New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1497
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Hunting Grounds

Northwestern Mountain/Northwestern Airspace

More screeching as the dragon has horrible and immensely painful third degree burns dealt to its deep flesh. However, the desired is effect is achieved, mostly. The monster tries to throw the soldier into the nearby mountain, but that's still a bit away.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain/Northwestern Airspace]

As the soldier is thrown, he attempts to rip the superheated blade free, taking advantage of the force of the monster's own attack to make his own that much more powerful.

Regardless of the result, though, he's thrown, and the boots kick in to keep him in the air and not smashed into a mountainside. The result mostly determines whether or not he has his sword, or needs to retrieve it.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Dwarf in the Playground

The sword is ripped free and the monster screams. There is a big hole in that hand now...

And the monster gives chase, but instead tries to whip it's tail forward and rip off the soldier's face with it's tiny lizard tail! Tail lizard. Or whatever it is.

Also, the whole face-ripping thing probably won't work if the soldier is wearing a helmet with a face mask...

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, that, uh...doesn't work very well.

Because the soldier does, in fact, have one of those. It would hardly be proper futuristic power armor if it didn't have that.

He takes the opportunity the dragon closing grants and moves forward and up, trying to jam the blade into the dragon's underside and proceed to messily disembowel it.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Rock Clearing

Well, given that Catoline is fairly strong, and that the beast was in the air, that should be enough to knock it off course enough to avoid Vincent. Catoline takes a bite of the beast, but all the electric power rushing through the beast might give her quite a painful shock, maybe lock her muscles up a bit.

The beast roars and tries to shake Catoline off of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    Rock Clearing

Catoline yelps as the surge of power courses through her, and she is thrown off hard, crashing into a tree with a sickening crack. Whether it's the tree or Catoline, is yet to be seen.
    Rock Clearing

"Caroline!"
    See this is why you don't break the rules.

Vincent jumps forward and swings his massive sword at the beast, with the flat end. He mostly just wants to catch its attention so it doesn't go after Caroline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Spreagadh hisses in anger, before tweening away again, and starting on a rather complex spell from her new position.

"North wind, north wind, old and chill, freeze this one who'd do me ill.
    East wind, east wind, sister young. Shield me from the trap I sprung.
    South wind, south wind, hot and strong, hold the who did me wrong.
    West wind, west wind, lover now, take all that I can allow.

Fire, fire, fire of the sun, cast yourself far from this one.
    Water, water, of the sea, from my foe I ask you flee.
    Earth upon which he now stands, cast from you his bloody hands."

As the first line is finished, the same chill wind from before sweeps through the forest once again, accompanied by a blinding blizzard, the ground cracking as spires of unnaturally chill ice, cold enough to tear the skin from any who touch them, form.

With the second, a new wind swirls around the Leannan, stirring the snow into a heavily obfuscating screen, and likely blowing strongly enough to prevent most missiles from going through it.

Meanwhile, a few moments later, when the third is completed, Serph might find himself being shoved to the ground and held there by yet another wind...

At the close of the fourth, Spreagadh slumps back in the tree, clearly drained, though why is a bit less clear, since nothing else seems to happen once she is...

In any case, whatever the reason, as she finishes the fifth, Serph may find his powers being suppressed if he tries to use them, fire suddenly seeming to have no place in this realm for some reason.

And, when the sixth reaches completion, Serph quite possibly finds himself starting to dry out, the water fleeing from his body, appearing as a cloud of mist over him as it condenses in the air, each droplet of mist freezing in seconds.

Finally, the ground around him quivers, an earthquake starting as the spell induces it to try to force Serph off of it, which is likely even more unpleasant if he's being held against it by the wind...

((All of that is attempted and can be interrupted at any point, of course.))
    Serph feels the environment being used against him. Something tells him that this foe wasn't going to allow him to ready all his pyromancies at all. The first surge is not really of much use against him. The second passes through as well. The the third does not get a chance to touch him. For once he speaks clearly, "Flame shield, Flame Cloak, Flame Clone." There are now three Serphs coated in magical flame. Before the winds go to him he moves at the speed of flight to where the foe is. While in flight the three eat a pill and burn even hotter after which they draw blades. The real Serph has a laser blade hidden by flame the other two clones are just blades of flame but the difference is hard to notice. After the fourth Serph should be face to face with the foe. The fifth and six is battled by Serph with his own pyromancies. The three speak in unison, anger touched the voices. "YOU think I haven't been trained to fight Ice, wind and cold? You are full of yourself caster." The three lunge to attack the foe with swords. The three only attack to try and stop her from casting anymore but it is clear that they have also been focusing on something else, Serph still hasn't given up on his strongest move.
    My Nexus characters that I consider important.
    Serph Oaruma
    Red Element

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Dwarf in the Playground

The dragon moves back, but does get a long slash along it's belly. It retaliates by swinging another claw at the soldier, one of it's seven remaining non-wounded claws.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Orc in the Playground

The soldier makes an unorthodox maneuver, cutting the boots and dropping to avoid the claws, then reactivating them and boosting back up, trying to get behind the monster and grab onto its back, having holstered his pistol.

A power-armored grip ought to be pretty difficult to break.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rock Clearing

Provoke eh, well, the beast can respond to that. The beast swipes a clawed paw at Vincent. At this rate, its going to take a combined limit break or something to keep this beast from wiping the party.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Dwarf in the Playground

the monster is grabbed, and immediately starts writhing and flapping hard, and doing some harsh acrobatics in an attempt to mack the soldier lose his grip.

It's still shrieking. You would think that it would have figured out that didn't work by now.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

The soldier maintains his grip long enough that he can raise his sword and try to jam it into the beast's back and hold on to it to use it to anchor him to the monster.

Of course, given the man's weight, the monster's thrashing, and simple gravity, it's entirely possible that sword is going to move around and make the wound worse, assuming the sword-jamming works in the first place.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The sword jamming does work... and the wound quite quickly becomes bigger as the monster's thrashing aggravates it. The sword won't act as a good hold long at this rate... but it should be long enough to do something.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

"Got you now!" The soldier, taking the opportunity, attempts to slash the sword horizontally and rip it out of the beast. With it in the monster's back like this, he's hoping to slash through the damn thing's spine.

Assuming it follows such mundane rules of biology.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

Attempting to slash the sword through the thing's spine results in a loud CLANK! Because apparently its bones are made of the same, metal-like substance as its claws.

Why does it even need that lure?

Anyway, the monster is both in great pain and not very smart, so it continues to thrash about like a wounded animal with a painful thing on it's back.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

"Oh, seriously!?" The soldier doesn't seem particularly amused, and decides to finish by doing something utterly brutal to the beast.

Namely, he activates the boots again and sets them to boost, hoping to bring himself up and bring the sword with him-dragging it through the beast's flesh until it finally comes free.

While it's still grinding against the thing's spine.

That can't be very pleasant.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The sword quickly hits a rib, where it doesn't have much choice and slips out. The dragon spirals away, trying to get some distance so that it can do some basic strategizing.

Very basic. This isn't a real thinking monster. It's just been in enough fights that it can do a little bit of thinking ahead.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

It is quickly becoming evident that all these flesh wounds really aren't doing much. Gonna need a weak point at this rate.

The soldier follows the dragon, mainaining a bit of a distance, not closing to melee again. He wants to see what it tries.

He's also drawn that pistol again. Interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The dragon will turn around, try to seize the soldier in two of it's hands (two of the good hands, that is) and then try to bite the soldier's upper torso off!

As I said, very basic strategizing.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

Thankfully, he was anticipating something like that, and boosts back and up-trying to get himself level with the dragon's head...

...so he can fire a carefully aimed charged plasma shot, aimed right for the eye.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The dragon takes a shot in the eye, and it's head jerks back. It twists, turns, and tries to slam the soldier with it's tail... using the little eyes on its tail lizard to aim.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

This time, the soldier decides to go for an experiment and moves forward and to the side a bit, bringing up his sword and trying to slash through the tail to sever the lizard lure.

The idea is that the tail's momentum will make it worse for the poor lizard-tail.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The tail lizard is severed and goes flying off in an arc!

The draconic creature then twists in the air again to try and bash the soldier with a wing... apparently oblivious to the fact that this will give the soldier another shot at its wing membrane.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Troll in the Playground

Rock Clearing

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Provoke eh, well, the beast can respond to that. The beast swipes a clawed paw at Vincent. At this rate, its going to take a combined limit break or something to keep this beast from wiping the party.
    Catoline stands up, wobbly for a moment. When she sees the beast is concentrating on Vincent, she leaps for the beast's back. Again she tries to sink her fangs and claws into it.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ogre in the Playground

Rock Clearing

To be fair, provoking was also a big heavy sword attack. Even if not with the sharp end.

Of course, there was a dual purpose to attacking with the flat end. Now that all the rules are broken, Vincent can block. Which he does, by turning the sword to take the blow instead of him. BLOCK!

Vincent fails to get a counter in though. Learning new mechanics quickly is hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

The soldier backs off, but it just barely isn't enough, and he takes a smack with a wing. It wasn't really a good hit, though, and his armor holds, the effect mostly that he gets sent back a bit.

He tries to take the opportunity to get in a slice at the wing anyway, though, making up the wingsmack-induced distance with his own flight.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The slash does some damage, but not a lot. The drconic monster then turns to face the soldier, and drops any attempt at planning in favor of attempting to eviscerate the soldier with all its claws.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

The soldier boosts back again, not really feeling like getting eviscerated today. That, and I really can't imagine a partially blinded monster in terrible pain has the best aim, but that's really not up to me.

He decides to try and rectify that partially blinded thing, raising the plasma pistol and firing at the beast's intact eye.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The monster is hit in the other eye, and is now utterly blind. It does more aerial flailing in an attempt to kill the soldier... which is probably useless. At this point, all the soldier needs to do is actually kill the thing.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Orc in the Playground

[Northwestern Mountain]

The soldier closes in for the kill, deftly maneuvering to avoid the mad flailing as he moves in toward the monster's head, sword raised. "It'll all stop hurting soon!"

Upon getting close enough, he lunges forward, trying to jam his sword through the creature's eye and into its brain, then jerk it right back out.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Dwarf in the Playground

Northwestern Mountain

The screeching stops. The flapping stops. The falling starts.

It is dead. It will fall to the ground, onto some rocks, tumble down into a snowbank. The soldier has won.