New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default I need help. Discussion: The Science of Magic

*This post has been removed*
    Last edited by Nilled; 2012-05-13 at 10:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: I need help. Discussion: The Science of Magic

From the quotation marks, I take it you already know of magitech. Looking at your spell list, I see a lot of spells not in SRD for sorcs, at least not at those levels. Has this been homebrewed, or are these splatbooks? Well, actually that doesn't matter, but could you give a brief description of those spells? By name, they look like a very good list for what you are trying for. And with that free CR 5 companion, you are liable to get very powerful, very fast.

So now for the magictech. To clarify, you need to feed your golem rocks to teach it tricks? And you want a way to craft magic items to empower your pet psionic robot (who somehow has an Int of 1, but a Cha of 21 and Dex 23)? If I am correct, and you can craft magic items; Why not just make magic items for your cohort? All of this could get very out of hand, because you can sit there and heal it every time it takes any damage, it's CR 5 at level 7, and you are still capable of dealing some damage and missing some hits (mage armor). However, magic items seems the way to go, and I don't think your DM can argue with you over that one.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xechon View Post
    From the quotation marks, I take it you already know of magitech.
    Hello there! I would very much advise taking a look at that. It is massive, ancient and ill-formatted, but it sounds like it will fit your needs quite nicely.

In short, it allows you to turn spells into little devices, complete with wiring and batteries. It includese a ton of new spells, as well as support for robots, mecha, skyships, deathstars, lasers, magic-factories, and more. Fun abounds. /blatantselfadvertisement

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The first thing to keep in mind (and perhaps explain to your DM) is that "the science of magic" is what wizards are about, not sorcerers. Sorcerers are based on intuition and natural ability; if they try to do science with magic, they're more likely to end up with SCIENCE!!! (of the mad scientist variety).

That said, that could still work. But you're not going to end up with small steps toward magitech; instead you're going to come up with a method because it "feels right" (with no real explanation), and it's going to work in a sizable, but perhaps not fully reliable, manner.

So pick some ritual that seems it might work, and plan out with the DM what it will do and what the unforeseen side effects will be. (Consider looking at the rules for cursed items for some ideas on the side effects.) Remember, sorcerers don't know why it works, so you don't have to either (or so I'd argue anyway).

Also, your character isn't necessarily bad. From what you say, the worst I can reliably say about him is that he's unoptimized, but that's not necessarily so bad, especially with a "rule of cool" DM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Depends what lore, generally magic is derived from the weave either by hacking it, which is a wizards job, or being a conduit like a sorcerer.
    The weave is like a tapestry that holds the magical layer of the material plane in place, it can be manipulated, altered or destroyed. This can create dead-magic zones, wild magic zones, magical pollution or other such phenomenon.

In terms of whats related to your interest, I'd suggest looking into eberron as that's essentially what it brings to the table, industrialization of magic.

Magic items are already magical tech if you look at it from the perspective of complexity within the items---

In my campaigns I look at it this way, instead off memorizing a "spell" which would be words, hand positions, ect on a wizard or sorc, ect, for arcane casters I use 'patterns', pages of the book are filled with semi-magical patterns, you inscribe them to your memory, and has 1 layer of pattern per spell level, which is why something like powerword XXXX fills like seven pages. Each of the layers contain all the components of both the trigger, the effect and the display, fourth dimensionally (or more dimensions if needed).

Using this understanding, a sense of magical circuitry comes into effect, but instead of grids and chips you are free to flavor the patterning of the magical item however you want-- intricate and ornate patterning, jewels and crystal resonance, live energy containment, biotech, whatever you want.

Because arcane spells are patterns, they can be hacked by the spells trigger (aka casting) or can be coded into an object, a scroll, chemical triggering such as a potion, ect.

In terms of the masters of magitech, wizard and artificer are the kings, you need high int for craft and skillpoints.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nilled View Post
    What you say is true! and thank you for you words. I apologize for not being more specific. My character is a sorcerer and behaves the way you described in terms of magic. But my character is also builder who is enticed with how magic can work together with non magical devices and contraptions. So he may not really understand how magic itself works but would like to understand how he can control and utilize it with non magical methods.
    I still suspect a sorcerer would rely more on intuition than theory for that, as you can't really understand the interaction between magic and nonmagical stuff if you don't understand both independently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    Depends what lore, generally magic is derived from the weave either by hacking it, which is a wizards job, or being a conduit like a sorcerer.
    The weave is like a tapestry that holds the magical layer of the material plane in place, it can be manipulated, altered or destroyed. This can create dead-magic zones, wild magic zones, magical pollution or other such phenomenon.
    Is there any source for the weave outside the specific setting of FR? Certainly the core books indicate nothing of the sort.

In terms of whats related to your interest, I'd suggest looking into eberron as that's essentially what it brings to the table, industrialization of magic.
    This makes sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

SolithKnightGuy

Last edited by Rejakor; 2012-05-11 at 10:22 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't believe in 3.5, but perhaps PF and after.