New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Hunting Grounds

[Plains]

Long dead?

Nah.

Freddie killed it a few hours ago at least. Unless that counts as long dead from Morbit's point of view?

Anywho!

The critter might very well gain tough quartz nodules in its hide that will increase the durability of it considerably. Or perhaps increased size and muscle mass? Either of those could probably be useful.

"Well, there you go. Maybe you just haven't been getting anything to eat?" the Huldra says as the chimeric critter horks down the raw meat.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Orc in the Playground

Plains

Long enough for a lot of the life energy to have dispersed, though I mistakenly thought it was dead a few days rather than a few hours.

Morbit visibly bulks up as it eats, growing about two centimetres in size and the muscles of its legs increasing in size. When it has finished, Morbit turns around and sits on its haunches, awaiting another piece of flesh.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #753

[Plains]

"Eerr..." Freddie should have expected this.

Of course the thing would expect more after Freddie fed it once. Unfortunately s'he only has one more piece of meat on his'r person. A chunk of flesh from a wyvern-like creature that had been slain earlier than the rhino-thing.

Fire breather!

After the Huldra had chained up the monster's wings it had gone down pretty quickly.

Another chunk of meat is tossed to Morbit!

The only one Freddie has left.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-06-04 at 07:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Wilderness]

The elf glances carefully in the direction of Trisha, "In that case I'd try to choose another prey, I relay greatly on surprise in my attacks." She pauses a moment. "How would you like being the bait?"

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilderness

The woman grins at the suggestion. "I can take hits with the best of them and stand my ground well. As long as you watch my back, I don't think I'd mind at all." With that, she checks the food once more before giving Michicora her stick of rabbit and digging into her own.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Orc in the Playground

Plains

Morbit eagerly eats this piece of meat, too. You mentioned that it had wings? Well, Morbit's been trying for wings for a long time- it's hollowed its bones to lighten its frame, has an air bladder to increase its buoyancy and make it lighter, and feathers in addition to its original forelimbs already becoming more wing-like. Morbit grows the same amount as last time, and the change is more obvious- its proto-wings adapt and morph, becoming proper wings which Morbit stretches and flaps a few times.

7. - Top - End - #757

[Plains]

Yep.

The critter totally had wings.

Big wyvern-like monster.

Anywho! The flames under Freddie's feet fade, allowing the Huldra to drop back to the ground. S'he holds his'r pole-arm at the ready just in case the chimeric thing decides to try snapping at him'r again.

"Boy, you sure do give new meaning to 'you are what you eat', don't you?" the Huldra mutters. "So you gain aspects of whatever you devour? That's a potentially horrifying ability. But..."

Freddie wrinkles his'r nose a bit. "You need some more work before you'll be a real threat to some of the bigger monsters around here."

OH!

The Huldra's eyes go wide! Wait! There's one last thing s'he could feed this beasty!

"How about you follow me," s'he says as a wisp stained red drifts out of his'r back. S'he seizes it and squeezes the thing, causing a surprising amount of blood and tissue from the Sliver it had mangled a few minutes ago to goosh out. "And fight along side me. Chew on my kills until you're strong enough to fight on your own. How does that sound?"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-06-04 at 08:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #758

[Wilderness]

Michicora almost returns the smile, she looks vaguely amused at least which is a lot for her. "I'll do my part if you do yours. We should pick an easy one though since it would be our first." She suggests. It was hardly the first time she had gone together with another hunter. You needed to be more then one often after all and you couldn't be too picky about the allies either. Not that Trisha seemed to be that bad really. It might be a bit awkward working with another woman though, but she needed more experience with it so she didn't mind.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Orc in the Playground

Plains

"Sound?" Morbit has a humanoid voice box, gained from a certain dragon-thing, though Morbit's not yet smart enough to speak, it can mimic to an extent. Morbit will, however, go to drink up the blood, growing slightly each time. It's mainly done for mass; I don't know enough about slivers to know their abilities.

Was it that kind of sliver that Freddy killed?

10. - Top - End - #760

[Plains]

Totally that kind of sliver that Freddie killed. 's why Rebo linked to an image of it!

Rebo doesn't know much about slivers either.

However!

Slivers in general are muscular predatory critters with really sharp claws and stuff. This particular one happens to be unusually agile, allowing it to attack quickly from unexpected angles with ease.

Or something.

"So you can talk?" the Huldra asks. "Or just mimic."

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest Lake]
    Picture by Sedeptra.

A pixie stands on a high branch, surveying her surroundings. Mimi taps her spear repeatedly against the branch, showing her agitation. She's in a hurry, and she can't find what she's looking for.

With a sigh, Mimi hoppes off the branch, and flies near the forest floor. She just has to keep looking. No matter how annoying trying to find something without knowing where to look is.

((Closed scene.))
    Last edited by Gullara; 2012-06-04 at 10:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

The Rainforest

Acacia has to drop lightly out of the trees to examine the tracks, but she returns to them to follow. She can feel her blood rising, preparing to meet the challenge. She imagines her pride in scoring a massive trophy to show off to Jonah and Furball.

The fact that it's not typical of her to intentionally track something this size with the intentions of starting a fight never crosses her mind.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

13. - Top - End - #763

Riverbank

Toothly beaks, that's a bit different. Well, at least Gordon can still move his hands, which gives him the chance to try to turn on a feature of the bodyarmor he wears. That feature is that the armor has a powerful electirc discharge activated with a push of a button.

This beast is about to find out why the electric eel is at the top of the food chain.

14. - Top - End - #764

[Riverbank]

Everyone keeps doing that.

The whole 'shock the big monster when it grabs you' thing.

Shocking a creature causes its muscles to contract violently. Which means that its grip involuntarily tightens. Which means it becomes physically impossible for the creature to let go of Gordon.

Is the attack hurting the thing?

Yep! It's jerking spastically.

That and it is ALSO probably crushing Gordon really well at the same time.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-06-04 at 10:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #765

Forest Lake

From the edge of the clearing, Mimi can hear a voice giving instructions, clear and low.

"Spread out, fight, eat, kill, and die. As you were meant to." A violent chittering is his only reply, and then five separate sets of rustling break off and start moving in different directions. One is heading towards the lake, and breaks the cover of the trees all too soon.

A buglike head far larger than most normal bugs sticks out of the brush, covered in odd, gemlike protrusions scattered about its flesh.

Each sparkles as its head swivels around, searching for prey.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest Lake]

Ooooh, goody. Mimi suddenly dives down into the underbrush and out of site. She peers through a gap in the greenery and her eyes wander over the strange creature eagerly, looking for any smallish (by human standards) green gems.

No matter what she sees, she starts circling around, keeping low. She seeks to get behind it so she can get a proper sneak attack.

17. - Top - End - #767

Forest Lake

There are gems of all sizes, although most of them are quite large by human standards, with the smallest being the size of a thumb. They come in five colours, and green is among them, a pale green just a shade lighter than its skin tone.

The beast slips out of the underbrush into the clearing, seemingly unaware of Mimi's presence for now. The rest of its body bares resemblance to a snake's, long tail splitting near the end and having two tips. It also has a single scythe-tipped limb that it props itself up on to better examine its surroundings.

Its back is covered in a mass of gems, far more numerous than the ones on its head. They must be worth a fortune.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

18. - Top - End - #768

Riverbanks

Hey, shocking things is one of Gordon's basic tactics. Through the crushing is not good, Gordon needs air, and getting crushed makes him open his mouth. Well, there's one way to force yourself out of a crushing grip, get bigger.

So, Gordon tries to shift into his dragon form, and because he's much larger in that form, it should break the monster's grip. That way, Gordon can swim up to get more air.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest Lake]

Once Mimi is behind the sliver, she flies a little higher, just emerging from above the undergrowth. She tightens her grip on her spear, makes sure her shield is secure, then charges. She moves as silently as she can, and very swiftly. If she can get close to her prey, the pixie will try to stab it at the base of its head with her poison tipped spear. The poison is intended to paralyze at best, or at least cause those inflicted to move sluggishly.

20. - Top - End - #770

Forest Lake

The sliver seems to notice the assault before it lands, but is unable to react in time and still receives a deep wound, although not a dead on blow. The spear tip skitters off the thing's prodigious skull, cutting open the thin skin and letting loose a flow of thick green ichor.

Its tails whip up in reaction and try to swat the pixie out of the air on instinct. There's no sign of sluggishness in its movements yet, but even the best poisons take a few moments to begin their work.

21. - Top - End - #771

Seeking Interaction

Somewhere in the Forest

Kagaro the mighty Red Oni has crossed the river and wanders deeper into the forest. He makes no attempt to cover himself or his tracks. He has great confidence in his size and no fear of whatever may leap out. He stops for only a moment and sniffs the air to see what he can find.

At Sea

Drums beat out a rhythm as a galley rows across the southern sea of the hunting grounds. The colours flying indicate the ship belongs to the scourges of the waves, the pirate crew of the Ocean Devil, and their captain, Scimitar Braun.

Braun was tall, reaching to almost six and a half feet. His hair was black as night but in his age looked like it had several grey wires curling through it. He was a dirty man and even his favorite coat, stolen off the body of a naval admiral he killed, was tattered by battle, dirtied by the filth of his living, and grayed by the sea water. The scimitar that he he was named for hangs at his waist, black as obsidian and yet stronger than steel. The sword is peculiar though, as it lacks a proper hilt. The hilt of his scimitar was attached to his wrist. His hand was lost to a festering wound years ago, in it's place was a device that attaches to the mighty blade. Attracted by the call to arms of the strong and the promise of fabulous prizes, Braun has decided to test the mettle of his crew, his ship, and himself, against whatever the goddess or any of the other fools thinks they can throw at him.

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest Lake]

Oh boy, this thing's as quick as it looks. Mimi has no time to celebrate her successful hit. She drops out of the air to let the tail whiz over her. As it passes she swipes upward with her spear to try and nick it. That's all she can do now, as it's all she can do to not connect with the ground and instead dart to the side at the last moment.

23. - Top - End - #773

Forest Lake

The sliver slides to the side of the swipe this time, but already its movements are slow and cautious, and its head darts to and fro watching Mimi's moves and waiting for her to get close again so it can retaliate. She won't get another chance at a sneak attack like her last one.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest Lake]

Mimi strafes to the side, always facing the sliver. She takes a moment to see what effect her first attack has done before darting forward. She flies low, aiming to get a swiping in at the sliver's side just before where the gems start as she flies by.

25. - Top - End - #775

Forest Lake

The gemhide attempts a slow snap of its beak at the pixie as she zooms by, but it's too slow at this point to catch her. It does, however, turn that movement into a much faster roll that knocks the spearpoint down and out of the way as it attempts to catch Mimi under its pointed gems and crush her into the mossy ground.

26. - Top - End - #776

[Near a River in the forest]

It's a normal day here and a sabertooth cat went for the river to drink. In the air above him something is flying. It's hard to notice him, but it seems like a humanoid. He seems to pour something in the water from a vial in his hand. The water falling down looks normal, but after reaching the river it turns black. The poor sabertooth drinks this black water and soon his body is hulled in a black mass. If nothing stops this the sabertooth will change his appereance slightly changing into something else.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who wants to encounter this?
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest Lake]

Mimi tries to get out of the way, but can't quite do it. Her legs gets pinned under the hard gems and there's a cracking as at least a couple bones break. Mimi screams, but has the presence of mind to toss a handful of pixie dust at the sliver. If it has the intended effect, the sliver should be momentarily light enough for Mimi to shove it enough that she can slip out and puts some distance between them.

28. - Top - End - #778

Forest Lake

One of the sliver's gems brakes off in the earth, but it seems to be a common enough experience that the beast doesn't care. The pixie dust has its intended effect, and Mimi can squirm free of it before it completes its roll.

It's somewhat disoriented by its attempted maneuver, and doesn't have the pixie back in its sights at the moment. She has time to prepare another attack or do something about her crippled legs, but not very much of it.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest Lake]

Mimi can barely think for the pain in her legs. She sprinkles some pixie just on them. It relieves the pain somewhat, enough that she can continue fighting. As she does this, she darts downward into the undergrowth, hoping to be able to get another stealthy attack past the sliver's defenses.

30. - Top - End - #780

[Riverbank]

Shocking things isn't always a wise course of action.

Gordon escapes and manages to swim up to the surface again for some air! And something else is coming up to the surface behind him. Something really big. In fact...

Some of those massive boulders that lined the river's edge?

Those weren't actually rocks.

The monster is absolutely immense, like some horrible combination of octopus, ape, turtle, elk, and toad. Its stony hide is patched in some places with glass-clear ice, rivulets of water constantly rushing down its flanks. Four huge tentacles ring its beak-like mouth with slathering teeth bristled around it. Arms and legs like tentacles ending in branching claws and lethal suckers. And its shell looks to be made of pure granite. Trees grow from the monster's body, their roots spread over its surface like a gnarled hide.

Good work Gordon!

You found an ancient Troll!

The monster heaves both of its arms into the air before swinging them down at Gordon in a bid to smash him back under water.