New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Redwing Privateers (IC)

The smell. It is inescapable, omnipresent, and clings like an invisible beast, here at the port. It is the smell of fish, low-tide, poor sanitation, and too many people in too small of place. This is the city of Lilt. The docks jut out into the water, piercing into the clear blue water like filth-encrusted spikes, and the city spills backwards from it, climbing the hills. The buildings at the tops of the hills are those of the rich merchants and the Republic's representatives. Down in the valleys, and towards the port, the buildings become more crammed together, and grow taller. This is where you have found yourself, hanging around the docks. Luckily, an opportunity has come for you. This past week, recruiters from the Redwing were looking for the best these docks had to offer. You were one of the ones who was chosen. Today is the day you reported for duty on the privateer ship. The Redwing is before you. It is not the largest ship, but a fast one. The angled sails and raked lines give it an appearance of being in motion even here in port. The bow mounted ballista and ram lend an aura of fearsomeness. A man stands at the top of the gangplank. The red sash around his waist gives him away as a crew member, and the enormous curling mustache identifies him as Captain Lewes. He has a reputation as rake, but his abilities are widely respected. Beside him stands an elf, dressed in ship's clothing but with clerical accoutrements. The dock crew works quickly, hauling crates and casks onto the ship. The seagulls scream, and the crowd murmurs. The day is hot, and the wind blowing in from the sea only serves to make it more humid. It took a lot for you to get here, and it is here you will find fortune and adventure.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Redwing Privateers (IC)

Hanak wipes his brow, sweat beading on his face.
    "This place has reek. Reek is never good. Dead fish have reek. Red tides have reek," he looks about, still uncomfortable in urban environments since leaving his tribe for his world-wide spirit quest.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Rodrigo smirks, and takes a deep breath, not even phased by the stench.
    "Make the most of it, Witch Doctor. We might not see land for a while, so we may as well enjoy it while we can..."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Pete pauses before the gangplank, drinking in the sight of the ship. Smiling, he comments, "You may want to take a good look at the ship as well, as we aren't likely to get another dockside view of it anytime soon - if we're lucky."
    eez good day to make boom, yes? - docktor boom

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think I prefer sea. At least sea's god gives warnings instead of reek," Hanak runs his hands up and down his voodoo doll.

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Versvesh steps up proudly to the dock, chest out and grim-faced, though a persistent grin keeps tugging at the side of his lips, twitching one of his tusks weirdly. It's been a great day. He found his long-lost brother, freed him from a hellish life, and is about to step out into a world of adventure. Versvesh couldn't deny that this may be the best day of his life.

"Hamrin," I say, trying to sound impressive, "behold the Redwing and the brave Captain Lewes. Our new lives begin here." His awkwardly concealed grin bursts forth at last as he clasps Hamrin's shoulder. "Free air and open waters!" He laughs merrily, a weird grunting sound for those unaccustomed to seeing a happy orc.

He clears his throat and struggles to reshape his grim-faced facade. Unsure of how to proceed, he looks to the other new recruits and tries to mimic their behavior.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Eyeing the hills in the distance with great disdain, Silas approaches the gang plank; shifting his attention to his new crew mates.

"It shall be grand to sail with you all."

He rests his right arm at his hip and appears pleased.

He murmurs to himself Finally, returning to the seas again.
    Last edited by xyzombie; 2012-05-10 at 08:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hamrin doesn't know what to expect Versvesh seems exited but Hamrin feels like venturing into the great unknown might be kinda weird. instinctively he agrees with Versvesh Yes, new lives. I like free air.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Peering down at you from the ship, Captain Lewes yells out, "Ah, my fine and faithful crew! You are granted permission to come aboard. Grab a red sash from Lyn here, tie it on, and prepare to cast off. We've had word of an enemy ship trying to make a sneak through the islands. It'll be an easy prey, but they've a head start and a favorable wind."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

"As you wish, Captain. Let's take them down!"
    Rodrigo boards the ship, taking a sash and tying it across one shoulder.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes Sir!"
    Pete hurries up the gangplank and takes a sash from Lyn with a nod. After we're settled, I should see if there is additional material for a headband; maybe something for my avian friend.
    Securing his new red accessory Pete tosses his baggage pack into an unused corner and helps to prepare to cast off (take 10 on profession (sailor) for a result of 11).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Hanak shrugs and climbs aboard the ship, graciously accepting the red sash as a symbol of his allegiance to the seas and the ship. A coral snake, black and white stripes allowing it to hide in his headress, twists down around his arm, looking about the ship and taking in new scents.

He's surprised that the first thing he'll be doing the ship is expediting somebody's death, but pirates are as much a danger of the ocean as coral reefs or giant squids.

(Recaiden) He lives!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Silas walks aboard and accepts a red sash.

"Thanks Cap, let's catch those sneaky bastards!"

He ties the sash around neck like a scarf, and joins his fellow crew mates.

After observing his new team, Silas declares "This certainly is a diverse crew, but I have faith we'll be more than able to blow them out of the waters!"
    Last edited by xyzombie; 2012-05-11 at 03:42 PM.
    Current Character
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=397901

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Hamrin walks up and takes a sash he ties it on and asks What next?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Versvesh receives the red sash with a deferential bow. "It'sh an honor to sherve, Capt'n Lewesh! You are highly thought of by my mashter, the bronzshe dragon who guardsh theshe watersh, Thurirlekeshlingshthyr" He offers a toothy grin and ties the sash around his waist, assuming that his words were as high a complement as he could give, and then struts onto the deck, looking positively pleased.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Looking pleased with the new crew, and seeing that all the supplies are stowed aboard, Captain Lewes gives the order. "Draw in the gangplank and raise the sails! We sail out with night breeze!"
    The departure goes smoothly, and the Redwing sails out of port. A few hours later, dinner is called for. As it is the first night out of port, the meal is sumptuous, with both fresh meat and vegetables. The captain stands and speaks "Now, we have somewhat of a decision to make. Our target, the Fresia, is making her way through the islands. We need to decide how to take her. We can come from behind her, and overtake her. We're faster, and more maneuverable. She might have too much of a start on us though, and we'll never catch her. We could come around the front then, but if we're wrong about where she is, she'll make it to the open seas without us catching sight. So, what say you?."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Hanak stands to speak.
    "Sea-mother shares her secrets with me. If I ask nice, she will show the way?"

(Recaiden) He lives!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Hamrin gets into the water beside the boat and looks around.
    Spot: (1d20-2)[16]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Pete rubs his nonexistant beard and speaks, "My instinct is to ambush it as it makes its way to the ocean. It may require a bit of luck, but trying to chase it down isn't without its risks either - we could lose the trail, be blown off course, or simply by coming at them from behind give them more opportunity to try something sneaky or evasive. While my preference is a frontal attack, I am not particularly opposed to a chase."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Experienshe hash taught me the virtue of pashienche. I shay it'sh shafer to rely on our shpeed to catch them, than to rishk loshing them on the open sheas. It shoundsh like a higher rishk to try to head them off for the benefit of a quicker catch and the catching them off guard. Beshides... I shay let them shee ush coming! It will shtrike fear in their heartsh! And while the Redwing ish engaging the Freshia, my brother and I can shwim aboard and shabotage the ship."

Versvesh gestures to Hamrin while explaining this.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

"I agree about the sneak-attack plot, no hiding my love of ambush. If they get that far out at sea, we may have many more risk factors than just the Fresia, and although either plan leaves this as a possibility, if they saw us, we'd only be stacking the odds against us" Silas says with a grin, agreeing with his comrades.
    Current Character
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=397901

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Pete takes in the opinions, then looks thoughtfully around, his gaze settling on Rodrigo, "You look as if you've been on a ship before - any thoughts?"
    Last edited by The Squirrel; 2012-05-15 at 04:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

The captain nods and twirls his mustache. "I see more votes for an ambush. I'd like to take them with as little risk as possible. I do liek your plan, Vervesh, of sneaking on. Those of you accustomed to the water could attack from the sea while they're looking at Redwing. Hanak, cast your magic and let us know what the ocean tells you. Let us work out where best to catch them."

Spoiler
    Show
    I need profession (sailor) rolls from everyone. If you have knowledge (geography), that would work too.

Hamrin
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is nothing much to see, simply the sandy bottom and some fish. Some men throw down a rope to help you climb back up.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Pete studies the charts available. "If I were them and trying to make it to the open sea, this could be a decent route - if so, we should strike them here," he says pointing a finger.
    Know: geography (1d20+3)[13]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Hamrin will try to stab a fish before climbing back onto the ship.
    Attack:[roll]1d20+9[/roll] (I haven't applied the penalties for fighting underwater because I don't know where to find them)

Sailor: (1d20+3)[13]
    Last edited by GnomeGninjas; 2012-05-15 at 07:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Last roll didn't work.
    (1d20+9)[24]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+7)[13]

Hanak holds off on using his ties to the sea for now, waiting until the moment he truly needs Mother Sea. He'd hate to bother her too much.

(Recaiden) He lives!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Versvesh nods and studies the charts to the best of his ability. Less travelled than the rest of the crew, he prefers to remain silent here and learn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Profession Sailor: (1d20+1)[2]
    Know Geo not trained (I have ranks in Nature, through. )
    Intelligence Check: (1d20+1)[12]
    Aura (Senses) to Listen and Learn: (1d20+2)[10]
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Rodrigo looks thoughtful for a second, then speaks.
    "If we were to ambush them, could we disguise ourselves as a trade or merchant's ship? That way, even if they were to sight us, it wouldn't be of any help to them.
    Profession: (1d20+1)[2]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, a good plan, Rodrigo. If we hide our armaments well, we can take them easily. Though I must say the lot of you need a bit of work on your map reading, we've an idea of where they need to go. We've about two days sail, so prepare yourselves and the ship."

Hamrin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You stab a number of red snapper. They will make for good eating.

Versvesh:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You pick up a number of helpful pointers on sailing and map reading.
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097