New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

I was going to show it off this update...But when I actually found her at the vineyard (which is uncommon enough to begin with), I realized.... I had forgotten my bottle, which I definately wanted to show off a use for. Facepalm. I will start carrying it around forever now.

I've mostly just been waiting to really do much of that sidequest for a time when content is thinner on the ground, or, basically, somewhen this summer. It's a pretty short thing in terms of actual events.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-06 at 03:47 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Huh. Karen actually has facial expressions besides arrogant smirking. Whaddya know?

Also, the game's been teasing us about the vineyard quite a bit now. Is there any reason you haven't gone there yet? Is it just an efficiency thing, or do you need some prerequisites first? (Raise your approval with Karen? Convince the sprites to show you a secret back door? Kill the Harvest King and steal his Double Jump Boots?)
    Probably a matter of saving time. The only people you'll find there regularly are Kai, Karen's mother and Karen's father. There's not much reason to go out there.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I vote Maria.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

How can you forget Clucky's name? It's the best name. When I play I just name the first Clucky then the rest Cluck2 and so on. I also don't understand why fox doesn't want to eat Fillet. Why wouldn't Fox like eating delicious fried chicken?

I'm surprised that you forgot to bring the bottle is the reason why we haven't done this bottle... thing you want to show before doing the vineyard. Don't you save every day? If getting the best game possible is as important as you claim then why aren't you saving a lot so you can redo a day to make sure you get all need to do in it?

I liked the Karen music box dialogue. She had new facial expressions in it and I was surprised that she knew the song. I really was amused by the creepy salesperson. I loved the line, "everything about this guy's logic is wrong". Although, considering that the first sale of that berry was a good buy, it would have been reasonable for Fox to have been duped. After all, the berry for 1,000 gp seems like a scam too.

Honest to god, reading your retelling makes it seem like the characters have so much more dialogue then they do when playing. No seeing the same text pop over and over again, heh.

I didn't get the joke about the man who was fishing instead of drinking tea, what was the punchline he was "supposed" to have used?

Another thing, get more work done in the field, the place looks awful still!

For my vote, I go with Karen, I like Karen to begin with but I more importantly, with the vineyard event, we got a whole Karen arc going on and since the event falls around this time, I think taking her to the fireworks could tie into that.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't replay the day (I do save-state every night, and sometimes throughout the day) because things were going unusually well that day, and by the time I noticed I didn't have the bottle when I went to see if Karen, by some mystical chance, would be where I needed her to be... It was too late in the day for me to run and get the bottle. If I resetted, I'd have to go back to the previous night. And risk her not being there. Which has a better chance of happening than not, because Karen's code for where she shows up exists to cause you suffering.

Ooooorr... Given that the tail end of this event-chain is a good ways off no matter what I do, and won't get farther away by my waiting, I could come back another day, with my save-states prepped and my bottle equipped and all that jazz. Maybe a day when I didn't have to go running to Rick, too. Like I had originally planned, before going to see where Karen was that day.

I only even considered doing my little tour at that time because, well...Here's my thought process. "Ok, I'll save-state now (note: at this point, running back to the house for the bottle would take too much time away) to see where she is, since I can't talk to any other girl while I'm holding this thing, and don't want to waste time running around...Holy shoot, she's actually at the first place I looked? Hot dog! Hey, come to that, I've been meaning to do a bit at the vineyard, now'd be a great... *checks inventory*...Well, fudge. Oh, well. It'll keep; even if I only do one developement there per chapter, I'll have a lot of dead air on this front between now and the resolution."

...You know, as much as I appreciate audience participation and feedback and so on...I'm going to have to point out that language like "If getting the best game possible is as important as you claim" feels really disrespectful and puts me on the defensive, and I don't like that feeling. I'm doing a goofy little LP to make people happy and share a game I love, not to feel interrogated. I'm doing the best I can to keep myself happy and write what I feel I want to write.

((Also, the line Jeff could have used, but juuuust avoided, was that he was here to Fish and Drink Tea, and he's all out of Tea.))
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll throw in another vote for Maria.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by Keld Denar
    What can I say? When life gives you lemons, you BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH YOUR LAZER BEAMS!
    Avatar by the wonderful A Rainy Knight.

7. - Top - End - #157

But you are not JUST doing a goofy little LP. You made the specific point that you ALSO wanted it to be the best game you ever have done and then you further stated that are so anxious over it that you get anxious when you feel that you are not doing as well as you could and you even do calculations based on some sort of HM chart.

I don't care if it's the best game you ever played or if you make it a goofy little LP instead.

I certainly don't care if you give the bottle to Karen on a certain day or not.

I'm just asking because your explination for it seemed inconsistent with what you wanted, which was the best playthrough ever. You haven't had any issues before now about answering questions about your gameplay style. I had no reason to think you would this time either.

I think it says more about your perception then it does mine if you feel that my asking about a flub that you felt was important enough to comment on is disrespectful or not. You didn't HAVE to state that the lack of a bottle was the only reason you didn't do that scene and, furthermore, you made it seem like a big deal that you forgot it.

I feel upset that a question I asked because I was confused is taken in such a negative light when I was genuinely trying to understand your thinking. You've been really open so far and I had no reason to think that this question would bother you. I certainly wasn't trying to insult your story. I've already stated as to being a fan.

I don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry I didn't phrase it better? In retrospect, I suppose using that wording made it come across more accusatory then needed. I'm not sorry for asking though. If you say something that seems inconsistent with other stuff that comes up people are going to wonder about it.

I think you are being oversensitive but I'll try to be more careful in the future. I might fail since I didn't expect you getting like this in the first place but I will try.

Also, thanks for the explanation, I had no idea that Karen's appearance was so random that she didn't even appear in the same place if you reset the day. That was extremely surprising.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-08-07 at 01:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    ~snip~
    If I may interject, for the sake of mediation?

Tone does not carry very well over text. Messages posted online need to be worded careful, or typically accompanied by a smiley or two in order to fully shown the tone and meaning of the message. Sometimes, innocently worded statements or questions can come off as being rude or sarcastic.

If Deme misinterpreted some of what you said and meant, then it's just a miscommunication. Not a personal attack on you. I will admit, I also misunderstood the tone of your original message, and shared Deme's concern. Again, it is nothing personal, just a slight miscommunication.

Really, it's no reason for you to get offended or anything. Things like this are typically quite easy to clarify and work out.

However... I personally think you're a bit out of line with part of your recent post. If you don't want to apologize, that's fine and dandy. But...

I think you are being oversensitive but I'll try to be more careful in the future. I might fail since I didn't expect you getting like this in the first place but I will try.
    That's just uncalled for, dude. Calling her oversensitive over a simple misunderstanding is unfair, and a little mean. Saying that you will try to do better but probably fail because you didn't expert her "getting like this" is a bit rude, because it comes off as sarcastic and ignorant of her feelings. It could also possibly be interpreted as an attack on her.

You might not have meant it to come off as rude and stuff, but due to the whole "loss of context and tone" thing I mentioned, that section of your post could very easily be seen as such. You may want to pick your words more carefully next time...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Please, relax. I'm not really mad; I don't know if you know this, but your post came off as somewhat defensive and abrasive, and judging by Lycan's response, I'm not alone in thinking that.

I didn't think I was being inconsistant, because I don't feel like I made it sound that my flub was a big deal -- my response was facepalm and to say we've got oodles of time and that I have been delaying things on purpose, not reset (I would have reset in case of a serious error) -- see how things you say don't always communicate well? You read it and got a totally different tone than the one I meant, and for that, I apologize.

Which brings us to the thing:

I love answering questions and hearing feedback. It's actually one of my favorite things: provided that they're respectful and non-redundant questions, ones that respect that I am telling this story and playing this game and have every right to do so in the way I wish. I didn't feel you were doing that because of your wording, and only asked that you'd word things with a bit more consideration for me in the future.

I apologize if that's a little bit rougher-sounding than I want, but I've sort of been agonizing over this since I woke up (I'm no good at resolving misunderstanding-based disagreements). Thank you for reading and enjoying, and sorry for the mix-up. I hope this won't do us any harm.

Please do keep asking questions.

(Also, thanks for voting for Karen. Being the lone person voting for someone is a bit of lonely work, but somehow deeply gratifying for me to see.)
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-08 at 07:28 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you're doing a great job Deme. Looking forward to the next update.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

You know...Karen seems like she needs the love a little bit more this season....so go watch the fireworks with her.

We will work out Fox's two-timing later. <.< I mean, She seems like...I dunno, a kindred spirit?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trobby View Post
    You know...Karen seems like she needs the love a little bit more this season....so go watch the fireworks with her.

We will work out Fox's two-timing later. <.< I mean, She seems like...I dunno, a kindred spirit?
    Meh, the only thing I get from her is that she has daddy issues. I guess that's something that Fox can relate to and help with, but I just haven't seen a lot of appeal there yet.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

There's also the fact that they are both wistfully wishing that they could have a life other than the one they've got. Fox has since gotten into a life that is his own, but Karen is a few steps behind him on that.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

While I try not to step in in defense of characters I'm writing too much, I do feel also the need to add...That the sort of thing Fox liked about his old life (and there were things that made him relatively happy there) are also things Karen is dreaming of -- in terms of understanding Fox's life and values (and visa versa), Karen's probably the closest.

Characters like Maria and Popuri speak to much more hidden sides of Fox, and characters like Elli and Ann speak more to the situation and life he's found himself in now, but there are definately bits of him only Karen of the girls could really get and keep pace with. How well this comes across at this relatively early stage of their relationship may be debatable (as well as how much that should come across), but I'm talking about the characters in a more abstract sense. I'm obeying dating-sim law: the more time we spend with a character, the deeper we'll see them.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-08 at 10:09 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

15. - Top - End - #165

If you want to boil down each girl to a characteristic that is easy enough.

We got a bookworm, a chef, a wierdo, an animal lover and a trouble child.

However, such trite characteristics can't sum up these girls. For instance, Karen also has GREAT HAIR!

Common, look at it! It's long, loose, shiny and blond. This is why Elli will never become the wife. No man would ever want to marry someone with such a short haircut like that!

What? You need more? Man, some people are hard to please.

Well, she's not rebellious just to be contrary, it's not like she hates her dad. She loves him but she just doesn't want him to tie her down. Totally understandable.

Honestly, I think people tend to get along a little too well in this town. A good story needs a little conflict and all the other girls are completely lacking in that aspect.

On top of that, what challenges are the other girls trying to overcome? Does anyone else have any deep problems that Fox can possibly help with? We've been getting hints that all is not well for Karen's farm. Seems her family has fallen on hard times. Mystery is afoot. What is it all about?

She has a dream to go to the big city. Since Fox is from such a place, this gives the two a certain dynamic. Karen's dream is more relatable to Fox then, for instance, wanting to become a master chef. He can become something of a mentor to help her decide if leaving is the best choice. Anyone else, he wouldn't really have a clue in how to advise them.

She likes to drink wine, the only girl that seems to have an interest in alcohol. Big plus factor! Okay, I admit I don't drink but Fox does!

She starts off as a slightly mysterious figure. All the other girls, save Maria perhaps, jump on in to open up around Fox. She gets an air of mystery to her with the way she starts off giving him cold shoulder and then warms up later on.

She seems like the girl with the most wit about her. Every girl has her area of expertise but she seems like she can handle herself in social situations a bit better. Which makes sense, as a tavern wench waitress, she'd have to deal with difficult people the most often. Plus, I like her snarky attitude. Although Popuri is my favorite to talk to. You never know what pink hair is going to say next.

On top of that, we are trying to get into this fun story event about her vineyard. She's got an arc coming up so I would like to put a stronger focus on her character for the next in-game week and see what new things pop up.

So lets get some more votes for Karen to be Fox's date for the event!

Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-08-09 at 05:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm going to vote for Elli purely because of her hair.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-08-09 at 05:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote Karen all the way because I remember her being hard mode back when I played the game cause you had such a time limit and her schedule was so erratic.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Trobby View Post
    We will work out Fox's two-timing later. <.<
    Karen vs Maria in a love triangle? Okay, you've convinced me. I'm voting for Karen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

That's good, since I've started playing and planning the day so I can get the right invitation, and I've been assuming it's Karen.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    However, such trite characteristics can't sum up these girls. For instance, Karen also has GREAT HAIR!

Common, look at it! It's long, loose, shiny and blond. This is why Elli will never become the wife. No man would ever want to marry someone with such a short haircut like that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I'm going to vote for Elli purely because of her hair.
    hah, glad I'm not totally alone there.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

I like Elli's haircut as well...

Chapter 12: Someone Left the Cake Out in the Rain
    Spoiler
    Show

Summer - 1 - xxx1

Rainy day tommorow...That could be better, but at least I don't need to spend all day bringing the chickens in.

I'll put in another egg in the incubator. I guess I'll need to start thinking of names...

Advertisements.

More advertisements. I guess mail never really changes.

I find Maria up in the mountains today.
    "Heya. Insect-watching on your time off?"
    She nods warmly.

"It really makes it a wonderful place to look at them...And I do believe they're some of the most fascinating creatures in the world."
    "Yeah...Though I kind of like it better when they're neat out here as opposed to being neat in my space."
    "Well, I guess you have your territory, too, Fox." She laughs.

"Oh, yeah?"
    "It's hot. Everything wilts. Things...Can go bad."
    "Can go bad?"
    "Well, there are droughts. That sort of thing."
    "Yeah, I could see why that might bug nature-spirit types."

And I also spot Karen, too. She has sort of an annoyed, worried look. I'm guessing...Now might not be the best time for a tour. *sigh*
    "What's on your mind?"
    She knows I get...Total disasters. Living your life in the slow sorrow of watching stuff fall apart, ect.

"In her marriage. I mean, she could have been somebody, but she married a rough jerk who drinks too much whose claim to existence is running a ruin. And...She's not happy now."
    "Yeah, but...She made her choice; she probably realized your dad drinks too much when she married him, right? She might be unhappy, but...It's no good jumping to conclusions about the lives of others, right?"
    "He didn't always..."
    "What was that?"
    "D-don't worry so much, OK? It'll freeze your face...But...Thanks. For worrying a little."
    "Eh, us daddy-issue types have to look out for each other." I say with a laugh.
    "Yeah, but we'll have to compare notes sometime, to be sure!"

Well, at least she seems in a better mood.

I go into town and make some purchases:

2 Tomatoes, which she says can be harvested multiple times if I take care of them...

And 2 Corn, which she says take longer to grow, but can also be harvested multiple times.

I also find Popuri reminiscing to the little plants growing next to the shop.
    "I planted you the day before the flower festival, which means you've got the same birthday as me, you know..."
    "I do know."
    "Oh, hi, Fox! I was just telling them a story about when I was born."
    "There's a story to it?" Well, I guess there could be...I ended up called Fox because my mom was pretty zonked out at the time...

"That the whole village celebrated and the Spring Goddess blessed my birth."
    "Do you think she did?" I mean, she may have. I could ask.
    "I do...That my soul, which loves to see things alive and growing, that loves blossoms, could be welcomed into the world when the flowers are... I think that's a blessing."
    She closes her eyes and smiles serenely. When she says things like that, the image that it's easy to get of her -- of some bubblegum girl -- just slides gently away, and I think I see someone who has some very beautiful ideas, delivered casually as popping bubblegum.

I also say hi to Elli's Granny as I go by, too.

"Summer's an easy season for a young man to get overworked in... I do make a very good Walnut cake with the wild nuts, so please, drop by if you need a snack."
    I totally see the family connection there.
    "I will, I will."

While I'm heading out towards the Ranch, I see Cliff there again.
    "Here to watch the animals again?"
    "Yeah, I came to see the horses. They've got a very free look to them, don't they? I kind of admire that in horses."

"At me..."
    I look over the fence, to where Ann is glancing over her shoulder at us. Then she looks at us some more. Then she blushes. Then she turns away with an annoyed look on her face.

I stroll on over.
    "Something up, Ann?"
    "What? No, don't be stupid...H-hey, how's Agro doing?"
    "Oh, Agro's doing great, Ann. I worry after him sometimes, but he's a very good ride."
    "W-well, when you ride a horse, you come to understand a lot about each other. I bet Agro's learning what kind of guy you are, too."
    "I see. And what sort of things do you think he's learning?"
    "How should I know? You're not riding me." The double entendre takes a moment to sink in for her; I'm already smirking slightly, getting ready for a 'we could change that, if you like' quip...
    "I didn't mean it like that, you perv!" She shouts. Grey looks over and cracks his nuckles.

"I-I wasn't implying anything! I knew what you meant, Ann, honest!"
    I'm going to pretend she never said anything, and then maybe an angry cowboy won't beat me up. Ee-yup.

I get back to the farm and begin planting seeds when I hear...

"Heya, Karen."
    I saunter up.

"I wanted to thank you...For earlier, and stuff like that."
    "Isn't this taking away resources?"
    "These came in too early; there aren't enough to make wine with right now."
    "Ah, so it's actually very clever waste disposal."
    "If you want to look at yourself like that, be my guest." We both chuckle a bit at that.
    "But really, I guess it's my turn to say thanks."

Omnomnom. They're pretty sour -- but I think if Fox complains of sour grapes, I'd just become a walking cliche, right?

"So they're supposed to be full of sugar."
    She shrugs with the air of someone writing off another dissappointment.
    "Anyway, t-there was one other thing..."
    "Yeah?"
    "Did you know about tonight and..."

"No, no I did not." No one even told me there *was* a firework display! Did they want me to miss explosions ascending into the heavens?
    Those heathens...But, now that I'm done my trip to conspiracy-town, time to tune back into Karen.
    "I'm going to watch them from the beach. It's a good place because..."

"Yeah, sure, I'd love to...But won't I kill the good deserted-mojo?"
    "You're...An exception. If you're coming, show up before Midnight."

I finish up my chores with the crops, and since I handled the chickens in the morning, that means I'm almost done...

Except that maybe I want more music boxes involved.

It's getting into the night when I'm done, so I need to go running down the hill to the beach. Geography must hate me -- who puts a beach in running distance of the mountains, huh?
    But when I arrive, Karen's still waiting there, letting the tide strike against the toes of her boots. She turns when she hears my feet.

She sounds a little surprised, but her surprise gives way to a big smile, full of warmth.
    "I'm glad."
    I stand beside her and scan the sky again; nothing yet, though I kept expecting to hear the booms on my way here.
    "I don't really like crowds,"

"One-step-above-loneliness Fox, that's my name."
    She laughs
    "I didn't mean it like *That*, you know." She blushed and looked away, a coy smile on her face. "I just thought...I'd want some company this year."

Then the light show starts. I make appropriate oohing and aaahing sound as Karen gasps in authentic surprise for each one. They're an impressive display, and the lights that flare up seem to tint the world in flashes of blue and red and yellow.

Beside me, Karen lights up with a big smile. She's generally snarky or just trying to smile, or else honestly lost in her worries. This smile, bright and clear, totally without reserve...
    Is something I want to see on her face more often.

"For a long time...Hey, are there displays like this in the city you're from?"
    "Yeah, they had them every year in the summer... But I never really went, not since I was a kid. It was a family thing."
    "So this is the first time in a while for both of us...In my teenage years, I sort of fell out of the habit of all that hokey festival stuff."

"..I can picture that."
    "But I think now it's better to focus on getting out, doing what I want...Live the dream! I want a happy, successful life; I won't let this place break me."

She crouches down and looks out over the water.

But I'm watching the reflections of those reflections -- the bright play of the ocean lights on that bottomless green.
    "Yes, it is."

After a few more minutes, the fireworks die away. She sighs.

She looks embarassed, which is...A little startling. I couldn't picture her looking shy like that until, well, she is.
    "L-little sparklers, that sort of thing..."

"Sure. It's not quite fireworks without sparklers, right?"

It's really such a nostalgic feeling, playing with sparklers.

"I was just thinking that...Hey, I bet I can write my name with the smoke."
    "Well, duh! It's like, 3 letters long!

We mess around like that for a while, even after all the lights go out.

Summer - 2 - xxx1

In the rain, most of my morning chores are taken care of in advance...So my morning has a clean schedule, more or less.
    I go, pick up one of those mountain walnuts Mrs. Ellen mentioned and some other stuff...

And headed into town.

"It feels damp like a tropical rain forest."
    "It feels damp because it's raining. Anyway, wouldn't you like a rain forest? There are a lot of neat plants."
    "But the humidity's so nasty...And Daddy brings home enough tropical plants and sketches that I can see them here, in peace, without my hair become a giant cloud of cotton-candy frizz that threatens to devour my skull!"
    "I wasn't aware hair had such destructive power," I reply, snarking a bit. She nods, though, so I guess she doesn't notice -- or she's playing along.
    "It's a daily battle. But I will prevail, so don't you worry! You don't have to face the terrible nightmare that is my head on a warm, wet morning."

...Good to know, I guess.

"You mentioned something like that on a rainy day a while back...But I bet warm cookies would be nice on a rainy day."
    "Are you just saying that so you can get free cookies?"
    "...Maybe." I'm actually more of a muffin man....
    "Well, we'll just see then..."

Oh, right, it's closed because of the summer...
    I guess she'd be at her house, right?
    Which, it turns out, she is. We chat a bit, nothing fancy.

"Hey, Mr. Mayor."
    "How's your farm been? Clearing it must be hard work."
    I've really barely worked on getting rid of the rocks.

"Yeah...It seems like it. He wasn't doing too well towards the end, was he?"
    "He wasn't...But he lived a proud life, and I'm sure you're making him proud, too."

I find Harris on my way to the ranch. Neither rain nor sleet nor gloom of night shall ...blahblahblah.
    "Hey, Harris. The mail's not getting wet, is it?"

We nod and say our goodbyes.

...But then I realized that the whole ranch is closed, so I can't find Ann. Pity.

And come home to Elli. I guess she figured something fun to do was to deal with me.

"I was looking through some recipe books when I saw something I hadn't tried before...It's strawberry meringue."
    "Wow, really?" That sounds pretty fancy for free.
    "It's really too fragile for sale, but I wanted to try it... As nice as a cookie would be, an experiment is more fun."

I glance at her, where she's taking her own slice out of a basket, so we can taste it together.

The meringue is deliciously crisp, and while the whole thing lends itself to cool more than the heat you want on a rainy day, the delicate flavor is unquestionably worth the exchange.
    "It's more of a springtime flavor, but the summer's young, right?"
    "The Summer could never be too old for that. That's amazing."
    "R-really? Granny's sometimes a tough critic about my baking...I know she wants to make me better, but it makes it hard to tell how well I'm doing."
    "Well, you can always come share things with me, and I'll say how great you're doing."[/color]
    She nods, a big blushing smile on her face.

"Ok, Elli."
    I will miss that cake. It was a brief and fleeting defense against the darkness...

I go fishing at the beach later in the night...

And come up with a nice little fish. Very cool.

Summer - 3 - xxx1

A bright and sunny day; I can actually get most of my crop-watering done in the morning, which is...Pretty shocking, I guess. I'm not used to it.
    I sort of expect to find Maria in the mountains, but exactly where is a surprise...

I find her in the same clearing as the Goddess's pond. I remember the Goddess saying she used to come here, but hasn't in a long time. I wonder if I can bring it up...
    "Hey, Maria. I wasn't expecting to see you here."
    "I haven't been back here in a long time... But I think I used to visit a place like this when I was little. I'd sit and I'd bring a book, and my fingers and the edges of the book would get all wet from playing in the stream..."
    Something about that image, of an ancient book with wet-edged pages leaps into my mind. The pages developed a sort of scratchy quality when they dried... Did I do that with her, or did we have the same idea when I was here for the summer?
    A gentle sight escapes her lips.

"So why here today?"
    "I dunno. I just felt...Drawn out here. I like it, though."
    "I see..."

I feel like...
    Like there was someone splashing me, back then. The Goddess? Maria? It's a strange memory....
    Bubbles...And the silver surface of the water...

I go and see Rick, who's starting to give me weird looks when I come in with a music box, and I get that done.

And I decide to go see what Elli thinks about it. When I show it to her, like everyone but maybe Maria, she winds it up and lets the music play.

That is what makes a sound nice, yes...
    "It's kind of beat-up, but a little tune-up managed to get it playing again."
    "I like things that have been places; something old like this...It makes the whole room feel warmer and more homey...I guess I sort of believe in good spirits building in an object over time...Though maybe not literally."
    "You like it? It's yours."
    She looks taken aback.
    "Really? For me?"

I can dig a seemingly infinite number out of the ground. So....No.
    "It's fine."

To see a face like that on a girl...Heh. Maybe it is full of good spirits.

While I'm in the area...
    "Here, Ma'am. I've been finding these in the mountains, and I remember you saying you've got a use.

"That walnut cake. It's a personal recipe, but I think you can do it. It's easy because you don't have to whisk."

Gray approaches me while I'm visiting Ann at the ranch.

"...Uhhhh..." If I say 'Ann,' will I be allowed to walk away with my legs intact?
    "Animals?"

"Well, I wanted to look at them closer... I mean, I'm planning on getting a cow of my own when I can afford it."
    "... They like being outside... You'll need some grass to eat, since you don't have time to bring them in and out all the time."
    ...Wow. This is the longest I've heard him talk for.
    "T-thank you very much!"
    "...Stop looking like I'm going to snap your neck or something..." He clicks his tongue in irritation and limps off. Yeah, that's the word for his walk: it's got just a bit of a limp to it.

And I come home to find...Another grown-up chicken!
    I bring all the adults out.

I run into Karen at the bar. She sort of turns away, blushing...Which makes me desperate for conversation.
    "You said that the grapes you gave me were early..How early we talking?" Is that a topic?

"Then mash and store it in barrels. We do a lot of reds...You can start drinking it around Winter."
    "Wow, that's short."
    She sighs.
    "The wine we make can't be stored for..."

"I don't know why; it just goes wrong. Grandma's wine was so amazing..."
    She sighs and looks into the cup she was carrying...

"You know, that reminds me..." The bartender calls out from behind the bar. "I nearly forgot it, but...Well, this is private, so come back here and we'll talk, Fox."
    I do what he says. He unearths from a cabinet beneath the bar a bottle of a red wine. The dark and dusty bottle catches the light, reflecting the green sheen of its glass onto the both of us.
    "This is for you -- a momento, of sort."
    "...What?"
    "Your...

"Really?...Why didn't he leave it in the house?"
    "He gave it to me a long time before...the end. One night, after your visit, he came to me, put the bottle down and said...
    'I can't work out what to do about this, Duke... I don't think I can. That boy of mine won't do it, no one here'll do it... Give this to my little Fox one day. I leave it to him.'
    He was pretty drunk at the time, but...He never took it back. He wanted you to have it from this day until the day he died."

What did he mean, what to do about it? About the wine? Karen says it's different from the wine her family makes now... It just looks like wine to me.
    But I take it...I'll try to figure out what he means. I won't let you down, Grandpa.

"Ha. A young man like that, taking everything so seriously... That blows into a town like this like a new breeze off of the sea. Stirs everything up."

I spend the rest of my night logging, trying to build up a lumber reserve.

So, some votes!
    #1: What should we name our chicken? I'll go with Billy if there's no concensus.
    #2: We are almost to a cow. If not in the next update, then within the next 3. A cow, you guys!...And that means we need to start thinking of names for her.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-11 at 08:42 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

22. - Top - End - #172

Elli's grandma bakes for us? One more point for Elli! Unrelated note: that gold font is nearly impossible to read, please change it.

The firework thing with Karen has me warming up to her some, I'll admit. Though I'd still rank her at #3 overall, it's more of "I like Elli and Maria better" than "I actively think this character is annoying". The thing about the wine business not being right seems interesting as well, interested in how that plays out.

"Door to Heaven" good wine name, or best wine name?

Billy seems like as good a chicken name as any. For the Cow, we could either follow the chicken food theme and call her Patty, or pick a random name.

23. - Top - End - #173

Hmm, a surprising amount of Elli hair love... Well, it's not terrible. I mean, it's not like it's a Pixie cut hairstyle that has become so inexplicitly fashionable of late and I will admit that she looked surprisingly cute in the panels where she tilted her head in this update but I'll stand firm in saying that long hair just looks better then boyish style cuts and that her hair style is my least favorite of the 5.

Deme, I see you tried to make Karen's writing smaller at one point using "size 1" option. That doesn't work. Size 1 is the normal size, unfortunately.

some thoughts on the update.

-Did Maria always wander around so much? We never used to see her outside.
    -After reading the bit about bubble gum I looked up when it was invented. 1928, cars were invented before bubble gum...
    -Granny's text is a little too bright yellow. Maybe a darker tone? I like the use of different colors for spoken bits and don't mind if it's hard to read but that color might be a bit too hard.
    -I was particularly interested in the Ann conversation since there wasn't a single picture worth of in-game text used to base the conversation on. Very unusual. Didn't even mention Cliff in it either. Also, slightly more adult then the series has been so far. Aren't babies made from potions, instead of "mounting"? Yet, still managed to sound like stuff Ann would say. I liked how flustered she was. Good job.
    -Complaining about being a walking cliche if he complained about sour grapes was a good line and got a laugh from me.
    -I'm curious as to what made Karen the one that asked you out that night. I also enjoyed the scene, it was a good heart to heart talk.
    -Muffin man joke was okay but who is Fox trying to fool? Cookies are the nom!
    -Hmm, another note about the Goddess/Maria connection. Who is more in tune with Goddess, I wonder? Maria or Popori?
    -Mystery deepens about the wine event. I think the build up is going well for that.

On to the questions.

How about "Fox Jr"? He's like the son Fox never had, because he's a chicken instead.

Also, I always name my cow Bella. It's a good cow name.

24. - Top - End - #174

This font has no modification

This font is size 1
    This font is size 2
    This font is size 3

Looks like default font size is 2, size 1 is smaller. The reason it didn't work was because of the size code in the update being slightly messed up.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2012-08-11 at 08:32 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Changed Ellen's font. I'm hoping it doesn't look too much like Kent's.

Glad Karen meshes with you better here, Seerow!

Also, GOSHDARNITALLTOAFESTERINGPITINTHEBOWELSOFAHELL-BOUNDJABBERWOCKY! size=1 always used to give me a smaller font, and now I cannot figure out how to get a smaller font. STUPID, STUPID INTERFACE! I KNOW YOU HAVE SMALLER THAN STANDARD, WHY DON'T YOU SHOW IT?!
    Edit: Or that. Yeah, that works.

Anyway, as to some questions...
    I think it's been mentioned, but the Library is closed on the 1st-10th of Summer and Winter. Thus explaining Maria's newly-odd schedule.

There weren't any lines for that Ann scene because...Well... The screenshot didn't come out right. It was all black, so I replicated her line (about riding a horse) in text. That wasn't a cutscene, so that's why it didn't mention Cliff -- Ann's programming had no way of reading Cliff's bytes to know he was there. Now, with the power of creativity, she's just being tsundere at the both of us. Which is, I think, something Ann would do.
    Also, cow babies are made with potions...But I'm assuming that's just their form of aritificial insemination, as opposed to the normal method, which humans still practice.

The rest will be answered...In due time. Or never. Whatever I feel like and/or remember.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-11 at 08:35 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

26. - Top - End - #176

Wait cows reproduce from potions? And chickens reproduce asexually.... I shudder to think how horses multiply.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

I personally just hold that there are bulls out there somewhere, but we don't bother (except in the games where we do), and artificially fertilize them with handy potions for that purpose. I mean, the Japanese name for the Miracle Potion translates literally to "Cow Seed."
    ...Now, perhaps, we can end all discussion of cow reproduction.

People and dogs seem to require two parents, at least. Which leads me to the conclusion that chickens are just freaks.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-11 at 08:52 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Heh...I kind of hope Ann and Clint get together. They are so cute.

As for a chicken...well you know what my vote is already. I feel like making another vote would be kinda silly.

For a cow though...hmm, it's too bad it isn't a pig, or I'd suggest calling it "Ganon". We don't get pigs, right?

Well...then I vote Clara. As in short for Clarabelle the Cow.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179

So random question unrelated to the Let's Play, if I wanted to try a game from the Harvest Moon series myself, any recommendations on where to start? I'd prefer a handheld version of the game (I noticed a whole crapton of them available for the DS, as well as a few for GB/GBA), but if there's one for a console that's a better intro to the series I'm open to suggestions.

fwiw I'd like to avoid HM64 because I'm enjoying this Let's Play as someone with no experience with the game.

30. - Top - End - #180

I vote for "Abunga" as the cow's name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.