New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1497
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Hunting Grounds

[Run Away, Run Away!]

Spreagadh tweens away, using The Space Between as a liminal, quite possibly appearing behind Serph, seeing as the fireball likely gave him away rather well, lashing out with a pair of thin knives the length of her forearm as she does, if she ends up in range of him.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Not a Good Idea]

The knives hit Kevlar on the body but the back of the neck was sliced but none too deeply. "Badidea." Serph turns to face the archer and tries to grab her by the wrists. The knives aren't too much of a problem as he's had military training. "Mageslikeyoureallyneedtosticktospellsyouknow? YouguyssuckatCQC. byebye. Ignite." His words slur. He wasn't able to have enough time to make the pyrotech larger but it should do. Everything in a ten pace radius should catch on fire no matter how cold it was. Fire hot enough to make your eyes explode like jelly if it hits. For good measure he makes the fireball slam down where both of them are. Fire doesn't hurt pyromancers.
    Last edited by Asha'man; 2012-11-26 at 06:15 PM.
    My Nexus characters that I consider important.
    Serph Oaruma
    Red Element

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ogre in the Playground

[Oh, I Don't Know About That...]

Spreagadh simply laughs when he tries to grab her wrists, trying to quickly slice his fingers off as he reaches for her, then tweening away again, ending up in another tree, perhaps a hundred yards away.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Sure, Run Away]

"That'sbettersinceyou'reamage." His words slur. Serph isn't cut he knows enough CQC to avoid that. The ignite still goes off though. Most likely everything 25 paces around Serph is schorched. Serph stands to see what archer does next but he's also preparing something, hopefully he can finish it this time. Probably not.
    Serph Oaruma
    Red Element

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ogre in the Playground

[Not a Mage, a Leannan Sidhe. Much More Dangerous.]

Spreagadh, for now, simply nocks another arrow, and sends it flying at the ground next to Serph; should it hit, it'll sink into the stone, and then, a moment later, sprout a tangle of thorn-covered vines, growing fast enough that he can see them moving, trying to wrap around his legs and pull him over; the thorns, being magical, should be able to pierce most types of mundane armor fairly easily.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    {Rock Clearing}

Caroline casts Mass Heal on Vincent and herself. It should heal moderately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    {Rock Clearing}

Well killing them all also seems to be a waste of precious turns if he can pull back three at a time. Hmm...

Vincent takes his turn to switch out his armor. Not going to take nearly as much damage now, with his buffs and a removal of weakness.
    The wolf beast howls again, swiping at one of the thunderbugs. Looks like its powering itself up again.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Dwarf in the Playground

[I Call 'em as I See Them]

The vines grow by his feet. This causes him to ignite a 5pace radius blast. It is smaller than the last blast but I judge he had less time to prepare this time. He uses the small blast to cover moving elsewhere again. He shouldn't be as easy to spot if the foe was that far and should have focused on the blast. Wherever he went he restarts what he was preparing.
    Last edited by Asha'man; 2012-11-28 at 05:55 PM.
    Serph Oaruma
    Red Element

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Troll in the Playground

{Rock Clearing}

Caroline blows a Flaming Burst Dart at the Beast. He's recharging!

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

{Rock Clearing}

"I know." What's he supposed to do about it though?

Well what he does do is use a bomb fragment from his items. Yay for random items that do damage to the enemies! Light fire damage for all of them! Might not be enough to take the bugs out, but its something at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

10. - Top - End - #1330

Rock Clearing

Good thing that the thunderbugs have low hp and a weakness to fire, as the bomb fragment takes them all. Course, now that leaves the big beast which is even stronger and it takes a leap at Vincent. Good thing for him that it hasn't been fully charged yet.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Troll in the Playground

{Rock Clearing}

With a roar, RAAAWR!! Caroline shifts into Catoline, and tries to tackle the beast before it reaches Vincent.

If she does, she'll dig her claws into it and try to take a bite as well.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ogre in the Playground

{Rock Clearing}

"What?! Wait, you can't do that! That's against the rules!"

Gah. It seems the battle shifted out of turn based and into a cutscene. Or into a real-time active battle system. Vincent is utterly disoriented by this and will get hit if Catoline doesn't intercept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

13. - Top - End - #1333

Rock Clearing

Well, given that Catoline is fairly strong, and that the beast was in the air, that should be enough to knock it off course enough to avoid Vincent. Catoline takes a bite of the beast, but all the electric power rushing through the beast might give her quite a painful shock, maybe lock her muscles up a bit.

The beast roars and tries to shake Catoline off of it.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

The mountains of the northwestern region look quite stunning, especially in the colder seasons, when snow falls freely and coats them in white, making them into towering, bright sights that look as though they're reaching for the heavens themselves.

Of course, this is the Nexus, where such great, tranquil appearances are, more often than not, broken easily, or are illusions to start.

Thus to many, it will be no surprise that something falls through the sky in a great, fiery-looking streak and crashes into the top of the mountain, kicking up a cloud of snow and dust...

And causing an avalanche to rush down the mountain, of course.

Naturally, the streak, cloud, and avalanche are all highly visible. Someone might want to investigate that.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

After the avalance has subsided, one small critter immediately approaches the object. It's not the kind of thing that you would think would last long in the hunting ground... a small white lizard, it's little tail poking up into the air. It has large eyes, and sharp teeth and claws... but it's not too deadly looking to anything much bigger than a lap dog.

The wind is picking up... it blows snow off of the mountain in short bursts. It's just an interesting note.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

It is at this point that a sound comes from beneath the snow, now at the bottom of the mountain.

"Detaching drop casing."

Then the area around the source of the sound practically explodes, launching metal slabs and snow everywhere. Whatever that thing's made of, it must be some tough stuff to take that drop.

But it's what comes after that that's really interesting. The same voice says, "Hazard drop test successful, let's not waste any more pods with FLIGHT-CAPABLE ARMOR..."

A man in what, to a more aware observer who actually knew what it was, would appear to be heavily modified Remnant/Irregular AT-01 power armor, leaps out afterward, landing on his feet. Its cape has been replaced by what looks like some sort of small, integrated backpack, it lacks either of the two organizations' paint schemes (it's more of a flat gray), the boots appear higher-tech than usual, and the whole suit looks a bit heavier than normal, between the AT-01 and Remnant's Sentinel Battlesuit.

"Everything seems to be in order..."

The unmarked soldier begins searching for a fight, drawing a rather large black sword from its sheath at his side, a pistol holster on his other side.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The lizard immediately scurries over to the armored individual, rears up on its hind legs and hisses, showing it's sharp teeth. Oh how terrifying. I bet it could kill a housecat on a good day.

The wind continues to blow at regular intervals, blowing some snow around.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

"...really. They told me this would be dangerous. Ah well." The armored man hits a switch on the sword hilt, causing the blade to quickly become superheated. More of that tech, it seems.

He points the sword at the belligerent lizard. "Might want to back off, there, little guy. Wouldn't want to use this thing." There's already heat coming off the blade, probably noticeable for the lizard, considering the thing's tip is probably right in its face.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The lizard seems unfazed by the sword. It hisses, and sways back and forth. It's little tail sticking straight up into the air...

Then from the air above the soldier a giant mouth full of dozens of needle-like teeth appears a split-second before it tries to bite him in two.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

"Oh." As the mouth appears, the soldier leans back, activates his boots, and launches into the air with the anti-grav tech built into them, at an angle just big enough to clear the mouth's biting area.

"Okay!" Naturally, as he rises, he brings the superheated blade up with him, making a rising slash at the edge of the mouth! It's made all the more powerful by the upward momentum and the enhanced strength of the power armor.
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2012-11-30 at 07:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The blade cuts through the lip or snout or something of the beast, and there is a momentary ripple in space revealing a large, dragon-like creature with giant wings! It's tail connects to the tail of the little lizard... like a lure.

But like that, the beast is back to being invisible (or just magically camouflaged), with even the small lure disappearing. However, the wind from the wings do not disappear... and a moment later there is a horrid shriek that might deafen unprotected ears.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SerphIvanXin123 View Post
    [I Call 'em as I See Them]

The vines grow by his feet. This causes him to ignite a 5pace radius blast. It is smaller than the last blast but I judge he had less time to prepare this time. He uses the small blast to cover moving elsewhere again. He shouldn't be as easy to spot if the foe was that far and should have focused on the blast. Wherever he went he restarts what he was preparing.
    Spreagadh hisses in anger, before tweening away again, and starting on a rather complex spell from her new position.

"North wind, north wind, old and chill, freeze this one who'd do me ill.
    East wind, east wind, sister young. Shield me from the trap I sprung.
    South wind, south wind, hot and strong, hold the who did me wrong.
    West wind, west wind, lover now, take all that I can allow.

Fire, fire, fire of the sun, cast yourself far from this one.
    Water, water, of the sea, from my foe I ask you flee.
    Earth upon which he now stands, cast from you his bloody hands."

As the first line is finished, the same chill wind from before sweeps through the forest once again, accompanied by a blinding blizzard, the ground cracking as spires of unnaturally chill ice, cold enough to tear the skin from any who touch them, form.

With the second, a new wind swirls around the Leannan, stirring the snow into a heavily obfuscating screen, and likely blowing strongly enough to prevent most missiles from going through it.

Meanwhile, a few moments later, when the third is completed, Serph might find himself being shoved to the ground and held there by yet another wind...

At the close of the fourth, Spreagadh slumps back in the tree, clearly drained, though why is a bit less clear, since nothing else seems to happen once she is...

In any case, whatever the reason, as she finishes the fifth, Serph may find his powers being suppressed if he tries to use them, fire suddenly seeming to have no place in this realm for some reason.

And, when the sixth reaches completion, Serph quite possibly finds himself starting to dry out, the water fleeing from his body, appearing as a cloud of mist over him as it condenses in the air, each droplet of mist freezing in seconds.

Finally, the ground around him quivers, an earthquake starting as the spell induces it to try to force Serph off of it, which is likely even more unpleasant if he's being held against it by the wind...

((All of that is attempted and can be interrupted at any point, of course.))

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

Fortunately, the soldier's helmet seems to work for protection quite well, and he starts cycling through its vision modes-chief among them IR and magic detection-in an effort to see the beast.

"You want me, come and get me!" He boosts further up with his anti-grav boots, drawing his pistol and firing on where the invisible monster just was in order to entice it to pursue. The pistol in question is a large one (not really an issue given 'power armor') and fires bolts of deadly plasma-likely based on the old Imperial Perforator model.

The fire isn't very accurate, though, given how much the soldier is moving and the dragon's invisibility.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The IR is effective, and a bit of watching reveals that the monster has four pairs of legs. The gunfire reveals that It also has impressive armor, given the sound of the ricochets... although how much damage the gunfire actually does is up in the air, given the invisibility part.

The draconic thing retaliates by trying to claw the soldier's gut open. The claws are about as strong as steel blades, a bit more durable, and have a dragon's worth of muscle behind them.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

Unfortunately for the dragon, the soldier has other plans and just keeps flying higher with the anti-grav, evidently trying to do something utterly insane and draw it into an aerial chase.

Thus, the ascent makes the clawing rather simply avoided. The plasma fire continues, more trying to annoy the thing than kill it-again, the man seems more intent on drawing it higher to chase him.

He is soaring up pretty high now.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The monster responds by flying up, and is very fast. It tries to get above the soldier, to get a degree of Ariel superiority. It doesn't know how to fight a man-sized thing that can fly... man things usually don't fly. In fact, they usually die immediately.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountains/Northwestern Airspace]

Under the helmet, the soldier smiles. "There you go."

It becomes apparent that this particular soldier's aerial capabilities are likely beyond the norm for Remnant and Irregular troops with hoverboot tech-the removal of the cape and the resulting backpack-esque thing may be an expanded power supply for the strength amplification and flight systems.

Not that the monster knows that.

Instead, the man gets a boost out of the anti-grav boots, launching himself up to the level of the ascending dragon after it flies past him...

To try and deliver a devastating, superheated slice to one of the beast's wings.
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2012-11-30 at 09:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountains/Northwestern Airspace

The first thing that happens is that the creature screams more. The wing membrane is cut, but it's not as effective as it should be; the monster somehow still flies. Wonder if there is something else going on here.

The monster becomes fully visible, a huge white dragon-like thing. The soldier might get a good look at the wing he slashed... it's not as bad as it's supposed to be... and it's getting better. So: it has regeneration that is not stopped by intense heat.

Of course, he might have trouble getting a look at that as the dragon is trying to grab him and drive him into the ground.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Troll in the Playground

Rock Clearing

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Well, given that Catoline is fairly strong, and that the beast was in the air, that should be enough to knock it off course enough to avoid Vincent. Catoline takes a bite of the beast, but all the electric power rushing through the beast might give her quite a painful shock, maybe lock her muscles up a bit.

The beast roars and tries to shake Catoline off of it.
    Catoline yelps as the surge of power courses through her, and she is thrown off hard, crashing into a tree with a sickening crack. Whether it's the tree or Catoline, is yet to be seen.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain/Northwestern Airspace]

"Oh, fu-" This time the soldier isn't so lucky, getting grabbed around the torso, but does two things simultaneously in an effort to break free.

With the luck to keep his arms free, he first flicks something on his plasma pistol and fires a particularly charged shot point-blank into the limb grabbing him. Next, he tries to stab the superheated blade as deep as he can into the offending limb, on the same spot he shot.

Hopefully that causes enough pain to make the thing let go.

(Attacks attempted, of course, but I figure at this range in this situation it doesn't really matter much.)
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links: