New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Defend this City! [3.5]

Quote Originally Posted by invaderk2 View Post
    It should be reiterated

5000 balors = 1,450,000 hps + 45,000 other demons = more than d8's needed lol.
    good point. but it take out the brunt of the weaker ones and if you maximize it then your dealing a decent set amout every hit. or just make something that can cast banishment over and over haha.
    GENERATION 19

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

TBH my thinking is that if you have to defend the place and so if the demons arrive, you are screwed and cant win at all at level 15, beeing 6 months or 6 years of preparation.

Your only chance is to find what they are looking for (you dont bring such an army just to destroy a city) and hide/protect/put somewhere else that thing.

3. - Top - End - #93

Don't allow the attack to happen. In a traditional battle, based on the information and resources currently available, you cannot win.

You will be facing an absolutely overwhelming force deploying in a manner that will make effective response exceedingly difficult and containment simply impossible. They will get in. They will have run of the city. Only your party and the notable NPCs will be able to slow them down at any location, and most of those won't be able to deal with even a single Balor.

Even if your party was tough enough to defeat the entire horde in battle, the simple fact is that you can only be in one place at a time, and the Demons will be everywhere. The city will have been utterly destroyed and the population all but eradicated before you could kill them all. Hell, the Death Throes of 5,000 Balors would be enough to cause catastrophic damage.

You have 6 months to discover and neutralize the forces responsible for the invasion. In D&D terms, that's plenty of time. A small party of high-level characters is much better suited to this sort of inter-planar commando raid than they are at trying to be a conventional army.

Alternatively, your real objective is not the preservation of the city; it's the safety of one as-yet unborn child. If it's possible, you may be able to achieve victory simply by getting them (or their parents) to safety. It's not the most heroic option, leaving the city to be consumed, but in the grand scheme of things it seems to have better odds than winning an impossible battle or assassinating a Demon Prince in his own domain.

Or, you know, just go fight four encounters per day for the next few months and be so far into epic levels that the entire demonic army probably won't give you experience.
    Last edited by Voyager_I; 2012-05-11 at 08:24 PM.
    Praise me not for my born strengths, but for what I make of them.
    Scorn me not for my born faults, but for my failure to overcome them.

The Practical Monk's Manuscript

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

It may be worth it just yo snipe at the balors, their death throe is a liability to the demons(balors-290,marilith-216, glabrezu-174,nalfashee-175, hezrou-133,dretch-13,vrock-115,babau-66, succubus-33). Almost no demons will make the save and most will be severely injured by it.

Dont just spread your CBs through the city, cast them on wearable items and wear loads of them. 2d6 apop is nothing to sneeze at.

Since you cant get help, create some traps of power word death set to kill any demons. traps of summon monster could help make up for your numbers.

Blinding glory is the best blinding good spell, but hardly the onlyone. many "Good" spells blind as well. It is therefore prudent to familirize oneself with the blind condition.

The character cannot see. He takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a –4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.
    Blindness removes LoS making most SLAs useless (beware of blasphemy and GDM of Balors, but you should really snipe them first)

It also makes attacking a fools errand.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Killing the 5000 Balors isn't hard, its that whole deaththroes/collateral damage/being alive afterwords that's the hard bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You don't see the gnomes running around fighting wars with each other, do you? No, because they're civilized.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Killing the 5000 Balors isn't hard, its that whole deaththroes/collateral damage/being alive afterwords that's the hard bit.
    Hence one of the reasons you don't simply kill 5000 of them lol. And if killing 5000 balors isn't hard, I never want to play in one of your campaigns lol.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    haha well you could just use that deaththroes thing to your advantage there will be nearly shoulder to shoulder demons in the streets balors probably with in range of each others death throe you could set off a chain reaction that kills all ground based demons haha. but only if your really really lucky
    GENERATION 19

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by arixe View Post
    haha well you could just use that deaththroes thing to your advantage there will be nearly shoulder to shoulder demons in the streets balors probably with in range of each others death throe you could set off a chain reaction that kills all ground based demons haha. but only if your really really lucky
    Someone else brought this up as well but you'd level the entire town as well which would be counter intuitive.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by invaderk2 View Post
    Someone else brought this up as well but you'd level the entire town as well which would be counter intuitive.
    ah yes true didnt quite think that one thru but it be funny
    GENERATION 19

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Contact a genie or efreeti or whatever and.."boy do I wish that that day would never come."

"I wish this day would repeat itself forever."

12. - Top - End - #102

you could always use the 6 months to get two if theirs a wizard in the party then he could use gate and summon solar angles to fight
    GENERATION 19

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Another tool that you might use is "Erupt" from Serpent Kingdoms. It's a L9 cleric spell doing caster level*10 damage at the same range as Blinding Glory.

It will destroy virtually all structures, but structures don't seem survivable anyways with 5000 walking/flying bombs attacking. You'll need to energy substitute it to Cold or Acid.

Combine with a Wierdstone to break initial gating, making the invasion slow enough that people have some time to duck into prepared underground defensive tunnels with strong wards and a plentiful supply of sacred stones to prevent demons from entering.

Invest in the appropriate energy immunity for all above-ground defenders. Note that Erupt is a Burst spell, and hence that the appropriate bend in the tunnel will protect those seeking shelter.

Use Erupt from a strategically chosen (and if possible prepared) position once the demons get close. Use something to lure the demons en masse towards this position. Cast Erupt, possibly a few times, to kill even the demons that save every time. The quantity of demons becomes irrelevant, so long as they are all within caster level * 100 feet. Casting is not instantaneous, so you should be clever about how you are going to scrape together a few rounds at ground zero of the demon invasion. Incorporeality and using the ground for cover can be helpful, as well as careful preparations.

Have a plentiful supply of sacred arrow wielding militia able to come out and clean up any demons that accidentally found sufficient shelter from Erupts.

For bonus points, avoid destroying your Wierdstone and make sure you have some way to dig out survivors afterwards as tunnel mouths may easily collapse.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

Male

Now that I think about it, are the demons there to kill the child, or to take it and raise it to stop The Blood War? They'd want to stop the war so they have free reign on the rest of the multiverse. It's not like Good is powerful enough to stop them if the devils weren't there to bite chunks out of their hides.

Don't let them get the kid (or his ancestors). Destroy his soul instead, or make it otherwise unattainable.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What he say. Ending the blood war is a bad bad bad idea.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground

1. Buy a map of the city.
    2. Divide city up into 60 foot squares.
    3. Commune. You have 15 questions. "Will Square X be the site of one of the demonic invasion portals?"
    4. If it isn't, ignore it.
    5. If it is, rent out that area, cast Forbiddance there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.