New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.6: Are you engaging in reproductive behavior with this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    That's my favorite Engineer, personally . The turret is great, it can turn any mook into a walking bomb with Cryo Blast + Incinerate, and it's the only class that can take advantage of Incinerate's rank 6 bonus that doubles its damage when used on frozen/chilled enemies. It just needs a weapon that beats shields - which is why I use my Geth Plasma SMG with it.

Zevox
    The N7 Paladin (Sentinel) has Energy Drain, Incinerate and Snap Freeze (short range freezing cone). So that class also can take full advantage of the rank 6 damage boost to frozen targets on Incinerate. Also the rank 6 "Shield Mastery(Fitness)" allows you to choose between fire and freezing damage on your melee attacks. So if you choose freeze, you can ignore Snap Freeze and shield bash->Incinerate for fun times.

And now I really want to respec that class. And now, of course, I don't have any respec cards because I'm still tinkering with builds for the new classes and the store has not been forthcoming with them

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that, though I previously said I worked early on Friday, it has since changed and I won't be on until ~10:30pm(EST) Friday night. So for anyone who wanted me to help with the squad goal, that's the earliest I will be availabe.
    Last edited by Krade; 2012-07-27 at 01:40 AM.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.6: Are you engaging in reproductive behavior with this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Not sure how mine happened then, but the DoT still works. Not that it's anything to write home about, but...
    Yeah, I was just coming here to report this. Played a game as my Ex-Cerberus Adept, and Lash definitely does not detonate on armored targets. It does have a minor persistent damage effect, but frankly, for how little it does, the only reason to ever use it for that is if it's way too dangerous for you to get in close for Smash and you gun is just no good against armor. Even then, you're still probably better off focusing on the other enemy types around and letting your allies shoot the armored thing instead.

(Oh, and the game in question has now thoroughly cemented Firebase London as my most hated map. Even with a team that's intelligent enough to use the ramp area, that thing is awful. And wave 10 King-of-the-Hill is all but impossible, because all of its KotH areas are horrible defensive positions, worse even than Firebase Hydra's. I'm seriously reaching the point where I may start dropping out of games if we get that map on random - it just is not fun, ever.)

Phantoms have always had that shield, they just made it visible recently.
    I know. My point was just that Stasis beats it, where no other power does.

And hunters, well that doesn't really help at all. You still have to sight down on them and fire it, or spray them to render them targetable. Though I suppose the instant cast makes sighting them and firing easier.
    Sure it does. Stasis will hit Hunter if you manually aim at them while they're invisible and toss it off. Or, for an easier time, aim at their feet, assuming you have the Field upgrade.

You know that SMGs do not do any better against shields than any other weapon right? That was specifically removed between ME2 and 3, along with hot guns doing more damage at close range and heavy pistols doing more damage to armor.
    That particular SMG definitely does better against shields, however. It very visibly eats through them faster than pretty much any other gun I use.

Also, being on a team with one of the many cryo-inducing classes or bringing along cryo Ammo gives you the boost, thought its harder to utilize.
    "Many cryo-inducing classes?" There are exactly three of those: Human Infiltrator, Quarian Engineer, N7 Paladin Sentinel. Not what I'd call "many," and the most commonly seen of them, the Infiltrator, very often just ignores that power and does straight cloak-snipe play.

Honestly, it'd be just silly to take that upgrade as any Incinerate-using class without a cryo power of its own unless you have a friend you always play with who is willing to always use a freeze-inducing class or cryo ammo when you use the class in question. Otherwise you're putting it up to random match-making whether you've wasted that upgrade or not. Plus the alternative, the armor damage boost, is still plenty good, it's just that the double damage versus frozen/chilled is better if you have a consistent method of causing those effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    The N7 Paladin (Sentinel) has Energy Drain, Incinerate and Snap Freeze (short range freezing cone). So that class also can take full advantage of the rank 6 damage boost to frozen targets on Incinerate. Also the rank 6 "Shield Mastery(Fitness)" allows you to choose between fire and freezing damage on your melee attacks. So if you choose freeze, you can ignore Snap Freeze and shield bash->Incinerate for fun times.
    Right, I had forgotten that class because it's so new and I don't have it yet. So that makes two that can do that. I'd give an advantage in that area to the Quarian, though, since Cryo Blast is long range and has a faster cooldown than Snap Freeze.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-07-27 at 01:46 AM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello, all! I am here to totally derail the current conversation, and return us to the game that is ME1 for:

A N00Bs Adventures in Mass Effect

Anyway, my first Xbox arrived a month ago, and Halo Reach, Modern Warfares 2&3, Portal 2, and Mass Effect. Progress was slow on my Mass Effect game at first, what with my fighting through campaigns on Veteran difficulty and racking up achievements as quickly as I could. But then I returned to ME, and concluded the epic story of Shepard versus Soverign. And with that victory secured, I became curious of how different the game would be from a different angle, and started a new game, which I wrapped up in 36 real-time hours. I don't know if this is normal, but when I played ME, I really got into the RP part of the game, and created a whole personality behind the characters I played. The concept behind my first Shepard was that he was generally paragon, but occasionally snapped, and when he did, people usually got hurt (koffUdina). However, I didn't find that many opportunities for him to snap, and he ended the game something like 85-15 percent paragon/renegade.

For my second character, I took advantage of something unique I noticed in the paragon/renegade system. Unlike a simple good/evil or light/dark system, paragon and renegade points seem to me to also cover a lawful/chaotic spectrum, and thus I was able to make a solid "chaotic good"-ish character. This time with a female Shepard, I went usually renegade, but went paragon on the big moral choices (though the only reason I didn't melt the rachni queen was that she/I couldn't stomach murdering a defensless sentient being. I wish there had been a "if you double-cross me, I'm going to hunt you down myself" option.) For a while it was a very close race between paragon and renegade, but in the end, it was Wrex's not dying that solidified her as a paragon. (I ordered the fleet to concentrate on Soverign, earning me 8 paragon and 9 renegade instead of a big boost either way). She ended the game about 65-35 Paragon. However, there were three things in that playthough that truly made me feel like a horible person. One was the Acension, as mentioned above, and the other was what I will justify IC as an overreaction to Conrad Verner (this is what it felt like during the Blitz. Do you like it?), and (actually in both games), leting emotion/romance taint who lived and who died on Virmire, exactly why militaries have fraternization regulations. I now need to get the other two games and continue these two characters. It will be interesting to see the differences in their stories, especally between the two different councils there will be in them.

Stat-wise, I did:

Male Vanguard
    Spacer Ruthless
    Ashley and Garrus as go-to team
    Nuked Kaidan
    Level 37 by end of game (with a minimum of sidequesting)

Female Soldier
    Earthborn War hero
    Wrex and Garrus as go-to team
    Nuked Ashley
    Level 43 by end of game (with less paragon-quests on Noveria, but more galactic sidequesting)

So, yes, I have been sucesfully indoctrinated by Mass Effect, and I will now be hunting down more. I hope you can forgive me for comming out of nowhere and intruding like this, but I needed to rave about this game.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

4. - Top - End - #934
    Troll in the Playground

A word of warning, mixed paths in ME2 lead to decreased dialogue options. Why? Bioware has a little imp messing up all the awesome that's why.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    A word of warning, mixed paths in ME2 lead to decreased dialogue options. Why? Bioware has a little imp messing up all the awesome that's why.
    Better than giving up combat ability for dialogue options in ME1, I say. Especially considering how many points you'd need to max out both types of conversation skills.

Anyway, played as my Ex-Cerberus Vanguard today. I found out one thing very quickly: charging into a group then trying to use Smash? Not a good idea. Charge's cooldown time + Smash's startup time = plenty of time for you to get killed. Smash got relegated to basically two uses for me: attacking enemies from behind the safety of high cover/walls, and hitting the big units (preferably when there were few supporting units near them or when my allies were around to draw fire).

Oh, and against armored enemies, Smash spam is much better than Smash -> Charge biotic combos. Between Smash's significantly shorter cooldown compared to Charge, the fact that it already does high damage in an AoE, and the fact that neither power gets detonate, it just isn't even a contest.

Instead, I found that the great synergy of the class is between Charge and its amazing heavy melee. Quick AoE damage after I Charge a group of enemies? Oh yes, that worked out amazingly. Kinda like Nova, except it trades damage output and radius for recovery speed and not using up your shields. (The radius was still surprisingly a little larger than it looks though). I may need to respec this one day to get one of the melee damage bonuses from Fitness instead of straight durability upgrades. I'll definitely be switching to using a shotgun melee damage mod and my biotic damage/melee damage gear with it.

Today's Premium pack got me increased medi-gel capacity (now up to 4), but nothing else good. Still, at least it wasn't a total loss. I notice though that my supply of medi-gel (and ops survival packs, which I can use 3 of per match) is beginning to run low. I built up quite the supply of them from spam-buying Veteran packs, but since I switched to Premium packs after the new DLC dropped, I've been using them much faster than I've been getting more. Might need to switch back to Veteran packs if I run out of either.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-07-27 at 03:22 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #936
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Hello, all! I am here to totally derail the current conversation, and return us to the game that is ME1 for:

A N00Bs Adventures in Mass Effect

Anyway, my first Xbox arrived a month ago, and Halo Reach, Modern Warfares 2&3, Portal 2, and Mass Effect. Progress was slow on my Mass Effect game at first, what with my fighting through campaigns on Veteran difficulty and racking up achievements as quickly as I could. But then I returned to ME, and concluded the epic story of Shepard versus Soverign. And with that victory secured, I became curious of how different the game would be from a different angle, and started a new game, which I wrapped up in 36 real-time hours. I don't know if this is normal, but when I played ME, I really got into the RP part of the game, and created a whole personality behind the characters I played. The concept behind my first Shepard was that he was generally paragon, but occasionally snapped, and when he did, people usually got hurt (koffUdina). However, I didn't find that many opportunities for him to snap, and he ended the game something like 85-15 percent paragon/renegade.

For my second character, I took advantage of something unique I noticed in the paragon/renegade system. Unlike a simple good/evil or light/dark system, paragon and renegade points seem to me to also cover a lawful/chaotic spectrum, and thus I was able to make a solid "chaotic good"-ish character. This time with a female Shepard, I went usually renegade, but went paragon on the big moral choices (though the only reason I didn't melt the rachni queen was that she/I couldn't stomach murdering a defensless sentient being. I wish there had been a "if you double-cross me, I'm going to hunt you down myself" option.) For a while it was a very close race between paragon and renegade, but in the end, it was Wrex's not dying that solidified her as a paragon. (I ordered the fleet to concentrate on Soverign, earning me 8 paragon and 9 renegade instead of a big boost either way). She ended the game about 65-35 Paragon. However, there were three things in that playthough that truly made me feel like a horible person. One was the Acension, as mentioned above, and the other was what I will justify IC as an overreaction to Conrad Verner (this is what it felt like during the Blitz. Do you like it?), and (actually in both games), leting emotion/romance taint who lived and who died on Virmire, exactly why militaries have fraternization regulations. I now need to get the other two games and continue these two characters. It will be interesting to see the differences in their stories, especally between the two different councils there will be in them.

Stat-wise, I did:

Male Vanguard
    Spacer Ruthless
    Ashley and Garrus as go-to team
    Nuked Kaidan
    Level 37 by end of game (with a minimum of sidequesting)

Female Soldier
    Earthborn War hero
    Wrex and Garrus as go-to team
    Nuked Ashley
    Level 43 by end of game (with less paragon-quests on Noveria, but more galactic sidequesting)

So, yes, I have been sucesfully indoctrinated by Mass Effect, and I will now be hunting down more. I hope you can forgive me for comming out of nowhere and intruding like this, but I needed to rave about this game.
    No intrusion at all. That's what this thread is here for after all!

A surprising amount of people got behind the RP aspect. I am only familiar with people making themselves in such games, but in mass effect there was a much higher incidence of making characters. It was actually pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Oh? The only one I can think of was Morinth, and that was solvable by wearing the death mask with "don't show helmets in cutscenes". Anything else?

I played about the same way, but backwards. Predominantly Renegade because stupid things like whether you're racist or not shouldn't affect the fate of the galaxy, random stranger, now stop enslaving quatrains and sell me something!

Better than giving up combat ability for dialogue options in ME1, I say. Especially considering how many points you'd need to max out both types of conversation skills.
    A functional non-issue, almost. Unfortunately, early on is when you need those dialogue choices...

The difference between caster, combat brute and diplomat are sort of RPG staples though. So I didn't find that too big an issue. You can't have everything, and the numbers are small enough that strict specialization isn't too heavily rewarded.

Anyway, played as my Ex-Cerberus Vanguard today. I found out one thing very quickly: charging into a group then trying to use Smash? Not a good idea. Charge's cooldown time + Smash's startup time = plenty of time for you to get killed. Smash got relegated to basically two uses for me: attacking enemies from behind the safety of high cover/walls, and hitting the big units (preferably when there were few supporting units near them or when my allies were around to draw fire).
    Yes. Someone tried to warn you I think, though myself I was hopin you could pull it off.
    Lash synergies well here, actually, as a lash at maximum range can set up a detonation when you get there, giving you time to smash the nonbelievers. Lash can be detonated without the DoT, you just have to get the timing right (hence long range; you should have powers back by the time the lash strikes the target).

Oh, and against armored enemies, Smash spam is much better than Smash -> Charge biotic combos. Between Smash's significantly shorter cooldown compared to Charge, the fact that it already does high damage in an AoE, and the fact that neither power gets detonate, it just isn't even a contest.
    An unfortunate truth. You end up getting more mileage giving smash the tech burst DoT, as the end damage comes out equal and the radius on a tech burst is much greater with a chance of stun. Suddenly, you not only recover shields from the atlas but mess up his assail trooper support too.

Of course, my Phoenix vanguard has a scorpion at +200%, so I don't need to worry about damage output at all.

Instead, I found that the great synergy of the class is between Charge and its amazing heavy melee. Quick AoE damage after I Charge a group of enemies? Oh yes, that worked out amazingly. Kinda like Nova, except it trades damage output and radius for recovery speed and not using up your shields. (The radius was still surprisingly a little larger than it looks though). I may need to respec this one day to get one of the melee damage bonuses from Fitness instead of straight durability upgrades. I'll definitely be switching to using a shotgun melee damage mod and my biotic damage/melee damage gear with it.
    I suggest you stick to the stronghold package. Shield recharge is remarkably worthwhile or any class that goes into melee. Or even extende firefights. At level 3, 14%/7%, it is as functional at keeping me alive as 3 ranks of fitness, meaning I can drop fitness entirely with no loss.

If you are willing to change up your play style, try biotic charge 6 with radius, fitness with melee/melee/shields, and I you have one, the piranha with a bayonet and extended barrel.
    When you charge into enemies, you stagger all of them and come up into the heavy melee (which toucan prime for almost before you execute the charge) for a quick one-two. A dodge roll here, as most enemies will begin trying to snipe you, an come up into another heavy melee (which should have a huge boost from having taken down an enemy already). Any stragglers can be handled by dodging backwards, and peppering the entire crowd with the piranha whose spread will hit them all and whose damage will make that spread not suck. It is high risk, high reward, an you want to be ready to just biotic charge again - in fact, heavy melee can be looked at like a stagger effec to keep you safe while you recharge - but the output is fun and versatile, especially I you have token ranks in lash and smash, where you can gestalt in some adept and some soldier for those rare situations that vanguard doesn't work.

Today's Premium pack got me increased medi-gel capacity (now up to 4), but nothing else good. Still, at least it wasn't a total loss. I notice though that my supply of medi-gel (and ops survival packs, which I can use 3 of per match) is beginning to run low. I built up quite the supply of them from spam-buying Veteran packs, but since I switched to Premium packs after the new DLC dropped, I've been using them much faster than I've been getting more. Might need to switch back to Veteran packs if I run out of either.

Zevox
    Know that feeling.
    I suggest you save up credits from several days, enough to get our or five packs.
    Delete your DLC except Earth.
    Buy packs, getting only base equipment or Earth drops.
    Redownload the rest.
    Buy jumbo equipment packs.

Boost your shot of getting new stuff, to tide you over to play with while buying the needed equipment.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well, I bought some Microsoft points and bought all the PSPs that I could (+1 Spectre Pack) and....

I got everything that I wanted. I now have the Destroyer, the Slayer and the Geth Infiltrator along with a bunch of other extra goodies.

The Destroyer is everything that I had hoped it would be. I can kick wholesale ass on gold difficulty. I maxed out the passive and fitness skills, along with Destroyer mode with the bonus to Shields to take the sting out the rocket launcher's shield drain. Good Lord, the weapon damage on this class is incredible. I tore an Atlas to pieces with my Revenant.

I specced my Slayer for massive amounts of melee damage, and Gold has finally become unquestionably fun for me.

Haven't had a chance to try the Geth Infiltrator due to a rather wonky connection to the server, but I will at the first available opportunity.

Oh, I forgot to mention something. This isn't a class that I had any interest in, but I got the Asari Justicar added to my adept roster. I'll have to give her a try, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

The difference between caster, combat brute and diplomat are sort of RPG staples though.
    Caster and combat brute, sure. "Diplomat" is not one I've ever heard of as being separate from the rest, though, as it's a non-combat skill set.

Lash synergies well here, actually, as a lash at maximum range can set up a detonation when you get there, giving you time to smash the nonbelievers. Lash can be detonated without the DoT, you just have to get the timing right (hence long range; you should have powers back by the time the lash strikes the target).
    I don't see how that would work, given Lash pulls enemies off quite the distance. You'd have to be both lucky and skilled enough to have an enemy at a good distance from a group and hit them with Lash from the right angle to get them to drop into that group for your combo to go off right.

I suggest you stick to the stronghold package. Shield recharge is remarkably worthwhile or any class that goes into melee. Or even extende firefights. At level 3, 14%/7%, it is as functional at keeping me alive as 3 ranks of fitness, meaning I can drop fitness entirely with no loss.
    I wasn't using the shields/recharge gear, I was using the straight shields gear. Because recharge means much less to a Vanguard, who recharges his shields via Charge more often than not. Also, most of my gear is still only at rank 1 - only my biotic damage and melee/biotic damage ones have even hit rank 2.

If you are willing to change up your play style, try biotic charge 6 with radius, fitness with melee/melee/shields, and I you have one, the piranha with a bayonet and extended barrel.
    The Piranha is too heavy for me, as I said before.

Know that feeling.
    I suggest you save up credits from several days, enough to get our or five packs.
    Delete your DLC except Earth.
    Buy packs, getting only base equipment or Earth drops.
    Redownload the rest.
    Buy jumbo equipment packs.

Boost your shot of getting new stuff, to tide you over to play with while buying the needed equipment.
    Much as I hate the booster system, that feels a little too much like cheating for my taste. Plus, jumbo equipment packs? No, I see no reason I'd ever touch those.

Zevox

9. - Top - End - #939
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, right on. Third PSP since the patch, And i got th N7 Demo. Probably the class I was least excited about, but she still looks really fun.

Now I don't have to be the only lame kid on the block without the new toys :)
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Played a little more tonight, switching to my Slayer, and I quickly realized that, as I have them specced, the Ex-Cerberus Vanguard and Slayer are extremely similar. Smash and Biotic Slash are more alike than any other two powers (not counting Biotic and Electric Slash, since they're blatantly the same thing), and aside from that the thing that sets them both apart for me is their melee abilities. Making the only big difference between them the teleports of the Slayer, and the fact that the Slayer's melee focuses on high-damage single-target regular melee attacks where the Ex-Cerberus Vanguard's focuses on a fast AoE heavy melee attack.

I'm not sure what to do about that though, since I don't see any alternative build to either that I think I'd like to try. (Plus I don't have a respec card at this point, and am not so eager to change this that I'd promote the class.)

On the up side, got a good Premium pack. Upgraded my Eviscerator to rank 6, and finally gave me a Carnifex. Granted I'll want a few upgrades to that to reduce the weight before I start using it on my casters, but still, I've been quite bothered that I didn't even have a rank 1 version of it yet, so that was great to see. It also gave me 5 medi-gel, so that's a nice perk. Sadly my other rare was an upgrade to my Widow, but oh well, I still got a Carnifex at last.

Zevox

11. - Top - End - #941

I'm thankful for the pistol ULM. I have the Carny II on my casters, and my recharge is at around +194%

And I hadn't thought aabout the Cerberus/Slayer similarity. Makes me a little less eager to unlock the Slayer now, I'll admit.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm really hoping to unlock either the Paladin (class) the Typhoon and the Devastator. I recently learned of the Adrenaline Rush + Revenant never-have-to-reload trick, and would love to be able to do that with the other gun that is capable of the same thing.

The Paladin sounds like everything I want out of the non-soldier type classes, and the Devastator is just my play style with soldiers in the first place.

I may be online this weekend: Xbox Live gamertag: Yakostovian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Partof1 View Post
    I'm thankful for the pistol ULM. I have the Carny II on my casters, and my recharge is at around +194%
    I don't have Ultra-Light Materials, sadly. Not even for SMGs.

And I hadn't thought aabout the Cerberus/Slayer similarity. Makes me a little less eager to unlock the Slayer now, I'll admit.
    Keep in mind that this is specifically with my build for them, which ignores their third power. There's not much similarity between Lash and Phase Disruptor, save that they're both long-range. Really, the biggest thing is that Biotic Slash and Smash are so similar - it really feels like the former is just a longer-range, maybe slightly weaker version of the latter. Though Biotic Slash can't prime combos, so there is that.

Zevox

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

It's awesome! You have to be careful that you don't get carried away, though. It's just so much fun to warp in and chop up Marauders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

So, jus update, MEs 2&3 have been ordered, and are set to arrive the 2nd-6th.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

16. - Top - End - #946
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Just quick update for my equipment purchases. I finally got a destroyer off a veteran pack. This is after purchasing 10 different specter types packs regular and higher. I had not gotten an unlock of a single of new character with any of them. There are some really odd random generators going on in this game.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quite a productive day - I picked up the Indra I, Talon II and my second Phoenix Vanguard in 4 Spectre packs. That is quite easily the best set of unlocks I've come across in a long time.

Can anyone tell me if the Indra has explosive ammunition or not? I was running it with Extended Barrel and Increased Clip, and it's penetration versus Guardian shields seems even worse than the Raptor with the same upgrades. Either the automatic Sniper Rifles have been nerfed since I last used them, or my aim is even more screwed up than I thought.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I found something that can make Firebase London bearable. Being a Krogan Vanguard. Oh boy, but I'd forgotten what it's like to be so ungodly durable and powerful that cover just doesn't matter.

Unfortunately it turns out I was carrying a group of people who don't know how to play on London, so when I got impaled by a Phantom in wave 8 of that, my teammates proceeded to stay in the middle of the map and quickly get overwhelmed, causing us to fail the mission. But hey, all was going well until that point at least, which is not something I can say for any other game I've had on that map.

Zevox

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the Indra has explosive ammunition or not? I was running it with Extended Barrel and Increased Clip, and it's penetration versus Guardian shields seems even worse than the Raptor with the same upgrades. Either the automatic Sniper Rifles have been nerfed since I last used them, or my aim is even more screwed up than I thought.
    No, the Indra fires normal rounds. It doesn't have any innate penetration, either, so without the piercing mods you'll have to hope for mailslot shots.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I have to ask: is the Cerberus Harrier the most ridiculously overpowered thing in the game? Because if it's not, I must be missing something weird. I just had a couple games where one teammate using that (at rank 3, no expendable items equipped) was chewing through enemies at a ridiculous rate, including dropping Atlas and Banshee armor in the time it would take me to do a single biotic combo with my Asari Adept. It was like it had the firepower and accuracy of a moderate-to-strong sniper rifle with the firing rate of an automatic assault rifle. It was really quite scary, honestly.

Got a pretty good Premium pack just now though. Eviscerator boosted to rank 7 (it is now officially lighter than my Katana X, making it my default shotgun), a new gear that boosts tech power damage, and my Disciple and Geth Plasma SMG both boosted to rank 4. Not too many ways that could be made better for me - maybe trade the rares for a new class I want and a Particle Rifle, but that's about it, and there's no way I'll ever get that lucky in a single pack.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-07-28 at 09:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, I have to ask: is the Cerberus Harrier the most ridiculously overpowered thing in the game? Because if it's not, I must be missing something weird. I just had a couple games where one teammate using that (at rank 3, no expendable items equipped) was chewing through enemies at a ridiculous rate, including dropping Atlas and Banshee armor in the time it would take me to do a single biotic combo with my Asari Adept. It was like it had the firepower and accuracy of a moderate-to-strong sniper rifle with the firing rate of an automatic assault rifle. It was really quite scary, honestly.
    Arguably the best assault rifle, yes, rivalled by the Typhoon. It does suffer from poor ammo capacity, though. I wish I had one though, particularly since I just got a Destroyer and neither my Revenant or Sabre are quite hitting the spot. I've also now gotten my Krysae, Pirahna and Acolyte to X; only the Reegar left, currently sitting on IV. Harrier/Typhoon now, plzthx.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

22. - Top - End - #952

I swear the Harrier was introduced as comparable to the Mattock, way back when. Automatic, faster rate of fire, but slightly lower damage. Either that isn't the case, or I do not remember what the Mattock was like.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ettin in the Playground

I swear the Harrier was introduced as comparable to the Mattock, way back when. Automatic, faster rate of fire, but slightly lower damage. Either that isn't the case, or I do not remember what the Mattock was like.
    An upgrade for the Mattock. They aren't all that similar except in accuracy and appearance, though.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

Pulled two ultra rares in one premium spectre pack, a Saber I and a Talon I... I'll never get this lucky again.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Banned

Got a pretty good Premium pack just now though. Eviscerator boosted to rank 7 (it is now officially lighter than my Katana X, making it my default shotgun), a new gear that boosts tech power damage, and my Disciple and Geth Plasma SMG both boosted to rank 4. Not too many ways that could be made better for me - maybe trade the rares for a new class I want and a Particle Rifle, but that's about it, and there's no way I'll ever get that lucky in a single pack.

Zevox
    Yes. It is the most powerful assault rifle that is not ultra rare. The particle rifle on a destroyer does about the same but with pinpoint accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Pulled two ultra rares in one premium spectre pack, a Saber I and a Talon I... I'll never get this lucky again.
    nice!

-

Looked at my weapons. I have three ranks of widow and Krysae, four ranks of disciple, and most of the piranha, reegar and acolyte to go. Which means I need as many guns as classes. Here is hoping that woks out in my favor!

Lot of trouble extracting. Hope we can make the group goal this time

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. It is the most powerful assault rifle that is not ultra rare.
    Er, it is ultra-rare. I got one the other day, and it definitely had the black border. The wiki appears to agree with me as well.

Lot of trouble extracting. Hope we can make the group goal this time
    So do I. That free new class interests me far more than the weapons they give out in the commendation packs. Though I've earned the commendation pack anyway, since the goal this time was so generic, plus there's been a ton of people playing the new classes. Heck, I very nearly had a game with a team of four Demolishers earlier.

Zevox

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

Phoooooooon!

I finally got a Typhoon, and it's amazing. I spent the entire first wave I used it laughing hysterically, it's amazing fun to use. Weirdly, according to the numbers it's not that great; just a Revenant with twice the accuracy, 2/3 the damage and more recoil. I found the recoil minimal and the damage excellent; I could chew through an Atlas on silver in about a clip and a half. Played around with it until I had enough for another PSP and got the Demolisher. Excellent day.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #958
    Troll in the Playground

I believe we did mention to you that the Harrier is very good before? Well, that's how good it is.

The big downside on it is the tiny ammo capacity. Using it as your main weapon means continuously travelling back and forth between ammo pickups - or playing Demolisher.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

29. - Top - End - #959
    Banned

Er, it is ultra-rare. I got one the other day, and it definitely had the black border. The wiki appears to agree with me as well.
    Yes it is. And having seen someone say that I realise I knew the whole time, and am just being a numpty. Let's move on!

So do I. That free new class interests me far more than the weapons they give out in the commendation packs. Though I've earned the commendation pack anyway, since the goal this time was so generic, plus there's been a ton of people playing the new classes. Heck, I very nearly had a game with a team of four Demolishers earlier.

Zevox
    Good times. Having a couple demolishers on the field is a good day. I've found I get the best results by putting my pylon somewhere the rest of the party can use it, and being mobile. With two demolishers, this strategy is ace. It's amazing having a class wiht plenty of grenades to go around! And my comrades are greedy wee monkeys, graspin a bean and gettting their hand stuck in a tree. They allcamp the pylon whilke I hit all the ammo dumps as necessary~

Oh, and you were right. Arc grenade, with a boost to radius quickly became my grenade of choice because it could help before I actually, you know, die. Good call on that one. I'm not sure I'm willing to drop the damage from homing grenades though, so I may max grenades and pylon, and either drop fitness or forsake the last level of the passive. We shall see, and I'll tell you how it goes.

30. - Top - End - #960

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Phoooooooon!

I finally got a Typhoon, and it's amazing. I spent the entire first wave I used it laughing hysterically, it's amazing fun to use. Weirdly, according to the numbers it's not that great; just a Revenant with twice the accuracy, 2/3 the damage and more recoil. I found the recoil minimal and the damage excellent; I could chew through an Atlas on silver in about a clip and a half. Played around with it until I had enough for another PSP and got the Demolisher. Excellent day.

The Typhoon may do less damage per shot BUT it has an in build armour reduction ability. Something like ignoring half of the armour on the target. That is why it chews through targets better than the Revenant - against armoured targets it does more damage per shot, more accurately.