New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.6: Are you engaging in reproductive behavior with this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The valiant at rank 1 was my top performing sniper weapon, do its definitely worth a use. A personal favorite is fire base: reactor. It's the one gun that makes that level not suck.

And my impression is that on an armor piercing mod, the "penetrate X distance through objects at Y reduced damage" and the "ignore Z percent of enemy armor protection" are separate functions. A sniper rifle with AP mod, will do more damage to an unshielded atlas than it would to guardian.

I use the AP mod and extended barrel unless I am using an armor penetrating rifle like the javelin or black widow. Then I trade the AP mod out for the fancy scope.
    The Valiant is my favourite sniper rifle, possibly tied with the Mantis.

And you're dead on with the effects of the AP mods. "Penetrate X meters of cover at Y% damage" is a completely separate effect to "ignore Z% of armour". If you don't shoot through cover, you do full damage and still benefit from the armour reduction. Which is why it's actually sometimes better than the Extended barrel on higher difficulties, since killing the big things like Primes and Banshees is so important and they all have armour.

Though it's also a good idea to use it on guns that have built in penetration - they don't have any natural armour reduction and, I think, the cover penetration stacks.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Banned

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.6: Are you engaging in reproductive behavior with this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    The Valiant is my favourite sniper rifle, possibly tied with the Mantis.

And you're dead on with the effects of the AP mods. "Penetrate X meters of cover at Y% damage" is a completely separate effect to "ignore Z% of armour". If you don't shoot through cover, you do full damage and still benefit from the armour reduction. Which is why it's actually sometimes better than the Extended barrel on higher difficulties, since killing the big things like Primes and Banshees is so important and they all have armour.

Though it's also a good idea to use it on guns that have built in penetration - they don't have any natural armour reduction and, I think, the cover penetration stacks.
    Aye. One of Arbitrarity's more salient points; on any gun where +25% damage is less than 50*number of projectiles (screwing most shotguns BAD), you're better off with AP mod. I still want to go through every gun and guesstimate when it's better to use AP over extended barrel.

However. The AP mod does NOT stack with innate armr piercing. It overlaps.
    A crusader shotgun (single slug, innate AP) will kill a guardian with a body shot through the shield, and do 35 less damage to an armored target on silver.
    The same crusader with a shredder mod will not kill a guardian with a single shot, but will do more damage to an armored target.

It was a big thing for a while. The javelin can shoot through a meter at full damage on its own, or 1.5 meters with the AP mod. But adding te AP mod meant you were much less likely to kill the target. Same with widow and black widow, because the percentage decrease is so much more noticeable at high damage output.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ogre in the Playground

Is this the story that everyone since has asked to be spoilered?
    And I'd like to point out again that technically, having two mass effect trilogy threads, even with separate focus, is against forum regs.
    I did spoiler that by the time that post was made, although there was also a lot of response to it that could also qualify as spoilers. In other news, I'm gonna grab the EC and do my male Shepard and a re-import of my female with it.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Banned

Sounds good! You do need a fresh start. I tried going through it all again just to see if I coul lark the new material, and nothing. I started putting bullets into Starkid out of frustration. At least I finally got to punch Fai-Leng to death.

Saving up for leviathan now. Apparently the weapon pack has already been released? Does anyone know if Leviathan is out now or not?

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Saving up for leviathan now. Apparently the weapon pack has already been released? Does anyone know if Leviathan is out now or not?
    The release date for Leviathan is August 28th. Don't know about the weapon pack - and I honestly don't think I'll get it, as I'm loath to spend money on something so minor.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Troll in the Playground

I've sat down and calculated how many Premium Spectre Packs I need to buy to get everything: 162.

Good thing I've switched to Gold matches.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    I've sat down and calculated how many Premium Spectre Packs I need to buy to get everything: 162.

Good thing I've switched to Gold matches.
    Define "everything"? Does that include all the gear upgrades (counting each one you don't have as five rares)?
    I need a Phoenix adept and a couple appearance options and a slayer. And that about it. Though the ultra rares would be nice. Wouldn't mind some more particle rifle. Especially if its clip size increases.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=SiuiS;13735427]Sounds good! You do need a fresh start. I tried going through it all again just to see if I coul lark the new material, and nothing. I started putting bullets into Starkid out of frustration. At least I finally got to punch Fai-Leng to death.[QUOTE]

Male Shepard is now in position to attack earth, and killed FL with a point-blank geth pulse rifle shot to the face. Oddly, even biotics still use an omni-blade for that one kill.

ALSO: Don't know if this transfers into multiplayer well, bit I like using a Phaestrom (or whatever, that Turian rifle) or a geth rifle with extended mags and either a scope or piercing. Even at level V, they're still 10-shot kills or so on an assault trooper, but they work very well for supression/sustained fire in chokepoints.
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2012-08-16 at 09:55 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Troll in the Playground

Define "everything"? Does that include all the gear upgrades (counting each one you don't have as five rares)?
    I need a Phoenix adept and a couple appearance options and a slayer. And that about it. Though the ultra rares would be nice. Wouldn't mind some more particle rifle. Especially if its clip size increases.
    Everything is 10 ranks in all weapons (including ultra rares), 5 rank in all gear/weapon upgrades, and all appearance upgrades.

I'm missing about 5 classes, a few ultra rare weapons and almost all the new weapon upgrades (not that I miss those).

P.S. Demolisher is easy mode for Gold. Only annoyance are Phantoms and Banshees (stupid invulnerable to power shields) =P

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Spamalot in the Playground

Random comments:

I really, really, really want my Revenant and Widow higher for my Demolisher

Shadow is doing very well in Gold. It still gets bloody insane with the Banshees everywhere on Reapers, but Cerberus is quite manageable when you can sneak up on Phantoms. I still usually have to avoid Atlases, but they tend to get focused by the team anyway. But one thing that I was never told about Gold is that reviving teammates apparently breaks cloak! Wtf Bioware! Thankfully they usually take long enough to notice me that I can run to cover and reapply before the baddies surround me.

Lastly, I dusted off my Gethgineer ("Bit"; the infltrator is Byte) and was reminded how much fun he is. I specced into Healing Turret, Chain Overload and Power HM, then grabbed the sniper rifle lighten evolution, letting me hit 198% with the Viper and Avenger/Eviscerator. My tissue shields notwithstanding (the healing helps a lot with that), everyone loves me for objectives - a healing turret makes a surprising number of classes unstoppable, and I can either stick it up in the sniper nest with me or toss it out wherever the vanguards happen to charge to.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Troll in the Playground

Whee! I unlocked the Fury. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure how to spec her, particularly how I should set up Dark Channel.

Any suggestions folks?
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here's how I did my fury:
    Dark Channel 6 (Damage, Recharge, Pierce)
    Annihilation Field 6 (Damage, Damage, Damage)
    Throw 5 (Force, Detonate)
    Fury 5 (Power damage, Power Damage)
    Fitness 3

I think that's right... hard to remember. I only built her once, liked it so much I haven't respec'd or promoted.

She's like a machine gun with explosions, especailly with someone else to detonate with. The Annihilation field is great for damaging anything that gets close and sets up for a mean explosion.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

13. - Top - End - #1243

^ is your Throw 5 or 6? Combo damage is based on ranks, so leaving that last point out would be doing yourself a disservice.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Reset my Fury today and started to seriously use her, so much bioticy explodey goodness.

Question though, does the Impact Bonus tier 4 skill for Annihilation Field only increase the radius of the detonation effect for the Field or does it also increase the Field's passive radius?

In other news I'm aiming to get my Shadow up to Gold quality so any advice on the two specs I'm considering would be appreciated. Thinking of giving the latter a try, at least until they fix the issue of power improving SS (or have they done that already?).

Split between SS and ES
    Tactical Cloak: 6 (Duration, Melee, 2 Power)
    Electric Strike: 6 (Damage, Detonate, Damage)
    Shadow Strike: 6 (Damage, DoT, Damage)
    N7 Shadow: 0
    Sword Mastery: 6 (Sword, Martial, +50% Armor)

or

Sole focus on SS with ES as a backup
    Tactical Cloak: 6 (Duration, Melee, 2 Power)
    Electric Strike: 3
    Shadow Strike: 6 (Damage, DoT, Damage)
    N7 Shadow: 5 (Power/Cap, Power)
    Sword Mastery: 6 (Sword, Martial, +50% Armor)

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Banned

Anihilation field rank four increases Explosion radius only. You're enter off getting the damage boost by far.

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Male Shepard is now in position to attack earth, and killed FL with a point-blank geth pulse rifle shot to the face. Oddly, even biotics still use an omni-blade for that one kill.
    It's a sign of how personal it is. I could rip you apart? Sure. But no. I want to feel the knife sliding into his ribs, feeling his gasps and spasms echo through the blade... Yeah.
    Bagger.

ALSO: Don't know if this transfers into multiplayer well, bit I like using a Phaestrom (or whatever, that Turian rifle) or a geth rifle with extended mags and either a scope or piercing. Even at level V, they're still 10-shot kills or so on an assault trooper, but they work very well for supression/sustained fire in chokepoints.
    Both are good, though I prefer the Phaeston. Geth pulse rifle with scope and extended magazine is a laser beam, and the multiplayer also has a melee damage boosting omniblade bayonet which looks TOTALLY WICKED on the pulse rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Everything is 10 ranks in all weapons (including ultra rares), 5 rank in all gear/weapon upgrades, and all appearance upgrades.

I'm missing about 5 classes, a few ultra rare weapons and almost all the new weapon upgrades (not that I miss those).

P.S. Demolisher is easy mode for Gold. Only annoyance are Phantoms and Banshees (stupid invulnerable to power shields) =P
    Nice.

Try tossing the arc grenades behind the phantom; her DR is only from the front, sides and top (and maybe bottom). Not sure about the status effects though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Whee! I unlocked the Fury. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure how to spec her, particularly how I should set up Dark Channel.

Any suggestions folks?
    Dark channel and throw at low level, Anihilation field later, pick up fitness whenever you have 1-3 spare points that aren't going anywhere, and then passive.

Dark channel is boss. The DoT effect is exceptional, as is the jumping. With the rank four time bonus, you can smack an atlas with dark channel and walk away, and almost a minute later it's still wounded. It's the best set and forget if you new to run away for Mobs of enemies, because whenever someone does they pass it on. It's like givin your enemies a venereal disease. I personally went or damage, though. Can't remember my last two ranks.

Throw has a standard spec, detonations and force.flat damage is a nice perk, too.

Anihilation field is an occasional life saver, as it damages enemies even when you're down. It's possible that troopers trying to stomp you will keep over afterwards, or before. Husks running by get creamed. Tha phantom who camps your body takes damage and is primed for an explosion. And with the shield drain evolution, my personal favorite, I can not only idiot rush a banshee and survive, but getting picked up after a phantom knocks you down gives you full barriers.

I would suggest holding off on fitness if you want dark channel. Use expendables for your shields instead. Another build forsakes dark channel for full fitness and gets almost melee happy, using only throw and Anihilation field. It's not too bad, bit not my cup o coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ^ is your Throw 5 or 6? Combo damage is based on ranks, so leaving that last point out would be doing yourself a disservice.
    probably. His build as listed has a spare six points. Maybe it was indecision or leaving it open or customization?
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-08-16 at 06:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a sign of how personal it is. I could rip you apart? Sure. But no. I want to feel the knife sliding into his ribs, feeling his gasps and spasms echo through the blade... Yeah.
    Bagger.
    But how much more personal would it be for Shepard to slam his biotically charged fist into KL's chest, shattering his ribcage and reaching into his body until he finds his foe's heart, wraps his fingers around it, and squeezes... (insert evil grin)

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So I just tried Platinum the first time. Two Primes, wave 1, my god. I guess a small mercy is that my game froze mid-wave and I needed to drop out. At the very least, it'll make sure I have the right weaponry next time (I forgot to change it from default and went in with an Avenger and a sidearm). So yeah, complete and utter fiasco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Banned

But how much more personal would it be for Shepard to slam his biotically charged fist into KL's chest, shattering his ribcage and reaching into his body until he finds his foe's heart, wraps his fingers around it, and squeezes... (insert evil grin)
    Nah, it would just do what every other biotic punch does, and knock Failing flying. I don't want that.

Unless I knock him through the view screen into the sun. That would e acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    So I just tried Platinum the first time. Two Primes, wave 1, my god. I guess a small mercy is that my game froze mid-wave and I needed to drop out. At the very least, it'll make sure I have the right weaponry next time (I forgot to change it from default and went in with an Avenger and a sidearm). So yeah, complete and utter fiasco.
    I got cocky one day and tried a platinum game. Callos can back me up on this one.

The plan was for the host to survive as long as possible, while the other players dropped out when they died, only to rejoin later. We were fighting reapers.

On wave three, I come in as my geth engineer. I turn, and try to overload a group of cannibals that are giving Callos grief. I turn on hunter mode instead. BOOM! Eight high speed geth hunters converging on my
    Position. I screamed like a wee filly.

Since then, I've found platinum to be about protection and control. Enemies are herded, with one contingent guaranteeing you aren't swamped. Hydra is an ironically good map for this. Anythiń which hits hard, hits multiple targets, can stagger, can prime and can detonate is a good idea. And
    You're not getting very far without goo guns, unfortunately.

I still want to try a biotic hit squad, dropping warps, reaves, and dark channels everywhere. But there is always that idiot who says "oh, yeah okay" when I say use only warp or only throw, and continues spamming his combos (both parts).

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

You're not getting very far without goo guns, unfortunately.
    Your unintentional phone-related typoes are always hilarious...

(I'm now seeing everyone running around with those slime blowers out of Ghostbusters the Video Game...!)

That... might actually even work.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-08-17 at 06:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I would say that I can't believe his phone thinks 'goo' is a more likely word than 'good', but my phone insists all sentences must start with a word beginning with 'qv' which would seem to me the apex of autocorrect-related stupid.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, it would just do what every other biotic punch does, and knock Failing flying. I don't want that.

Unless I knock him through the view screen into the sun. That would e acceptable.
    Grab him by the throat and follow up with a biotic spartan kick. Only problem is the decompression. Or just a biotic knee in the crotch...
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2012-08-17 at 11:26 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1252

When I read "goo guns" I was thinking "...particle rifles? "

I have yet to try Platinum... don't think I will until i have medigel capacity either.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ettin in the Playground

I have yet to try Platinum... don't think I will until i have medigel capacity either.
    I haven't run into any medigel problems in Platinum; I find people tend to stick within reviving distance of each other.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ogre in the Playground

I find that Charge is useful in situations where I loose my shields. I have it set up so that on a sucessful hit, I get back almost all my shields instantly.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

(I'm now seeing everyone running around with those slime blowers out of Ghostbusters the Video Game...!)

That... might actually even work.
    Now if only we knew any good hackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    I would say that I can't believe his phone thinks 'goo' is a more likely word than 'good', but my phone insists all sentences must start with a word beginning with 'qv' which would seem to me the apex of autocorrect-related stupid.
    The number of times my phone had gone "that word sounds too smart, did you mean this instead?" and "corrected" an appropriate word into the wrong one is phenomenal. I wish I could think of a good example...

Ah. Psychic occasionally comes out pas paycheck... Without any actual typographical error on my part.

When I read "goo guns" I was thinking "...particle rifles? "

Good call. You don't always need to gel, but when you do...
    It's often an instance of "guys, run away. I'll use a medial when you pull the nine banshees off me. No! Don't revive me you putz!", and it is frequently more prudent to destroy anything in the area BEFORE reviving your ally, which occasionally means they will bleed out while you prevent a double homicide.

I find that Charge is useful in situations where I loose my shields. I have it set up so that on a sucessful hit, I get back almost all my shields instantly.
    yes. Get recharge at 200%, carry a light shotgun, and use both charge and nova. It's easy mode, even on insanity.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ettin in the Playground

Maxed out my first gear! It's the Stronghold package, so something I'll be using a lot. Sweet.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Banned

Good gear, that. It basically supplements and replaces fitness. I know for a fact that I lose a good deal of longevity if I wee have te temerity to equip something else.

So playing ME 1, an I have to say I miss the mechanics. Shield bypass, damage reduction as health boosts/shield boosts and recharge; shield bypass weapons and high-damage weapons. Snapping off a cryo round sniper shot breaking off a good chunk of enemy health while also lowering shields, or piercing kinetics via phasing rounds, or whittling away shields with toxic shots, or even basic ammunition affecting enemy accuracy and recharge. Even enemies using the same powers on you! I enjoy that enemies can throw, stasis, dampen and overload me as well as I them. The whole thing had a much less superpowers feel, and more hard science fiction.

Mass effect 2 kept some of these; cryo rounds damaged shields, for instance. But even these don't seem to have been kept! Why not? Mass effect 3 could easily have had ammo be something you need to purchase and equip, outfitting your squad with expendables before each mission just like guns and powers. Cryo rounds against barriers makes sense, even if doing more damage to barriers in ruder to get to health quicker is a poor substitute for dealing some damage to health through shields. Cryo, phasic and toxic rounds doing damage despite shields makes sense. As does melee! That they removed this is a terrible disservice to the setting in favor of being a better shooter.

One thing I find interesting though is that rockets also ignore barriers. Makes perfect sense! Except it hurts bad. I'm also curious as to why barriers got their own separate effect as a shield, when the difference between a shield and a barrier is whether or not there is an organic component to the circuitry. A biotic being able to supplement their shields temporarily makes perfect sense, where a constant exuding of psychic force at all times capable of stopping hyper velocity slugs? Some of the design goals of the original seem to have been lost in favor of shooting. That sucks.

Also also, I'm talking to Tali for the first time, and I have to admit they were pushing the synth/organo conflict harder than I remembered. Not only does the AI gambling machine insists that due to the prejudice organs hold against AI, it has no choice but to prime it's explosives and kill them all. And then Tali says they attacked the geth because the geth attacking was inevitable! Granted, both d these have entirely separate, equally important explanations. "I'm a criminal created in an abusive situation who has no trust so I will murder you", and "out slaves were waking up, realizing they were slaves. If they ever developed rifts we would look bad, so we killed them."

There is also that AI research was illegal before the wuarians worked on the geth. So there was a preexisting ban on artificial intelligence, so the council already had a problem with it... But all of this strikes me as the exception that proves the rule. The supposed inevitable conflict between synthetics and organics is set up, exposed as ignorant prejudice and base racism, and thwarted and subverted at every turn. Which just makes me think that maybe somewhere along the lines the idea pitch guys and the 'know how storytelling works' guys had some disconnect.

Istanna Shepard is heading to find Liara shortly. A sojourn to Noveria ende with a surprising freedom for the rachni and the execution of everyone in the base. I realize I didn't care enough to use the paragon/renegade glitch, so I blitzed through it. Throughout, we've developed an understanding. Istanna is inherently racist, but because her species is just better. And her military is better than her species, and her unit status trumps even that! She's pretty full of herself. Getting a lot of paragon stuff as relates o being proud of military and SPECTRE status, and she considers the Normandy to be her 'mount'. This led to telling that admiral to go **** himself when he insisted on doing an inspection and insisted my beautiful warhorse ship was merely a beast of burden with average breeding. We have a healthy respect for the Krogan, and so far have no problem letting the quarians rot in space because we can't e arsed to make them burn properly. It's turning into an interesting run.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Good gear, that. It basically supplements and replaces fitness. I know for a fact that I lose a good deal of longevity if I wee have te temerity to equip something else.

So playing ME 1, an I have to say I miss the mechanics. Shield bypass, damage reduction as health boosts/shield boosts and recharge; shield bypass weapons and high-damage weapons. Snapping off a cryo round sniper shot breaking off a good chunk of enemy health while also lowering shields, or piercing kinetics via phasing rounds, or whittling away shields with toxic shots, or even basic ammunition affecting enemy accuracy and recharge. Even enemies using the same powers on you! I enjoy that enemies can throw, stasis, dampen and overload me as well as I them. The whole thing had a much less superpowers feel, and more hard science fiction.

Mass effect 2 kept some of these; cryo rounds damaged shields, for instance. But even these don't seem to have been kept! Why not? Mass effect 3 could easily have had ammo be something you need to purchase and equip, outfitting your squad with expendables before each mission just like guns and powers. Cryo rounds against barriers makes sense, even if doing more damage to barriers in ruder to get to health quicker is a poor substitute for dealing some damage to health through shields. Cryo, phasic and toxic rounds doing damage despite shields makes sense. As does melee! That they removed this is a terrible disservice to the setting in favor of being a better shooter.

One thing I find interesting though is that rockets also ignore barriers. Makes perfect sense! Except it hurts bad. I'm also curious as to why barriers got their own separate effect as a shield, when the difference between a shield and a barrier is whether or not there is an organic component to the circuitry. A biotic being able to supplement their shields temporarily makes perfect sense, where a constant exuding of psychic force at all times capable of stopping hyper velocity slugs? Some of the design goals of the original seem to have been lost in favor of shooting. That sucks.

Also also, I'm talking to Tali for the first time, and I have to admit they were pushing the synth/organo conflict harder than I remembered. Not only does the AI gambling machine insists that due to the prejudice organs hold against AI, it has no choice but to prime it's explosives and kill them all. And then Tali says they attacked the geth because the geth attacking was inevitable! Granted, both d these have entirely separate, equally important explanations. "I'm a criminal created in an abusive situation who has no trust so I will murder you", and "out slaves were waking up, realizing they were slaves. If they ever developed rifts we would look bad, so we killed them."

There is also that AI research was illegal before the wuarians worked on the geth. So there was a preexisting ban on artificial intelligence, so the council already had a problem with it... But all of this strikes me as the exception that proves the rule. The supposed inevitable conflict between synthetics and organics is set up, exposed as ignorant prejudice and base racism, and thwarted and subverted at every turn. Which just makes me think that maybe somewhere along the lines the idea pitch guys and the 'know how storytelling works' guys had some disconnect.

Istanna Shepard is heading to find Liara shortly. A sojourn to Noveria ende with a surprising freedom for the rachni and the execution of everyone in the base. I realize I didn't care enough to use the paragon/renegade glitch, so I blitzed through it. Throughout, we've developed an understanding. Istanna is inherently racist, but because her species is just better. And her military is better than her species, and her unit status trumps even that! She's pretty full of herself. Getting a lot of paragon stuff as relates o being proud of military and SPECTRE status, and she considers the Normandy to be her 'mount'. This led to telling that admiral to go **** himself when he insisted on doing an inspection and insisted my beautiful warhorse ship was merely a beast of burden with average breeding. We have a healthy respect for the Krogan, and so far have no problem letting the quarians rot in space because we can't e arsed to make them burn properly. It's turning into an interesting run.
    I must agree that I miss the old mechanics. I really never understood why Throw can't work on shielded targets. Seriously, if it's powerful enough to knock unshielded opponents across the room, it should be able to at least knock a shielded opponent down. And why is it that inferno can't work on shielded enemies in ME2, but it works on my shields just fine?

And while I'm at it, shouldn't cryo ammo be the most powerful kind of ammo? According to the description in ME, it should be dealing massive damage to the health of organic targets, it should be causing havoc with the inner workings of synthetic targets, as well as messing with shield systems. And getting frozen ought to be instant death to any organic targets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Troll in the Playground

Well on Throw I understand how it works. Those shields are powerful. (this only works if health is really just basic armor. Because guns kill, and health bars are unrealistic.)

A bigger question for me is why do headshots do more damage against shield and barrier protected enemies? Sure, it should do more against health, but why do shots directed at the head cost more energy to hold back? If anything, you'd think the shields would be designed specifically with protecting the head in mind (like with an entirely separate ME field generator just for the head and neck with it's own power supply.)
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2012-08-19 at 12:44 AM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Banned

I can understand the health bar thing. Armor reduces the damage of whatever gets through, turning a full speed slug into a heavy punch. Being shot by a Carnifex is like Being kicked repeatedly by a horse. It may not go trough you by it will still kill eventually. That's the best way to explain the interaction of armor skills (reducing the damage taken) and fitness skills increasing the actual health you take. You also have constant supplies of medial being funneled around by the suit, sealing off any scrapes and facilitating soft tissue healing. You only "dump" a bunch into your system when severely hurt. That's why it has a cool down.

Of course, the impression I got from Mass Effect 1 is that the future guns don't do too much more force. A mass accelerated granule o sand should hit roughly as hard as a high-power bullet from a modern weapon. You don't need much more, right? Ignoring different methods I imparting that energy, we have super efficient, full body body armor, shield generators on recharge, and everyone has at the least a semi-automatic fifty caliber in their pocket. The interactions make some sense there. It's also why warp, doin six damage a second, can still destroy a target's health.

If shields are just mass effect barriers though, and two mass effect fields set to strike each other create dissonance and cause explosions, then shouldn't using throw on a shielded target create a biotic detonation? Or is there a difference between biotics and a mass effect field I'm not aware of?