, irony.

Now we've got 3 little puffballs running around. I think I'll hold off on incubating more until that's cleared.

SOMEONE. EXPLAIN. THIS FESTIVAL. TO ME!

"You think?"
    "They're a signal from the sky. But we're not sky-people, so we don't know. We're earth-people."
    "...Because you live in a cave?"
    "Because we're made to be like the earth. We're in a cave because we like it."
    "This we stuff again..."
    "Come inside and meet the others!"
    He pulls me through a small hole, where I find...

A couple of other little sprites. They get back to what they were doing pretty quick, though they at least spare me a wave.

When I climb out, Cliff's there.
    "Hey, you know, you forgot to say why you were on my farm."

"So that was just another place on my journey."
    Consider property boundries when you do that...
    "But when it got hard to walk, I really just followed Cain. I guess he spotted the clearing from the air."

I toss in my potato. No one better to figure out this goddess festival than the goddess.

"Info. They say they're voting for a goddess?" What, is Goddess an elected position like president, now?
    "Oh, yes, that's right! For my effigy! One of the local village girls is chosen to act in the festival in my stead, and dressed in a special gown, to dance with my king."
    "Oh, so it's not some weird thing where they replace you."
    "Well, a bit. I used to attend myself...But that was a long time ago. Things were very different then."
    "Different?"
    "In today's complex and realistic world of infinite shipping-bins and hermaphrodite chickens...It's hard to say if there's a place for something as absurd as a goddess."
    She sighs.
    "Of course there is!"
    "Oh, I'm just teasing <3."
    Somehow, I feel like she's lying.
    "Anyway, have fun! Dance with a pretty girl!"

Well...Into town I go...
    "Hey, Popuri. Thanks for yesterday. That tea was really nice."
    "Thank you! It's my own special blend. I just go walking through the hothouse and the mountains...And I add in anything that calls to me!"
    ...You know, if I didn't think she knows enough about plants... I'd be really worried.

Anyway, I buy my potato seeds and...

Some grass for fodder.

It's like they're demanding my money or my life over here...

Anyway, I make my small-talk with Elli, and it's off to the library. May's here today...

"Oh, you're Zack's daughter?"
    "You know my daddy?"
    "He's my buyer."
    She beams.
    "C-could you...tell him I said hi, next time you see him?"
    "Of course."
    I know she could tell him herself... But I'll toss in the extra hi.

...What is this, ominous family worries episode?

With not many other chores to do, I go up into the mountains for more gathering...
    And I finish up a small addition to my pen, for the grass for a cow one day.

Anyway, off to the bar!
    "Heya. How's the rain?"
    "Miserable."

"Hey, Zack. May said to say she said Hi."
    "Did she, then?" He laughs, but there's a hint of...Meloncholy to it. "Well, I'll have to return the thought if she's still awake when I get home."

Well, I guess none of this stuff's my business. I'm going to bed.

So...Who's our vote for Goddess? I will say we don't want to vote Maria, since I want to dance with her for points (sorry, guys. You can pick who we dance with in the fall, and who we dance with forever later... If you really disagree, we can dance with someone else and I'll music-box the points back), and unless her affection is *very* high or you're the king, you can't dance with the goddess-girl. All other girls are open, though. Basically, all that happens is you get a special line of dialogue and you see the girl in a new dress and hairstyle for the day.

Also, Cain. Heck yeah. Cliff's traditionally my favorite rival (but Harris and Gray have their places in my hearts, too <3) And part of that is Cain, who doesn't exist in any other game with Cliff in it.
    This is why the Mineral Town versions of these characters stick. Among others.

Also, it's time for another...
    Typo Report!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Typo report!
    ...Actually, the first one is an error on my part. You see... Some character never reveal their names. Others do so only at a certain affection point.

I forgot Elli is the latter, and had her introduce herself. I remembered Karen's self-introduction, which is why I've gone to some pains to keep Fox from using it in front of her.
    To prevent this. If you're wondering, this is what follows that "Fox, uhh..." in-game.

Your/you're mix-ups. Just a little bit of "rushed for Christmas" spirit.

LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

15. - Top - End - #105

GnomeWizardGuy

Why does Cliff have a crab monster on his head?

Are you aiming to marry Fox off to any girl in particular, or keeping the options open? I can't remember how the voting for Goddess goes - is there a chance everyone else votes for someone else? How much influence does Fox's vote have?

16. - Top - End - #106

Right now I'd go with Popuri or Elli for the vote, given Maria's off the table. Popuri seems to make more narrative sense, but I'll admit I like Elli so far.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

I'm letting you guys choose who we marry when the time comes. IE, after Ann's picture, probably in Spring of next year if all goes well with Maria. That way we can spend the winter events getting serious with our future bride.

...I'm not sure about goddess voting. Usually, the girl you vote for wins. I have had it not work out. I do not know what controls this...But I will save-state for all of you until what you wish happens.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

18. - Top - End - #108

I vote for Popuri. She is clearly the best choice for Goddess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Popuri makes the most sense for Harvest Goddess. The Goddess herself has green hair, which is a weird and inhuman hair color, while Popuri has pink hair, which is a weird and inhuman hair color, therefore Popuri is most like the Goddess. Perfect logic

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Definitely Poupuri for Harvest Goddess.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground

Another good update. Great writing! One bit I particularly liked was when he told Karen's father to pay the bill. I also laughed at the "Yay irony" joke and the part about Popuri not always paying attention when people talk to her. Playing up Eli's baking ability was good too. Everyone is very likable so far. Except possibly the elf and the rivals. Darn you rivals, trying to stop Fox's harem ending!

I also vote for Popuri but mainly because of the father. I don't know about anyone else but I just had this feeling that he's going around telling people about the Festival to get them to vote for her.

I'm kinda surprised that wasn't played up in the conversation when he told Fox about the Festival.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-07-17 at 02:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Mainly because I've never thought about it that way. I figured he was telling people because he was in charge of supplying all the flowers and he does business there and so on, but I like this idea. XD
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 9: So fast. Yay horse.

Spoiler
    Show

Spring - 20 - xxx1

Finally, some sun! Tommorow. Well, you know what they say...
    The sun'll come out, tommorow! Bet your bottom dollar that...

Hey, screw that Orphan stuff, I got turnips!

Hm. Special flower seeds? Well, they'd be pretty...But I'm not sure what else.

Anyway, mountain-stuff is about normal today. Same-old, same-old.
    "I like the Spring."

"Yeah, I could see that being the case."
    There's too many reasons for it not to be, right?

"It makes me feel blue. It just makes me sleepy, and then I don't feel like doing all the stuff I plan on doing..."
    "Who cares if you slack off sometimes?" I mean, I've spent most of my life slacking with nary a regret in the world.
    "No one but me...But my care is enough. I mean, I can always curl up with a magazine, but that feels so useless."
    "To each their own, I guess...But...Don't be hard on yourself if you don't always do everything, I mean. It sounds like you do enough work as-is."
    She smiled.
    "Thanks. That's a big help."

[b]"You make the decision!
    Hmmm...Well, how does one pick a goddess? I could pick at random, I could pick based on hotness...Oh, but I don't get to dance with her because I'm not king, right?
    ...But....
    Well, it is around her birthday, right? So this seems like the obvious choice, ordained by fate.

Anyway, I finish my drenched run about town and end up by the Green Ranch's barn...
    When I notice Gray in the barn, a gloomier-than-normal look on his face. And, you know, I could just let him stew. I could say he deserves whatever private world of misery he's in for hinted-at reasons that are none of my business.

I could.
    No one would even care...
    But still... I keep thinking about what Ann said. 'I had given up hope.' If that's anything like what he feels... Well, I guess I know a thing or two about giving up hope. Wasn't that what I'd been doing, day after day? Sitting in that office someone else earned, living a life someone else wanted me to live... There felt like there was no way out.
    Until there was one, out of the blue. I definately lost hope.

"Hey, man." Now that I'd started that, though, I admit...I have nothing else to say. I totally don't know how to rally the spirits of a dude! "Keep on...uuhhh....Keeping on, I guess?"

There was mutual confused staring.
    "Let's pretend I didn't say anything."
    "...Yeah."

Anyway, nothing really happened for the rest of the day...

Though I did see Karen at the bar.
    "Another rainy day...Those grapes are bound to be miserable, if they don't like bad weather."
    "Everything here's miserable." She snapped, in more the direction of her dad than the direction I was in. I looked in Kai's direction, asking with my eyes if they'd had another fight. He nodded and shrugged.
    "Oh, come on, everything?"
    "Well, you know. Not everything, I guess, but...The land, the rules, the boredom. There's nothing to do here, and everyone wants to keep you down."
    "Not everyone. I'm rooting for you."
    She turns away, but she at least smiles.

I spend my evening fishing at the beach...

And I even actually catch some fish!
    ...And call it a night.

Spring - 21 -xx1

After a few days of rain, waking up without it is nice.
    Anyway, there's not much to say about today. It's actually the most ordinary day I think I've ever experienced.

Though I do run into Kent's brother...Stu, I think, while I'm in that side of town.
    "You're that farmer Kent's been talking about, right?"
    "That's right."

"Nice to meet you, Stu. You can call me Bro, too." I guess. It works well enough for Kent, and he nods.

I find Karen at the beach.

I introduce myself when she asks, and when she does...I grin.
    "Yeah, I know. I...Heard it around, somewhere."
    Everywhere. Everyone introduced you except you.
    "You...Well, anyway. It looks like you're sticking around."
    "Yeah, I am."

"Nah, just out gossip-mongering."
    I figure if she wants me to know why she's here today, she'll tell me.
    "I'm here delivering grass seeds."
    See? Pretty simple.
    "I bet they go through a lot."
    "A lot of it gets eaten...But it's just time for some expansion, I guess. Spring is a time for growth -- everything gets bigger and stronger! So do things here... But I guess you're like a spring, too."
    "..." What? Let me parse that a bit... "So you think things are growing because I'm around?"
    "It's my theory." She smiles brightly.

I haven't done anything, so I'm not sure I believe it... But I'm not in the habit of telling girls they're wrong. So...Whatever, I guess. Shrug and go about my day.

...But I was thinking...Tonight, maybe I'll...Well, I guess I'll test her goddess-ness.

Whaddyaknow? It looks like I can get some more of these, after all. Space-time is my plaything.

Spring - 22 - xx1

Popuri? What now?

Oh, that?
    "...Are you guys, like, in charge of it or something?"
    "Kind of! It's a religious thing, but the flowers are the most important part...So of course our florist shop needs to take charge. It's a big merchant event as well."
    Aaaaah. Trying to get money turnout?...Nah, I'm not sure I'd believe that from Popuri.
    Maybe her folks. But not Popuri.
    "I'm so excited!"
    There was something about Popuri today...Something...Something...
    Well, I'll remember it later.

"Nah, no time...But I did go fishing the other night."
    She nods.
    "It's better to fish in the morning, but I guess you need to do things at your own pace."
    "Yeah. But I'll keep it up when I can."
    "Good. I'll be sure to tell you some fish stories, sometime."

There's something on the tip of my brain...Something...

"That's it!"
    Thank you, Lillia! Now I just got to hope a flower's a good enough gift.
    ...Wait, this is Popuri. Duh.

"Here, Popuri. Happy birthday!"

"The delicacy of this blossom...You never settle for anything less than a fresh bloom. It's a wildflower, so it doesn't know ordinary feelings of the flowers in town... To someone who's never done anything amazing, it's a really beautiful flower. <3"
    I suppose.
    "I don't think someone needs to do something amazing... If you can, though, it's probably better to do something without compromise. That's the feeling I've had."
    Yeah. This is definately better than that earlier life.

"Where do you keep getting these, anyway?"
    "...Just little windfalls."
    Magic. The answer appears to be magic, but that'd blow your science-brain.
    "Well, I'll fix it up."

Ann noticed it right away, of course.
    "You buried it when you were a kid? That's an odd thing to do."
    "You didn't ever bury hidden treasure?"
    I wonder who this actually was for, originally...
    "Well, I always dug my treasures back up!...I guess I was impatient. I wanted the satisfaction of digging up old treasure, but I didn't really want it to be old... But I guess you forgot about it, huh?"
    ...Something like that. But I won't admit it!
    She winds it up with a faint smile.

"Why don't you keep it?"

"Yeah. I don't have much truck with music boxes."

I head home and start shipping right away.
    "Fox?"

"Hey, Maria. What's up?"

Another little treat? She shouldn't have...

"I-it's my day off, and I thought...M-maybe we c-could have a.... l-late lunch together."
    "Sure, I don't mind."
    I mean, I sort of haven't been eating lunch regularly.
    She brings out some rice-balls she made and portions them out, three apiece.

I eat mine pretty much in one gulp. They're pretty well-made, with a little sour plum inside. We lean against the side of the shipping bin while she eats hers, carefully nibbling at it.
    "..."
    She blushes pretty intensely, and is so nervous that she's forgetting to say anything. Which is silly. Sure, this isn't the library, but we're still friends, aren't we?
    "So, how goes that book exchange idea?"
    "I-I'm still working on it. Um. The part where I ask them, I mean..." She blushes harder.
    She looks away.
    "Take your time. Just work a little courage into it every day." It's dumb advice, but it's what I have. She nods and finishes.
    "S-see you...tommorow?"
    "Maria...It's really OK. You can eat lunch with me anytime, or whatever. We're pals; we don't always need to just think about books together."
    "W-well, I...Uh...O...ok."
    She offers me a wan little smile.
    "Goodbye."
    Maybe it's the wrong thing to do, but...I want her to be uncomfortable like this more often. I want to see her grow out of that discomfort. That's what I felt as I watched her walk away.

Anyway, back to work.

...What? Someone else?

Lunch and dessert? Score!

I gotta admit...I'm not the sort of guy who feels like waiting for the sugar to melt away; I end up crunching it between my teeth.
    "I had the rest of the pack earlier; I was thining about treasure earlier, though...That's the sort of thing I'd bury."
    "So I guess it's good you dug them up before they went bad, huh?" I feel like candy should be able to go bad, anyway. Or at least melty.
    "I guess! So here's some of my treasure, for some of yours!"

"Seeya."

Well, since I don't get any other visitors, I get to enjoy a night on the town.

"I can relax."
    "Relax?"
    "Yeah. Like not worry about people. People in small towns don't usually like strangers."
    "A whole bunch of them didn't like me, so maybe I just softened 'em up for you."
    "Eh, it's a different sort of dislike here. It's like a fist. They'll punch you... But they won't turn on you."
    His mouth is a grim line.
    "What do you mean by that?"

He shakes his head.
    "Don't worry about it."
    He stares into his cup for a good long time.

"Heya, Karen."
    "Hey. How's work?"
    "Good."
    "I'm surprised."

"How do you know that?"
    "Oh, that...I've seen you working when I happen by your farm."
    When do you happen by my farm? I can't even see the road from it!
    She turns away when she catches my stare.
    "It's no big deal; just happenstance."
    Oh, really? Well, unless she's got a sculpture of me in her basement made of turnips I've shipped, I'm not sure I care if she stops by to see-but-not-speak-to-me. Sometimes.

Well, that's all for tonight.

Spring - 23 - xxx1

And it's visitation day on my lawn, I see.

Wow. Agro sure has gotten big...And...Saddled? Who do I talk to about stealth tacking?

"Maybe, Kent. I'm not too sure of myself as a rider."
    "You should! I bet you'd be awesome!" He paused. "Oh, yeah! Ann said she was coming to see, too."
    I see. It's a parade today.

"You should ride him sometimes. He'll like that."
    I bet he can clear the farm way faster than I can.
    "Alright, Ann. Who do I have to thank for the tack?"
    "Consider it on the house. Begrudging complements of my brother."
    "...Your brother?"
    "Well, he made an extra-angry grunt when your name came up at dinner last night. So I think he's been thinking about you."
    Good to know

I'M RIDING A HORSE! LOOKIT ME GO SO FAST.

I GOT TWO ADULT CHICKENS!

Time to put away an egg.

I basically ride Agro through my chores; he gets me around faster than I usually move.
    ..But I don't trust him on these roads, so I leave him at the entrance to the farm.

And head to the festival!

"Cool. So I just wander around until then, huh?"
    The mayor nods.

Really? Sounds odd to me.

"But keep that a secret, because boys aren't s'posedta like stuff like that."
    "Hey, now. A real man can like whatever he wants...Standing by what you like is what makes you a man, alright?"
    I guess I've been a pretty poor man up until now, then.
    But he gives me a nod, allowing me to keep my hypocrosy a secret.

This guy is just dripping in BS. I can almost garuntee you he's a fraud. I've done just enough slimy things to recognize real slime.
    "You gain power when you eat it, and it's 100% natural!"
    "But is it organic, sustainable, and gluten-free?"
    It's time....To BS keyword d-d-d-duel!
    "It's whatever you want it to be, buddy."

And then I get a look at it, in the pocket of his jacket. It looks...It looks like the fruit the Harvest Goddess gave me.
    ...Is it really...?
    "Sure." I'll take that gamble.

It tastes the same...

And I really do think I feel stronger than before.
    But I still would not trust this guy further than my dog could throw him.

"Are seeds I've found in faraway places; the climate's simmilar, so they're sure to grow up a storm here! Try planting some."

"I'll pass this year, you two. But I'll buy what I can next time."
    They offer warm smiles, anyway.
    "Well, it's worth a shot. After all my going around, attendence is still pretty low..."
    "Now, dear. You did your best...It just might be time to pack up this old festival."

Well, now I feel like a terrible person, and I'm actually here!

I do that on an at-least weekly basis. She makes hashbrowns. It's lost a bit of wonder.

"Can I put disembodied souls in them?" And trade them to a creepy guy?
    "...No. Why would you think that?"
    "Well, you never know."
    "They're not tested for spirits, but you can keep all manner of liquids in one."
    "So I can put water from the sacred grove to go around the world healing magic tree saplings in a sidequest with a time limit?"
    "Where do you keep getting these ideas?"
    "I just think it's all worth a shot!"

"For that price? Sure!"

I'm hoping I can find booze and use it like a flask. That's my only wish.

Huh. That's an oddly-specific folk legend. Well, anyway, I'll be sure to get some flowers.

I sort of just mill around chatting for a while, until...

The girls start coming out.

And there comes Popuri in a pretty pink dress. She doesn't much resemble the Goddess, but her face is lit up with pride and joy, the flowers braided flawlessly into her long hair.
    I wink, and she courtseys.

"I've always wanted to wear this...It's always been someone older."
    She doesn't turn away, but instead twirls slightly so I can see the flow of her skirt as she moves. The smell of the flowers surrounds her, and the petals of her necklace all seem to turn to face her; she's as radiant as the sun, like the bride of flowers.
    "It looks good, Popuri."

"It's not what I've dreamed, but then...I'm not sure you can really sew flowers like I imagined, either... But... It really makes me feel special."
    "Spare a flower for me, Oh noble Goddess?"
    "Of course, your highness, king of the strange people."
    She takes a flower from her hair, lifts up my hat (in spite of a protest; no one touches that hat!) and puts a flower under it.
    "I guess it's time to choose a partner."

"It's a good excuse to drink."
    "They don't have any drinks here, though."
    "I know, right? Luckily, I've planned ahead!"
    She shows me a little flask in her vest. Of course. Clever girl.

"...Uhhh..Thanks, Ann."
    "Give me a break! I'm no good at girly festivals like this!"

"I wonder if she has a real name."
    Come to that, I guess I never asked. I protest her wishes for a basic goddess-worshipper thing, but...
    I don't protest that hard.
    "I wonder. Names were a thing humans gave to animals, right? So maybe that's a special thing for humans."
    "Maybe."

Nice. Official. Easy...Hmm...How do I get around that? After all, if I just let her hide where it's safe, it'll be lunch all over again. A little courage, every day...

"Fox, come here."

"Gotcha, Mr. Mayor."
    Well, that answers my question as to something to throw Maria off her guard a bit. Pleasant off-guard, not scary off-guard.

But how do I...? If I were just hitting on her, this'd be easy. I have, like, sixty lines for dancing. You are listening to the king of groove.

Yeah. Nice and direct.
    "Wanna dance, Maria?"
    "W-w-well, I, um, you know, with the...I...I'm not very..." I wait for this babbling to form a coherent sentance. "I-I guess...If that's alright."

It's a light, twirly sort of thing; not real intense partnering, but as she turns around and around, I get to see...Someone being knocked pleasantly out of their routine -- pulled out, like a heroine in a fairytale. She looks...radiant. Not the best dancer, but she beams into her turns and her dark braid sways about and frames her face. I think I hear a little nervous giggle, lost somewhere in the music.
    Just for today, I'm prince charming. I'm actually a little surprised.

But boy, do I sure miss real dancing.

Last edited by Deme; 2012-07-24 at 12:00 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Another great update as always.

Though I have to ask: Why is Popuri dancing with the old dude with the Fu Manchu 'stash?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by Keld Denar
    What can I say? When life gives you lemons, you BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH YOUR LAZER BEAMS!
    Avatar by the wonderful A Rainy Knight.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    Another great update as always.

Though I have to ask: Why is Popuri dancing with the old dude with the Fu Manchu 'stash?
    'Cause he's the Harvest King. Chosen at last year's festival that you didn't get to vote on.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

So you say if we become the harvest king, we could dance with the goddess?

Hmm...*plot plot*

Oh! Also, good update, and greeeeat way to end the update too.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trobby View Post
    So you say if we become the harvest king, we could dance with the goddess?
    Yeah, but unfortunately it's somewhat annoying to manipulate yourself into being harvest king; it's decided the day before the day the festival at which the king is chosen takes place. So, if you want to manipulate it, you have to play a full day and a half every time. Maybe you can do it better with save states, but I don't think so.

I've always liked the dance music. It's very upbeat.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

But I will do it. I will do it for you guys. (also for photos).

Also, yes. King gets to dance with the goddess, and go up in the big balloon with a person of his choice. Of course, next year our affection levels with the ladies will be high enough that the king will let us dace with the goddess anyways. But that's a different concern.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

29. - Top - End - #119

Just realized I never responded here, so I wanted to say great update, I'm eagerly awaiting the next one.

Out of curiosity, how does it work that Harvest King is voted for a year in advance, but it's determined in the day before the festival? This confused me.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

It's determined a day (or so) before a different festival, which takes place later in the year. The king is the king through the next year's worth of festivals.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)