New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1497
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Hunting Grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    Hoodoo Forest

The lizard jerks back once the wolf moves, skittering back several metres. So the mammal was alive. It's flat, thin tongue flickers in and out between its teeth, tasting the air. What was this strange creature so crassly sleeping in its territory? It moved like a living beast yet it smelled like carrion.

Whatever it was, the iguana had no desire for it to stay. It didn't trust its meat enough for a meal, but if it stayed than the iguana would have to drive it out itself. A second time, the iguana stretches its neck out, and hisses loudly. The multi-coloured fan of skin behind its neck unfolds, making it look even larger.

Final warning.
    [Hoodoo Forest]

Tactically speaking, it would be the smart choice to back away. It would be more intelligent to simply leave to potentially safer grounds. However, hunger demanded otherwise. Hunger craved satiation and astutely pointed out that it could be easily done. Yes, it was large but hadn't larger things fallen before? Yes, this body was strange but perhaps the challenge would make the meat sweeter? Really, the only snag left was the one burning down from the sky, blurring vision and weakening muscles.

In the end, hunger managed to twist will into serving it's own interests. It was a hunt after all, was it not? And it was hunger that skewed the values of risk and reward. The wolf bared it's fangs at the hissing reptile, backing into the small shadows left by the towering rock spires at this time of day. Staying out of the sun would be key to this, after all, but if it was just able to do that... Well, certainly a beast of that size had quite a bit of blood inside it.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hoodoo Forest

Really?
    The mammal is staying?
    The giant, tusked iguana shakes its head with a loud and beastile snort. Nothing had ever ignored its warnings and lived. It was getting to the point where it was having to leave the forest to go find prey.

This insolent mammal would have to be taught a lesson.

With a hiss, the lizard charges forward. Despite it's massive size and short, stubby legs its still capable of moving at incredible speeds. With its head lowered to the ground, its tusks are now quite rapidly putting the wolf in danger of getting gored.
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Orc in the Playground

Elsewhere

Mateo will reach out and take one of the coals. He doesn't care about how hot it is or isn't; it's just important to do as She bids. When he has one, no matter how much it is or isn't burning his fingers, he'll pop it into his mouth and swallow, perhaps grimacing if it's particularly hot or cold. But he'll try not to react to it, no matter how much it hurts; fire can kill vampires, I believe.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Halfling in the Playground

The Crag

"Hello, child." Mercutio comes to a stop several metres behind the witch. His hand rests on the spine of his spell-book but if he had any intention of summoning his cloud-rams, he would have already. He looks around curiously, but if he shows any distaste at the mess or the girl's dishevelled state, he doesn't show it. "May I sit by your fire?"
    "You may," says a voice, though it sounds far too old to be hers. Perhaps it only appears so - even the age of her flesh is hard to determine. She points to a spot across the fire with one slender hand and bids him, "Make your place, sit. It is your fire just as it is mine."

The witch is wearing a leather tunic, patched together from the tanned hides of at least a dozen small animals. It loops around her shoulders and thighs, leaving her upper back exposed as Mercutio saw. A pair of torn trousers warm her legs vainly. The witch's feet are bare, despite the dangerous cold. She wriggles her toes in the ash at the base of the fire.

The hag's body is pierced in many places, and strange articles dangle here and there. Loose bracelets swing at her wrists, disturbed only by the passing of the mountain wind. Her face is swept at the edges and pointed at the chin, like a heart. Her age, as was said, is indeterminable. She has eyes like the crows around them, beads that gleam in the growing firelight.

For now, she watches him from across the flames, hugging her raw, bleeding knees to her body. It seems she scraped them climbing.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-07-18 at 10:59 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

5. - Top - End - #1115

[Hoodoo Forest]

Though a short retreat into the shadows was apparently successful, it was not enough time for the wolf's prowess to return in full. So, though it managed to avoid impalement, a raking gash on it's side would be it's reward for taking on this challenge. Though the damage was certainly painful, it was not as immediately detrimental as it would be for a living thing.

With a snarl baring saliva slick teeth, the beast returned with a strike of it's own, using the lizard's own tusks as a sort of guide toward the reptile's face. Particularly, the wolf would try to damage the iguana's eyes, turning it's head sideways as it snapped it's jaws in an attempt to pierce both at once. It was a grisly tactic but one that would hopefully be effective in disabling the lizard. It was risky, though, as that would expose it to the iguana's own maw should it try a counter-attack.

6. - Top - End - #1116

Forest

The treant flails as it suddenly finds itself carrying an unexpected passanger, snatching at Spreagadh with it's smaller branches, but being not the most spritely of creatures it's far, far too slow to actually catch the elusive fey. Flame explodes around it's crown of branches and soon has nearly all of the tree ablaze, but the spell of stoneskin carved to the treant's bark protects it. The treant's innards are all too vulnerable to flame, but stone is far less flammable.

With a roar it starts forward, pointing one of it's 'arms' at Spreagadh's new hiding place. From it's closest analogue to a finger lances out a spear-shaped gust of razor sharp wind, capable of cutting as well as any knife or dagger.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest]

Ouch. That's not good, not good at all. The unnaturally damaging air slams into her right hip, cutting deep into the joint. It seems that she's going to be rather less agile than she has been, at least until she can get healing...

However, she's not without magical recourse of her own; a few moments after her impalement, the Leannan curls the fingers of her right hand into a loose fist, leaving her thumb out to the side, and flicks them towards the treant, causing the earth in front of it to ripple out from where she is, quickly forming into a cross between a wave and a combine harvester, the blades of which should have a similar impact to a heavy battleaxe wielded by a well-trained half-giant, as it advances on her foe.

8. - Top - End - #1118

Elsewhere

The coal is red-hot to the touch, but for some reason it doesn't burn Mateo. The sensation is similar to that of holding one's hands too close to a bonfire. It continues as the coal slides down his throat and into his belly. The heat spreads through his body. It keeps growing hotter and stronger, hotter and stronger, until it threatens to consume him.

And then it does consume him. The Hall of the Huntress fades away and is replaced with only the burning, exhilarating heat of life. And then even that fades.

Forest

It's late night when Mateo awakens. He's definitely not in the same place he was when he was defeated by the siren, but he can tell he's still in the same forest. Or he came back to the forest? Something like that.

If it wasn't for his keen sense of sight, he wouldn't be able to see anything in the gloomy dark. It's late enough that Mateo may want to consider finding somewhere to rest for the night, lest some great beast decide on vampire for dinner. Or was that the idea?

The Crag

Ah. Perhaps not a child, then. Mercutio chuckles to himself in pleasant surprise as he makes his way around the fire. Before sitting down on the indicated log, he lifts the bottom of his coat out of the way so it hangs down on the far side. "You'll have to forgive me," he says, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, "but it's rare I meet a member of the mortal races who may be older than I am." Mercutio is quite young, but only for a devil. There may be a few ancient elves kicking around older than he is, but they're not long for this world.

For a few moments Mercutio seems content to simply study the witch. He doesn't bother hiding his curiosity as he cups his chin in one hand as he peers at her through the smoke. Perhaps, he ponders, the witch was not a member of the mortal races at all, or perhaps she had transcended mortality and gained some sort of eternal youth. If that was the case he would surely feel quite the fool for guessing her age wrong twice, but such was the path of enlightenment.

"Have you a name?" he asks, finally breaking his contemplative silence.

Hoodoo Forest

Looks like Mr. Wolf here is a dirty fighter. How rude.

Well, it manages to make contact with the lizard, but as its fangs draw close the lizard turns its head away and it is met with scale and the muscle beneath rather than optical jelly. Nevertheless, the lizard lets out a loud and deep cry of pain and rage. It turns, thrashing its head to the right. The wolf will find itself very suddenly between a rock and a hard place as the lizard tries to ram it against one of the towering hoodoos.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

9. - Top - End - #1119

The Crag

Ah. Perhaps not a child, then. Mercutio chuckles to himself in pleasant surprise as he makes his way around the fire. Before sitting down on the indicated log, he lifts the bottom of his coat out of the way so it hangs down on the far side. "You'll have to forgive me," he says, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, "but it's rare I meet a member of the mortal races who may be older than I am." Mercutio is quite young, but only for a devil. There may be a few ancient elves kicking around older than he is, but they're not long for this world.

For a few moments Mercutio seems content to simply study the witch. He doesn't bother hiding his curiosity as he cups his chin in one hand as he peers at her through the smoke. Perhaps, he ponders, the witch was not a member of the mortal races at all, or perhaps she had transcended mortality and gained some sort of eternal youth. If that was the case he would surely feel quite the fool for guessing her age wrong twice, but such was the path of enlightenment.

"Have you a name?" he asks, finally breaking his contemplative silence.
    "You're forgiven," says the witch, her pose and posture never changing. Her eyes remain locked on Mercutio in turn, and as he asks his question, her favorite question, a smile spreads her dry, blue lips. "I have many. For this, for you, Caesa will serve." Caesa's voice is as cool as ever, seemingly at peace with everyone and everything. Mercutio may have noticed by now that the crows fall silent only when she speaks.

"What is your name?" She asks finally, eyes gleaming with delight. The crows pause, cocking their heads in confusion and then recognition, before squawking in such a way that it sounds like laughter. After all, she must be joking - only fools give their names to a witch.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-07-19 at 09:26 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

10. - Top - End - #1120

The Crag

At Caesa's question Mercutio's eyes reflect hers, lighting up with amusement. She can even see a smile crawl over his lips where his fingers don't obscure it, cupped around his chin. This must be a joke. She couldn't expect the name trick to work on a devil. Especially if a witch was asking.
    "Oh, I think Benvolio will do for now," he says slyly. "I don't think I've used that one in a while.

Vashti, for her part, appears to be somewhat nervous in her surroundings. The frozen mountain bowl is far removed from her natural tropical surroundings. She peers at the crows surrounding her like a cautious duchess suddenly finding herself in the back streets of London surrounded by grubby street urchins. Noting the bird of paradise's concern, Mercutio reaches up with his free hand and absentmindedly scratches the back of her neck.

"So tell me, Ms. Caesa," he continues, ever the curious one, "what are you doing all the way down here in this frozen abyss?"
    Last edited by Mr. Moon; 2012-07-19 at 11:07 PM.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

11. - Top - End - #1121

[Hoodoo Forest]

Well, the wolf had overextended itself in a rather risky attack so very shortly it was indeed rammed into a pillar of rock. Yet, there didn't seem to be as much give as would be expected. Still, the wolf was somewhat shaken by the blow and would likely be pinned there unless the iguana had only tossed it's head rather than intended to keep the wolf in place.

If the wolf was able to move some, though, then it would try squeezing out from between rock and lizard, leaving a bit of a dull red stain on the stones from it's earlier wound. That would be a rather involved action, though, so it was unlikely it could do much aside from that beyond readying itself for the next offensive.

But if there was room for it, then the wolf would try kicking a bit of dirt and sand in the iguana's face. Apparently it really wanted to blind it's foe.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Forest Clearing]

Chop, hack, slash, etc. The flower lady is dead within the first couple of swings, and from then on Trisha is steadily making a bigger mess of blood and flesh and bits of plant etc.

There's a rumble as the clearing is opened up once more, allowing them to leave.
    As the rumbling begins, a pair of lightning strikes hit leaving a pair of objects in the ground.

The first is a knife. The hilt is beautifully designed like a rose, with a stem large enough to be a real hilt, and a distinct lack of thorns. It leads up into a rose shaped crossguard, and is tipped in a red blade, the color of a rose's petal. One who grabs it will know that the length and weight of the blade can be adjusted as the user wishes... as long as it is fed with blood.

The other weapon is what appears to be a recurve bow, already strung. Except for the grip, it's green and covered in thorns, and resonates with more than a small amount of power. The one who receives this boon will know that any arrow fired from it will slowly sap the blood from it's target as long as it's embedded in the enemy.
    Last edited by Halae; 2012-07-19 at 11:56 PM.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

13. - Top - End - #1123

Forest

With a rasping, whispering sound like the breeze rustling branches on a dry October morning, a sound that might be it's version of a laugh, the treant plunges it's lower right hand into the dirt. The forest around them begins to wither visibly as it reaches out and draws power from the trees, the undergrowth, the lowly things that crawl beneath the loam, focusing all these stolen energies into a single patch of earth, dead in the wave's path.

As Spreagadh's spell crosses this focal point, the trap is sprung. The ground beneath the wave explodes upwards, with enough force that it is all but certain to stop or at least slow the attack's progress. This tricky little number does not leave enough time for the treant to counter-attack, not immediately, but it's working on something nasty.
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2012-07-20 at 12:12 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest]

Well. That didn't go so well. In fact, it could be said to have gone distinctly badly. Though at least she knows what sorts of capabilities it has now, to some extent.

Pointing at the treant, Spreagadh begins to chant softly, clearly casting a spell of some sort, and one that takes more preparation than the simple gestures they've used up to now.

"North wind, north wind, old and chill, freeze this one who'd do me ill.
    East wind, east wind, sister young. Shield me from the trap I sprung.
    South wind, south wind, hot and strong, burn the one who did me wrong.
    West wind, west wind, lover now, take all that I can allow.

Fire, fire, fire of the sun. Help me now to kill this one.
    Water, water, of the sea, from my foe I ask you flee.
    Earth upon which he now stands, cast from you its bloody hands.
    Air on you did I first call; now break his limbs and let them fall."

As she starts to speak, a chill wind rises, blowing around the grove; it should at least partially freeze the treant's sap, presumably slowing it, and possibly causing cracks or small explosions as it expands.

With the next line, another wind springs up as well, a fierce gale centered on the tree the fae is in, though she herself appears to be in the eye of the storm.

The third line's effect isn't immediately apparent; certainly, no additional wind is forthcoming.

The fourth is somewhat more dramatic, a gentle breeze stirring the leaves around the Leannan, following which she slumps back in the tree, obviously drained of energy.

On the fifth, a javelin-like jet of fire spits at the treant from her finger; it's somewhere around the point where aluminum will burn, and should hit with a similar effect to a ballista bolt.

With the sixth, the unusually ambulatory plant should find itself desiccating rapidly, the water apparently being leached from him into the air and the ground.

The seventh should result in the treant's hands being quite roughly shoved from the ground, probably after being squeezed in fissures for a moment first.

And, when she speaks the final line, a howling storm begins to form, starting with a wind strong enough to tear branches from many of the trees around them, and uproot some of the smaller ones outright.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Orc in the Playground

Forest

Since vampires are nocturnal, Mateo feels more comfortable at night than during the day. He's aware there's many large nocturnal predators, but he trusts his abilities enough that he's not particularly scared. Nervous, yes; concerned about what the Huntress wants to kill, yes; but not frightened.

So Mateo looks around his area and moves quickly and quietly off into the forest, keeping all his senses fine-tuned. If there's danger nearby, he'll either see it, hear it, or smell it- hopefully before it sees, hears or smells him.

16. - Top - End - #1126

Forest

The first verse is less potent that Spreagadh might have hoped, the flames clinging to the treant's shell mitigating the chill somewhat. There's still a definite crunching audible as the resins in it's stone armor freeze and expand and a hiss of pain from the treant itself, but it's not going to do the living tree in anytime soon. Not by itself.

As the fey launches into her second verse the treant completes it's own machinations, roaring forth a single word in it's own incomprehensible tongue. Controlling the forces of nature without direct contact is tricky, as is controlling even such low sentiences as insects, hence why it took the treant so long, but with a little searching it's found the perfect mind to commandeer for it's purpose.

The incantations effects are not obvious, no roaring winds or scorching flame here, but within the thick layer of fallen leaves beneath Spreagadh's tree, something stirs. Slithering up the trunk opposite to where the fey sits comes a dire centipede, long as a man's arm and all in dull gray-black armor, trying to crawl up behind Spreagadh and sink it's mandibles into her flesh, spreading a paralytic poison.

This alone would be a poor tactic as the fey would no doubt spot the insectile assassin on it's own. So the treant calls forth another spell in quick succession, this one simple and easy, yet with the flash, the flair the situation calls for. Drawing upon the light of the sun it hurls a beam of brilliant, searing light towards Spreagadh. It's easy enough to dodge, barely coming close enough to wing her should she stay still, but it's true purpose is to distract and briefly blind her so the true attempt upon her life might succeed.

17. - Top - End - #1127

Hoodoo Forest
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Terumitsu View Post
    [Hoodoo Forest]

Well, the wolf had overextended itself in a rather risky attack so very shortly it was indeed rammed into a pillar of rock. Yet, there didn't seem to be as much give as would be expected. Still, the wolf was somewhat shaken by the blow and would likely be pinned there unless the iguana had only tossed it's head rather than intended to keep the wolf in place.

If the wolf was able to move some, though, then it would try squeezing out from between rock and lizard, leaving a bit of a dull red stain on the stones from it's earlier wound. That would be a rather involved action, though, so it was unlikely it could do much aside from that beyond readying itself for the next offensive.

But if there was room for it, then the wolf would try kicking a bit of dirt and sand in the iguana's face. Apparently it really wanted to blind it's foe.

The wolf manages to slip away with ease as the iguana pulls its head away. It turns in a quick quarter-circle before opening its massive jaws and lunging on the place the wolf was, only to snap closed on thin air. With a hiss of displeasure, the iguana turns again to face the wolf. It lifts one leg to charge forward, only to have a cloud of sand and small stones kicked in its face. For a moment the iguana recoils, its large round eyes shut tight against the tiny pieces of rubble. Then, with a shake of its head, it charges forward. It rushes blindly at the wolf, clearly intending to use its greater mass as a sort of impromptu battering-ram. And maybe gore the wolf on its tusks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Forest

Since vampires are nocturnal, Mateo feels more comfortable at night than during the day. He's aware there's many large nocturnal predators, but he trusts his abilities enough that he's not particularly scared. Nervous, yes; concerned about what the Huntress wants to kill, yes; but not frightened.

So Mateo looks around his area and moves quickly and quietly off into the forest, keeping all his senses fine-tuned. If there's danger nearby, he'll either see it, hear it, or smell it- hopefully before it sees, hears or smells him.

Forest
    As Mateo moves through the forest, he is not presented with any clear and visible threats. For the moment, nothing seems quite willing to challenge him.

However, he does notice three interesting things. First, as he passes by a river, he can smell something decaying coming from somewhere, as well as an over-bearing scent of burnt moss. Second, in the mud of the river he notices several sets of hoof-prints. Depending upon Mateo's familiarity with all things equine he may or may not be able to identify them, but they over-lap and mix so often that it's impossible to tell how many there were passing. Second, from a far-off grove, he can make out a soft glow; purple mixed with gentle greens.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

18. - Top - End - #1128

[Hoodoo Forest]

A charge? While angry even? That was hardly something to scoff at. Growling loudly, the wolf made so that it's back was nearly up against a hoodoo as it coiled itself for a leap. It would take some split-second timing but the wolf would leap over the over sized lizard, allowing it's charge to continue towards the stone pillar. Hopefully, the reptile wouldn't catch on in time and end up using it's mass against itself. With luck, it might even damage itself or it's tusks.

However, beyond all this, the thing that the undead mammal was looking for was for the tusked iguana to stun itself. If that were to happen, then a quick followup with yet another attack on the eyes and face would be imminent. But if not, then a wide berth would definitely be given to the enraged reptile.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Orc in the Playground

Forest

Well, now. The smell of decay is interesting, and something Mateo's olfactory organs are good at picking up. The hoofprints are also interesting, though Mateo isn't good with horses. He suspects it's a herd of unicorns or centaur, though, as other horses aren't woodland species. But it could easily be some vast, multi-limbed monster that happens to be hoofed. And then there's the light, which is also interesting. Mateo tries to see if the equine creature(s) or the smell are heading towards the light. Maybe it'll be easy, and all the signs are part of one larger phenomena.

Mateo does hope it isn't unicorns, though; they're inherently divine, and are therefore capable of killing a vampire without using the methods other creatures have to resort to.

20. - Top - End - #1130

Forest

The smell is definitely coming from behind Mateo, somewhere across the river. The tracks, on the other hand, continue alongside the river. He can't make out how far they go from where he's standing, but they're definitely not going in the direction of the lights.

Hoodoo Forest

The wolf jumps clear of the charging lizard! Just in time, too. As soon as the wolf lands on the far ground, the great iguana hits the pillar of rock. Hard. A resounding, stomach-churning crack fills the air, followed by an agonized bellow. Enraged, the iguana turns in place, spinning around to try to find this unruly invader.

The hit on the pillar has broken off its right tusk. It hangs off the lizard's lower jaw by threads of skin and sinew, scraping against the ground as it moves. Blood splatters from the wound, dripping onto the ground in small puddles.

When the iguana spots the wolf, it lets out another bellow of pain and rage. Jaw open wide it lunges at the wolf to bite down on a flank, an arm, a muzzle - anything.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    Forest

The first verse is less potent that Spreagadh might have hoped, the flames clinging to the treant's shell mitigating the chill somewhat. There's still a definite crunching audible as the resins in it's stone armor freeze and expand and a hiss of pain from the treant itself, but it's not going to do the living tree in anytime soon. Not by itself.

As the fey launches into her second verse the treant completes it's own machinations, roaring forth a single word in it's own incomprehensible tongue. Controlling the forces of nature without direct contact is tricky, as is controlling even such low sentiences as insects, hence why it took the treant so long, but with a little searching it's found the perfect mind to commandeer for it's purpose.

The incantations effects are not obvious, no roaring winds or scorching flame here, but within the thick layer of fallen leaves beneath Spreagadh's tree, something stirs. Slithering up the trunk opposite to where the fey sits comes a dire centipede, long as a man's arm and all in dull gray-black armor, trying to crawl up behind Spreagadh and sink it's mandibles into her flesh, spreading a paralytic poison.

This alone would be a poor tactic as the fey would no doubt spot the insectile assassin on it's own. So the treant calls forth another spell in quick succession, this one simple and easy, yet with the flash, the flair the situation calls for. Drawing upon the light of the sun it hurls a beam of brilliant, searing light towards Spreagadh. It's easy enough to dodge, barely coming close enough to wing her should she stay still, but it's true purpose is to distract and briefly blind her so the true attempt upon her life might succeed.

[Forest]

Unfortunately for the treant's plan, Spreagadh doesn't sit around judging how close the beam is going to come; she simply reacts, throwing herself to the side just as she finishes the second line. And since she's in a tree, this has the side-effect of taking her out of it, and, presumably, out of range of the centipede at the same time.

Normally, of course, this would be shortly followed by a fall. However, the purpose of the part of the invocation that she'd just finished was to protect her, and, as she comes out of the foliage, the wind around it lifts her gently into the air, surrounding her with a thick mist as it does.

22. - Top - End - #1132

Forest

Damn. Time bought at least, that was something.

Once more the treant leans down and sinks it's hands into the earth, this time reaching not for the trees around them but for the water, the underground reservoir that has fed this forest for ages, allowing it to grow and prosper.

So to does it reach for the flames clinging to it's branches, sapping the heat from the fire until it gutters out, taking that spark of warmth and amplifying it a hundred fold before burying it deep underground, working next upon the very bedrock that holds them up.

This is a powerful spell and one that takes a fair bit of time in the doing, but Spreagadh won't be left to her own devices long. Climbing higher into the tree, to the very tallest branches, the dire centipede coils itself and springs down towards the fey, pincers ready to taste blood. The thralled creature is not very good at jumping but height should allow it to reach her, oblivious to the fact it is meant more as a distraction than a true attempt upon her life this time.

23. - Top - End - #1133

[Hoodoo Forest]

The sudden spill of sweet sanguine solution served as an unlikely distraction once it's scent reached the wolf's nose. A normal beast would think nothing of this but the undead wolf had likely proven itself to be rather beyond normal at this point. The precious moments that it could have used to dodge were wasted, leaving only a small opportunity for action and that would serve only to mitigate damage.

Yet.. Rather than do that, the hunger and madness that possessed the wolf saw fit to use the lack of a right tusk as reason enough to sacrifice it's own left hind leg to the raging reptile. With noting there to be gored upon, it could now make a strike at the iguana's neck with slavering jaws. And it would not be one bite but a flurry of them as the wolf would try to open up as many wounds as it possibly could. Of course, if this tactic failed, then the lizard would henceforth have a great advantage given that the wolf would be far less mobile, not to mention in pain.

24. - Top - End - #1134

The Crag

At Caesa's question Mercutio's eyes reflect hers, lighting up with amusement. She can even see a smile crawl over his lips where his fingers don't obscure it, cupped around his chin. This must be a joke. She couldn't expect the name trick to work on a devil. Especially if a witch was asking.
    "Oh, I think Benvolio will do for now," he says slyly. "I don't think I've used that one in a while.

Vashti, for her part, appears to be somewhat nervous in her surroundings. The frozen mountain bowl is far removed from her natural tropical surroundings. She peers at the crows surrounding her like a cautious duchess suddenly finding herself in the back streets of London surrounded by grubby street urchins. Noting the bird of paradise's concern, Mercutio reaches up with his free hand and absentmindedly scratches the back of her neck.

"So tell me, Ms. Caesa," he continues, ever the curious one, "what are you doing all the way down here in this frozen abyss?"
    Caesa's smirk seems implacable, despite the devil's denial. Not that she truly expected an obviously savvy creature to give up his name. Her gaze drifts to Vashti, another touch of fire in this cold place. The crows continue to leer at the bird of Paradise, her lovely form reflected in their hungry eyes. Would she be good to eat, they wonder? Would her lovely feathers warm a nest in this horrid place?

In any case, Mercutio's bird need not fear - the crows belong to Caesa, and she wishes Vashti no harm. Though when that question is posed, the Witch's features darken. Only slightly, but it is enough. The fire flares violently out of nowhere, and the crows hop backward, screeching with fear. "The Huntress may call this place hers, but that does not make it so." Her features flatten calmly. "And you, Mister Benvolio? What brings you to my crag?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #1135

Hoodoo Forest

The iguana clamps down on the wolf's hind leg with a mouthful of long, needle-like teeth and great strength. This is a jaw used to crushing through the shells of desert-dwelling tortoises. It bites down on the wolf, eager to taste its blood.

And then, suddenly, a flash of bright white pain.

The wolf manages to get a good bite on the great iguana, blood pouring forth from the wound. Once the first one sinks in the iguana pulls back, but its alarming speed from earlier seems to have evaporated. The wolf manages to get two more bites in, although the last is largely superficial. With a pained cry, the iguana turns tail and begins to slither away.

The Crag

Mercutio raises his eyebrow as the flames flare up at the mention of the Goddess. How odd, he muses to himself although his wickedly amused smile never falls from his face. A childish display of infuriation over the unfairness of life, or perhaps the simmering rage of an ancient grudge? Either way it was very interesting to Mercutio, and it was not idly how he wondered if and how he could take advantage of this.

"I saw your fire and it made me curious," Mercutio answers truthfully. "What kind of person, I wondered to myself, lights a fire in the middle of grounds where creatures and beings of all sorts hunt each other for gain and sport?" Stroking Vashti's soft feathers, Mercutio nods his head towards the witch and smiles. "I'm glad to say I was not disappointed. However, I can't help but notice that you didn't answer my question, Ms. Casea."
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

26. - Top - End - #1136

[Hoodoo Forest]

Though the leg would definitely be useless for a while, the wolf still hobbled as best it could once the iguana had turned to run. It had tasted blood and it would have to be quite hard pressed to leave it's quarry alone now. Even if the lizard managed to outrun the beast, it could easily follow the trail left behind until it caught up. If it was a case of endurance, then the wolf was definitely at an advantage being one of the tireless dead.

Once the wolf was close enough, it would lunge as best it could at the iguana's neck again, attempting to sink its teeth in deep and just rip out whatever flesh it could. Hunger would not allow it time to make a quick or painless kill. It just wanted to drink the lifeblood that was spilling across the sands and it was hell bent on it's feast or die trying. At least, for a given value of death, of course.

27. - Top - End - #1137

The Crag

Mercutio raises his eyebrow as the flames flare up at the mention of the Goddess. How odd, he muses to himself although his wickedly amused smile never falls from his face. A childish display of infuriation over the unfairness of life, or perhaps the simmering rage of an ancient grudge? Either way it was very interesting to Mercutio, and it was not idly how he wondered if and how he could take advantage of this.

"I saw your fire and it made me curious," Mercutio answers truthfully. "What kind of person, I wondered to myself, lights a fire in the middle of grounds where creatures and beings of all sorts hunt each other for gain and sport?" Stroking Vashti's soft feathers, Mercutio nods his head towards the witch and smiles. "I'm glad to say I was not disappointed. However, I can't help but notice that you didn't answer my question, Ms. Casea."
    The Witch and the Huntress have no enmity between them - the young goddess is relatively new to this Nexus, after all. But the Witch has never liked gods, and she has never liked liars. This place is hers. No other's.

"A person who lacks fear," Caesa states. She leans forward and flips her legs, sitting cross-legged. Her finger traces lines in the ashen sand by the fire. "Of course, a fool can lack fear just as anyone else."

At the repeat of the question, she shrugs. She'd thought it obvious. There is the barest edge of sorrow in her voice, as she continues without waiting for answer, "This is my home. My prison, of sorts. My life is bound in these bones, in the rock and the wind." She takes a handful of ash and watches most of it pour from between her fingers. The aforementioned mountain wind takes some as it passes, chilling all present despite Caesa's roaring fire. Of course, Mercutio might be more resilient. "I am confined here, but not just here. I am tied to places like this."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-07-25 at 11:03 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #1138

Hoodoo Forest

It takes a few long minutes for the wolf to catch up to the iguana. The giant lizard has the advantage of speed, even if its neck wound is slowing it down immensely. It's still much faster than a limping undead wolf. So while it quickly gets ahead of the wolf, it's not hard to follow by the trail of blood it leaves behind.

When the wolf finds the iguana again, it has collapsed. It lays on the ground, twitching feebly in a growing puddle of its own blood.

The Crag

While that's all very interesting, Mercutio has at the moment no reason to doubt his theory of animosity between the witch and the Goddess. He'll continue along with this theory until he finds new evidence which challenges it.

"There's no such thing as a person who lacks fear," Mercutio counters, enjoying himself very much. "There are only those who are so arrogant to claim they have no fear. Some of them even fool themselves into believing this claim. But when the gates of Hell open to them, they learn the truth."

He lets the words hang in the air, looking into the fire for a few moments with a dark smile on his lips. Suddenly, before the witch can reply, he looks up at her and tilts his head ever so slightly. "What places?"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

29. - Top - End - #1139

[Hoodoo Forest]

If the mammal had the facial muscles to smile, it's face would be pulled into a wicked grin as it stepped over the dying iguana. Instead, it simply settled with it's white fangs bared as it's jaw hung open just a bit, salivation dripping from it's incisors. Though a part of it's brain was being rather paranoid in suggesting that there might still be more, the rest of it was focused on it's perceived victory. And what better way to celebrate than by taking part of this bounty before it?

Unless something wanted to interrupt it, the beast would promptly begin ripping into the meat of the reptile, tearing out muscle and devouring it without a care as it sought out blood to sate it's maddening hunger. It wouldn't be particularly satisfying as it would be if it were a sapient being but gruel to an empty stomach was just as welcome as a steak. If left uninterrupted, then the beast would have reclaimed enough of it's faculties for a long minute of deep concentration. She would be quite vulnerable at this time but she could really care less given her current state of mind. If given the chance, the form of the wolf would be shed in favor of a wiry woman with a bald head. Perhaps unremarkably, her eyes changed little from one shape to the next as their dark amber color still reflected unsated hunger. Completely uncaring that she would be getting blood all over what looked like rather dirty urban combat fatigues, the fledgeling would then return to draining the iguana of all the blood she could get while mentally marking down that she was absolutely terrible at this whole shape-shifter thing.

30. - Top - End - #1140

The Crag

Caesa's smile returns at Benvolio's rebuttal. She had never seen hell, and did not intend to, but she does not doubt his claim. Perhaps she was just fooling herself.

In any case, his question demands more attention. It's even taken her by surprise, this rampant curiosity about her wanderings. Perhaps this devil's looking for a deal.

Caesa keeps her fist closed, crushing the ash and snow between her fingers. The witch's eyes dance in the fire hypnotically as she meets his gaze. She'll hold it as long as Mercutio dares to look upon her.

"Old places. Mass graves and blood-soaked mead halls. Forests where an axe has never been swung." The witch sighs. "I cannot leave for long. These places, and the things that live there, they sustain me."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-07-26 at 01:54 AM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters