New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 5: Suffers Occasional Outbreaks of Butt's Disease

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    I'd imagine another reason people would worry about losing body parts, and replacing them with robot parts, is rather obvious. Most situations that would lead to the loss of a limb HURT. A LOT.

The comic said so itself. The reason he has his robot hand is because the old one was blown up.
    As I said, similar to a broken bone. Yeah, it sucks, yeah it hurts a whole freaking lot, but people don't go generally: "OH MY GOODNESS, THAT'S AWFUL, POOR HIM!" when told someone broke a bone sometime in the past. It's not that people wouldn't care about getting hurt or others getting hurt, it's just that it's a far less severe wound than it is in RL.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content 5: Suffers Occasional Outbreaks of Butt's Disease

Well, usually it's pretty traumatic to lose a hand via the kind of fireworks mishap that would be necessary to destroy a hand and good chunk of forearm. Especially given that he'd have to be even thicker than I thought to have done so at any point past the age of 12, and generally those sorts of fireworks mishaps are associated with young children getting hold of things they shouldn't rather than adults or teenagers being thick as bricks.

And losing your hand as a kid due to fireworks seems like a traumatic experience even with limb replacement available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    And losing your hand as a kid due to fireworks at all seems like a traumatic experience even with limb replacement available.
    FTFY.

Because seriously.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, Emily reminds me of Osaka from Azumanga Daioh right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Hmm, Emily reminds me of Osaka from Azumanga Daioh right now.
    Yes! And Claire DOES have a pony tail, and loose hair hanging from the sides of her head...

Let's see if Emily gets obsessed about those.

6. - Top - End - #306

Honestly, the existence of cybernetic limbs seems like it would lead to Full Metal Alchemist. Where in that world they have whats called automail. About the same as cybernetics. And people actually choose to have parts removed so they can instal robotic limbs instead. Its often treated like getting a tattoo or piercing. If I could get a body part surgically removed and replaced, I might actually think about it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #307

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Honestly, the existence of cybernetic limbs seems like it would lead to Full Metal Alchemist. Where in that world they have whats called automail. About the same as cybernetics. And people actually choose to have parts removed so they can instal robotic limbs instead. Its often treated like getting a tattoo or piercing. If I could get a body part surgically removed and replaced, I might actually think about it.
    But not within a scant decade or two at the most.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #308

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But not within a scant decade or two at the most.
    Actually, I think it would, if it was commonly known about and the idea of just getting a limb removed because you feel like it was acceptable under the law. It would be the newest fad. "Wait, you mean I can get my arms looking like Jax from mortal combat? HELL YEAH!"

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Yes! And Claire DOES have a pony tail, and loose hair hanging from the sides of her head...

Let's see if Emily gets obsessed about those.
    Chiyo-chan, however, is much more adorable than Claire.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, I think it would, if it was commonly known about and the idea of just getting a limb removed because you feel like it was acceptable under the law. It would be the newest fad. "Wait, you mean I can get my arms looking like Jax from mortal combat? HELL YEAH!"
    It would be especially popular amongst people who are of the persuasion that their limbs are not their own, I imagine. Amputation is common among them already anyway, so perhaps a new, prosthetic limb would be much more fit to them, at least mentally speaking.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Wait wut? I don't recall any of the people who had automail in the series choosing to get an Automail...

More on topic, is Emily starting to grate on anyone else's nerves? When she was introduced it was kind of funny; but the "I want to be a toaster" bit from today's comic firmly planted her in the annoying category for me.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

12. - Top - End - #312
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Meh. Hannelore has become too well-adjusted and mainstream, the comic has a deficit of weird+zany to fill, and Clinton is too obnoxious to handle it by himself.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Hanelore I found pretty neat as the neurosis were funny and had some interesting implications; but Emiliy seems weird just for the sake of being weird. The things such as choosing being a Librarian cause you like how books smells I can understand; but wanting to be a toaster? No... I don't find it funny on any level.
    Just call me Dusk

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Wait wut? I don't recall any of the people who had automail in the series choosing to get an Automail...
    Well, there was a town somewhere where there was a very disproportionate number of people with automail, so either there was a high rate of deformity/accidents, or at least half of them did it on their own.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

Hanelore I found pretty neat as the neurosis were funny and had some interesting implications; but Emiliy seems weird just for the sake of being weird. The things such as choosing being a Librarian cause you like how books smells I can understand; but wanting to be a toaster? No... I don't find it funny on any level.
    I wouldn't say she's funny, but I think it's a fitting level of oddness. She doesn't seem overdone to me. Maybe that just means I've known too many weirdos.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Well, there was a town somewhere where there was a very disproportionate number of people with automail, so either there was a high rate of deformity/accidents, or at least half of them did it on their own.
    High rate of deformity/accidents. It's the mecha of automail.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

17. - Top - End - #317

You guys are all underestimating how much fun toasters have.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    I think you mean mecca or was it a pun?

And I just don't find that kind of silliness funny, personal taste and whatnot
    Just call me Dusk

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

I think you mean mecca or was it a pun?

And I just don't find that kind of silliness funny, personal taste and whatnot
    Shhhh, we can't let the world know Mohammed was the first mecha pilot.

20. - Top - End - #320

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Simius View Post
    You guys are all underestimating how much fun toasters have.

Yes.

Fun is what toasters have. As anyone who has watched the Brave Little Toaster can attest.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Shhhh, we can't let the world know Mohammed was the first mecha pilot.
    But but but Djinn class... oh...

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Nope, that town was full of people who willingly removed limbs to get tricked out and turbo charged limbs for themselves. It was like a combination hot rod show and contest to see who could give themselves the most extreme makeover. One of the substories was about a near legendary automail mechanic about to go out of business specifically because he refused to take part in that kind of crap, to him automail is serious business meant to help the unfortunate, not status symbols to be shown off and upgraded like your new sports car. And his adopted daughter or whatever, was determined to prove his work was the best despite it not being fancy.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Firbolg in the Playground

Emily...

I keep on wanting to like her quirkiness, and her being different, but honestly I get really close to liking he,r and then she does something bloody stupid and I hate her again. Like, the offensive questions about AI's. And that's happened repeatedly with her.

Gabby is kind of bland right now, but I totally love Claire. She makes me happy. ^.^
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Emily...

I keep on wanting to like her quirkiness, and her being different, but honestly I get really close to liking he,r and then she does something bloody stupid and I hate her again. Like, the offensive questions about AI's. And that's happened repeatedly with her.

Gabby is kind of bland right now, but I totally love Claire. She makes me happy. ^.^
    Momo doesn't really look offended though. The "owner" comment got to her, but other than that she seems to be fine with the questions.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Momo's explanation raises interesting considerations about Station, apparently one of the biggest AIs around...
    Last edited by eee; 2012-09-28 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Misspelling

26. - Top - End - #326
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I find it interesting that the author is now taking the time to explore sf ideas in what is essentially a web comic about a group of wacky characters.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post
    I find it interesting that the author is now taking the time to explore sf ideas in what is essentially a web comic about a group of wacky characters.
    Other than the webcomic part, that sounds like the premise of several movies/shows/video games.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

I agree. Though not the central premise, exploring the differences between this universe and ours is fascinating, though such human-like full sized anthro-pc chassis do somewhat conflict with the robot boyfriend arc.
    'He' was much more robotic, despite being supposedly state of the art.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-09-30 at 08:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Above all I love the optimism.

So many times we've been confronted by the whole 'AIs are automatically hostile'. It's really nice to see the growth of AIs as a positive thing- not even a 'they take over but for the best' but as a meeting of minds where both parties act humanely and with honour.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post
    Above all I love the optimism.

So many times we've been confronted by the whole 'AIs are automatically hostile'. It's really nice to see the growth of AIs as a positive thing- not even a 'they take over but for the best' but as a meeting of minds where both parties act humanely and with honour.
    Yeah, that is special. If we ever create mind-like AI, I hope we treat it with the same dignity and mutual respect seen here.
    There is much opportunity for abuse. It would be easy, or at least as easy as creating an AI at all, to create a slave race that was happy to be slaves, whose only will is to serve us.
    Freefall has a similar optimism, though not all in-universe recognize it.